Forums

Studio Ghibli is officially stopping the production of animated movies

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 3, 2014 6:17 PM

Mar 2013
SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
fst said:
I suppose it would be inconvenient to mention it's being co-produced by the studio that made Sidonia...

So do you and Nidhumper just go channel to channel using technicalities to derail conversations and garner attention?

Aww, don't be like that, why can't we all just be butt buddies together?

SolvyTwerk4Jesus said:
Everything Polygon does CGI for will be good, because Studio means everything.

Thats EXACTLY why Photo Kano is just as good as Death Note, and Kyoukai no Kanata is just as good as Fullmetal Panic and Haruhi.

I applaud you sir.

Well I'm glad we found something we agree on. Kyoukai no Kanata is just as good as Haruhi, after all.
Aug 3, 2014 6:53 PM

Jan 2009
DerpHole said:
Wait the people who made sidonia no kishi are making this new ghibli show?

Sidonia no kishi had terrible fps

anime is limited animation anyway so the low fps on most CGI anime will continue imo

and i just heard this news - http://seventhstyle.com/2014/08/03/studio-ghibli-packs-up-goes-home/ bye bye ghibli
Aug 3, 2014 7:10 PM

Sep 2013
I CALLED IT! ;)

THESE THIEVES HAVE BEEN SHUT DOWN BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE UP FOR THE TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS THEY STOLE BY CLAIMING IT IN THE NAME OF QUALITY ANIMATION!
DISGUSTING, THEY SHOULD BE IN PRISON!

50 MILLION DOLLARS PEOPLE!

BUT WE STILL HAVE ONE PIECE AND DBZ WHICH WILL NEAR 100 MILLION IN THE BOX OFFICE :)
ichii_1Oct 13, 2014 6:54 PM
Aug 3, 2014 7:10 PM

Jun 2014
If this really is the end of Studio Ghibli, then it's a very sad day. They produced some great stuff, and if they stop making movies, it'll be even harder to find Anime this decade that's worth watching at all.

Aug 3, 2014 8:23 PM

Jan 2011
Watch them release another film within a year.
Aug 3, 2014 8:28 PM
Nov 2008
i wonder what studio will pop up to take their place as the 'disney of japan'?

Tyrel said:
Also, I'll say otherwise that the films aren't mediocre.
they're not mediocre, just highly repetitive and exhausted. boring. 'you've seen one ghibli film, you've seen them all.'
Aug 3, 2014 9:43 PM

Jun 2012
Rip in peace my hopes and dreams.
Aug 3, 2014 10:19 PM

Jan 2013
A part of my childhood just cried silently.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Aug 3, 2014 10:23 PM

Oct 2012
eh who cares
RRRRRRRRRR
Aug 3, 2014 10:29 PM

Mar 2014
This is not good news.
Aug 3, 2014 10:44 PM

Oct 2012
Well rip my childhood (can't say I like the more recent ones tho)
Aug 4, 2014 6:52 PM

Jun 2014
I am a great fan of the studio as Miyazaki is the greatest film director of his generation and the greatest artist the field of animation ever knew. However, the fact is that my top 12 favorite Ghibli movies, 11 came out before 2001. So effectively the studio has not been producing masterpieces for a long time now. Hence, I am not sad by such news because I wouldn't expect masterpieces to come out of the studio even if Miyazaki and Takahata continued to work (just as i did not expect Iron Maiden and Judas Priest to produce new masterpieces so I did not care much when they retired/plan to retire).

rateat said:
well that sucks :/

Does anyone know if there's a company out there that could possibly replace Ghibli as the next big studio in the industry?

You mean big film studio? Maybe Chizu, the studio that Hosoda is running:

They made Wolf Children recently.

Boombawks said:
I still haven't watched a movie from them yet, which is the best one?

Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke would be the best ones for otakus. Totoro and Spirited Away for general audiences and film snobs.
TyrelAug 4, 2014 8:12 PM
Aug 4, 2014 7:34 PM

Aug 2013
skyzblue said:
A part of my childhood just cried silently.

Same here :(
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 4, 2014 8:23 PM

Mar 2012
They may still come back eventually, but they need to take a step back and restructure. Plenty of great stuff still came out of Disney, after the death of Walt.

There are young artists and storytellers, whom given the opportunity could excel. I'm glad they aren't going to drive it into the ground with forced mediocrity.
Aug 4, 2014 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
Are you trolling!? o_o
Aug 6, 2014 12:36 AM
Jun 2014
Ghibli Master Race
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Aug 6, 2014 12:44 AM

Feb 2012
Ghibli is a relic living off on past glories that it has failed to reach again for the past ten years. I don't really care much about what they do or don't at this point.
Aug 6, 2014 1:51 AM

Feb 2014
Awh. I loved Ghibli movies. I'm gonna miss them.

Aug 6, 2014 1:52 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
ive only watched "my neighbour totoro" it was alright i guess

the company did well while it lasted
Aug 6, 2014 1:54 AM

Sep 2013
But like, don't they still broadcast that TV series? So that will be their last?
Aug 12, 2014 4:13 PM

Apr 2014
ElPysCongroo said:
Its probably for the best they'd stop now end on a high-note. It would be to hard to follow up Miyazaki .

Too bad for Ghibli..
---------My Profile------------
Aug 12, 2014 4:26 PM

Nov 2013
End of an era...
Oct 11, 2014 5:31 AM

Sep 2012
Given how Princess Kaguya was recieved, it's better for them to quit with dignity rather than fall into mediocrity.
Oct 11, 2014 5:53 AM

Aug 2014
Howl, spirited away and mononoke where the only ones I really liked.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 11, 2014 7:09 AM

Jul 2013
At least we have Satoshi Kon, as well to take his place.
Oct 11, 2014 7:13 AM
Jul 2013
"Rejoice, fellow otakus. We no longer have to have their mediocre movies serve as the flagship of the anime industry."
Oct 11, 2014 7:37 AM

Apr 2014
Well that sucks.
Oct 11, 2014 12:13 PM

Apr 2014
Well that fucking sucks Ghibli movies are the best.
Oct 11, 2014 12:19 PM

Jan 2014
It was a good run for Miyazaki, he better end on a high note at this point in time.

Also, it was pretty hilarious seeing Solvite throwing a fit at the beginning of this topic. Very entertaining indeed.
Oct 11, 2014 12:22 PM

Sep 2014
Yhuuro said:
It was a good run for Miyazaki, he better end on a high note at this point in time.

Also, it was pretty hilarious seeing Solvite throwing a fit at the beginning of this topic. Very entertaining indeed.

Yea, unlike Ponyo, and Howl's Moving Castle sigh. What crap those two were, lets hope his last movie ends up being awesome, like we have come to expect from him, and not like those two films.
Oct 11, 2014 12:24 PM

Oct 2012
Good, all those movies are overrated as hell. It's like if Square Enix decided to stop making Final Fantasy 15-16-17 and just make 7-1, 7-2, 7-3
Oct 11, 2014 12:24 PM

Mar 2013
Oct 11, 2014 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
They're still making anime, just not movies anymore. That being said, *sigh*.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 11, 2014 3:32 PM

Dec 2012
SolviteSekai said:

Gotta love that Nintendo looking shit tier CGI, simply because it's not otaku pandering. *eliteface*
Oct 11, 2014 3:38 PM

Jan 2009
fst said:
old news is old?

because its an old thread
Oct 13, 2014 6:55 PM

Sep 2013
I still stand by my statement :(

Oct 13, 2014 7:03 PM

Aug 2014
That's bad news
Oct 13, 2014 8:43 PM

Sep 2014
HalfMetalPriest said:
They're still making anime, just not movies anymore. That being said, *sigh*.

Oh awesome, so they are gonna start making series then?

If that's the case, then them not making movies anymore, is downright great news.
Oct 13, 2014 8:44 PM

Sep 2014
They won't be missed
Oct 13, 2014 8:44 PM

Sep 2014
ichii_1 said:
I still stand by my statement :(

pls explain
Oct 13, 2014 8:46 PM

Jul 2008
Strange reading this topic.

When I first signed up for this site back in 2008 and mentioned my dislike of the Studio Ghibli productions I had seen, people reacted as if I had confessed to killing dogs for fun. Six years later, reading through this topic, it appears many other anime fans are less than impressed with Ghibli. To the point where it's even the majority view instead of an extreme minority one.

That being said, them shutting down is not good. Most likely, it's a sign that either the anime industry as a whole is less profitable, or that anime movies with expensive, high-level animation (and whatever else I might dislike about Ghibli, their work IS gorgeous) are no longer economically feasible.

And neither one of those is good for the industry.
Oct 13, 2014 9:40 PM
Oct 2010
YoungVagabond said:

When I first signed up for this site back in 2008 and mentioned my dislike of the Studio Ghibli productions I had seen, people reacted as if I had confessed to killing dogs for fun. Six years later, reading through this topic, it appears many other anime fans are less than impressed with Ghibli. To the point where it's even the majority view instead of an extreme minority one.

Yeah, same happened to me to, but I think we are still a minority at this point, and people are just being pretty vocal about it in this thread.
Oct 13, 2014 9:54 PM

Sep 2013
YoungVagabond said:

That being said, them shutting down is not good. Most likely, it's a sign that either the anime industry as a whole is less profitable, or that anime movies with expensive, high-level animation (and whatever else I might dislike about Ghibli, their work IS gorgeous) are no longer economically feasible.

That's because they kept their mouth shut about how they spent to make it and didn't insult the fans.

High level animation? lol XD 50 MILLION DOLLARS! this is criminal.
ichii_1Oct 13, 2014 9:57 PM
Oct 14, 2014 2:24 AM

Jul 2008
ichii_1 said:
YoungVagabond said:

That's because they kept their mouth shut about how they spent to make it and didn't insult the fans.

High level animation? lol XD 50 MILLION DOLLARS! this is criminal.

Do you have a link to that 50 million dollar figure? Furthermore, there are Hollywood movies with a budget 2-3 times as large (live action as well as animated) that look ugly as fuck. Ghibli's animators are talented, if not their writers/directors.

skudoops said:
YoungVagabond said:

Yeah, same happened to me to, but I think we are still a minority at this point, and people are just being pretty vocal about it in this thread.

Possibly, but it's still funny considering how often I read back then about a "Princess Mononoke" or "Spirited Away" being a timeless masterpiece that everyone into anime needs to watch and love. Turns out its reputation more confined to an era/generation than even I predicted.
Oct 14, 2014 8:02 AM

Sep 2013
YoungVagabond said:

Do you have a link to that 50 million dollar figure? Furthermore, there are Hollywood movies with a budget 2-3 times as large (live action as well as animated) that look ugly as fuck. Ghibli's animators are talented, if not their writers/directors.

Movie journalist Hiro Otaka recently (a year ago) tweeted the following to his followers:

“Over the weekend of the 23rd and 24th, Kaguya Hime took in 284,250,000 yen (US$2,842,500). For most movies in Japan, that would make it a hit, but with a total production cost of five billion yen, this is an unimpressive opening.”

And the hollywood ones are stealing the money as well, they just need to make it look like they spent a lot of money otherwhise the government will step in and take their profit because they made to much.
Oct 14, 2014 9:12 AM

May 2013
On the one hand they're the most overrated studio of all time, but on the other hand they don't make otaku-pandering garbage.
Oct 14, 2014 10:44 AM

Aug 2013
RandomChampion said:
Rejoice, fellow otakus. We no longer have to have their mediocre movies serve as the flagship of the anime industry

Good to hear those plebs won't have any anime movies
Oct 15, 2014 2:46 AM

Jul 2008
ichii_1 said:
YoungVagabond said:

Movie journalist Hiro Otaka recently (a year ago) tweeted the following to his followers:

“Over the weekend of the 23rd and 24th, Kaguya Hime took in 284,250,000 yen (US$2,842,500). For most movies in Japan, that would make it a hit, but with a total production cost of five billion yen, this is an unimpressive opening.”

And the hollywood ones are stealing the money as well, they just need to make it look like they spent a lot of money otherwhise the government will step in and take their profit because they made to much.

Wow. I wonder if five billion yen set a record for an anime movie production budget?
Oct 15, 2014 11:01 AM
Apr 2014
Kurt_Irving said:
At least we have Satoshi Kon, as well to take his place.

Oh, I wish...

I'm actually surprised to see a good number of Ghibli haters in this thread. But I'm also surprised that I'm surprised, because I shouldn't be.

I personally loved the majority of their films, so it is kinda sad to see them end it there...
Oct 15, 2014 12:19 PM

Jun 2012
As someone who has never seen a Ghibli movie, it's interesting to see everyone's opinions on their movies. It seems you either love them or hate them, not much room for an in between reaction.

Coming from personal experience, they seem like they are pretty popular among adults, mainly those in their 30's or above. My parents friends (who I know quite well) love some of the ghibli movies, and have been bugging me to watch Spirited Away for a while now. They pretty much just gave me their copy of it and told me to not give it back until I have watched it...

My Dad also seemed to really enjoy it, as he watched it one day. Maybe it is just a trend in my friends and family, but the only people I actually know who watched Ghibli movies and really enjoyed them were older adults..
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - Yesterday

15 by Dauphine »»
50 seconds ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 11 hours ago

25 by FZREMAKE »»
1 minute ago

» Male anime characters that have the charisma of a Rockstar?

Vargnatt - Apr 15

14 by starflutter »»
2 minutes ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

16 by FZREMAKE »»
2 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

65 by mshfqtny »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.