Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2013 4:14 AM

Jun 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So Mamoru's life force that was powering the CRS transfers into Yuki(who had recently deceased) reviving her. Soon after, Okita passes away but similar to when Mamoru died, his essence was transferred into the CRS giving life to Earth. All that foreshadowing throughout the series about Okita's declining health was bound to be put to use eventually

Pretty satisfactory ending I must say. Can't wait to re-watch with subs and Nana Mizuki ED
HybridMBLSep 29, 2013 4:27 AM
Sep 29, 2013 9:50 AM

Feb 2012
Still waiting for decent subs to appear somewhere before I whip this bad boy up and give it a marathon. Hmm, will be interesting.

I do wonder though (yet I'm sure this has been asked millions of times), could I watch without having watched the original? Hmmm.
Sep 29, 2013 11:43 AM

Jun 2012
Stellio said:
Still waiting for decent subs to appear somewhere before I whip this bad boy up and give it a marathon. Hmm, will be interesting.

I do wonder though (yet I'm sure this has been asked millions of times), could I watch without having watched the original? Hmmm.

Yes you can watch without having watched the original : ) That's what I did!

There are subs available for eps 1-22 right now, The last 4 will have subs by the end of October when the last BD is released
Oct 1, 2013 6:39 PM

Apr 2009
started marathoning soon as i heard the TV version was finished.. good thing i could watch raw anime now and understand 95% of it..

but damn.. what a great show.. i know nothing of the original and yet this holds as one of the best that has come out this past 2 yrs.. GHALE glorious remake!!.. GHALE old school space opera!!

start recommending this to everyone as soon as all subs have finished.. it had everything from glorious battles, space adventure, outstanding cast of characters on both sides of the conflict, good message and a satisfying ending (based from the originals, they could even continue this).. heck, even tell them that this show has all the hawt girls and manly men if they still won't budge..
argiliumOct 1, 2013 6:49 PM
Oct 13, 2013 1:05 PM

Feb 2008
Yeah, still waiting for this to get subbed, and then I'll marathon it as well. Loved the original series along with many other of Leiji Matsumoto's works.

Hoping the rest will be subbed at the end of the month or early November. *crosses fingers*
In sterquiliniis invenitur.
Oct 27, 2013 7:19 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great ending. A couple of real tear jerker moments around the place and even a wedding (Kato you dog getting a fellow crew member pregnant is grounds for a court martial!). Mamoru Kodai becomes literally the deus ex machina and the Captain passes away as expected. We salute him!

I really hope this series is succesful enough to merit a sequel or two. There is simply not enough space opera out there right now and this fills the spot beautifully. And it has everything you could ever want; battle, romance, sci-fi... the works.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 27, 2013 9:46 AM

Mar 2010
Outstanding retelling of 70s überclassic. I am impressed.
Oct 27, 2013 4:43 PM

Mar 2013
argilium said:

start recommending this to everyone as soon as all subs have finished.. it had everything from glorious battles, space adventure, outstanding cast of characters on both sides of the conflict, good message and a satisfying ending (based from the originals, they could even continue this).. heck, even tell them that this show has all the hawt girls and manly men if they still won't budge..

Please, everyone. Do this! If you think this show is underwatched and undervalued (no duh!), do your part and start spreading the word!
Oct 30, 2013 7:20 AM

Mar 2012
Volume 7 alone already sold more than 23k BD's alone, not counting the DVD's. All the other volumes sold atleast 50k BD's per volume if I'm not mistaken, not counting the DVD's.
Oct 30, 2013 9:00 PM

Oct 2008
I was a bit dissapointed by the ending, but a great series overall, one of the best space operas for sure (after LOGH of course), 8/10
Oct 31, 2013 1:51 PM
Sep 2012
Outstanding show any which way you look at it. I've been meaning to watch the original for some time.

I loved the music (much of which was redone from original): the KOKIA song (Kioku no Hikari) was awesome.

I will probably be the lone voice of dissent but I liked this more than LOGH (even though LOGH was still good).
Nov 1, 2013 9:44 AM

Apr 2009
God knows I love a happy ending sometimes.

Excellent show, warrants a rewatch at some point. It's rare that an anime gets a space opera right, but this delivered. 8/10
Nov 1, 2013 8:24 PM

Feb 2012
So, Cosmo Reverse System is like Arcadia's computer. I see what they're doing here.
Nov 1, 2013 10:58 PM

Apr 2012
A great ending to a great space opera! Man, this series is one hell of a ride and should be the OVA series of the decade.

Salute to captain Okita! "insert Kenshiro manly tears here"

RedgraveGilverNov 1, 2013 11:01 PM
Nov 1, 2013 11:15 PM

Nov 2012
Outstanding show and finale! As someone who hasn't watched the original Yamato but acknowledges its significance in anime, I can say I was super impressed by this remake! I can safely say Yamato 2199 gave me some of the best anime memories I've had so far and I am pretty sure it will always hold a special place for me, no matter how many more anime shows I watch in my life.

11/10
Tassadar14Nov 3, 2013 12:22 PM
Nov 1, 2013 11:41 PM

Sep 2013
Salute. Even though I have no prior knowledge of Yamato 2199 before this anime aired, but this is truly a masterpiece. I can see why people love to see past drama/anime in the 1970s++

11/10. The scoring is intangible.
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Nov 2, 2013 7:02 AM

Apr 2010
The emotional conclusion to the epic series that left me rejoicing in glee at everything the Yamato blew up. The journey that took a year and a half to complete, was WELL worth the grueling wait for each set of episodes. I am proud to give this an 11/10 and add this to the hall of my all-time favorites.

I'll never get tired of that opening theme, either.

Nov 2, 2013 11:33 AM
Mar 2010
Man, that was a beautiful anime. I'm kinda disappointed that it didn't show a "what happens to the characters afterwards" series of pictures or maybe even Kodai's wedding, but that was just about the only thing I could find fault in.

This was an amazing ride and I'm glad I found this anime.

Like the others above me: 11/10.
Nov 2, 2013 12:45 PM

Aug 2010
11/10 for me, too

Manly tears were shed, and I squealed at the SusumuXYuki kiss.

Also, monk-cut got the nurse preggers! Way to go man! And I'll raise a drink to Captain Okita and Mamoru Kodai. Especially the latter, he made his name true until the very end.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Nov 2, 2013 9:29 PM

Jul 2010
Thanks god Matsumoto, anime is really saved. 10/10

Thank you for your long ride, I enjoyed every single frame of this masterpiece.
Probably yes, one of the best space opera out there. (Together with LOGH master race and Gundam franchise).

I must admit that I expected more by Desler, but I think this is a consequence of the post-LOGH disease, still emotional though, don't get me wrong.

Oh, about that scene before the ending, when they showed the earth restored as it once was. I found it utterly Beautiful.

Wordsmith said:
Manly tears were shed, and I squealed at the SusumuXYuki kiss.

We are two then bro. Okita's dead was to be expected, but still I nearly cried there. The emotional impact of this show was absolutely the best. A good plus to the excellent OST.

This makes me think, what if they would do a remake like this with Gundam or LOGH?
The world still has things to be done.
AkanezoraNov 2, 2013 9:52 PM
Nov 3, 2013 10:25 AM

Apr 2011
I kinda expect Yuki will revive and she did. I was happy at their scene. Add to that Kato and the hot nurse' wedding and getting her preggie.

Even thought Okita is gone, he at least seen the earth once again. I salute, he's an awesome captain.

This anime is just an absolutely thrilling ride from start till end. It was just magnificient.
It had very nostalgic feeling while watching every episode like I was back in the good early years.

This is one of the few animes that I'll give a masterpiece 10/10 and it rightfully deserves it.

Kinda wish Kodai made Yurisha preggy before he left Iscandar, she's so pretty made me feel that you wanna give her a baby. Of course, that's just my stupid me thinking stupid. lol

Anyway, this is one of the greatest animes I've ever watch that I will never forget.
Nov 4, 2013 6:37 AM

Oct 2010
One of the best anime , outstanding till the last episode , a 10/10 from me !
Nov 4, 2013 12:51 PM

Feb 2008
mecharobot said:
So, Cosmo Reverse System is like Arcadia's computer. I see what they're doing here.

Hehe, my thoughts exactly. It's not necessarily a bad way of doing things. Classic yamato didn't even really give an explanation on how the Cosmo Cleaner-D was supposed to work. Although, it's still magical in both cases *laughs*
In sterquiliniis invenitur.
Nov 4, 2013 2:19 PM

Jan 2008
I loved this series...quite sad so many characters died. Especially one particular alien girl: Celestella. I really hoped she survived, because, if she didn't, then what the hell did Yuki get shot in the back for!? She covered her, bled for her, and they just kill off the girl she was trying to protect from killing herself, as well as her former comrades pointing their guns at them? If they can pull a Deus Ex Machina to let Yuki live, then they better have had Celestella in the sickbay with all the other wounded people off-screen. I really hate it when good characters die, while others that deserve it don't, like that fat bastard on board the dimensional-submarine.

I really hope there's a second season (they have more than enough material for it, with other enemies besides Gamilas), and so many unanswered questions, like what will happen to Gamilas now that their dictator is dead, with the help of the princess and Melda...also the whole hinting from the queen's hand-motion in the last episode....the fate of the earth, whether the Cosmo Reverse System/Okita's life-force rebooting it, was enough for it or not. Speaking of the captain, who will replace him, Mamoru? And that's just the stuff from this remake they can expand on, not including the original work' material, which includes sequels:
Space Battleship 2, Space Battleship Yamato: The New Voyage, Be Forever Yamato, Space Battleship 3, Space Battleship Yamato - Final Chapter, Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection...over the course of 21 years in their timeline, all the way up to year 2220!
Estoy_GordoNov 4, 2013 2:43 PM
Nov 5, 2013 5:41 PM

Dec 2008
just curious guys: for you that have watched the original version, which version do you guys prefer? considering art, characters but especially story

(i really prefer the old version ! you can't just do this with Desler...)
Nov 5, 2013 9:14 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty good series, would have preferred some more closure like what happened afterwards etc but im content. Did not expect the Kato x busty nurse pairing, too bad Akira didnt even have a chance :(
Nov 6, 2013 12:16 PM
Sep 2012
ArcXIII said:
mecharobot said:

Hehe, my thoughts exactly. It's not necessarily a bad way of doing things. Classic yamato didn't even really give an explanation on how the Cosmo Cleaner-D was supposed to work. Although, it's still magical in both cases *laughs*

As mentioned in the series, advanced technology is basically like magic :) One thing I did appreciate was the occasional emphasis on the miraculous over the scientific. This type of thing is pretty rare for a Sci-Fi
Nov 6, 2013 7:22 PM

Jul 2010
4kicks said:
I really hate it when good characters die, while others that deserve it don't, like that fat bastard on board the dimensional-submarine.

Ahahah, couldn't agree more. He and Ito Shinya were the most detestable characters, but that was their role. Btw, I kinda liked Ito when he died, after all his last wish was directed to the Earth's sake.
AkanezoraNov 6, 2013 7:25 PM
Nov 10, 2013 12:50 AM

Jan 2011
Such a great OVA series I'm glad there is another project planned for it.
[center]
Nov 10, 2013 12:28 PM

Apr 2013
11/10 At the end, I just had to get up off my chair and applause
this has to be one of the best anime ive watched , adding this to my fav
kinda wanted to see the funeral for the captain ;_;
Nov 11, 2013 2:48 AM

Nov 2012
LOL@FANSERVICE - maid, bikini and girls showing shapely ass pretty often Haha
Fanservice was okay I liked it.

I very liked characters art style and overall graphic and battle scenes, story had minor flaws, but I will ingore them until I wont see better space opera 10/10 for now.

Ending was touchy!
Nov 12, 2013 12:44 AM

Nov 2011
just added to my favorites
love nana's song in the ending
Hate Keeps me warm
Nov 14, 2013 12:45 PM

Apr 2010
The beginning wasn't THAT great, but god I don't regret watching all of it. Truly an amazing series.

9.5/10
Nov 14, 2013 7:20 PM

Aug 2012
I had it at an 8 throughout 22 episodes, but the last four just drove it home and then some. Everything you wanted, more than you expected. It was so bittersweet at the end when Sado-sensei couldn't bring himself to tell them about Okita once he saw them them rejoicing over Yuki and coming home.

Loved it, absolute 11/10
Nov 15, 2013 6:58 PM
Jun 2013
Just finished this. Definitely one of the best space operas I've ever seen. Though there were a few flaws to me, it was great how they pulled off such a large cast and such an epic journey. But a beautiful ending nonetheless

Add to that I loved the art and character designs.

9/10, this anime should be more well-known than it is!
Nov 17, 2013 6:06 AM

Oct 2010
Really liked the series.

I felt as if it should have been at least double it's length though. There were so many characters who we saw a little bit of and I think it would have helped if we'd gotten more time to flesh them out. At times it felt kind of rushed, it could easily have been significantly longer imo.

The fanservice....oh the fanservice. Kinda funny how literally every woman in the series was young, fit, attractive and wore incredibly skin tight clothes. It definitely didn't detract from any of the characters in any way, but it still felt really tacked on to me. It just didn't need to be there.

Overall a really great show, with a few minor flaws.
SimmianPrimeNov 17, 2013 6:10 AM
Nov 21, 2013 9:33 PM

Jul 2010
Yeah, i was totally expecting for Yuki to be revived. And glad she did, as i love happy endings. It would've leave a bad taste in mouth after all those great battles if they had killed her in final episode. Also liked that tear jerking kiss scene. Though i must say, poor girl was always the target. Two times kidnapped and one time shot. Well, both Kodai's did the job to save her. Despite some deus ex machina, A great series overall.
Nov 23, 2013 10:56 AM

Aug 2013
billng said:
Pretty good series, would have preferred some more closure like what happened afterwards etc but im content. Did not expect the Kato x busty nurse pairing, too bad Akira didnt even have a chance :(

That's because she hasn't acknowledge her love for Melde Deitz yet ;)

Jokes aside, wow. It's rare that a series is good enough for me to marathon it (Gankutsuou, Steins;Gate, and Madoka come to mind), and wow.
A remake of a series I watched as a child, and boy did it deliver. Mamoru being a deus ex machina (literally!) was a little odd, but this makes top ten at the very least.
Nov 30, 2013 10:55 PM

Jan 2011
Finally finished, and bumped this up to a 10. So many great moments in the final episode and too many highlights to mention. They even found a way to get an Arthur C. Clarke quote in there, so another bit of homage to classic SF (The Green Hills of Earth, Heinlein reference last episode was also great).
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Dec 9, 2013 2:46 AM

Apr 2011
I too haven't seen the original series. After hearing good things about this show from Peter Payne (Jlist owner) I decided to check it out. This has been one of the best animes I've seen in the past 10 years.

Absolutely Amazing series

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 10/10
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Dec 10, 2013 1:52 PM

Mar 2013
wow this ending was unoriginal and childish-.- ofc yuki survives, because plot said so. The lack of consequences is what makes this anime so immature. overall this anime was a big dissapointment, starting of very interesting with a very nice artstyle ( and one of the best CG in anime history). The characters where bad from the begin with and it was kinda predictable that they wont die, but the show presented them as way too overpowered. The absolutly illogical and ridiculous attempt to connect normal ocean battleship technic with space was kinda funny but became annoying after a while. over all i would give this anime a 5/10 which is in my ratingsystem not that bad.
Dec 24, 2013 9:21 AM

Aug 2008
Great anime.

So between this one and the original(including the movie) which one is better?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Dec 24, 2013 10:37 PM

May 2010
This show focuses more on story and animation, both of which are exceptionally well done. Personally I feel that the main characters' development could be expanded further.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 27, 2013 11:21 PM

Oct 2008
I shed a tear when Okita died.

Excellent remake and a great series on it's own as well. Better than the original, since it complicated the story more and even though its a remake of season 1, it used elements from season 3 as well. Not to mention it fleshed out its characters pretty well (the original failed miserably in that respect) and even though, much like the original, it didn't always make complete sense, it made still more sense here.
I even liked how it poked fun at the original in some ways.
And of course production values are amazing.
Pacing seemed a tad rushed at times, but nothing too bad. Also, even though The ending here is solid, it was also sloppy. much better than the ending of the first season though, which was 10 times more sloppy.
HatulDec 27, 2013 11:25 PM
Dec 31, 2013 9:18 PM

Nov 2011
Well grats on the marriage but damn, I wasn't expecting Yuki to pass away in the finale.

Oh wait, she's alive! Lol. Anyways, 7/10 on this show. It has its good and bad moments. I really liked some of the battles and captured moments of what a space sci-fi series this is though. The captain and other characters also had credible expressions most of the time.
Jan 7, 2014 10:43 PM

Jan 2013
9.5/10
Jan 10, 2014 12:19 AM

Sep 2011
So very very good, one of the best space operas I've ever seen. Do you guys think they will remake the other arcs? Really loved this show/universe would like to see more.
Jan 16, 2014 2:25 AM
Dec 2013
Great show but a couple things took away from it. The whole revive thing was basically a deus ex machina. They shouldn't have killed Yuki in the first place if they were going to revive her under such conditions. Second, for a really advanced civilization, the Gamillas ships felt like they were made of paper while the Yamato was made of lead.

Third, many died on the Yamato and many little planes were destroyed but they never seemed to run out of artillery or new planes or new crew members...in fact, somehow, every crew member who was good and got screen time, besides the captain, survived. Lastly, Desler was waaay overhyped and never really amounted to anything.

Overall, if I were to score iit, it would still get at least an 8/10 because I give that to any show that I successfully marathon without getting bored. It was still entertaining if nothing else.
Jan 31, 2014 3:58 PM

Jul 2010
Good to know I wasn't the only one that shad manly tears on numerous occasions and I freaking loved this ending. A true joy to watch and I don't regret any minute of it.

11/10
Feb 5, 2014 11:22 AM

Oct 2013
I wished to see more that triangle relationship, but it died around halfway. I like Akire more but Yuki is fine too. Still satisfying ending nonetheless. One of the best space opera genre out there.

11/10 just like everyone else did.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Having real problems sticking to this show.

shurryy - Dec 25, 2014

10 by Khalifla »»
May 14, 1:57 PM

» OP Singers of TV Airing ver.

tsubasalover - Mar 16, 2013

9 by Serhiyko »»
Mar 29, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HybridMBL - Sep 15, 2013

54 by Mailo91 »»
Mar 20, 8:58 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

27CansOfTuna - Mar 10, 2013

59 by Merolae »»
Nov 21, 2023 2:37 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 Episode 9 Discussion

27CansOfTuna - Dec 2, 2012

39 by Rekuiemu »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.