Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2019 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's hard to watch Thorfinn depressed like this :(

Seems this anime continues to show the hardship of survival and being in a world of uncertainity. Very understandable how Thorfinn feels after his loss though. He has to do what he can now to survive. His skills with a sword needs improvement though.
Aug 4, 2019 9:40 AM

Jan 2019
Manga reader here, they got the anime original episode right.
Poor Thorfinn, I've never seen him in so much pain and struggle.
Absolute brilliant episode.
Aug 4, 2019 9:43 AM

Feb 2018
Askeladd really does not want to kill Thorfinn- yet.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Aug 4, 2019 9:50 AM

Sep 2018
Brilliant episode from start to finish.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Aug 4, 2019 9:57 AM

Sep 2014
Even for an anime-original episode Wit Studio outdid themselves once again. After the death of Thors and Thorfinn's disappearance Ylva became the man of the house. Gotta love how hardworking she is yet it is a distraction to deal with all this. It was also hard to see Thorfinn going through all this but he's slowly getting the skills he needs to survive. He has still a long way to go though. Askeladd is still as entertaining as ever.
Aug 4, 2019 10:01 AM

Dec 2017
eh, was pretty average. kinda gave off vagabond vibes with the whole getting ready for the duel, surviving in the woods, but less brutal. the revenge plot isn't anything amazing, but we'll see what more it has to offer
Aug 4, 2019 10:03 AM

Aug 2013
Thorfinn is having a hard time in this episode. Askeladd didn't kill Thorfinn during both of their duels. Though I guess he will regret that later on.

Aug 4, 2019 10:04 AM

Feb 2017
Really good anime original episode.
This show has some amazing background art, background artist outdid themselves this episode in particular. True wallpaper generator
Aug 4, 2019 10:05 AM

Jul 2012
I am soo sooo tempted to read the manga. I have around 12 volumes on my bookshelf right now. Just 20 more weeks for the anime to end, hang in there!
Aug 4, 2019 10:05 AM
Sep 2015
Askeladd's group is quite cool, except the part where they kill the whole village. Not cool at all!
Also, is Thors really dead? My inner heart still have some hope, he's just too great. I don't see his body but it look like they're already confirm the bounty reward. (Though he successfully faked his own death once)
Aug 4, 2019 10:08 AM

Jul 2017
Damn Helga took that news like she was expecting it so eventually happen

Liking the buildup episodes but do want to see what the "present" times look like
Aug 4, 2019 10:09 AM

May 2018
rip the village that got raided
Aug 4, 2019 10:17 AM

Aug 2012
Stay strong, Ylva.
Aug 4, 2019 10:27 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Good lord, there were some wallpaper background material this episode!

But my favourite is easily this:

A really good anime-original episode to show the growth of Thorfinn and liken ourselves to Askeladd!

Helga hardly flinching over the news, she totally saw this coming but it was still crazy admirable. Ylga, on the other hand, was really strong but once her cover was blown, I couldn't help but shed a tear. Leif pledges to find Thorfinn however long it takes, i wonder how that'll go. Meanwhile, Thorfinn has it rough surviving alone in the forest and hardly finding enough food but it's good to see that he's slowly polishing his skills. He truly is Thors's son, rejecting to finish off Askeladd in his sleep. But it's good to see that Askeladd is denying to finish him off too, he probably sees some true potential in him unless of course it is out of respect to Thors. Damn, that village massacre though, horrific stuff.

Looking forward to more of this greatness! I've a feeling Thofinn will sneak into one of the ships again lol but we'll see how that goes next episode!

Edit: Next Episode Preview: https://twitter.com/v_saga_anime/status/1158038931239243776?s=21
_MushiRock11_Aug 4, 2019 10:30 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 4, 2019 10:33 AM

Nov 2018
I'm glad they're sticking very close to the historical accuracy of vikings with their raiding (killing everyone, taking away the women etc.) and habits.

Very good episode, can't wait to see where Thorfinn will go next
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Aug 4, 2019 10:35 AM

Mar 2015
Getting this level of quality in the adaptation of my favorite manga after years of wait is like a dream :3
Aug 4, 2019 10:38 AM

Aug 2018
I can already tell that Wit is trying their absolute best to make this as good as possible now. This episode was 90% filler that is meant to better connect Thorfinn coming into his older self and state of being. The only thing that wasn't filler was the Ylva scene. Great episode. This adaptation is going to be amazing.
Aug 4, 2019 10:39 AM
ギャンブルビイ

Sep 2018
I don't usually like bloodbath stuff, but this is so far an easy 10. Some of the most notable things to me are the gorgeous scenery and the characters, each one has a multi-dimensional feel to them. Top tier writing!
Aug 4, 2019 10:45 AM

Jun 2014
Beautiful episode. Keeps the level of quality even in anime original episodes.
Aug 4, 2019 10:49 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was nice and emotional. The struggle for Thorfinn is real. But one thing I will say that the blood of his Father runs through his veins. I look forward to see what he will be capable of eventually.
Aug 4, 2019 10:57 AM

Jul 2014
Excellent episode, showcasing the grief process for both Thorfinn and Ylva while also beginning to push Thorfinn's development as a warrior. He's still got a hell of a long way to go to catch up to Askelaad, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what he proves to be capable of in the future.
Aug 4, 2019 10:57 AM

Jun 2010
Another great episode. This anime is very epic. It is sad to wait another week to watch.
Aug 4, 2019 11:11 AM

Feb 2015
Really good ep and lots of beautiful scenery.

SchwingBonerAug 4, 2019 3:02 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2019 11:16 AM

Jul 2016
While most people would argue that the best thing about this anime is the animation and the story, I believe that the best thing is the amazing voice acting of Shizuka Ishigami, who is voicing Young Thorfinn. It's just phenomenal, and to be completely honest, I haven't seen such great performance in a while. Props to her!

In general, amazing episode, while not as action-paced as the previous one.

Overall, 5/5
Aug 4, 2019 11:20 AM

Jul 2016
SchwingBoner said:
Really good ep and lots of beautiful scenery.

Wit Studio's on fire.
This year, they've blessed us with 10 amazing episodes of Attack on Titan, as well as more 26 episodes of Vinland Saga. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were to adapt classic manga series in the future. We can only hope for a Berserk adaptation by Wit Studio.
Aug 4, 2019 11:24 AM
Feb 2016
No way was this an anime original. It was just too good. It gave me 98' Berserk vibes.

Small things like witty banter the other soldiers were making when Thorfinn fought Askeladd in their first duel is the definition of immersion.

"Kill him, kid!"

They were rooting for him because everyone loves a good underdog, and you could tell that they found his resolve admirable by them giving him tips and offering him something to eat.

The best part was Bjorn being genuinely worried about Thorfinn dying in his second duel against Askeladd.

You forget that these were the same people that were hired to kill his father because we know that it was nothing personal and that they all respected Thors. And by extension they respect Thorfinn and his resolve as well.

This is simply a beautiful anime and an absolute pleasure to watch. This is simply the AOTY. So much nuance that I have to rewatch scenes and episodes over and over to let it fully sink it.
Aug 4, 2019 11:28 AM

Mar 2019
This is looking like a potential anime of the year for me.
Aug 4, 2019 11:35 AM

Mar 2017
I've got mad respect for Thorfinn; he's got more grit, determination and resilience than most adults. It was hard to see him struggling to survive in this episode but he's a tough boy and he's definitely going to become a force to be reckoned with!

Also, i don't how it took me 5 eps to realise that the Ed is sung by Aimer... such a beautiful voice!
Aug 4, 2019 11:36 AM

Jul 2015
Fantastic episode. Thorfin is struggling but he's also learning at the same time and was able to survive on his own in that forest. The scenery this episode was indeed gorgeous.
Aug 4, 2019 11:43 AM

Sep 2017
Man vikings are so savage. That entire village got wiped out. I wasn't expecting Thorfinn to have to survive by himself in the woods like that. I like how they gave context to why Thorfinn chose to use daggers as we see in the OP. I get the feeling he's basically gonna just tag along where ever this viking group goes and they're not gonna do much to stop him. Eventually they'll probably accept him as a real member or something. Idk really anything about viking lore so who knows.
Aug 4, 2019 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
Are we yet again on another episode with feels?
God damn it. Protect the poor child at all cost.

It was so hard for me to watch Thorfinn suffer, trying to survive on his own.

Aug 4, 2019 11:52 AM
Jun 2015
quirkless1 said:
This is looking like a potential anime of the year for me.
IDK man it's really good but AOT......shit it's too hard to call just yet
Aug 4, 2019 11:56 AM

Apr 2018
Wit studio is amazing
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Aug 4, 2019 11:58 AM
Apr 2019
The best anime of the season wtf... (for me is the best of the year).

The honor that Thorfinn has is so fucking good man, not killing Askeladd when he was sleeping is one of the most honorable things a warrior can do.

Thorfinn is one of THE GREATEST protagonist i've ever seen.

Aug 4, 2019 11:59 AM

Sep 2014
Another good episode, easily the best anime the season
Aug 4, 2019 12:23 PM
Jul 2018
Wait, this was anime original? It twas the best episode yet! Wit studio you've outdone yourself!
Aug 4, 2019 12:26 PM

Sep 2017
A transitional chapter after the previous one, where we could see the cruelty of the Vikings in some well-achieved scenes and where we began to see the development of Thorfinn, another episode well adapted and well accomplished and at the same time a bit sad.
Aug 4, 2019 12:27 PM
May 2017
axel360 said:
Askeladd really does not want to kill Thorfinn- yet.

If i was him i wouldn't do it either, killing a child who doesn't know how to defend itself wouldn't be fulfilling (unless im getting paid)
Aug 4, 2019 12:28 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
poticardo said:
Getting this level of quality in the adaptation of my favorite manga after years of wait is like a dream :3

I feel the same way. Been reading the manga since the start and never expected it to be adapted due to the subject matter and the relative lack of easily relatable tropes for the anime community. That Wit is doing this good a job, putting their own touch in, with no detriment to the story is beyond my wildest dreams.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 4, 2019 12:36 PM

Aug 2018
I honestly thought the episode would end on a time-skip, but I'm glad it didn't ! These days of young Thorfinn are really great, his development is already interesting at this stage !

Aug 4, 2019 12:37 PM
Aug 2019
ChainxBastard said:
No way was this an anime original. It was just too good.

They've put so many details in there that I myself (despite being a manga reader) am in ave that this was anime original.

For example, in the Bjorn vs Thorfinn scene in the woods, Bjorn came to pick some mushrooms, but after seeing the state Thorfinn was in he shook his basket and decided he has enough and can spare some for Thorfinn - you can actually see a nice bunch of mushrooms he left under the tree in the following shot.

I love when anime can show and not tell you about things to make you understand how certain people feel about each other. You can see they respected Thors and thus are slowly gaining respect for Thorfinn, seeing his determination to survive and fight - he's a viking, one of them.
magictuchAug 4, 2019 12:40 PM
Aug 4, 2019 12:38 PM

Feb 2010
Yup, this adaptation is clearly made with love and care towards the source material. They got it so right, that episode might as well been written by Yukimura himself.
Aug 4, 2019 12:54 PM

Sep 2015
Always wondered how Thorfinn survived childhood, got exactly what I thought - nobody (except best boy) took him serious until they all got used to his presence, so he became part of the gang.
Nice to see original content so you can actually watch episode instead of comparing to source.
The opinions of people with shit taste, such as yourself, may differ of course.
Aug 4, 2019 1:13 PM

Nov 2016
This is really damn good in pretty much every aspect. I crave for more episodes.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 4, 2019 1:15 PM

Apr 2017
Studio Wit is on fire! This will probably be my anime of the year. Still, one can't be so ignorant to neglect the upcoming seasons of Nanatsu no Taizai and Boku no Hero.
Aug 4, 2019 1:18 PM

Sep 2014
Great episode despite the few dips in art and animation. I believe these few episodes are important to tie the backstory with Thorfinn's life as a teen
Aug 4, 2019 1:58 PM

Sep 2017
i liked the episode but still i wanted something more. i was taken aback of the calmness and coolness of Ylva and Helga after they received the news about Thors' death. We saw Ylva bursting into tears later on which was expected but Helga didn't show any emotions. Looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 4, 2019 2:04 PM

Dec 2015
Great episode. I love the detailed storytelling this anime gives, but the slow pace is hard to watch in a weekly format. Maybe I should stop watching for now and wait for it all to finish airing so I can binge it all at once.
Aug 4, 2019 2:07 PM
Apr 2016
Well, it went exactly as I expected. He trained, lived, challenged the one in blame. The story should pick up the next episode, I believe. However, their world sure is cruel, I felt so bad for the villagers..
Aug 4, 2019 2:21 PM
Apr 2016
Well, if anything, this series makes medieval surviving of an underage kid look extremely... successful. I would be actually amazed, if it was not such a nonsense. But let us see, maybe there will be just one realistic moment...
Re:formed
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

814 by katnissdawn »»
Sep 18, 5:25 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

262 by Ronin_Alx »»
Sep 17, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

410 by Mglasses »»
Sep 10, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

356 by siluthfi_ »»
Sep 5, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2019

329 by Artromex »»
Aug 14, 6:36 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.