Forum Settings
Forums

Has a "Kids" Anime ever truly impressed you?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 30, 2015 9:11 PM

May 2012
Dennou Coil is one of the six shows I've rated as a ten. I'm sure one reason why it took Iso seven years to find someone to produce it was because it was seen as a kids show but not "kiddish" enough. Too bad we haven't seen much more from him since then. From his comments about fighting to get Coil produced, I'm guessing he left the industry in disgust.

I'm also pretty sure that Uehashi saw Erin as a work for children. I believe she was aiming at an audience aged 8-13 while she wrote Moribito for kids in the 11-17 category. To me, Erin seems akin to the Harry Potter books. I still cry every time I watch episode seven.

Chi's Sweet Home is a delightful show for family audiences. It was aired in the mornings so kids and their parents could watch it before school. Higepiyo has the trappings of a family show, but the story is more satirical. Paku Romi is hilarious as a sake-drinking, bearded, talking chick with samurai aspirations.

Another intriguing story for kids is Mahou Shoujotai Arusu. Based loosely on Alice in Wonderland, it follows a young girl who falls off a roof and into a magical world. Arusu believes that magic should be a force for good, but she quickly learns that it can used for darker purposes as well. The illustrations by Studio 4C are stunningly beautiful. Here's the OP:

There are two features that indicate whether a show was designed for children. One is the use of recap material in every episode. Arusu has this in spades, so much so that it makes it hard to watch in a marathan setting.

The other is the use of furigana to help kids read captions written in kanji. Uchuu Kyoudai is a good example. While the show certainly appeals to older viewers (most all the characters are adults), the captioning of the OPs use furigana suggesting the producers expected there would be kids in the audience. The fact that Uchuu Kyoudai aired first at 7 am on Sundays, and later at 5:30 pm on Saturdays is another indication that the show was targeted for an all-ages audience.

The music video for "Feel so Moon" features a lot of kids.

SeijiSenseiSep 30, 2015 9:39 PM
Oct 1, 2015 5:51 AM

May 2013
galimx said:
Lain_ said:

No not really... They are not translated which is a shame since I'd buy them certainly if I could.
But after finishing the show I went to check the differences between the show and the books =)

The anime covers the first half of books (1 and 2) or something like that. Happy ending. Some people were not happy about that and wanted a sequel, so the author wrote more (book 3 and 4) with different ending (sad), I heard.

Actually, no. The author wrote more after she realized she still had a story to tell after working with the anime crew where she got asked many stuff about her book.

BatoKusanagi said:
Ghibli movies like Totoro, and WMT anime.

Lain_ said:
Akage no Anne has great themes and explores them graciously. It left a great impression on me. Although I have to rewatch it soon. Most anime in the World Masterpiece Theater is excellent and worth watching, as they are adaptations of classical children's books and have an above average quality in story telling.

Some will argue that Kemono no souja erin may also be targeted towards children, but it surprised me in every aspect. I can honestly say it's one of my favourite stories and one example of excelent story telling. Shame it had a low budget and thus it had to reuse the same footage over and over again

Great choices. In the case of Akage no Anne, it made me read the whole book series. I'd recommend it.

Nice to see anyone that read the whole Anne series.

It's a dream of mine to see Rilla of Ingleside animated someday.

galimx said:
Ie Naki Ko. A "children" show or so they say. But when you watch it, it slowly tears your heart apart. Its very sad and depressing. Dunno how could a kid watch this.

galimx said:
listbot said:

Nadia is for kids
Bakuman is ok for 10+
Erin, UPS and Coil are kids centered
Moshidora and many of them have no lower age limit.
Don't underestimate kids.
Some of them calculate much faster than me.

Ie Nako Ko is also targeted at "kids", but I would never give that show to a kid.

Heh, Ie Naki Ko is a classic at my country. Every kid watched it. Still remember as one of the saddest anime that had ever aired on my country.
Oct 1, 2015 5:53 AM

Mar 2014
Nothing beats Mumindalen
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 1, 2015 5:54 AM
Apr 2014
Depends on what you consider "Kids shows" then.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Oct 1, 2015 6:04 AM
Dec 2012
Tefnod said:
It may sound morbid, but I wish the tsunami and earth-quakes would have destroyed most of Nippon and put an end to the anime "industry." Maybe then anime could return to its whole-some roots. Anime has steadily be-come more obscene since the nineteen nineties and the vulgar herd rejects any-thing decent and couth.

Maybe one day a tsunami will come and wash away every whining narcissistic idiot like you.
Oct 1, 2015 6:04 AM

Jan 2009
Ghibli movies

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Oct 1, 2015 6:05 AM

Nov 2012
yeah, many magical girl shows that are aimed at kids impressed me. :>
Oct 1, 2015 7:01 AM

Apr 2014
Gon,sue me i read manga as well.
Oct 1, 2015 7:57 AM

Jul 2014
Like a few before said Aikatsu it is such a simplistic show but it is so enjoyable especially the songs, I like listen to them all the tiime
Another one is Full moon wo sagashite it is such a beautiful anime that has actually quite dark themes but is also really enjoyable
'Those who like space, can't be bad people'

Oct 1, 2015 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
Madoka.

Oct 1, 2015 8:11 AM

Sep 2013
Tefnod said:
Anime could return to its whole-some roots. Anime has steadily be-come more obscene since the nineteen nineties and the vulgar herd rejects any-thing decent and couth.

Oct 1, 2015 8:21 AM
Dec 2013
Yeah, Cardcaptor Sakura and a bunch of Studio Ghibli movies.
Oct 1, 2015 8:29 AM

May 2015
ichii_1 said:
Tefnod said:
Anime could return to its whole-some roots. Anime has steadily be-come more obscene since the nineteen nineties and the vulgar herd rejects any-thing decent and couth.

The animation got better?
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Oct 1, 2015 8:43 AM

Jul 2013
Pokemon will always continue to impress me no matter how "bad" people make it to be. Nostalgia has nothing to do with this. I just enjoy Pokemon a lot.
Oct 1, 2015 8:47 AM

Jun 2007
Ie Naki Ko has the "Kids" tag and I'm more than just impressed by it.
Oct 1, 2015 8:55 AM

Aug 2008
RLinksoul said:
Ojamajo Doremi is probably the most impressive kids show I've ever seen.

Not just because it has episodes where it tackles subjects you don't normally see in kids shows, such as suicide or divorce.

While the plot of each season is very minimal the show makes up for it with some pretty fantastic character development. Even the minor background characters, like the classmates and teachers, get their own focus and fleshing out as the protagonists try to help them out with their problems.

Another great thing is the fact that a handful of the problems that take place in the show don't get resolved immediately the same episode. It takes a gradual process either over several episodes, or it reoccurs later on.

the episode about cancer is also something else.
絶対大丈夫だよ

Oct 1, 2015 12:19 PM

May 2015
My two favorite anime are 'for kids'. Tamers and Medabots are kinda shounen, but they have none of the violence/sexuality of Naruto/Bleach/One Piece.

They're still brilliant anime, full of creativity, fun, humor and depth. An 'adult' cover has nothing to do with quality.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 1, 2015 12:38 PM

Dec 2012
ObjectiveOpinion said:
Kruszer said:
Castle in the Sky
Denno Coil
From up on Poppy Hill
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Nijiiro Hotaru: Eien no Natsuyasumi
Princess Mononoke
Summer Wars
When Marnie was There
Whisper of the Heart

I dont think this is for kids... there are more than a few dismembered limbs

True, I forgot to check the ratings for all the Ghibli stuff (That and Nausicaa are PG-13). Fixed.
KruszerOct 1, 2015 12:42 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Oct 1, 2015 12:45 PM

Mar 2014
davinci12 said:
All anime is for kids. Black bible and avatar are the most impressive anime there is period.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Oct 1, 2015 12:46 PM
Dec 2012
Kruszer said:
ObjectiveOpinion said:

True, I forgot to check the ratings for all the Ghibli stuff. Fixed

The age rating alone doesn't decide if something is children's entertainment. None of those are children's movies, except possibly Hotaru (I haven't seen it). As for Dennou Coil, what was its timeslot?
Oct 1, 2015 1:20 PM

Dec 2012
2weeaboo4u said:

The age rating alone doesn't decide if something is children's entertainment. None of those are children's movies, except possibly Hotaru (I haven't seen it). As for Dennou Coil, what was its timeslot?

The age rating is based on content, it's good enough for me.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Oct 1, 2015 1:23 PM

Oct 2014
I really enjoyed Shugo Chara! which is made for little girls. I liked how it was based around the human condition. I think they did a better job with traps and wincest than the anime I've watched that are made for adults.
Oct 1, 2015 1:25 PM

Jul 2013
Digimon Tamers give me nightmares when I was child. Mostly for the fucking D-Reaper.
Oct 1, 2015 1:26 PM
Dec 2012
Kruszer said:
The age rating is based on content, it's good enough for me.

Is a very difficult book on philosophy children's literature if it doesn't have any inappropriate content in it?
Oct 1, 2015 2:00 PM

Feb 2015
Yes Inazuma Eleven S1 and Digimon adventure S1 i found very good for not so serious shows. Digimon is also by far most nostalgic anime for me.
Oct 1, 2015 2:09 PM

Apr 2014
Spirited Away was surprisingly good for me, since I don't really like Ghibli films.
Oct 1, 2015 2:13 PM

Nov 2010
Kruszer said:
ObjectiveOpinion said:

True, I forgot to check the ratings for all the Ghibli stuff (That and Nausicaa are PG-13). Fixed.
Did you use MAL to check for the age ratings? Because those are decided by MAL 's mods and is not an actual representation of whether they are considered a children's anime in Japan. Even the American releases's rating wouldn't be good enough.
Oct 1, 2015 2:17 PM

Sep 2014
Meowth's origin story in the first season of Pokemon was fucking brilliant
Oct 1, 2015 2:19 PM

Jun 2015
[b]Inazuma Eleven is still one of my favorites and I've rewatched it three times and it's still good. Basically a better version of Fairy Tail without fanservice and it's about football.
Oct 1, 2015 2:28 PM

Jun 2014
notsomacho said:

What about that episode between Team Rocket sharing one crust for 3. Very tragic story that was.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Oct 1, 2015 2:30 PM

Sep 2014
FireEmblemIke24 said:
notsomacho said:

What about that episode between Team Rocket sharing one crust for 3. Very tragic story that was.

Sadly, I don't remember that one
Oct 1, 2015 2:42 PM
Mar 2011
Lain_ said:
listbot said:
These are some Edu Channel Anime:

• Yadamon
  • 12 Kingdoms
  • Uninhabited planet Survive!
  • MAJOR
  • Dennou Coil
  • Moribito Series
  • Alison
  • Erin
  • Giant Killing
  • Bakuman
  • Moshidora
  • Nadia
  • Log Horizon

- targeted at younger audiences and teenagers
but not really 'kids' as the OP mentions. or at least that's what I think

legally speaking in Japan ypur not legally adult un till 20 years ond i you cannot vote or get tried as adult un till 20

so all the anime listed ae kids anime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 2, 2015 1:39 AM

Oct 2009
Digimon series, man. The feels.
azzuReOct 2, 2015 1:43 AM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Oct 2, 2015 2:58 AM

May 2015
Illyricus said:
Digimon Tamers give me nightmares when I was child. Mostly for the fucking D-Reaper.

Well, there are young children who develop suicidal thoughts at that age. Sounds like a legitimate issue for a kids' show.
Oct 2, 2015 3:36 AM
Dec 2012
DateYutaka said:
legally speaking in Japan ypur not legally adult un till 20 years ond i you cannot vote or get tried as adult un till 20

so all the anime listed ae kids anime

Yeah, that's not how it works.
Oct 2, 2015 3:41 AM

Apr 2014
Going through my list:
Barakamon
magi s1 and 2
FMAB
Gintama though it's really an anime for all audiences
Oct 2, 2015 4:11 AM
Apr 2014
Cross Game
Full Moon o Sagashite
Princess Sarah
Akage no Anne
Dennō Coil
Digimon Tamers
Kaleido Star
Princess Tutu
Kemono no Sōja Erin
Treasure Island
Speed Racer
and some Ghibli films.
"Chinese cartoons was a mistake"

Hayao Miyazaki
Oct 2, 2015 4:13 AM

Apr 2014
People say that Yoru no Yatterman is a kids show, but in my eyes the show is really grown up. I mean, the show handles a lot of mature themes which aren't meant for kids in any way.
Oct 2, 2015 4:15 AM
Jul 2018
Nah.
Oct 2, 2015 4:18 AM

Apr 2013
Pokemon: The Origin was really well done and a perfect adaption of the original game.
Oct 2, 2015 4:20 AM

May 2015
I was pretty impressed how Digimon Adventure was still engaging even 10 years later.
And Doraemon is amazing.
Oct 2, 2015 4:21 AM
Dec 2012
sadpwner said:
Going through my list:
Barakamon
magi s1 and 2
FMAB
Gintama though it's really an anime for all audiences

Barakamon aired at 2:20 AM.
Oct 2, 2015 4:25 AM

Jan 2015
hmmm.....
as long as its adapted from a western novel source, yeah
just like;

The Trapp Family
Heidi: Girl of Alps
Les Miserables
My Daddy Long Legs
Princess Sarah
Cedi the Little Prince
Remi, Nobody's Girl
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Oct 2, 2015 4:27 AM

Aug 2008
Remv_quevav said:
hmmm.....
as long as its adapted from a western novel source, yeah
just like;

The Trapp Family
Heidi: Girl of Alps
Les Miserables
My Daddy Long Legs
Princess Sarah
Cedi the Little Prince
Remi, Nobody's Girl

basically the World Masterpiece Theater: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater
絶対大丈夫だよ

Oct 2, 2015 5:25 AM

May 2015
Bakr said:
I was pretty impressed how Digimon Adventure was still engaging even 10 years later.
And Doraemon is amazing.

Which version have you watched?

I watched the dub and it was just beating senseless bad guys. It was bad.
Oct 2, 2015 5:32 AM

May 2015
Doraemon and Kiteretsu Daiyaka the one with longest airing time here is why Doraemon is all time best show in my view

before Steins;Gate There was Doraemon
before the term fan service there was Shizuka-chan
before your fav character who is not ideal there was Nobita-Kun
and
Kiteretsu Daiyaka (you should really watch this if you loved doraemon)

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Oct 2, 2015 5:47 AM

Jul 2013
Gator said:
Pokemon: The Origin was really well done and a perfect adaption of the original game.

It was indeed enjoyable but was too short and went too fast. Well it was to be expected since it was just a promotion for their X and Y games.
Oct 2, 2015 5:49 AM
Mar 2011
most anime is listed in this topic are for kids by legal deferntion of kid ie amied at under 20 years of age

Kodomo anime is aimed at younger kids
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 2, 2015 5:57 AM

Apr 2015
Doraemon and its standalone movies.. All of it is wonderful and it was the first anime I had watched (although at that time, everything was "cartoon" for me)..
Oct 2, 2015 5:57 AM
Dec 2012
DateYutaka said:
most anime is listed in this topic are for kids by legal deferntion of kid ie amied at under 20 years of age

By this logic, any R-rated movie is for kids too.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» if gundam is so good why all the low scores ( 1 2 )

Kimo45 - Jun 25

68 by Guilmon1 »»
14 seconds ago

» Is Tanamachi Kaoru best girl with curly hair in anime?

Catalano - 4 hours ago

4 by tchitchouan »»
2 minutes ago

» Good anime with bad start

JoeChip - 6 hours ago

28 by NagoyaR »»
5 minutes ago

» What is your Fav anime songs ?

Henrique-Senpai - 8 hours ago

12 by Guilmon1 »»
5 minutes ago

» What you like to see in fight scenes

Kenzolo-folk - Yesterday

24 by Archean-Return »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.