Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
Mamao gets assigned another task that seems easy at first but turns out to be more difficult due to seasonal circumstances. However, she finally earned some peace after so much drama in the recent episodes.

Good thing they still got the blue rose. Jinshi and Mamao still has a close bond even through their small talks.
Mar 9, 8:21 AM

May 2020
No, that head maid is a good woman, but I can’t see her finding herself a partner soon enough lol. Though back to the point, and with the garden party around the corner, I like how Lakan just comes whenever he pleases and plays with Jinshi, or more like demands something out of him, that the guy genuinely looks as clueless as someone could after their meetings lol.

Blue rose is an actual thing, but I’m not sure if this was a thing back in their times, so Lakan with his demand was as cruel as someone could lol. Though hey, to think Maomao knows and heck even produced blue roses in the end, albeit not as “naturally” as one would have wanted, just shows the flood of knowledge she possesses.

By the way, the whole segment of this spring garden party looked fabulous. It was for Loulan’s introduction, but hey Jinshi kind of stole the spotlight with his blue roses in the end, the blue roses, which was kind of a "mistake", a lucky mistake I must say, since the start. Though anyways, Maomao did her part and now we'd see the confrontation between her and Lakan.

Next episode will be about Lakan. Really hoping people would change their perception about him after that lol.
Softhenic03Mar 9, 8:28 AM
Mar 9, 9:22 AM

Dec 2021
Long time since we've been in the Jade Palace.

As Gyokuyou's pregnancy becomes certain, Maomao spends peaceful days in the Jade Palace. One day, Jinshi asks Maomao for a blue rose for the next garden party. Maomao realizes that Lakan has devised a plan for this challenge, so she decides to take on the challenge of making a blue rose. Despite struggling as the garden party approaches, Maomao's efforts are in vain as the roses refuse to even bud due to being out of season.

Babies can sometimes recognize their mother's voice right after birth. Whenever Lakan shows up, I just get a headache – and the next episode is all about him. Poor Jinshi looks rough, and Maomao's thinking the same as me – she just wants to see Lakan fail. It's nice to see Maomao and Xiaolan together again; they've kept a good relationship. But both Jinshi and Maomao look exhausted. Then at the garden party, Lakan's behavior is just rude, using someone's hat as a napkin. He treats people like pawns; he's nothing like Ayanokoji.

To Lakan, Maomao isn't just a pawn; she's his opponent.

Mar 9, 9:48 AM
Sep 2015
With only two episodes left, they'll be use for Lakan and no one else. Really wish for sequel announcement, but I've to wait years anyway even if the studio decide to do it.
Mar 9, 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
Is it me or does mao look a bit of art wise the last 2 eps? THis ep when she got called in by jinshi. Like they tried to make her look more asian or something?xd +blush shots

Jinshi also looking weird in some shots
removed-userMar 9, 11:05 AM
Mar 9, 11:08 AM
May 2021
Maomao at the end. Ready for business!!
Mar 9, 11:17 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty damn good episode. Definitely better than last week's for me. Was a change of pace but I did like the commitment Maomao showed to get those blue roses and was nice seeing some familiar faces among the consorts again. The spring garden party and the roses that Jinshi managed to present looked really lovely in the end, even showing up Loulan in the process a little bit with how stunning they were. Maomao's exhaustion was visible given how much work she had to do, and the heat and humidity too in the shed but it turned out well enough. Really good cliffhanger as well in the end, with a strong last few minutes too showcasing Lakan's character a bit. A lot more focus should be there for Lakan and Maomao next week so that should be great.
Mar 9, 11:20 AM

Apr 2010
Lakan's behaviour during the event was pretty funny he really doesn't care much about what's happening.
Still he does care about Moamoa and the question is what is she going to do about since clearly it looks like she was planning something.
Mar 9, 11:20 AM

Mar 2021
So cool to see Xiaolan again she is such a cutie and Maomao means business now I get wait for the next episode.
Mar 9, 11:21 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to jas-samaaa
Maomao at the end. Ready for business!!
@jas-samaaa Its a shame i already know whats gonna happen thanks to novel spoilers, feelsbad. Which is probably the last 2 episodes in the anime. Knowing the ending kinda sucks qq.
Mar 9, 11:27 AM
Oct 2020
MaoMao is quite the strategist too. Literally starting a fashion trend just to make life a bit worse for Lakan. Well also to get some ladies in waiting out of the way. Anys Maomao did the impossible and made roses bloom a month earlier and made them blue. I'm looking forward to the next episode because it's going to be good. Finally some backstory!
Mar 9, 11:32 AM

Jul 2011
Maomao in this episode. You know, I'm something of a botanist myself.

Maomao may have deeply scared the Crystal Pavilion handmaidens, but she is too interesting to stay away.

Now is tackle the worst enemy.
Mar 9, 11:33 AM

Feb 2021
I feel like it's been forever since the last time we saw Xiaolan. And I really love her voice for some reason. Sasuga Misaki Kuno. It's actually a bit lower than her usual anime voice iirc.
Damn, she really must've wanted to get one over on Lakan if she went to such lengths to raise the roses.
Badass Maomao is badass.
Lakan's backstory next week!

Edit: I just noticed that the nails and blue roses from this episode were in the OP this whole time. It has all the events from this cour packed into it to the brim, I love it.
EmbientMar 9, 11:40 AM
Mar 9, 11:39 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to phantomfandom
With only two episodes left, they'll be use for Lakan and no one else. Really wish for sequel announcement, but I've to wait years anyway even if the studio decide to do it.
@phantomfandom why so? If production comitee has already greenleet it, it should not take that long. Spy x Family S2 was produced within a year and the studions involved here are at least as big as the ones wortking on it. They can probably make 24 eps within a year or two iof it is a priority project (or just go wioth split-cour to ease the work). And there is enough material for 6 more seasons in LN. I won't accept some people with their dumb argument "but ther manga should catch up". While they are promoting manga also, these LNs make a lot of money by themselves.
Mar 9, 11:40 AM
Oct 2016
Lakan keeps being thwarted by Maomao and Jinshi at every turn. By giving Jinshi a thought to he impossible task Lakan figured he had pulled one over finally but he was wrong. Maomao endless determination came out on top. Jinshi asking her to find some blue roses so that Lakan could be out done at the next garden party. Maomao knowing that such flowers dome exist naturally uses a brilliant method to make normally white roses turn blue. Even before that taking those potted and forcing an accelerated bloom from them by basically putting them into a plant incubator, A super greenhouse that uses inside heat to have them grow faster. Maomao pulling all nighters to keep the plants warm so their buds will bloom. It was a miracle to get that many ready by the garden party. Maomao painting nails spread around the palace fast as the next big trend. All the girls even the concubine had their nails painted by the time the party came around. Lady Gyoukyou not attending so her pregnancy stays secret that way Lady Loulan isn't felt she's being upstaged. Her father holds much power especially considering his relationship with the mother of the previous emperor. There's many moving parts at play here but Lakan is the biggest threat, it's time to take the fight to him instead of being on the defensive.
Mar 9, 11:46 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to Softhenic03
No, that head maid is a good woman, but I can’t see her finding herself a partner soon enough lol. Though back to the point, and with the garden party around the corner, I like how Lakan just comes whenever he pleases and plays with Jinshi, or more like demands something out of him, that the guy genuinely looks as clueless as someone could after their meetings lol.

Blue rose is an actual thing, but I’m not sure if this was a thing back in their times, so Lakan with his demand was as cruel as someone could lol. Though hey, to think Maomao knows and heck even produced blue roses in the end, albeit not as “naturally” as one would have wanted, just shows the flood of knowledge she possesses.

By the way, the whole segment of this spring garden party looked fabulous. It was for Loulan’s introduction, but hey Jinshi kind of stole the spotlight with his blue roses in the end, the blue roses, which was kind of a "mistake", a lucky mistake I must say, since the start. Though anyways, Maomao did her part and now we'd see the confrontation between her and Lakan.

Next episode will be about Lakan. Really hoping people would change their perception about him after that lol.
@Softhenic03 I am not aware if scientists actually engineered blue roses now (like as of 2018 there were just some close calles with hybrid violetish ones). There was a common misconception in the past about blue roses growing in China but in fact they were just dyed (the similar trick as the one MaoMao showed here).

Also, a bit of a trivia. MaoMao mentioned this episode that main ingridrients for common nail polisher used by courtesans are balsam and woodsorrel aka "cats paw". MaoMaos name translates as "little cat". It is not a coincidence.
Nachtwandler_21Mar 9, 11:50 AM
Mar 9, 11:48 AM

Jan 2016
Seeing everyone from the Inner Palace again made me nostalgic already. Maomao teaching about poison mushrooms to a baby is so like her lol

All of that suffering doing overnights just so Lakan fails his provocation at them and Maomao backs at him indrectly with the red nails trend, wonder if it was just a coincidence so the crystal pavillion girls would lose their attentions at her or aiming for Lakan.. who knows. What a big win for her!

The cliffganger ahhhhhh, can't wait for next episode... Finally Maomao confronts Lakan face to face
RyushindaiMar 9, 11:52 AM
Mar 9, 11:56 AM

Jul 2017
The Spring has come: Gyokuyou is confirmed pregnant with another child to take care of, and Maomao...is back to her usual poisonous tendencies.

Lakan once again proposes a thing for Jinshi: blue roses for the next garden party, and unfortunately, it's not in season. Looking at Jinshi however, Maomao instantly knows that it's Lakan throwing a challenge at her again, and she takes up the mantle, this time visiting Lady Lihua and building roses in a condensed room. But the injury to her leg has not subsided, and 100 flowerpots to force roses to grow in a room like a greenhouse, Xiaolan renders her help. Be it day or night, rain or shine, patience is virtue, and the servants onlooking Maomao and Xiaolan's nails for fashion, it's a trend.

After some time, they finally have a bud, to which Maomao heaves a sigh of relief. With the garden party, Concubine Loulan's indoctrination and the various coloured roses (including bluue) offered to the Emperor via Jinshi, the case is over. Maomao knew that she could not get them in time, so dyeing them in dye water made sense, with the hard part being its blooming, which the Emperor was interested to know the formula.

Now, it's finally time for Maomao to face her own father head-on, no more flamboying around.
Mar 9, 11:59 AM

Apr 2015
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the cliffhanger, why?!?!?!?

So much reveals are about to happen, i can't wait.
Mar 9, 12:00 PM
Feb 2024
Lingli’s adorable, I hope we get to see more of her 🥰
I kind of want to put her, Anya, and Neema in a room together and watch the adorable chaos unfold.

Maomao figuring out just who requested the blue roses and getting fired up because of it was awesome. I love how Jinshi freaked out over Maomao’s wound reopening (*≧∀≦*), I’m glad Xiaolan got brought in. The way all the eunuchs freaked out over a caterpillar made me smile, I find it hilarious how she just casually picked it up. At 13:25 she made a really happy/tired face in the manga, I’m a little sad they cut that part out, but they were still adorable 🥰

Maomao worked really hard and I’m so happy that it paid off, the roses were gorgeous despite not having been given a lot of time to bloom! Between her wound and exhaustion, Maomao deserves a good long rest so she has enough strength and spunk to keep Jinshi on his toes later on
ψ(`∇´)ψ

In the manga, Lakan accidentally grabbed the hat/wig because he was half asleep, not to wipe his hands 😅 was it different in the LNs? I thought it was funny, but I am curious as to why it was changed
Mar 9, 12:06 PM

Dec 2007
FoodstampDayo said:
Is it me or does mao look a bit of art wise the last 2 eps? THis ep when she got called in by jinshi. Like they tried to make her look more asian or something?xd +blush shots

no. they were going for utterly exhausted... she is supposed to be completely sleep deprived and lost a lot of weight during this episode. that's also why Jinshi makes a remark about Maomao being the one apologising, as he feels he should be the one apologising for what she went through to get him the roses.
Mar 9, 12:06 PM

Feb 2019
Only two more eps left of peak 😩. Another really good kusuriya episode.

Poor Jinshi tried to take on Lakan’s blue rose challenge, but just couldn’t find any. Lakan definitely knew Jinshi would turn to Maomao for help, so it was an indirect way to challenge her. S/O to Maomao for stepping up to the challenge.

As you’d expect with Lakan, it was anything but straightforward. Only someone with Maomao’s ingenuity would’ve thought to dye the roses. Came at a heavy cost though. By the end of the episode we see the toll it’s taken on her. Her wound opened back up, she’s clearly sleep deprived and has lost quite a bit of weight. Opportunity to show up Lakan was just to great to pass up though. You could tell Jinshi felt bad at the end for having Maomao go thru all of this. Felt like he should’ve been the one apologising.

Maomao got everyone in the palace wearing nail polish now. No coincidence that one of the ingredients is called cat’s paw, when “Maomao” translates to “little cat” nice play on words there.

We did get to see a little glimpse into Lakan’s mind as well. He sees everyone as pawns in a game, explains why bro literally wiped his hands on that dude’s hat during the festival lmao. Maomao’s the only face he notices in the crowd.. I can’t wait to see how their direct meeting goes next week.
Marinate1016Mar 9, 12:59 PM
Mar 9, 12:07 PM
Jun 2023
Let's go! Best girl Xiaolan has returned!!
Mar 9, 12:09 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode!

Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Mar 9, 12:10 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to Dayan
FoodstampDayo said:

no. they were going for utterly exhausted... she is supposed to be completely sleep deprived and lost a lot of weight during this episode. that's also why Jinshi makes a remark about Maomao being the one apologising, as he feels he should be the one apologising for what she went through to get him the roses.
@Dayan I meant before that tho
Mar 9, 12:12 PM

Dec 2007
FoodstampDayo said:
@Dayan I meant before that tho

ah, didn't notice it on Maomao particularly, although I did catch a few occasions where characters were not as carefully drawn as usual... maybe they rushed it for some reason...
Mar 9, 12:43 PM

Jul 2012
That was a neat lesson in floristry.
Mar 9, 12:48 PM

May 2020
another amazing episode as always
maomao is such a good protagonist
can't wait for more

Mar 9, 12:49 PM

Mar 2023
good job by mao, as usual.
only 2 episodes left, hope this gets a season 2 announced when it finishes
Mar 9, 1:34 PM

May 2019
The way the white roses were dyed blue was pretty clever and convincing. Also, itt was nice to see Xiaolan again after a while and her helping Maomao with the roses was great.

With the roses out of the way it looks like Maomao is going to confront her father and possibly challenge him to a game with presumably the winner doing something for the loser.
Mar 9, 1:41 PM

Mar 2008
This is "Native Isekai", and Xiaomao don't have the excuse of being from another world.

Just two more episodes.
Hope no more mysteries and inventions, just character stories and relationships now, that is the good part in this series.
Mar 9, 1:55 PM

Dec 2023
Another solid episode.
So Lakhan is basically the Chinese version of Ayanokoji from Cote. Interesting...
Mar 9, 3:15 PM
Oct 2010
Mess with the kitty, you get the claws. Looks like she's going to get another chance to take a swipe at the creepy old man at the last, should make for a satisfying finale to a (hopefully) first season.
Mar 9, 4:01 PM
Dec 2023
This is good, but after seeing the prievew of the next episode, I KNOW it's gonna be amazing
Mar 9, 4:23 PM

Jun 2020
I thought that blue roses would be a symbol and Lakan asked Jinshi to get them knowing he would ask Maomao and that she would know what it meant.
"
Mar 9, 4:44 PM

Sep 2016
The next 2 episodes have the potential to be the best of the entire series.
Mar 9, 4:46 PM

Jan 2008
Maomao is quite the trendsetter 💅

Did the guy who had his hat used as a napkin not notice it being taken off his head by Lakan behind him? Or maybe he was just forced to keep up appearances and continue to face forward due to a table manners thing.
Mar 9, 5:15 PM
Mar 2019
Maomao is making her move. This will prove to be interesting.
Mar 9, 5:20 PM

Apr 2022
not maomao drawing something she has an obsession with lmao. always great to see xiaolan. maomao was standing on business at the end, only 2 episodes left damn.
Mar 9, 5:41 PM
Jun 2007
I wonder if that bit at the end about how Lakan sees others (Except for MaoMao) is just to show us the audience how twisted his mind really is that he views others like that, or if it's some form of prosopagnosia.
Either way, it's interesting that MaoMao is an exception in his eyes.
Mar 9, 5:42 PM

May 2018
I like how Maomao lately is starting to use her connections in the palace more intensely, can pull some fashion strings (is she an influencer now?) and even takes counter measures (like explaining the colouring thing to the emperor beforehand).

Also changing the natural colour of flowers must be some sort of meitantei trope, since this is at least the third detective show using this I know of.
Mar 9, 6:41 PM

Apr 2013
Reply to alshu
I like how Maomao lately is starting to use her connections in the palace more intensely, can pull some fashion strings (is she an influencer now?) and even takes counter measures (like explaining the colouring thing to the emperor beforehand).

Also changing the natural colour of flowers must be some sort of meitantei trope, since this is at least the third detective show using this I know of.
@alshu And interestingly one I can list had her detective character voiced by Aoi Yuuki as well (GOSICK (episode 9) with Victorique).
Mar 9, 7:01 PM
Mar 2019
So that's how they did nails, back then.
Mar 9, 7:27 PM
Mar 2015
Beating her father at his own game is great
Mar 9, 7:52 PM

Mar 2007
Hothouse roses dyed in blue, all to indirectly compete with her asshole of a father.

Maomao, I salute you, you're quite a competitor!
Mar 9, 8:23 PM

Nov 2010
This episode would be another unpopular one next to the one of last week; that's what people call filler. My guess is that the author tried to guide audience to intended path of his/hers:
  • paper issue --> letter
  • redeem issue --> prostitute town and its system
  • letter + prostitute town's system --> Pairin --> MaoMao's irritation for Lakan
  • rose --> manicure --> MaoMao's finger --> confrontation to Lakan
I'm not sure if it's working or not.
kuroneko99Mar 9, 8:26 PM
Mar 9, 8:48 PM

Aug 2022
It's a shame that the episode ends when the two of them meet.

Maomao worked hard as usual, making blue roses for the party. We also see a little bit about Lakan. Not much, BUT in the next episode we'll find out MORE about him.

Mar 9, 9:24 PM

Jun 2023
Maomao showing a poison mushroom to a baby is so Maomao.
Mar 9, 9:31 PM
Dec 2023
i can't describe it, but this episode captured the essence of the first cour that i really enjoyed. don't get me wrong, i'm all for the lore and character progression and stuff, but i personally liked the first half more. the best way i can put it into words is, vibes lol.

anyway, really liked this one, the "vibes" really hit for me.
Mar 9, 11:47 PM
Sep 2014
I find it really interesting how Lakan sees the world. Almost devoid of care to anyone, he sees most people as simple Go stones, military people as simple soldiers or knights and such if their rank is high. But then we see Jinshi Maomao and Gaoshun, and they are all different. Gaoshun has 仕 for civil service, or for the more interesting of serving, so serving Jinshi. He himself is Lakan's eyes have 相 for minister, or maybe for rivalry? and of course in the end, Maomao is the only one he fully sees as a person.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

266 by grandy_UiD »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

120 by Sugram22 »»
Jun 17, 2:06 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

165 by Sugram22 »»
Jun 17, 1:19 AM

» Does this ever get good? ( 1 2 )

El_Jiro - Jun 13

68 by bassbabe »»
Jun 16, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

205 by LotteGiants »»
Jun 13, 2:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.