3It was OK
1.2%
2Disliked it
0.2%
1Hated it
0.4%
Average 4.9
500 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 27, 2018 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was probably one of the most important episodes of the season. Souya vs Rei really picked up and it shows the integrity of both players.

The shogi match itself was pretty tense. I love the focus on the details, body movements, expressions, and inner dialogues used to capitalize on the psychology of the game. Character chemisry between Souya and Rei is also strangely entertaining to watch. Considering they are both prodigies, it's interesting to see how they are protrayed as human characters.
Stark700Jan 27, 2018 8:35 AM
Jan 27, 2018 8:43 AM
Jun 2016
Souya x Rei, so that why there are lots of BL artwork about them on Pixiv <(")
Jan 27, 2018 11:03 AM

Jul 2017
I don't know if Souya it just really smart or just really dumb
Jan 27, 2018 11:06 AM

Mar 2016
wow,, i love souya so much

i'd be lying if a lil part of me didn't ship it but i know rei is just trying to help him and keep him safe.

honestly the foreshadowing was obvious but it didn't really click for me. i thought maybe souya was absent minded and could only think about shogi but i was wrong.

Jan 27, 2018 11:09 AM

Apr 2016
I don't want this to sound like an insult, but ... is Souya autistic ?
Jan 27, 2018 11:13 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

Playing with Souya draws Rei into a pure white world free from any disturbance to Shogi.
I really liked the review session where Rei and Souya implicitly understood each other.

Souya looks absent minded but he also seems smart with how he was directing Rei during the Rain.
Looking forward to the next episode before the long break.
Jan 27, 2018 11:14 AM

Sep 2017
Swagernator said:

He is most probably a savant.

Jan 27, 2018 11:19 AM
Apr 2017
Swagernator said:
probably.
Problem?
Jan 27, 2018 11:23 AM

Jul 2013
Rei losing to Souya was expected, since, if he wasn't able to beat Shimada, much less he would be able to beat the best. Thankfully, he took the defeat well.

From what I understood, it seems Souya is deaf or something, here his difficulty to understand other people and why he behaves the way he behaves. Rei caring for him is both sad and hilarious, in a way.
Jan 27, 2018 11:34 AM

Apr 2016
This is the first time I realised that an episode with almost no conversation could be this good.
Loved it.
Jan 27, 2018 11:35 AM

Apr 2016
Artur_Moreira said:
Swagernator said:
probably.
Problem?

Im asking if he really is.
Jan 27, 2018 11:38 AM
Feb 2009
ElneFasto said:
Swagernator said:

He is most probably a savant.
probably a mix of being a savant and deaf
Jan 27, 2018 11:49 AM

Nov 2016
Rei and Souya work so well together! I'm happy :)
Jan 27, 2018 11:55 AM

Jun 2015
As expected, Rei lost, but it was interesting to see what he did afterwards. He took the defeat well. His dynamic with Souya after the match was interesting to watch. They work well together, even without saying anything to each other.
Jan 27, 2018 11:56 AM

Mar 2013
This episode made me tear up and I'm not entirely sure why. Also, is Souya actually deaf? It would explain so many things ... Wow ...
Jan 27, 2018 12:07 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great episode. Seeing the match with Rei and Souya finally arrive was worth it even if we who'd clearly was gonna win. As for Souya and his actions, it seems that he is actually deaf. The episode really doesn't make it clear besides Rei actually thinking about it but it would explain a lot of why he never talks to anyone and is for the most part, always alone. Their interactions together were interesting and I'm curious to see if they can become friends, regardless of the gap between their skill.

Very much looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 27, 2018 12:18 PM

Sep 2015
Holy shit! How didn't I pick up that Souya is deaf???

And how come everyone here is confused?!

This explains a whole lot when it comes to his character. His rehearsed responses, why he talks through shogi, why he seems so disconnected with everybody (etc).

This show gets illness, both mental and physical and I think Souya is the most fascinating example so far. He's like Nikaidou and Shimada, only replace their illnesses with being deaf, no wonder he's so good at shogi. It's his only method of communication!

This episode was an 11/10. This series is 11/10. I love March comes in like a Lion.
Jan 27, 2018 1:59 PM

Dec 2012
Good episode.

Nice of Rei to help out Souya
Didn't know Souya was having hearing issues.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jan 27, 2018 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
Another episode of March Comes in Like a Lion where it adapts three chapters instead of the usual two chapters into one episode, thus making the pacing faster than normal. As expected, Rei lost his match to Souya and I'm glad he did. Otherwise, it would have been complete Shounen-style nonsense if he won. Their interactions are just so interesting to watch and I wonder if they could become really good friends just like what @AntwanMantilla said above.

People's ignorance towards autism always infuriates me. Souya doesn't exhibit enough characteristics to be classified as an individual on the autism spectrum. From what I can tell thus far, it suggests he's symbolically deaf, not physically deaf.

Overall, this was a great episode.
removed-userJan 28, 2018 10:28 AM
Jan 27, 2018 2:09 PM

Jun 2014
So if Souya really is deaf, why wasn't there a sign language translator for his interview in the previous episode? That could have prevented that awkward situation where he gave his rehearsed answer that had nothing to do with the question he was asked. Well him being deaf explains everything now, and makes the way he acts much more understandable.

As expected, Rei lost, but I like how the match wasn't even the main focus of the episode. It actually went pretty quickly, with the rest of the episode mostly focusing on Rei and Souya's character chemistry.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 27, 2018 2:32 PM

Nov 2016
Souya being deaf is a possibility I didn't consider,but it explains a lot.

It was a very good and atmospheric episode again. Enjoyed Rei and Souya together.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 27, 2018 2:44 PM
Apr 2016
This episode gave some decent music that seemed a lot like Hayashi Yuki's composition. Who is behind the series music?
Re:formed
Jan 27, 2018 2:53 PM
Apr 2016
thebrentinator24 said:
So if Souya really is deaf, why wasn't there a sign language translator for his interview in the previous episode? That could have prevented that awkward situation where he gave his rehearsed answer that had nothing to do with the question he was asked. Well him being deaf explains everything now, and makes the way he acts much more understandable.

As expected, Rei lost, but I like how the match wasn't even the main focus of the episode. It actually went pretty quickly, with the rest of the episode mostly focusing on Rei and Souya's character chemistry.

It is entirely possible, that, if he is not simply mentally apathetic to reality, he could be hiding the fact that he is deaf. Some higher-ups like that merry ojisan-president could know about it, but avoid telling anyone for *reasons*. Since he is speaking absolutely coherently, it means that deafness is not an impairment he had been born with. IF he is actually deaf. That was quite a large Chekhov's gun, when Kiriyama was speaking to himself on the train, but otherwise it can still turn out both ways. THOUGH, with overall Souya's behaviour, I guess I am actually inclined to believe he is deaf.
Pitiful me for going to ask for the music BEFORE getting through the train monologue. I now wonder if I would have caught a glimpse of that deafness theory myself, if I had not caught a glimpse of the theory here. It is not anyhow major, but it makes me feel a little bit agitated, since I shall never know that.
Daniel_NaumovJan 27, 2018 2:59 PM
Jan 27, 2018 3:00 PM

Apr 2014
Silent-Ninja said:
Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe this is the very first episode in the entire run of March Comes in Like a Lion where it adapts three chapters instead of the usual two chapters into one episode, thus making the pacing faster than normal. I'm no manga reader, but I can't help but feel Shaft didn't do this for no reason since they've been doing a fantastic job with the anime adaptation. If this is just like for one episode and not carried forward into future episodes, then I'm okay with it.

As expected, Rei lost his match to Souya and I'm glad he did. Otherwise, it would have been complete Shounen-style nonsense if he won. Their interactions are just so interesting to watch and I wonder if they could become really good friends just like what @AntwanMantilla said above.

People's ignorance towards autism always infuriates me. Souya doesn't exhibit enough characteristics to be classified as an individual on the autism spectrum. From what I can tell thus far, it suggests he's deaf which would explain his actions and behaviour.

nah ur wrong they already adapted 3 chapters in 1 or 2 episodes of the first season
awesome ep nice adaption
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Jan 27, 2018 3:09 PM
Sep 2014
The preview had someone say, “his hearing comes and goes...” which I suspect is about Souya. I was thinking that maybe his hearing is okay, but depending what state he’s in, he’s not always able to mentally register words or sounds (which reminded me of Your Lie in April where the protagonist could no longer hear the piano notes). If he’s actually hearing-impaired, I hope there’s more insight into why he chooses his form of minimal communication (with no sign language or translator).

This episode was crazy. I can’t wait until next week!
Jan 27, 2018 3:17 PM

Oct 2016
Supremely interesting episode. This could have been framed as a super exciting showdown with the final boss, and to some extent it was, but the shogi match was more about the Rei and Souya and what they felt.
The comparisons and parallels between these two are rather astonishing too, beyond their character designs appearing similar.
The way they play shogi and how they feel towards the game, from what I can tell, is very similar if not the same.
It's after shogi where the characters begin to diverge.
Rei isn't loudmouthed by any means, but next to Souya he can seem like a complete chatterbox.
There's also how Souya seemed more responsible and level headed than Rei in the practical world, giving subtle directions to find a hotel and taking less from the convenience store.
One would think that Souya is symbolic of Rei's future, but more than that, I think he's symbolic of Rei's potential.
The key difference between Rei and Souya so far has been that Rei has had company.
Rei has had Akari, Momo, Hinata, Nikaido, Hayashida, Shimada, Noguchi and many more people alongside him.
For the most part, when we see Souya, he's alone.
It's not as if he's forgotten the outside world to pursue shogi, but it's really in shogi where Souya belongs.
Rei on the other hand has both friendship as a home away from home and his burgeoning love for shogi pushing him a little closer to Souya.
Jan 27, 2018 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
AcceleratorAngel said:
Silent-Ninja said:
Another episode of March Comes in Like a Lion where it adapts three chapters instead of the usual two chapters into one episode, thus making the pacing faster than normal. I'm no manga reader, but I can't help but feel Shaft didn't do this for no reason since they've been doing a fantastic job with the anime adaptation. If this is just like for one episode and not carried forward into future episodes, then I'm okay with it.

As expected, Rei lost his match to Souya and I'm glad he did. Otherwise, it would have been complete Shounen-style nonsense if he won. Their interactions are just so interesting to watch and I wonder if they could become really good friends just like what @AntwanMantilla said above.

People's ignorance towards autism always infuriates me. Souya doesn't exhibit enough characteristics to be classified as an individual on the autism spectrum. From what I can tell thus far, it suggests he's symbolically deaf, not physically deaf.

nah ur wrong they already adapted 3 chapters in 1 or 2 episodes of the first season
awesome ep nice adaption

Thanks for your response. Took a quick look at the first season's episode list and it appears you are correct. I've corrected my original post now.
removed-userJan 28, 2018 10:28 AM
Jan 27, 2018 3:46 PM
Mar 2015
Interesting watching Souya At times he is godlike. At times he is childlike It seems that Rei is able to reach out to him at times like the move to make instead of the loser "So that's is how it is"
Jan 27, 2018 4:24 PM

Oct 2012
The atmosphere of this episode was something, almost magical in a way. In the end it really felt like it was Kiriyama and his newfound confidence who was taking care of Souya rather than other way around. And his inner monologue was just great this time.

Now if every shogi episode was executed like this I wouldn't mind at all.

Anyway, I just realized this anime ends in March, kinda interesting sort of planning. Really wonder if they concludes with the coming of a spring.

Probably with Kiriyama finally
but that's just my wild guesses :)
Jan 27, 2018 4:34 PM

Oct 2015
Souya and Rei coincidental situation is so awkward that I would die if it was me. Souya is like a robot man, he hardly say anything I feel bad for Rei but I don't think he hates the situation. In fact I would say he is happy and full of admiration for him.

I think they will grow closer and maybe become friends, who knows.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 27, 2018 4:36 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Souya is deaf, but is he completely deaf? I'm very interested in his condition.

There was a great special atmosphere in this episode due to Souya and Kiriyama being taken in by it. They communicated through actions only in the review session...incredible.

And we continue getting more of those two together, i'm really happy about that.
Jan 27, 2018 5:00 PM

Oct 2012
Smudy said:
Souya is deaf, but is he completely deaf? I'm very interested in his condition.

That's why the interview before was so awkward probably, he did memorized his speech beforehand and was just bad at answering their question.
(although realistically, if he couldn't hear, he probably wouldn't be able to speak so well too).

Or... everything is just metaphor, like that typhoon(Souya).
Jan 27, 2018 5:39 PM

Dec 2015
Umm... so souya is deaf? So why he isnt using hearing aid, it could help right
Jan 27, 2018 6:05 PM
Feb 2009
Exeterna said:
Umm... so souya is deaf? So why he isnt using hearing aid, it could help right
depends on how deaf he is
Jan 27, 2018 9:05 PM

Sep 2015
thebrentinator24 said:

Probably because they want to keep it a secret. I am sure they don't want to advertise that a deaf person is the best shogi player, because that's just how disabilities are seen in Japanese culture. I'm sure either Souya or the organization as a whole would get a negative stigma.. I like how this ties into the last ark in some ways.
Jan 28, 2018 12:03 AM
Apr 2016
Draconix814 said:
thebrentinator24 said:

Probably because they want to keep it a secret. I am sure they don't want to advertise that a deaf person is the best shogi player, because that's just how disabilities are seen in Japanese culture. I'm sure either Souya or the organization as a whole would get a negative stigma.. I like how this ties into the last ark in some ways.

I am quite sure it has nothing to do with Japanese culture, but the universal for all nations notion of people thinking worse of impaired people...
Jan 28, 2018 12:04 AM

Apr 2017
What a great revelation in this episode. Souya is deaf, I feel sad for him. He's one of the best shogi players but he has a disability. I pity him so much. I am glad Rei did help him for everything. I was curious at the first why Souya do not talk like nothing. This episode really hitted the feels straight to my kokoro.
JerryKen10Jan 28, 2018 5:41 AM
Jan 28, 2018 4:43 AM

Oct 2013
such a great episode. i was always interested in souya, i am glad we finally got to know a little bit more about him. the "speaking without words" part was so good...connecting with people on that level and in that way is something truly beautiful and special.
Jan 28, 2018 4:45 AM

Sep 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
Draconix814 said:

I am quite sure it has nothing to do with Japanese culture, but the universal for all nations notion of people thinking worse of impaired people...

Um, where do you live? I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but that simply isn't true, especially nowadays. At least here in America, I'd say we at least know that if you have a disability, there are other things you can excel at, sometimes because you have the disability. Japanese culture just isn't like that, and I am sure there are other cultures that aren't like that too, but it simply isn't the universal standard you claim it to be.
Jan 28, 2018 5:36 AM

Jul 2014
I've always wondered what the deal with Souya is, ever since he first appeared. The fact that he is deaf certainly explains a lot, and I'm surprised I didn't pick up on, or even suspect, that. That aside, the match between Rei and Souya was very tense and extremely interesting to watch, even with the outcome being obvious from the get-go; it was a good sign for Rei's development as a player that he instantly knew which move would make him lose, and that he was able to put up a decent fight against Souya for as long as he did.

Definitely interested to see more of these two together, that's for sure.
Jan 28, 2018 5:38 AM

Sep 2017
Another bomb episode per usual. The chemisty between Rei and Souya is just well perfecto. I always wondered why Souya was so quiet and to himself, an interesting revelation.
Jan 28, 2018 6:24 AM

Feb 2014
This episode really answered a big question concerning Souya's personality. The hints were subtle, and I didn't pay attention to it, even in the last episode, but Souya looks to be deaf, or has very limited hearing in one or either of his ears.

It goes to explain how he acts, including the interview he gave to the press in the build-up to his match against Rei. The match itself was pretty tense, where Rei knew he wouldn't win, especially after realising that he made a bad move during the match, but I'm glad he went as far as he did though towards the inevitable conclusion. =)

Because of the Bullet Train's cancellation, Souya looked pretty lost, so it was really nice on Rei's part to help him out with the ticket refund, umbrella and staying at a local inn for the night. I'm looking forward to seeing the pair of them again next week. =)
Jan 28, 2018 6:35 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Souya though really looks impressive in that white kimono though. Jumping in with no intention of winning though is like not giving the respect that Souya deserves though. Unusual to see Rei get caught up in the moment though. Though Rei lost because he gave it his all he won't feel the normal despair i guess. Interesting to see that Souya is the only person that Rei can't read though. The typhoon though sure snapped Rei back to reality. Outside of Shogi Souya looks somewhat lost for some reason. Though Souya really is pretty quiet though. An interesting episode actually.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2018 7:29 AM
Aug 2011
Shouya is not deaf imo. Since deaf people usually also have impaired speech, and Shouya must've been giving a lot of speeches given his title. It just portraying how he's having his own world. Reminds me of Chihayafuru's meijin and queen. They're so good at the game they started to have unusual behaviour
Jan 28, 2018 8:36 AM
Nov 2016
I love the way Souya looks in the anime.

The match was really well done, it held the same tension as the one in the manga and that's saying something.
Jan 28, 2018 9:04 AM

Dec 2015
One of the greatest episode in this anime. Maybe one of the greatest episodes this year (or over the last years).

I like good male main characters and male rivals and interaction between them. The episode was great doing that. Not only the plot/dialogue (and the communication without words) - but also the music, sound and the overall atmosphere (the weather) ... just great.

I might give this anime 10/10 (trying to give out less 10s and the 1st season was at 8/10 this one at 9/10 cause of the bullying arc) just because of this episode.

Now I don't want to talk much about what happened itself. Just enjoying it.
But can someone tell me how far the manga is ahead? Might there be enough left for a 3rd season (1 or 2 cour) - or even more?
Jan 28, 2018 9:16 AM

May 2017
So I'm a little bit confused was he deaf from the birth or due shogi he's in his current condition
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2018 9:35 AM

Jan 2017
If you guys watched the preview for the next episode, it's being said that "his hearing comes and goes". So yeah, he has some kinda of trouble with hearing. That being said my thoughts on this episode:

I am simply speechless. It was so calm, tranquil, but at the same time a typhoon of emotions and self-discovery. Kiriyama certainty played a somewhat different shogi of what his used to, reaching that level of comprehension and actually feeling in his fingers the moment that gave death to his possible victory.

Souya is just incredible. I love the man and the enigma he represents. Almost feels like a lost puppy that must be protected at all costs.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 28, 2018 2:19 PM

May 2015
So Whitey is deaf.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 28, 2018 2:52 PM

Dec 2011
This is the episode of March that I was waiting for to get animated, and I'm so glad it didn't disappoint!

Mich666 said:
taking care of Souya rather than other way around.

To me it's actually the other way around. Even though Souya did not move a muscle, he was able to demonstrate his maturity over Rei by providing him with hints. He might have some hearing impairment, but that doesn't render him entirely helpless.

Though what really grabbed me here is how this little scenario played out like a Shogi match in the sense that communication is possible without any exchange of words.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2017

127 by samsince04 »»
Jun 11, 8:59 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

251 by Randomega »»
Jun 4, 11:17 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Mar 10, 2018

113 by Randomega »»
Jun 4, 7:42 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2018

107 by Randomega »»
Jun 3, 9:21 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

85 by Randomega »»
Jun 3, 6:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.