Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 4:19 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is a topic for people to rate the episodes of "Nadia".

"Do you seek adventure beyond the treacherous waterfalls? Do you seek the mythical being that lies in this unreachable place? If you do, then you must first find me."

And with that statement begins "Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water," an adventurous sci-fi series loosely based on Jules Verne's novel, "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." Originally, the concept for the show was conceived by a young Hayao Miyazaki, but it wasn't until twenty years after he first pitched the idea that animation studio Gainax and their creative director, Hideaki Anno, would launch this concept into what would become a smash hit serial.

It is always valuable to have a strong first episode in order to give viewers the implication what kind of show this is going to be, and "Nadia" delivers this not only in its first episode, but in the subsequent seven. In addition to providing interesting characters, the opening episodes showcase some impressive television animation for its time. The tone is upbeat and lively without being cartoonish, and the pacing, although slow, builds up masterfully. A classic.
JTurnerJan 17, 2008 4:49 PM
Aug 24, 2009 3:25 PM

May 2008
JTurner said:
Originally, the concept for the show was conceived by a young Hayao Miyazaki, but it wasn't until twenty years after he first pitched the idea that animation studio Gainax and their creative director, Hideaki Anno, would launch this concept into what would become a smash hit serial.

This explains a lot. The entire first episode I kept thinking, "wow this reminds me a lot of Laputa." Not at all what I was expecting from Gainax, but it seems like it could be good.
Aug 28, 2009 11:05 AM
Jan 2008
For the most part it's a very enjoyable show, but there are several episodes that I strongly recommend skipping past, as they are absolutely horrible and nearly bring down the show (see my reviews on all these episodes for your reference).
Oct 10, 2009 10:27 AM

Feb 2009
Just started watching this again. I saw the first few episodes a long time ago, but never found the rest of the series. What a show this is! The Miyazaki elements definitely shine through.

Dec 17, 2009 4:03 PM

May 2008
Pretty good first episode, seems a bit cliché but I don't really mind.
May 27, 2014 3:24 AM
Apr 2013
Excellent opener.

I love how the episode makes a past era seem so fun and current, it really takes you there. Obviously it's not necessarily an accurate portrayal of the late 19th century, but I definitely think it achieves the aim of taking the viewer to a "different world".

The plotline is very Miyazaki, that's true!
Jul 25, 2014 8:00 AM

May 2011
This is one of the anime that I watched in my Childhood though I wasn't regularly watching it, you know, when I see it, I watch it.

The first episode was great, apart from that French people speak Japanese, everything was brilliant. The introduction of the characters was decent. I'm eager to see the improvement in their relationship NadiaxJean

A lot of people are after that blue glaring diamond Niadai owns. If I still remember, it's like a map that leads to an island.
Jan 12, 2016 8:09 AM

Nov 2011

It was so plain to see the foundation of Steamboy in just one episode. And it was way more enjoyable than the whole 2 hours of it.
Jun 20, 2016 6:48 PM
Jan 2008
Satan-sama said:
This is one of the anime that I watched in my Childhood though I wasn't regularly watching it, you know, when I see it, I watch it.

The first episode was great, apart from that French people speak Japanese, everything was brilliant. The introduction of the characters was decent. I'm eager to see the improvement in their relationship NadiaxJean

A lot of people are after that blue glaring diamond Niadai owns. If I still remember, it's like a map that leads to an island.

The dub of Nadia handles the characters differently, given each appropriate although admittingly sometimes shaky accents. Jean, in particular, has the thickest, although keep in mind that Nathan Parsons was 12 years old when he did the part and was just learning it. That said, he provides a lot of heart and enthusiasm to the role, which gradually makes up for the inconsistent accent. He's not the only character with an accent. His uncle and aunt also have French accents. Grandis and Sanson, amusingly, have British accents, Electra has a British accent, and several of the Nautilus crew members have different accents. Your mileage may vary with the results, but the approach is absolutely understandable and in this case, justified. Remember, this is a show set in Europe with characters from different cultures.
Sep 11, 2016 5:26 PM

Jan 2010
I'm so happy I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea before this.

The Industrial Revolution, the introduction of a mysterious "creature" that was destroying a number of ships, a number of countries accusing each other of developing a secret weapon, the main characters being French, The Exposition Universelle of 1889, the love of inventions, and a plethora of late 19th Century/early 20th Century steampunk-ish technology. This is great.

I'm curious of the change that Professor Aronnax of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a researcher and marine biologist, while Jean here is an inventor. There's also the early monowheel motorcycle design which I recognized from Steamboy as well.

That's from 1869, 1931, Nadia, and Steamboy respectively.

Lastly, Captain Nemo was described to be Indian, so Jean's assumption makes a lot of sense here.
Dec 5, 2016 6:07 PM

Apr 2012
Definitely Miyazaki-esque but with a buxom wench for the dads
Sep 11, 2017 10:05 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm doing a rewatch of this almost 15 years after I saw for the first time. There was no MAL back then so this is my chance to share some of my thoughts of it.

The Miyazaki influence on the Gainax boys is evident here. The look, the feel, the admiration for vintage technology. Really immersive too.

I've always been a bit ambivalent about Nadia, but here on this rewatch I remembered about her hardships in the circus and with her dad, so maybe I've been too critical of her.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 12, 2017 11:14 AM
Jan 2008
Farabeuf said:
I've always been a bit ambivalent about Nadia, but here on this rewatch I remembered about her hardships in the circus and with her dad, so maybe I've been too critical of her.

It was much easier for me to be sympathetic towards Nadia at the beginning of the show and even most of the Nautilus episodes. But when it went to Island/Africa territory she became less and less sympathetic and more annoying. That was a real deal-breaker for me.
Sep 13, 2017 8:02 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
JTurner said:
Farabeuf said:

It was much easier for me to be sympathetic towards Nadia at the beginning of the show and even most of the Nautilus episodes. But when it went to Island/Africa territory she became less and less sympathetic and more annoying. That was a real deal-breaker for me.

Yeah, I just chose to write those off. Anno going of the rails and studio's rushing to increase content.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 25, 2018 3:20 AM

Nov 2013
Grandis is bae but the other characters are all kinda annoying.
GvendolineJan 29, 2018 2:30 AM
Feb 20, 2018 6:06 PM

Nov 2014
Amid an aviation contest in 18th century Paris, a young aviator, Jean, is smitten by an attractive girl riding her bike through town with a tiger cub. He wastes no time chasing her down to woo her (a male MC who takes initiative in the first episode, what??). After their initial—somewhat bumpy—contact, Grandis, the presumed villain, intervenes to confiscate something important that Nadia posesses, marking the start of the adventure.

Good pacing and characters so far. I'm liking it.

5/5
Mar 7, 2018 10:26 AM

Jan 2013
this is cute and funny but i have to comment on how she lists all those countries then a whole continent as if egypt isn't a part of africa...
Mar 12, 2018 12:43 PM

Nov 2011
In this first episode known as the prologue to what will come next, indicating the geopolitical situation and the atmosphere that was breathed at that time, and introducing the characters giving him a small but quite exhaustive characterization. Drawings and animations are good as quality, the soundtrack I have yet to evaluate it well. This is the first time I see this anime series after it was broadcast in my country for the first time on television.
May 16, 2018 9:38 PM

May 2012
Well that was surprisingly good, and boy did this remind me just a bit too much of Yatterman with Doronjo and her gang :p

Looking forwards to see what's next.
Oct 29, 2018 3:17 AM

Jun 2016
This is the prettiest shit ever
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2018 6:51 AM

Mar 2014
Great way to start things off!
I'm loving the setting and the characters and the animation, and the soundtrack, and well... just everything so far! :D
::End of Transmission::

Mar 7, 2019 6:33 PM

Aug 2016
Yeah, A fine 1st episode. And that lil lion looks ugly as f*ck
:v
Aug 25, 2019 3:10 PM

Aug 2017
Fun fact: Jean is voiced by the same seiyuu as Noriko from Gunbuster
Feb 17, 2020 8:53 PM

Jan 2014
An excellent start with a very nice episode ^-^

I love the art style it looks so vibrant and colorful with each character having a nice distinct aesthetic and the animation is very fluid as well everything moves and flows very well! It also had a great atmosphere of whimsical adventurous fun as well as an element of mystery to it which I am sure will be expanded upon and uncovered more going forward.

Plus the introduction to several likable characters was handled well! I like Jean's upbeat wide eyed attitude and how he still tries to pursue and help Nadia even when she says she does not need his help. Ah, to fall in love makes you do crazy things ^-^ him wanting to do the right thing and save her really was admirable! Nadia despite being closed off to Jean (although I imagine she has had to rely on just herself for a long time so it is hard for her to open up to others and has always had to earn any help she received so she is not use to aid that comes from the kindness of one's heart) was still likable and accept Jean's help eventually maybe she was also worried about getting others involved with her problems for fear they might have something bad happen to them!

Even our trio of villains who are more comedic in nature seem to have a nice balance to them where they are funny but also feel like a threat to our heroes. The two henchmen even have names that are just one letter of difference Hanson and Sanson how lucky they got involved in the same business :D But, goodness gracious Grandis X3 what a beauty of a villainess 😍 from her piercing scarlet hair, expressive face and lovely voice! Not only does she look fantastic in that high society ladylike yellow dress she looks great in her red officer uniform as well plus she is not above using under handed tactics or direct approaches to accomplish her goals cannot wait to see more of her antics 🤗

Overall very fun and the technological period with Jules Verne inspirations is utilized greatly in this episode from the villains tank vehicle changing to flight mode through that piano command to the motorized wheel and flying machines very cool and creative! Looking forward to what comes next and I have heard about the filler episodes for this series but hell I survived the filler episodes from the original Naruto anime I am sure I will be fine . . . . right? Well only one way to find out :D

Mar 1, 2020 7:01 AM

Sep 2018
The beginning, with a very adventurous flavor, immediately puts many expectations on what you are about to see. The narration immediately gives us a small summary to make us more easily fall into the contexts and starts immediately with a lively look and without wasting time. Excellent drawings and animations. The opening and ending are catchy and with the typical musicality of the nineties, both beautiful.
Aug 13, 2020 5:45 PM
May 2020
On the one hand, I found it quite impressive that a girl does a bunch of impressive aerobatic skills and it is immediately deduced by the other characters and shown to us that she is from the circus. A lot of anime just give characters great physical skills without any practical explanation as to why. On the other hand, I can't see it is credible at all for someone to have a flying machine that capable prior to the Wright Brother's plane was landed. Then again, this isn't are world since Sea Monsters are an internationally recognized threat.
Dec 13, 2020 1:28 PM

Jul 2008
This is almost an exact copy of Future Boy Conan, with a different makeover.
Jan 14, 2021 3:57 PM

Feb 2012
Did Grandis make up sister/guardian thing on the spot or was Nadia forced to live with her before the circus?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 23, 2022 1:13 AM
Apr 2022
Seems like a super cool show so far I'm really liking it
May 25, 2022 6:38 PM
Jun 2011
Super dug this first episode. Lots of intriguing elements right off the bat. I've always wanted to see the series partly responsible for Anno's spiraling mental anguish. Funny how a show so bright and cheerful could help spawn a nihilistic masterwork like Eva. I look forward to more, and god I hope we get even more vintage crazy flying machines! 19th century inventions are the best! Also, gotta love those painted crowd shots. Who needs moving flags and crowds anyway? Haha, I'm gonna love this I just know it.
May 28, 2022 1:50 PM

Feb 2021
That was goofy as hell. I liked it, I don't know if I'd be into watching nearly 40 eps though. That scene jumping on the elevator was painful to watch
Nov 30, 2022 12:01 AM
Feb 2014
It's more for kids I guess
Jun 14, 2023 12:02 AM
Feb 2021
I like how in the running sequence of the op song Hanson looks like he learned running from an instruction manual.
Dec 29, 2023 8:49 PM

Oct 2021
Good first episode. Nadia has an awesome character design, and the time period gives a lot of opportunities for cool wacky technological gadgets.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.