Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 12, 2014 3:24 PM

Mar 2012
One of the contenders for AOTS this season based on the production values alone. Wizarding lawyers are also a pretty interesting concept and it looks like we're jumping right into the story so I'll be watching this one for sure.
Jan 12, 2014 3:27 PM

Jul 2012
One of the best animated this season for sure. OST is pretty good too. Plot-wise is okay and characters are somewhat weak, but I'm sure it'll get better soon. I wish the main girl would stop looking like a 9-year-old. LOL ^^;
Jan 12, 2014 3:32 PM

Jul 2008
This epsiode reeked of "trying to be cool". Just showing off fancy animation at bad timing. Everything blowing up in a city full of people all the time is not cool, it's lame. And moreover the main character who's supposed to be different form teh "bad guys" destroyed a whole lot of stuff at the end of the episode too.
Possibly one of the "dumbest" series this season.

Art style somehow grossed me out... those faces...

Anime has good staff but they picked the wrong story to animate.

Jan 12, 2014 3:33 PM

Apr 2013
I had extremely low expectations for this one because of how bad Galilei Donna was, but it's actually pretty good. As soon as I saw Umetsu's character designs I knew that this would be treated with more care than Galilei Donna.
Jan 12, 2014 4:00 PM
Oct 2007
Magic users, norio wakamoto, and the creator of Kite? Awesome!!!
Jan 12, 2014 4:25 PM

May 2010
marian11 said:
Honestly, the comments here say only good stuff about the 1st episode yet it has a score of 6.83. Dafuq?

because of idiots that judge and rate a show by the first episode. and there are thousands of them on MAL.

i really liked the episode. the action in the beginning was pretty sweet. the CGI didnt stand out too much which is a huge plus for me. the Opening + song were great imo.

the scene where the mech was "summoned" and build from all the metal in the surrounding area..that looked great! animation has been solid in this episode.

i watched a few scenes frame by frame and it looks very fluid. btw i watched 1080p version.

enjoying this show alot sofar 5/5

//edit

yeh i saw kite and i noticed the similarity of the art style almost instantly. its the faces that really remind me on it.
KerozinnJan 12, 2014 4:28 PM
Jan 12, 2014 4:41 PM

Sep 2008
I know Umetsu Yasuomi is famous for his character designs, but after watching this, I think maybe he shouldn't be anymore. I mean, when Kite and Mezzo came out, his stuff was unique and eye-opening, but time has passed him by. And this is an old guy saying this.

Jan 12, 2014 4:46 PM

Sep 2011
I guess I'm the only one who found the MC Sudou, Cecil extremely corny and annoying. Despite a lot of people hating the frog with him annoyingly saying bon all the time I rather have him over Cecil. If she wasn't in this anime it would be perfect because I liked everything else.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2014 4:47 PM

Sep 2013
Perverted frog :P "Oh my, bon!" LAWL

Lol now cecil is in trouble :3
Jan 12, 2014 4:52 PM

May 2012
Love the explosive actions and magic animation scenes. Hopefully the plot will not go downhill..
Jan 12, 2014 5:05 PM

Aug 2008
I feared it would have a lot of fanservice coming from ARMS and the director, glad it did not.

There is some unconsistence in the animation imo (in the OP for ex), but it was interesting to watch. It was better than I anticipated.
Jan 12, 2014 5:21 PM

Jan 2008
The animation in the beginning was really something. Kinda felt like I was watching a movie.

The female character designs reminds me of the girls from the hentai Kite and Mezzo Forte... /goes and check character design. Yep same person. And he's even the director too.
Jan 12, 2014 5:32 PM

Oct 2011
Dammmnn haven't seen this much high quality action scenes in a while. Might watch the anime just for that. As of right now, there isn't a character that really stands out for me and the MC is a bit annoying.
Jan 12, 2014 5:36 PM
Apr 2011
Well, from the first episode:

Pros:
- Great animation, especially during the action scenes. Even some of the non action scenes were really nice, notably the "Focus pull" effect at 3:25 or so when the cops are watching the wizard barristers walk by.
- Good sound/music

Cons:
- Bit much in the way of fanservice (frog getting a face full of ass, then groping sudou's boobs). I feel like a series with this caliber of animation could be so much better if it didn't pander to horny teens.
- Those faces. Some of the girls' heads are way too small and their eyes are way too big. Some of Sudou's facial animations were... just plain weird.

I like it so far, but only with time will we see how it goes.
Jan 12, 2014 5:44 PM

Jun 2013
The art style is certainly interesting.
Magic and city destruction is awesome.
Hentai frog's voice level is over 9000!

Didn't expect much, but so far so good. Will keep watching :)
Jan 12, 2014 6:03 PM

Aug 2013
Great animation, especially during the fight scenes. I actually really like the character designs, most of the are all so bright and colorful. That one guy with the blue hair's face was weird looking, though.
wow gay
Jan 12, 2014 6:09 PM

Apr 2012
The character design and the train scene in the beggining reminded me to Kite, wich is awesome, but i'm not really sure if i like the main character, i prefer the two cops from the begining, i'll keep watching it anyways, because of the great animation and action scenes.
Jan 12, 2014 6:13 PM

Jul 2013
Damn an interesting concept; wizards and humans living in the real world. Though Wizards are under heavy surveillance for committing dangerous crimes. Pretty good start up episode.

Action and Animation look very fluid, but the character designs are sort of unique in a way. We'll see how the story goes.

Jan 12, 2014 6:22 PM

Feb 2013
Not a bad start. Good action up front. I expect more as things continue. At the very least, magic is lethal here.
Jan 12, 2014 6:37 PM

Aug 2012
showing her mother at prison, her getting mad at "losing self defense" and that her being wizard barristers.. i kinda know her back story now... guess watching lots of anime help xD

and wow this anime really show how human can be... lol! and worst this actually happen in real life..
"I don't like Megane, I love them"

Jan 12, 2014 6:54 PM

Apr 2011
At last something worth watching amongst the plethora of bullshit airing this season.
Jan 12, 2014 6:56 PM

Sep 2012
Holy shit that animation is beautiful.
This show seems like it'll be perfect for me, so hello anime of the season!
Jan 12, 2014 7:20 PM

Mar 2012
Kurini said:
I feared it would have a lot of fanservice coming from ARMS and the director, glad it did not.

Oh, don't worry. This is just episode 1. Theirs plenty of time for fanservice!
Jan 12, 2014 7:23 PM

Feb 2012
Nice start. I love the premise of the show. There's hardly any anime where the main chars are lawyers, but to have them be lawyers dealing with magic? Very cool.

I'm keeping expectations low but I'm eager to see where they take this show since there's clearly a 'main bad guy' lurking in the shadows keeping an eye on Cecil.
Jan 12, 2014 7:25 PM

Apr 2012
great animation, promising plot

i'll keep watching!

Jan 12, 2014 7:39 PM

May 2011
I found the first episode to be really enjoyable, one of my favorites for this season so far. Beautifully done action and in with that, a pretty interesting set-up of powerful people living within a certain set of rules still.
Jan 12, 2014 7:42 PM

Jul 2010
I expected something like this, yet, I'm astonished. It was even better.
The animations are the best animations thus far in this season, hands down everyone.
Nothing less from Umetsu Yasuomi.

The concept is also interesting, lawyers for magicians? Hell yes.
But I must admit to you guys, it doesn't matter, even if Froggy-Perv-Wakamoto was alone in this show as the only character, I would watch it anyway.

FROGGY-PERV-WAKAMOTO, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT.
Jan 12, 2014 8:17 PM

Aug 2013
Oh my bon that was a great episode :D! I gotta say one of the best first episodes this season. WAKAMOTO-bon!

I actually like the art style. I guess some people just aren't used to a different style from their usual anime.

Hopefully the story holds up. I like Cecil already :)
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 12, 2014 9:02 PM

Jul 2013
oh look at those epic action scenes and OSTs.... I'm not too fond of females MCs but who cares.. this is entertaining...I just hope it stays consistent,bon.

so whats the reason why she want to stay dressed like that??? to look cute??..
Jan 12, 2014 9:08 PM

Aug 2009
I don't understand all this hate for the character designs. I'm so sick of every anime using the exact same boring-ass generic LN char designs. It's nice to have unique char designs, in this case though these are the signature designs of the director Umetsu and I'm glad to see them being used again. Second best first impression for this season only to Space Dandy.
LoneWolfJan 12, 2014 9:19 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 12, 2014 9:16 PM

Jul 2013
xchee said:
Oh my bon that was a great episode :D! I gotta say one of the best first episodes this season. WAKAMOTO-bon!

I actually like the art style. I guess some people just aren't used to a different style from their usual anime.

Hopefully the story holds up. I like Cecil already :)

+1
Paul said:
The animation in the beginning was really something. Kinda felt like I was watching a movie.

^ This too
Unique design, I like it.
Dat perverted frog
The diaboloid Cecil made was awesome
Hoping the rest of the series will be good too.
Jan 12, 2014 9:24 PM

May 2011
What have they done to you Wakamoto...

Not a bad first episode I suppose. Nice visuals but not a fan of the MC though.
Jan 12, 2014 10:15 PM

Jan 2009
animation is top notch i hope it stays consistent
Jan 12, 2014 10:24 PM
Aug 2011
WindSpeaks said:
What have they done to you Wakamoto...

They've done nothing. Wakamoto has been voicing weird creatures for years now.
That being said I didn't even know he was going to be in this so that was a very pleasant surprise.

The episode was another surprise. This show had flown under my radar a little bit and hopefully it stays on track.
Some people here mentioned Galilei Donna and my god, that one went off the rails quickly.

I kind of like Cecil but her co-workers are quite irritating.
They are her seniors and older than her but my first impression is that they act like idiots.
Jan 12, 2014 10:37 PM
May 2011
It seems people in this anime are categorized in two different classes:
- people who want to defend the magicians
- people who consider them as non-human criminals, no matter what they do
I had enough of the naive "good guy vs bad guy", "everything is black and white" thing. I already know I'll have a hard time with most of the characters in this anime and their absolutely cliché behavior in a cliché manichean setting, and I already have tons of animes to watch, so it's gonna be a drop for me.
Jan 12, 2014 10:39 PM

Jun 2013
Agreed the animation is top notch, but I'm not a fan of the facial characteristics of the female. The faces have a somewhat odd look to them, whereas the male characters seem pretty standard fare. I might be alone on that and it's just a small gripe; won't deter me from watching this at all. I smell potential!
Jan 12, 2014 11:19 PM

Jan 2013
Canadian MC = instant 11/10

But in all seriousness, I enjoyed Someday's Dreamers which dissects what it would be like if magic was regulated in modern society (but only to the few) and the moral consequences and values of it but in an extremely sincere environment.

Wizard Barrister seems like it could be its more graphic counterpart and centering more on the mores and the legal side than the folkways and the social side. With that said I dig the premise and the action bits were cool, the animation was nice, etc so I hope this ends up being good. The execution and dialogue is a bit spotty in places which hinders it a tad so far, but hopefully it will even out. On another note, I picked up on the character designs and knew there must be some relations to Kite, Mezzo, etc amongst the staff and found out it is the same director as well...but then I found out he also did Galilei Donna which was just crud, so I hope he can return to form with this series. 7+/10 so far.
Jan 12, 2014 11:43 PM

Feb 2013
Just watching this because Wakamoto.

It might be good tho c:
Jan 13, 2014 12:31 AM

May 2010
this was godlike, one of my fav art styles.
Jan 13, 2014 12:32 AM

Jul 2013
I know it's early but how come this is rated so low? do people always hate anime that doesn't follow the usual tropes?

The concept is very unique and the animation is top-notch. The art style reminds of Kite and Mezzo Forte.
Jan 13, 2014 12:55 AM

Aug 2013
Slightly annoyed by the bons. Other than that, it was enjoyable
Jan 13, 2014 12:55 AM
Apr 2013
because
jiraiya_sensei said:
I know it's early but how come this is rated so low? do people always hate anime that doesn't follow the usual tropes?

The concept is very unique and the animation is top-notch. The art style reminds of Kite and Mezzo Forte.

because is made by Yasuomi Umetsu too
Jan 13, 2014 1:14 AM

Sep 2009
jiraiya_sensei said:

For me personally, it's not super interesting. It might become more interesting for me later on. As for the rating, I can't say...I never rate a show unless I actually complete it.

This show has the same director as Kite and Mezzo Forte, though both of those shows aren't rated highly either. I haven't seen Kite or Mezzo Forte so I don't really have an opinion on them.
Jan 13, 2014 1:37 AM

Jan 2009
saxophone15 said:
As for the rating, I can't say...I never rate a show unless I actually complete it.

-if u don't finish a show, u clearly didn't like it.

===================
Ep1 Thoughts:
1:44 im surprised those 2 managed to jump on the train without falling

3:31 dem tiny blue pig tails… masculinity failure

14:49 what a perverted frog

21:16 I've got to get me one of those 'manifestable machines'

-------------
Overall:
1. At least the setting isn't based at a typical middle/high school

2. OP & ED songs are just ok & nothing special.

3. I've never been into supernatural powers because most of the time those 'magic moves' just aren't believable and it's very predictable. I did like "A Certain Scientific Railgun"

4. All the 'court jargon' really is boring and puts me to sleep

5. I hope this doesn't turn into 'monster of the week' type anime

6. 1st half of this episode was so boring, I was begging it to end during the 2nd half

7. Voice acting, graphics and music are top grade. Characters are boring as hell, except for Sudo. The story line doesn't seem interesting at all. It is just episode 1, so can't really be attached right away. But I'm willing to give any anime a try because it might end up turning out great.

Ep1: 3/10
billybob300cJan 13, 2014 1:40 AM
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 13, 2014 1:37 AM

Aug 2008
Great visuals, superb character designs, and an interesting and fresh setting.

Based on the first episode alone, this could be my favorite anime this season.
Jan 13, 2014 1:50 AM
Feb 2013
Another good first episode for me this season

I like the character designs, the action, the setting and the magic law concept.

The overly obvious people who can use magic=bad(wud they are called/labeled?) logic is annoying, if the guy who defended that girl used a gun or a knife instead of magic trying to be the hero, there would be nothing wrong?.
Definitely hooked for this show though.
Jan 13, 2014 1:58 AM

Sep 2009
billybob300c said:
saxophone15 said:
As for the rating, I can't say...I never rate a show unless I actually complete it.

-if u don't finish a show, u clearly didn't like it.
Not necessarily. There are many shows I never finished that I wouldn't mind going back to one day...I just either haven't found the time or wasn't in the mood. Yes, there are some shows that I dropped because I truly didn't like it, but those are actually in the minority.
Jan 13, 2014 2:34 AM

Jan 2009
A little surprise, this is a good first episode !
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2014

97 by Talamare »»
May 30, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

111 by GlennMagusHarvey »»
Aug 23, 2022 7:31 AM

Poll: » Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

123 by GlennMagusHarvey »»
Aug 23, 2022 7:20 AM

Poll: » Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

51 by GlennMagusHarvey »»
Aug 23, 2022 2:58 AM

Poll: » Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

51 by GlennMagusHarvey »»
Aug 22, 2022 2:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.