Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Tokyo Mew Mew
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 5, 2022 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
Not bad, the first impression I got was the more refined old school art-like style of the series. It seems Ichigo has a crush on Masaya from this episode and they even have a date. Too bad their date didn't go exactly as planned.

On the other hand, I think the episode made an impact with its magical girl elements and supernatural themes. Oh and I kinda like Mint in this episode, although I wish she put up more of a fight against that monster.

Jul 5, 2022 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
The "new" reboot of Reiko Yoshida's manga to celebrate the series' 20th anniversary, and it definitely has that early 2000s Shoujo and Mahou Shoujo feel where the genre was at its peak at the time.

This reboot-remake mix that definitely flexes on the old-school animation to give its appeal and renewal to the modern age and new fans. Even though female MC Ichigo Momomiya is the first to enter with her crush Masaya Aoyama (who's simultaneously the school idol) making the scene, she and 4 other girls (the other one introduced being the blue-haired Minto Aizawa) had the sudden push to the new world with the central 5 girls becoming DNA-infused Mew Mews to defeat monsters known as Chimera Animas. Too bad that Ichigo's date didn't go all that well, with an accidental first kiss.

The Mews Mews with butlers Ryo Shirogane and Akasaka Keiichiro and Café Mew Mew, this will be the base of operations for the Tokyo Mew Mew group.

Really, to all of you boomers, you don't know how anime was like back then (and no, I'm not considering Pokémon, Digimon, nor the like).
But to the millenials my age, this was anime back in our childhood days, the likes of Sailor Moon to even the unfaithful 2001 Fruits Basket adaptation. And getting to experience this old-school anime look remade modern, it has its fans for a reason.

Even as a retelling of Chapter 1 of the 7-volume manga, this was done magnificently well, and this, I say, would be a fine retelling of a once unique manga and Studio Pierrot's 2002-2003 anime.
KANLen09Jul 5, 2022 9:25 AM
Jul 5, 2022 8:48 AM
Dec 2021
Maybe just a bit too fast? It's weird that they basically already know each other and that Minto already knew about the Mew Mew Project.
Other than that, seems great! Looking forward to more episodes!
Jul 5, 2022 9:46 AM
Jan 2022
Finally, after 20 years since the OG version comes out
Jul 5, 2022 9:47 AM
Dec 2019
honestly i loved it for nostalgic reasons! for the first episode i do think it went waaaayyy too fast but i think they’re just trying to establish everything for 12 episodes? i hear it’s only 12 this season so i get it!
Jul 5, 2022 9:53 AM
Sep 2015
It's interesting that Aoyama's ideology integrate climate crisis and climate action, while the Mew mew group act as an actual climate justice. Even though I don't expect a shoujo story from 20 years ago to have a strong politically correct message (as compare to newer magical girl like Precure), but the first episode gets my hope up.
Jul 5, 2022 10:17 AM
Dec 2012
I am OBSESSED. I loved the original TMM in middle school. My first ever "girlfriend" and I really bonded over it, and I wish she were alive to see this because she would have loved it.

I am SO happy they gave Ichigo's school friends actual personalities. It seems like everyone's characters so far are much more developed and well-rounded, and I'm excited to see where that goes. I'm especially interested in the changes to Mint's character - they seem to be making her a Sailor Venus type of character, and while I'll miss the bratty rich little lesbian if they move away from that, I do like the dynamic between her and Ichigo better so far.

The updated character designs are also SO cute, especially Moe and Pudding's. and Aoyama's voice is so much more pleasant and fitting of the character, IMO. I'm so unbelievably emotional today over this show, and can't WAIT to see how things develop!
Jul 5, 2022 10:18 AM
Dec 2012
EricchiYukia said:
Maybe just a bit too fast? It's weird that they basically already know each other and that Minto already knew about the Mew Mew Project.
Other than that, seems great! Looking forward to more episodes!

I'm wondering if this is going to be a shorter series to test if interest is still here, so they made changes to condense to one season to start?
Jul 5, 2022 10:19 AM

Apr 2011
I love it. I LOVE IT!

I'm Pudding again. Nobody else in my friend group can be Pudding bc *I'm* Pudding.
Jul 5, 2022 10:19 AM
Dec 2012
raifuresu said:
I love it. I LOVE IT!

I'm Pudding again. Nobody else in my friend group can be Pudding bc *I'm* Pudding.

literally me lmao
Jul 5, 2022 10:31 AM

Jan 2013
The original anime was one of my favorite Magical Girl anime so this was a nice upgrade.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Jul 5, 2022 10:33 AM

Apr 2012
really good start, 1st ep met almost all of my expectations for this "reboot"!

slightly disappointed with Takanashi Yasuharu being the OST composer for this anime - his music IS really, really good but y'know, when Ichigo did her henshin i had a feeling i was watching some damned Sailor Moon Crystal ep)).

nevertheless, i'm so waiting for next ep!
To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
Jul 5, 2022 10:33 AM

Feb 2017
It was quite nice. Turned out better than I expected and Ichigo's henshin is awesome!
I see that the anime will be 12 episodes. Seems kinda pointless if it will be that short but we'll see.
Jul 5, 2022 10:55 AM

Jul 2011
Is good that is the old school design. Because the whole episode, I was imagining if was a more recent portrait, Aoyama design would be a hipster with a samurai hairstyle.
Jul 5, 2022 11:03 AM

Jan 2012
Amazing how they reused the "Its show time" catchphrase from 2002 show OP and changed it to "Show time again" for new opening, its a smail detail but really makes you smile.
Jul 5, 2022 11:12 AM

Oct 2011
my childhood anime is back 😭
Jul 5, 2022 11:40 AM

Jun 2021
I like this late 90s/early 2000s aesthetics a lot. Not too familiar with this series, but I’m digging it. It’s kinda like Captain Planet with magical (cat)girls, and I’ve got a thing for catgirls so I’m sold haha. We’ve only really gotten to meet the mc, but she seems like a lovable goofball. The “good guys” base of operations being a maid cafe is also pretty fun. Maid catgirls? Yes please lol.

All in all, this looks like it’ll be a fun and silly anime. I’ll catch a few more eps, but I think I’ll be following this one weekly too.
Jul 5, 2022 12:26 PM
Feb 2021
I got so nostalgic seeing this. I liked this first episode, adorable ending too!
Jul 5, 2022 12:35 PM

Aug 2013
Beautiful character design. I really miss design like this. They are really trying to keep the old school vibe. Even with voice acting.
OP song is great btw.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 5, 2022 12:40 PM

Jan 2021
This was the only thing I've been looking forward to all year and it delivered. Ichigo continues to make wacky faces so they got the most important part right.
Jul 5, 2022 12:49 PM
Mar 2022
Damn this feels so old
Jul 5, 2022 1:41 PM

Mar 2021
I feel like I'm in elementary school again :')
Jul 5, 2022 2:03 PM

Feb 2019
This episode was just an excessively bland magical girl affair, and not the subversive kind where one or more are secretly murderers, or the whole thing is a plot to harvest their souls to feed the magic space goat in the sky. Heck, not even the random out-of-place over-animation that Pretty Cure will randomly do just to keep the sakuga bloggers on their toes. Just the absolutely generic crap you'd expect to find on Saturday morning pitching sparkly plastic toys to eight year olds. She gets shot with the magical girl-ification beam which gives her cat ears and a frilly dress. There is a large rat. She beats it by waving a tambourine in its general direction and doing a little dance. As for the rest? BOYS, BOYS, BOYS!
Jul 5, 2022 2:28 PM

Jan 2015
Super nostalgic. I don't really remember the structure of the original series but there are some things I found strange. The exhibit scene seemed more generic and less trippy than what I remember.
Ichigo's hair color change is kind of offputting, and Mint's new hair style gives off a very different feel from the original. Strawbell Bell got the worst of it, it looks so weird with the fur texture.

Otherwise, it was pretty cute. I liked a lot of Ichigo's animations and the transformation sequence looked great. Thinking of rewatching the original sometime soon.
Jul 5, 2022 2:56 PM

Dec 2013
Pretty good, it takes me back to simpler times.
Jul 5, 2022 3:01 PM

May 2018
ngl I still can't believe we're getting a beautiful remake of this legendary 'I swear its not a shoujo' series. Will it be a full adaptation and will it be split into seasons?

Jul 5, 2022 3:06 PM

Aug 2018
At least it didn't made me rage-drop this from episode 1 from the get go which I feared I end up doing, so that's that's a start.
I still going to need to get used to these redesigns and what not.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Jul 5, 2022 3:24 PM

Jun 2016
Well, that escalated quite fast. All the events went by in a flash. From first crush, to first date, to first kiss and then to first fight. Development left, right and center here.

Animals on the verge of extinction. Nah, no way. We humans are delicate when it comes to the environment and animal security... We are, right?

Something about Ichigo's transformation seemed a bit, ahem, daring. Can't wait to see that another few hundred times.

Jul 5, 2022 3:29 PM

Sep 2015
Very nostalgic! fast paced ep but was a joy to watch. I appreciate the use of the old facial expressions that captures the early 2000s shoujo anime. Im hoping they decide to make this longer than 12 eps
Jul 5, 2022 3:31 PM
Jul 2015
I like it, I like it very much. Great character designs, nice animation, great voice acting.
Jul 5, 2022 3:37 PM

Sep 2008
that wasn't bad, I liked it more than the original anime. though I'm not the target audience and it shows.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jul 5, 2022 3:48 PM

Jun 2017
Fk, I was 9 when the OG came out. Time travelling here we go.
Liking this so far.
Jul 5, 2022 3:50 PM

Nov 2019
A lovely start to the TMM reboot, all the nostalgia is hitting waa

The art is beautiful, the VAs really do seem hand picked for their roles and the OP/EDs are great

Ichigo's moments of panic were hilarious and are charming to see, I'm already loving how this reboot is turning out right now

Can't wait for next week for more shenanigans
Jul 5, 2022 3:52 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
So from what I can tell is more less adapting ch. 1 of the manga but shuffling around scenes with the goal of streamlining events. Might work out for the best depending on how they continue going forward. guess this is not exactly a remake, more like hardcore reboot/re-imaging.
This was a very underrated show back in those days.First fruits basket, now this. won't be surprised if gakuen alice gets a new anime considering next year is the 20th anniversary of it's manga. We need more shoujo.
The original manga only has 7 volumes (33 chapters) + 2 volume sequel, and 2 chapter updated remastered piece.
So I'd say that should be more than enough for 12 eps.
Also original had non canon/filler eps to prolong it.

Jul 5, 2022 3:57 PM
Aug 2019
I always wanted to watch this but i'm too lazy to watch long series, so I'll rather watch this remake lol. The romance is kinda cheesy for me but besides that, the artstyle is really cute. I would have probably loved this if I watched it as a kid but i think i was born too late for that lol. Or it just didn't air here.
Jul 5, 2022 4:32 PM

Feb 2014
Well, that was a pretty standard first episode of a Magical Girls anime now, was it?
Nonetheless the excitement is still there, and it looks pretty nice too.
Jul 5, 2022 4:55 PM
Feb 2018
LittleWhiteHerz said:
I always wanted to watch this but i'm too lazy to watch long series, so I'll rather watch this remake lol. The romance is kinda cheesy for me but besides that, the artstyle is really cute. I would have probably loved this if I watched it as a kid but i think i was born too late for that lol. Or it just didn't air here.

this reboot just came out this year ( 2022) while the original anime came out in (2002)
Jul 5, 2022 5:14 PM

Aug 2013
Man it finally here I remember watching the original back in 2013 or 2014 and now 2022 I am watching the reboot and it was good start know that they change some stuff from the manga storyline but I love the transformation for Ichigo and can’t wait to see the other girls transformation which it the example of when reboot the magical girls anime just have different transformation unlike Sailor Moon Crystal (expect for season 3) don’t have to redo the original transformation scene.
Jul 5, 2022 5:20 PM
Aug 2019
Flowered_Moose said:
LittleWhiteHerz said:

this reboot just came out this year ( 2022) while the original anime came out in (2002)

Yeah I was born in 2002 so I was probably born too late for it lol
Jul 5, 2022 5:26 PM

Jul 2020
i think i prefer the vibe of the original, but this first episode was by no means bad. i'm excited for the next episodes!
Jul 5, 2022 6:05 PM
Jul 5, 2022 7:23 PM

Mar 2022
I'm loving the sort of old school 00's anime look they kept for this. Refreshing to watch and brings me back to better times. I'm excited to follow this anime. ^_^
Jul 5, 2022 8:13 PM

Aug 2020
So many details have been added. They changed it for a better way of experience. I didn't quite like Ichigo's voice and Aoyama's character design but I'll sure grow to love them as I watch this anime. So nostalgic

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jul 5, 2022 9:00 PM
May 2022
Totally new to Tokyo Mew Mew and Magical Girls anime, but it was really fun to watch this first episode. I am excited for the next one.
Random thought... It's been 20 years, and this show is somewhat about conservationism... Will this show use modern knowledge on environmental issues when it discusses conservationism, or will it use the same language from the original?
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Jul 5, 2022 9:03 PM

Dec 2018
Phenomenal way to start my Wednesday morning! While I never watched the original series growing up I can’t help but feel some nostalgia watching this lol. Super excited for next week ^.^
Jul 5, 2022 10:07 PM
Nov 2017
Not a fan of changing the manga to whatever the f this was. Reboot disappointment take 3. Can shoujo not get a faithful reboot the like of fma? The disaster that sailor moon crystal put me through is bad enough, I practically had an aneurysm during fruits basket final season and now the joy of this mess. At least it's a mess from episode 1 so I know what I'm getting. Less painful since I care significantly less about this as well. If they're gonna say f cannon maybe I can at least get the ryo route ending instead of bland boy. Worth watching for that possibility alone
Jul 5, 2022 10:42 PM
Aug 2012
SobbleBoy27 said:
Totally new to Tokyo Mew Mew and Magical Girls anime, but it was really fun to watch this first episode. I am excited for the next one.
Random thought... It's been 20 years, and this show is somewhat about conservationism... Will this show use modern knowledge on environmental issues when it discusses conservationism, or will it use the same language from the original?

The original only mentioned species that are going to extinct and protecting them. What the 5 girls do is fight mutant animals that aliens create. It isn't going to have anything about conservationism or protecting endangered species. It is about fighting aliens.

The original OP and ED are more catchy, but enjoy the new version. Episode 1 followed the original well. I dislike how they knew the 5 girls that they needed, the original had Ichigo search for the other 4. Ichigo was more sure of herself in the first battle and Minte was more reserved in the original.

Hoping this is 26 episodes at least, though hard to compact 52 episodes into 26.
Jul 5, 2022 10:53 PM

Apr 2016
This will be coming from someone who loves the original TMM to death (not because of nostalgia either, saw it first time in 2019). It left a decent impression on me, there were some things I liked more than the original, like there's definitely some actual foreshadowing to events that happen later down the line absent in the original series, and I love how expressive Ichigo is. The animation really highlights that, she's so adorable.

The art-style is definitely more refined, but tbh I still like the original's more. Sure, it's rough but it has it's charm I can't get enough of. But who knows, give it 20 years and I might be saying the same thing about this series when 2020s nostalgia is huge.

Mint was... interesting, it has been a few years since I saw the original so maybe my memory is rusty but she really doesn't seem anything like her original counterpart. But given how she left the least impression on me of the original cast, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I guess if there's anything that has me raising an eyebrow it's Ichigo's crush on Aoyama. It seems really superficial, with how she's more in love with the idea of being in love than with Aoyama. Maybe the show will explore that later on, perhaps Ichigo will question her crush on Aoyama and come out with even stronger feelings for him. But I'll be honest, I'm not expecting that to happen, as interesting as it'd seem.

Definitely looking forward to where this is going. It's impossible for me to not compare it to the original series since I absolutely adore it, but best case scenario the show will be able to stand as a solid alternative take that can be enjoyed alongside the original series for me.

Edit: Almost forgot, I enjoy the OP and ED but they don't even close to the OP and ED of the OG series. Those were fucking GOAT and my mind can't be changed.
Jul 5, 2022 10:56 PM
Jun 2013
Been too long since I had a good new magical girl show to watch. Episode 1 was good and I'm definitely looking forward to the rest.
Jul 6, 2022 12:04 AM

Aug 2020
I never watched the original series so I'm new to it, but it was a pretty good start. I enjoyed the ED a lot but I thought the voice of the MC was a bit strange.

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Mew Mew New ♡ Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2022

52 by FlinnV »»
Jan 9, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Mew Mew New ♡ Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2022

51 by Momoiro_Hime »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:25 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Mew Mew New ♡ Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2022

49 by RobloxElie »»
Oct 19, 2023 9:29 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Mew Mew New ♡ Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2022

20 by UsagiBloom »»
Jul 4, 2023 10:17 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Mew Mew New ♡ Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2022

24 by UsagiBloom »»
Jul 4, 2023 9:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.