Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 2, 2015 7:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm so we get more focus about Yuriko this episode including her background story and family relations again. Lol @ the crappy drawing, so silly.

Info dumping aside, I thought it was an okay episode especially about Shoutarou's past and the pudding with her grandma. The emphasis of past events connecting to the present along with the interpersonal relations made it kinda interesting. I hope pacing picks up a bit though.

Stark700Dec 2, 2015 10:24 AM
Dec 2, 2015 10:37 AM

Jul 2013
No actual case this time around. Just a grandmother themed episode between Shoutarou and Yuriko. Pretty chill.

I'm really curious who that girl is at the end. And what Sakurako meant to bring the memories to an end.
Dec 2, 2015 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
that ending was mysterious.
when are they going to reveal the past already?!1! q_q
Dec 2, 2015 11:02 AM

Jul 2010
The relationship between grandparents and grandchildren, it was nice to see.

The whole thing where Sakurako avoids topics that have to do with being sentimental; to view it from an outsider's perspective makes things a lot easier to cope, kind of like running away. All her actions does seem like a facade, as she has been shown to care, especially in the 2nd half of this episode.

I don't mind at all if this is just an emotional ride.
Dec 2, 2015 11:11 AM

Jan 2008
Have I been exercising in my sleep? Because my eyes won't stop sweating (ಥДಥ)

A great episode dedicated to grandmas. Was nice to see the granny in the spotlight too when she solved a mystery before even Sakurako.

Looks like next week we have something to do with a dysfunctional family and the teacher.
Dec 2, 2015 11:17 AM

Mar 2015
And I used to thought that some mysteries in Hyouka were too forced. Somehow both halves of the episode seemed too similar - a one story with more development would have been more powerful. Now they surely have some emotional value, but really doesn't lead the story anywhere.
Shoutaro seems to remain not the brightest one - who would have thought that his grandma would ask him to buy his favourite food instead of all others?
Glowing dog, while maintaining only one facial expression, is still amusing.
Backgrounds and art in general retains the quality, but with only 3 episodes left I still feel disappointed that this show tends to be more a slice of life and less a mystery without any really memorable stories and just barely touched characters.
Hey!

Check Mononoke out!
Dec 2, 2015 11:36 AM

Jul 2014
Still waiting for explanations on that shady guy from a few episodes back and what his role is, and instead we get this. Lame.
Dec 2, 2015 11:44 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
The moral of this episode ladies and gentlemen is to cherish all of the little moments with your loved ones and especially your grandparents by never taking it lightly

This episode was truly beautiful....However that ending with Sakurako and the girl sprouting butterfly wings was very eerie
Dec 2, 2015 11:55 AM

Nov 2012
meh episode....
Ok, a little nice the whole grandma appreciation on this episode, but where does this anime is going...
Dec 2, 2015 11:59 AM

Feb 2015
Everything will be interesting in the next episode.

Damn! that face!
The second half was really a good backstory from Shoutarou. Good episode overall.
Seriously, that creepy girl in the end, who is that? she said "Sensei" In the end. did she mean Sakurako ? or another person?
Dec 2, 2015 12:05 PM

Nov 2012
great episode with focus on grandparents and grandchildren, i loved it. i wonder who the girl at the end is though :o
Dec 2, 2015 12:08 PM

Apr 2010
I really liked Kougami in this episode especially when she was teasing Tatewaki.
What really stood out to me during that moment was her behaviour it was very realistic, something that's often missing in anime and Light Novels.

Tatewaki is very sentimental, which was apparent in the episode when they cleaned out the biology room but it was shown again during this episode.
He didn't realise his grandmothers intentions.
Dec 2, 2015 12:10 PM

Jul 2015
This episode really hit home since something similar happened with my grandma. Loved the over all feel of the episode and it's message. Cherish all moments.
Dec 2, 2015 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
A episode that focused on grandparents and grandchildren!

Good to know a little bit about Tatewaki's grandma!
Dec 2, 2015 12:27 PM

Mar 2014
Granny knows best

Dec 2, 2015 12:44 PM

Sep 2010

This was a pretty nice episode. =D

I'm still waiting on her appearance. This could be Sakurako's aunt.

This girl on the other hand has excited eyes. Uh oh.

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Dec 2, 2015 12:51 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Pretty good episode. I liked the second half more, pretty emotional. I just love this anime's OST, perfect!

4/5
Dec 2, 2015 12:52 PM

Feb 2015
Such a sweet episode. It had a calming effect.
But the ending was pretty mysterious though!
Dec 2, 2015 1:03 PM

Oct 2015
nice episode, relation between granmothers and granchilds, to tender. I understand a bit, because i lost my granfather 14 year ago.
Yuriko climbed in sakurako's popularity ladder. xD
Oba-chan's deduction and Sakurako with the pudin was funny moments.
nothing for waste.
I am Argentine, so is not very good my English, sorry for the many typing errors.

Dec 2, 2015 1:16 PM

Feb 2012
Shoutarou is such an aggravating twat, really can't stand him. Especially every goddam time he pulls the reins on Sakurako. Shoutarou can visit his grandma in hell, there I said it. >:(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2015 1:17 PM

Jan 2014
I'll give Yuriko some slack for the drawing, as it was drawn on the phone :P
I was confused about the end though, had Sakurako forgotten Shoutarou's name since Sawa said it to her while she looked at her with a confusing look. It also seemed like Sakurako wanted to say more than just "Take care" >->

Indeed a chilly episode, but it was pleasant to hear some more about Yuriko's and especially Shoutarou's past.
Dec 2, 2015 1:18 PM

Nov 2008
DesuTronic said:
Granny knows best

This series badly needs more of the above and a LOT less melodrama. I've become quite disappointed with where the story has gone.
Dec 2, 2015 1:32 PM

Jun 2011
I think the Anime was interesting at the beginning but the more it goes on the more I lose interest in it and find it boring. This episode for example was mostly boring.
kickmesign said:
Shoutarou is such an aggravating twat, really can't stand him. Especially every goddam time he pulls the reins on Sakurako. Shoutarou can visit his grandma in hell, there I said it. >:(
Don't worry I dislike him too. Wouldn't go as far as you to wish that he bites the dust though. I usually cringe at the weird affection to someone who gives you the cold shoulder and doesn't even call you by your name.
Don't exactly like Sakurako's attitude either the more the Anime goes on. She is like a small version of Yukino Yukinoshita, just not nearly as bad as her.
Hope that this gets intense in the last 3 episodes, else I will be left quite disappointed.
I'm feeling thank you
Dec 2, 2015 2:02 PM

May 2015
Pretty slow, but good episode. More Yuri is always good <3. That tale was pretty sad and beautiful at the same time. Now, that ending was pretty mysterious. Hope next episode will reveal more.

Dec 2, 2015 2:05 PM

Jul 2014
Anyone else got disconcerted just after the first part, when Sakurako and grandma were laughing together? For a moment their laughs merged into one unearthly sound and I was scared shitless. It was better than most disturbing laughs I have heard. Especially with the scene zooming in on a door at that moment, it looked like something sinister is just beyond it. It was just perfect!

(And then it was revealed that it's just Sakurako-granny duo -.-")
Dec 2, 2015 2:11 PM

Feb 2015
Good god that was boring. I can't believe people liked this episode literally nothing happened. I've seen other shows get absolutely blown apart on here for much less.

I have no idea where this show is going but the last few weeks have been like watching paint dry.
Dec 2, 2015 2:29 PM

Aug 2013
Yes, more Yuriko <3
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 2, 2015 2:48 PM

May 2014
I just get really annoyed how people find this show boring. People started watching this expecting like badass mysteries and stuff but this show really is more about death and dealing with the pain of losing someone. It's much more of a dark take on slice of life anime than anything else and I wish people would stop expecting something else. This episode was another great one. Amazing feels for those who understand the pain of losing a grandparent.
Dec 2, 2015 2:55 PM

Feb 2015
Ahoy_NATO said:
I just get really annoyed how people find this show boring. People started watching this expecting like badass mysteries and stuff but this show really is more about death and dealing with the pain of losing someone. It's much more of a dark take on slice of life anime than anything else and I wish people would stop expecting something else. This episode was another great one. Amazing feels for those who understand the pain of losing a grandparent.

I didn't know what to expect from this series but I didn't think it would be this dull. The first few episodes were great but over the last few weeks the show has ground to a halt. It deals with some serious subjects but this episode was boring. Get annoyed if you want but I get annoyed that people give this show allot of slack yet flame other series for minor issues.

Do I want to watch an entire episode about dead grandparents? no thanks
Dec 2, 2015 3:04 PM

Nov 2014
Well the episode was good, but there weren't any interesting mystery at all

Some of the reactions of the characters are a bit overdone or melodramatic, though they have been doing the same weeks ago so nothing new.
Dec 2, 2015 3:06 PM

Jan 2015
It's pretty clear as of now that this show is a slice of life with mystery elements.
This episode wasn't bad at all but i personally can't bring myself to care about them.
Dec 2, 2015 3:26 PM

Jan 2014
I'm sure of it now, that there is a connection between the two poisoned cats and Soutarou's death. The opening animation actually shows one child's skull and two cat skulls. I just hadn't noticed the latter before.

Ahoy_NATO said:

It's like complaining about the lack of mecha in Mushishi.

I really love this episode. I wonder whether the producers actually picked up on all the complaining about Sakurako's "mystery" sequence, because granny's "mystery" sequence seemed like more than just a comical variation, or did no one else get that to begin with?
Aversa said:
I really liked Kougami in this episode especially when she was teasing Tatewaki.
What really stood out to me during that moment was her behaviour it was very realistic, something that's often missing in anime and Light Novels.

Yes that was very well done. What I don't get though is that that scene seemed to push Kougami x Isozaki sensei again, yet at the same time we see the Sakurako x Shoutarou ship drifting closer to shore. Are we gonna have a Kougami x Isozaki + Sakurako x fiancé + Shoutarou x foreveralone ending?
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Dec 2, 2015 3:26 PM

Jan 2012
Well grannies were the focus this week, the reasoning behind their actions, and the bonds shared with them. Very sentimental outing. Sakurako claims not to understand, but I think she does, to an extent anyway. That ending was rather ominous though...does this Hitoe intend to kill herself?
Dec 2, 2015 3:35 PM

Dec 2014
Alright info dumping episode I guess.

Though holy shit, whats up with the girl in the post-credits? Maybe we'll find out soon.
Dec 2, 2015 3:58 PM

Sep 2014
Got a headache during watching this episode, I kinda just sat through it getting bored. The start of this series was great, but it's turning to be pretty meh.
Dec 2, 2015 4:00 PM

Aug 2015
ichigo_daisuki said:

This was a pretty nice episode. =D

I'm still waiting on her appearance. This could be Sakurako's aunt.

She made ​​a little appearance at the end of episode 5.
Dec 2, 2015 5:28 PM

Jun 2014
VanishingKira said:
Still waiting for this to get interesting.

danieltortoisee said:
Still waiting for explanations on that shady guy from a few episodes back and what his role is, and instead we get this. Lame.

Pretty much sums up what I wanted to say.

This series got off to a decent start but now it's rather stale. We still have no clue who that black-haired dude is, and now we've been introduced to another shady character. Maybe the "sensei" that she's referring to is the shady dude, because I feel like nothing interesting could happen with him and this Hitoe person unless they're connected in some way. I'm hoping they're connected so they can both potentially be the focus of these last few episodes, because I don't think it would be possible to focus on both of them as independent individuals in just 3 episodes without rushing something.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 2, 2015 6:27 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
3 episode left.
Not a lot of interesting stuff happened.
Are we finally entering something interesting with what they showed in that ending ?
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 2, 2015 6:30 PM

Aug 2013
thebrentinator24 said:
VanishingKira said:
Still waiting for this to get interesting.

danieltortoisee said:

Pretty much sums up what I wanted to say.

This series got off to a decent start but now it's rather stale. We still have no clue who that black-haired dude is, and now we've been introduced to another shady character. Maybe the "sensei" that she's referring to is the shady dude, because I feel like nothing interesting could happen with him and this Hitoe person unless they're connected in some way. I'm hoping they're connected so they can both potentially be the focus of these last few episodes, because I don't think it would be possible to focus on both of them as independent individuals in just 3 episodes without rushing something.

Same here. Also, the show still hasn't explained many important things and maybe the only one that seems relevant to this point: What's the connection between Sakurako and Shoutaro? I mean, they're not dating and they aren't relatives, also Sakurako was mentioned to be engaged, so how did they even meet each other and why are they always together?
Depending on how the last episodes work this could be either a decent anime or it could keep the same way as the last few episodes were (bad but not as horrible as others mention).
Anyways, I liked the episode but the show still doesn't work for me. 3/5 for the episode and 4/10 so far for the anime.
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Dec 2, 2015 7:10 PM

Jul 2012
This was a very heartfelt and touching episode focusing on Yuriko and her grandmother then to Shoutarou and his grandmother and then even Sakurako's in the end. I did think it was a very touching episode and loved it but still what I want right now isn't these kind of episodes! I want more about Sakurako's past and everything and im happy we got some of that at the end which has really got me thinking more things and excited for the next episodes but I hope they now focus mainly on that since there are only 3 more episodes!

Here is my full review on the episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3d4Taj9IlM&feature=youtu.be
Dec 2, 2015 7:35 PM

Nov 2014
Great episode. It helped bump my overall score back up to a 7.

5/5
Dec 2, 2015 7:52 PM
Mar 2015
Man this show is just visually stunning and the ost is great. Just a beautiful show all around. Does anyone else get a Hell Girl vibe from this? I feel like the art style, music, and way of story telling are very similar (though the actual stories are VERY different). Everyone seems to hate it but I happen to love this style of story telling and why anyone is still here posting about how they're waiting for the show to pick up makes absolutely no sense to me. We're nine episodes in, what is making people think that the show's pacing will change? Its silly to expect it at this point and while its not impossible for it to pick up, it would be stupid if it did. I'm expecting it to stay the same with a final climax and conclusion to go along with it. But i mean if I wasn't enjoying a show, I wouldn't continue to watch it for 9 episodes.
Dec 2, 2015 8:18 PM
Sep 2014
Anarchi4 said:
Same here. Also, the show still hasn't explained many important things and maybe the only one that seems relevant to this point: What's the connection between Sakurako and Shoutaro? I mean, they're not dating and they aren't relatives, also Sakurako was mentioned to be engaged, so how did they even meet each other and why are they always together?
Depending on how the last episodes work this could be either a decent anime or it could keep the same way as the last few episodes were (bad but not as horrible as others mention).
Anyways, I liked the episode but the show still doesn't work for me. 3/5 for the episode and 4/10 so far for the anime.

Sakurako keeps him around as a replacement goldfish for her deceased brother, because they look so alike and even have nearly identical names. And Shoutarou sticks around because he's an idiot.
Dec 2, 2015 8:20 PM

Oct 2014
Sakurako-san rules in telling instead of showing. It gets boring quickly...I understand this anime is made for a specific public that's umm fond of this kind of tellish narrative, but I can't just give a high score when I spend 80% of each episode sleeping.

Interesting, beautiful and deep, but man what a snooze. I really wish this story could be given a better treatment.
Dec 3, 2015 12:49 AM
May 2015

I'm guessing this is as daring sexy we get to see Sakurako.
La_Matona301Dec 3, 2015 1:07 AM
Dec 3, 2015 12:57 AM

Jun 2008
YW said:
Got a headache during watching this episode, I kinda just sat through it getting bored. The start of this series was great, but it's turning to be pretty meh.
Dec 3, 2015 2:48 AM

Mar 2009
DesuTronic said:
Granny knows best

That she does. Bless her wonderful heart.

I liked this episode, mostly because of how emotional it turned out to be. It was more of an intimate and personal mystery this time around. Easy to resonate with, you know.

No idea what the ending was about, though. It was abrupt and didn't really fit the episode in general.
Dec 3, 2015 2:56 AM

Jan 2013
Crashmatt said:
Good god that was boring. I can't believe people liked this episode literally nothing happened. I've seen other shows get absolutely blown apart on here for much less.

Dude, either you are lucky you you haven't lost a dear one recently or you are one cold hearted fellow.

A better question: Why are you still watching and complaining about this "boring" show in its 9th episode instead of doing something more productive?

-----------

All this talk about Shotarou's dying grandma made me cry and I'm 27. I guess I still haven't gotten over the death of my grandma two years ago. She was also terminally ill and in pain all the time and this episode opened all these old wounds that I had of these painful days.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Dec 3, 2015 4:56 AM

Feb 2015
[quote=SHINOBI-03]
Crashmatt said:

Dude, either you are lucky you you haven't lost a dear one recently or you are one cold hearted fellow.

A better question: Why are you still watching and complaining about this "boring" show in its 9th episode instead of doing something more productive?

I never said the show was boring but the last couple of episode have just been plain dull. I expected more from this show in terms of mystery and character development. Loss is a serious subject but literally nothing happened in this episode, but god forbid anyone has a different opinion than you
Dec 3, 2015 5:29 AM

Feb 2014
A nice calming episode.

The theme being about Grandma's reminded me of my late grandma, who passed away a few months ago. All the memories that I made with her and my late grandfather is something I'll cherish for as long as I live. Seeing Yuriko and Shoutaro speaking in good detail about their grandma's is something I can relate of the two of them.

It's also amusing to see Sakurako's addiction to sweets. Her attempts to eat another dessert pots and failing was funny. =D

The ending, though, was surprising. I'm not sure what Sakurako means by "ending it all.", but it was the mysterious girl with her dog that gave off an eerie feeling. With a creepy facial expression of hers, then saying "Sensei" at the end, I wonder if she and Sakurako have any connection between them. Let's hope this girl doesn't do anything reckless...
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2015

211 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 4:19 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2015

117 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2015

96 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 3:08 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2015

80 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2015

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.