Forum Settings
Forums

Anime fans have the attention span of goldfish?

New
Sep 13, 2018 9:30 AM

Dec 2015
So I've heard a lot of people saying that Monster and Lengend of the Galactic Heroes are "slow" shows. Apparently they take too much time to get on, and I always have a blank expression on my face whenever I read these types of comments because I never found them to be slow. I didn't find any episode in these shows to be not of any import.

Breaking Bad is an amazing show but has snail pacing at times (not that I minded), but I've never heard anyone say that Breaking Bad is slow. It really gets going at the start of season 4, but I've never come across anyone who said that the first three seasons should've been truncated. But for some reason people say that Monster and LotGH should've been shorter.

So I've come to the conclusion that is the title of this post.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 13, 2018 9:31 AM

Feb 2016
These shows are boring trash, not like Naruto.
Sep 13, 2018 9:34 AM

Sep 2013
my guess is that anime is usualy for young people and most young people like things happening faster and want things on demand, while breaking bad is usually target to adults, so most of the viewers have probally a slow paced mindset

that being said, when young viewers that usually like fast paced stuff, or normal paced stuff come into a series like monster they usually get bored/surprised quickly because ' nothing happens '
Sep 13, 2018 9:35 AM

Mar 2018
Cannot agree. I don't mind slow shows - actually, quite a few of my favourites are slow and I actually like it better if an anime show takes its time to develop characters, the story and other aspects. One of my all-time favourite shows is "Hannibal" and it has a pacing that is probably considered glacial. :-)
Sep 13, 2018 9:38 AM

Sep 2017
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand LOTGH. The plot is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of future space politics, most of the plot will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Yang's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of this plot, to realise that itsnotjustamazing- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike LOTGH truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the complexity in Reinhard's battle strategies, which itself are cryptic references to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as LOTGH's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.
Sep 13, 2018 9:41 AM

Nov 2017
Whoever says that is an idiot, the slow nature of these shows allow the characters to be developed extremely well and be very memorable, it also helps to explain the viewer the various ideologies that the creator had in mind for the story and simply rushing it would not allow us to fully appreciate what the creator is trying to say.

Edit: the slow nature of Lotgh is actually the reason why it's considered to be this great, just look at the recent remake for example, because it goes through the story faster it doesn't give you the time to appreciate its depth.
RapidShadowSep 13, 2018 10:00 AM
Sep 13, 2018 9:43 AM

Apr 2018
People watch for different reasons, and put attention to the show they watch differently and in different degree.
Sep 13, 2018 9:56 AM

Jul 2017
One Piece (anime) also has a snail pacing and no one complains, except obviously manga readers, so I can't really understand why those people say Monster is boring and slow. I guess it's because One Piece is a shounen with lots of battles, and Monster has little action in comparison, focusing more on character development and explaining circumstances around the different events.

I can't say anything about LotGH since I haven't watched it yet.

To sum up, it could be that anime fans have the attention span of goldfish, yes, but just those who only watch battle shounen, I guess. They aren't mature enough to recognise the quality of "slow" shows.
Sep 13, 2018 9:58 AM

Sep 2017
I guess most anime fans just aren't on our intellectual level
Sep 13, 2018 10:02 AM

Oct 2007
Well the majority of anime fans are either kids or autistic, so...
Sep 13, 2018 10:04 AM

Oct 2015
I do have an attention span of a goldfish, but that's not because of anime. More like memory, feelsgood rinsing your memory every 20 minutes or so.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Sep 13, 2018 10:07 AM

Dec 2017
I've seen a lot of people who feel that The Wire, often acclaimed as one of the best TV series ever, is too slow. Does this now mean that I can come to the conclusion that TV watchers have short attention spans? No, there are simply people who are more impatient with the entertainment they consume than others, being an anime watcher has nothing to do with it. Otherwise the anime you mentioned wouldn't be as generally praised as they are.
Sep 13, 2018 10:09 AM

Oct 2010
I never fully understood why Monster is so universally considered a slow series. I mean yes, it's 74 episodes for a very simple and straightforward premise but each episode is packed with a lot of stuff. If anything it ended up having a lot more than one could expect, many intra-stories, many deviations from the main storyline, but the episodes themselves and on their own are very eventful and descriptive.
Sep 13, 2018 10:16 AM

Nov 2016
People usually have the same complaints regarding One Piece, but I never came to the conclusion that they have a short attention span.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 13, 2018 10:24 AM

Jun 2014
My favourite anime is Texhnolyze. This anime is notorious for being slow, slower than watching paint dry even. Add to the fact that dialogue is sparse and the viewer has to make inferences from the general nuances of the show. Of course I do get irritated when people say nothing happens but individually each episode has enough content to satisfy the viewer. I don't hold it against them for wanting instant gratification as I'm a victim of that too, mainly in games where the plot hasn't moved one inch (I'm looking at you Persona 5's intro). Watching long shows should be seen as an investment and be rewarding at the same time. However, they do not always go hand in hand as the payoff can be terrible. Monster was great with its closure and LoGH not so much.

The same can be applied with books, I don't start enjoying myself until I've got used to the style of the authors and I'm a hundred or so pages in, if it catches my attention then it's sooner. That's just my view on entertainment but it can differing for others. Not everyone is willing to spend 20 episodes for a series to start picking up.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Sep 13, 2018 10:24 AM

Sep 2015
jal90 said:
I never fully understood why Monster is so universally considered a slow series. I mean yes, it's 74 episodes for a very simple and straightforward premise but each episode is packed with a lot of stuff. If anything it ended up having a lot more than one could expect, many intra-stories, many deviations from the main storyline, but the episodes themselves and on their own are very eventful and descriptive.

From some of the things I've seen, it's precisely because of all the intra-stories and deviations from them ain storyline that people take issue with; every deviation results in the main story being slowed down from the conclusion.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Sep 13, 2018 10:28 AM

May 2012
Monster was not too slow

Lengend of the Galactic Heroes (original version, not new one). is too slow and sometimes make you want to sleep. THe way character speak is too slow, it is like two boring politician having long boring conversation. I did like new remake of Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu that aired this year, much more than original. Wen-li Yang voice and conversation feels better and you could listen to it, while on original it made me want to sleep.

Sep 13, 2018 10:28 AM

Dec 2015
Maz said:

From some of the things I've seen, it's precisely because of all the intra-stories and deviations from them ain storyline that people take issue with; every deviation results in the main story being slowed down from the conclusion.

Every "deviation" from the main plot actually contributes to it. Except one episode every episode has ties to the main story and character development.
Sep 13, 2018 10:47 AM

Oct 2010
Johan_Liebert_ said:
Maz said:

Every "deviation" from the main plot actually contributes to it. Except one episode every episode has ties to the main story and character development.

Yeah, with "deviation" I mean the development of side stories and characters that expand the worldbuilding of the series. Not the straightforward Tenma chases Johan stuff.
Sep 13, 2018 11:09 AM

Apr 2018
So far the pacing is good but the story until ep 20 is nothing special and the reasons that pushed the main dude to do what he is doing are pretty crappy

Welp i am planning to bing watch it from ep 1 to the last ep in the future so my opinion may change

Watched 20 eps so far only
Sep 13, 2018 11:25 AM

Oct 2010
It was debunked on Mythbusters that goldfish have a short attention span. usually the fans dislike when an anime is too slow but when it's faster they say: "uh, the pacing is too fast for a 12 episode show!" Only cleavages and panty shots appeal to them.
Sep 13, 2018 11:29 AM
Feb 2018
LOGH is arguably only show with right pacing, i still haven't watched Monster so can't say about it. I think not a single frame was wasted in that show.
Sep 13, 2018 11:33 AM

Apr 2018
Monster is my favorite manga of all time (haven't watched the anime yet) and I haven't heard any complaints on the manga about that. Is there something that the anime does differently?
Sep 13, 2018 11:37 AM

Aug 2018
I forget most of the unimportant stuff in anime i only remember important ones
-Just roki roll!!!
https://myanimelist.net/profile/Wimp3452
If you click on that you will die
Sep 13, 2018 11:45 AM

Feb 2017
I've seen neither of the shows in question but I honestly did think that the genuinly excellent breaking bad could have done with less glacial pacing at times, I mean thier was a whole episode where Walter White chased a fly around an empty lab..............
Sep 13, 2018 12:02 PM

Aug 2018
It's because society is becoming faster due to technology
Sep 13, 2018 12:13 PM

Jan 2013
People have a low attention span in general.

οΌ³ο½—ο½…ο½…ο½”I guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Sep 13, 2018 12:18 PM

Jan 2009
my life is boring so i want something different than that lol
Sep 13, 2018 12:39 PM

Sep 2015
Johan_Liebert_ said:
Maz said:

I agree with you; I loved that Monster focused on more than just purely Johan and Tenma. Fleshing out the rest of the cast added so much, but you see a lot of people who seem somewhat short-sighted and don't appreciate what they consider to be fluff. Their loss.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Sep 13, 2018 12:43 PM

Jul 2015
Hmmmmgnnnmmm. I like slow shows more than the average dude, but some of these Monster side-stories dragged for ages and brought nothing to the show. It's not really that Monster is slow, is that it has a few excess kilos.
Sep 13, 2018 1:15 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
Not everyone has the patience to endure slow pacing and shows they find boring.
Sep 13, 2018 2:18 PM
Dec 2017
In my opinion, it's not about attention spans. Some people just have different tastes in anime. Maybe some people prefer the slower pacing of Monster and LotGH while others prefer faster-paced stories. Just as some may like different generes over others.
Sep 13, 2018 2:44 PM
Jul 2018
i mean
i used to have a good attention span but now i just think anime is boring so i multi-task whenever i watch anime
Sep 13, 2018 2:48 PM

Apr 2015
Low attention span is not exclusive to anime fans only.

For some folks if nothing random, crazy or explosive is happening within the couple minutes in a show, then you bet they going to find any other show slow in general. Now the other thing will be where some people just prefer fast-paced stories.
Sep 13, 2018 2:51 PM

Oct 2016
It's not something about attention, it's more that I'm too lazy to invest time in something that didn't actually need that much build up.. But it's true, I actually do have a short attention span, I take 2 hours to watch an hour long drama because I keep doing stuff in between.
Sep 13, 2018 2:57 PM

Aug 2017
Yes it is just that most anime fans dont treat anime as an artform and expect instant gratification.
assyrianSep 13, 2018 3:01 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2018 2:59 PM

Mar 2015
assyrian said:
Yes this is just most anime fans they dont treat anime as an art form and expect instant gratification.

Really, that's with most people nowadays; not just anime fans.
Sep 13, 2018 3:07 PM

Aug 2018
Johan_Liebert_ said:
So I've heard a lot of people saying that Monster and Lengend of the Galactic Heroes are "slow" shows. Apparently they take too much time to get on, and I always have a blank expression on my face whenever I read these types of comments because I never found them to be slow. I didn't find any episode in these shows to be not of any import.

Breaking Bad is an amazing show but has snail pacing at times (not that I minded), but I've never heard anyone say that Breaking Bad is slow. It really gets going at the start of season 4, but I've never come across anyone who said that the first three seasons should've been truncated. But for some reason people say that Monster and LotGH should've been shorter.

Lot of watchers "get loss" in really simple shows as densetsu no yuusha no densetsu and say stuff like "the plot is random", NGE still doesn't make sense to a lot of people, Overlord is boring because Ainz doesn't fight much and Angels of death has a deep plot... there is you awnser... it's sad.

When I was 14 yo I was hyped by shows like boogiepop phantom, soul hunter, NGE, Gundam and Serial experimental Lain because of how weird or awesome they were... now Hanebado, banana fish(this one is nice but not a masterpiece) or sirius the jaeger are the GREAT UNDERRATED SHOWS... Planet With is completly ignore this season despite having a great plot and pace... tho the desgins are meh.

I'm talking like an old dude and I know that but I'm really bothered by the lack of understading... I mean, some can't even get sarcasm in a show or a deeper meaning in actions or facial expressions. Then need to hear and see exactly what is going on, how and what is going to happen because mystery means they don't explain things so it's bad.

WOW BIG RANT HERE. Btw I'm english is not my native lenguage, probably I made some mistakes in this long rant.
Sep 13, 2018 3:10 PM

Jan 2017
Clebardman said:
Hmmmmgnnnmmm. I like slow shows more than the average dude, but some of these Monster side-stories dragged for ages and brought nothing to the show. It's not really that Monster is slow, is that it has a few excess kilos.

100% agree, especially the village doctor episode was for me the most pointless one.
Sep 13, 2018 3:10 PM

Aug 2018
LancimusPrime said:
assyrian said:
Yes this is just most anime fans they dont treat anime as an art form and expect instant gratification.

Really, that's with most people nowadays; not just anime fans.

I agree on this, they watch episodes not the show as a whole so they don't get anything at the end.
Sep 13, 2018 3:18 PM

Jun 2015
Johan_Liebert_ said:

Well the first season of Breaking Bad was indeed a pain to get through, particularly because of all the drama with his wife.
Sep 13, 2018 3:20 PM

May 2013
Your conclusion doesn't apply to a good number of people. Not me either. I gave one piece a fair chance (upto episode 230 or something) before I dropped it because of its boring ass pacing coupled with an obnoxious protagonist. Have no major complaints about the manga since it's easy to breeze through it.

In comparison, slow-paced 12/24 episode anime series are child's play.

Monster and LOGH take a while to set into motion, but that slow pacing is necessary since they flesh out a good bit of necessary information. And they aren't that long in comparison to long running shows.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Sep 13, 2018 3:22 PM

Feb 2016
I guess that applies to teenagers in general not just anime fans, that's why most of shounens are packed with non-stop action and fan service.
Sep 13, 2018 3:26 PM

Apr 2017
I had a goldfish

his name was diego

i liked diego.

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ πš–πšŠπš•'𝚜 π™³π™΄πšƒπ™΄π™²πšƒπ™Έπš…π™΄ πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš—
‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ π™³π™΄πšƒπ™΄π™²πšƒπ™Έπš…π™΄ πš‹πš˜πš˜πš™ !
πš’ πš πš’πš•πš• πšŒπšŠπšπšŒπš‘ πšπš‘πšŽ πšŒπš’πš‹πšŽπš› πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš— !
Sep 13, 2018 3:34 PM

Mar 2017
Oh gods, the rank assumptions and elitism prevalent on this thread. "They find this excellent shows boring, haha they must be dumb/action-fags/kids/not-mature-enough."

Intellect of a goldfish.

People are different. Some will balk at the episode count of those shows and get on with their lives. Some won't. Some will like the pace. Some are tired of reading 20 different science journal articles for their Masters thesis and just want to relax so they go fuck it I'll watch something fun.

Most likely you're just hearing those that don't like the pacing of those shows because they're saying it out loud but you ignore those that loved it because they're not out there saying they love it. Every show has that. Shounen or action fans can wake up one morning and read complaints like "It's too fast" or "Where are the deep character developments."

Get off your high horse.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 13, 2018 3:37 PM

Apr 2017
Eanki said:
Oh gods, the rank assumptions and elitism prevalent on this thread. "They find this excellent shows boring, haha they must be dumb/action-fags/kids/not-mature-enough."

Intellect of a goldfish.

People are different. Some will balk at the episode count of those shows and get on with their lives. Some won't. Some will like the pace. Some are tired of reading 20 different science journal articles for their Masters thesis and just want to relax so they go fuck it I'll watch something fun.

Most likely you're just hearing those that don't like the pacing of those shows because they're saying it out loud but you ignore those that loved it because they're not out there saying they love it. Every show has that. Shounen or action fans can wake up one morning and read complaints like "It's too fast" or "Where are the deep character developments."

Get off your high horse.

i think this thread was about goldfish not horses

‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ πš–πšŠπš•'𝚜 π™³π™΄πšƒπ™΄π™²πšƒπ™Έπš…π™΄ πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš—
πš’ πš πš’πš•πš• πšŒπšŠπšπšŒπš‘ πšπš‘πšŽ πšŒπš’πš‹πšŽπš› πš›πšŠπšŒπšŒπš˜πš˜πš— !
Sep 13, 2018 3:41 PM

Mar 2017
Aster- said:

I have seahorses. They're kinda both so there.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 13, 2018 3:43 PM

Apr 2017
Eanki said:
Aster- said:

I have seahorses. They're kinda both so there.

damn are you one of those smarties who watches the good amines???????

Sep 13, 2018 3:43 PM

Aug 2018
People not liking a show because of its pacing is a shallow level of observation.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't drop shows because they are slowly paced. I drop shows that are poorly paced.
I read the manga for Monster, and overall enjoyed it, but it's nowhere close to perfect. I attempted to watch Galactic Heroes and had to drop it. There are several reasons why I dropped the show, and pacing had nothing to do with it. Some of my favorite anime of all time dragged their feet in sending the overall message to its audience, but I still had a good time.
Slow pacing isn't the deal breaker. Slow pacing is just a contributing factor to an already dull show.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a show that is well-written but poorly directed.
There's too much filler talk
The physical combat is pretty stupid
Animation is terrible
Character designs, while they do stand out, are not all that enticing
Voice acting is consistently wooden and monotone
Poorly picked musical scores
Space battles are over-explained, despite them being simplistic and unrealistic
Excessively long and repeitive speeches for very simplistic concepts.
Show has good characters, but plenty of bad ones, especially on the villainy side
It felt like I was reading a book instead of watching a television show, which defeats the purpose of an adaptation.

The story isn't bad, its just the way it's told is very boring to a lot of people, and the only thing that can really grab you is the political intrigue, but for many people, that's not enough. I do agree though, some people do have low attention span, but that doesn't mean a show doesn't have any glaring flaws that people can just simply ignore.
Sep 13, 2018 4:44 PM

Oct 2017
FrankyP said:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a show that is well-written but poorly directed.
There's too much filler talk
The physical combat is pretty stupid
Animation is terrible
Character designs, while they do stand out, are not all that enticing
Voice acting is consistently wooden and monotone
Poorly picked musical scores
Space battles are over-explained, despite them being simplistic and unrealistic
Excessively long and repeitive speeches for very simplistic concepts.
Show has good characters, but plenty of bad ones, especially on the villainy side
It felt like I was reading a book instead of watching a television show, which defeats the purpose of an adaptation.

The story isn't bad, its just the way it's told is very boring to a lot of people, and the only thing that can really grab you is the political intrigue, but for many people, that's not enough. I do agree though, some people do have low attention span, but that doesn't mean a show doesn't have any glaring flaws that people can just simply ignore.

I definitely agree with you on how unrealistic the space battles were, but that was my only significant problem with LoGH besides the number of completely incompetent officers. How good the dialogue, music, voice acting and character designs are is more debatable. For example I really liked the character designs as I found they managed to make each character unique but realistic and indicate their temperament.
They stand out a lot more when you compare them to the new adaptation where the designs don't match the character's personalities nearly as well. It made me realize how much the original designs helped introduce and explain the characters.

Shows like LoGH don't always lend themselves well to binge watching (at least not for a lot of people, I'm sure plenty have binged LoGH) so it can feel like a drag at times which is off-putting despite the quality of the overarching plot, for some people that's just not worth putting up with so I can see why you dropped it. It's age and production quality also shows through a lot, which doesn't help.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Yesterday

23 by MeanMrMusician »»
12 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - 9 hours ago

18 by POORUYO »»
18 minutes ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 5 hours ago

26 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
18 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

34 by Ain2Zwei »»
40 minutes ago

» Favorite openings of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 4 hours ago

13 by pk8list »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.