Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 16, 2014 8:38 PM

Oct 2013

That was my reaction, too.

Oh good HEAVENS WHAT A TREMENDOUSLY MOVING AND BEAUTIFUL EPISODE. That was truly unexpected and so tragic.

If Ginko hadn't had the wise idea to try to draw the Uko out of Yuuta, he'd still be with his mom for God knows how long. WAY TO GO, GINKO. YOU DUN GOOFED UP SOMEONE'S LIFE AGAIN.

That ending was so breathtakingly beautiful. "You're everywhere." My feels. MY FEELS.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 21, 2014 5:33 PM

Sep 2008
Zadion said:

If Ginko hadn't had the wise idea to try to draw the Uko out of Yuuta, he'd still be with his mom for God knows how long. WAY TO GO, GINKO. YOU DUN GOOFED UP SOMEONE'S LIFE AGAIN.

That ending was so breathtakingly beautiful. "You're everywhere." My feels. MY FEELS.

I love how Ginko makes mistakes sometimes, even he with his vast knowledge and experience, is not infallible.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 21, 2014 5:48 PM

May 2012
Damn, another pretty fucked up episode but ow so good! Let's see what's next!
Dec 21, 2014 11:14 PM

Jan 2013
One of my favorite episodes. Loved the visuals
Dec 23, 2014 11:32 AM

Sep 2008
Holy shit that was a great episode, probably my favorite one now.
Dec 25, 2014 1:52 PM

Nov 2011
Well shit

Check out all that water

Amazing sound work they did with the storm and flash flood.
Dec 26, 2014 12:09 PM

Jun 2014
Ginko doesn't like to be called old man.

One of the handful of episodes where it ends on a dark note

Jan 2, 2015 10:45 AM

May 2010
Oh man. I didn't see that coming. The kid already hinted what's going to happen by asking those questions. Argh. Tragic but then again, the last scene turned out to be bittersweet. It was certainly one of the beautiful moments in Mushishi. Everything is just so perfect.

So much feels. And even more when there are only 3 eps left. T_T
Jan 5, 2015 2:05 AM

Dec 2012
Sad ending, I didn't expected that.

Amazing episode 10/10.
Jan 5, 2015 4:28 AM

Aug 2012
koreye said:
Zadion said:

I love how Ginko makes mistakes sometimes, even he with his vast knowledge and experience, is not infallible.

Ginko said that if it was a salamander that the uko took over, then it would eventually disappear in a flood. So he might have disappeared anyway with the flood that occurred...since it combined with him while in womb. As Ginko also said that a baby in womb was thought of as closer to water creatures (newt etc) than humans ...
Jan 9, 2015 10:50 PM
Aug 2011
My entire face and my entire everything when Yuuta disappeared... I was not expecting that at all.
Jan 12, 2015 5:15 PM

Aug 2014
Oh look everyone is happy. *notices only 9 minutes of episode* Someone is going to get screwed.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Feb 14, 2015 1:00 AM

Oct 2013
Yuta's mom is hot.
Mar 27, 2015 3:19 AM

Aug 2012
Now this, this is what I'm talking about. Firstly, if there's ever a time to bring up Mushishi's sound, it's with this episode. Now I'm not talking about the voice acting (apparently, that was Megumi Han [Gon from Hunter x Hunter] as Yuuta, color me surprised her range is great) or the OST. No, those are normally awesome & the ost itself is damn near perfection. I'm talking specifically about sounds, the sounds of the environment, the sounds of nature. This has always been something special about Mushishi as they perfectly emulate these sounds. I wouldn't be surprised if Artland just waited for a flash flood to happen near them, record it & then played it over the episode. The roar of the flood, as PaleBlue put it, was phenomenal. I've often claimed Mushishi as the most atmospheric anime out there & those few minutes during the flash flood may be the definitive example for it. & the scary part is, that was all before this episode got into the really good stuff.

Yuuta's disappearance isn't actually something that took me off guard or surprised me, in fact I expected something like this too happen. The episode planted a lot of seeds early on that pretty much stated that Taki (I can't believe it took until the final third to learn her name . . . & I can't believe I didn't realize we didn't know it until it was said) was the one who was possessed so by the time Ginko finished his explanation of the Uko, I already saw were this was leading. Of course, I didn't get all the details right, for example, my mind was on a Cotton Changeling path & I thought Yuuta somehow was mushi in human form. Maybe like, 90% mushi 10% human. Then I remember not five minutes ago Ginko saw the Uko leaving his eyes & I felt ridiculously stupid (almost as stupid as admitting this is). Regardless, foresight doesn't remove emotion from the picture & seeing Yuuta evaporate still stung. I'm actually really surprised/happy that Taki never once blamed Ginko, even though she easily could have.

What I didn't see coming though, was the reason for the entire conversation repeat after Yuuta's evaporation. I understood the purpose of the initial scene, at least, part of the purpose as it had a much more powerful meaning than I could've ever anticipated. When it came back for a third time to close the episode out with Taki's realization that he was "Everywhere" . . . damn. Just damn, I'm teary-eyed right now just writing this up (I want to point out though, that Mushishi has still failed to get me to cry). The greatest & worst thing about any narrative is the power of it's ending. The final scene can out-right ruin your story. Turning something gold into rubbish. Conversely, the final scene can also turn something rubbish into gold. Granted neither extremes are all too common but what we saw here was something special in it's own right. The episode was practically already gold before the final scene but after that it becomes something that all the gold in the world won't equal it's worth.

& the best part is, this isn't even my favorite episode. I'm not even sure it's my favorite episode from this cour.
Apr 11, 2015 3:41 AM

Jan 2013
Stark700 said:
Great episode with beautiful imagery and also despair.

The water scenes imo are glorious yet also covered with a dark mood. Well it's obvious about that considering the Mushi. The rain was lavishly well done to portray the episode too imo. "You're everywhere" ;_;

Agreed.
The flood scene was amazing, the agressive sound of it.
Apr 18, 2015 10:25 AM

Mar 2012
You know things aren't going to end well when the problem seems resolved but there's still about 7+ minutes left of the episode : /
May 19, 2015 12:20 AM

Oct 2013
My feels. Felt bad for Yuuta and his mom. Poor Yuuta's mom left all alone. ;_; Anyway 11/10.
Jun 7, 2015 9:35 PM

May 2011
You can't win everything.. great episode.. kinda sad too :
Jun 12, 2015 4:28 PM
Nov 2014
Masterpiece episode, one of the best from the series definitely. Tragic story.
Jun 19, 2015 6:58 PM
Jul 2018
Ginko is a fucking asshole. How about you take some god damn responsibility or show some actual emotion when you royally fuck up like that? Casually smoking a cigarette like that in front of the mother who just lost her kid because of you.

This is at least the second time he's caused someone's death with his meddling. His good deeds don't make up for that nor vice versa. If it wasn't for his intervention the kid would at least be alive (in human form in case any of you try to get clever with me) even if he'd still be an outcast. He could have stopped getting involved after medicating him but no he had to act like a know it all and get the boy killed.
Jun 25, 2015 8:59 AM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jul 13, 2015 7:44 PM

Feb 2015
Feel bad for the mother :(.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2015 5:37 AM

May 2011
I made the mistake of watching this episode while already emotional.
Apr 16, 2016 6:26 PM

Jul 2007
L3gEnDaRy said:
Every Mushishi episode is 10/10

On that note, I'm surprised the mother was vengeful for Ginko's life when Yuuta vanished into water vapor, but she's obviously very mentally and emotionally strong. Yikes.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
May 4, 2016 11:06 AM

Dec 2013
That was very sad episode. I didn't expect Yuuta to die. As he started to steam, I thought Uko was leaving his body, but no, the kid just vaporized ;( I'm really sorry for his mother.
Jun 17, 2016 6:32 AM

Feb 2016
Amazing episode once again - I felt a bit sad towards the end however since he was gone. On the other hand the symbolism used when they were talking about how the river, the rain or the water in the clouds may appear in different shapes yet they are alike and essentially the same thing. This refers to the fact that every human being is regarding his core functionalities, whether one speaks in psychological or physical terms or not, anything but different.
cartoonartistJun 17, 2016 11:05 AM
Aug 31, 2016 12:59 PM

Apr 2016
I really didn't expect the kid to die.
Ginko is so professional though, him being calm despite everything.(Except when called "Old" XD)

But the kid's mother! Yeah it's kind of depressing, but this is why people should never keep things from doctors.. If Ginko had known, maybe he could have come up with a different solution.

The music really stood out in the last few minutes. The sound effects of the rain and the flowing water really added to the entire experience. I really felt for the kid's mother, having lost her son, but still not giving up to despair.

And the background art was beautiful, as expected from any Mushi-Shi episode.
Sep 4, 2016 1:42 PM

Mar 2012
I found it a bit odd that Ginko didn't ask the mother if it was her that drowned instead of the kid. Seems like something he would've done after hearing him say he didn't drown.
Oct 15, 2016 4:32 AM

Aug 2012
fck that was just depressing ;_;
you cannot do that to meeeeee
Oct 26, 2016 4:42 AM
Feb 2015
poor woman, i feel for her
Nov 8, 2016 9:47 PM

Sep 2010
Amazing episode, I've been feeling this series has been a little lighter with "good" endings. I'm wondering now if they were to set up this episode.

Imagine if that happened now a days though, trying to explain what happened to family and friends.
Nov 14, 2016 12:38 PM

May 2010
Okay tell me. To all the people who are blaming Ginko for Yuuta's death (albiet knowingly) Aren't we gonna take it into account that Yuuta was able to laugh and have fun almost like a normal person before dying? He was able to live his life to the fullest, his mother saw him happily getting along with others and she got happy too, isn't that all thanks to Ginko as well? If he didn't came and helped Yuuta, he would have lived longer, yeah, but he would have died 'odd' and 'sick' i.e. with regrets. I say this was the best end it could have. Yuuta learned about the joys of life for a while and we should credit Ginko for that.
Jul 2, 2017 4:42 PM
Jun 2015
noooo :( ah, my heart :-(
Aug 27, 2017 5:48 AM

Jul 2015
Poor woman, well, I guess at least this mushi let her live with her son for some years instead of dying right there, still very sad nonetheless.
Apr 4, 2018 8:23 PM

Feb 2009
Another incredibly beautiful episode... loved the anology of the river, the, the rain and the clouds being the same, despite their apparent physical difference. Everything has a role to play in the big picture, no matter how small it may seem.
Sep 6, 2018 7:21 AM
Apr 2018
After she was happy for her child to be normal and playing with the others he's gone💔 very sad episode
Dec 18, 2018 5:05 AM

Oct 2012
God damn, I knew a dark one was coming up this one was great. I'd put it on par with the one from the first season about the guy who dreamed his family dissolved. This and episodes 2 and 3 have been some of my favorites in the entire series. Going out with a bang and classy as ever, cant wait to see how this show ends.
Mar 24, 2019 9:20 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
finally this is what i was looking for
chills sre finally back
best ep for the wole s2

Jul 11, 2019 8:09 AM
Apr 2016
Well, seems like he vanished because of the medicine, because the medicine attempted to separate the inseparable. This makes it seem like it was Ginko's fault for giving him the medicine, but no it wasn't, it was the lady's fault for not saying anything, for staying quiet.
Mar 16, 2020 1:17 AM

May 2013
Sad ep :(

I was super nervous for Gin that she would go blaming him and start yelling with mourn :3 But she just became a little empty ;~;

Can't decide if this ep is my fave so far or the water well one. So good.
May 16, 2020 2:02 PM

Jan 2019
People keep saying this episode was bittersweet but I can't really see where the "sweet" is lol

For a moment I thought they'd go to the sea and discovering him there, but nope, Yuuta really died. He was such a sweet child, he deserved better than that :(
Jun 8, 2020 9:53 PM

Aug 2019
bro this episode took the hardest 180 degree turn i've seen in a while.
Just when shit was starting to look good and looked like it was over with, kid just goes "poof" and the real horror sets in. They most DEFINITELY had us in the first half i won't lie about that.
That piano OST. That DAMN piano OST. Fucking hits me right in the feels every god damn time ;-;
Jun 10, 2020 4:32 AM

Apr 2013
There's something I don't get in this thread.

So, most people here seem to agree that (regardless of him being morally at fault or not) Gingo's actions triggered the boys disappearance.
I'm surprised about this, since the way I understood:

• Uko Mushi make animals disappear. That's their normal life cycle.
  • The medicine and the separation can be effective, as humans and Uko-mushi are usually not connected as deep as animals.
  • ...but to kid here was connected to them deeper, because he got "infected" very early on and they grew up together.

To me, this meant that the kid follows the normal, "animal" life cycle of Uko-mushi, and this would've happened even without Ginko anyway. I mean, he always was drawn to water, and wanted to go to the flood, even by himself.
So, Ginko was most likely simply ineffective; he tried a cure that had no chance to work. Even assuming worst case, he only somewhat hastened something that was, all in all, inevitable. To me, the interesting question is that what else could've he tried, if he knew the truth from the start. But I guess we will never know.

Ofc I still agree that his calmness was way too much at the end. This is perhaps the only emotionally dissonant moment I did not like in the entire series so far (I still have the rest after this ep to go).
Jul 11, 2020 7:08 PM

Sep 2017
What a beautiful episode. Such a great twist.
Dec 14, 2020 8:35 AM

Oct 2013
One of the best episodes. The twist at the end was great. I was wondering why there was still about 6 minutes left after he was “saved” and then... he vanished. Very sad as well, there were no final words exchanged either, happened so fast.
Dec 24, 2020 7:21 PM

Aug 2018
I cried so hard. This was a beautiful and sad episode!

Jan 7, 2021 12:50 AM

Aug 2018
Beautiful but sad episode, one of the most surprising ones so far
Jan 31, 2021 2:33 AM

May 2015
"Where does the river come from?
It comes from a valley deep in the mountains.
Where does the valley water come frome?
It comes down from the clouds in the sky.
Then where do clouds in the sky come from?
They are borne from the sea. That is where the river goes. It is a place with lots of water.
I have never seen it either. But I have heard it is all water as far as you can see.
Then are the sea, river, rain, clouds are all the same thing?
Right. They look different, but they are all the same."

God, that is why I consider Mushishi poetry, that scene was like a verse in the form of animation, a piece of art worthy of contemplation. So many things are packed here in these few lines that are seemingly talking about a natural phenomenon but actually speaking about life and death itself, the eternal cycle, that all things that come to life are changing then dissolving, but through all of their states remain the same. Yes, it is a well known simile all over the world but is so beautifully phrased here both in words and in the visual representation and resonates so much with buddhist thought.

Then at the end of the anime, when the mother is trying to cope with the death of her child, this theme returns again but at this time the roles are reversed, the mother is asking and child is who is answering:

"Yuuta, where are you now?
Are you in the river? The sea? Or the rain?
What is wrong? It is not scary anymore.
Your are right. You are everywhere."
IshitatesoJan 31, 2021 10:40 AM
Apr 7, 2021 10:40 AM

Nov 2019
When his symptoms disappeared, I knew the end will be sad :(
May 15, 2021 1:46 PM

Jan 2020
Just as I was hoping to get a bad ending in the previous episode, this happened. Although, in this case it is a sort of bittersweet ending it's better I guess.

Well Ginko done the best he could, alas he didn't get enough information..
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

169 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 14, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

113 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 30, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

139 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 29, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2014

86 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 26, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2014

72 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 25, 10:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.