Forum Settings
Forums

how is Demon Slayer considered 'meh' when every season it aired, it was the #1 anime ?

New
Apr 10, 2023 8:36 PM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
why is that people think Demon Slayer is boring and bad yet it has such high scores and stats ... I mean people say SAO is bad and it score is BAD ...
and do you think only ANIMATION made it get that high of points ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 2023 8:45 PM

Jul 2021
Just because people have their own opinions and value is of course subjective. And when something is popular, more people will yell and scream their different opinions and someone will inevitably be heard.
Apr 10, 2023 9:01 PM

Oct 2014
Fun fact: normies tend not to have great taste. Kny has been watched mostly by people who haven't seen much anime, and without much to compare it to they're easily impressed. Veteran fans tend to rate it lower, but since there's fewer of them watching Kny even if they might fairly rate it a 6 or 7 that's not going to make a dent in its high score.

Also, SAO used to be rated really high until it became a meme to shit on it. When I joined MAL in 2014 it was rated 8.2. I doubt Kny will achieve that kind of meme status of being "the worst anime of all time" by roughly the same crowd of people who used to praise it since, mediocre as it is, the standout animation still makes it incredibly appealing for a certain audience and the writing doesn't have blatant flaws in it in the same way that SAO does.
Apr 10, 2023 9:03 PM

Mar 2023
The animation hardcore carried the show. If it weren't for the animation, then we'd be left with the completely awful characters. Demon Slayer is truly the anime of all time.

───ˋˏ🍔ˎˊ───

𝙱𝚞𝚛𝚐𝚎𝚛 💫

───ˋˏ🍔ˎˊ───
Apr 10, 2023 9:06 PM

May 2019
It was just hype and recency bias, when the dust settles people realize how average it is, its only saving grace is the high quality animation.
Apr 10, 2023 9:18 PM
Jul 2021
All i have to say is, see the manga rating, it's rated 8.25 which is not bad but nowhere nearly as good as the anime's rating.(it was rated 7.84 before s1 came out)That's more than enough proof it's carried by animations
As someone above said, veteran fans don't really care about ultra good animations if the story is bad, which is unfortunately not true for new bandwagon fans .
Some of the best shows came before 2010 and have worse animations than today's standards.
Also one thing kny loves to do is always do smth at the end of the season to please people and forget everything that happened before it
Like no one talked about kny before the mountain arc, mugen train first part was horrible and only became better after akaza's entry
S2 had absolutely 0 story except an amazing fight at the end.
And people tend to forget everything that happened before and rate it incredibly high.
Apr 10, 2023 9:24 PM

Dec 2018
How can people have an opinion on something when other people don't hold the same opinion? How is this possible?
Apr 10, 2023 9:27 PM

Jan 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
Fun fact: normies tend not to have great taste. Kny has been watched mostly by people who haven't seen much anime, and without much to compare it to they're easily impressed. Veteran fans tend to rate it lower, but since there's fewer of them watching Kny even if they might fairly rate it a 6 or 7 that's not going to make a dent in its high score.

Also, SAO used to be rated really high until it became a meme to shit on it. When I joined MAL in 2014 it was rated 8.2. I doubt Kny will achieve that kind of meme status of being "the worst anime of all time" by roughly the same crowd of people who used to praise it since, mediocre as it is, the standout animation still makes it incredibly appealing for a certain audience and the writing doesn't have blatant flaws in it in the same way that SAO does.

Veterans who? Those who watched 2999 shitty isekai or reeptitive romcom or melodramatic teens elitist's "masterpiece"? Sincerely watching many anime doesn't upgrade their taste since the majority of anime belittles the brain of the fans.
Ah , fun fact: the score of demon slayer is also high because of the "veterans" , because even though it has not the best characters neither the best story but it has its uniqueness, otherwise you can call the millions of people who liked it over the world stupid normies with bad taste and feeling superior to the majority because you watched many shows with "shinjis" crying and melodramatic tsunderes.
Apr 10, 2023 9:39 PM

Oct 2014
Yaaceen said:
zombie_pegasus said:

Veterans who? Those who watched 2999 shitty isekai or reeptitive romcom or melodramatic teens elitist's "masterpiece"? Sincerely watching many anime doesn't upgrade their taste since the majority of anime belittles the brain of the fans.
Ah , fun fact: the score of demon slayer is also high because of the "veterans" , because even though it has not the best characters neither the best story but it has its uniqueness, otherwise you can call the millions of people who liked it over the world stupid normies with bad taste and feeling superior to the majority because you watched many shows with "shinjis" crying and melodramatic tsunderes.
It is a boring show, though. You claim it has uniqueness, but imo it really doesn't, and most people would agree that it's a very standard battle shounen. Even people who like the show say that its value is in its execution more than its actual content, that despite being very generic it manages to pull it off better than other shows in its genre. I personally don't like battle shounen in generical, though, but that is the genre that people tend to gravitate towards when they're new to anime, or even if they aren't interested in going deeper into anime but just watch battle shounen since it hits most of the same notes that a lot of popular Western movies do as well.
Apr 10, 2023 9:53 PM

Jan 2018
zombie_pegasus said:
Yaaceen said:

It is a boring show, though. You claim it has uniqueness, but imo it really doesn't, and most people would agree that it's a very standard battle shounen. Even people who like the show say that its value is in its execution more than its actual content, that despite being very generic it manages to pull it off better than other shows in its genre. I personally don't like battle shounen in generical, though, but that is the genre that people tend to gravitate towards when they're new to anime, or even if they aren't interested in going deeper into anime but just watch battle shounen since it hits most of the same notes that a lot of popular Western movies do as well.

Originality is not synonymous with quality, and me too I'm done with battle shonen and kimetsu is just one of them with no originality but as I said before it has its undeniable qualities .
If just new fans liked it then how to explain its huge huge success in japan? the Japanese (those who create anime we love so much and gatekeep) have suddenly become newcomers in the medium? You'll maybe say it has succes only with kids, but it's really not true.
Apr 10, 2023 10:05 PM

May 2012
too mainstream. and tbh, the stoy/plot and neither their character development nor their background is that interesting.

ufotable just makes the most out of it
if you want good story, read novel. if you want good graphic, read manga. anime is beyond that.
Apr 10, 2023 10:09 PM
Nov 2021
I mean dress up darling was #1 (in 1 way or the other) when demon slayer and AoT were airing. But this is the thing of anime everyone has their preferences, and no anime is objectively the best. It is all subjective.
Apr 10, 2023 10:24 PM

Oct 2018
Simple words: CARRIED BY ANIMATION

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Apr 10, 2023 10:28 PM
Jul 2018
The haters are just more vocal than the ones who enjoy Demon Slayer. The fans of it likely just chill and wait in anticipation for subsequent seasons to air. While the rest got nothing better to do than to hate on it for being another shounen anime that gets more love and attention than their favorites.
Apr 10, 2023 10:42 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Are you getting paid to sing false songs praising Demon Slayer by UFOtables?

Like wow I've never seen a anime about vengeful main guy slaying demons or an Anime where characters use katana fused with superpower...
That has to be the most original idea ever, absolute genius!! Yay Yay Demon Slayer greatest ever..

Apr 10, 2023 10:47 PM

Oct 2021
Since when 7.20 score considered as bad?
Apr 10, 2023 10:50 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
TheFireNinja said:
The haters are just more vocal than the ones who enjoy Demon Slayer. The fans of it likely just chill and wait in anticipation for subsequent seasons to air. While the rest got nothing better to do than to hate on it for being another shounen anime that gets more love and attention than their favorites.

You're are right about that....they can't seem to accept the revolutionary premise and the newest idea in anime to slay Demons and superpower katana out of vengeance..like has anyone ever saw any anime about killing demons? This is the first.. Or fire powered katana... Man this is the best, I wonder how they come up with such genius, original idea... Greatest Manga of all time.

I mean thats the most original plot ever..

Apr 10, 2023 10:53 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
EdgyLord666 said:
Since when 7.20 score considered as bad?

UFOtable has to consider the scores on Mal by 12 years olds as the yardstick for success.. Scores on Mal is the very thing that makes or breaks the whole industry..

Apr 10, 2023 11:00 PM

May 2018
It's not really that bad, that's true, but it's just that it's too simple to please anime fans. Some good art and animation, characters fighting for their lives and good production values overall. Just take a look at Bleach for example, people didn't even care that much about the Thousand-Year Blood War in the manga, the story basically died after Aizen, but then it got a new and refreshing adaptation and boom, top chart on MAL and the entire world on the hype train.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 10, 2023 11:01 PM
Aug 2021
I'm not sure why I feel this way, but it usually seems like all the battle scenes in the show are formulaic and repetitive. They use different, unique, and good animations but it doesn't detract from the strung-out repetitive fights that get done each time, the superficial archetypal characters that get juxtaposed between recovery arcs as comedy relief, and then super serious with ad-hoc plot armor (no need to go crazy about this since it's a shounen but should be mentioned). All of this is encapsulated in good animation though. I'd say that comparing this to SAO is a bit strange as they don't share many similarities besides both at one point being mainstream.
Apr 10, 2023 11:07 PM
Jul 2018
ryo-san said:
TheFireNinja said:

You're are right about that....they can't seem to accept the revolutionary premise and the newest idea in anime to slay Demons and superpower katana out of vengeance..like has anyone ever saw any anime about killing demons? This is the first.. Or fire powered katana... Man this is the best, I wonder how they come up with such genius, original idea... Greatest Manga  of all time.

I never said anything about it being original or that people should accept it as such. But with that being, what are most shows that are original these days? A lot of TV shows borrow ideas from each other. Even as far as American entertainment these days, I'm seeing a regression to settings and entertainment elements of previous decades and reboots of old shows. If you don't like Demon Slayer because you're tired of the elements in it, that's fine. But I don't know why most people continue watching it when they know they don't like it and tend not to have a high opinion of shounen series. I don't know whether these people are masochists or don't see the hypocrisy in their actions. I get that some people are completionists and want to see if they can get any enjoyment out of their journey. But if that's the case, why not suffer through it in silence? They made the decision for themselves to suffer through a series because they're so concerned about people invalidating their opinions for not watching a series through. So, why should they spoil the entertainment for others?
Apr 10, 2023 11:08 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
TheFireNinja said:
ryo-san said:

You're are right about that....they can't seem to accept the revolutionary premise and the newest idea in anime to slay Demons and superpower katana out of vengeance..like has anyone ever saw any anime about killing demons? This is the first.. Or fire powered katana... Man this is the best, I wonder how they come up with such genius, original idea... Greatest Manga  of all time.

I never said anything about it being original or that people should accept it as such. But with that being, what are most shows that are original these days? A lot of TV shows borrow ideas from each other. Even as far as American entertainment these days, I'm seeing a regression to settings and entertainment elements of previous decades and reboots of old shows. If you don't like Demon Slayer because you're tired of the elements in it, that's fine. But I don't know why most people continue watching it when they know they don't like it and tend not to have a high opinion of shounen series. I don't know whether these people are masochists or don't see the hypocrisy in their actions. I get that some people are completionists and want to see if they can get any enjoyment out of their journey. But if that's the case, why not suffer through it in silence? They made the decision for themselves to suffer through a series because they're so concerned about people invalidating their opinions for not watching a series through. So, why should they spoil the entertainment for others?

Why are you arguing when I'm saying it's the greatest show on earth?

Apr 10, 2023 11:09 PM

May 2018
"when every season it aired, it was the #1 anime"

This is how you know it's meh, people love meh.

"I mean people say SAO is bad and it score is BAD"

When its first season aired, it was on the top.
Apr 10, 2023 11:14 PM

Oct 2013
soniyay said:
why is that people think Demon Slayer is boring and bad yet it has such high scores and stats ... I mean people say SAO is bad and it score is BAD ...

Vocal minority =/= majority. Most of people who watch and enjoy Demon Slayer simply... enjoy the show, even if they see cons of it. There are also people who are target audience of this show, and they are enjoying this anime for multiple reasons: likeable cast, top-notch animation, good looking art.

Of course, I can imagine fans of, let's say, romcoms not enjoying this anime, as much as - on the contrary - shounen fans might dislike romcoms.

zombie_pegasus said:

Who is a normie? Who is a veteran? What are the very factors of taste, allowing to determine whether one's taste is "good" or "bad"? What kind of number is considered as seeing enough of anime to be considered as somebody "allowed by elite anime demigods" to share their opinion on a show?

Yaaceen said:

Yeah, nowadays it's pretty much this. Generalizing people is bad, of course, but I also noticed, just like you said, how so-called "anime veterans" are usually called like that by themselves, and usually base their "supreme taste" on watching an enormous number of repetitive, generic even, animated shows belonging to the same genre; they also have hundreds of entries on their anime lists, due to how said shows tend to have a lot of specials or OVAs. Well, everyone can enjoy whatever they want to. However, first of all, quantity does not equal quality; and secondly, it's not an elegant thing to do to banter on regular basis on how "my favorite animes are better than yours!!1". I see so-called "self-proclaimed anime veterans" doing it quite often, huh.

Yaaceen said:

According to many "anime veterans with supreme taste", if you don't like their favorite anime or anime, and/or you like certain mainstream show, then you are a normie. ;) If somebody is target audience of a show, then it's even worse - they "dare" to enjoy a series that was created with having their taste in mind! And they might not like grumpy folks jumping into a conversation only to say how a certain anime is shitty, how its fanbase is "mid", and how it's painful to watch each next season despite hating the show (yeah, I don't get why people waste their time on sequels of shows they didn't like).
Apr 10, 2023 11:16 PM
Jul 2018
ryo-san said:
TheFireNinja said:

Why are you arguing when I'm saying it's the greatest show on earth?
I'm sorry. I didn't know if you were using sarcasm. I run into that a lot sometimes from people on here. My bad.
Apr 10, 2023 11:22 PM

Oct 2020
cause elitists exists. I thought demon slayer was a pretty fun anime . I enjoyed it a lot . It doesnt try to be deep and edgy but it still has some great emotional moments and the animation was fire . it has a simple story and plot that can be enjoyed by any age of audience i think that also contributes to its popularity . Also the fandom is pretty chill and not that cringe thats always a plus for me unlike your chainsawmans and MHAs
Apr 10, 2023 11:41 PM

Jan 2018
@adnash
What I've never understood is why these people watch thousands of animes that they didn't like. I mean the majority of them have a mean score below 4 or 3.
If watching many animes upgrade your taste so how can be the majority of these shows bullshit and repetitive?
Apr 10, 2023 11:45 PM

Mar 2020
soniyay said:

Because MAL scores don’t actually mean anything. Most of the anime found on MAL’s top 100 are bad but have high scores because the general normie audience has no idea what they’re doing with their scores
Apr 10, 2023 11:48 PM

Oct 2010
it's not a bad anime, it's just that when you already watched 20 battle shounen, kimetsu will appear kinda boring
I don't really like it but Mitsuri is hot
Apr 11, 2023 2:00 AM

Jun 2016
People like cool explosions I guess. Can't blame them, I like cool explosions too.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 11, 2023 2:11 AM

Sep 2018
If we call A = "the level of appreciation shown by the mainstream audience" and B = "the level of appreciation shown by those who have a bit more experience than the average watcher", the difference between A and B is not the same for every anime even though the global rankings are mostly determined by A. Demon Slayer was indeed ranked much lower on RedditAnimeList (a subset of MAL users with a lower mean score), too bad that the site is down at the moment.
Apr 11, 2023 2:18 AM

Feb 2014
Because Demon Slayer is not polarizing. SAO is a polarizing show, half the people give it a 10, the other half gives it a 1. Demon Slayer is not very polarizing, the average anime watcher who considers it "meh" will still give it a 7 while the hardcore fans give it a 10. So it ends up with a higher score overall.
Apr 11, 2023 2:21 AM

Sep 2010
Guess what rank Sword Art Online was when it aired..
Apr 11, 2023 2:35 AM

Jul 2021
No, it's not just animation. It's mostly just animation. What little else is there is kinda underwhelming precisely because it has such a high score and it's held in such a high regard.
Apr 11, 2023 2:43 AM

Sep 2015
Demon Slayer being considered 'meh' is mostly because people are hypocrites.

KnY is excellently done and it is entertaining AF. It has a decent story with pretty fine characters, plus magnificent animation and soundtracks/songs.

If you're only rating shows based on a story perspective, go read a book.
Apr 11, 2023 2:55 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
the easy answer is that it isn't considered 'meh', not really.

of course there are people that do and they are very vocal about it (as you can even see in this very thread), but they don't really represent the average fan and despite what they might claim, their opinion isn't any more valid than that fan.

and no, i don't think "only" animation got it so far, but sure, it wouldn't be as popular, or as beloved, if it didn't have such an impressive production. 

though in general i think the "carried by animation" comments and this idea of completely separating between visuals and writing is pretty dumb and makes very little sense. the story and the characters become more impactful, moving and you get more invested in them due to the presentation of the audio-visual work done by the people behind the show.

that is to say, that the great animation and production emphasizes and enhances everything that was great, or that could have been great about the source and in my opinion, if there hadn't been anything there in the first place, it would never blow up like this.

anime is a holistic experience, where the writing, sound, visuals and so on are connected and synergize with one another and personally, i think demon slayer is a pretty great one at that. maybe if you ignore that and look at some of the show's components individually, it makes this particular show look worse than it actually is, but i don't see a reason to do that other than to make myself look cool by hating on something popular. not to say that there aren't reasons to criticize or dislike the show, but as stated, i diagree with that particular attitude. 
Apr 11, 2023 3:03 AM

Nov 2018
Catalano said:
it's not a bad anime, it's just that when you already watched 20 battle shounen, kimetsu will appear kinda boring
I don't really like it but Mitsuri is hot

Overrated, most often claimed as “one of the best shounen animes” when its not. And yes, agreed with Cata, Mitsuri got em melons 🥵 
˗ˏˋ ꒰ ♡ ꒱ ˎˊ˗ 𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓊𝓂 𝓈𝒾𝑔 𝒷𝓎 𝓂𝑒! | ━─━────༺༻────━─━ | 𝑜𝓀𝒶𝒶-𝓈𝒶𝓃 𝑜𝓃𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑒 wise ˗ˏˋ ꒰ ♡ ꒱ ˎˊ˗
Apr 11, 2023 3:16 AM

Feb 2016
It not that bad, but mediocre or too simplistic for many long time anime fans. I mean everyone here is just going to say carried by animation and story is bad. Basically all style no substance. Not to mention its super mainstream and they're better shounen anime out there honestly.
zombie_pegasus said:
Kny has been watched mostly by people who haven't seen much anime, and without much to compare it to they're easily impressed.

To be fair, its really true. Many people who just got into anime will tend to rate the scores really high. That's why you see many new shows like CSM or JJK rated really high from either due to hype or new anime fans/casuals/normies. 
Apr 11, 2023 4:15 AM

Jan 2009
like it or not the mainstream fans are more easy to please than the elitists that are vocal minority here on MAL

its the same with Hollywood movies when critics hated movies like Venom and the new movie of Super Mario but the mainstream fans actually loves them
Apr 11, 2023 4:31 AM

Jul 2016
The people who consider it 'meh' don't represent the whole fanbase. As with any media (like movies, music, and sports) the online hate represents a small portion of how majority of people feel. I also agree how people who enjoy Demon Slayer are likely to have it as their first shounen. It reminds me of how people who have rated DBZ or Naruto highly haven't watched other anime. 
Apr 11, 2023 4:54 AM
Apr 2022
bandwagon praising on twitter. Some twittards will just post "OMG DEMONG SLAYER IS THEBESST ANIMU EVURRRRRRRRR!!!!!" then people will easily get hypnotized for some reason and not complaining about the bait.
Apr 11, 2023 4:56 AM
Apr 2022
Not a fair comparison. SAO S1 first half was actually good, and at the time it was considered fairly original. You guys have to remember SAO is kind of where all the isekai hype and influx of isekai shows started. There were isekai shows before, obviously, and technically SAO isn't even isekai. But SAO is THE show about escapism from your current life and starting a new life in a fantasy sword and magic world, and it was the show that showed investors really just how popular isekai-escapism is for Japanese audience. SAO was good, until they start tentacle fondling and creepy guy licking almost every single lead female characters in the show, and those weird shit slapped people awake and started realizing the show is actually kinda trash.

KNY is a a fairly generic shonen plot, but it's also ufotable peak quality production, so it is true that it is a carried a lot by the animation. It also doesn't have weird tentacle play, and it has very very tame fan service which is actually a good thing for normies, since that's usually the stuff that push normies away from a show. It's like...... Transformer or Marvel comics, which are mostly for kids or nerdy adults, but Hollywood managed to turned it into mainstream normies theater materials with tons of explosions and cool fights. And there is nothing wrong with that.
whitebagelxyzApr 11, 2023 5:02 AM
Apr 11, 2023 5:08 AM

Mar 2021
A lot of people read the manga already. It has been out for a while and it not a long read. It didn't blow people's minds and largely just people fighting. The problem is largely anitube and people creating tier lists and automatically putting KNY in like S tier and kind of ignoring everything else. We have seen this insane score inflation with recent shows like Spy X Family, Chainsaw Man and Kaguya Sama. Spy X Family crashed so hard in polls and ratings you don't hear people calling the best of all time. Kaguya Sama performed so bad in disc sales and movies, it is like the people who praised to oblivion didn't even bother to show up to the main event. So recent hype shows have created an elitism in the anime community where your opinion is not accepted if you don't automatically this show is the best of all time. 
Apr 11, 2023 5:24 AM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
It is a very mid formulaic shonen with high production values, it's very popular among normies hence the inflated score.

Incessant Rain

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Apr 11, 2023 5:25 AM

Oct 2011
Recency bias is a thing. It may be the best of the season but overall it may not be good because many people are watching recent anime and not everyone will watch one of the good and better old anime all at the same time to upvote them.

It's also casual friendly, so for those who watch one or a few anime per season, it's usually on their list because it's one talked about a lot.
Apr 11, 2023 5:36 AM

Apr 2017
People like you for example, 240 days 517 finished

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Apr 11, 2023 5:36 AM
Nov 2021
Simple answer : Animation carries ,Popularity and begineer friendly.
Apr 11, 2023 5:44 AM

Oct 2017
I've started reading the manga a while back and it is pretty good, not anything like god tier but still really solid. I think it's main issue is that it isn't the most unique Shonen Jump series with it's storytelling reusing way too many tropes and mainly is popular for its artwork and animation quality for the anime which I think is worthy of praise. I personally rated the manga a 7 since I think that was a fair score balancing those elements out, although I do still need to watch the anime. I think the average person cares more about art quality than the story though which helps explain why it is popular sincei t is so aesthetically pleasing
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 11, 2023 6:02 AM

Sep 2022
Everything and their Nan is the "Number 1 X in the world" when it comes out lol
Apr 11, 2023 6:09 AM

Aug 2020
Because it is simply the best anime of all time.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime tropes - yay or nay

JoeChip - Yesterday

8 by Jackson1333 »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Best samurai anime

JoeChip - Yesterday

16 by KitsuFrost »»
2 minutes ago

» One person's trash, is another person's treasure

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

19 by LNW_R92CP »»
21 minutes ago

» Character(s) you would wrestle with if they were real

IpreferEcchi - Jun 9

5 by ST63LTH »»
32 minutes ago

» Can someone please help me fine the name of an old anime ( no pics available)

Karimhi - Jun 8

20 by Karimhi »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.