Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
ACCA 13-Territory Inspection Department
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 28, 2017 7:56 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Whoa, the storytelling this episode got extended a lot this week especially the background storytelling.

I must say, it's interesting to learn more about the Royal family in particular princess Schnee, Qualm, Jean, and their story. I think in general, the series did a clever job at connecting the past into the present in the end especially after the revelation of Jean being part of royalty.

Soundtrack was nice this episode too.
Stark700Feb 28, 2017 8:30 AM
Feb 28, 2017 8:59 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Okay, I'd just like to say that I LOVE everything about Jean's mom and I think that she is GORGEOUS....And the soundtrack in this episode was fantastically fitting here

Other than that, this played out exactly how I thought it would have, except I thought that her guard was going to be who she settled down with.....If anything I think its clear that her guard is Groshular

I fel bad for both him and Nino because they were forced to sacrifice everything for this and at the end of it all, Nino lost his dad whom btw was a great man and Groshular clearly was in love with the princess and he was forced to let her go and watch her fall in love and start a family with another man

Seeing this whole thing play out was great and tough at the same time and I honestly enjoyed every bit of it (Also, I knew that Nino was without a doubt much older than Jean lol, that watching you for 30 years thing didn't trick me at all lol)

Amazing episode overall.....I feel like this episode hinted more to Groshular being behind the rebellion thing too since the Princess had ties to them and I feel like he's trying to finish what she started
Feb 28, 2017 9:02 AM

Dec 2014
Probably my favorite episode of ACCA till date.

We finally get the flashback about the Otus family history and I loved it. While it ended in the tragic deaths of Jean's parents and Nino's Dad, the flashback in itself had a strange pleasant feel to it and the segments with Jean and Nino becoming friends in high school were my favorite, The montage along with the insert song was lovely and gave the whole thing a really heartwarming feel to it. The park scene with Little Lotta was adorable as well.

Nino says since Schnee's name is no longer in the Dowa register, Jean has no claim to the throne. Is that really gonna be the case? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Apple Pie at the end. :3
Feb 28, 2017 9:30 AM

Mar 2015
For a moment i thought i was watching a movie, pretty cool insert song.

Great storytelling this episode, the best so far.
Feb 28, 2017 9:31 AM

Jun 2015
Amazing episode. The soundtrack was great. Got to learn more about the Royal family and various character's backstories. Nino decided to go with his father because he cares for him. They've been watching Jean's family for a long time. His father made him attend school to keep an eye on Jean. Schnee's guard is clearly Grosshular. Little Lotta is so cute. Jean has no claim to the throne and Schnee's name is no longer in the Dowa register.
Feb 28, 2017 9:44 AM

Jan 2015
what an incredibly amazing episode. i have no words. Spying on someone for 30 years NOW THAT'S SOME COMMITMENT. Funny how Jean always thought that the reason Nino was taking pictures was because of the hobby. I loved the insert song, heartwarming scene. And Nino and Lotte's first meeting is INREDIBLE too. The candy trick... The look on Nino's face when he learned about the tragedy T_T i felt for him.

I usually don't care about the flashbacks that much, but this is probably one of my favorite flashbacks ever. Really really interesting. And made me like Nino ton more. Jean too. He is pretty cool and emotionless, but i could feel him being very distressed after hearing the story. Lotte is such a cute kid too.
What was the significance of apple cake at the end? Episode ended with it. Does king also love apple cake or what?
Feb 28, 2017 9:54 AM

Jun 2014
It was nice to learn about the history and backstory of Jean's family and how all these things in the present day came to be. I really liked the part where it showed Nino and Jean becoming friends in school.

Some people seem to think that the Princess' guard is Grossular, which makes sense, but their voices don't sound the same. Unless somehow, the guard's voice changed in these 30+ years, but that would be odd since he was already an adult......idk, that seems like the most logical conclusion to draw though.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Feb 28, 2017 9:56 AM
Nov 2016
Hirugiku said:

What was the significance of apple cake at the end? Episode ended with it. Does king also love apple cake or what?

Apple cake is Nino's favorite cake... Besides that, I don't know what was the significance...
Feb 28, 2017 9:58 AM
Aug 2013
Loved it.. and loved how it made all the smaller pieces fall in neatly.
Like how the King knew who Jean was when he asked him to join him while eating cakes at the small café, or the kind of friendship Nino and Jean has.
Really a great episode :)

And yes - the kings favorite cake is the appletart ;)
its mentioned in ep3 where Lotta is recomended it at the Royal party around 18 minutes in to the ep

also i think the Grosular being the princess' aide is kinda stated from how the princess explains that his hair is even more special than hers (and the hair was what the Prince noticed when he connected Lotta to the princess at the party ep3)
MSpangeOFeb 28, 2017 10:03 AM
Feb 28, 2017 10:13 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was brilliant. The whole backstory on this.

Fake news on the princess death just to die in a train accident (Nino's father, too). She wanted a quiet life without having to deal with being royalty.

Grossular is likely Abend. My opinion of him just skyrocketed.

Poor Nino, man. Always had to work without having time to really grief.
Feb 28, 2017 10:17 AM

Jun 2013
This was an amazing episode! There was so much fit into 24 minutes and it still didn't feel rushed at all ^^

anime list
manga list
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
APC
Anime Advocates
Feb 28, 2017 10:20 AM

Nov 2009
Was surprised that Shnee's husband wasn't her bodyguard but a commoner. The bodyguard was totally Grossular, and now I understand why he said to himself "Naive" after Jean told him that he doesn't believe Grossular is involved with the coup. He knows that Jean is a prince, so he IS involved and wants Jean on the throne.

I'm also not convinced that Jean has no claim to the throne. It's not like Schnee was disowned, she simply died, even if the death was faked, and Jean was born as her legitimate child. It's basically no different from the youngest princess having that pompous moron Schwan, and the King himself can attest to Jean's identity. Besides, the King not naming Schwan his successor and inviting Jean and Lotta to the party, as well as going to meet Jean in that patisserie, points to him seriously thinking of making Jean his heir. So I seriously hope Jean can become the next king, for Dowa's own sake if nothing else, because anything is better than a self-centered arrogant fool of a prince on the throne.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Feb 28, 2017 10:21 AM

Dec 2015
This was a nice change from the kinda boring routine, it re-ignited my interest for the show.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 28, 2017 10:25 AM

Apr 2016
i want to get that song from the flashback scene right now .
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku
Feb 28, 2017 10:37 AM
Nov 2016
Some much needed insight into the royal family and Jean's life.

I am pretty sure that Abend is Grossular.... But for some reason Abend'sface wasn't revealed...
Feb 28, 2017 10:40 AM

Feb 2016
great episode. From animation to soundtrack, it was very good.

But now I'm more confused about who is Nino's other employer? back in episode 3, Nino was making report to someone outside the castle so it's not Qualm but probably Abend. Grossular was in the same room so it was not him. so I think maybe Abend is not Grossular??
Feb 28, 2017 11:06 AM

Sep 2013
Abend giving up his own happiness for the princess, doesn't seem like he's grosshular either :'(
Looks like the privy guy isn't so bad either.

Looks like the love of bread is hereditary, Shnee loves bread and met his love at the bread store.
Nino is 40 year old or so :O

Hirugiku said:

It's the king and nino's favorite cake, nino was the one who gave them the apple cake, maybe it'll become lotta's favorite too.

Feb 28, 2017 11:13 AM

May 2015
Amazing episode! Loved everything, from the soundtrack to the animation.
At first I thought it was kinda obvious that Abend was Grossular, which also explains why he fixed the train route problem. But the voices of Abend and Grossular don't match?? So I'm not sure anymore..
Jean was cleary upset/confused...
Feb 28, 2017 11:21 AM

Apr 2016
Monarchy should disappear. Quite surprising how clever Princess Schnee was for a noble.

It is a tragic lonely life for Nino : 17 years with only a father as relative and then nobody except a "best friend" he lied to during 15 years. He might feel a bit relieved now.

If Jean is officially no nobility, I'm still wondering where it's going from now on.
Feb 28, 2017 11:21 AM

Oct 2012
Wonderful episode; I was curious about the backstory for Jean and Nino so getting to see it all this week was great. The soundtrack was on point this week too as something that really stood out. This show continues to be really underrated in my opinion. Looking forward to a great episode next week too!
Feb 28, 2017 11:39 AM

Apr 2012
I'm shook. Well this was unexpected. But finally I understand what's happening, and OMG I have to admit that this is actually a good anime. o.O
OokamiRisuFeb 28, 2017 11:53 AM
Feb 28, 2017 11:40 AM

Sep 2007
my favorite episode so far <3

i have a question, anyone knows who the Danasama that Nino's father serve refer to? is it the King or the princess aide Abend? i got confused :S
Feb 28, 2017 11:55 AM

Dec 2014
wow quite a background story actually..Nino is so much older....
Feb 28, 2017 11:58 AM

Sep 2016
damn that was best episode so far
25 years old nino disguised as 14 years old freshmen? lol wtf
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 28, 2017 11:58 AM

Jan 2015
ichii_1 said:
Abend giving up his own happiness for the princess, doesn't seem like he's grosshular either :'(
Looks like the privy guy isn't so bad either.

Looks like the love of bread is hereditary, Shnee loves bread and met his love at the bread store.
Nino is 40 year old or so :O

Hirugiku said:

It's the king and nino's favorite cake, nino was the one who gave them the apple cake, maybe it'll become lotta's favorite too.

I guess it shows that they are related, this and the love for smoking. And that he is a legitimate heir more than the other prince.
Feb 28, 2017 12:03 PM

Sep 2016
i want to eat apple pie nowa
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Feb 28, 2017 12:53 PM

Aug 2015
I think it was a good choice to not build up the reveal of Jean's royalty and make it super dramatic. This fits much better with the calm tone of the show.
Feb 28, 2017 12:57 PM

Jan 2016
A really good calming episode. Glad they didn't leave the reveal that Jean was of royal blood to the last couple episodes but instead they let it kick start the second half of the series.
It makes sense how Nino is pretty tall for his age, compared to Jean even.
Feb 28, 2017 1:34 PM

May 2015
ACCA keeps getting better and better with each new episode, and my heart aches more and more with each passing minute that I think about the series.

This episode was phenomenal. The backstory fits in extremely well with the narrative, and seeing Nino's motives at last helped a lot with his characterisation.
Feb 28, 2017 1:37 PM
Mar 2016
Ok, so things are starting to fall in their place Princess Sehnee is a refromist, who aims to be closer to the people like a commoner, with the help of her aide and Nino's dad, she has to fake her death. So does this mean that Aben is actually Glossnar? If so he probably wants to implement a Coup in order to not let that asshole of a prince Schwan be king and instead let Jean be the king.
Feb 28, 2017 2:21 PM

Oct 2012
Hirugiku said:
I'm not completely sure but at the very least it was an allusion to the beginning of the ep where Nino had apple pie with his dad before leaving the kingdom.
Might be stretching a bit but in this context I would think that the cake also symbolizes or represents a coming change or leaving something behind, as that's what Nino and his father did, plus relative to how the plot is being built up I feel it's getting close to something to get the ball rolling anyways.
gust11Feb 28, 2017 2:24 PM
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Feb 28, 2017 2:48 PM

Dec 2015
So ... a lot of questions have been answered. Nice episode.We still don't know about the coup but at least we know all about the family/relationships between the major characters. I liked Nino's background story and how he got to know Jean.

I'm not sure about Groshular. Hair color ... yeah same as Abend. But Groshular introduced Nino as spy to the other chief officers. Either he faked this and suspecting Jean as someone plotting a coup to get more attention (and get others to suspect/watch him as well) or he really is someone else and not Abend.
Feb 28, 2017 3:10 PM

Dec 2015
I think this was the best episode so far, which is funny considering the main character didn't receive as much as screentime (or maybe that's the reason for why it was that good)

I agree with everyone, the music was really amazing this episode but I also loved the many different new color palettes! Especially during the scenes that took place in Nino and his father's apartment.

In general, the mood and tone of the flashback were really well conveyed and made this episode stand out a lot.
Feb 28, 2017 3:26 PM

Dec 2015
* Also concerning the identity of Abend, couldn't he still be the father of Lotta and Jean?

With coloured hair?

It's just that the fact that Abend followed Schnee's direction even after their parting, felt like a hint that he'll stay by her side.
Of course that could mean that he's just watching her from afar but I could also see him returning as Mr. Otus to her.

I just don't think it's Grossular and also can't see the series introduce another major character at this 'late' point (but I might still be totally wrong)
Feb 28, 2017 3:39 PM

May 2015
Probably this show's best episode up until now. That was some decent background storytelling. The soundtrack used in this episode was quite nice as well.

Feb 28, 2017 4:03 PM

Nov 2007
What a beautiful episode! both from artistic point of view and well,the story point of view.

So Niino was 25 when he started attending high school,i loled at that. But i felt bad for him when we realize his father also passed away during the train accident...so did Jean. It's like the information shook him up the most. I love their very unorthodox friendship.
Feb 28, 2017 4:06 PM

Sep 2016
look at Nino seiyuu he also looks so young lol
CrossAnge

Feb 28, 2017 4:46 PM

Sep 2013
How old are Nino, Jean and Lotta supposed to be?
Feb 28, 2017 4:48 PM

Feb 2017
I don't know if I'm just too emotional today or if it's fault of the flashbacks that I just found myself crying.

The princess' story was moving. She was a threat to the family for her ideology and her desire to be free of her royal duty, so his father --who understood this and loved her so much-- helped her to have a life of her own were she could actually be happy.

Nino's flashback showed us his role in the shadows, developed a nice father-son story, and presented how his relationship with Jean and Lotta started. What I find touching is the fact that the accident that took the life of Jean's parents was also where Nino's dad died. So Nino is compelled for his sense of duty, not for the crown or his role as a reporter of the princess' descendants, but for a sense of duty towards his father, the necessity to continue what he believed on. When Nino addresses his dead father saying "our prince has become a fine man" was a very beautiful, melancholic moment. Furthermore, Nino developed a friendship with Jean and Lotta, so he watches over them not only as a duty, but also because he actually cares for them.

Now, I don't think that Abend is Grossular, dates and facts from previous episodes make it unlikely. They may be from the same district if we take into account the hair, tho. I don't remember if he was presented before, but maybe the owner of the café is Abend and he keeps watching over Lotta and Jean? I mean, because of the apple cake.

This was a great episode with a marvelous plot/character development, I enjoyed it so much.
Feb 28, 2017 4:55 PM

Dec 2012
Nino seriously deserves an award for his dedication. Best boy for me.
allo
Feb 28, 2017 5:11 PM

Jan 2014
So Nino is like 40, Jean is 30, and his sister is around 20? More or less..?
Considering the final episode's date is March 28 (an exact month from now), I'm assuming there's only 4 more episodes. I wonder what's going to happen, hmm.. I'm pretty sure he has claim to the throne since she just "died." And what better king than someone who actually knows the struggle of the average person and has visited those places?

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 28, 2017 5:14 PM
Feb 2014
Holy moly Abend is actually Grossular! I thought they might've been related after last week's episode since both had white hair, but it's now so painfully obvious they're one and the same person.

It's honestly a pretty tragic tale, at least from Abend's perspective.

I'm just now sorta confused about Grossular's actions in the first few episodes now... Is his goal really to make Jean the successor? Was planting those rumours meant to raise his profile amongst the district leaders, to make it easier for Jean to succeed the throne? Does this mean Grossular really is planning on a coup because that's the only way to really get Jean's name back on the Dowa registry? And now, who exactly is Nino more loyal to - the King or Grossular? Also, it's a tad bit creepy how Nino and his dad's jobs were to be full-time Otus family stalkers...
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
Feb 28, 2017 6:12 PM

Jun 2011
I really liked this episode. It made me score the show already.

Duri1n said:
Holy moly Abend is actually Grossular! I thought they might've been related after last week's episode since both had white hair, but it's now so painfully obvious they're one and the same person.

I don't think he is. One can't just play dead and then assume an important role for the country out of the blue.
Feb 28, 2017 6:44 PM

Apr 2014
This is such an underrated show, definitely my favorite this season!
Feb 28, 2017 7:54 PM

Apr 2009
I wish I could give this show 11 out of 10. No, 12 out of 10. Or even higher.

Simply an amazing episode. It was even sort of heart warming, as everyone actually meant well for the Princess.

Jean sure is a lucky guy. Nino is truly a good friend, once-in-a-life kind of one.
To be or not to be... that is not the question. ;3
Feb 28, 2017 7:56 PM
Oct 2013
Sarah-Sama said:

i have a question, anyone knows who the Danasama that Nino's father serve refer to? is it the King or the princess aide Abend? i got confused :S

I think when he said Danasama (master), he means Abend, when he said Gokurosama (his majesty), he means the king. He swear loyalty to Abend after all.
Feb 28, 2017 7:58 PM
Apr 2015
Now it makes sense why Nino freaked out when the King thanked him personally! So far, I think the hair similarity of Grossular and Abend is a red herring: in episode 3, Nino presumably takes a phone call from Abend in front of Grossular.

(Nino calls Lotta princess in episode 3 kyaaa!)

in Ep 7, Nino says the shop in Dowa is best because of its apple cake (but it seems to me now to be a setup so the king can meet Jean), so maybe apple cake is a symbol for Dowa royalty (along with the Polish eagle, for some reason XD)
Feb 28, 2017 8:03 PM

Sep 2014
I wonder why they didn't show Abend's face. I guess there is a small chance he isn't Grossular?

Nino's life was pretty sad, he is such a good guy!

The apple cake :'(
GokuFeb 28, 2017 8:12 PM
Feb 28, 2017 8:40 PM

Nov 2016
I believe Grossular is not Abend, because if you guys remember, there's a district (Rokkusu district) where most of the people in that district resembles Grossular. And I think Abend was also from there, like Grossular.
Feb 28, 2017 9:26 PM

Feb 2015
The best episode so far, is like the answer to a lot of questions but I still don't see a problem apart from the coup. Jean and her sister being part of the royalty would take part in the future, I think.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2017

89 by fast2611 »»
Feb 1, 3:11 AM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2017

74 by milk_bun »»
Oct 24, 2023 4:47 PM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2017

116 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 19, 2023 4:50 AM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2017

200 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 19, 2023 2:37 AM

Poll: » ACCA: 13-ku Kansatsu-ka Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2017

143 by Netbug »»
Sep 5, 2023 8:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.