Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
xxxHOLiC Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 24, 2008 11:30 PM

Feb 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm one third through this great show, and I feel like creating an Episode thread for each episode from now on. If your up to this point in the anime, you should be used to the style of animation by now. I didn't expect it with Production IG producing it (and they have some of the best animation) though.

The episode started hilariously, with Maru and Moro trying to hit the butterflies off the rug with Yuuko's red bat and Rye's Staff (a Tsubasa reference). And then the Monkey's Paw came in...my jaw dropped quite a lot in the second half of the episode. It dropped a lot more than in the latest episode of Kaiji. xD
Feb 24, 2008 11:31 PM

Nov 2007
Maro and Moro are always awesome. But yeah, this episode with the butterflies was amusing. The whole monkey paw arc was interesting, too.
Apr 22, 2008 6:21 PM

Feb 2008
Asako said:
Maro and Moro are always awesome. But yeah, this episode with the butterflies was amusing.

Yeah I agree - that was a funny bit with Maru and Moro. I liked this episode. I've seen the monkey paw story before but I liked xxxHolic's version of it too.
Jun 29, 2008 9:52 PM

Feb 2008
Those two girls are gonna be the death of me, really they are

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Aug 7, 2008 6:08 PM

Jun 2008
That was a bit of a dark episode ^^"

But one thing... is it just me or does Himawari's hair change color like twice every episode?? Sometimes it's really dark and sometimes it's really bright.... weird >.>

<333 this series so far >.<

Sig WILL change soon~
Oct 5, 2008 10:49 AM

May 2008
I've heard of the fact that a monkey paw can grant wishes,never knew it could be dangerous too ^^"" So that was educational.
Oct 18, 2008 3:20 PM

Aug 2008
Holy...! I was just about to comment on how I was surprised no one's died yet in this series and then BOOM! Or should I say STRANGLE?

I wondered why Yuuko would let something that dangerous go into a fool's hands. But I guess she's all about choice & fate, so it was only natural to let things happen.
Oct 27, 2008 9:32 PM

Jan 2008
Holy crap, I wasn't expecting the claw to kill her at the end :O
Dec 9, 2008 7:37 PM

May 2007
Woah actually killed someone, deep.

Really fascinating to watch Monkey's Paw again, good version.
My anime list
Apr 19, 2009 6:34 PM

Mar 2009
Very creepy...
I loved this episode; it's kind of about trying to interfere with fate in my opinion.
I'm really enjoying XXXHolic.
Jun 21, 2009 9:14 PM

Dec 2008
well she did get all her wishes granted (even the last one).

I had already started to foreshadow her death by the time the first finger broke (also the time i realized that the wishes came with a price). didn't expect the hand itself to kill her though.
Oct 28, 2009 12:12 PM
Jul 2008
The darkest episode so far. I'd like to know what evryone thought was the message of this one. In my opinion it is about many things including megalomania, the lack of morals and personal responsibility.
I have to admit the end was somewhat disturbing.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Nov 2, 2009 4:38 PM

Aug 2008
True... the meaning that holds this episode behind the scenes is quite deep imho.... prety much what kerlyenai said.... Megalomania (Obsession to lie, reminded me of the Young Woman of the first or second chapter), morals and responsibility!!! Especially responsibility!!! Yeh I also heard that the Monkey's Paw granted wishes... The problem here is that we have to remember that we're in the xXxHOLiC universe then it's an obligation to pay back with something or someone that can match the value of the wish you made.... That makes sense... lot of! It's true that the more something is prohibited for you more you want to get a hold of the thing... like your parents not letting you go a party... and since then you will want to crash every party you're invited to... It's weird but human nature works like that... It's like our dormant survival skills manifest in such things... Again a poor young Woman fate is determined by Yuuko and her advices...

Oh Maru Moro.... YOu were so cute... Lol at Fai's staff jingling with each time the rug was hit XD Loved the storage room too... Had a lot of reference from lots of CLAMP series... oh my gosh... Sakura's bear to Yuki! XD

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2010 6:05 PM
Jan 2010
So... did the women REALLY die? Did she die from the monkey paw or the wish. I hope there are more episodes like this one though. It just teaches you to obey and listen. If I was that woman, I wouldn't have taken it in the first place.
Apr 20, 2010 3:55 PM

Feb 2010
Lalawell said:
So... did the women REALLY die? Did she die from the monkey paw or the wish.

Technically both. Her wish was to not see anything going on around her anymore, so the monkey paw took it upon itself to grant her wish for her, and the compensation was her life.

In total honesty, I thought it was gonna gouge her eyes out or something, so, the her being strangled caught me off guard.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

May 26, 2010 7:40 PM

Nov 2008
I loved this episode. Need more dark stuff like this.

Since all of the fingers and the paw were broken and the paw was returned to Yuko unbroken, maybe the new "paw" is actually the dried up remains of the woman's arm. Maybe the old paw was the remains of another paw owner as well and not actually from a monkey.
May 31, 2010 3:50 PM

Feb 2009
I think that Yuuko is enjoying this.Maybe I can put her on my list of favorite trolls(along with Izaya,Beato and Bern)
Anyway,I loved this episode.I wonder why Yuuko doesn't want to intervene in this kind of things.Maybe she thinks that it was unavoidable just like in the case of the internet woman.Everything depends of ones self and even if someone helps you,if you didn't change yourself,it means nothing.At least,this is how I got it...
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jun 23, 2010 12:30 AM

Sep 2009
the monkey paw story was really well done in the manga im glad to see it was awesome in the anime as well :)
pretty dark episode :)

Jul 11, 2010 9:25 AM

May 2009
I wonder why the monkey's paw opened when Himawari chan touched it

And i also wonder what'd happenif someone was compatible with it
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Sep 20, 2010 1:52 AM

Mar 2010
If Yuuko hadn't said "Don't open the tube", I reckon she would have had a better chance. But ultimately I guess there is a sense of destiny in this episode and that was what Yuuko was trying to make happen.
Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon!
Mar 6, 2011 5:57 AM

Sep 2008
Trojun said:
I've seen the monkey paw story before but I liked xxxHolic's version of it too.

Same. I can't recall where I saw it before, but it was well done here and sufficiently creepy. It seems a big part of xxxHOLiC is actually revealing common human flaws, hm? I figured that the essay would end up being one that was "plagiarised" or taken from somewhere and/or someone else since, after all, "something can't come from nothing".

unclesnapple said:
Since all of the fingers and the paw were broken and the paw was returned to Yuko unbroken, maybe the new "paw" is actually the dried up remains of the woman's arm. Maybe the old paw was the remains of another paw owner as well and not actually from a monkey.

I didn't even think of that, but I bet you're right! Sounds totally plausible to me.

Anyway, great episode. :D
Mar 6, 2011 6:07 AM

Sep 2008
Trojun said:
I've seen the monkey paw story before but I liked xxxHolic's version of it too.

Same. I can't recall where I saw it before, but it was well done here and sufficiently creepy. It seems a big part of xxxHOLiC is actually revealing common human flaws, hm? I figured that the essay would end up being one that was "plagiarised" or taken from somewhere and/or someone else since, after all, "something can't come from nothing".

unclesnapple said:

I didn't even think of that, but I bet you're right! Sounds totally plausible to me.

Anyway, great episode. :D
Mar 23, 2011 9:36 PM

Mar 2010
Almost straight out of a horror movie! And I loved every second of it! Another great episode, I must say. Just keeps getting better and better. The greed of mankind is fatal, perhaps? Looking forward to the next!
May 10, 2011 12:46 PM
Oct 2010
pacuuuuu3 said:
I wonder why the monkey's paw opened when Himawari chan touched it

I wonder that too. :/
Aug 21, 2011 9:17 AM

Aug 2009
Shoosh, that was intense. Two deaths in one ep. They were pretty terrifying, too. Monkey paw strangulation, jeez. Even though she kinda deserved it, I still feel sorry for her.
Oct 17, 2011 5:51 AM

Oct 2011
a very dark episode - this show reflects real life in such a deep and beautiful, scary way. the decisions we make in life can be like a stone falling, forever increasing its' downward, hurtling pace - hitsuzen...
Dec 2, 2011 2:31 AM

Sep 2011
I was not expecting her to die at the end that threw me off
Aug 26, 2012 5:11 PM
Aug 2012
I very much enjoyed this episode. I can't get enough of this anime, I'll be sad when I finish it.
Lemons are citrus fruits.
Oct 22, 2012 9:18 AM

May 2012
Quite a nice story line in this episode!
Mar 20, 2013 10:33 PM

Sep 2011
Holy shit what an awesome episode!
Apr 20, 2013 6:48 PM
Jan 2011
kerlyenai said:
The darkest episode so far. I'd like to know what evryone thought was the message of this one. In my opinion it is about many things including megalomania, the lack of morals and personal responsibility.
I have to admit the end was somewhat disturbing.

1. No one is special
2. Greed is not good

:)
Jul 2, 2013 2:47 PM

Sep 2012
unclesnapple said:
I loved this episode. Need more dark stuff like this.

Exactly my thoughts, on both ideas.

This series is preventing me from doing anything else! Lots of deep ideals and a really great tone!
Dec 4, 2013 10:06 AM

Apr 2013
I liked this episode.
Sinister.
Feb 9, 2014 7:19 AM

Feb 2014
After I saw the monkey paw I knew it wouldn't finish well. In all versions of the story wishes are not fulfilled as you expected
Apr 5, 2014 1:20 AM

Mar 2012
Best episode so far imo.
May 18, 2014 8:24 PM

Jan 2010
Holy crap that was great. I've seen Monkey Paw stories before, but that was pretty different.
Sep 28, 2014 8:18 AM

Aug 2013
Well that got dark :o

-----
Woman: *picks up the tube thingy* What is it?
Youko: Can you guess what it is?

me: *something naughty flashed in my mind* Head was totally in the gutter XD!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 21, 2014 2:42 PM
Aug 2014
Seeing as how Yuko willingly give her the monkey paw isn't she (partially) responsible fore her death?
Sep 20, 2015 8:44 PM

Mar 2011
Lorezhno said:
Seeing as how Yuko willingly give her the monkey paw isn't she (partially) responsible fore her death?

She says she can't interfere the inevitable.
Nov 17, 2015 11:28 AM

Sep 2014
This episode was dark and i love it. One of the best episode so far.
I've seen monkey's paw arc in Bakemonogatari before, but this one was really great.
Jun 16, 2016 11:53 PM

Jul 2015
Stuck up bitch got what she deserved. Her luck was strong LMAO. Idk that chick's attitude was annoying. But the episode was amazing as always.
Jul 24, 2016 2:55 AM

Mar 2010
OK, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with this episode. This series feels meh to me so far, but damn, this was some good shit. I hope it will continue in this direction.
Dec 26, 2016 8:27 PM

May 2013
What... I'm surprised you guys didn't think the Monkey's Paw would kill her. I had that feeling the whole time Yuuko used the stone metaphor tumbling without stop and it was confirmed the moment the girl made that wish. Because it's unreasonable to kill off everyone in the world and take away everything, so the easier more likely method while still granting the wish is to get rid of the girl herself.

I feel bad for the lady that was killed by the train, though. She didn't deserve her death :(

Anyways, Yuuko didn't stop the girl because that was her fate to begin with. And one look and you can tell Yuuko is right. That girl doesn't listen to anything she's told.
Apr 13, 2017 11:44 PM

Jun 2011
This episode felt really, really slow. I was waiting for something to make the story a little more interesting than just "girl got special power, power shan't be abused." The OST has been amazing but story could definite use some work, I need more intricacy within the story instead of some random "thought-provoking" quotes from Yuko.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 15, 2017 9:09 PM

Mar 2016
Would rather this have stayed relatively lighthearted. "Haha, be careful what you wish for" isn't anything new, and this episode just served to make Yuko seem sinister while "teaching" a lesson that should have been for the woman. Edgy.can't say I enjoyed it.
Nov 5, 2017 12:03 PM

Sep 2012
syncrogazer said:
Would rather this have stayed relatively lighthearted. "Haha, be careful what you wish for" isn't anything new, and this episode just served to make Yuko seem sinister while "teaching" a lesson that should have been for the woman. Edgy.can't say I enjoyed it.

she would have stole the paw anyway & Yuuko new that so the decision was hers to make, so Yuuko isn't sinister she just knows ppl
Nov 5, 2017 12:08 PM

Mar 2016
Sugram22 said:
she would have stole the paw anyway & Yuuko new that so the decision was hers to make, so Yuuko isn't sinister she just knows ppl

It's still morally nonsensical.
Mar 25, 2018 1:09 PM

Jul 2017
damn she died, wonder if Yuuko gave it to her on purpose knowing she would die.
May 13, 2018 9:40 AM

Nov 2011
Thanks to this horror story, the anime series shows how it can be transversal and cover not only one aspect but more than one, exceptional! The merit of the story if the narrative has such a dark and anxiety-provoking tone, everything is well represented, I feel almost sorry for the girl who uses that hand of a mummified monkey, despite sins of pride. This anime series improves more and more as it progresses and with the small parenthesis on Himawari, seen today, its vision is more and more interesting.
Mar 14, 2019 6:47 AM

Jul 2016
oh boy I love this show. It's doing well at every epidoes being a different kind of spirit and magical problem. holy crap it's so deep that Yuko is so powerful she's above it all.

Doesn't care if someone dies.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Apr 12, 2008

55 by RGreatDanton »»
May 19, 3:58 PM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 2 Discussion

Trojun - Apr 11, 2008

38 by RGreatDanton »»
May 19, 3:46 PM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 1 Discussion

Trojun - Apr 9, 2008

48 by RGreatDanton »»
May 19, 8:35 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BlueYoshi - Mar 30, 2008

59 by TheVistrian »»
May 18, 11:04 PM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BlueYoshi - Mar 29, 2008

50 by TheVistrian »»
May 18, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.