Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 4, 2013 6:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Let the fun begin:

Fun episode and the atmosphere sure is pleasing to me. OST is decent and the night scenes fits quite well with the overall mood of the episode imo.
Aug 4, 2013 7:27 AM
Dec 2012
He was lucky. He should've given her a cup of water when she had told him to catch the moon. Wish he had asked her why she ate his dad.

In PV, they said "summer." I thought it was already autumn cuz he had said he kept hiding till autumn in previous episode.
Aug 4, 2013 8:34 AM

Jan 2012
Stark700 said:
Fun episode and the atmosphere sure is pleasing to me. OST is decent and the night scenes fits quite well with the overall mood of the episode imo.

Surprised me as to how lighthearted they seem to be.
Wonder why Benten was muttering "so sad, so sad" :/
Kudos to Yashiro for keeping his cool with them, even though they ate his father.

Takuan_Soho said:
Eminagnam: In the previews they showed a red leaf falling, so it is definitely Autumn. Also, did anyone else notice that Tanuki at the extreme end of the preview?

Wonder if he's going to be the tanuki-to-eat at new years :/
Aug 4, 2013 8:56 AM

Feb 2012
Yeah, I'm done with Uchouten. This show has been too much plot-hinting without any "actual plot" happening, the cryptic dialogue has started to become as irritating as Monogatari's, and the characters are not holding my attention.
FlawfinderAug 4, 2013 9:00 AM
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Aug 4, 2013 9:20 AM

May 2013
He got off with not being eaten this time.
Aug 4, 2013 9:41 AM

Aug 2010
Another really nice episode. Loving this series :)

Yasaburo is such an awesome character acting like that in front of the people who ate his father.

Lol'd at how he transformed to Benten and started stripping a bit XD

But really the relationship between him and Benten is so complex with how they both seem to like&hate each
other but at the same time there's like a wall between them. Really interesting relationship there.

I really want to see the Ebisagawa imouto. She seems to be a cute tsundere.
Aug 4, 2013 9:42 AM

Jun 2012
The Friday Fellows were definitely not what I was expecting which put me a little on edge throughout the whole episode

Yasaburo's way of dealing with Benten is probably the only reasonable one without making yourself go insane. Can't outright avoid her forever with her army of Tengu at her disposal so you just have to be on alert and play it by ear

Part 2 of their little date continues next week and I'm interested to see who that other Tanuki is that was shown in the preview

I swear if the Mom actually gets eaten....
Would be kind of counter productive from Hotei's PoV though. Saving a Tanuki only to eat it years later
HybridMBLAug 4, 2013 9:55 AM
Aug 4, 2013 9:53 AM

Jul 2013
I'm amazed at how Yasaburo can act so calm around the people who ate his father, I guess he's just being smart and trying to not get eaten, but it seemed he was having a good time though.

I also wonder why Benten said "So sad, so sad" towards the end of the episode...
Takuan_Soho said:
And anyone else notice who Hotei's Tanuki was?

Eminagnam: In the previews they showed a red leaf falling, so it is definitely Autumn. Also, did anyone else notice that Tanuki at the extreme end of the preview?

I'm sure we all know who Hotei's Tanuki is, but I'm not so sure about the one towards the end of the preview.
Aug 4, 2013 10:35 AM
Mar 2012
These people are kinda sick. Especially Benten and that Prof.
Aug 4, 2013 11:36 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
^Yeah I'm not too sure about their "I love them so much I want to eat them" thing....but Benten does seem sad at the thought of eating Yasaburo :/ Their relationship sure is complicated, but it's so interesting at the same time. I'm always wondering what kind of interaction they will have with each other. I liked the bgm that was playing during the scene when they both left the party.

Kaisei is pretty cool for a Ebisugawa, visiting Yasaburo like that. Too bad it's kind of because of her that Yasaburo finally got caught. But I guess even he knows that he can't be running away for forever. Hopefully he's not the one to be eaten anytime soon D:
Aug 4, 2013 12:07 PM

Apr 2012
I just feel like this is all going to end horribly for every character.
Aug 4, 2013 12:42 PM

Jan 2011

That explains the "Be Interesting! Raccoon dog!" in the OP.

VioLinkAug 4, 2013 12:50 PM
[center]
Aug 4, 2013 1:03 PM

Jul 2012
Great episode!!!
Aug 4, 2013 1:40 PM

Mar 2012
So, should we still expect any plot at this point?
It is getting really ridiculous how the tanuki are literally waiting to be eaten.
They living like they are domesticated livestocks.
Considering their power, they can practically declare war on their predators and reclaim their digity. Pathetic..
Yasaburou is total opposite of Eren from AoT, instead of fighting back, he bow down and serve the people, whom possibly ate his father. No wonder he like dressing like a chick, because he don't have any balls.
Aug 4, 2013 1:59 PM

Apr 2012
jugann said:

Surprised me as to how lighthearted they seem to be.
Kudos to Yashiro for keeping his cool with them, even though they ate his father.

^ This.
Aug 4, 2013 2:23 PM

Jan 2012
Really nice episode.
Aug 4, 2013 3:02 PM

Mar 2013
loving them so much that they would eat them o-o
Aug 4, 2013 3:55 PM

Oct 2009
hmmm, this ep makes me more curious about the plot and why the Friday Fellows are the "villains" (other than eating the father) o.O

quite enjoyed the night scenes with Yasaburou and Benton ^_^
Aug 4, 2013 4:48 PM

Apr 2011
leeo268 said:
It is getting really ridiculous how the tanuki are literally waiting to be eaten.
Considering their power, they can practically declare war on their predators and reclaim their digity. Pathetic..
Yasaburou is total opposite of Eren from AoT, instead of fighting back, he bow down and serve the people, whom possibly ate his father. No wonder he like dressing like a chick, because he don't have any balls.

If you want to see tanuki fight back then watch Pom Poko. The conclusion there is the same however, there is no way for the tanuki to possibly reclaim their lands or fight the humans. The entire series is built upon the balance between the three groups and some of us rather enjoy that. I understand there is a shounen-esque desire to see the oppressed group win, even if against humans, like some may have felt during shinsekai yori, but that ends up as pandering at best for a series like this.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Aug 4, 2013 5:08 PM

Jan 2011
Moon_River said:
hmmm, this ep makes me more curious about the plot and why the Friday Fellows are the "villains" (other than eating the father) o.O

To livestock who know the terrible truth, all humans are monsters...

First and foremost, the Friday Fellows are the villains because we are looking at things from the Tanuki point of view. I suppose we could go on to say that because Tanuki are intelligent beings one should not eat them. However in Japan cetaceans (including dolphins) are on the menu (and the Japanese have been most insistent on the need for "scientific" whaling) so that doesn't seem to be a very high bar. Not just Japan, since other cultures enjoy eating such relatively intelligent creatures as primates (bush meat), marine mammals (seal flipper pie), or pigs. (I grew up on a farm, I know how smart pigs are. But I still have the occasional BLT.) If you're a vegetarian or a vegan, you've already got a pretty firm conviction about where the fault lies here. If you're an unfeeling brute, you don't see a problem at all (and may have a certain curiosity about just what Soylent Green would taste like). For most of us, the best we can say is: "It's complicated..."

This was the first time we've seen the Friday Fellows as a group so it's tough to get a total read on them, but it seems that with the exception of Benten they seem remarkably oblivious to the implications of their yearly feast. Benten is a different matter. Since I think one of the major points of this show is to figure out who or what she is, and why she acts the way she does, I'm ok with that.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Aug 4, 2013 5:10 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
leeo268 said:

There is something called peaceful accepting their fate and coexisting with the other races. That makes this mythical race different from humans, which do everything to survive and are unable to accept their fate.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 4, 2013 5:42 PM

Feb 2009
Poor tanukis, There is nothing more terrible than human!

The weird thing is the Friday follow ate his dad, one of the member saved him mom, and here he is in danger of being eaten himself. Talking about rotten fate.
Aug 4, 2013 5:43 PM

Feb 2013
Is it just me or is it weird that Yasaburou is eating a meal with the people who devoured his father? Also the humans and the tanuki seem to be pretty lax about talking about tanuki hot pots and such. The tanuki don't seem to try and prevent it from happening either and it seems like they just accept it.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Aug 4, 2013 5:52 PM

Nov 2012
So Hotei was the person who saved Yasaburou's mom.The Friday Fellows weren't as bad I expected them to be."So sad,so sad" I wonder what Benten is sad about?I wonder who the Tanuki was at the end?
Aug 4, 2013 6:05 PM

Aug 2012

Was that an It's A Wonderful Life reference? "Go get me the moon, Yasaburo"

The character interaction is steadily boiling, getting better and better. I'm pretty interested to see what's going on in Hotei's mind, that is certainly an eery fellow.

Benten seems to have a similar outlook, but not as progressed. Hopefully she wasn't foreshadowing when she said "sad, sad" after displaying that Friday Fellow attitude(so cute I wanna eat it up) but then showing her conflict by saying if you eat something you like then it'll be gone. And I don't mean with her and Yasaburo either :/
Aug 4, 2013 6:32 PM
Oct 2012
leeo268 said:

There are 1.5 million people in Kyoto. There are probably no more than a thousand or so Tanuki; even with their transforming powers they wouldn't survive long if they managed to tick the humans off. Also, Tanuki transformation is not all powerful, she how easily Benten saw through it. Granted Benten is exceptional, but there is a reason Yasaburou had to transform into a Daruma doll and Kaisei into a cabinet (notice that that was also one of the forms Yasaburou transformed into at the party). Yasaburou is extremely talented for a Tanuki in his ability to mimic humans, most Tanukis have a hard time keeping just one form, and even then sudden noise can get them to reveal themselves. The Tanuki put up with the occasional pot roasting, because it is a small price to pay for the rest of them surviving. Humans used to sacrifice members to appease the "gods" when they were weak; that is the position the Tanukis are in (and pretty much stated this episode)

As for a plot. Of course there is a plot. The plot is about Yasaburou's coming of age. They laid it out in the first 5 minutes of the opening episode. He doesn't want to be a "mere" tanuki. He lives for excitement. The show is about Yasaburou growing up; he stays with Benten because she is the most interesting thing in his life. Kaisei chastised him for this during the episode, and his mother has been warning him since the beginning of the show. For people saying "this is idiotic", did anyone ever have or had a friend in a "self-destructive" relationship? It is hideously common. Not quite as gothic as "they ate my father", but just as destructive.

I am more intrigued as to why Kaisei chooses to remain hidden and what relationship she has with Benten. Benten obviously knew she was the cabinet, not only did she look at it most of the episode (and made the comment about the brothers causing the nicknack to fall off), but when they left the director decided to focus on the cabinet for a second. I want to know why. I very much doubt that the Ebisugawa brothers really care that much about their sister, which calls into question how Benten discovered the location.

There are several more sub-currents going on in this show (the inter-tengu war, Benten's identity and how she fits into the total picture, as well as her relationship with the Sensei), all of which has been developed in only 5 episodes and will be fun to discover over the next 7.
Aug 4, 2013 8:56 PM

Sep 2011
so hey some Friday Fellows are reluctant in eating tanuki too.....
that kind of show where there isnt really any defined antagonist

i was impressed how Yasaburou could still keep his daruma shape-shifting amidst all of Benten's words. then he got blown by the cigar smoke...he's not perfect after all but the way he 'became friends' with the Friday Fellows was also great. like, less chance for him getting eaten really soon?

totally didnt expect tanuki hotpot to be this serious
Aug 4, 2013 8:57 PM
Oct 2012
I absolutely love this show. Yasaburou vs Benten interaction is soo much fun to watch. BGM is great too.
Aug 4, 2013 10:53 PM

Mar 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
leeo268 said:

There are 1.5 million people in Kyoto. There are probably no more than a thousand or so Tanuki; even with their transforming powers they wouldn't survive long if they managed to tick the humans off. Also, Tanuki transformation is not all powerful, she how easily Benten saw through it. Granted Benten is exceptional, but there is a reason Yasaburou had to transform into a Daruma doll and Kaisei into a cabinet (notice that that was also one of the forms Yasaburou transformed into at the party). Yasaburou is extremely talented for a Tanuki in his ability to mimic humans, most Tanukis have a hard time keeping just one form, and even then sudden noise can get them to reveal themselves. The Tanuki put up with the occasional pot roasting, because it is a small price to pay for the rest of them surviving. Humans used to sacrifice members to appease the "gods" when they were weak; that is the position the Tanukis are in (and pretty much stated this episode)

As for a plot. Of course there is a plot. The plot is about Yasaburou's coming of age. They laid it out in the first 5 minutes of the opening episode. He doesn't want to be a "mere" tanuki. He lives for excitement. The show is about Yasaburou growing up; he stays with Benten because she is the most interesting thing in his life. Kaisei chastised him for this during the episode, and his mother has been warning him since the beginning of the show. For people saying "this is idiotic", did anyone ever have or had a friend in a "self-destructive" relationship? It is hideously common. Not quite as gothic as "they ate my father", but just as destructive.

So basically this is a story of how a sheep try to make those most out of his life before he reach the Slaughterhouse.

I don't mean that they have ton conquer Kyoto and create their own Israel. They just have to fight back enough to teach human how to eat them anymore. I am sure a little bit of revolt and terrorism will convince people respect Tanuki more and go buy some beef instead. More strategically, they can even impersonate politicians and other powerful people to change law into their favor.
I just expected the main character to do something by this point. Bowing to people that ate his father is just a new low of the year in anime.
Aug 4, 2013 11:40 PM

May 2013
The Friday Fellows aren't half bad. They can be pretty peaceful and entertaining.

One of the members, Hotei, apparently met Yasaburou's mother before and saved her life.

All I can say is that Benten is amazing.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Aug 5, 2013 5:47 AM
May 2013
I love this show, it's so magical and always keeps me interested. I'm sure there's a reason behind why Yasaburo isn't really 'reacting' towards his father's death. Think it's linked to Prof. Akadama's accident as well, since both Benten and Yasaburo were involved in that. It'll probably be revealed soon, given how Tatami Galaxy was like. Probably a big reveal in the last few episodes :-)
Aug 5, 2013 8:18 AM

Jun 2012
Woud love to know Benten, so mysterious and alluring XD
Aug 5, 2013 9:09 AM

May 2013
ElenirLachlagos said:
These people are kinda sick. Especially Benten and that Prof.

agree
if she like him y dont marry him lol
hahaha their relationship is complicated i agree
but i am sure that benten will not eat yasaborou, i think she have a strong feeling for yasaburou that the word "like" is unusable, it should be love

5/5 for this ep 10/10 for the anime
Aug 5, 2013 9:40 AM

May 2013
leeo268 said:
No wonder he like dressing like a chick, because he don't have any balls.

Didn't the cabinet tell him already he has no balls (before Benten arrived)?

rodac said:
If you're an unfeeling brute, you don't see a problem at all (and may have a certain curiosity about just what Soylent Green would taste like).

I think you meant to say long pig, since you can already buy soylent green crackers at amazon :D

Since I think one of the major points of this show is to figure out who or what she is, and why she acts the way she does, I'm ok with that.

My bet is that Benten is a 1/2 or 1/4 tenguu, a direct descendant of sensei, so much affection cannot be explained otherwise.

leeo268 said:
I don't mean that they have ton conquer Kyoto and create their own Israel. They just have to fight back enough to teach human how to eat them anymore. I am sure a little bit of revolt and terrorism will convince people respect Tanuki more and go buy some beef instead. More strategically, they can even impersonate politicians and other powerful people to change law into their favor.

A bull once tried to kill an uncle of mine, when he recovered his health he tortured the poor beast at his (rotten) heart content and then killed it. You seem to sub-estimate humans innate response to a perceived external threat, there will be no tanuki left if humans labeled them as a threat instead of thinking they are cute jesters
Aug 5, 2013 10:03 AM

Apr 2013
I fucking love this show's atmosphere..

5/5
Aug 5, 2013 10:12 AM

Feb 2010
leeo268 said:

This... I don't get it.
They killed his father and he's like... nothing?

Really disliked this episode.
Aug 5, 2013 10:15 AM

Jul 2012
Love it:)
Aug 5, 2013 10:55 AM

Apr 2009
AlexTheRiot said:

10 bucks says he turns into the moon for Benten at some point.
Aug 5, 2013 11:08 AM

Sep 2009
The main character is still weird for me and Benten. Both of them... I wonder if he likes Benten? He doesn't show emotions so much..
Aug 5, 2013 11:40 AM

Jul 2010
Hybridbloodszak said:

Part 2 of their little date continues next week and I'm interested to see who that other Tanuki is that was shown in the preview

To me, that Tanuki seemed the dead father, so I'm guessing it's a flashback, I'm not sure though.

leeo268 said:
Takuan_Soho said:
leeo268 said:

So basically this is a story of how a sheep try to make those most out of his life before he reach the Slaughterhouse.

I just expected the main character to do something by this point. Bowing to people that ate his father is just a new low of the year in anime.

That's why this story is so fascinating. The world goes like this you know, the strong eats the weak. You are expecting too much shounen, and in this kind of anime I doubt it.

Also, it's pretty obvious that they can't rebel against the tengu and the humans, the fact that Yasaburou's father was that strong was an exception, usually the Tanuki are not that strong. We know that thanks to several hints.
Furthermore, there must a balance between the three different groups in town, so they' can't start a war.

Barbalay said:
AlexTheRiot said:

10 bucks says he turns into the moon for Benten at some point.

That would be really cool.
Aug 5, 2013 12:45 PM

May 2013
Vanisher said:
This... I don't get it.
They killed his father and he's like... nothing?

To me this is a mistery. Do they really kill the tanuki or just cook those who have recently died in the year end festivities (makes sense if the tanuki population is similar in numbers to that of humans)? Does the tanuki commits seppuku? Do they kill them painlessly or are they left to bleed for hours? Do they really eat all of the tanuki (i.e. pork is 100% used by humans) or most of it ends up in a trash can? Is there some mystical meaning to the eating of the tanuki every year (i.e. To increase human lifespan)?
Aug 5, 2013 3:24 PM

Jul 2010
Man, all this casual talking of eating Tanuki is pretty weird. I'd love to know the whole story behind The Friday Fellows and their 'tradition'.

Aug 5, 2013 4:24 PM

Dec 2012
I think that Yasaburou's attending the party actually gave him the balls he ran away from, and perhaps the next episode would add to the story of the mysterious ritual of eating Tanuki nabe out of real tanuki [unlike Kitsune Udon, where no real kitsune meat could be used, the Net says that tanuki could be eaten as a seasonal food still somewhere. That is, if we ignore the complicated history of kitsunes and tanukis journeying from China to Japan, the demotion they took after mixing Shintoism with the later appearance of Buddhism, and the fact that humans had deemed shape-shifting tanuki as evil, youkai, and tricksters). There's something strange about the seasons - seems like a tanuki should be eaten during the Autumn, but how it connects to the Friday Fellows Club is difficult to figure out. Maybe this is an order of things or Nature the Seven Gods should preserve i some way.

Anyway, the fellows don't look what tanuki make them to be (mom said that there are good people in this episode), but it was surprising that they could sense and accept a shape-shifting tanuki as it was a natural, not extraordinary occurrence. The rule for being accepted into the society is to eat that tanuki nabe and apparently the members rotate the duty of delivering a tanuki every year (this year is Hotei's turn). I mean, the fellows are humans, but obviously, more than that - unless they are some bunch of eccentrics (yet, Benten does magical stuff and flies around).

Yajirou didn't lie for being popular, after all, but Yasaburou seems to be moving forward, too.
zellamiAug 5, 2013 4:32 PM
Aug 5, 2013 4:43 PM

Dec 2009
This casual talk about eating tanukis makes me think there's something more to the story.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 5, 2013 5:15 PM

Mar 2013
This show it's trapping me as long as the episodes come out. The Tanukis story it's quite interesting so far and I'm enjoying the Yasaburou's adventures, I'm glad Benten didn't take his life to eat him.
Aug 6, 2013 2:13 PM

Jun 2010
I so wanna see Kaisei. I hope we see her before the series ends.
Aug 6, 2013 7:13 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode
Aug 6, 2013 8:05 PM

Apr 2013
damn think Im falling for Benten!
Aug 7, 2013 1:13 AM

Jan 2013
Actually, this episode was a bit disgusting. I'll look forward to further information.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Aug 7, 2013 2:50 PM

Jun 2013
this anime keeps getting better and better! Benten is so beautiful!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2013

104 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:25 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

105 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 9, 2023 4:27 PM

» How can someone willingly eat someone they know??

Gilsaber - Jul 15, 2021

14 by JKKH »»
Jul 27, 2023 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.