3It was OK
21.3%
2Disliked it
7.7%
1Hated it
3.7%
Average 3.9
492 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 10, 2017 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cool, I like that OP song, pretty catchy if you ask me!

Plus, we got an interesting cast, setting, etc. I think the animation style works fine for the visuals too by Madhouse. From the characters, Jean Otis is quite a cunning individual. I'm curious to see the show explore more about his character. There's minimal comedy so far as the series has more of a thrilling feel. Reminds me slightly of Joker Game from Spring. Interesting start so far.
Jan 10, 2017 6:43 AM
Apr 2016
This ep adapted the first three chapters of the manga (where I was watching it was really bad so I may have missed some on the end). I'm impressed with the OP and ED and with everything this episode. Madhouse did so well! Very excited for the rest of the series now, I think they're doing a great job.
Jan 10, 2017 7:32 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Here's the opening while we wait for the subs.

EDIT : ED :

DatRandomDudeJan 10, 2017 8:52 AM
Jan 10, 2017 8:00 AM

Sep 2016
DatRandomDude said:
Here's the opening while we wait for the subs.

Wow op looks awesome can't wait for episode.
Jan 10, 2017 8:45 AM

Mar 2015
I liked it.

The characters designs are pretty unique.
Kinda sad that the score is so low already.
Jan 10, 2017 8:47 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Really good OP and ED first of all, very fitting too

Nothing much happened but I'm really digging this series primarily due to the tone, setting, and just the mystery surrounding the ACCA and what they're set out to do in this world

So far the characters haven't left a big impression but I found myself really liking the MC so that's a good thing at least so far

Good start
Jan 10, 2017 8:50 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Jean is already top. I love that he's so laid-back.

The music in this show fits so well and sounds really classy.

This episode was purely focused on world-building through the eyes of Jean, interesting way to start the series off.

There was a feeling of something brewing behind the scenes definitely.

OP and ED are brilliant!
Jan 10, 2017 8:58 AM

Aug 2012
It was fine, let's see where this will take us
Jan 10, 2017 9:09 AM

Apr 2015
The episode felt way too long and boring. Bummer really, I wanted to like it but not dropping it yet since things seem to have just started getting real. Don't like the mc though
Jan 10, 2017 9:26 AM

Dec 2015
The OP song was very wow.

I liked it, it was a bit slow but I didn't mind, seems like there'll be more traveling and investigating in the future, looking forward to it.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 10, 2017 9:27 AM

Dec 2014
Pretty decent start, nothing really stood as impressive though. I suppose it's because this episode was mostly just set up and world building after all but even then it did feel a little too dry at times.

The music is very distinctive and does work well with the atmosphere of the series. That being said I'm interested in seeing how this tone is gonna develop. Is the series gonna be verbose like this episode with more or less just detective work or is it gonna dive into politics and perhaps even have a fair share of action?

Characters also don't stand out for now, I liked Jean but that was about it.

I'll keep watching to see how this goes.
Jan 10, 2017 9:39 AM
Jul 2018
cig bro works in a department that checks out all the other department
he job is to check out all the other people that check out all the other department
checking-out department getting close
cig bro and gal check out department and find out corruption
checking-out department not getting close anymore cuz politician fear, supposedly caused by black bro??
cig bro is being stalked by ass cop
also there seems to be having a bunch of fires around the town?
cig bro has his schedule tightened because politicians are asshats
cig bro does check up but female soldier super saiyan with the powers of beatiful hair is already doing check up on her own
cig bro goes have a coffee and a chat with his check-up bros and politician asshat friends
ass cop stalker is there
ass cop stalker steals cig bros lighter cuz he suspects he is the one doing the fires

OP is pretty gr8. this is gonna be a good one hopefully
Jan 10, 2017 9:47 AM

Sep 2016
this is as interesting and as boring as joker game. big plus that the manga is completed so this might be full adaptation. gonna watch this to pass the time since tuesday anime are all garbage
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 10, 2017 9:52 AM

Apr 2014
This was more boring than Joker Game which is quite an achievement.
Jan 10, 2017 10:12 AM

Nov 2007
I'm not sure what this anime wants to do but that was really boring and I didn't really like the maincharacter at all. Not dropping it yet though, I kinda wanna know if this anime gets into "action" somehow.
Jan 10, 2017 10:14 AM

Jun 2014
I don't really have much to say about this episode except that it was decent I guess, nothing in particular stood out besides the OP. The characters all seem rather bland so far, hopefully that will change.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jan 10, 2017 10:19 AM

Mar 2015
Hey look, it's Joker Game in contemporary Japan. Who thought this happy go lucky anime Japan was a good setting for an anime about conspiracies and detectives?
DoomdoctorJan 10, 2017 10:23 AM
Jan 10, 2017 10:21 AM

Jun 2015
What a great first episode. I'm loving the OP. It sounds so good. It also looks amazing. ED is good too. I like the character designs. They look cool. Jean Otus is a interesting character. Boring shows are my kind of thing. I prefer this show over Joker Game.
Jan 10, 2017 10:21 AM

Aug 2015
I admit to being a bit annoyed with this first episode but the sequel may be better. (I didn't read the manga, I just browsed)

The animation is good, the drawings clean.
The music is original: we hear a lot of piano ... (genre?)

Scenario, I can't to see which direction the series takes.
For the moment everything is calm but considering the last sentence of the guy, I think it will be more serious. (I hope!)

3/5
TuyNOMJan 10, 2017 10:30 AM
Jan 10, 2017 10:25 AM

Feb 2016
people who find this boring should probably stop there cuz this will be slow paced. I didnt read the manga but I'm familiar with the author's work
I love this type of boring show so I'll hang around till the end
Jan 10, 2017 10:33 AM

Feb 2016
OP looks fancy and unique, the characters are okay, but the plot doesn't look that great (at least for now) everything i saw here is the MC smoking around (despite the possibility of generic conspiracy between power people [very human like]). will watch more in case the plot gets better
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 10, 2017 10:35 AM

Jun 2015
This wasn't even mediocre.
Jan 10, 2017 10:41 AM
Aug 2014
I thought it done its job well for a first episode. There is bias on my part since I am a sucker for slow but interesting animes.

The art style for me is wonderful, it's simple and elegant, and every character has a slight distinctive feature. I genuinely loved the designs for most of the characters.

I can't comment plot-wise yet since it is only the first episode, but it does seem like this is going to be a long anime so I'm strapped in for the ride.

I liked the ED, didn't care too much for the opening though as it felt slightly out of place for now but, I'll most likely have a changed opinion by the end of the series.

So far it's done well, I enjoyed it. 7/10 for now.
Jan 10, 2017 10:44 AM

Jun 2014
Loved the OP and the ED! Really laid back show, but I enjoyed everything about it. Jean is really intriguing and it seems that a few of the others don't like him bcuz he is good at his job.

Great first episode! Can't wait to see where this goes!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jan 10, 2017 10:52 AM

May 2015
lezerman said:
I liked it.

What do you expect? This is MAL. People will judge from one episode and think it's perfectly ok.

Jan 10, 2017 10:53 AM

Dec 2013
I like this anime it's slow , jazzy and serious ,and it's refreshing because not a lot of this type anime out there , Jane has calm and cool personality , and nice world building, I think it's like the silence before the storm, the animation is nice and serious too.

Guys I think the forums is a place to discuss the anime not only to say I like or hate or it's boring, no one care if you like or hate it but people care about what you think about what is happening in the episode
If you don't like something say why, and if you hate it please don't tell us every time just drop it and watch what you like, life is too short to waste.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2017 11:13 AM

Jul 2015
Wasn't impressed to begin with but the latter part of the show hooked me.

Good ED and catchy chorus in the OP.
Jan 10, 2017 11:16 AM

Mar 2015
Kittens-kun said:
lezerman said:
I liked it.

What do you expect? This is MAL. People will judge from one episode and think it's perfectly ok.

At least we will get a good ending since the manga is already complete...
(i hope so..)
Jan 10, 2017 11:18 AM

Jun 2013
I thought this was pretty good, and it has a lot of potential!
I just hope it doesnt turn out like Joker Game.
Jan 10, 2017 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
He reminded me of Toua.
Jan 10, 2017 11:25 AM

Jul 2007
Color me intrigued. This felt great.

Great and unique character designs, great OST, interesting premise of the cogs within functioning bureaucracy of a giant country, some foreboding promise for future, good dialogue, etc.

It certainly won't be the show for goldfish audience that is for sure(some of posts here and in other places are already depressing to read), but this is easily among the top 4 premieres this season.
Jan 10, 2017 11:27 AM

Feb 2015
All persons are comparing this with Joker Game. Both shows started good, but joker game ended up not telling a story through the episodes, I hope ACCA could develop a political/militar and maybe thrilling story and is made by Madhouse, we can expect some good things, also I like the characters.

The opening is very good, reminds me to Cowboy Bebop Op.
Jan 10, 2017 11:31 AM

Jul 2007
Atlas77 said:
All persons are comparing this with Joker Game.

There are already hints of ongoing bigger storyline and this is not trying to sell me on the idea that Japan was just a poor innocent victim in WW2, so its already NOTHING like Joker Game.
Jan 10, 2017 11:42 AM

Sep 2010
Pretty intriguing first episode showing interesting world setting and the type of MC I like the most.

One thing I would complain about was that at the very start voice actor of MC didn't fit for me at all. Sure as the episode went on I got used to it, as it always is the case, but I still think that someone else would do better. (Naturally it's not that this VA did bad, but simply with this type of character that voice really did not fit for me... especially when it's quite familiar voice as well)
Jan 10, 2017 11:43 AM

Jun 2015
Hm, could get really interesting down the road.
Jan 10, 2017 11:45 AM

Aug 2015
For me personally, I was about to say the word "boring" which a lot of people used as well. But, in all honesty, I wasn't bored, just sort of confused? I didn't get it, but hopefully I will get to know the characters and see something really cool happen later on. It was a decent first episode.
Jan 10, 2017 11:52 AM

Jan 2016
Not what I was expected, but that doesn't mean it was bad. I thought it had a fairly calm atmosphere for what it was, but I'm not sure if it was the source material or the adaptation but the start where Jean went to the farming place felt very fast-paced and the 'corruption' thing started and ended within a matter of minutes.
I'm glad that there's a lot of 'showing not telling' in this anime, like the fact him and is sister own the building where they live.
This art style is very unique, and doesn't strictly feel like anime, which is good in its own right.
I'll keep watching to see how it goes.
Jan 10, 2017 11:56 AM

Jun 2013
The OP was pretty cool. And that animation in the ending sequence. Reminded me of Yuri on Ice's OP, except there wasn't any reused animation here.

So there's this federation with 13 autonomous districts overseen by ACCA. Then there's this investigation department here which oversees ACCA itself and catches corruption and other stuff going on within. This department was being shut down, but after Jean uncovered a scam regarding illegal cigarettes in one district, the decision was taken back and Jean told to make surprise visits in 6 months.

Things look like they might be like Kekkai Sensen with seemingly unrelated episodes, but there's an overarching plot here. Jean is under observation for whatever reason. There are quite some fires. There's this thing going on about cigarettes. Jean lost his lighter which is now in the hands of the guy who was tailing him. Grossler is saying something about a coup. Something big is going on while Jean roams around on his inspection trips. Gonna stay here for more.
Jan 10, 2017 12:03 PM

Mar 2012
This kind of show needs to sell me on either the worldbuilding or characters, and it didn't do either.
Jan 10, 2017 12:13 PM

Aug 2015
I was really excited to finally get to watch ACCA's first episode after a long wait.

I enjoyed it, but actually I'm a bit disappointed of few things. Firstly the MC's voice actor choice. I mean, the VA per se is great, but it doesn't seem to fit the character as well as I hoped... Jean seems way older than his appearance, I don't know his official age, but I think I would have chosen someone with a more mature intonation in spite of this.

Anyway I think the VA is doing a great job and in some scenes he was quite in character (mostly for his laid-back attitude) so I think I can come to like it.
Also most of the female cast had a voice way too high-pitched that doesn't fit well in this kind of genre, though as cute as they are, they become pretty irritating at times. That's my opinion obviously.

I only got to read the first two chapters of the manga, but I can say that the pace was more slow and fitted well with the setting, while the anime obviously summarized it to fasten the plot.

Another thing I'm not really sure about is the way Lotta refers to Jean. He calls him "Onii-chan", but in the scanlated version of the manga he calls him by his first name, ergo "Jean". Now I know it's quite the idiocy to fuss over, but still I quite liked the way they interacted because it took me a bit to actually understand she was his sister since they didn't refer each other with the usual japanese honorifics.

In the end I'm really hyped to know more about this series! I have really high expectation on ACCA, I hope it will live up to them!
Jan 10, 2017 12:37 PM

Jun 2014
Interesting first episode. This art style is very stylish, vivid and colorful, the opposite of what you'd expect from this kind of show. I knew people would think of this as boring because it wouldn't be your typical anime series. The manga's author is very well known for not being your usual stuff. Looking forward for more and I'm quite curious how this will evolve. I didn't find this boring at all, the dialogue was really smooth and well done, the voice acting and the voice actors are also top tier. Plus the director should really bring out the full potential of the series. Should be good.
:3
Jan 10, 2017 12:40 PM

Mar 2016
Alhakam said:
I like this anime it's slow , jazzy and serious ,and it's refreshing because not a lot of this type anime out there , Jane has calm and cool personality , and nice world building, I think it's like the silence before the storm, the animation is nice and serious too.

Atlas77 said:
All persons are comparing this with Joker Game. Both shows started good, but joker game ended up not telling a story through the episodes, I hope ACCA could develop a political/militar and maybe thrilling story and is made by Madhouse, we can expect some good things, also I like the characters.

Kittens-kun said:

I guess that those 3 commentaries, above, sums up everything.
Good start, I'll keep an eye on it.
"[...]I have to admit I'm not a big anime fan. Most anime that makes it over here seems to be either about schoolgirls with supernatural powers who battle evil, or adolescent boys who - for some convoluted reason - wind up having to pilot big giant robots...although, today, you just need to put some boobs or harem and fantasy and it'll be 10/10."
Jan 10, 2017 12:50 PM
Jan 2014
The episode felt very long but in a good way. The show turned out to be exactly what I expected. Knowing the author, I'm eagerly waiting to see how the story will turn out.

I can see why people have wrong expectation for this show since they used such upbeat and energetic tone in the trailer.
Jan 10, 2017 12:52 PM

Sep 2013
Another great series that will be underrated because people have less attention span than monkeys.

Jean the inspector just doing his job even he's rich, really mellow and bored looking guy bad cigarette habit.
Looks like his department is still needed cause of all the stirring troubles about to break forth.

Op and Ed are really nice too.

Jan 10, 2017 1:01 PM

Apr 2011
his reminds me of Baccano but is more europe-ish...
Love it so far^^
Jan 10, 2017 1:06 PM

Oct 2012
Intrigued. What's going on at ACCA? What's up with the society they live in? What will happen if the wrong people see Jean smoking outside?

Looks like a story that's going to unfold slowly.
Jan 10, 2017 1:24 PM

Sep 2013
I hope that the guy trying to fuck Jean gets shut down quickly. Pretty annoying brat, I would say.
Jan 10, 2017 1:36 PM

Jul 2011
lol when they put 3 chapters worth of smoking in, it looks a bit ridiculous.

It wasn't bad, but it just makes me think Natsume Ono's style is better through manga. I hope they never adapt not simple.
I'd be really upset if they butchered that.
Jan 10, 2017 1:43 PM
Jan 2017
First off, if you thought this would be something other than a slow burning political or police drama, I don't know what to tell you. Go back and watch the PV with the volume on mute and you'll get the idea pretty quick.

Don't expect typical Madhouse visuals. A lot of the character designs are rather flat, almost like paper dolls or stick puppets. Character animations are a bit stiff and lifeless as well. Not unpleasant to look at, but would have liked more.

Did well enough for a first ep. Would have liked some more viewer involvement in the discovery section, but that could just be the mystery fan in me talking. Overall writing seems reasonably well done. Can already kinda tell where this is going, so if I keep watching all the way through, it'll be for how we get there.
Jan 10, 2017 1:54 PM

Jul 2015
Cool first episode, OP was good and ED was Ok.
Story was strange and kind of all over the place but it was good enough that makes you interested.
Looking forward to the next one :)
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2017

145 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 14, 4:52 PM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2017

54 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 14, 4:11 PM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2017

52 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 14, 3:42 PM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2017

91 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 14, 3:16 PM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2017

111 by Sun_Chan »»
Sep 14, 2:51 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.