Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2014 3:19 PM

Jan 2009
Why is this rated so low???
Its pure genius...second only to Mushishi this season...
Apr 10, 2014 3:26 PM

Nov 2009
has a very relaxing atmosphere and the second half of the episode was good imo.
I'll let myself be surprised by this series :)
-☾✩
Apr 10, 2014 3:27 PM

Mar 2012
Just want to throw this out there: If you are liking the art style, Taiyo Matsumoto is probably more deserving of your praise than Yuasa here. Matsumoto has a very particular, expressive style and this is a fairly accurate adaptation of it, if maybe a bit less... textured. Really, If you look at Yuasa's work, there isn't much continuity in terms of art direction. Kaiba looks nothing like Kemonozume. Tatami Galaxy looks nothing like Mind Game. Sure, he has a certain signature flair to his direction, but it's more in the way things move and their atypical gait than anything. On the other hand, Yuasa is largely successful at putting this particular art style in motion, so maybe that's what people are referring too.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm knocking Yuasa here--he's probably my favorite director in anime--I just think praise should go where praise is due. New fans of Ping Pong owe it to themselves to check out some of Matsumoto's other works. Gogo Monster in particular is outstanding.
Apr 10, 2014 3:29 PM

Sep 2012
I don't know how people can watch stuff like Air without problem, but drop this because the art is too weird.

Anyway, good start, the beginning was kinda slow, but it got really intense when they introduced China. Very interesting character.

I'm sure I will have a lot of fun with the sports anime this season.
Apr 10, 2014 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah the art style is quite something but the animation isn't that bad. Actually good.
The scene on the roof was awesome.
Nice start 5/5
Apr 10, 2014 3:34 PM

Dec 2012
I liked the realistic voice acting. I didn't like the artstyle at all, it's better than the manga but it's still not that good. Some shots at the scenery looked good, but that the only thing I can praise about the art. I hoped it would be closer to The Tatami Galaxy's artstyle but it's closer to Kemonozume's.

Well keep watching, it's fairly interesting.
Apr 10, 2014 4:04 PM

Dec 2010
Great! Very nice start. First thing first... I really like the art. I think it perfectly reflects the quirkiness of the characters. And I also like that there's a character fully voiced in a foreign language (and by a native speaker).
5/5
Apr 10, 2014 4:32 PM

Mar 2012
The second part was intense and the mc annoying friend got taught a lesson. China VA sounded so good. And loved the ED.
Now Ping pong joins Jojo and Mushishi for the best anime of the season. Now waiting 4 you, Sidonia no Kishi.
Apr 10, 2014 4:37 PM
Nov 2009
The art style is actually very good imo just not my cup of tea. I understand people not liking something that looks different but I just don't get the hate for it.

First half was okay but the second half got better when they started playing. What that Wenge dude has gone through seems realistic and I like the fact that his VA is Chinese.

Also the ending is nice.

Dunno if I'll continue watching it though as I'm only looking forward to epic ping pong battles. 3/5
Apr 10, 2014 4:43 PM

Oct 2012
Loved it. Not the biggest fan of sports anime, but I guess I have a soft spot for ping pong.
Apr 10, 2014 4:48 PM

Nov 2010
Great first episode. Love the art and animation. It's especially great with the sceneries/setting, and the characters while they are playing. Voice actors are very Yuasa Masakish. And I'm liking the characters and story, main character is the nice sort of apathetic, I can't wait to see what he does later.

Not surprised this isn't that accepted that much here. Anything with a different art style usually isn't.
AversaApr 13, 2014 12:20 PM
Apr 10, 2014 4:54 PM

Feb 2012
SetsukoHara said:
I don't know how people can watch stuff like Air without problem, but drop this because the art is too weird.

Like with most things entertainment wise, the majority usually prefer homogeneity rather than a mix of different stuff / anything ambitious enough to try and break the mold.

Animes like Air are all dolled up, makes everyone cute and beautiful, while Ping Pong goes with the original artist's unique art style. I think both have their aesthetic charms, but what it comes down to in the end is that people are shallow and/or narrow minded (waaahh it's too differeeennnttt). I don't think anybody has ever made a body pillow of an ugly, yet actually well developed character from an anime, have they?
idontwannapostApr 10, 2014 4:57 PM
Apr 10, 2014 5:00 PM
Feb 2011
Kinetics said:
Played table tennis competition for 5 years and loving the story. It would be cool if they delve more into the sport itself though. I haven't read the manga so the art style does seem distorted but I can get used to it. Watching it.

I thought they delved into the sport too fast this episode. Even though China and his coach's dialog highlighted some things about the sport I feel like anyone who doesn't play competitively would be confused. I don't have a problem with either the art or animation since I've read the manga, but I wish they'd highlight the strokes a bit more. Right now Peco's strokes look really unorthodox to me. I might be shallow for saying this, but I get kinda annoyed when I see people play unorthodox :/ Really liked how they showed the spin and some basic strategies in this episode.
Coming from an avid table tennis player, I'm quite pleased so far. And if it's faithful to the manga then this'll probably be my favourite anime this season.
Apr 10, 2014 5:09 PM

Feb 2012
Penciled out sloppy animation lol nothing like aku no hana.... Wait did a character have dreads lol enjoyed the chinese vs japanese battle off
Apr 10, 2014 5:10 PM

Jun 2011
woow, this was even better than i expected
dope as fuck
Apr 10, 2014 5:18 PM

Mar 2014
The animation, I don’t like it at all but I still like the anime. The last match was fun. It was also funny how the translator was saying completely opposite of what that Chinese guy said.
Apr 10, 2014 5:45 PM
Apr 2014
The worst art I have ever seen literaly 2 frames per second in some parts and I can not remember a single character. I'm assuming this is the anime people say they love when they want to try and look sophisticated, but even they themselves hate it. Honestly I will give it two more episodes, but this may in fact be the worst anime I have ever seen.
Apr 10, 2014 6:04 PM

Dec 2010
Scorcher said:
Why is this rated so low???
Its pure genius...second only to Mushishi this season...

- no moe underage loli
- no bewbz
- no big eyes
= can`t fap

I'm assuming this is the anime people say they love when they want to try and look sophisticated, but even they themselves hate it.

Damn feelin` like hipster now. Sophisticated wow. Really, its not even experimental that much art-wsie.

Also mate you are bit late, cause Masaaki Yuasa has been doing anime since 1997.
Apr 10, 2014 6:08 PM
Apr 2014
tearofmankind said:

Damn feelin` like hipster now. Sophisticated wow. Really, its not even experimental that much art-wsie.

Also mate you are bit late, cause Masaaki Yuasa has been doing anime since 1997.

I didn't say it's sophisticated I said people watch it to feel like they are sophisticated. This is like art where people smear there shit on a canvas and other people say how beautiful it is, but it is actually just poo smeared on something it isn't beautiful.
Apr 10, 2014 6:11 PM

Feb 2008
I wish people would stop criticising the art when they evidently have zero knowledge of animation. I'm sorry that it hurt your poor mainstream eyes. We should all dial Yuasa and tell him that artistic creativity isn't allowed in anime. Everything must look cute and fluffy. Hell, we should get rid of people like David Lynch, too. He's destroying the film industry by being different.
Apr 10, 2014 6:23 PM

Dec 2010
Dasitmane said:
tearofmankind said:

I didn't say it's sophisticated I said people watch it to feel like they are sophisticated. This is like art where people smear there shit on a canvas and other people say how beautiful it is, but it is actually just poo smeared on something it isn't beautiful.

Comparing this with shit on canvas. Tell me more about your art and animation knowledge, please.

Also describing Mushishi as "pretentious".

I`m done.
Apr 10, 2014 6:26 PM

Jun 2007
Veronin said:
I wish people would stop criticising the art when they evidently have zero knowledge of animation. I'm sorry that it hurt your poor mainstream eyes. We should all dial Yuasa and tell him that artistic creativity isn't allowed in anime. Everything must look cute and fluffy. Hell, we should get rid of people like David Lynch, too. He's destroying the film industry by being different.

Being creative or 'different' doesn't make something good, komeiji-kun. I haven't watched this, so I'm not saying you're wrong to keep defending the art and animation style - but if you want to defend it please try to explain why it is good instead of just saying "because it is different". I know you're capable of a much better explanation than that mixed with pulling that stupid card about how 'everything has to look the same or its shit hurp durp must b cute n fluffy or u dont like it durp durp'. Stop strawmanning and turning to fallacies and non-points.
Apr 10, 2014 6:29 PM
Aug 2011
So fucking ugly even 1920s anime is better than this i'm sooo sad I didn't post on the first page behind the 3 other people complaining about the art.

Apr 10, 2014 6:35 PM

Feb 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Veronin said:

Being creative or 'different' doesn't make something good, komeiji-kun. I haven't watched this, so I'm not saying you're wrong to keep defending the art and animation style - but if you want to defend it please try to explain why it is good instead of just saying "because it is different". I know you're capable of a much better explanation than that mixed with pulling that stupid card about how 'everything has to look the same or its shit hurp durp must b cute n fluffy or u dont like it durp durp'. Stop strawmanning and turning to fallacies and non-points.

Actually, my argument is the opposite: 'being different doesn't make it bad'. I've said nowhere that I even like this show. I would just rather not hear people with <100 anime on their list crying about the art when they have zero knowledge of Yuasa's style. Tatami Galaxy won the 2010 Japan Media Arts Festival's for animation and it looks exactly the same as this.
Apr 10, 2014 6:39 PM

Jun 2013
i understand why people complaining the animation much, but for me it's kinda unique and epic

love the ED btw, though the animation is a little bit unfinished

9/10
Apr 10, 2014 6:42 PM
Apr 2014
tearofmankind said:

Comparing this with shit on canvas. Tell me more about your art and animation knowledge, please.

Also describing Mushishi as "pretentious".

I`m done.

I knew the same type of people who like this would like mushishi. That being said mushishi is infinitely times better than this.
Apr 10, 2014 6:43 PM

Aug 2013
The OP is probably the most fun and catchy song I've heard this season. The kind of song you listen to when you're running late to school haha ^^

The art style didn't bother me at all. True, it's unique and it took me a couple of minutes to get past it but I thought the writing was brilliant and Smile's stoic nature piqued my interest.

Looks like Smile's actually the real ace, not Peco. I wonder why he intentionally loses when playing him. I'm glad Peco got thrashed by Wenge. He's so arrogant, he definitely needed to be knocked down a couple of notches.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 10, 2014 6:53 PM

Jul 2012
ED is really nice and calming. I like!

At first, I was like the haters who instantly compared this to Aku no Hana's art (nothing against the show, but the art ehhh) and then after watching most of the episode to the match between China and Peco, I really enjoyed this. The style is really unique and interesting, the matches are wicked.

Promising. Hope for more.
Apr 10, 2014 7:04 PM

Jul 2011
Love it! I was expecting something tedious like Fuuji Monogatari, but this actually had excitement. The ping-pong. :D
Especially the Chinese, it was well done and sounds relatively native. Also, the realistic language barrier. Smile is an interesting character, and I want to see how he develops with his talent.

Looking forward to the rest, and I'm glad I decided to pick this up. ^^
Apr 10, 2014 7:06 PM

Jul 2011
Pretty good first episode. I really liked how the backgrounds looked. People need to stop complaining about the animation because the animation was actually good, it's the artstyle they don't like. This is almost as stupid when people call visuals "graphics".
Apr 10, 2014 7:17 PM

Jan 2013
Loved it, really like the animation too.
Apr 10, 2014 7:21 PM

Mar 2013
Even when an anime had unique animation, people would complaint on how bad it turned out. The manga itself dated back in 1995 and the animation are made like that to represented the manga. Since ever do people need to limited themselves and not trying to enjoyed something extremely different?
Arisa_LucifiriaApr 10, 2014 7:24 PM
Apr 10, 2014 7:24 PM

Mar 2013
Loved every second of it.
[25/04/14 4:04:39 PM] Skitzo: doujins have deep psychological undertones about the sexual intrigue of human behavior
Apr 10, 2014 7:25 PM

Jan 2011
I generally prefer good (read: standard) character design/artstyle too but it didn't bother me here, simply because the premise and execution were good.

Also, Wenge was epic.
Apr 10, 2014 7:35 PM
Feb 2011
Mirorin said:
Love it! I was expecting something tedious like Fuuji Monogatari, but this actually had excitement. The ping-pong. :D
Especially the Chinese, it was well done and sounds relatively native. Also, the realistic language barrier. Smile is an interesting character, and I want to see how he develops with his talent.

Actually that's another aspect I like about it: the Mandarin sounds pretty legit(although their accent makes me think they're from northern China).

I really hope they show off more aspects of the sport since it looks like it'll be quite faithful to the manga.
L2Apr 10, 2014 7:39 PM
Apr 10, 2014 7:49 PM

Mar 2010
I don't even care about how the scenes were reused in that OP. It was sequenced well and not only are the scenes in sync with the melody, but the back and forth repetition captures the fun of the upbeat song. The sketchy ED is also nice, similarly using a limited amount of frames in beginning, but also making the best of it. Visually, this show is plentiful in dynamic, well composed scenes, just oozing with color. As for the characters, count me interested and I look forward to how they will play off of each other, particularly the contrast between Smile's apathy and China's aggressiveness. Then, Koizumi's "There's always someone better than you" is a nice lead in into Peco's overconfidence in his ability against China. Not to mention, how the show is multilingual, instead of assuming everyone automatically knows how to speak Japanese lol. Another noteworthy line is when Peco says "only people with no talent exert effort", which plays into Smile's apathy. I also enjoy little things like the episode title slide being shown in the middle of the episode, just after its relevance is introduced.
Apr 10, 2014 7:51 PM

Jul 2012
L2 said:
Mirorin said:

Actually that's another aspect I like about it: the Mandarin sounds pretty legit(although their accent makes me think they're from northern China).

Yeah. The mandarin is fabulously done coming from a Chinese person myself LOL unlike the one from Diamond no Ace omg
Apr 10, 2014 7:58 PM

Mar 2013
The chinese guy saved episode. i liked megane guy tough
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Apr 10, 2014 8:09 PM

Sep 2013
so far liking the animation and OMG that wenge VA is so god damn good
loving the animation is one of the uniquest in this season
Apr 10, 2014 8:21 PM

Aug 2008
good, I got used to the animation by the end of the ep. Will continue watching this, it makes me curious about how Smile is strong.
mayukachan said:
L2 said:
Mirorin said:

Yeah. The mandarin is fabulously done coming from a Chinese person myself LOL unlike the one from Diamond no Ace omg
And not like Senkou no Night Raid. XD
KuriniApr 10, 2014 8:24 PM
Apr 10, 2014 8:22 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Opening song is good!

Unique characters designs and animation. Not bad.

"Smile"; what a fitting nickname for a guy who hardly put on any emotions. XD
Though, he plays pretty well.

Wenge and his coach/translator were analyzing Yoshino vs. Tsukimoto just by the sound of them playing?! That was quite amazing!

Wenge was badass; defeating Peco without letting him score a single point.
Too bad for him; as he's stuck with them just for making one mistake.. China must be very strict about losing..

Looking forward to "Smile" vs Wenge. That'll be a good game!

Good ending song. It may become a decent sport anime of this season.

Apr 10, 2014 8:24 PM
Oct 2012
Impressive.
It's shame this type of animation is seen as BAD, whereas typical moe-like animation and CGI are seen as GOOD.
Apr 10, 2014 8:25 PM

Aug 2013
AMAZING, just as i thought it'd be.

People complaining about the visuals are funny. I'm not saying you "must" force yourself to enjoy it, but it's something different and relevantly unique. Don't criticize an attempt to bring up originality and creativity. Btw, i loved the visuals.
Apr 10, 2014 8:33 PM

Apr 2011
Wow, this totally exceeded my expectations. I'm really looking forward to episode 2 now.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Apr 10, 2014 8:47 PM
Oct 2012
?I'm not saying I hate moe-like animation and they are worse than this. I have watched a lot of moe animes and like them.
What I'm saying is this type of anime is as good as them.
You can find a lot of comments saying this animation is bad and ugly. No, it's not.
Apr 10, 2014 8:51 PM
Mar 2014
I have zero interest in table tennis but this was really good. Different, but good.

Peco being undeservedly arrogant, Wenge being deservedly so, Smile claiming he isn't Peco's keeper while quietly following along and intentionally losing to him. Awesome.
Apr 10, 2014 8:52 PM

Aug 2008
So good I can't believe it's anime.
Apr 10, 2014 8:57 PM
Apr 2011
peco's voice sounded familiar, but there's no va listed for him on mal. anyone know who it is?
Apr 10, 2014 8:59 PM

Jul 2012
MaxVdub said:
peco's voice sounded familiar, but there's no va listed for him on mal. anyone know who it is?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=126790
LOL
Apr 10, 2014 9:03 PM
Apr 2011
he hasn't been in anything else then? guess he just sounds like some other va to me
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

395 by Gojo_Sensai12 »»
Feb 18, 3:13 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 1, 2014

140 by SHS13 »»
Aug 1, 2023 1:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.