Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
xxxHOLiC Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2008 9:14 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A mother's internet addiction - not exactly a riveting topic imo. Not sure why she didn't just take her laptop instead of cutting it in half then taking the highchair. Well maybe the highchair and how wishes concerning one's own addiction are set up in this episode for future reference in the series.
Jun 29, 2008 9:56 PM

Feb 2008
....we got it internet bad, BUT I LOVE THE INTERNET!!!

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Aug 6, 2008 8:48 PM

Jun 2008
ROFL... I have a baaaaaad feeling that I'm gonna end up liek that woman xD

Her face at the end was scary o_O

Sig WILL change soon~
Oct 5, 2008 12:50 AM

May 2008
Nooo,anything but the computer!! >< Damn,I'll have to look out for Yuuko from now on,I'm in shock o.O
Oct 18, 2008 2:17 PM

Aug 2008
that was pretty sad, I wanna believe that Yuuko's actions woke her up, but I'm not so sure. Matter of fact, its making me worry about MY online time. o_O
Oct 25, 2008 7:00 AM

Jan 2008
Oh crap, I just realised I'm like that mother DX

Taking the high chair, allowed the child to sit on her mum's lap?
Nov 20, 2008 9:34 PM

May 2007
I watched this on the internet, irony anyone?

Hope she gets better I thought for sure she was going to say she needed to go online to get a new highchair.
My anime list
Apr 17, 2009 7:26 PM

Mar 2009
aero said:

Taking the high chair, allowed the child to sit on her mum's lap?

That was what I thought - the mom's lap. Plus, explaining to the child (or at least acknowledging the lack of a high chair) forces communication and bonding. It was Yuuko's way of sparking that connection.

But gosh does this episode make me feel like a nerd! I live on my computer, LOL. And the episode made it seem awful, knowing people only online...
Hahaha Oh well
Apr 18, 2009 12:47 AM

Jul 2008
an internet addiction... why does that feel so relevant? though the whole cutting a computer in half with a bat was pretty cool
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jun 18, 2009 12:49 AM

Dec 2008
i can relate to this :)

AmaiKawaii said:
It was Yuuko's way of sparking that connection.

nah i bet she just wanted a red chair to match her bat and red blouse.

oh now, i totally want yuuko to come to my house and cut my computer in half with a bat.... then take my chair.
Sep 21, 2009 11:10 PM

Mar 2009
LoL, you know she was gunning for World of Warcraft. "Have to...grind...to next........level.!..!
"One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway
Oct 27, 2009 9:58 PM

Aug 2008
LOL... Gotta grind to next level hahahaha... I loved that!!! XDOh my I guess many of us can relate to this chapter.... After all HOLiC is all about this... Addictions.... I recignize I have the same symptoms of the woman.... And that's scary after all...

And the payment... Afterll it was a heavy payment... That high chair meant a lot for the child of the woman...SO that's why she made such a scary face

"This is more frightening than the spirits" Indeed Wata... This is real... This what I'd call a psychological thriller.... Dang...

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2010 10:56 PM
Oct 2008
i actually understood it in a very different way. i see the taking of the chair as a kind of 'test' for the mother. she has to go out to buy one, and when she does, she'll be tempted to go into those internet cafes or buy a new computer. personally i don't have high hopes for her ever controlling her addiction though >.<
Jan 13, 2010 3:11 PM

May 2008
aero said:

I thought quite the same thing and it's scary...
Apr 6, 2010 5:38 PM

Feb 2010
Well, seeing what everyone was saying, this has been a very provocative episode. I willl admit, I'm just as bad as that mother, if not worse. But, thankfully, I am still willing to get off for things like a basketball game, work, school, friends etc. Makes me feel better... but I'm still internet addicted.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

Apr 22, 2010 5:33 PM

Aug 2008
OH schnaps! I think this episode was personally directed at me! I'm just like that woman!

As for the chair... Yuuko took it away, but the woman didn't even realized the chair was gone until her son pointed it out; this meant that throughout the entire time she was preparing dinner, she was thinking about the computer. Now, she has to go out and buy her son a new chair... but judging from her insane look at the end, I have a feeling that she will go shopping, just not for a new chair though...

Anyways, favorite episode so far. :)

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jun 13, 2010 7:11 PM

May 2010
I think a lot of us could relate to this particular case- internet obsession.

I gave this episode 4/5.
I liked how I can relate to the client in this episode and hope there will be more of these customers whom are easy to relate to. The story wasn't as good as the Pinky Promise one, but it was still up there.
Yuuko has the best clothes! I randomly want to know more of Maru and Moro; anyone else?

Hopefully there will be a storyline in the last 4 or 5 episodes of this season like in most episodic anime.

The ending of this episode was weird; and the ending also makes me ask why DID Yuuko take the highchair? Hopefully there will be some sort of an explanation in the following episodes, preferably the next episode.

Speaking of the next episode, the episode preview looks intriguing. We see a red-headed girl from the opening theme song/scene, when she's flying with her umbrella. Possibly she'll be seen in the next episodes after episode 7?
Just a prediction.

The outlay of this episode's story was so simple it was nice. Kind of like a slice of life, in a way. Anyways, I enjoyed this episode a lot. The simplicity was really nice.
Jul 7, 2010 9:21 PM

May 2009
That mother was pretty crazy
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Feb 21, 2011 10:01 PM

Mar 2010
Yuuko really is terrifying. She honestly scares me sometimes. (o.o) What a freaky episode, though. I wonder if she actually managed to let go of her obsession in the end? It was kind of a cliffhanger. Looking forward to the next!
Mar 4, 2011 4:56 AM

Sep 2008
Hm, I've never actually been a total slave to the internet, though I do know that I would feel lost without it. XD

I actually didn't like the episode too much, and I thought the mother's face at the end was a little bit scary... An ominous sign? I thought maybe Yuuko took her kid's chair so that the mother would remember why there's no high chair from no own -- she would realize that she gave it so that she could have her computer taken away, because she wanted to keep her current life... Just my take on it, obviously.

Like someone else said, I don't see why Yuuko didn't just take the computer instead of cutting it in half... Waste of perfectly good technology, IMO. D: (And she could've taken the chair, too, if she really needed to...)
Apr 8, 2011 11:28 AM

Apr 2008
This wasn't one of my favorite chapters in the manga, but the adaptation was quite good.
It's interesting how many of us can relate to this. (:

merle_noir said:

Like someone else said, I don't see why Yuuko didn't just take the computer instead of cutting it in half... Waste of perfectly good technology, IMO. D: (And she could've taken the chair, too, if she really needed to...)

I think that cutting it in half has a much bigger effect than just taking it. It makes her realize how important her decision is.
Jun 10, 2011 7:40 AM
Jan 2010
Zantetsuken? FF reference much? Though it might as well not be.
Oct 21, 2012 9:19 AM

May 2012
This was rather an interesting episode, the bat was quite nice!
Mar 18, 2013 10:31 PM

Sep 2011
Freaky ending.

Very enjoyable episode, probably my favorite so far. =p
Jul 2, 2013 2:00 PM

Sep 2012
Possibly my favorite so far as well, but I definitely felt like this was too relevant.

This show is certainly getting more and more interesting!
Jan 1, 2014 5:59 AM

Jun 2012
Lol, I used to be just like that woman a few years ago! Wanting to quit but seriously addicted. Thanks to my school work, I was able to break out of the addiction :)

Not a bad episode, but not the best either. I think the reason why she took the high chair is because

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Feb 9, 2014 7:24 AM

Feb 2014
It was ok, but... not one of the best episodes. Gore, she destroyed the poor computer xD
May 18, 2014 6:27 PM

Jan 2010
Regardless if this was supposed to be a commentary or not, this is hilarious in absurdity.
Sep 28, 2014 6:45 AM

Aug 2013
I think every single person here can relate to the mom.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 7, 2015 12:08 PM
Apr 2015
To my understanding I think Yuuko-san took the red high-chair because the price is low and her problem is not big enough to cause a disaster in her family and her life. If she didn't choose the right thing then the problem with her addiction will build up to the point she's gonna ask Yuuko-san's help and the price will be her child. By studying Yuuko-san's words about the balance in the universe and why she choose the red chair is because if the woman didn't think about her life and her family then the price will be her child who is gonna pay. Maybe the red chair shows us a reminder of what would happened if she didn't change herself soon. But seeing the manic look on her face she didn't get the consequence of her actions.

That's my understanding anyway. I just interpret it differently XD ahahaha
Sep 8, 2015 5:12 AM

Oct 2010
Yuuko's actions made me puzzled *o*
Nov 14, 2015 4:18 PM

Jun 2014
ECViridian said:
To my understanding I think Yuuko-san took the red high-chair because the price is low and her problem is not big enough to cause a disaster in her family and her life. If she didn't choose the right thing then the problem with her addiction will build up to the point she's gonna ask Yuuko-san's help and the price will be her child. By studying Yuuko-san's words about the balance in the universe and why she choose the red chair is because if the woman didn't think about her life and her family then the price will be her child who is gonna pay. Maybe the red chair shows us a reminder of what would happened if she didn't change herself soon. But seeing the manic look on her face she didn't get the consequence of her actions.

It was a metaphor. She took the chair because the chair served no purpose due to the kid being to old for the chair, though the mother never realized it due to her addiction. As you can see, the table had three chairs besides his chair. Its an equal trade because the internet serves no purpose.

She realized how bad her addiction was and will find closure, happy ending.
Nov 16, 2015 11:41 AM

Sep 2014
Well This was an interesting Episode. I can relate to that mom.
Dec 26, 2016 3:02 PM

May 2013
Kagami said:
ECViridian said:

It was a metaphor. She took the chair because the chair served no purpose due to the kid being to old for the chair, though the mother never realized it due to her addiction. As you can see, the table had three chairs besides his chair. Its an equal trade because the internet serves no purpose.

^ ooouuuuu, that's quite nice. I like your analysis *applauds*
Jul 19, 2017 6:15 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
xchee said:

True, but I found the outcome of the episode kinda strange, the face she did, to me I interpreted it like it was but just over for her, like she was going insane and just made her mind to buy a new laptop.
Nov 5, 2017 11:04 AM

Sep 2012
xchee said:

not me, cause i am not addicted to internet, i am not chatting in facebook all day, i only watch TV series & anime's online cause i can't w8 when the series come to TV & when it comes to anime's some series never will cause for one some only get in TV in JAP
May 11, 2018 9:03 AM

Nov 2011
Series anime forward over the years, already talking about a problem that explodes in the two thousand years, with the advent of the Internet, I personally reflected in the woman and Yuuko's words were very incisive, she is really the protagonist of this anime series. This episode is not to be despised, indeed the opposite. Regarding the question of the high chair, according to my opinion, Yuuko wanted the mother to remember their meeting to make sure not to fall into the same mistake again.

P.S. Wow! I did not expect a reference connected to Lupine 3rd.
terrablu2003May 11, 2018 9:27 AM
Jul 23, 2020 9:40 AM

Mar 2020
“i’m addicted to the internet” lmao this is the most mid 2000's episode ever
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jan 12, 2021 10:36 PM
Feb 2020
BlufaceBaby said:
“i’m addicted to the internet” lmao this is the most mid 2000's episode ever

lol us chiming in during 2021+ where internet addiction is life.
& phones telling us spending 8 hours a day online is average.
Apr 15, 2021 12:04 AM

Jan 2021
I can kinda relate to the mom... but thankfully I have gotten a bit better
CalmTeaTimeApr 15, 2021 7:41 AM
Jun 3, 2021 2:12 PM
Nov 2015
[quote=Trojun message=870174]THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A mother's internet addiction - not exactly a riveting topic imo. Not sure why she didn't just take her laptop instead of cutting it in half then taking the highchair. Well maybe the highchair and how wishes concerning one's own addiction are set up in this episode for future reference in the series.

no brains no answer sweetie .
Oct 2, 2021 8:29 AM

Mar 2010
haha she at least was able to say goodbye to her online friends before she quite haha. But yea the online world is vast and endless best to choose wisely if you want something more... hmmmm materialistic.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 20, 2023 8:51 AM

Jun 2020
I was really enjoying this episode until the very end.. until Yuuko took up the bat to cut it the computer in half. The way Yuuko kept asking the woman, telling her she had to make a resolution, the tone/atmosphere of the anime etc, felt well-directed :) I want to see more of that in this anime.. but the ending felt underwhelming for some reason.. Taking the chair was a mystery :)
Feb 20, 2023 8:57 AM

Jun 2020
Kagami said:
ECViridian said:

ohhh! yes! This makes sense, nice observation! :)

Apr 4, 2023 5:40 AM

Dec 2013
I actually really like it and the theories about the high chair. 

And I really like this one:

guyklc said:
OH schnaps! I think this episode was personally directed at me! I'm just like that woman!

As for the chair... Yuuko took it away, but the woman didn't even realized the chair was gone until her son pointed it out; this meant that throughout the entire time she was preparing dinner, she was thinking about the computer. Now, she has to go out and buy her son a new chair... but judging from her insane look at the end, I have a feeling that she will go shopping, just not for a new chair though...

Anyways, favorite episode so far. :)

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 3, 2023 8:27 AM

Oct 2018
"once again I've cut another worthless object"
~Spiritual Healing~

Jan 25, 11:39 PM

Dec 2018
she won't go out to buy a new high chair since the kid is too old for it. the look on her face at the end was her realizing that she had largely missed her son growing up since she never got rid of the damn thing. yuko also paid a price by losing an internet friend.

More topics from this board

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 1 Discussion

Trojun - Apr 9, 2008

46 by jessica_eumsm »»
Apr 8, 9:02 PM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 5 Discussion

Trojun - Apr 14, 2008

40 by Dywei »»
Jan 31, 7:54 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 20 Discussion

BlueYoshi - Mar 28, 2008

32 by StateofOhayo »»
Jan 28, 4:12 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 19 Discussion

BlueYoshi - Mar 12, 2008

37 by StateofOhayo »»
Jan 28, 3:49 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 18 Discussion

BlueYoshi - Mar 11, 2008

34 by StateofOhayo »»
Jan 28, 2:04 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.