Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 29, 2013 1:48 PM
Mar 2012
This is weird - but good.
Shame about the tearoom, though.
Jul 29, 2013 2:15 PM
Oct 2012
Choroshi said:
now i'm really curious, why Benten was on Ebisugawa family's boat? what's the connection between her and them? and the most important question is, where's Kaisei?? i thought she would appear since she's also an Ebisugawa.

Well, last episode we know the Ebisugawa brothers had talked to her. From the first episode we know that Benten has a massive amount of respect (and more than a little fear) from the greater Tanuki community, so my guess is that the Ebisugawa father invited her to increase his appeal among the Tanukis by showing his acquaintance with her. Remember the MC's brother keeps mentioning that an election is about to take place, my guess is that this election is for someone to succeed their father, the eldest brother is running for the position, Ebisugawa wants either to block it or take over (which raises the question whether he had something to do with the MC's father's death).

Benten was with the Ebisugawas for fun. Don't forget that she knew that E-brothers had asked her not to give the MC the platform, so she knew that they would attack. She also just "happened" to leave the fan there for the MC to use and had shown him that it was there. So she was able to lower the Ebisugawa prestige (getting their ship destroyed) without anyone but the MC knowing what she did.

Kaisei probably got excused because she was a girl, and her father was obviously in attack mode. I wouldn't be surprised if her and Benten have a connection as well.

Probably useless fact. In Japanese mythology Benten is a member of the seven gods of fortune (who were mentioned this issue) and is the only female, in the first episode the Friday group had seven members, and Benten was the only female. Coincidence? Probably not. Meaningful? We will find out next week!
Takuan_SohoJul 29, 2013 2:28 PM
Jul 29, 2013 2:37 PM

Aug 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

Well, last episode we know the Ebisugawa brothers had talked to her. From the first episode we know that Benten has a massive amount of respect (and more than a little fear) from the greater Tanuki community, so my guess is that the Ebisugawa father invited her to increase his appeal among the Tanukis by showing his acquaintance with her. Remember the MC's brother keeps mentioning that an election is about to take place, my guess is that this election is for someone to succeed their father, the eldest brother is running for the position, Ebisugawa wants either to block it or take over (which raises the question whether he had something to do with the MC's father's death).

Kaisei probably got excused because she was a girl, and her father was obviously in attack mode. I wouldn't be surprised if her and Benten have a connection as well.

Probably useless fact. In Japanese mythology Benten is a member of the seven gods of fortune (who were mentioned this issue) and is the only female, in the first episode the Friday group had seven members, and Benten was the only female. Coincidence? Probably not. Meaningful? We will find out next week!

thanks for the explanation. the fact about the gods is pretty interesting, and i think your speculation about the connection between Benten and Kaisei in another thread might be true or possible. can't wait for the next episode!

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jul 30, 2013 1:07 AM

Jun 2012
Really cool episode again, so exciting ^^

I just realized how they put some detail into everyone in the 'crowd' scenes, really good of them ^^

=O Waah, so cool xD

Yasu-kunJul 30, 2013 1:29 AM

Jul 30, 2013 3:41 AM

Dec 2012
The episode was epic - the battle with the fireworks was just splendid!

So, The Manpukumaro, the Cruise Leisure Boat the Shimogamo had lost, was in a similar battle, due to the Ebisugawas, setting it on fire with the fireworks. After the latter failed to humiliate the Shimogamos in attending the this year party, they tried to destroy the Flying Teahouse again.

BUT! Yasaburou didn't falter (what are doing Yaichirou!?) and perhaps explains how the father subtly pushed Yasaburou as his 'true' heir, dealing with Tanuki's affairs the tanuki and 'idiotic' way:

I found it anyway, so for those interested this is where it comes from:

You will have long heard tell of me.

Here I am now, before your eyes!

At Miidera everyone knows me: me, the

practitioner-monk Tsutsui no Jōmyō Meishū, a

man stalwart against a thousand! …

More specifically, the father version:

We learned that the transformation took a toll on Souichirou, that's why he rested in his animal form as a tanuki. It could turn important later, since we don't know yet how he was killed. Truth to be told, those Friday Fellows don't look vicious (unlike the envious and stupid Ebisugawas :I).

Simply epic! A tanuki whipping whirls with the tengu's Fujin/Raijin folding fan!

Speaking of which, Tengu Sensei is either the most pure male tsundere out there, or just insanely good at pulling WataMotes left and right :} If anything, because he survived the fall of the Flying Teahouse by himself, I am beginning to seriously doubt that he can't fly - he just pretends to be disabled and it is his way of seeking more of Benten's attention. If so, she was right to tell off Yasaburou in staying out of hers and Yakushibo's relationship (obviously, she knows how spoiled, self-centered, and obsessive could be Sensei way better than Yasaburou could even imagine).

Anyway, I think that the Runaway Yasuburou in the end has something to do with Katsura Kogoro (Kotarou in Gintama) and his nickname, because of the Ikedaya Incident in Kyoto, where the real Katsura was tipped by a geisha - perhaps the same one he later married to - to avoid the meeting and the arrest in the subsequent Shinsengumi attack.

Why run away? Because of this :D

Man, I love this show! ... ^^
zellamiJul 30, 2013 3:50 AM
Jul 30, 2013 4:10 AM

May 2013
Lol at Yaichirou's other form. But I still have respect for it!

The cat twins and their family have a nice flying ship, but too bad it got destroyed during the fireworks war!

All I can say is that Professor Akadama was pretty cool when he was still a young Yakushibo Nyoigatake.
But compared to Professor Akadama, Soichiro Shimogamo is freakin' awesome!
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Jul 30, 2013 2:22 PM

Jul 2010
Why is this show so fabulous and perfect?

This episode was the highlight of the series till now. The battle was perfectly executed, the animations, the music, the atmosphere ect. everything was in harmony. Also, most importantly I fell in love with every character.

If you keep saying that this series deserves 7/10, I will take you for a fool then.
AkanezoraJul 30, 2013 2:26 PM
Jul 30, 2013 2:25 PM

Oct 2011
Bad*** way to fed off those Ebigasawa group. Epic!!!! Their dad was awesome
Jul 30, 2013 5:00 PM

Jun 2012
Fireego said:
Lol at Yaichirou's other form. But I still have respect for it!!

Took me a repeat viewing to realize he was trying to imitate their late dad
Jul 30, 2013 6:37 PM

Mar 2013
Easily becoming one of my favorites this season
Jul 30, 2013 7:23 PM

Jun 2013
beautiful episode that firework fight in the sky was so sick. every time i watch this anime i feel like im watching a miyazaki movie.
Jul 30, 2013 7:50 PM
Oct 2012
BattousaiLuffy said:
beautiful episode that firework fight in the sky was so sick. every time i watch this anime i feel like im watching a miyazaki movie.

Not Miyazaki, Takahata. Both Studio Ghibli founders, though Takahata is Miyazaki's sempai. Takahata does the serious work at Ghibli (Grave of the Fireflies). This year both he and Miyazaki are releasing new movies; Takahata's will be かぐや姫の物語, or the Bamboo Cutter (if you saw Boku Tomo Next - it was the movie that Kobata was in).

Takahata also did a Tanuki movie which is obviously an inspiration for this show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pom_Poko

But to give credit where credit is due, this show is highly original. Inspiration, but not derivative.
Jul 30, 2013 8:35 PM

Jul 2013
Simply a beautiful episode. Particularly the firework fight and more flashbacks of their father, I really enjoyed both of those parts. Excited to see more of the Friday Fellows next week!
Jul 30, 2013 9:50 PM

Apr 2013
I swear Yashirou Shimogamo is so cute!
Jul 30, 2013 11:26 PM

Apr 2011
This episode was tons of fun.
Jul 31, 2013 5:50 AM

Nov 2009
This episode was so funny. Their father was quite the prankster. And Yasaburo the Fugitive was funny. I'd love to have a mom like theirs.
Jul 31, 2013 10:33 AM

Aug 2010
That was a very good episode.
I think I'm liking this more and more, especially that little tanuki otouto <3
Jul 31, 2013 11:39 AM

Jul 2010
Haha, great episode. :) I loved the fight, soo funny. BGM was perfect again, as always. Especially that jazzy piece during the fight. It made everything 1000x better. :)

Ooh, looks like Benten's asking someone out in the preview. Is it Yasaburo? The world will never know~

But seriously, that flying tea room is so adorable. I wish I had one of those...! And Yasaburo's little brother is too cute as well. x3
Aug 1, 2013 2:08 PM

Jan 2012
Raah that damn old man... he likes alcohol too much ^^"
Aug 3, 2013 4:33 PM

Apr 2012
Such an eccentric family haha, I can't help but love them all :D

Also, the fireworks fight in the air was pretty awesome! Like mother like son XD
Aug 5, 2013 7:20 AM
Dec 2011

Moderator Edit
Large Picture
Suzune-chanAug 8, 2013 12:57 PM
Aug 6, 2013 4:23 PM
Jul 2018
"Fled with so much skill" LOL that had me cracking up.
Aug 8, 2013 10:59 AM

Jun 2008
Zyrocz said:
The fact that this show only has a rating of 7.31 amazes me.

Enough with annoying individuals like you. That a fine score to have. If you think everything has to have a 10 and that the score is only from 7 to 10 is your problem.
Aug 12, 2013 9:54 AM

Jul 2011
just watched an epic air battle
Aug 18, 2013 12:26 PM
Apr 2013
How can the humans be so calm about cooking them in a hotpot when they are so much like humans? It's almost like cannibalism.
Aug 25, 2013 11:29 AM

Dec 2012
What a great episode! That fight was amazing~
I love this show
Aug 25, 2013 10:37 PM

Jan 2012
Where did the little brother go at the end?
Sep 15, 2013 2:08 PM

May 2010
The ending of this episode where he had the horrifying revelation and could only bring himself to start running as fast as possible, oh man... that was some good stuff.
Sep 22, 2013 1:14 PM

Apr 2012
Impressive.
BattousaiLuffy said:
every time i watch this anime i feel like im watching a miyazaki movie.
This episode felt like Spirited Away for me.

Eksta said:
Where did the little brother go at the end?
He was in tanuki form in his mother's arms.
Oct 20, 2013 7:17 AM

May 2012
Pretty lovely episode, really like how the story develops!
Nov 6, 2013 7:00 AM

Oct 2012
Wow fireworks wars!!
I can't imagine that in real life, but I want to do it.. in a flying teahouse/parlor xD
Raijin fan is too OP
Oh, sensei... It's your own parlor, take care of it not drink its fuel =="

Lol Yasaburou the fugitive
R.I.P. Yasaburou in a stew pot

Noto Mamiko's chara... I don't want to see Bentei's anger >_<
"Signature removed"
Dec 11, 2013 2:17 PM

Apr 2013
I can believe that i put this show on hold and forgot about it -_-

Akadama-sensei does not simply give up on the last bottle of booze :D
Dec 16, 2013 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

A slice of life as only PA Works can do, the plot to speak again of the exploits of his dead father, sketches out a jolly evening between Tanuki, Benten sly meanwhile standing there watching.
Narrative is a hoot. Too bad the show does not last so long.
I hope there is further introspection of the characters and I plan to also find out what is the purpose of Benten in history.
Technically it is very nice, as always! XD
Dec 26, 2013 4:42 AM
May 2012
Damn, that looks really fun, I want to experience it too!!!!

This Anime is really fun, the scenery, the atmosphere and the characters, I really like it :D

It's nice to hear and see dad again :D
Jan 2, 2014 7:44 PM
Jul 2018

Loved those throwing of fireworks. HAHA
Jan 8, 2014 4:43 PM
Aug 2013
I want to ride in the Inner Parlor too!!! (maybe not, I wouldn't have survived that crash)
Shout out to the Professor, that thing you just crashed is ***king yours

haha the Mom, she's really awesome!!

and the flashbacks Yasaburo had in a festival with their dad, where Yajiro is shown in his human form doing normal things *_* oh dear cutie
Yachiro is so cute

that Fujin Raijin fan though it's too awesome

r.i.p. Yasaburo

The family is really eccentric

((The shows overall score now is 8.13, thanks goodness because a 7 something just doesn't sound right ))
Jan 12, 2014 6:33 PM

Aug 2008
This episode was fun. I never knew this show would be more enjoyable to watch than what I expected. And Benten looks dawn hot as usual in her yukata clothes.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Dec 5, 2014 2:28 AM

Feb 2013
This episode went by fast. It was enjoyable. So it wasn't Benten that made that storm in the preious episode but it was that fan. Benten sure is mysterious. I wonder what she wants.
Feb 24, 2016 11:41 AM

Sep 2014
Nice Episode. The whole battle of fireworks was fun to watch.
May 23, 2016 12:36 PM

Apr 2009
BAIT!
that younger brother is bait!
nothing but bait, i know it *_*!
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Jan 2, 2017 7:12 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Things will get interesting now as the main lost Benten's fan and she will likely have him do something for the Friday Fellows.

Questions now are:

- What exactly happened that the father got eaten?
- Who is Kaisei?
- What is Benten's deal?
Mar 27, 2017 11:20 AM

Sep 2015
Wow what a gorgeous episode. The mid air battle between the Ebisugawa's pirate ship and Benten's flying forum was pretty spectacular. This show has genuinely great animation, not quite but approaching movie quality. Definitely very cinematic. I liked Benten moving out of the way, both times she realized the Ebisugawa's were about to get wrecked. I liked the fireworks battle and the badass fan thing that reminds me of a similar fan from Dragon Ball. I laughed harder than I have in the series at Akadama sensei chugging the last of the sake. Rather than save the plummeting tea room.

Yasaburo's going to have a lot to answer for next time. Though Benten saw how it played it maybe she'll blame the Ebisugawas. Doubtful. Aside from being a fun action based episode, there was also some cool story revelations. As we get a flashback to when a much younger Akadama met the boys father. I like how anecdotes about Papa Shimogamo feel like larger than life tall tales. Yeah this one tanuki transformed into a whole mountain! Like plants, animals the whole nine yards! So ridiculous but kind of amazing. So basically Akadama feels indebted to him. He should feel indebted to Yasaburo too for humoring his tsundere ways. He's just in constant debt to this family. Anyways next episode should be pretty nuts.
Apr 18, 2017 3:59 PM
Aug 2014
Could really do without the Tanuki stew allusions all the time; it's freaking me out. Humans eating other sentient lifeforms, but for some reason said lifeform doesn't seem all that bothered by it.
Aug 31, 2017 11:52 AM

Apr 2015
The other family, of course, had to come and try to outdo them.

Benten, you traitor! You're on the wrong boat...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 4, 2017 4:44 PM

Jan 2014
"What a coincidence seeing you here." Lol.. never change.. never change.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 5, 2017 2:32 AM

Mar 2015
I was hoping to see the unshown Kaisei but ah, maybe at a later point.

Fun episode, the fireworks shenanigans was something I definitely haven't seen in other anime!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 19, 2018 12:18 AM

Sep 2013
It was ok. I'm just not really getting into this anime for some reason.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 14, 2019 2:36 AM

May 2009
They really like to just sit down and chat about the past in this anime. I'm not really into it.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jan 30, 2020 2:25 PM

Nov 2016
Run my boy, run!

Episode was literally a blast.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 29, 2020 12:22 PM

May 2016
The amount of effort put into this episode alone is praiseworthy.
enjoyed the hell out of it, hopefully he doesn't end up in the as food.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

106 by Karva1 »»
May 10, 3:10 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2013

185 by Karva1 »»
May 10, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2013

95 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.