Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 3, 2020 1:40 AM
Jul 2014
Yuri-Crusader said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh my poor eyes hurts! So many ugly anime males it hurts just to look at them

Bad anime! Bad. Be ashamed of yourself!

For hurting my poor old eyes you get 1/10

Imo It should only have been cute girls

Someone needs to take your scoring privileges away. Why would you look at the cover and just automatically assume it would be yuri or only have girls?
Oct 3, 2020 4:06 AM

May 2018
Wowee we were thrown in like no tomorrow. I really hope everything is explained in the next 2 episodes
Oct 3, 2020 8:33 AM

Jun 2015
As we already up to spell 75, I get a feeling it will be like that time I learned The Ferengi Rules of Aquisition. Quite enjoyed it and only noticed it was a three eps one shot and not a series after coming here to comment on opening! Which seems a shame as it was looking pretty good!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Oct 3, 2020 10:06 AM

Dec 2016
It's a bit weird that in anime they skipped one-shot, especially since it is official introduction to the character and world of BTW and is explaining the connection between Bleach and this series.

Akira502002 said:
Do I need to read the manga (one shot)to understand the anime?

Definitely, some scenes (especially beginning) have more sense after reading one-shot.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeOct 4, 2020 10:58 AM
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.105/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.183/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.101/? - weekly) | Machi and Oboro (Ch.11/? - biweekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.74/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.61/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Oct 3, 2020 11:29 AM

Sep 2018
The publicity made at the time and the news released on this series of films had already intrigued me a lot, although it is not a classic anime that talks about witches in the strictest sense, I liked this first episode enough for how the topic was treated. The direction and the script worked although there was no originality. Speaking of drawings, animations and backgrounds, the work of those who made this anime is excellent, I almost did not think there was the "Colorido" animation studio, since the drawing style used is very different from the one it uses usually.
Oct 3, 2020 3:55 PM

Jul 2020
Well that was an utterly boring yet overall harmless... film? Despite being only 3 episodes and being classified as a movie, it really felt like it was meant to be a smaller part of some longer TV series. I feel that it would have worked far better as a 12 episode show as here there wasn't really much of an introduction or conclusion to the story. The characters were all ok, but they would also have worked much better with some more screen time to get to know them. Oh well, I guess it was only an hour long so it could have been much worse.
Oct 3, 2020 6:44 PM

May 2015
It was really fun to watch! The animation, world building, characters and music were sooo good. This makes me excited for the future of BtW and the return on Bleach!
✦✦✦Join the Bionix club✦✦✦

Oct 3, 2020 7:16 PM

Jul 2016
Bleach's author sure knows how to draw attractive women. Noel can step on me and make me lick that gadget shit every time she wants.

So... I can't make new threads for the other two episodes, uh? Wonder why is that but well. Guess I will return once I watch the rest... if I remember to come back here, that is.

====================================================

Wait? So Balgo's infatuation for Noel isn't exactly one-sided after all? Man, that last interaction between them sure was odd.

Well, already watched it but ended up being quite meh if I'm honest. Thought there would be some sort of minimal introduction regarding politics; ranks and common in-world terms but it felt like being thrown into some random episode, at the middle of a series. Skipping up, in the process, all details and explanations related to world building; character motivations and overall context.

As for the story, it felt random, predictable and surprisingly uninteresting for the most part. Noel and Ninny weren't particularly remarkable as MCs and the conclusion of the whole Cinderella/Macy story-line was pretty unsatisfying to say the least.

5/10 - Only good things I can mention about this movie/set of OVAs are the really eye-catching character designs; animation and overall aesthetics of the world. Everything else felt mediocre at best.
SouthRzVaOct 4, 2020 8:34 PM
Oct 3, 2020 7:18 PM

May 2012
Ambimunch said:
It was really fun to watch! The animation, world building, characters and music were sooo good. This makes me excited for the future of BtW and the return on Bleach!

Yeah the future is looking very bright and I'm sure this motivated Kubo as he also went to the cinema and liked the final product very much.
Oct 3, 2020 7:41 PM
Nov 2019
At first I thought we're going to see the same stuff from the manga but never expected they'd be adding characters and developing the story more!
The character designs are all amazing and the art is beautiful. I hope we're going to get more stories from it cause now that they developed the plot, the story needs to continue to see what's going to happen to Balgo and the rest of em. I also hoped that the first episode would be showing more of the manga but it's all great and I love it! x)
Oct 4, 2020 2:37 AM
Nov 2010
To start with the positives since I quite enjoyed watching this, they are pretty much the same as with Bleach, likable characters oozing with mostly coolness, interesting and gripping story and overall everything looking pretty and sounding pretty. I expected a story that has the same kind of appeal as Bleach but is different and I got just that. I'm very pleased!

The major negative is caused by it being an hour long yet it clearly aiming to be longer. Thus, many things were left unexplained or unclear. I was especially puzzled by how they are handling all of these cases of dragons and contact with them, and for that, you'd need to see more than one or two, obviously. Pretty much none of the characters were really fleshed out, which is due to a solid number of them being introduced and the focus on the story being interesting, instead, which I cannot say is a wrong decision.

For some nitpicks, the sword that was temporarily given to Balgo was shown for no reason. The last scene between him and the Noel switched quickly from one mood to another, which might take one's attention but is also not something to be appreciated. The pink-haired girl didn't seem to care so much about her dragon friend dying, at least a shocked face would've sufficed. There could've been slightly more preparation for the scene where the man shoots a laser at the dragon and kills it to not make it seem like a cheap resolution, a few more images and emotions shown from him before that scene would've been good. Noel and Ninny's decisions on how to escape with Balgo and the pink-haired girl were a bit weird and it was hard to imagine whether there's anything else in this world other than London and Reverse London, like is there Southampton or something? Brusseles?

And one more thing which is more of a personal preference. I would've liked it if the dragon wasn't killed by being shot through the crown. It'd have reinforced the fairy tales talk especially because there was even a setup with the information about its weakness not being certain. But then, since the dragon's motives were unknown, I have no idea what would have happened next.

Overall, it's definitely something I'd want to see more of.

Edit: So after also reading the manga (which is almost the same as the movie), I realized that the sword was not shown for no reason but was actually showing that the man that shot the laser from his finger was looking out for them and it seemed to have stunned the dragon for him to take the shot, which is not bad. The one-shot not being adapted was definitely a shame as it'd have made things clearer on the dragons in this world.
Tomislavr7Nov 2, 2020 8:23 AM
Oct 4, 2020 2:59 AM
Jul 2019
It was okay, kinda underwhelming though. Didn't really show anything that grabbed my attention. The premise is good, but I don't know where this is going at all. The plot seems straightforward yet all over the place. Is it over, is there more? I don't know. If there is more, then I'll check it out. If there isn't, then okay.

7/10, a low one at that.
Oct 4, 2020 5:37 AM

Feb 2014
As someone who's never seen/read Bleach this one was a shock. What's with those sassy characters, cool high tier's(that son of hero came outta nowhere) and amazing animations? Way too cool for a 3 episode movie. Hope this continues for another arc or more.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 4, 2020 5:55 AM

Jul 2015
Truly epic to see this with the great animation, story premise and cool designs but also some things from bleach but a bit different like the magic and stuff which makes me hyped for the bleach anime return. Bruno Bangnyfe really gives me the cool Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez vibes. Don't know whether being a dragonclad is a curse for Balgo by being ordered to be elimated because of the problem with the dragons or a blessing to be so close with best girl Noel. Kinda curious as to why the hell even touching a dragon is forbidden. Bit sad it's so short feeling more like a setup for one heck of an incredible world and interesting characters to explore, good to know Kubo continue the manga for this. Can't wait to see possibly more in the future on Nina, cute doggo owner Balgo, Wingbind organisation, The Märchens and of course best girl Noel.

Oct 4, 2020 8:18 AM
Jul 2016
I feel like this needed two things:

1) Another episode worth of content at the beginning to cover the one-shot. Having not read that manga until just now, the one-shot does a lot to fill in some character motivations and world building that did not even remotely make sense otherwise.

2) A more satisfying resolution to the Marchen/Cinderella fight.
2a) The fight does very little for character development and for the character of Macy especially. For how much lead up she had in terms of emotional attachment to that dragon, and how huge of a payoff it felt like we were about to have with it climbing onto that roof to look her in the eyes, for it to just get one-shotted, and then a hard cut to days/weeks later with few major consequences, took a ton of wind out of my sails.
2b) The fight doesn't make a whole lot of technical sense, especially after we were told it'd take five clean hits to the crown. Bleach suffered from the issue of fights being ended by a huge burst of previously unknown power out of nowhere, but at least that was usually from a character who was even in the fight in the first place, and the Marchen fight manages to even one-up that in terms of Deus Ex Machina.

In conclusion, this anime felt immensely stylish and had a few really fun bits of character and world building, but in its current form it feels like a series of stray thoughts with very little holding them together and I feel like Kubo needs a story editor *badly*
Oct 4, 2020 8:33 AM

May 2012
TohaJuuko said:

1) Another episode worth of content at the beginning to cover the one-shot. Having not read that manga until just now, the one-shot does a lot to fill in some character motivations and world building that did not even remotely make sense otherwise.

2a) The fight does very little for character development and for the character of Macy especially. For how much lead up she had in terms of emotional attachment to that dragon, and how huge of a payoff it felt like we were about to have with it climbing onto that roof to look her in the eyes, for it to just get one-shotted, and then a hard cut to days/weeks later with few major consequences, took a ton of wind out of my sails.
2b) The fight doesn't make a whole lot of technical sense, especially after we were told it'd take five clean hits to the crown. Bleach suffered from the issue of fights being ended by a huge burst of previously unknown power out of nowhere, but at least that was usually from a character who was even in the fight in the first place, and the Marchen fight manages to even one-up that in terms of Deus Ex Machina.

In conclusion, this anime felt immensely stylish and had a few really fun bits of character and world building, but in its current form it feels like a series of stray thoughts with very little holding them together and I feel like Kubo needs a story editor *badly*

I actually don't agree with the Märchen thing, if he can find ways how to deal with things in a way that's our of the norm and works I'm literally all here for that and I hope he continues this type of vision for everything he does actually to see just what he can create.
Oct 4, 2020 8:50 AM
Jul 2016
k11chi said:
TohaJuuko said:

I actually don't agree with the Märchen thing, if he can find ways how to deal with things in a way that's our of the norm and works I'm literally all here for that and I hope he continues this type of vision for everything he does actually to see just what he can create.

But for the purpose of the story that I feel like this was trying to tell, I don't think that Kubo cutting the metaphorical Gordian Knot worked one bit here. If there is any future Burn the Witch content, maybe I can be proven wrong, but for now as it stands the emotional resolution of this story feels incomplete and even hollow
Oct 4, 2020 5:20 PM

Aug 2019
I enjoyed it, only issue I had with it is the fact it was only 3 episodes long so hopefully the manga continues in the future so there’s a chance for a full season of this since that ending was too open to leave it off there.
Oct 4, 2020 5:29 PM

Mar 2010
Wish there was more. I'm sad that Cinderella died because it would've been nice if they had her in their team. That hilly billy is a hidden sniper? Why didn't he claim the points.

Lol did that dog just talk? Funny that balgo is running away with osushi in the end
Oct 4, 2020 6:30 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Pretty cool concept and chara design. This would've be cool if it was an actual tv series rather than a movie. Good job adapting a movie from a one-shot/manga. It does spark some interest for me to read the manga.

Soul Society West vs East branch when???
Oct 4, 2020 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
for manga drawing quality (as I saw in some page scans on google images), I thought the animation could be better... actually, we're dealing with magic, supernatural power and stuff, so, at least, in battle against dragons scenes could be better visually.

secondly, I don't get the hype this movie is having, for me it's just okay for this 1st episode, no expectations marked. but I realized that this Tite Kubo guy is really good in fantasy genre, pretty capable of creating an interesting universe...
Oct 4, 2020 8:07 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Gimme more goddamnit

The only big problem with this is that its way too short.

Usually, it'd give it a 7 at best because, there are definitely moments that need explanations but it was such a joy and an easy watch, it feels wrong to give it lower than an 8.
Oct 4, 2020 9:40 PM

Apr 2020
Man, I love it so much! Even though Noel gives Balgo a proper hug in the Manga, here it felt much cuter (For Anime onlys she hugged him because the order to kill him had been lifted)

I really look forward to some more and we can finally confirm that this is the same Universe as the original Bleach story ("Soul Society West Branch" on that gate that Ninny wanted repaired).

It will probably expand on the Marchens and the missing member of the Boss guys, then there is also the Junior guy.
--AbiSa--
Oct 5, 2020 6:01 PM

Jan 2008
Feels weird to be considered a movie with 3 separate short episodes.

If Kubo's good at anything, it's his art. Could probably do without the danger prone male lead but I guess he can stay since Osushi is cute.

Bruno's fighting style was pretty cool. Street punk graffiti style spell casting, that's a first in my book.

Strangely refreshing to see the Soul Society banner and a bonus panty shot to end us off. Would be pretty cool to see a BTW reference in the upcoming Bleach anime.
Oct 6, 2020 7:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's just great to see Kubo's artstyle and chara design once again
Oct 6, 2020 12:26 PM

Apr 2020
Gorgeous production value. I liked the character, and dragon designs. There was potential. But the narrative was an absolute mess. While the two leads had some fairly nice dynamics, they were rather uninteresting on their own; as were the rest of the characters. The problem is that they adapted four chapters that were the first volume (a setup) to a larger story into a movie format. This should have never been a move.

They cut some of the world-building, which I understand because it was irrelevant from a movie standpoint.
Oct 6, 2020 4:57 PM

May 2012
Punkuin said:

They cut some of the world-building, which I understand because it was irrelevant from a movie standpoint.

It would have been welcome but I understand why they don't adapt another 60+ pages to build it up as it slows it down of course. They probably saved a ton in production fees by not making it a feature length that way while from what I'm seeing they also made more by making it only have the core story.
Oct 7, 2020 7:25 PM

Jul 2013
Great art and story. The main characters were amusing. I wish/hope the manga will continue somehow.
Oct 7, 2020 7:37 PM
Mar 2014
I waited so long for this! Finally Tite kubo back on track. The animation is so freaking beautiful I can’t wait to see how bleach is gonna look. Kubos art man I love it!! Nene and Noel are cute and Balgo is a good douche of an mc for a change (with good soft tone/VA that makes him seem soft and kind) and the characters don’t piss me off unlike most anime and their characters and obviously you know Kubo and his characters are cool and badass
ShinXShinraOct 7, 2020 8:14 PM
Oct 8, 2020 7:25 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020

So, for the sake of its promising continuations, and its great arts, and beautiful designs, this suited enough at my 7/10. Thats it for me.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 9, 2020 2:55 AM

Oct 2009
I actually really enjoyed this!
It was fun to watch, and the characters were nice.
Bruno was way too similar to Grimmjow which is a plus! :D
Always a treat to see Kubo-sensei's art!

Though I still don't get how this in the same universe as Bleach..

Would be nice to see more!
7/10
Oct 9, 2020 3:20 PM

May 2009
Much better than manga chapters.
Oct 9, 2020 9:31 PM

Sep 2008
CAN'T Believe this is only a movie/3ep!!

Was expecting more to watch this week and find out it's not coming. Super SAD right now. Definitely wanted more!
Oct 9, 2020 9:44 PM

Dec 2014
the concept was good but still vivid
Oct 10, 2020 12:21 PM

Nov 2008
It's been a long time since i've read the one-shot manga, but one thing i remember is that the male lead was absolutely annoying. This anime sequel reaffirms that my memory is indeed correct. He plays the role of a 'village idiot', causing constant trouble for everybody. I struggle to feel any kind of sympathy towards both him and Macy. If the story revolved solely around the dynamic duo of the two main witches it would have been better in my opinion.
GenoardOct 10, 2020 2:40 PM
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Oct 10, 2020 7:52 PM

Nov 2014
now im very confident that colorido will definitely be good for bleach. that animation and visuals are v beautiful!

Oct 10, 2020 10:40 PM
Nov 2018
i loved this adaptation, studio colorido knocked it out of the park. this is coming from a manga reader, so i have an inherent bias lol. at first i thought this movie was only going to do the one shot for the 60 minute run time, but was surprised they were adapting the 4 chapters instead.

i can see why anime only peeps will not like this since it feels like you're being thrown midway into an established story without any background. i personally don't mind it since i find the world so fascinating. i hope studio colorido can continue being the studio that does the anime for future burn the witch content.
Oct 11, 2020 12:47 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, that Soul Society sign reference.

Tite Kubo's humor definitely translates into this anime with the comedy and character interactons. I assume the spells used from this episode is a reference to kido from Bleach as well.

Surprisingly entertaining imo. They should make a full anime out of this someday if the manga gets enough chapters.
Oct 11, 2020 2:38 AM

Nov 2019
Balgo is awful in every respect and I'm having some real difficulty understanding how this society's most prolific criminals are allowed free reign to do as they please. Bleach at least pulled the manipulation card... here there doesn't seem to be any justification at all.

It's certainly engaging visually though.
Oct 11, 2020 12:27 PM

May 2012
Offkorn said:
Balgo is awful in every respect and I'm having some real difficulty understanding how this society's most prolific criminals are allowed free reign to do as they please. Bleach at least pulled the manipulation card... here there doesn't seem to be any justification at all.

It's certainly engaging visually though.

Bruno is nothing compared to the Gotei...
Oct 12, 2020 12:59 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
They did show her panties on the last ep. 10/10, I am ready to fap now
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ཐི♡ཋྀ «•«━━━━┙
Oct 13, 2020 10:03 PM
Mar 2012
Cool designs, action camera & even osts. Bruno with that gangsta spray theme & mask was top cool. Balgo tho mostly stayed retarded & annoying.
lots of worldbuilding sometimes a bit much, 7 marchen dragons etc seem interesting, definitely need sequels.
The main piper pair is fun & Ninny's funny faces the best.
Oct 15, 2020 4:27 AM
Mar 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was good and most importantly it did not disappoint nonetheless. Smooth animation especially during the battles and the background settings was very well animated. Kudos to Studio Colorido. The characters especially Noel and Ninny were well relived from the manga.

I can see this show expanded further. There are many plot holes and questions yet to be answered. A movie isn't enough to delve into the plot and characters. The western setting reminded me more of Harry Potter compared to Bleach's edo period

Oct 17, 2020 12:52 PM

Mar 2019
If this OVA /movie can be turned into a TV anime, it'll be so sick.

The animation is top-tier, characters' design is amazing and astonishing, expected from Kubo, the story may be rly good if it was an anime since there was only lil time to insert many things, overall, it was a good experience.
Oct 18, 2020 4:37 PM
May 2020
Whelp apparently no-one's made a discussion yet after so long so your welcome I guess.
Thought's on the episode: this was probably the best episode out of the 3 and there were some pretty good moments too.
Noel and Ninny 'defeated' Cinderalla, Balgo got released, Macy joined the team, got the panty shot from Noel at the end of the ep.

Overall, this show was a good 7/10. Hopefully, they make a season 2 or somethin', or I'll just check out the manga.
Oct 19, 2020 3:18 AM

May 2012
RamenIsSooooGood said:
Whelp apparently no-one's made a discussion yet after so long so your welcome I guess.
Thought's on the episode: this was probably the best episode out of the 3 and there were some pretty good moments too.
Noel and Ninny 'defeated' Cinderalla, Balgo got released, Macy joined the team, got the panty shot from Noel at the end of the ep.

Overall, this show was a good 7/10. Hopefully, they make a season 2 or somethin', or I'll just check out the manga.

nope the mod just deletes this thread as you're not allowed to make more than EP1.
Oct 20, 2020 3:20 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
The last two posts have been merged into this thread.
Oct 21, 2020 12:19 AM
Mar 2020
This thing should have way better in a 12 episodes or more format, 3 episodes just feels wasted potential
Oct 21, 2020 5:19 AM

Dec 2008
Ep 3 > It looked like the dragon was controlled? And got killed as was not needed any more : (.
Oct 23, 2020 10:23 AM

May 2015
How to train your dragon?
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Burn the Witch Episode 3 Discussion

Adnash - Apr 8

2 by Rithic »»
Sep 5, 9:36 AM

Poll: » Burn the Witch Episode 2 Discussion

Adnash - Apr 7

0 by Adnash »»
Apr 7, 11:40 PM

» Who is better Ninny or Noel?

DSAO086 - Jan 3

20 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 5, 9:53 AM

» Your favorite character in Burn the Witch(ANIME ONLY)

DSAO086 - Jan 3

9 by oogaboogascary »»
Jan 4, 7:51 PM

» Anime adaptation announced.

Piromysl - Sep 16, 2023

9 by Etherius_ZS »»
Jan 3, 4:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.