Forum Settings
Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « First ... « 33 34 [35] 36 37 » ... Last »
Aug 9, 2018 12:25 PM

May 2014
Fate/Zero. Saber is so boring like most of the characters in this show. Battle royale btw.
Aug 9, 2018 12:29 PM

May 2015
Um nothing, since overrated is a dumb buzzword.

Aug 9, 2018 12:43 PM

Aug 2017
Many, many shows. For example:

Violet Evergarden.

Darling in the FranXX.

Grand Blue.

Dragon Ball.

Some overrated anime annoy me, others not. When I like an overrated anime, sometimes, I call them popular rather than overrated (for example Boku no Hero Academia). Anyway, overrated is not a bad word (or 'Elitist' or 'hater' word like many complain). Feel free to use that.

NurguburuAug 9, 2018 12:57 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 9, 2018 12:47 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Kill la Kill, Haruhi and Oregairu are pretty much the ones that, as always, immediately come to mind.

The latter two especially, I kind of the think KLK falls victim to some rather silly defenses and some superficial praise in regards to how it handles sexualization specifically but it isn't exactly baffling why people like it the more I think about it. Bombastic, distinct designs and some cool action, a bunch of weird little tidbits people can extract from it to believe there's a deeper meaning to it that allows it to be interpreted in all kinds of weird and off the wall ways with what it communicates to its audience - KLK interpretations feel like they should be a meme to me sometimes, honestly, considering the low quality and reachiness of so many I've seen, ranging from a feminist outcry to calling for a communist revolution in Japan to being critical of western values and ideals taking place in Japanese society to something something fascism 'cause they mentioned it a couple of times blah blah blah - but the latter two just seem downright objectionable to me. Someone explained the appeal of Haruhi to me once and I actually legit thought it was a pretty comprehensible reason, but I also kind of had this lurking feeling that it wasn't really a prominent approach or way of appreciating the series because it also seemed like it'd be relatively out there and a kind-of-sort-of abstract way of looking at the series, which I'm just honestly not convinced most people would be doing. OreGairu is just...ech. Totally ech.
ManabanAug 9, 2018 12:54 PM

Aug 9, 2018 12:55 PM

Aug 2018
sakuraicy said:
-Baccano
-ef A tale of melodies/memories
-Mirai nikki
-SAO
sakuraicy said:
-Baccano
-Mirai nikki
-SAO

I don’t see how people overrate ef when I never hear anyone talking about it
Aug 9, 2018 3:16 PM

Jan 2011
Violet evergarden. The art and animation is indeed very beautiful, but the anime itself was boring for me.
Aug 9, 2018 4:35 PM

Mar 2018
DemBananasFTW said:
sakuraicy said:
-Baccano
-Mirai nikki
-SAO
sakuraicy said:
-Baccano
-Mirai nikki
-SAO

Yes, i don't see anyone talking about it, but when people do see it, they tend to overrate. Maybe the serie is actually good but it's not my cup of tea so i thought that people overrated it. Overall it's just an opinion of mine.
Aug 9, 2018 4:52 PM

Aug 2018
sakuraicy said:
DemBananasFTW said:

Yes, i don't see anyone talking about it, but when people do see it, they tend to overrate. Maybe the serie is actually good but it's not my cup of tea so i thought that people overrated it. Overall it's just an opinion of mine.

Yeah I can see how some people wouldn’t like it. It can be confusing at times and I feel like it sometimes tries to be artistic and edgy for the sake of being artistic and edgy.
Aug 9, 2018 5:04 PM

Jan 2018
SAO definitely,that shit should've been scored wayyy lower
Aug 9, 2018 5:09 PM

Feb 2014
AKIRA
Cowboy Bebop
Shingeki no Kyojin
Devilman Crybaby (And i gave it a seven)
and possibly Fate/Zero
Aug 9, 2018 5:17 PM

Feb 2018
Jare4lopez said:
Don't know but I feel Steven Universe is a bit overrated as there are way better shows such as Gumball and Gravity Falls

I really like The Amazing World of Gumball. I wake up early before work, and I am always annoyed to see SU come on after the desperate, post-KotH shitshow that is Adult Swim trying to get The Cleveland Show revived... I am too tired/don't pay enough attention in the mornings to know which days SU vs Gumball fall on, but I always have to settle for gross Married... With Children re-runs on SU days, because The Golden Girls comes on only when I leave for work most days, and I am usually not in the mood for I Love Lucy so early in the morning.

Golden Girls is my favorite animu.
casual_filthAug 9, 2018 5:21 PM
Aug 9, 2018 6:17 PM

Nov 2016
casual_filth said:
Jare4lopez said:
Don't know but I feel Steven Universe is a bit overrated as there are way better shows such as Gumball and Gravity Falls

I really like The Amazing World of Gumball. I wake up early before work, and I am always annoyed to see SU come on after the desperate, post-KotH shitshow that is Adult Swim trying to get The Cleveland Show revived... I am too tired/don't pay enough attention in the mornings to know which days SU vs Gumball fall on, but I always have to settle for gross Married... With Children re-runs on SU days, because The Golden Girls comes on only when I leave for work most days, and I am usually not in the mood for I Love Lucy so early in the morning.

Golden Girls is my favorite animu.

smh.

Golden Girls is overrated, The Cosby Show is much better anime.

Aug 9, 2018 6:18 PM

Mar 2017
Every anime is overrated, everybody wins.
Aug 9, 2018 6:21 PM

Feb 2018
death note cuz its trash note ahhaha pls no hate death note just sucks
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2018 6:31 PM

Oct 2017
Everyone here are just posting their personal opinons based on their personal experiences and that's not fair to judge overrating.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Aug 9, 2018 6:33 PM

Oct 2017
2DEnthusiast said:
Every anime is overrated, everybody wins.
Pretty much everyone posting on this thread,everything is overrated only their personal best shows are not.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Aug 9, 2018 6:53 PM

Nov 2017
Fmab. Pretty meh and far from the masterpiece everyone hypes it up to be
Aug 9, 2018 7:08 PM

Jun 2015
MAL forums are back up and the mods are as slow as they ever were. Just like old times.
Aug 9, 2018 7:19 PM
Jan 2018
It's hard to say, there's way too many titles that are considered overrated. Instead of arguing over what's overrated, I enjoy encouraging people to watch underrated shows, which are many times just as good or even better than the overrated ones.
Aug 9, 2018 7:25 PM
Dec 2017
Dragon ball, Toradora, Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso, Kimi No Na wa, Haikyuu, Megalo Box
Aug 9, 2018 7:36 PM

Jul 2014
This general reposti thread and OP are overrated.
Aug 9, 2018 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
Anything that's in the top 10 on the 'Popularity' list.

Duh.
Aug 9, 2018 8:05 PM

Nov 2017
OVERRATED huh? i can give you the list and my reason why i say that is OVERRATED.

- Sword Art Online : play game save the world + get harem + popularity, the main reason why this become overrated was

- One Punch Man : defeat all enemy with one blow from 3 years training (100 push up, 100 sit up, 100 squats , run 10 km per day)... you know? there are some character that doing heavier training than this bald guy and cant defeat their enemy with one punch. TO BE CLEAR... THIS IS IS SCIENCE FICTION, so if you try doing training like this IRL, You won't be able to get the results you expected (Become one punch man)
- Angel beats : i dont have the reason but i wondering and asking : WHY THIS THAT HAS DEATH ENDING BUT GOT OVERRATED?
- Toradora : just one LOLI TSUNDERE can give this boom to the 13th place of most popular on MAL
- Tokyo Ghoul : On my country, you will become psychopath only by watching this . You know... if Kiseiju parashyte got aired early, Tokyo Ghoul won't be OVERRATED.
- Boku no Hero : if every people on MAL already watch western movie that called SKY HIGH... this won't be OVERRATED
There are more OVERRATED anime , but i cant give the reason why coz i dont watch it by myself.

There are more that better than above but go UNDERRATED, but every single people had their own rate.
bondtuxAug 9, 2018 8:14 PM
Now Loading.....
Aug 9, 2018 9:15 PM

Sep 2016
Any anime that I scored 4 or lower that has a weighted score of 8.00+. The very popular ones especially so. Examples:

- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso: I was in the mood for a romance anime so I watched this. Nothing happened. No physical or verbal confession at all, not even flirting. For an anime that focuses a lot on the feelings characters have for each other, that is a major flaw. Which I can only overlook if it's not a focal point. The show wasn't really enjoyable to watch either. The plot and characters aren't bad and there is some character development, but they aren't good enough to compensate. The only thing I actually liked is the music.

- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Almost everyone praises it, but it's nothing special at all. The story doesn't even get interesting until after the time skip. A lot of the characters have little to no development so there is no reason to care about them. I felt nothing when some of them died later on. One major character gets killed way too early, which feels like a waste because he is somewhat likable. There is some backstory about his father which lasts for about one episode and is then never mentioned again afterwards. Pointless. Only the final fight against the Anti-Spiral is very good.

- Boku dake ga Inai Machi: This could've been very interesting if Satoru kept using Revival to avert disaster, but it gets thrown out of the window as soon as he gets sent to 1988 and never uses it again. It eventually turns into a generic love story. The villain is too obvious so I wasn't even surprised. And I prefer adult Satoru who doesn't appear often enough.

- Neon Genesis Evangelion & End of Evangelion: The mediocre plot, uninteresting characters and boring setting already failed to entertain me, but it's the pseudo 'deep' bullshit that occurs in the last two episodes of the TV season and the second half of the movie that really showed me what a terrible series this is. People will say that it's up to you to determine the show's meaning. But many people aren't able to form their own theories and have to resort to reading articles/listening to others' opinions, which defeats the whole purpose and for the ones that are capable, their theories will inevitably conflict with each other resulting in there being no true meaning. Some may find this beautiful, but I consider it an artistic failure.

- KonoSuba: I didn't find this funny at all. It's one of the most lackluster comedies I've seen. There is no plot at all, which is unacceptable for a Fantasy anime. No character development whatsoever. The setting isn't even remotely interesting. The characters only fight random enemies. There are only two characters I like and one of them gets killed off for no reason. It's a disaster.

- Overlord: Another Fantasy anime that lacks character development and has a boring setting. Some characters aren't relevant to the plot at all. They are tasked with defending the guild, but there is no need to when enemies wouldn't even be able to scratch them. The plot itself is mediocre. It's not as bad as KonoSuba though because this at least has some good action moments and Momonga has the best character design I've seen in anime so far.

These all have 8.00+ scores and at least 500.000 members.
Apoc_RevolutionAug 9, 2018 9:26 PM

Aug 9, 2018 9:22 PM

Oct 2015
Hrybami said:
Hunter x Hunter is becoming more and more overrated as time flies. This is getting dangerous.

No , hxh is obvs the best anime ever cause iz so unique
Gon throwing a temper tantrum and killing a villain , so ze unique
So much plot armor, unlike all ze other generic battle manga
Weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but female and not incel: :soyjackwow:
weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but male and incel: :npcangry:
Aug 9, 2018 10:15 PM

Apr 2018
Perfect blue
Bnha
Aot
Megalo box
Sao ggo alternative
Kimi no nawa
Persona 3 movie (the first one)
Black butler movie
One piece strong world movie
Any food wars season beyong the second one
High school of the elite
Dungeon ni dei
Higurashi s1
Ouran high school host club
Maid sama
Special a
fairy tail
AkerakaiAug 9, 2018 10:23 PM
Aug 9, 2018 11:21 PM
Aug 2018
Akame ga kill
Any isekai anime
One punch man
Your name
Aug 10, 2018 6:03 AM

Apr 2017
Aguuus said:
Most people confuse overrating with overpopularity, for example the poor SAO is a victim of this problem.
Nor is there overrating, only people who do not know how to qualify fairly, like me.

Is it okay if I make this quote my signature lol.

Aug 10, 2018 6:11 AM

Aug 2016
The fact that there's anyone who likes Mirai Nikki already makes it overrated to me.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Aug 10, 2018 6:23 AM

Apr 2012
Day 2 after the Forum is back and ppl already bitching about which anime is overrated and which not. ;p

Kids these days.
Aug 10, 2018 6:57 AM

Mar 2018
Underrated:

Fukigen na mononokeana - while i do think that the premise of the anime isnt the most original, this anime is beyond heartwarming and the characters are all very likable. I really think this anime should have made a bigger splash.

Arakawa under the bridge - this anime is so damn hilarious and has one of the most original crew of characters i’ve ever seen. I never saw anyone talking about it much which is a shame.

Kobato - why is this not one of the most popular anime out there?? It’s adorable and has an actual story with an actual satisfying ending and great romance.

Parasyte - while i do know that this anime was well received, it never got the appreciation it deserves. I think it should have been treated like one punch man and tokyo ghoul, and those two could never reach the greatness of parasyte in my opinion. In conclusion parasyte is amazing.

Zankyou no terror - again this one also was well reciveved but should have been hyped more and talked about more. This anime is very unique and has a special mood and atmosphere like no other.

Overrated:

Nisekoi - this one is so sickiningly overrated. Nisekoi especially makes me sad because it really had the potential to be good because i thought the story was cool but it turned into another mindless harem. The first season was literally 20 episodes of the same thing over and over and nothing at the same time.

Akatsuki no yona - everything about this was unoriginal to the extreme. However earlier i explained in fukigen na mononokean that lack of originality does not always mean bad. But in akatsuki no yona’s case, it’s bad because it never went anywhere, it was just one cliche after another. It was 24 episodes but literally nothing was concluded.

Noragami - it’s not bad, but it’s not as good as everyone makes it out to be. For me it didn’t have that element that makes you want to keep watching, and it was a bit boring. I had to force myself to finish it. Over all it’s not bad but it’s not amazing.

Tokyo ghoul - tries way too hard to be edgy. Just really too edgy that i was cringing the whole time. I plan to watch season 2 and maybe my opinion will change. We’ll see.

The list could go on for both underrated and overrated but i don’t wanna write too much.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Aug 10, 2018 7:00 AM

Mar 2018
NiQue_ said:
Day 2 after the Forum is back and ppl already bitching about which anime is overrated and which not. ;p

Kids these days.

Hahaha you really had to call us out like that. Fair point though people do love to bitch (including me)
Aug 10, 2018 6:22 PM

May 2018
Overrated

Nisekoi
Log Horizon
Tatami Galaxy
SAO
Monster
Cowboy Bebop
LoGH
Afro Samurai
Shokugeki no Soma
Sword of the Stranger
Jojo
Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Blend S
FLCL

Underrated

Perfect Blue
GiTS
Ghost Hunt
Juuni Kokuki
Aria
Papa_ScorchAug 11, 2018 7:32 PM
Aug 10, 2018 6:26 PM

Feb 2016
Gorochu said:

Underrated

Perfect Blue
GiTS
Aria

dude everyone and their mother love the hell out of those
Aug 10, 2018 6:41 PM

Apr 2018
FLCL and Steins;Gate are two of the most overrated anime for sure. FLCL is fun but it's nonsense and not the fun kind, and Stens is just really boring. It's story is really good by the end but I had to force myself to get there.

Aug 11, 2018 9:22 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
FLCL is nonsensical bullshit to me.
Aug 11, 2018 12:06 PM

Sep 2015
okayiguess said:

Tokyo ghoul - tries way too hard to be edgy. Just really too edgy that i was cringing the whole time. I plan to watch season 2 and maybe my opinion will change. We’ll see.

If you didn't particularly like S1 then you definitely will not like the second season. Even fans of the first don't tend to enjoy the second; it makes very little sense and erratically switches between anime-only new scenes and back to drawing from the manga, resulting in a story which flip-flops all over the place with very little semblance of sense at all.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Aug 11, 2018 12:20 PM

Oct 2013
Boku no hero of recent, its a super hero series, but its basically like watching power rangers, no tension at all. Nothing going on for the plot as well, the characters are ok, but most act too childish for me.

10 years ago, this series would probably be one of my favorite series. I guess thats why I don't enjoy series like flash etc.
Aug 11, 2018 12:25 PM

Mar 2015
some of the anime listed on here aren't even overrated, they're just very popular.

Aug 11, 2018 12:37 PM

Dec 2016

Overrated:
My Hero Academia, One Punch Man, Gintama, Haikyuu, Yuri on Ice and literally anything related to FMA or FMA:B
Aug 11, 2018 2:01 PM

Jun 2015
Every damn season of Gintama even though the anime becomes legit worse with every new season.
Aug 11, 2018 7:48 PM

Mar 2017
I thought Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita. was one of the better animes I've watched and was disappointed to see that it only has a middling 7.03 score.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Aug 11, 2018 8:25 PM

Mar 2016
I think Madoka Magica is very overrated. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I really don't get why people seem to absolutely lose their minds over it. I don't think I'll ever understand.
"Wonder is always difficult until you forgive whoever destroyed your love of surprises"  Edmond Manning

Aug 12, 2018 10:09 AM

Mar 2018
Maz said:
okayiguess said:

If you didn't particularly like S1 then you definitely will not like the second season. Even fans of the first don't tend to enjoy the second; it makes very little sense and erratically switches between anime-only new scenes and back to drawing from the manga, resulting in a story which flip-flops all over the place with very little semblance of sense at all.

Thanks for letting me know! That sounds really really awful. I somewhat want to watch it now even more because i’m curious about how bad it will be lol
Aug 12, 2018 10:15 AM

Jul 2013
Golden_Scarlett said:
Hrybami said:
Hunter x Hunter is becoming more and more overrated as time flies. This is getting dangerous.

What are you saying, bro? HxH is objectively the best seinen anime ever made. Such blasphemy of your part makes me mad. A pleb like you would never understand such complexity and symbolism from it.
Aug 12, 2018 5:28 PM

Oct 2015
Illyricus said:
Golden_Scarlett said:

What are you saying, bro? HxH is objectively the best seinen anime ever made. Such blasphemy of your part makes me mad. A pleb like you would never understand such complexity and symbolism from it.

ur mom is seinen anime
also wew, when tf was this thread merged with the general OR UR thread
Weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but female and not incel: :soyjackwow:
weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but male and incel: :npcangry:
Aug 12, 2018 5:58 PM

Apr 2018
I'm sure you may not have heard of this show, but Oshiete! Galko-chan is an extremely underrated show. I haven't checked through all of these pages so I'm not sure if it was mentioned already. From the last time I checked, it only has a score of 7.19, but it gives the watcher feelings of comfort and happiness, and at the same time works to defy stereotypes of the different kinds of characters found in society (ej the otaku or the gyaru girl). The art is colorful and interesting, and at the same time not too straining on the eyes. Overall, OG allows one to feel comfortable while actually learning a very important value.

However, OG is better for women than for men to watch (not trying to be sexist, it just talks about women's health a lot and I don't know if men would be comfortable watching that).
Aug 12, 2018 6:06 PM

Oct 2014
Not sure why this thread is being spammed with SAO. Who the hell overrates SAO? It gets shit on just about everywhere there's Anime discussion. In fact, most people have to deny actually liking it in fear of being ridiculed for being a normie/casual etc. SOA is a dumb, fun, and escapist series that may not be the greatest series for a seasoned anime watcher, but newcomers always love it and I know several people who have watched it as their first anime and lead them to watching many, many more.

Aug 18, 2018 4:20 AM

Oct 2015
Your Name since I'm not in the mood to horde options, so I'll just pick the one on top.

๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ซ๐”ž ๐”ฑ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ๐” ๐”ฅ ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ,
๐”š๐”ž๐”ซ๐”ฑ๐”ฆ๐”ซ' ๐”ถ๐”ฌ๐”ฒ ๐”ด๐”ฆ๐”ฑ๐”ฅ ๐”ž๐”ฉ๐”ฉ ๐”ช๐”ถ ๐”ช๐”ฆ๐”ค๐”ฅ๐”ฑ

Aug 18, 2018 4:20 AM

Jan 2016
Haikyuu, tried watching three times and every time dropped it at about the 6th episode. Boring and the art isn't that appealing, neither are the characters.
Pages (85) « First ... « 33 34 [35] 36 37 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime ops you never skip

Mattenan - 3 hours ago

14 by JaniSIr »»
1 second ago

» When did the term โ€œJapanimationโ€ started to become โ€œanimeโ€ and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

26 by GinIonSui »»
6 minutes ago

» Why do so many people hate a show because of one character?

ZeroMajor12 - May 20

31 by Rye_the_Guy »»
10 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

123 by Gashadokur0 »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you put any self-imposed restrictions onto yourself when making your favorites lists?

JKKH - Apr 13

29 by Rhae »»
26 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.