Forum Settings
Forums

Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

New
May 23, 12:15 AM
Aug 2022
For me, it would be steins gate and jujutsu kaisen. Steins gate was really slow and boring. I watched the entire anime because people keep saying it gets better after a certain episode but it was really underwhelming. It did not tingle my dopamine receptors like for example death note did. The plot twists and climax got me like, "is this it? is this supposed to be entertaining and profound?"

And jujutsu kaisen is just fighting every episode without any substance
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 23, 12:49 AM

Jun 2016
Semester1 said:
jujutsu kaisen

Yeah I don't see what makes it so much better (according to mal stats) than all the other popular wsj adaptations.
I don't think it's weird that it's so popular though as Naruto and Dragon Ball were everywhere when I was groing up.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 23, 12:54 AM

Mar 2023
I will never understand what's the big deal with Attack on Titan, Frieren and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
May 23, 12:59 AM

Aug 2018
I don't get the hype for Toradora! Taiga is the worst girl ever, and Ami Kawashima is obviously the best girl.
May 23, 1:02 AM

Nov 2020
For me, it would be That time I got reincarnated as a slime. It's not about it being slow and boring(all SOL anime are) it's the lack of interesting characters and character development. All characters without exception are just cardboard cutouts whether it is the benevolent OP protagonist or his allies who are always fawning over him or the cartoonishly evil villains. Even the "fights" are just one-sided beatdowns with no stakes at all. Even when it felt like there were some stakes or consequences in season 2 it was immediately retconned to be "Yeah it was nothing it never mattered lol". Honestly, after listening to all of the hype I thought it would have something going for but it turned out to be just another garbage isekai with the same reused plot and characters, there is no substance, no creativity just a cash grab for the producers who know that the target audience is so stupid it won't question anything and just lick it clean like a hungry dog. Hell, even the songs are uninspired and boring.

And before any of this "target audience" says that the world-building, politics, etc. are good IT'S NOT. If you believe that you seriously need to watch some good political dramas then you would realize the actual meaning of these terms.
May 23, 1:07 AM
Aug 2022
Reply to Spunkert
I will never understand what's the big deal with Attack on Titan, Frieren and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
@Spunkert What did you not like about frieren? i personally cannot watch slow paced shows but frieren got me hooked from the first episode. Its really immersive and while watching, it feels like we are on a journey as well alongside frieren. In my opinion, its worthy of being #1 on mal, as long as we get new seasons with high production value by madhouse
May 23, 1:17 AM

Nov 2023
Spy x Family
- Its an all right comedy but I swear what the hell is up with the scoring, Apparently the development of this is some failing mangaka suddenly getting a cheat skill or something

Attack on Titan
- Im not sure what they ment by this being good or even scary because its just cardboard cutouts running around screaming with edgy stuff, sure it has intresting concept and good animation but all else is bad

Solo Leveling
-Its generic and bad, thats all i have to say
May 23, 1:22 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to Semester1
@Spunkert What did you not like about frieren? i personally cannot watch slow paced shows but frieren got me hooked from the first episode. Its really immersive and while watching, it feels like we are on a journey as well alongside frieren. In my opinion, its worthy of being #1 on mal, as long as we get new seasons with high production value by madhouse
@Semester1

It bored me to tears and i will never understand why it's different than the other slow paced shows.
May 23, 1:38 AM

Feb 2024
Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer, Fullmetal Alchemist are among worst "popular" shows I ever watched. I guess I'm simply not their target audience, but still I can't understand that hype. I wouldn't enjoy anything like that even at the age of 10.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 23, 1:44 AM
Aug 2022
Reply to LoveYourSmile
Attack on Titan, Demon Slayer, Fullmetal Alchemist are among worst "popular" shows I ever watched. I guess I'm simply not their target audience, but still I can't understand that hype. I wouldn't enjoy anything like that even at the age of 10.
@LoveYourSmile This is the first time i have seen someone hate or not enjoy fmab. It may have a cringe, annoying humour but i feel like the reason its so highly acclaimed is because it does everything well-from plot, characters, world building, pacing, animation etc. It is not the best at anything but great at everything if that makes sense. Its also kinda rare for a shonen anime to stick or land a great ending like fmab
May 23, 2:10 AM
Oct 2017
Reply to Spunkert
@Spunkert Watch Attack on Titan. If you don't get why its so good, watch it again. Still don't get it watch it again.

And nobody even think of using the mainstream bs on me, I've been watching it since episode 1 aired. We need to stop hating on stuff just cause it got popular. (Not saying you do this, my bad).

No, but seriously, give AOT another try you might just not have enjoyed it the first time but a new time/ perspective helps enjoy different things.
May 23, 2:12 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Semester1
@LoveYourSmile This is the first time i have seen someone hate or not enjoy fmab. It may have a cringe, annoying humour but i feel like the reason its so highly acclaimed is because it does everything well-from plot, characters, world building, pacing, animation etc. It is not the best at anything but great at everything if that makes sense. Its also kinda rare for a shonen anime to stick or land a great ending like fmab
@Semester1 A man has his preferences, that's all I can say. I have only watched Brotherhood though, not the "classic" version. I would actually drop it if I didn't watch it with my kid who really enjoyed it for whatever reason, same as for other shows I mentioned above.
May 23, 2:31 AM
May 2021
JJK S1: while I can understand the hype for Season 2, I still find myself puzzled by the overwhelming hype surrounding Season 1.

Jojo: As for Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, I recognize its unique style, but I remain uncertain about the reasons behind its widespread acclaim and hype.

Demon Slayer: while its animation is wildly praised, I find that aspect alone insufficient for me to grasp the enthusiasm surrounding the series. Additionally, I've noticed that most ufotable anime tend to make me feel sleepy except for Fate/zero.
May 23, 2:35 AM

Jul 2021
jjk for me too. season 1 was good. watched it twice, had a lot of fun. season 2 was boring trash with so many deaths which had no impact, couldn't care much about most deaths. the fights were lame and didn't like the new animation style much either. pacing was terrible and boring. idk why its so hyped, it below average at best and a huge downfall after season 1 which i really liked.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 23, 3:11 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to MysticBatl
@Spunkert Watch Attack on Titan. If you don't get why its so good, watch it again. Still don't get it watch it again.

And nobody even think of using the mainstream bs on me, I've been watching it since episode 1 aired. We need to stop hating on stuff just cause it got popular. (Not saying you do this, my bad).

No, but seriously, give AOT another try you might just not have enjoyed it the first time but a new time/ perspective helps enjoy different things.
@MysticBatl

I watched all of season 1 and found it tiresome. I have no interest in re-watching or watch the rest of it. Plus there is 94 episodes of it anyway and i for the moment have no time or will to watch long shows like that anymore.
May 23, 3:34 AM
May 2021
@Spunkert @Ratris_Decision @LoveYourSmile

Attack on Titan is known for its fantastic storytelling. If you haven't watched until Season 3 Part 2, you won't fully understand the hype. It's common not to understand it initially; I didn't either. Despite enjoying the edgy action, animation, and dark atmosphere of earlier seasons, these aspects alone didn't clarify why it was considered one of the best anime by many fans. It wasn't until I experienced Season 3 Part 2 that my entire perspective on the show changed.
May 23, 3:35 AM
Oct 2017
Reply to Spunkert
@MysticBatl

I watched all of season 1 and found it tiresome. I have no interest in re-watching or watch the rest of it. Plus there is 94 episodes of it anyway and i for the moment have no time or will to watch long shows like that anymore.
@Spunkert Respectable then, good luck in whatever real life endeavors you are doing.

Although I must say, please reconsider if you ever have some time for it. I'd even say it's most enjoyable to watch slowly in parts rather than binge.

Good day.
May 23, 4:04 AM
Oct 2023
I also felt Steins gate, it is becoz I have seen Intersteller, Inception and importantly Tenet, which is similar to steins gate so i didn't get much hyped part, for someone who hasn't watched these movies, Steins gate would be very good anime, just hole for 7 eps of starting and follow the watch order...
May 23, 4:21 AM

May 2018
"Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?"

Being hyped for something is irrational by definition...no point of trying to understand it case by case. It's a simple combination of having high expectations, confirmation bias and herd behavior.
alshuMay 23, 4:24 AM
May 23, 4:27 AM

May 2021
Solo levelling. Boring. Its supposed to be a shounen but still, it lacks substance. Has no depth. And the villains are just boring.
May 23, 4:43 AM

Sep 2018
None. I don't mean that I like every popular and/or highly acclaimed anime, I just understand what makes people like them so much and respectfully disagree.

AryaVai said:
Attack on Titan is known for its fantastic storytelling. If you haven't watched until Season 3 Part 2, you won't fully understand the hype.

For example, I'm not impressed by the most memorable moment of AoT s3 pt2 because I know that a commander sacrificing himself and his unit for a greater goal is literally everyday occurence on the battlefield. I do however understand that for most people it might be the first time seeing something like that in a work of fiction (especially considering its target audience, shounen).
May 23, 4:59 AM

Sep 2016
I can understand every hype, even if I dislike the show.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 23, 5:04 AM
Apr 2024
Ghost in the shell, a very good movie but not as great as people say,even though the directing is insane and at least half of the images are memorable I've found the story more trying to make the viewer think about questions more than explore them, so people who are already interested in those questions and think about them won't find anything new in my opinion.
Still would recommend but I don't think it's a masterpiece
May 23, 5:37 AM

Oct 2018
Most of the hyped shows.

Right now the one that puzzles me the most is the Shibuya Acident arc. I was really expecting something completely different, but all I got was some random fights
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
May 23, 5:40 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
Jobless Reincarnation...it sucks esp the characters
i wish you love
May 23, 6:00 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@LoveYourSmile
Two of those three anime share a director. It could be that you have a problem with the director, who I also dislike.
その目だれの目?
May 23, 6:05 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to AryaVai
@Spunkert @Ratris_Decision @LoveYourSmile

Attack on Titan is known for its fantastic storytelling. If you haven't watched until Season 3 Part 2, you won't fully understand the hype. It's common not to understand it initially; I didn't either. Despite enjoying the edgy action, animation, and dark atmosphere of earlier seasons, these aspects alone didn't clarify why it was considered one of the best anime by many fans. It wasn't until I experienced Season 3 Part 2 that my entire perspective on the show changed.
AryaVai said:
If you haven't watched until Season 3 Part 2, you won't fully understand the hype.

Cut out that revisionist history. Viewers began hyping Attack on Titan from the very 1st season.
その目だれの目?
May 23, 6:08 AM

Jan 2009
maybe gintama because there is so much on the rankings
May 23, 6:09 AM

Feb 2020
Too many to mention, but let's say Gintama.
May 23, 6:50 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Lucifrost
@LoveYourSmile
Two of those three anime share a director. It could be that you have a problem with the director, who I also dislike.
@Lucifrost That might be, I'm not deep enough into anime yet to check for directors and stuff. I simply thought that "battle shonen" might be not my genre. At least neither of top 20 hooked me with a trailer/teaser.
If you have an example of a really good one, and not similar to those - please share, I'll give it a try.
May 23, 7:00 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@Lucifrost That might be, I'm not deep enough into anime yet to check for directors and stuff. I simply thought that "battle shonen" might be not my genre. At least neither of top 20 hooked me with a trailer/teaser.
If you have an example of a really good one, and not similar to those - please share, I'll give it a try.
@LoveYourSmile
Death Note, a battle shounen? I feel like you're moving the goalposts. :/
Battle shounen is most definitely not my genre, but I love Magi which I consider battle shounen.
その目だれの目?
May 23, 7:19 AM

Jun 2014
I agree with you aboht Jujutsu Kaisen. I don't think it's bad, it's just another generic battle shounen.
May 23, 8:14 AM

Jun 2011
Genuinely, Mushoku Tensei. Bad characters, terrible drama writing, the story is boring, the one saving grace is the animation.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 23, 10:09 AM

Jan 2023
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Hunter x Hunter.
Two flat anime, without character development and boring.
May 23, 10:20 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@LoveYourSmile

Demon Slayer is 90% its animation and art style. Ufotable is a very popular studio. That being said, in defense of Demon Slayer, I do think a small part of it is that Tanjiro is an empathetic protagonist who still kills his opponents. This is personally my reason, as I found too many series to be incredibly cynical, and I personally hate cynicism being elevated to wisdom in my media, be it through asshole protagonists or 4th wall reference humor.

Rick and Morty, for one.
May 23, 10:59 AM
Jan 2018
It would be Tokyo Revengers, but it seems like everyone else figured out that anime isn't worth your time.

All these high school cute girl animes being hyped is the wildest thing.

Frieren has chops, so I'm gonna get around to watching it. But

Oshi no Ko- idol culture. FOH. Go do your googles on what idol culture in japan really is.

Bocchi the Rock- I don't care about high school girls or rock music. Is that really all it takes for an anime to hype you up?

Komi communicate- I don't care enough to spell the name or watch the anime.

You can just place here any other anime with a lame premise that a bunch of people decided to get excited about.

As far as defense

JJK S2- did not live up to the hype. Which is fine with me because I just expected some flashy lights and that's what I got.

JJK S1- waited a year to watch because of hatred of hype. It ended up being a fun twist of shonen tropes, and also much darker than the average shonen.

FMAB- I'm biased. I watched the OG FMA and was excited for brotherhood. Brotherhood did skip through the first part of the story, a legit mark against the anime. However as I already spent 40+ episodes watching that material, that actually made me happy. Plus the very best parts of the anime lay in the second half.

Hunter x Hunter 2011- I started HxH with the OG animes Greed Island OVAs. I went into 2011 skeptical that a censored anime could compare to the OG which shared directors with Rurouni Kenshin. In the end, the quality of 2011 made up for the censorship. Also, 2011 made up for the manga art AND gave HxH a proper ending, something all HxH manga fans know in their hearts they will never get.

One Piece. You like it, or you don't. It's got lots of emotional moments to make you fall in love with the characters and the world. If they do nothing for you, just watch another anime. Also, forgive OP fans for being out of pocket sometimes. Most of us aren't like that. I'm not at least.

Demon Slayer- popcorn fun for the masses. Blockbuster anime are nice to have. Tanjiro is also decidedly different from the average shonen protagonist. He has empathy for evil. Not selfishness like Son Goku. Just empathy. It's not about redemption like MHA either. I can't really defend the other characters tho. If you hate them, you hate them.

The general rule is still ignore/avoid hype. Other than Vinland Saga S2, no newer anime I watched recently matched the hype. Utena and Sailor Moon S did, but those are from the 90s.

Hype is poison, Take your antidote and watch an anime cuz it sounds interesting, not cuz it's the next big thing.
May 23, 11:01 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to PeripheralVision
@LoveYourSmile

Demon Slayer is 90% its animation and art style. Ufotable is a very popular studio. That being said, in defense of Demon Slayer, I do think a small part of it is that Tanjiro is an empathetic protagonist who still kills his opponents. This is personally my reason, as I found too many series to be incredibly cynical, and I personally hate cynicism being elevated to wisdom in my media, be it through asshole protagonists or 4th wall reference humor.

Rick and Morty, for one.
@PeripheralVision As an absolutely cynical person with a decent art experience, I dislike that show with every fiber of my soul. The only moment of the show I really liked was that 4-arm lady episode. You don't really need to defend your beloved show, it's all a matter of taste/preference.
May 23, 11:17 AM

May 2021
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Odd Taxi
Quintessential Quintuplets

all shows that left me like genuinely confused about the hype because of how boring they all were to me
May 23, 11:23 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to AshuAmbrose
For me, it would be That time I got reincarnated as a slime. It's not about it being slow and boring(all SOL anime are) it's the lack of interesting characters and character development. All characters without exception are just cardboard cutouts whether it is the benevolent OP protagonist or his allies who are always fawning over him or the cartoonishly evil villains. Even the "fights" are just one-sided beatdowns with no stakes at all. Even when it felt like there were some stakes or consequences in season 2 it was immediately retconned to be "Yeah it was nothing it never mattered lol". Honestly, after listening to all of the hype I thought it would have something going for but it turned out to be just another garbage isekai with the same reused plot and characters, there is no substance, no creativity just a cash grab for the producers who know that the target audience is so stupid it won't question anything and just lick it clean like a hungry dog. Hell, even the songs are uninspired and boring.

And before any of this "target audience" says that the world-building, politics, etc. are good IT'S NOT. If you believe that you seriously need to watch some good political dramas then you would realize the actual meaning of these terms.
@AshuAmbrose I don't get how people can still stomach that show. It has collapsed in every polling site. Yet people are coping it will be anime of the season.
May 23, 11:27 AM
Community Mod
Entranced

Mar 2022
Thread locked.

You may use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Sep 19

39 by logopolis »»
24 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - Yesterday

44 by AAdira »»
33 minutes ago

» Overrated characters in the top 30? ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Jan 4, 2018

199 by Ba-Cii10 »»
40 minutes ago

» What anime studio has the best track record for consistent bangers?

Reshiram_IX - 11 hours ago

28 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
41 minutes ago

» What is your first impression of LOLI?

Jackieee12312312 - 1 hour ago

6 by SimplyBrazen »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.