Forums

Site Guidelines Updated & Forum Mods Announced

New
May 1, 2014 2:14 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Site Guidelines

With the new batch of moderators coming in, we took the opportunity to update the Site & Forum Guidelines prior to their arrival. These updates include:

Rule I.7
We have added a new rule to the General Site Guidelines section: Do not post moderator PMs on the site or otherwise bait/harass/abuse MAL's staff; mods are users, too. It has become increasingly common for some users to post moderator PMs on the site and openly mock their content. The staff doesn't post private messages from users; however, it seems that some users cannot extend this consideration back the other way and so we have now added it to the guidelines.

If you have a problem with how a situation was handled, then please reply to the moderator. If you don't receive an answer you can reasonably understand, then please message another forum moderator or myself. Posting moderator PMs solves nothing, only creates tension and encourages moderator animosity. In short, it only creates problems; please refrain from doing this in the future.

Violations and Ban Policy
As I stated in November elsewhere, we updated our ban policy at the end of September immediately prior to hiring the last group of forum moderators. The warning/ban system has varied a lot in the last 4 years and the current approach lies somewhere between the two more extreme approaches of the past. It has now been approximately six months since we started using this system and we plan to continue with it for the foreseeable future. Thus, we have now written the details of the system into the Site & Forum Guidelines so that the community can clearly see how rule violations are handled on MAL.

I will refrain from going into too much detail about the policy itself in this post. Please read through it in the guidelines and feel free to either post in this thread or PM a moderator privately to discuss any questions or concerns you may have.

Insults on MAL
Along with this update, we have also included our previously discussed stance on insults from November for easy reference.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
New Forum Moderators

First of all, I'd like to thank the community for your patience with us the last few months, and namely, the last few weeks. Open applications are typically considerably more work than nominations made by staff members, and the stages of this application process were longer and more rigorous than previous hiring rounds. Second, a big thank you again to everyone that applied for the position and underwent our extensive test in the second round! Regretfully, we could not take every applicant.

How we chose from the applicants

The next few weeks

I'd like to remind everyone of the purpose of moderator announcement threads: to inform the community that we are training new staff. No new moderator is perfect when they are hired (and even old moderators make mistakes from time to time). The announcement thread is partly a way for the community to welcome the new staff, but it's also there to say: "Hey, these guys are new, cut them some slack while we get them settled in."

What this thread is not for:

Whether our open application process was a success or not still cannot be fully seen. However, it was certainly interesting to see which members of the community were interested in the position and it gave us the opportunity to see them from perhaps a different viewpoint. In the end, I do not think it was a loss (even with it being quite a long and arduous process), and I look forward to our new moderators showing us all that this recruitment was a success.

Finally, without further ado, please welcome our new forum moderators (here and/or on their profiles):

Sep 2011
Congratulations!!!!

Seems like a good selection of people - not sure if I'm more excited for quick response on threadlocks or less excited to potentially be banned for shit-posting
/shrugssss

edit/edit/edit: My 1st first, I'd like to thank mai waifu, the quick thread refreshing skills I've honed over the last 5 months, and finally, you MAL! /curtsey
kissMay 1, 2014 2:17 PM

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet
May 1, 2014 2:16 PM

Aug 2012
Not first. :c

I guess I'll take the time to just say it now.

I know a bunch of people prooooobably (read: most likely) have some sort of beef with me.
If so, please direct your concerns to me via pm. That would be dandy.
May 1, 2014 2:16 PM
Jul 2012
0_0

HOLY SHIT! MELOOW FINALLY GOT THE MOD JOB AND HEDRICK TOO! <3 Great mods!
May 1, 2014 2:17 PM

Dec 2012
Oh my god. MellowJellow finally achieved his dream.
May 1, 2014 2:18 PM

Feb 2013
I've been expecting for MellowJello to become a moderator like forever

May 1, 2014 2:21 PM

Jul 2013
Congrats to all of the new Forum Mods!

Also, I love the new ban policy! Thanks, Kineta!
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
May 1, 2014 2:22 PM

Nov 2010
Wow a lot of new forum mods and a lot of familiar faces. I'm not sure I'm going to like this.
May 1, 2014 2:24 PM

Aug 2010
Gratz guys! I know you'll do a great job.
koleareMay 1, 2014 2:29 PM
May 1, 2014 2:34 PM

Feb 2013
Mellow4mod...actually happened.

*tear drop*
NTADMay 1, 2014 2:45 PM
May 1, 2014 2:34 PM

Nov 2011
Wow.!!! Grats Tyrel, julyan04, Niyawa, Ragix and sarroush! I'll read more on this thread later as I'm a little busy right now but nice to see new additions to the team.

I see some other familiar faces as well.
Stark700May 1, 2014 2:39 PM
May 1, 2014 2:44 PM
Mar 2012
Congrats to the new mods! I see some familiar names among those lists~
May 1, 2014 2:45 PM

Mar 2013
Congratulations.
May 1, 2014 2:46 PM

Apr 2012
Welcome guys.
May 1, 2014 2:47 PM

Jan 2012
Sakana-san said:
Congratulations.

May 1, 2014 2:47 PM

Sep 2012
Grats to the new mods.

Don't ban me pls. I is good boy.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
May 1, 2014 2:49 PM

Jul 2013
Did not expect that.
May 1, 2014 2:49 PM

Apr 2013
Please don't ban me.
an egomaniac and a fool

May 1, 2014 2:51 PM
Jan 2014
Zelot Vudis and Mellow seem like good choices to me.
Cant really say anything about the rest.

That being said: Dont screw up, new mods. Enjoy your mod-being. cya around all.
May 1, 2014 2:55 PM

Mar 2013
Neat.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
May 1, 2014 2:57 PM

Jun 2012
I will desist from judging your choice of suitable moderators, for now atleast.

However, the list does seem somewhat mediocre. Of the users I recognize, I can't think of a single one whom I can view as wholeheartedly devoted to this community and keeping us on track.

Were you guys scraping the bottom of the barrel? How many people applied?
Well, congratulations all. With this, I'm sure Lupadim, Jd, and Okazaki could be moderators aswell.
May 1, 2014 2:57 PM

Sep 2012
Congratulations to Heddie, Mellow, Ragi, and Bacon.

The rest of you I wasn't even aware that you existed. But uh, congratulations too I guess.

This is going to make some interesting situations.. hey Mellow. Remember when we were talking about insults and such like two or so months ago, and you even made a thread requesting a discussion between the moderators and userbase to work out a more reasonable policy on the subject?

How would we see that reflected in your modding decisions? For example, if I happened to call you, say, an isulting name that doesn't even use MAL frequently enough to even be considered for a position such as moderator, would you take into account my personality and our relationship and how I'm just a tsundere for you, or would you be forced to take action even though you are completely aware of my intentions and nobody involved is actually offended?

Edit: Actually, this may have already been answered in the opening post. But fuck it, I want to hear your answer anyway.

Mod edit: Reasonable question, but I have removed what could have been considered an insult (even hypothetically) to avoid discussion being distracted. New mods are currently busy getting some additional orientation and may decide to answer by pm.
rodacMay 1, 2014 3:11 PM
May 1, 2014 3:02 PM

Mar 2013
Ragix needs to be punished for cheating the favorite anime list on his profile.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
May 1, 2014 3:05 PM

Jun 2012
DerpHole said:
Ragix needs to be punished for cheating the favorite anime list on his profile.
I was about to make a post about that, I was under the impression this was a bannable offense, does this still hold true?

If not, am I, or rather, are we too allowed to exploit this bug with no prospective ramifications?
May 1, 2014 3:10 PM

Jun 2007
Oh my god.

May 1, 2014 3:14 PM

Jan 2009
Mellow4Mod happened lol, congrats to all the new moderators
May 1, 2014 3:16 PM

Sep 2012
rodac said:
Mod edit: Reasonable question, but I have removed what could have been considered an insult (even hypothetically) to avoid discussion being distracted. New mods are currently busy getting some additional orientation and may decide to answer by pm.
Oh for fuck's sake.

Well I guess that answers my question. It's been a time and a half MAL..
May 1, 2014 3:20 PM
Mar 2011
laot of the new mods who know me hate me so yes im in ofr a rough time
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 1, 2014 3:21 PM

Aug 2013
NTAD said:
Mellow4mod...actually happened.
Campaign complete

Political marriage

OT: Neat
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
May 1, 2014 3:23 PM

Jan 2009
FGAU1912 said:

your not insulting people anyway from what i observe the people are the ones who insults you lol, so your fine
May 1, 2014 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
Congratulations to all the new moderators! I wish you all luck!
Kineta said:

Awesome!
Kineta said:

• MellowJello

• Mellow4Mod actually worked....MELLOW4MOD ACTUALLY WORKED. Congrats Mellow! You've finally made it! You finally made it to moderator level!

Next time there are moderator applications I'll give it a go. I finally meet qualifications.
    removed-userMay 1, 2014 3:28 PM
    May 1, 2014 3:25 PM
    Aug 2011
    huh, I guess all those:
    Hi and welcome to MAL!
    Please be civil and enjoy your stay~

posts finally paid off
    May 1, 2014 3:29 PM
    Mar 2013
    Damn, that's a lot of new moderators
    May 1, 2014 3:31 PM

Sep 2011
    so we got a bunch of the good users as mods now

Immahnoob said:
    Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 1, 2014 3:31 PM
    Jul 2018
    Mellowjello and Hederick's post history aren't important. Rules are rules, and regardless of what they've done in the past, they are now required to enforce them. If someone derails a thread, that is an offense that moderators, even ones with histories of doing the same, will have to take action on.

This site hasn't become a joke. Kineta said that they wanted moderators that are active in the forums. And who better than some of the ones picked? They're frequent posters and well liked within the community, know the community well, and can act responsibly.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
    KinetaMay 3, 2014 6:56 PM
    May 1, 2014 3:32 PM

Apr 2012
    I wouldn't have more than half of those people on the list, Hell, right now I would only accept myself as a moderator because I'm me.
    Battlechili1 said:
    Mellowjello and Hederick's post history aren't important. Rules are rules, and regardless of what they've done in the past, they are now required to enforce them. If someone derails a thread, that is an offense that moderators, even ones with histories of doing the same, will have to take action on.

This site hasn't become a joke. Kineta said that they wanted moderators that are active in the forums. And who better than some of the ones picked? They're frequent posters and well liked within the community, know the community well, and can act responsibly.

True about the first part, but there is too little time between offenses to be able to say that the ones that did not follow certain rules changed all of a sudden.

Wait, what? I guess you're talking about the people you like, not who the community likes.

KinetaMay 3, 2014 6:57 PM

Autocrat said:
    Hitler was good, objectively.
    May 1, 2014 3:33 PM

May 2012
    Wowowowowow, Gratzzzzzzzzzz Heddo, Ragix, Mellow and Dacon. Isn't that too many though?
    May 1, 2014 3:33 PM

Feb 2012
    And lo what a historical day it was.
    May 1, 2014 3:35 PM

Jan 2009
    Mkayyy said:
    Wowowowowow, Gratzzzzzzzzzz Heddo, Ragix, Mellow and Dacon. Isn't that too many though?

there are too many spam bots to ban
    May 1, 2014 3:35 PM

Jul 2012
    Congrats to Bacon, Heddie, Mellow, Zelot and Ragi!
    Since they're the only ones I know. :D

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
    KinetaMay 1, 2014 5:01 PM
    May 1, 2014 3:36 PM

Aug 2012
    Lol I'm glad I don't frequent these forums anymore.

Mellow as mod. smh.
    كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
    Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
    May 1, 2014 3:37 PM

Jun 2012
    May I request diplomatic immunity?
    Battlechili1 said:
    While I do agree in that frequent posters should be given the positions, by this very same rationale, what is to stop say Lupadim from becoming a mod under the pretense that he will proactively practice and enforce the rules?

KinetaMay 3, 2014 6:58 PM
    May 1, 2014 3:38 PM
    Mar 2013
    I think the moderation will improve with these mods because they know the community very well. While I have no negative feelings towards the other moderators I felt some users were being banned because the mods misinterpreted their posts

So I think Mellow as a mod is a great thing. He's a genuinely nice guy so I'm sure things will improve

KinetaMay 3, 2014 6:59 PM
    May 1, 2014 3:38 PM
    Mar 2011
    j0x said:
    FGAU1912 said:

your not insulting people anyway from what i observe the people are the ones who insults you lol, so your fine

im not made of Glass i can take insult but alot of the new mods who know me hate me so il get banned more ie im in for a rough time
    "If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
    There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
    Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
    For the Union makes us strong
    May 1, 2014 3:40 PM

Dec 2012
    This is going to turn out worse, than the similar thread before it. Should have a been a locked announcement. The results happening now, should have been predictable.
    May 1, 2014 3:40 PM
    Jul 2018
    YorozuyaGinSan said:
    While I do agree in that frequent posters should be given the positions, by this very same rationale, what is to stop say Lupadim from becoming a mod under the pretense that he will proactively practice and enforce the rules?

He hasn't shown that he can act responsibly. Plus he may very well be able to, but he would have had to have passed the tests the senior moderators put all the new mods through. If he could pass that, then I guess he would be qualified.

Though, if I'm right, isn't he too young to be a moderator?

KinetaMay 3, 2014 6:59 PM
    May 1, 2014 3:41 PM

Apr 2012
    Well, I won't say this is as bad as General Discussion schism... But still.

I'd rather have Bloodcalibur be a mod at this point. He is infinite after all, with his harem and shit.

You know what? I think I'll go scout for him and make him come back, make him a mod please.

Autocrat said:
    May 1, 2014 7:12 PM
    Lead Admin
    Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
    Thread cleaned.

A bunch of baiting and derailing has now been cleaned out of this thread. Let me now briefly address a few of the points I saw while reading and cleaning this thread.

First of all, no one gets banned because the moderation team doesn't like them, or vice versa. Our ban policy is clearly visible in the guidelines now and I didn't see a category in there called "Hated by Mods". This is a cheap and baseless statement to make, so please refrain from doing so.

I put the "disclaimer" in the thread because this kind of behaviour has suddenly become commonplace in moderator announcement threads. Even the review moderator announcement, which I thought would go over relatively well, needed to be cleaned. While you're perfectly welcome to disagree with our choices, outright attacking new moderators simply because they were chosen is unnecessary and downright rude.

Popularity - or lack thereof - had nothing to do with the applications. I explained our criteria and our thoughts. We need people who actually post in the boards - and enjoy posting in them - to moderate them. We want moderators to have a presence and be active participants in threads. And CD in particular needs moderator love. One of the downsides of choosing active participants, though, is that not everyone likes them. Still, when we chose "no-name" participants, everyone was mad about them, too.

We held open applications. Everyone who was interested in improving MAL's forum and volunteering for the site was invited to apply. In total, we received ~45 applications. From those, we chose the applicants who best fit our criteria.

Not all of these users have perfect histories, but people are capable of improving themselves. If you think we're happy about the reputation of some of the candidates, then please think again. But our community has seemingly developed to the point where any moderator we chose would be criticised. We need to take these concerns in stride while continuing to move forward in efforts to improve the site.

The forum team has been lacking in number for a long time and I really hope that we can not only change this, but improve our forum environment in the long run through better and regular participation with the staff team. And as I've said before, our community is what each of us make of it. You don't need to be a moderator to contribute, and contribute well, to MAL.

@YorozuyaGinSan:
    KinetaMay 1, 2014 7:22 PM
    May 1, 2014 7:31 PM

Apr 2012
    Actually, my problem is a more personal type of problem, you claim you'd take anyone that is active on the Forums, likes posting, knows the community and the rules. You even claim that you took "no-names" that we still criticize anyway.

Yet, one (me) makes a mistake, a single one that I corrected right after, and you ditch him (me) down the gutter.

One would think (me), that his history was too bad for the moderator position, he (me) most likely took it with a grain of salt, even if he saw myself more than capable for it, but then he saw certain names, and he's completely confused. (sorry, I continued with this format and now I had to follow it)

The ban policy sucked ass until now, Kineta. We (me) had to pester you (the mod in question, whatever), for reasons for why we got banned and you'd just point us to an ambiguous response, smash the rules in like it was nothing and be like "It's okay, it's only one day, take it as a champ.". I won't name mods, fuck that.

And that contribution bullcrap is indeed, bullshit. I might have been here only for 2 years, but all the contribution you add is nothing in comparison to all those shitposters that drown you in their diarrhea, then you get taken as a "troll" of some sort if you want a discussion, of course, one might take it to extremes, he has that habit, but hey (yes, this last last part is a joke).

But this is something personal (it's too bad I can't see all the other applicants, I'd understand what's going on then), so I'll take it to PM.

Oh, and I mean it, I found your response lackluster, but you did tell me you had no time, now that you do (or so I think) have time please do explain the reasoning behind your choice.

The whole idea is that what's happening and what you're saying are a bit in contradiction, and this comes from a so-called "troll".

Autocrat said:
    Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorites Boosting Accounts: Ranking Recalculations ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - May 6, 2021

408 by Heighte02 »»
    Today, 12:59 AM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

104 by Adnash »»
    Jun 7, 12:49 AM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

247 by Bell_cz »»
    Jun 6, 11:22 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

146 by Shadelurker »»
    Jun 6, 9:38 AM

» [Update May 24] Interest Stacks: New feature for custom theme lists and challenges ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Apr 6, 2022

204 by Someone_Someone_ »»
    Jun 6, 6:44 AM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.