Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 5, 2014 10:39 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's been awhile since I've seen Sengoku. And I guess so far, it didn't waste much time with the action.

Double punch into the face yo
It felt gimmicky tbh.

Overall, I'm not expecting much out of this but the bits of action were nice. The girl was pretty badass so far though and we get a lot of action with returning characters.
Jul 5, 2014 2:52 PM
Apr 2012
I hate Telecom. Actually it wasn't that bad, but even being a VERY BIG FANBOY of SB, I only gave it a 8. Fights scenes were fine, very epic and dramatic, even animation was pleasant. But... the full episode quality was...ugh... Very average show. And I hate when the freeze the image for showing some kanjis or whatever they show -.-'

Anyway, it isn't Telecom's fault. It's their budget's fault. They did quite well on ost and series composition.

And the actual guilty of my dissappointment is Production IG. They did so well and perfectly with all that TOP animation of them, that now this new season makes me fell unsatisfied.

That Hanbei, I don't know what he has that makes my feels grow. Oh yeah, tuberculosis DDDDDDDD':
His death was even sadder than 2nd season's one.

Anyway, waiting for next ep *--*
Jul 6, 2014 4:09 AM

Mar 2013
Hey guys. Quick question. Do i need to watch the alternative version and the other seasons in order to watch this one, or is it independent?
Jul 6, 2014 4:56 AM

Aug 2008
Elsendion said:
Hey guys. Quick question. Do i need to watch the alternative version and the other seasons in order to watch this one, or is it independent?

I'm kind of growing old, I don't really remember what I watched 3 years ago. But it's clear you have to watch s1 and s2 to understand this series because you won't get the relationship and the back story of most of the character. Anyway this is a season 3. You can skip the movie since this is the alternative version and this seems more complete but with a drop of quality.

One thing I really like here is that Ishikawa Chiaki is singing the theme song! I'm still sad that Production IG is not the studio. I hope they would be the one to animate sengoku 4 if they'll be one.
KuriniJul 6, 2014 4:59 AM
Jul 6, 2014 5:12 AM
Apr 2012
Elsendion said:

I don't want to contradict kurini, but it's not completely necessary. The movie isn't needed at all, it's an alternative telling of the same events. But the first two seasons are kind of a "precuel". But, it's not enterely true. Some of the events in those seasons are different than the ones on this new season background story. Mainly, nobunaga's and Hideyoshi's deaths. This is because the studio change. Because, in fact, SBJE isn't an official sequel of the first two seasons.
Telecom said that they wanted this new season to be understandable by both sb fans and new watchers, so I think they're going to explain everything that needs to be explained (And, watching the first episode, it seems that they were right).

But, i'd suggest you to watch the first 2 seasons. For getting some hype and background information. If you don't know much about sengoku period, you will get very confused by watching this season only.
Jul 6, 2014 1:06 PM

Jun 2007
As a very big fan of the game (i have the japanese version) this was orgasmic!!

Very faithful to the game so far... seiyuus are the same used in the game...

I came when I heard Saika's catchphrase "warera wa hokori takaki Saika shu"

Ah, people shoud watch previous seasons to understand characters relations, movie is not required. And of course... play the game!
edwarxJul 6, 2014 1:18 PM
Jul 7, 2014 2:29 AM
Jul 2014
Elsendion said:

It's completely independent. The endings of the first and second seasons never happened in Judge End and neither did the movie. If you're ok with keeping them separate in your mind then it's good to watch the previous anime to get used to the atmosphere and characters, but it's not essential.

Having basic knowledge of the famous historical figures in the story will help, of course :)
Jul 7, 2014 11:20 AM

Jan 2012
Still not subbed yet? -__- I don't even need to read the subtitles it's just that the subbed ones have better quality.
Been waiting since Saturday morning. :/ It's the most hyped anime for me even though I know this season probably won't be that great.
Jul 7, 2014 3:29 PM
Apr 2014
I'm glad that they already revealed Tsuruhime in the OP, I wonder if Hisahide will return though.
Jul 7, 2014 4:25 PM

Oct 2010
I hope Sawano Hiroyuki is doing the music again i bet he's not since everybody wants him now. I guess i'll have to wait on funi subs.
Jul 7, 2014 11:42 PM
Jul 2014
bonifide said:
I hope Sawano Hiroyuki is doing the music again i bet he's not since everybody wants him now. I guess i'll have to wait on funi subs.

The music is by Tokuda Masahiro this time :(
Jul 8, 2014 4:24 PM

Mar 2009
Why is Funimation so lazy with their releases this season?
Jul 8, 2014 5:26 PM

Jan 2012
Mormegil said:
Why is Funimation so lazy with their releases this season?
They probably plan on releasing the episode this weekend or something. I don't know. If so, I'd have to wait a couple more days D: It's killing me. xD
Jul 8, 2014 10:46 PM

Oct 2008
Subs never. Good thing I've played most BASARA games so far so I sort of can deal with it.
I advise people who haven't played Sengoku BASARA 3/Samurai Heroes to completely disregard the ending of the second season, and when Ieyasu died back in the first season. Most of the animated BASARA have no connection with the games, except that thing in season 2 where Hideyoshi killed Nene because of Hisahide, and his relationship with Keiji. This and Hisahide's conflict with Kojuro, sort of.

I really liked this episode, I guess I must be the only one. It was an almost perfect introduction to what everything the third game presented. The animation wasn't I.G level in some parts (like...ripped Gyobu? what the hell) but I could see that they were actually trying to animate the action scenes (they looked derpy sometimes anyway), instead of just explosions and flash to make the viewer focused on something else.
The blood in the fights was good, even if they exaggerated a bit. In I.G's first season there was a few and I sort of missed that in the second season (and SB4's cutscenes, by I.G as well).
The lack of T.M.Revolution singing and Sawano sounds will affect my overall score of the show, I believe. One thing that made me go throught everything in BSR animated versions was the music, it was so damn good and definitely Sawano's best OSTs.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jul 9, 2014 10:36 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Yukimura and Takeda's interactions are always funny!
-- "Yukimura!" "Oyakata-sama!" "Yukimura!" "Oyakata-sama!"

Ieyasu decides to take on Hideyoshi, believing he can govern the land with the power of bonds instead of brute force.
How dignified of him! Took him long enough to realize though.

Damn. Since when Mitsunari is this fast?! Even Masamune and Kojuurou couldn't be on par with him!

Ieyasu on the other hand, takes out Hideyoshi. Quite unexpected of him.
That hand-to-hand combat was awesome though!

Good start. 100 days till the Battle of Sekigahara. Epicness awaits!

Jul 9, 2014 10:42 AM

Apr 2013
Will we see Yoshiteru this season?

And the OP stinks. What happen to T.M.Revolution?
Jul 9, 2014 11:03 AM
May 2014
dose someone knows why they had to chose producers cause the quality seems to have downgraded.

PS: its still tho.
Jul 9, 2014 11:09 AM
Mar 2012
Sengoku Badass-ara is back. "ARE YOU READY GUYS." To the above questions, the third season is a loose sequel to the previous two seasons, mainly because this time it isn't animated by Production IG. The movie is similar only in plot, everything else I see is different, though it may be my failing memory.
Jul 9, 2014 11:48 AM

Jan 2012
I'm a little sad they don't have TMR for the OP but otherwise this was great. Tokugawa is my favorite character so I'm glad there was a big focus on him in the first episode. I also was half tempted to rewatch all the old episodes but seeing as how this follows the games and changes the events from the battle with Hideyoshi it seems like that would have been completely unnecessary. I am even more excited to watch this now that I know this will be more similar to the game that I loved.
Jul 9, 2014 12:04 PM

Jan 2012
It was cool seeing Mitsunari kicking ass. It was also nice to see Magoichi finally. The rest is just, blah. The OP song's horrible. It was unnecessary that they made Mitsunari screamed too much it was kinda annoying.
Jul 9, 2014 12:42 PM

Jan 2012
Well things sure happened fast...

So this is just alternative to the movie? nothing new? I totally thought it would be a sequel ><
Jul 9, 2014 1:05 PM

Sep 2011
Ummm guys will i enjoy it if the only reason was because the only character i like is Ishida Mitsunari ? =/ only watched the last party because of him after all , i just want to know how much air time he will get this time...
Jul 9, 2014 1:09 PM
Jul 2014
Lyrisia said:
So this is just alternative to the movie? nothing new? I totally thought it would be a sequel ><

It's an alternative to the entire previous anime (not a sequel at all). The changes go right back to the first season - for example, Nobunaga was beaten by Mitsuhide, not by Masamune and Yukimura. This is correcting the timeline since that's closer to what happened in real history and also in the game series.
Jul 9, 2014 1:25 PM

Mar 2011
i'm crying the animation is weird and bad and really not my style but the whole thing of getting more basara anime was too good of a dream to be true anyway so... trying to adjust.

i was am obsessed about basara's 1st and 2nd season and i was too fond of production ig's lovely animation style and the wonderful ost by sawano hiroyuki AND tmr's opening themes so this will take a long time to digest.

yea and people it's an adaption of a certain newer basara game, i've understood, so you shouldn't think of it as related to the 1st and 2nd season. and yup the movie tells the kinda same story but i'd still watch the previous seasons and the movie because they're so much better than this new thing.

still going to drag along with it lol.
Jul 9, 2014 1:58 PM

Mar 2014
Really digging that new ED out of everything, though I miss those upbeat openings by TM Revolution. Still good to see this series back in the spotlight. Makes me want to play the game again more than anything else. Masamune's engrish moments are pretty funny though.
Jul 9, 2014 2:30 PM

Dec 2009
lars911 said:
Ummm guys will i enjoy it if the only reason was because the only character i like is Ishida Mitsunari ? =/ only watched the last party because of him after all , i just want to know how much air time he will get this time...

Yes, Mitsunari is one of the 4 main characters, the first episode was focused mainly on him. He should get plenty of screentime in the future as well. (He and Ieyasu were the main characters for the game.)

Laurus said:

yea and people it's an adaption of a certain newer basara game, i've understood, so you shouldn't think of it as related to the 1st and 2nd season. and yup the movie tells the kinda same story but i'd still watch the previous seasons and the movie because they're so much better than this new thing.

You shouldn't compare Judge End to the previous anime adaptation. Different companies, different staff, after all. It's true that the animation isn't perfect, but you shouldn't judge the adaptation just yet. The story shown in the first episode was very solid. And tbh their stills and close-ups look pretty good.

I think watching the previous anime adaptation is good for getting to know Masamune and Yukimura's rivalry (and other key relationships), then finishing the movie to have the story complete. Since the movie was the end to I.G.'s version. And then forget about everything, because the setting for Judge End is different. (There's an English released manga - Sengoku Basara: Samurai Legends - adapting Sengoku Basara 2 and it's different from the anime version. Think about it like that.)
ColleenJul 9, 2014 3:06 PM
Jul 9, 2014 2:39 PM

Sep 2011
@Colleen indeed ! , i just finished watching the episode and Basara never been this good before ! everything about it is epic ! i hope more people get to watch this .
Jul 9, 2014 2:50 PM

Jan 2012
SakaiTadatsugu said:
Lyrisia said:

It's an alternative to the entire previous anime (not a sequel at all). The changes go right back to the first season - for example, Nobunaga was beaten by Mitsuhide, not by Masamune and Yukimura. This is correcting the timeline since that's closer to what happened in real history and also in the game series.

Thanks for the clarification :p
But aww I'm sad now ><
And the animation feels a bit weird... Well I guess I'll still at least watch a few episode though
Jul 9, 2014 3:12 PM

Nov 2013
So its a remake, huh.

Following the game more closely it seems.
Jul 9, 2014 7:41 PM

Nov 2011
First half of the episode:

Oyakata-sama! Yukimura! Oyakata-sama! Yukimura! Oyakata-sama! Yukimura!

Second half of the episode:

Hideyoshi-sama! Hideyoshi-sama! Hideyoshi-sama! Ieyasu! Ieyasu! Ieyasu!

Not bad. Loved the game, so it's nice to see the story animated. Can't wait to see Oichi animated; she's just so depressing it's hilarious, and her newfound powers are awesome.
Jul 9, 2014 8:36 PM

Jul 2011
Animation is indeed a bit weird... and wow, two dead and powerhouse down already. It's only the first episode. o_o

I don't like the screeching in the OP. >__<

But I'll get used to it. You really can't go that wrong with Sengoku Basara even without Production I.G.

"Oyakata-sama!" "Yukimura!" Hahaha.
Jul 9, 2014 9:19 PM

Jan 2011
the animation is actually good enough, its just the artstyle that isnt as detailed as previous seasons but anyways i got over it very fast since the characters are very fun to watch... i never was a Mitsunari fan though but i see Oichi in the final scene i hope she appears even though she doesnt show up in the mal page
i did thought this ep lacked a bit of the over the top insanity that makes Sengoku Basara so awesome, i hope we get more of that on the next episodes
also why did Dates horse got downgraded? the handlebars an exaust pipes are gone
silversaintJul 9, 2014 9:30 PM
Jul 9, 2014 9:44 PM

Jan 2009
holy shit the fighting scenes are badly animated, im going to drop this show since its an alternative story anyway
Jul 9, 2014 11:25 PM

Oct 2013
I probably won't go back to see the other 2 seasons, but with the actions and ED, I'm definitely hooked for now.
Jul 10, 2014 2:23 AM

Dec 2010
HIDEYOSHI-SAMA!!!

Man, life sucks for Mitsunari.
Jul 10, 2014 5:33 AM

Dec 2012
It's great to see SB back in action again. Love the OP, fear and loathing is always a good choice. It's interesting to see how much Hideyoshi's role in this contrasts with season 2. I really felt for Mitsunari, although his constant shouting got a bit silly here and there. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. I'm disappointed that they're not using the usual ost though, this one just feels so underwhelming in comparison.
Jul 10, 2014 10:04 AM

Jun 2007
Mitsunari shouts during the whole game... IEYASUUUU!!!
Jul 10, 2014 1:54 PM

Mar 2009
This season isn't being animated by Production I.G? I wasn't expecting that...
Took some time getting used to the new look, but I think they did a fine job. I noticed that Yukimura's face looked a little different, but besides that, the production values were fine.

Will miss T.M. Revolution, and I know Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas is an acquired taste(so to speak), but I've been a fan of the band since the Kaiji OP.

I had no idea this was going to be a retelling, only having watched the movie a few days ago. Guess I could have skipped the movie altogether, then.

I'm actually more fond of how things went down here, even though I find it kind of hard to believe Ieyasu took down Hideyoshi. He was that strong? Why'd he work under Hideyoshi then if he was always more powerful than him?

Anyway, rock solid 1st episode. Probably one of my favorites of the summer season, actually. I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode. Always good to have more Sengoku Basara in your life!
Jul 10, 2014 9:56 PM

Aug 2013
Awww man finally they closely follow the game which is... awesome...
Have seen Saika in action YEAH BABY
Now I've to wait for more Tsuruhime and Kanbei
TMR couldn't sing the OP so he voiced Ieyasu's advisor; Tadatsugu Sakai... lolol

It's a complete independent series so I think new fans can watch this first without having to watch the predecessors beforehand.
Just one thing for sure, HEYY SENGOKU BASARA IS BAAAACKKK!
Jul 11, 2014 7:54 AM
Nov 2012
Sengoku Basara is back! Can't wait for Sekigahara, will Ishida get his revenge?
Jul 11, 2014 2:51 PM

Nov 2012
Damn, that guy has a screw loose he's too loyal.
Jul 11, 2014 3:48 PM
Aug 2011
This needs less Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas and more T.M. Revolution.

I feel like i've been too critical of this series before but over the course of a couple of years i've really come to love these type of ridiculous shows with over-the-top characters.

So yeah, i've been kind of uncharacteristically happy over this as soon as I knew it was going to be adapted.

The quality has indeed dropped and it was really noticeable in the first few minutes but then I got used it the more I kept watching.

Stark700 said:
It felt gimmicky tbh.

The punch felt gimmicky? So out of all things that happen in this series, that felt gimmicky to you?
Nonsense.
Jul 11, 2014 5:08 PM

Apr 2009
As a big SenBa fan of both games and anime I'm super disappointed in the animation quality, and the artstyle! Feels as if it's done by an amateur. Blasphemy! You can't ruin the series like that! >.< And where's T.M. Revolution????
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Jul 13, 2014 5:29 PM

Feb 2011
Ye, definetely a let down for me too.
Hope that was just the first impression.

I'll judge it at the end (OOOH!).
Sorry for that one.
Jul 14, 2014 4:31 AM

Mar 2014
Well I must say I'm so fucking happy to see Sengoku Basara contuned!!!!!! TOT <3333333333333 All in all I loved the episode and my only complaint is that the fight scenes were not as well done as the orginals. But I guess that's due to a different animnation company doing the art now. But other than that and the blood I fucking love it!!!! The sengoku francise is one of my all time favorites in all of fucking anime and always will be T-T
Heyy want to learn about Buddhism??

If so please come check out my youtube channel were I talk about Buddhism and how to use to live a happy life

How chanting Nom Myoho Renge Kyo Changed My Life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03KNUf3ZA28

How Buddhism helped me overcome COVID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVJru9p8Qoo
Jul 14, 2014 5:00 AM

May 2012
So this season is a little different especially about Hideyoshi's death... and kinda sad too that the animation has changed (Miss the IG Productions epic animations already, **sobs**).. seems like the IMPACT and INTENSITY of the previous 2 seasons (plus the movie) is lesser with this one. But I am glad that Date's engrish is still present! Still can't stop laughing when I hear it. And of course the "OYAKATA-SAMA!" " SANADA" shoutings..
Jul 14, 2014 7:46 PM

May 2012
03:20 LOOOL

04:11 atsui ne

09:15 MaDaO!

10:15 t-too big

This is top notch.
9.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 14, 2014 7:46 PM

Feb 2013
That was less-bad than I thought it was going to be. Pretty funny after finishing Nobunaga the Fool too.

Lots of action. A bit pointless though.
Jul 14, 2014 7:54 PM

Dec 2008
Holy shit! That was one hell of a first episode!
As always, Date Masamune's ENGRISH gives me life!
I believe Sengoku Basara is the reason why I know more about Japan's Feudal Era than I do about US History.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 16, 2014 3:30 AM
Feb 2013
Huhu, some nice super powers did Japan have back then, sou ka, sou ka

Anyway, 50% of all words in dialogues are their names
kcuf
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sengoku Basara: Judge End Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

25 by sharosharo »»
Apr 22, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Basara: Judge End Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

8 by sharosharo »»
Apr 22, 10:51 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Basara: Judge End Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

12 by sharosharo »»
Apr 22, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Basara: Judge End Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

13 by sharosharo »»
Apr 22, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Sengoku Basara: Judge End Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

12 by sharosharo »»
Apr 22, 9:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.