Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 30, 2017 8:43 PM
Jun 2017
I started thinking this question after watching Death Note, FMA:B, and Your name.
First off, when I ask this question, I'm not implying that there isn't anime out there already that's equal to/exceeds these shows.

When you look at the score of these anime, you'll see that they are considered near masterpieces by almost everyone that watches them. It doesn't matter if your a seasoned anime consumer or someone that's completely new to the community. These shows are regarded as the best.

Just look at FMA:B. It's got a 9.25. So I'm that aspect, the anime that takes its place as the best would have TO BE a masterpiece. Personally I don't think that will happen. I doubt that a anime series, no matter how good, will ever surpass these shows.

I myself didn't even really like FMA. But with that said, I could not deny that it's near perfect in all categories. Sound, animation, story, characters, every category is great.

So my question to you guys is, Will these titans ever be surpassed? Remember, the only thing to ever surpass a titan, is a god.

Edit: I'm only using MALs rating for these shows as a example. Feel free to check any other anime rating/review site to confirm that said anime are regarded as the best. Keep in mind that I don't care what one region says us the best. I only pay attention to anime rating sites that critics/consumers from all around the world have access to.

These 3 anime (the majority of the time) are regarded as the best of the best (on the majority of sites)
Adi-BuddhaJul 1, 2017 7:36 AM
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 30, 2017 8:44 PM

May 2012
when the next season of gintama comes out it will be number 1
Jun 30, 2017 8:47 PM
Jun 2017
PoeticJustice said:
when the next season of gintama comes out it will be number 1
You think? It's a great contender but I doubt it
Jun 30, 2017 8:48 PM

Mar 2017
When the next show that isn't ecchi or harem comes along. Bonus if it has adult characters, nevermind that they are merely upscaled teenagers in the story.

-MAL

/s

EDIT: This is sarcasm. F*ck shows that gets a free pass from criticisms just because they're not fanservice galore. That's a f*cking low standards.

It has been irksome to repeatedly run into these vocal minority. I get it. You’re all sick and tired of high school harem moe ecchi shows. Cool. But are you really that desperate and pathetic that you’ll gladly lap up mediocrity for as long as it’s not ecchi? Guess what, Koe no Katachi, an anime about “dem dumfuk teenagerz”, still managed to tackle more mature and challenging themes than Fune wo Amu with a shorter runtime.

I love, love, love Fune wo Amu, but anybody who cannot see it for the timid barely above mediocrity series that it is needs a CT scan in the cognitive centers of their brains *smug Sheldon Cooper face* (Finally, I get to use that reference). It's a story that doesn't even resolves or even fully develop its primary Man vs Self conflict, fails to develop the friendship that would have provided a most solid and maybe even powerful core of what aspires (and fails) to be a character-driven drama, and introduced the most rushed love story I ever cared to remember because it's too scared that it might not sell without one. I'm not in the mood for rants right now so I'll leave it at that.
EankiJun 30, 2017 9:44 PM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jun 30, 2017 8:49 PM

Dec 2016
How can you say that FMA is perfect in every category and then also say that you didn't really like it.

What's the difference?
Jun 30, 2017 8:55 PM
Nov 2013
Not until One Punch Man 2 comes out..
Jun 30, 2017 8:58 PM

Jun 2015
Who cares what people on MAL consider to be good, though?

Kuraokani said:
I myself didn't even really like FMA. But with that said, I could not deny that it's near perfect in all categories. Sound, animation, story, characters, every category is great.

I'm curious if we watched the same show.

Jun 30, 2017 9:00 PM

Sep 2015
When we get a western release of Masaaki Yuasa's two new movies (pls let this happen) or pretty much any future work that he does.
Jun 30, 2017 9:01 PM

Jan 2015
le_halfhand_easy said:
When the next show that isn't ecchi or harem comes along. Bonus if it has adult characters, nevermind that they are merely upscaled teenagers in the story.

-MAL

those are some pretty loose standards, considering the fact that quan zhi gao shou fit the bill but you hated it

might want to add no OP arrogant MCs to that eh
Jun 30, 2017 9:05 PM

Nov 2014
Probably whenever Henneko gets a second season.

In all seriousness, there's always anime to watch. Don't need to raise your hopes up on upcoming series being masterpieces, because you'll only raise your expectations and are more likely to be disappointed. Even if there aren't many good anime, there are still terrible anime so terrible that they are unintentional comedies. So just enjoy.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jun 30, 2017 9:15 PM

Mar 2017
carpaccio said:
le_halfhand_easy said:

-MAL

those are some pretty loose standards, considering the fact that quan zhi gao shou fit the bill but you hated it

That was a blatant mockery of the kinds of praise shows like QZGS gets showered with.
Jun 30, 2017 9:19 PM

Jan 2016
Jun 30, 2017 9:19 PM

Apr 2017
>Waits Pluto till 2020

>See what I thought it would be.
-HippySnob-Jun 30, 2017 9:22 PM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Jun 30, 2017 9:21 PM

Oct 2014
I dont find magical anime otherwise known as mahou shoujos interesting. Maybe when I was like 13 or even 12 I would enjoy them. I feel like a lot of creators focus more on that rather than shows such as the ones that were mentioned. Harem pisses me off too. BUT who knows maybe you'll find a gem somewhere within all the "non" masterpieces.
“But even when the moon looks like it's waning...
it's actually never changing shape. Don't ever forget that.”― Ai Yazawa

... ✽

「 If only I could wash all my worries and
sorrows away with music 」
Jun 30, 2017 9:22 PM

Jan 2015
le_halfhand_easy said:
carpaccio said:

That was a blatant mockery of the kinds of praise shows like QZGS gets showered with.

yeah that didn't come across in context somehow, are you talking about mal's average ratings?
Jun 30, 2017 9:22 PM
Jun 2017
le_halfhand_easy said:

-MAL
Yeah I'm tired of middle schoolers lol
Jun 30, 2017 9:23 PM

Jun 2017
In the next 20 years when Hiatus x Hiatus gets a new season.
Jun 30, 2017 9:23 PM
Jun 2017
Gohdhand said:
How can you say that FMA is perfect in every category and then also say that you didn't really like it.
It's simple, I didn't like it that much but I acknowledge that everything about its good.
Jun 30, 2017 9:24 PM

Oct 2016
first of all, Your Name is not masterpiece

to answer your question, next season of Gintama which cover the last arc.
Jun 30, 2017 9:24 PM
Jun 2017
rawrX3pounces said:
Who cares what people on MAL consider to be good, though?

Kuraokani said:

I'm curious if we watched the same show.
Lmao well millions don't lie. The majority tends to be right
Jun 30, 2017 9:26 PM
Jun 2017
deafnote said:
Like... an actual masterpiece? Or just the next overrated popular anime?

Probably won't get another hit until sometime next year. Or later if 2018 is anything like the first half of this year
I'm soaking, when will a anime come along that's considered a masterpiece by critics and 99 percent of the people that watch it

Nov 2013
The notion, that these anime are masterpieces just because they are rated this highly, is flawed to begin with.

And there will surely be an anime, that will be rated higher, in the future.

And there are already anime, which surpassed the mentioned anime.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi

Oct 2013
Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? Only time will tell.
Jun 30, 2017 9:27 PM

Jun 2016
deafnote said:
Like... an actual masterpiece? Or just the next overrated popular anime?

Probably won't get another hit until sometime next year. Or later if 2018 is anything like the first half of this year

Pretty much the latter. I haven't watched Death Note (I have read the manga) or FMA: Brotherhood, but I can honestly say that I don't think your name is a masterpiece. Yea it's pretty darn good, but I really don't understand why everyone is losing their shit over it and calling it a masterpiece.
Jun 30, 2017 9:28 PM
Jun 2017
HoodWeeb said:
Oh yeah ! But the first season made the ant king arc to long which is one of the reasons it isn't a masterpiece
Jun 30, 2017 9:28 PM

Jan 2015
HoodWeeb said:

can't disagree with this

dammit togashi, i wanna believe in u
Jun 30, 2017 9:29 PM

Feb 2017
HoodWeeb said:

eeeee i can't wait for hiatus x hiatus to get a new season but im probably going to be dead before a new season comes out rip
Jun 30, 2017 9:30 PM
Jun 2017
TheBigGuy said:
The notion, that these anime are masterpieces just because they are rated this highly, is flawed to begin with.

What anime surpassed it? How is it flawed when the people and the critics say it's the best? With your argument we could never decide what anime was the best
Jun 30, 2017 9:31 PM

May 2012
Well it's been 6 years since we've seen anything as widely acclaimed as FMAB, S;G, or HxH - and these shows all began airing within 2 years of each other (CRAZY) so we might be past the period where shows of that quality are made. You're best bet is probably movies - stuff like Your Name and Koe no Katachi (haven't seen either but they seem to be doing really well)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2017 9:31 PM
Jun 2017
trayyce said:
HoodWeeb said:

eeeee i can't wait for hiatus x hiatus to get a new season but im probably going to be dead before a new season comes out rip
Isnt the manga starting again? Hopefully
Jun 30, 2017 9:33 PM
Jun 2017
arcticdrop712 said:
Well it's been 6 years since we've seen anything as widely acclaimed as FMAB, S;G, or HxH - and these shows all began airing within 2 years of each other (CRAZY) so we might be past the period where shows of that quality are made. You're best bet is probably movies - stuff like Your Name and Koe no Katachi (haven't seen either but they seem to be doing really well)
Yeah, that's what I figured. I guess it's like asking if there will ever be anyone faster than usain bolt
Jun 2017
Kuraokani said:
I started thinking this question after watching Death Note, FMA:B, and Your name.
First off, when I ask this question, I'm not implying that there isn't anime out there already that's equal to/exceeds these shows.

When you look at the score of these anime, you'll see that they are considered near masterpieces by almost everyone that watches them. It doesn't matter if your a seasoned anime consumer or someone that's completely new to the community. These shows are regarded as the best.

Just look at FMA:B. It's got a 9.25. So I'm that aspect, the anime that takes its place as the best would have TO BE a masterpiece. Personally I don't think that will happen. I doubt that a anime series, no matter how good, will ever surpass these shows.

So my question to you guys is, Will these titans ever be surpassed? Remember, the only thing to ever surpass a titan, is a god.

MAL works base on majority
thus popularity got a lot to do with the score
if you want some master pieces, look for anime that are around the 50-150th in top anime base on score
i believe that there're plenty of series surpass those in term of quality (this is also very subjective topic)
just that those shows are more popular (they also have to be quite good on their own)
Kimi no Nawa is a good show, but i don't think it's a master piece, but it popularity is undoubtedly.
Evidently, it's now the "best" anime base on score on MAL

rather than hoping something to surpass it in term of score on MAL, you should strive to find anime that you yourself considered master piece

Jun 2017
Kuraokani said:
trayyce said:

Yeah, it's been confirmed that it will start again.
Jun 30, 2017 9:35 PM
Jun 2017
HoodWeeb said:
Kuraokani said:

Yeah, it's been confirmed that it will start again.
Probably only for a short time though. Then another break
Jun 30, 2017 9:35 PM

Feb 2017
Kuraokani said:
trayyce said:

yeaa! Im hoping Togashi doesn't go on hiatus again tho:(
Jun 30, 2017 9:36 PM

Jan 2015
trayyce said:
Kuraokani said:

rip our hopes and dreams
30 chars pls
Jun 30, 2017 9:39 PM

Aug 2016
Ahem... May I interest you in what I would consider the GREATEST masterpiece by A-1 Pictures called Sword Ar-

Everyone:

Me:
Jun 30, 2017 9:41 PM
Jun 2017
trayyce said:
Kuraokani said:

He's a dipshit. Says drawing is to hard for one person but doesn't get help
Jun 30, 2017 9:42 PM
Jun 2017
EriitoSenshi said:
Ahem... May I interest you in what I would consider the GREATEST masterpiece by A-1 Pictures called Sword Ar-

Everyone:

Me:
Don't throw your life away like that! You have so much to live for!😭😭 lol
Jun 30, 2017 9:43 PM

Feb 2017
EriitoSenshi said:

Everyone:

Me:

AWEEE LMAO I FEEL BAD FOR YOU! EVEN THO I DONT LIKE SAO, STAY STRONG AND CONTINUE TO LOVE SAO NO MATTER WHAT PPL SAY!
Jun 30, 2017 9:44 PM

Aug 2016
Kuraokani said:
EriitoSenshi said:

Everyone:

Me:

The only thing I have to live for is anime and gaming man XD. As long as they're here I would never throw away my life. NEVER!!
Jun 30, 2017 9:45 PM
Jun 2017
Kuraokani said:
HoodWeeb said:
Oh yeah ! But the first season made the ant king arc to long which is one of the reasons it isn't a masterpiece

agree that it was long, but the way they pieced it together in the end was perfect
werzieJun 30, 2017 11:41 PM
Jun 30, 2017 9:46 PM

Aug 2016
trayyce said:
EriitoSenshi said:

Everyone:

Me:

AWEEE LMAO I FEEL BAD FOR YOU! EVEN THO I DONT LIKE SAO, STAY STRONG AND CONTINUE TO LOVE SAO NO MATTER WHAT PPL SAY!

THANK YOU I PROMISE I WILL NEVER STOP LOVING SAO!!!
Dec 2015
Kuraokani said:
TheBigGuy said:

What anime surpassed it? How is it flawed when the people and the critics say it's the best? With your argument we could never decide what anime was the best
We can't decide what anime is best, because anime is subjective and no one will agree, and what is a flaw to one person may be nothing or even a strength to another.

For OP, we'll get another one soon enough, though unlike FMA I don't feel that Your Name or Koe no Katachi deserve the hype. Every time a new Gintama comes it becomes rated #1 before the first episode even airs.

Feb 2017
Kuraokani said:
trayyce said:

ikr he should hire ppl to draw for him while he writes the story and stuff. But i guess it's sort of harder to explain what you picture in your head to other ppl.
Jun 30, 2017 9:47 PM

Mar 2017
carpaccio said:

yeah that didn't come across in context somehow, are you talking about mal's average ratings?

I'm talking about the community's rank attitude of lapping up any series, hyping them up to eleven, and treating shows like its the best thing since slice bread for merely not having fanservice or "dem dumfuk teenagerz".

Dec 2015
"another"? There was never a masterpiece anime, it´s all trash.
Jun 2017
EriitoSenshi said:
Kuraokani said:

The only thing I have to live for is anime and gaming man XD. As long as they're here I would never throw away my life. NEVER!!
Sword art was my fav. Then I watched my second anime series😂
Jun 30, 2017 9:49 PM

Jun 2016
When berserk gets a new adaption like they did with HxH.
Jun 30, 2017 9:50 PM
Jun 2017
trayyce said:
Kuraokani said:

ikr he should hire ppl to draw for him while he writes the story and stuff. But i guess it's sort of harder to explain what you picture in your head to other ppl.
His excuse though. "Drowning is to hard for me. I'm gonna take a 2 year break"
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What anime studio has the best track record for consistent bangers?

Reshiram_IX - 12 hours ago

32 by kirA_-_ »»
1 minute ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - Yesterday

46 by TransferUser »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Which real life underdog story would you like to see getting an anime adaptation the most?

Lincompoop - 10 hours ago

9 by RainyEvenings »»
28 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Sep 19

40 by AAdira »»
30 minutes ago

» Overrated characters in the top 30? ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Jan 4, 2018

199 by Ba-Cii10 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.