Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 1, 2017 3:05 AM

Aug 2014
Masterpieces don't come in chunks. Once someone has a great idea and greatly executes it, it's gonna be a masterpiece. But that's all gonna be subjective in the end. So there is no predicting it.
Jul 1, 2017 3:14 AM

Apr 2017
DiangeloKun18 said:
When berserk gets a new adaption like they did with HxH.

Nah Bruh, It won't happen. Unless it's continuation won't be the same cause most arcs are completely skipped.

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jul 1, 2017 3:15 AM

Jun 2015
So many "masterpieces" get overlooked for this kind of messy definition guys like OP have. Stop giving that much importance to MAL ratings when recency bias makes up for 90% of the score for some titles.
Jul 1, 2017 3:20 AM
Jun 2017
Lordwen said:
So many "masterpieces" get overlooked for this kind of messy definition guys like OP have. Stop giving that much importance to MAL ratings when recency bias makes up for 90% of the score for some titles.
Who said I was just looking at mal? Look at every anime site out there and see what the best anime are
Jul 1, 2017 3:22 AM

Oct 2014
It's coming out in 2018
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35672/Yama_no_Susume__Third_Season

On a serious note, I don't really care when the next masterpiece comes out if it's not an anime I'm going to enjoy. After all, I watch anime as a hobby, not as a critic.
Jul 1, 2017 3:24 AM

Dec 2013
As soon as I neuralyze myself and can rewatch Texhnolyze. Now where'd I put that thing...
Jul 1, 2017 3:47 AM

Apr 2014
I'd say maybe in fall 2017 with the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu remake ? Besides there are some other "masterpieces"- or good anime to discover. Considering your tastes, you may give a try to Psycho-Pass or Steins;Gate. I'm sure you'll like them.
Jul 1, 2017 3:47 AM
Jun 2017
zombie_pegasus said:
It's coming out in 2018
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35672/Yama_no_Susume__Third_Season

On a serious note, I don't really care when the next masterpiece comes out if it's not an anime I'm going to enjoy. After all, I watch anime as a hobby, not as a critic.
Aren't you at least interested though? Being witness to something like that is what I thought all people want.
Jul 1, 2017 3:48 AM
Jun 2017
Gymkata said:
As soon as I neuralyze myself and can rewatch Texhnolyze. Now where'd I put that thing...
I've never seen it. Is it any good?..
Jul 1, 2017 3:53 AM
Jun 2017
Lyleli said:
I'd say maybe in fall 2017 with the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu remake ? Besides there are some other "masterpieces"- or good anime to discover. Considering your tastes, you may give a try to Psycho-Pass or Steins;Gate. I'm sure you'll like them.
Psycho pass is on hold but it seemed good. The thing that separates FMA:B and shows like Psycho pass is the experience for EVERYONG to me. Like take FMA b, Opening song 10/10, character introduction 10/10. IMO if you don't feel some type of overwhelming excitement (like tears being brought to your eyes out of pure amazement) then a show it's a masterpiece.
Jul 1, 2017 4:04 AM

Nov 2016
Masterpiece

https://myanimelist.net/anime/30736/Shingeki_no_Bahamut__Virgin_Soul

and the next one is underway
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35788/Shokugeki_no_Souma__San_no_Sara?q=shokugeki%20

I have also high hopes for 3-gatsu season 2.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 1, 2017 4:05 AM

Jun 2015
Kuraokani said:
Lordwen said:
Who said I was just looking at mal? Look at every anime site out there and see what the best anime are
What I said for MAL applies for all of them in a slightly different measure. It's the "current anime watcher in July 2017" thing that you can't avoid by simply going to another website.
Jul 1, 2017 4:07 AM

Apr 2014
Kuraokani said:
the experience for EVERYONG to me [...] IMO if you don't feel some type of overwhelming excitement (like tears being brought to your eyes out of pure amazement) then a show it's a masterpiece.

I see. Well that's one subjective definition of a masterpiece, since not everyone would necessary feel that excitement before a specific anime. Ex : SnK, while I did loved it, I know some people who find the characters boring and stereotypical. There's no anime that would bring a consensual enjoyement for everyone, and I don't think "overwhelming excitement" defines a masterpiece neither.

Anyhow, let that debate aside, Psycho-Pass might not bring excitement indeed, but Steins;Gate would definetely
Jul 1, 2017 4:09 AM
Sep 2015
Upcoming Pluto anime will be nice. Or wait for the Steel Ball Run anime adaptation...
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Jul 1, 2017 4:11 AM

Oct 2015
There are many masterpieces around the high 7 / low 8 scores in this site tho
Jul 1, 2017 4:12 AM
Jun 2017
Lyleli said:
Kuraokani said:
the experience for EVERYONG to me [...] IMO if you don't feel some type of overwhelming excitement (like tears being brought to your eyes out of pure amazement) then a show it's a masterpiece.

I see. Well that's one subjective definition of a masterpiece, since not everyone would necessary feel that excitement before a specific anime. Ex : SnK, while I did loved it, I know some people who find the characters boring and stereotypical. There's no anime that would bring a consensual enjoyement for everyone, and I don't think "overwhelming excitement" defines a masterpiece neither.

Anyhow, let that debate aside, Psycho-Pass might not bring excitement indeed, but Steins;Gate would definetely
I definitely see what your saying but if a anime doesn't give you that feeling then what's the difference? AOT season 2 episode 7 and 12. That's when you know that the anime your watching is cut from another cloth.
Jul 1, 2017 4:13 AM
Jun 2017
Programmer69 said:
Upcoming Pluto anime will be nice. Or wait for the Steel Ball Run anime adaptation...
I see a lot of people talking about the Pluto anime but idk any info on it
Jul 1, 2017 4:17 AM
Jun 2017
Nostalgik said:
Like what? You name one masterpiece with a high seven, with no plot holes, great pacing, character development, and a good story and you earn yourself the title of adamantite adventurer
Jul 1, 2017 4:17 AM

Oct 2014
Jonouchi-Katsuya said:
Honestly, Pluto will be that Masterpiece.

But for me, A masterpiece comes every year. But a MAL masterpiece that may bring in the next era of scifi and end slice of life domination?- Pluto.

Yh Science fiction is one of the most interesting genres (alongside psychological and etc).
And if Pluto comes along with The Reboot of LOTGH (I.G better not screw it up!) And the long awaited Eva rebuild 4 then Science fiction will boom (Hopefully).

But I am Curious, what is Pluto about? Who is making it?
Jul 1, 2017 4:18 AM
Sep 2015
Kuraokani said:
Programmer69 said:

AFAIK, Pluto is Naoki Urasawa's (Author of Monster and 20th Century Boys) remake of Osamu Tezuka's astro boy. Never read it though, but urasawa works was always interesting.
Still waiting for Half-Life 3...
Jul 1, 2017 4:21 AM
Dec 2013
Depends on whether Steins;Gate 0 or One Punch Man S2 airs first.
Jul 1, 2017 4:24 AM

Oct 2015
Kuraokani said:
Nostalgik said:
Like what? You name one masterpiece with a high seven, with no plot holes, great pacing, character development, and a good story and you earn yourself the title of adamantite adventurer
That's ofc a matter of opinions, but below an 8 at the top of my head comes Serial Experiments Lain, Texnolyze ( tho I didnt watch it I do trust in certain people's opinions) and Paranoia Agent. Above an 8 you got Perfect Blue and Evangelion for example.
Jul 1, 2017 4:34 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
carpaccio said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:

fanservice is a shite term anyways

Fan service (ファンサービス? fan sābisu), fanservice, or service cut (サービスカット? sābisu katto),[1][2] is material in a work of fiction or in a fictional series which is intentionally added to please the audience.[3] The term originated in Japanese,[4][5] in the anime and manga fandom, but has been used in other languages and media. It is about "servicing" the fan[6] – giving the fans "exactly what they want."
which i find funny how most people who hate "fanservice" like other forms of it,

back to your post, (ignoring my score thing cause i copy pasted from elsewhere)
" many are just getting fed up with the harem/fanservice shows that come out every season. "
this implies that many harem/fanservice shows must come out, unless somehow someone can get sick of again 1/2 harem/fanservice shows that come out, in which case that is no one's fault but their own,
i proved that no, those people are idiots, who somehow think that 3-5 harem/fanservice (man this term really shouldnt be use with harem) is not alot.

no, it doesn't imply that many must come out, just enough for it to gather enough attention for a good number of people to complain. whose fault it is isn't the subject of discussion here.

Yes it very much is. When we're discussing people's reactions to something, in this case being "people sick of the constant Harem/Ecchi" and demanding new masterpieces and the like, and people go out of their way to point out that these shows are often few in number and hardly invading and controlling the entire medium, then calling out that mindset and reaction is very much discussing who's fault lies where. It's at the root of why people interpret it as something that cannot coincide with a "masterpiece" because they're demanding originality as a standard of quality in of itself as a result of the perception that these shows are "taking anime over" or whatever dumb shit like that they like to spew. They think it has to be different than the majority and breaking the mold without even entertaining the idea that H/E is already different from the majority as is, because somehow - in a way that's completely incomprehensible to me, mind you - they convinced themselves that these 1 or 2 - or 3 or 4 if it's a lucky season - per season are, in fact, the majority. When they are most 100%, undeniably not the majority if they would take a look at simple numbers. That much isn't even up for argument.

And in this case, the fault would definitely lie with those few who exaggerate the prevalence of H/E, which is widespread enough that there are people who actually believe it unironically, in a way comparable to flat earthers from my point of view. If they can't handle one or two things per season being made that belongs to those genres, and must respond by painting the situation as if these types of shows are practically all that's being pumped out, then it very much just becomes a "them" issue whenever that blatant bullshit is put on display by simply looking at the seasonal listings archived on this very site. The call for less H/E and more masterpieces or whatever doesn't even coincide and these shows can exist alongside philosophical, existential, rocket-science based shit per season, H/E specifically is not preventing stuff like that from being made or at least no more than any other genres - and ultimately they'd still both pull two different audiences for the most part. It's a weak attempt at trying to intellectually justify putting down and calling for less of a type of show they dislike while trying to put something they like on a pedestal. No more, no less.

When some people claim something and then it's outed as obviously false on numerous occassions and yet they keep on with their hyperbolic and outright ignorant rhetoric, then goddamn right it becomes a discussion over the fault lying with them because it's been proven time and time again that no matter how many examples you pull, no matter how little they can defend their blatantly incorrect perspective - and this isn't a matter of interpretation, the idea that H/E is even anywhere close to the majority of anime being made these days is 100% incorrect from a numerical standpoint and it shouldn't even be entertained as being anything except incorrect - then it's entirely an issue of the fault lying with them. They won't listen, they'll plug their ears and close their eyes to evidence and examples and everything that goes against their fearmongering narrative of H/E taking over the medium, and they'll continue spouting their asinine, ill-informed rhetoric as if it were fact.

The reality is probably that one or two or so shows a season of something they might not like is probably too much for them and so they have to blow it out of proportion to compensate, since those one or two shows not targeted at their audience could probably just go to being something they would've wanted to watch instead, which is ridiculous.

But yes. The discussion did turn over to who's fault it was since that narrative lies at the core of the discussion and that narrative is basically built upon fault and ignoring information that's right in front of their eyes. Thus, the fault lies with people who push that stupid, factually incorrect narrative that H/E is overrunning the medium, as if it's within the realm of reason and not outright removed from the reality they seem to determined to blind themselves too.

On a personal note, I really have a visceral hatred for that narrative at this point. I don't know if I made that clear.
ManabanJul 1, 2017 4:44 AM

Jul 1, 2017 4:39 AM

Jul 2015
Kuraokani said:
Nostalgik said:

You're implying the quality of things like character development or pacing can be objectively measured.
Jul 1, 2017 4:41 AM

Oct 2014
Programmer69 said:
Kuraokani said:

AFAIK, Pluto is Naoki Urasawa's (Author of Monster and 20th Century Boys) remake of Osamu Tezuka's astro boy. Never read it though, but urasawa works was always interesting.

I just did some digging and It is not exactly a rework.
It is a different kind of Astro boy. Pluto is more of a Murder Mystery Seinen in the universe of Astro Boy.
Jul 1, 2017 4:42 AM

Oct 2015
Manaban said:
carpaccio said:

no, it doesn't imply that many must come out, just enough for it to gather enough attention for a good number of people to complain. whose fault it is isn't the subject of discussion here.

Yes it very much is. When we're discussing people's reactions to something, in this case being "people sick of the constant Harem/Ecchi" and demanding new masterpieces and the like, and people go out of their way to point out that these shows are often few in number and hardly invading and controlling the entire medium, then calling out that mindset and reaction is very much discussing who's fault lies where. It's at the root of why people interpret it as something that cannot coincide with a "masterpiece" because they're demanding originality as a standard of quality in of itself as a result of the perception that these shows are "taking anime over" or whatever dumb shit like that they like to spew. They think it has to be different than the majority and breaking the mold without even entertaining the idea that H/E is already different from the majority as is, because somehow - in a way that's completely incomprehensible to me, mind you - they convinced themselves that these 1 or 2 - or 3 or 4 if it's a lucky season - per season are, in fact, the majority. When they are most 100%, undeniably not the majority if they would take a look at simple numbers. That much isn't even up for argument.

And in this case, the fault would definitely lie with those few who exaggerate the prevalence of H/E, which is widespread enough that there are people who actually believe it unironically, in a way comparable to flat earthers from my point of view. If they can't handle one or two things per season being made that belongs to those genres, and must respond by painting the situation as if these types of shows are practically all that's being pumped out, then it very much just becomes a "them" issue whenever that blatant bullshit is put on display by simply looking at the seasonal listings archived on this very site. The call for less H/E and more masterpieces or whatever doesn't even coincide and these shows can exist alongside philosophical, existential, rocket-science based shit per season, H/E specifically is not preventing stuff like that from being made or at least no more than any other genres - and ultimately they'd still both pull two different audiences for the most part. It's a weak attempt at trying to intellectually justify putting down and calling for less of a type of show they dislike while trying to put something they like on a pedestal. No more, no less.

When some people claim something and then it's outed as obviously false on numerous occassions and yet they keep on with their hyperbolic and outright ignorant rhetoric, then goddamn right it becomes a discussion over the fault lying with them because it's been proven time and time again that no matter how many examples you pull, no matter how little they can defend their blatantly incorrect - and this isn't a matter of interpretation, the idea that H/E is even anywhere close to the majority of anime being made these days is 100% incorrect from a numerical standpoint and it shouldn't even be entertained as being anything except incorrect - then it's entirely an issue of the fault lying with them. They won't listen, they'll plug their ears and close their eyes to evidence and examples and everything that goes against their fearmongering narrative of H/E taking over the medium, and they'll continue spouting their asinine, ill-informed rhetoric as if it were fact.

The reality is probably that one or two or so shows a season of something they might not like is probably too much for them and so they have to blow it out of proportion to compensate, since those one or two shows not targeted at their audience could probably just go to being something they would've wanted to watch instead, which is ridiculous.

But yes. The discussion did turn over to who's fault it was and the fault lies with people who push that stupid, factually incorrect narrative that H/E is overrunning the medium, as if it's within the realm of reason and not outright removed from the reality they seem to determined to blind themselves too.

On a personal note, I really have a visceral hatred for that narrative at this point. I don't know if I made that clear.

thx for helping me m8 but no idea wtf is taht 1st paragraph ._.
Weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but female and not incel: :soyjackwow:
weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but male and incel: :npcangry:
Jul 1, 2017 4:45 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Manaban said:

When some people claim something and then it's outed as obviously false on numerous occassions and yet they keep on with their hyperbolic and outright ignorant rhetoric, then goddamn right it becomes a discussion over the fault lying with them because it's been proven time and time again that no matter how many examples you pull, no matter how little they can defend their blatantly incorrect - and this isn't a matter of interpretation, the idea that H/E is even anywhere close to the majority of anime being made these days is 100% incorrect from a numerical standpoint and it shouldn't even be entertained as being anything except incorrect - then it's entirely an issue of the fault lying with them. They won't listen, they'll plug their ears and close their eyes to evidence and examples and everything that goes against their fearmongering narrative of H/E taking over the medium, and they'll continue spouting their asinine, ill-informed rhetoric as if it were fact.

But yes. The discussion did turn over to who's fault it was and the fault lies with people who push that stupid, factually incorrect narrative that H/E is overrunning the medium, as if it's within the realm of reason and not outright removed from the reality they seem to determined to blind themselves too.

thx for helping me m8 but no idea wtf is taht 1st paragraph ._.

I don't know what I'm saying either most of the time so you're not alone

That post was written with the blatant ulterior motive of just trying to attack that idea that H/E is a dominating fixture in current anime anyway and I just used that discussion as a springboard to call it under attack so it wouldn't just be an off-topic rant, connecting it to the topic at hand and all since earlier discussions from this thread that took place while I was asleep gave me a casus belli to do so

I mean I would be very happy if it was the dominant force but sadly it is not

I'm mostly worried that the guy I quoted is going to take it like I was attacking him and saying that about him specifically though, when I don't even have the impression he thinks that really lol
ManabanJul 1, 2017 4:56 AM

Jul 1, 2017 4:48 AM

Jan 2014
lets just hope that pluto will beat these piece of overrated crap like your name.
whether something is a masterpiece depends on the individual not the popularity.

and who says that MALs top anime decides whats a masterpiece? shouldnt u rather be interested in what animes have become legendary? death not is one of them, kimi no nawa will be forgotten shit.
guulaashJul 1, 2017 4:53 AM
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jul 1, 2017 4:48 AM

Jun 2014
PriPara is a masterpiece.

Come on people!
Jul 1, 2017 4:49 AM

Mar 2016
The only anime I consider to be a masterpiece is Monster. I doubt there will be a series like it.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Jul 1, 2017 4:56 AM

Jan 2014
YaoiMaster said:
The only anime I consider to be a masterpiece is Monster. I doubt there will be a series like it.
oh shit its you again XD, we will see when pluto gets adapted
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jul 1, 2017 4:56 AM

Jul 2015
YaoiMaster said:

Apparently, there's an upcoming adaptation of Pluto. I find it more interesting than Monster, and I know many others did.
Jul 1, 2017 4:58 AM

Mar 2016
Clebardman said:
YaoiMaster said:

Apparently, there's an upcoming adaptation of Pluto. I find it more interesting than Monster, and I know many others did.
Oh, I have not heard of it. I'll definitely watch it.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Jul 1, 2017 4:59 AM
Jun 2017
Clebardman said:
Kuraokani said:

You're implying the quality of things like character development or pacing can be objectively measured.
It can me measured in a sense. What you just said makes no sense to me
Jul 1, 2017 5:05 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Kuraokani said:
Clebardman said:

Individual interpretation is pretty dominant in these factors, and that interpretation can extend into other areas as well, like how they work with other elements of the show. Basically, a lot of standards people treat as objective are really just their (or really probably somebody else's) interpretations of how well a certain aspect of something works in that case/all cases and the opposite can be argued and argued well many times if the thought and effort is put into it, making stuff like this near-impossible to assess at a factual level and not a more individual level.

People who can explain their thoughts well and can express themselves well make the world of difference because their interpretations are usually good in the sense that they're usually pretty well thought out by nature, and when their ideas are already being laid out before others, there are people who can choose to reiterate that idea and thus take it on as their own stance in the process. It doesn't change that it's still just an interpretation, though, as thorough and grounded as it may or may not be.
ManabanJul 1, 2017 5:13 AM

Jul 1, 2017 5:21 AM

Aug 2013
I'd say the upcoming anime adaptation of Pluto.

Lyleli said:
I'd say maybe in fall 2017 with the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu remake ?

There is no way in hell the remake will be satisfactory. I'll watch it, but I don't have any hope.
Jul 1, 2017 5:29 AM

Oct 2014
Kuraokani said:
Light- said:
your title: "When will we get another masterpiece" makes one assume that the following shows you are discussing are ones you consider masterpieces. It would also take an ignorant person to deny that.

Also did you even read what I posted? I can deny the claim that they are near masterpieces too because there are plenty of reasons like I mentioned above for people to rate these shows so highly.
Should've put "near" in the title for people like you I guess. You seem to be the only one who didn't get the direction of the post.

Oh sorry, I didn't know that the score of 10 which you gave to Death Note doesn't actually mean it's a masterpiece to YOU like the definition of the score on MAL describes it to be. Got it, a 10 is a "near masterpiece" and an 11 is a masterpiece!

OP, you said almost everyone considers the shows near masterpieces (because they are rated 8 or low 9 on MAL, a near masterpiece score), you never said you yourself consider them a near masterpiece. Based on your ratings & the way you worded this thread, I & many others in this thread can only assume you consider these shows masterpieces.

What YOU think. That's what I'm trying to get at (after all those yous, I would have thought you'd get it by now). And don't tell me you don't consider these shows masterpieces because if you didn't, either you wouldn't rate them a 10 or your definition of a masterpiece (being flawless) is wrong and also you wouldn't have said when will we get ANOTHER masterpiece in your title.

Kuraokani said:
Lordwen said:

https://myanimelist.net/news/50582644

"best anime" is subjective.
Light-Jul 1, 2017 5:35 AM
Jul 1, 2017 5:33 AM

Aug 2008
In Japan, Tiger and Bunny is considered as masterpiece. It's a 2011 anime and poll was conducted in early 2017. No 'recency bias' here.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/05/04/best-anime-100-results-revealed-for-nhks-nippon-anime-100
ZapredonJul 1, 2017 5:38 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jul 1, 2017 5:33 AM

Mar 2017
when Baccano! got a sequel, IMO

or when Fate/Strange Fake gets animated

well, everyone has different opinion on what they call "Masterpiece"
Jul 1, 2017 5:34 AM

Dec 2015
When we can make a great Berserk adaptation
Jul 1, 2017 5:35 AM
Jun 2017
Manaban said:
Kuraokani said:

Individual interpretation is pretty dominant in these factors, and that interpretation can extend into other areas as well, like how they work with other elements of the show. Basically, a lot of standards people treat as objective are really just their (or really probably somebody else's) interpretations of how well a certain aspect of something works in that case/all cases and the opposite can be argued and argued well many times if the thought and effort is put into it, making stuff like this near-impossible to assess at a factual level and not a more individual level.

People who can explain their thoughts well and can express themselves well make the world of difference because their interpretations are usually good in the sense that they're usually pretty well thought out by nature, and when their ideas are already being laid out before others, there are people who can choose to reiterate that idea and thus take it on as their own stance in the process. It doesn't change that it's still just an interpretation, though, as thorough and grounded as it may or may not be.
Where does any of that come in when discussing how character development is measured in terms of good or bad? If what you said is referring to the process of character development (where your argument would still be wonky) then you may be right. As far as expression between people goes, one can never fully express the way they are feeling or their emotions. I think your overestimating human comprehension. If what you said could happen then I doubt there would be war or strife.

Look at me getting way off topic. Sorry about that but philosophy isn't my strong suit.
Jul 1, 2017 5:40 AM

Feb 2012
Two of those are masterpieces of manga, not anime, because they're considered the magnum opus of their artist. That only leaves Kimi no Nawa, which might actually be Shinkai Makoto's masterpiece, but I don't have any intentions of watching it, so I'm not going to swear on it.

Masterpiece is simply the most well received work of a "master", generally a person who has made a name for themselves.
Jul 1, 2017 5:43 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Kuraokani said:
Where does any of that come in when discussing how character development is measured in terms of good or bad?

...I'm being honest when I say I'm not trying to be rude, man, but am I misreading this? Or are you really asking me right now where does interpreting the quality of something play a role in discussing the quality of something? .-.

I mean, that's what I was talking about, and if anything it's pretty much the catalyst that drives discussion forward. Two people have different viewpoints and interpretations regarding the quality of an aspect of a work or a work itself and they talk about their viewpoints and try to expand on their thoughts and ideas to better explain why they think their viewpoint is correct. A better understanding of a differing viewpoint can be reached, somebody could take on a new view of something, or, most likely, it'll just be a pointless slap fight with no real gain coming from it.

Kuraokani said:
If what you said is referring to the process of character development (where your argument would still be wonky) then you may be right. As far as expression between people goes, one can never fully express the way they are feeling or their emotions. I think your overestimating human comprehension. If what you said could happen then I doubt there would be war or strife.

Emotions can be comprehended, albeit it's probably more difficult to make a good emotion-based argument than it is a good reason based argument, from my experience as somebody who tries both approaches to discussion regularly. When they're comprehended they can be explained, though, if one wishes to. There's usually less room for discussion in that aspect, though, so if I'm wanting to hear out somebody else I won't approach that standpoint, and it's easier to fall off of a cliff without a good amount of self-control since they're usually more personal by nature. Good reason-based arguments are much easier to make than good emotion-based arguments.

Of course not everybody is going to comprehend their own feelings perfectly, but it doesn't mean it can't be approached and that an effort cannot be made to understand these feelings better through a series of asking one's self questions such as "Why do I feel this way?" "What happened to make me feel this way?" so on and so forth. As you say I'm overestimating the capacity of human self-understanding, I get the impression that you're vastly underestimating it and painting it as something more complex than it really is.
ManabanJul 1, 2017 5:55 AM

Jul 1, 2017 5:43 AM
Jun 2017
Light- said:
Kuraokani said:
Should've put "near" in the title for people like you I guess. You seem to be the only one who didn't get the direction of the post.

Oh sorry, I didn't know that the score of 10 which you gave to Death Note doesn't actually mean it's a masterpiece to YOU like the definition of the score on MAL describes it to be. Got it, a 10 is a "near masterpiece" and an 11 is a masterpiece!

OP, you said almost everyone considers the shows near masterpieces (because they are rated 8 or low 9 on MAL, a near masterpiece score), you never said you yourself consider them a near masterpiece. Based on your ratings & the way you worded this thread, I & many others in this thread can only assume you consider these shows masterpieces.

What YOU think. That's what I'm trying to get at (after all those yous, I would have thought you'd get it by now). And don't tell me you don't consider these shows masterpieces because if you didn't, either you wouldn't rate them a 10 or your definition of a masterpiece (being flawless) is wrong and also you wouldn't have said when will we get ANOTHER masterpiece in your title.

Kuraokani said:

I hate to tell you but I rate shows as a consumer not a critic. When I rate a show it's from MY enjoyment. For instance, I give Overlord a 10/10 but I know that it's no where near a masterpiece. On that note, I can also dislike a show but still acknowledge that it's well above what I like in terms of story, character development, art, and anything else.

My point is, don't look at MY list then question my ability to acknowledge shows for what they are.

P.S you not having the ability to have a sound argument without getting offensive and smart only shows just how immature you are.
Jul 1, 2017 5:46 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Kuraokani said:
Because that's what humans strive for. subconsciously we all want something that exceeds our expectations

yea sure ofc, but it doesn't mean you automatically have to a agree than an "acclaimed" anime is a masterpiece

Jonouchi-Katsuya said:

I feel much the same way. But, I wont lie, I am waiting for Pluto to come and usher in the next phase: Sci-Fi resurgence. Maybe I will get that gay space anime I been wanting.

.. LOL, well i'd be lying if i said i'm not waiting for another Keijo like anime.. however, im not sitting here thinking how "boring" i think most anime are, because i don't think that

its not like i thought Keijo shit on other forms of fanservice, i just really loved the originality, and do think we need way more mixing up like that

Clebardman said:

Elitist circlejerk thread? It's a thread about the three most popular, overpraised and consensual shows ever, and you call this a circlejerk thread? Holy shit, you don't need much.

LMAO, i was actually wondering where you ran off too

OP is asking peoples opinions on what they think the next masterpiece anime is going to be... this is a chance for the elitists to claim that most anime now is trash and they need their next drug fix, so yea, i stand by my statement. i never said everyone in this thread is going to be an elitist.. im just saying that its the kind of thread that gives them a chance to circlejerk
Jul 1, 2017 5:47 AM

Apr 2016
No. I don't see any anime coming out anytime soon that's going to take down Keijo from the top spot.
Man, I have to stop falling in love with fictitious high school girls'...moms!
Jul 1, 2017 5:55 AM

Oct 2015
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu only just ended 3 months ago... Don't get too greedy OP.
Jul 1, 2017 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
You see it heavily depends on what we consider a masterpiece. A piece of work of a certain director for one, for example some people would consider Perfect Blue to be Satoshi Kon's masterpiece and best work (I personally prefer Millennium Actress ) but w/e. Another type of masterpiece is a personal one, something that really spoke to someone and that they cherish deeply, we would simply call it personal favorite for the most part but it can be considered a masterpiece of a sort.

Another type of masterpiece is the one most commonly agreed to. This one is hard to determine since not everyone judges things the same way, for one. The ratings on MAL or any other website. A lot of people see them differently and even if we get some sort of general idea or assign words/sentences to each rating, every person is gonna interpret them differently. Another type of masterpiece would be a critically acclaimed one. But this causes the same issue that a general one would and besides most of "critics" have such massive egos they would never come to an agreement as to a WAY/MEASURE how to choose one, let alone actually choosing it.

Keijo

Keijo Exists.

We cannot get any better than that, anime can die now. We will never get another masterpiece like this.
Jul 1, 2017 6:08 AM
Jun 2017
Darek said:
You see it heavily depends on what we consider a masterpiece. A piece of work of a certain director for one, for example some people would consider Perfect Blue to be Satoshi Kon's masterpiece and best work (I personally prefer Millennium Actress ) but w/e. Another type of masterpiece is a personal one, something that really spoke to someone and that they cherish deeply, we would simply call it personal favorite for the most part but it can be considered a masterpiece of a sort.

Another type of masterpiece is the one most commonly agreed to. This one is hard to determine since not everyone judges things the same way, for one. The ratings on MAL or any other website. A lot of people see them differently and even if we get some sort of general idea or assign words/sentences to each rating, every person is gonna interpret them differently. Another type of masterpiece would be a critically acclaimed one. But this causes the same issue that a general one would and besides most of "critics" have such massive egos they would never come to an agreement as to a WAY/MEASURE how to choose one, let alone actually choosing it.

Keijo

Keijo Exists.

We cannot get any better than that, anime can die now. We will never get another masterpiece like this.
Even though I've never seen it, I believe you 😂
Jul 1, 2017 6:52 AM

Oct 2014
Kuraokani said:
Light- said:

I hate to tell you but I rate shows as a consumer not a critic. When I rate a show it's from MY enjoyment. For instance, I give Overlord a 10/10 but I know that it's no where near a masterpiece. On that note, I can also dislike a show but still acknowledge that it's well above what I like in terms of story, character development, art, and anything else.

My point is, don't look at MY list then question my ability to acknowledge shows for what they are.

P.S you not having the ability to have a sound argument without getting offensive and smart only shows just how immature you are.

Couldn't the same logic then apply to the MAL ratings and community? Many people rate based on enjoyment just like you, (in fact most people around here do, just look at all the rating threads) so why do you then say that a show that surpasses FMA:B's 9.25 on MAL would have to be considered a masterpiece, when the majoirity of the community may just rate it based on enjoyment? In fact, why should we even care about MAL ratings or any other websites when everything is subjective? For example, deathnote isn't even in the top 100 ratings in Japan (my link earlier), when it's one of 'top' shows on MAL. Meanwhile Love Live is and it is rated a measly 7.7 here. Also, a show like Shinsekai yori is not in the top 100 on MAL, but is one I and many others consider a masterpiece.

However, I guess if we're just talking shows that could top FMA:B in rating, I feel that a good Berserk adaptation would have the best chance of doing so.

By the way, you talk about immaturity when your second reply only comes off as passive aggressive (if you didn't mean it to be, I'm sorry) and you've also been calling people's opinions dumb in this thread.

Light-Jul 1, 2017 7:36 AM
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - May 19

77 by DigiCat »»
50 seconds ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

98 by Gashadokur0 »»
1 minute ago

» Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

Semester1 - 60 minutes ago

5 by Semester1 »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you think anime has ever negatively impacted someone's life?

removed-user - May 10

29 by Bruh69XD »»
14 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - May 9

71 by Bruh69XD »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.