Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Mar 18, 2018 10:12 PM

Aug 2015
I was definitely ugly crying during the whole episode. Beautifully done, I....ugh T^T
Mar 19, 2018 7:29 AM
Mar 20, 2018 7:15 PM

Jul 2013
Violet is slowly becoming human who would've thought. But I like it though. She has more room to but she's on the right track. Also this feels like the end already.
Mar 23, 2018 2:11 AM

Nov 2012
This episode was heavy. that scene where Violet tries to commit suicide by strangling herself took me by surprise.

One of the best episodes yet. and the best one, soundtrack-wise.
Mar 23, 2018 9:20 AM

Jul 2012
That's right Violet, everything you've done as an Auto Memoir Doll won't go away either 😭

And this is just the beginning. Keep living on, Violet Evergarden.
Mar 25, 2018 2:44 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The first minutes, when Violet lost both arms was very sadic and bloody!!!
For me, this episode was perfect to end this season, because the girl finally understand the reality and the last images of the people that help with her letters were cool, but the season continues!!!!
Apr 1, 2018 5:33 PM

May 2010
Good for Violet to finally take step forward, especially after seeing her positive influence on other people. I continue to wonder, whether Gilbert is really dead...
Apr 3, 2018 4:22 AM

Jun 2016
LOL at the beginning, arguably the dumbest thing from the series so far. But overall was a solid episode
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2018 5:16 AM
Mar 2012
Poster of Taki sensei & Kumiko in a dress automatic 10/10.
Wow they showed how Violet lost both arms... quite brutal.
Nice how her coworkers supported her through the power of letters. Seeing Luculia's bro turn a leaf, the princess & prince, & Leon felts like a big reunion in last episode style. Nice song there.
Oh keep thinking Violet needs to wash her face.
Apr 8, 2018 12:39 AM

Jun 2013
Oh man.....this is big combination of Ouch/Sympathy towards Violet and very big Emotional growth to her....now she is hitting the PTSD about her actions in war....

Quite understandably that she is questioning that does she have a right to be a Doll.....tough this time Iris and Erica might have actually saved her..

Emotional episode....
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Apr 8, 2018 9:12 AM

Jan 2013
This episode was very strong but it felt like it was the last one? Wonder what will we have in the other episodes...
Glad that Violet moved on.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 8, 2018 12:52 PM

May 2012
Lots of emotional parts both dark and light! The split parts of this anime were also just very lovely and I just adored that ending! Really great to see that Violet actually didn't choked herself to death, and I do hope we'll see her proceed with her new life as with all the great things she has already done it sure makes it a great ending of this episode!
Apr 10, 2018 5:49 AM

Apr 2011
It was nice that Erica and Iris sent her a letter to help her move on. It was very difficult and painful, but she shouldn't waste the life given by Gilbert to have a new mission in life out of the military.
Apr 15, 2018 1:16 PM

May 2013
I don't think one can strangle self to die with their bare hands, lol. I'm glad Violet didn't rip up that poor stuffed pup x'D and wow, she got over the hurdle in one episode ;X part of me wishes they let her stay broken for at least 2 episodes bc the reason for her existence is no more. But I understand it's only 13 eps, so whuttevs ^^'

Poor Violet's eyes are all swollen from all that crying :( Here's to her creating a new, brighter future for herself and others that she crosses paths with~

The old postal man is very soothing, lulz. And I guess delivering letters with him at night was therapeutic for Violet. She gets to go on a walk by herself. And bringing joy to ppl receiving those letters is good for her as well-- more or less "cleansing her sins" sort of

During the brief flash of "here's what everyone Violet's helped is doing now" moment-- I had to do a rewind double take on the last guy climbing the mountains cuz I was like who tf is that??? Gilbert?! LOL. Didn't recognize that traveling orphan boy without his hair xD
Kokoro_KotashimaApr 15, 2018 1:20 PM
Apr 16, 2018 12:54 AM

Nov 2017
Violet’s breakdown was pretty strong considering the type of character she is, and it helped show how much her personality has progressed since the start of the series. It’s cool seeing how much she’s changed and how she’s changed so many other characters around her by just trying to understand what some of the things she’s heard means. Great story, 10/10 so far
Apr 16, 2018 1:00 AM

Dec 2017
the emotions Violet expresses in this episode was tearing at my heart, it felt genuine and I am pretty satisfied with how this story is going.
Apr 16, 2018 1:15 PM
Nov 2014
Did anybody else cry like a dweeb? Meeeeee
Apr 26, 2018 2:20 PM

Apr 2012
Those wondering what's the remaining 5 episodes will be like...
Lots of fan service starting with a trip to the beach or maybe a hor spring outing.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Apr 28, 2018 6:56 PM

Apr 2014
-A number of things felt quite off in that flashback scene, such as the two enemy soldiers having issues firing more than one shot in succession, or Violet losing both arms without showing any hindrance from pain or blood loss. How did they never find his body? That building was demolished, not incinerated, and they would eventually find remains if they kept digging around there unless it was moved or he's actually alive somehow.

-Depressed Violet T_T That guilt is now kicking into full gear. The directing, scenery lighting, and music during that scene managed to amplify the tension and melancholy to a ridiculously effective level imo. Not sad, but a crazy, breaking "unhinged" sort of feeling which matched perfectly with Violet's mental state at that moment and what she attempted to do. It was fortunate she only had her hands to use in unleashing anger upon herself, and didn't have any other weapons on hand. I also did thought she would rip the stuffed dog apart, but I guess sparing it was symbolizing that she still had a sense of restraint and wouldn't actually go through with that she appeared to be attempting.

-While Violet had killed many in the past as a weapon, before she had gained a true sense of self, she now brings many people together and/or helps to change their lives for the better, bringing them joy that they will cherish. Violet had taken, and now Violet has and will continue to give. She must live and continue granting happiness to others (lol that postman that looks like Santa). That will be her redemption.

-THE FEELS when Violet expressed that she finally understood exactly how special it was to receive a letter. She, who had touched the lives of so many through her work and interactions with them, is at long last able to receive the same treasured feeling in return. It's even sweeter that it came from her coworkers, showing how they cared for her.

-This felt like the final episode, where she realizes herself and appears to be able to come to terms with her past. That music during the final scene added immensely to the emotional impact as well.

Absolutely beautiful episode overall.

ZeroDragonApr 28, 2018 8:36 PM
Apr 29, 2018 11:57 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Damn this dug deep into Violet. I loved the expansion of her feelings and character. It's like hitting a nail into the coffin. Not much to express other then it felt very raw.
Apr 30, 2018 12:09 PM

Jun 2010
Great episode once again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 8, 2018 4:37 AM

Jul 2009
Violet had to live her own hell to be able to stand up...and it was nice touch the moment when she saw what her work was able to do to people...
May 12, 2018 5:33 PM
May 2018
OMFG WAS THIS GOOD.

Violet finnaly accepts that the major is dead, she shows so much emotion that would be unthinkable of a few episodes back and most importantly, making it seem completely as a naturral progression and not forced or out of the blue at all.

If this was the last episode I would have been more than satisified
May 16, 2018 4:49 AM
Sep 2007
The feels... so much feels. Well, I didn't actually expected a comedy, but still...

*wears a hat in sunny weather* It's raining, let's go home.

May 17, 2018 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
This was the only ep that made me actually care. And the only one to make me cry. Goddamn it...
May 27, 2018 10:24 PM

Dec 2013
It feels like it's the ending somehow. Or am I just overanalyzing things? Is there something that I'm missing?
Aug 20, 2018 5:49 AM
Jun 2013
im sorry i was cracking up when she asked if he was alright when the guys who shot him were still standing right there and he got shot again. like you would think she would react right away and kill them. also how the fuck is she not screaming in any form of pain.

"what is love" "baby dont hurt me dont hurt me no more"

come on they were asking for it. Also was boob lady in the army to going by the burn comment? wait why is this dude wearing high heels? also its odd this aint the final episode since they way they frame it sure feels like it. As you can see I laughed more in this episode more then feel anything else. So far episode 7 is the only episode to make me feel emotional.
souledge94Aug 20, 2018 5:56 AM
Aug 26, 2018 6:07 AM
Oct 2017
This episode showed Violet's soft and weak side. She struggled moving on from her past self but then realized that she is needed is loved by her friends.
Sep 4, 2018 3:05 PM

Aug 2016
I am overloaded with emotions right now so I need to process it to not cry. But I am laughing that colonel Hodgins reminded me Stannis Baratheon. Good deeds do not wash the evil-ones, nor evil good.
Nov 10, 2018 11:50 AM

Mar 2017
if they kept walking, Gilbert would have survived. just saying~
I'm also wondering how Violet, with both arms cut off and blood dripping all over, managed to survived
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Dec 15, 2018 11:31 PM

Jun 2015
the scene where violet tried to strangle herself really, really got to me. the pure human emotion in that was powerful, everything hitting at once and happening. this episode was really, really great. it felt like a finale although.
Dec 28, 2018 2:23 PM

Mar 2016
Holy fuck, what calibre was the bullet that shot Violet's arm that caused it to literally rip itself out? Also, I do not think a grenade will severe an arm like that. It's more appropriate if her whole arm is just blown to bits rather than severed like the other arm she had. Anyway, at least I now know what causes her to lose both arms.

This ep is a breakthrough for Violet's advancement in her emotions. She's so depressed and in pain in this ep that she was attempting to commit suicide by suffocation! If it weren't because of the letter sent to her, she probably won't be able to drag herself back up to keep going forward without any reason to live.

Wow, I'm glad the previous characters that had hired Violet made cameos in this ep, just by doing this, it feels as if they're still relevant to the story, I appreciate it
Colonel's words are true and perfect for the situation!
Jan 24, 2019 2:32 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Had she killed that soldier when she had the chance, Violet's life would have taken an entire direction with fewer casualties. But I'm not blaming anybody here, not her, not those enemies, after all, those were times of war, both sides see the other as a threat, each one was doing what they thought it was good (Except for Violet maybe, she was probably following whatever the major says, apparent when she was about to attack the colonel).

Honestly, the choice of music during Violet's mental breakdown when she was attempting to check herself was just terrible, I would have hoped for a slower, sadder or, or simply, none, just a staggering silence, that would have helped highlight her sorrow better. The whole fast victorian track looked like something they would play on an intense ghostwriting operation or something, not something that suitable for an especially emotionally involving moment like that.

This episode's conclusion felt like an end game, as though they were trying to wrap up the story, but not quite, that was probably just the first act about to conclude, I'm begging for the rest of the episode to be all charming and wholesome. Violet's had enough already.
Something tells me that anti-faction attack is going to be a problem, I hope not.
Feb 3, 2019 8:30 PM

Jul 2012
wholesome episode
Feb 27, 2019 8:35 PM
May 2017
Okay I balled my eyes out these past 2 episodes. So good.
Apr 22, 2019 3:02 PM

Apr 2012
AivanK said:
This episode was very strong but it felt like it was the last one? Wonder what will we have in the other episodes...
Pretty much this, not sure how to not be disappointed when adding anything beyond this episode.
May 8, 2019 7:06 AM

Feb 2013
It wasn't easy to get over Gilbert's death but she has a reason to keep living.
May 26, 2019 4:01 AM

Sep 2012
if it were series where 2who love each otjer get seperated i would not watch it cause i don't like this type of endings, but here they already were seperated so its not the same, cause of that i am not invested in their romance that much only invested in to her, to her story csuse of it
Jul 2, 2019 6:20 AM

Jul 2013
First things first, I won't comment much on the war scene's realism because that's not the point of this series in the first place. I too have my problems with how it was portrayed like Violet losing both her arms to a bullet and the grenade. I thought she lost it in a more spectacular fashion but I didn't expect much from KyoAni from this aspect because this looks like something that's out of their realm based on their production history. I have this really strong feeling that the major is alive somehow. No way they couldn't find his body in that rubble. The building collapsed, not burned into ashes. I guess we'll have to see in the next episodes how his fate went.

Moving on to the more positive points, this episode was beautifully done. I like the pacing of it. The way all those emotions welled up in Violet while she tried to commit suicide was a heartbreaking scene. You can really feel the pain she felt. All the development from the last episodes as she discovered her own emotions through other people paid off for this scene. I thought it was weird how we never see what happened at the end of episode 5 when Dietfried showed up in the port mocking Violet's decision to become a Doll but it looks like he just went and checked on her personally. His words really stuck with Violet and made her question her worth. I'm glad that scene didn't go to waste.

It was also heartwarming to see all the lives Violet has touched turned out for the better. It showed us that she can never erase her past but she can still live on and become a better person. Receiving her first letter and realizing the joy of it was nice to see and it strengthened her self-worth when she finally realized the beauty of her work. She has said in the episode with Leon that she has begun to appreciate being a Doll after seeing her clients' emotions. I'm interested how the rest of the episodes play out. This seems almost like a finale but still not enough to become one.
Aug 9, 2019 12:30 PM

Dec 2012
It's absolutely stunning how this manages to contrast Violet's gruesome past with the joy she's brought to so many people. With those hands, she's taken life. And with those hands, she's also given it.
Aug 11, 2019 10:51 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Man, these last two episodes are all about Violet’s self-discovery and what a stunning depiction of that!

She’s taken lives and will amend for it the rest of her working life by writing letters and in a sense giving life. Violet’s attempt at choking herself to death there really just resounds so deep, you can tell how she’s burning now but it’s good to see that the President trusted in her and that was some good final speech there! Mad props to the old man too and of course to the Dolls! Seeing her clients happy and moving forward was really touching too, yet another top-notch episode!

Truly felt like an ending indeed but I’m looking forward to what’s next, for some reason I can’t seem to recall much from here onwards.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 4, 2019 1:51 AM

Mar 2015
Great episode, Violet finally coming out with her emotions!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Apr 27, 2020 2:13 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
TBH I didn't felt much for the beginning of this episode, it doesn't help that I can't get over the fact that a bullet ripoff her first arm, like WTF? It lost a bit of realism to me there.

Also, I don't think Gilbert had enough build-up, to suddenly say something like he loves Violet, she was a freaking child, and I find it weird she was so small then over 1-3 years suddenly feels like an adult but has 14y, this only matter just doesn't sell me well their relationship for me.

Outside that, lovely episode, pretty enjoyed the second half a lot, she is a really enjoyable character, and I did feel for her.
May 6, 2020 11:42 AM
Sep 2019
It just occurred to me while rewatching this episode, how bitter Gilbert's last moments must be, realizing that the object of his love is unable to understand and process his words, and that it is mostly his fault. Terrible way to go.
May 10, 2020 2:13 PM

Aug 2019
Beautiful episode, felt like a final one. The scene with Violet trying to kill herself was very sad. But we could see all the development she had over the past few episodes. The end segment was really heartwarming, to see all the lives Violet had touched through her letters, it had me tearing up.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 14, 2020 8:43 AM

Feb 2012
You can tell how much they care for each other when they struggle to move while wounded; as Violet's arm was shot while carrying the already-wounded Gilbert, he pulls out his pistol to retaliate on her behalf.

Fortress_MaximusMay 14, 2020 9:55 AM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 14, 2020 10:17 PM

Jun 2009
Hodgins is a real one. I love all the support Violet has

Jun 20, 2020 9:55 AM

Apr 2020
Man, this is beyond any words of praise. The overall mood of the episode sends me chills, especially the scene of Gilbert "scolding" Violet in her fake flashback, Violet's feeling of helplessness and despair, and how she overcomes these feelings in the end thanks to the support from Hodgins and others is just... Man, that's great.

Also the ending, where Violet sees the effects of her actions as a Memoir Doll feels the most beautiful.

I still don't believe that Gilbert is dead though, there're too many things that deny this possibility.

Man, 5 episodes ahead...
[right]=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=
Jun 27, 2020 7:58 AM

Feb 2019
Beautiful, Violet has found her resolve and decided to live on.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Sep 29, 2020 2:54 AM

Jul 2020
Glad to see Violet picking up and had her resolve in the end.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

424 by marta_valse »»
Yesterday, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 2, 2017

572 by marta_valse »»
Jun 11, 11:53 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2018

235 by Thereisnoonehere »»
Jun 10, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

624 by Thereisnoonehere »»
Jun 10, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

240 by Hevants »»
Jun 10, 10:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.