Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 3, 2009 10:08 PM

Oct 2007
i must say, the most enjoyable part of this ep was the last 10 min, the atmosphere they created was amazying
Nov 4, 2009 11:13 AM

Oct 2009
Laevantein said:
noteDhero said:

I think it would have been better for the monster to not be so visually present in the show, but I will say that I was creeped out in one scene during this episode, so it's not totally a bad thing.
Hey even noteDhero is creeped out by the monster..i thought i'm the only one..just an advice from my experience don't watch it during midnight i can't help myself from looking at the mirror and the door behind my back..it seems like somebody watching me, the monster is growing in my head

The monster thing is under your bed!
Nov 4, 2009 11:21 AM

Jan 2009
SoulFlyy said:
Laevantein said:
noteDhero said:

I think it would have been better for the monster to not be so visually present in the show, but I will say that I was creeped out in one scene during this episode, so it's not totally a bad thing.

Hey even noteDhero is creeped out by the monster..i thought i'm the only one..just an advice from my experience don't watch it during midnight i can't help myself from looking at the mirror and the door behind my back..it seems like somebody watching me, the monster is growing in my head

The monster thing is under your bed!

Well at least it's not under my bed, I checked 5min ago : o Go everyone, check your beds, just in case, you never know what you might find O.O I actually found some money... but never mind that[/size
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 4, 2009 4:23 PM

Oct 2009
Haha that monster thing is pretty creepy :P
Nov 5, 2009 7:19 AM

Sep 2008
It's getting exciting!~ can't wait to play 4 ^^

thx 2 Rinjii 4 d sigy^^
Nov 5, 2009 7:27 AM

Jan 2009
Seiji_S said:
It's getting exciting!~ can't wait to play 4 ^^

^This, is something that I find strange.
The fact that people bother to post stuff like "can't wait for next episode", or well, sure if it's something where the wait is necessary, but in this case, ep. 4 has been out for a few days, so no need to wait, right?
Also, Seiji_S, don't take it personally, I just had to express how strange I find these kinds of posts o.O
(...Now that I think about it.. I might've said the same things some time ago in another thread...)
Oh well, it might just be that some people don't have enough time (for some reason or another) to watch another episode in row xD..

Now if you'll excuse me... I've got to tend to my time-consuming homework D: (A reason for not having time with anime?)
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 7, 2009 8:50 AM
Dec 2007
As well directed and developped as ever. Art is great, animation is on top. Fantastic episode for one of the best series of the season.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 8, 2009 6:14 AM

Feb 2008
Great depressing episode as always.

Spotting Noto Mamiko as the seiyuu for the new girl with red umbrella was a huge plus too.
Nov 8, 2009 7:08 PM

Jul 2008
Watching this show always makes me feel depressed...
Nov 10, 2009 2:08 PM

Sep 2009
A great episode. This history is sad... but great. Could it have a happy-end?
I fell myself depressed too...
Nov 12, 2009 3:08 PM

Oct 2009
Alipio said:
Watching this show always makes me feel depressed...

lol i agree i was in a really happy mood until i watched this haha
Nov 14, 2009 2:35 AM

Sep 2009
he became a mangaka thats pretty awesome xD
and i like the umbrella chick she seems interesting and made yozo feel better xD
i like this series can't wait for the next ep ^_^

Nov 15, 2009 2:02 AM

May 2009
This is good shit! I love dark anime like this one.
Dec 15, 2009 8:05 PM

Nov 2007
Hmm an interesting episode, although how will everything turn out @_@
Dec 29, 2009 1:32 AM

Jan 2007
Great episode.

Loved the scenes in the snow.
Jan 23, 2010 9:49 PM

Sep 2008
You never cease to amaze me Mamiko Noto.
But, no, no, no please don't defile her pure innocence... well maybe the character isn't, but still!

Wait, why am I only talking about Mamiko Noto?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2010 11:11 PM

Dec 2009
Zero said:
Loved the scene in the snow.

That was my favorite part of this episode.

Also, I really hate his "friend."

And I felt so sorry for him when the little girl was talking about wanting a "real father." Ouch.
~Heart & Thoughts With Japan~

Jan 30, 2010 8:55 AM

Aug 2009
Damn, Yozo looked really depressed, lol. Also, that artist guy that was supposed to be his friend sure was a bitch too. He's the bad influence in Yozo's life. Heck he even blackmailed Yozo just to get money.

I think the girl with the umbrella is the reborn version of the slut girl 4 years ago. Also, in the flash back, she looked really happy when Yozo pushed her off the cliff. It wasn't Yozo's fault that he survived the double suicide attempt.

Somewhat, I found Yozo and that black attire to be wicked sick. He looked like Light and Itachi combined together, lol. So this happened before WW2 huh? Also, those girls in the bar sure was ugly. The hottest slut was the girl 4 years ago, lol. Wonder if Yozo's dad died. Also wondering if Yozo will also die in the end.
Feb 7, 2010 10:06 AM
May 2009
Spot The Hitler:

Jun 20, 2010 8:55 PM

Apr 2008
That was depressing, if it continues like this it might become one of my favorites.
Jun 25, 2010 3:43 PM
May 2008
I can't believe I put this on hold when it was airing... boy was I missing out!
Dead Account
Please Delete
Apr 18, 2011 10:20 PM

Apr 2010
Wait... WHAT? This guy needs some help, seriously, he has a nice... Uhm, family.

This is so depressing, but I just won't drop it.

Apr 21, 2011 5:22 PM

Apr 2011
psychological is the best.
May 14, 2011 6:30 PM

Nov 2010
It's getting better ^^
Feb 5, 2012 8:10 PM

Apr 2008
Tatynin said:
A great episode. This history is sad... but great. Could it have a happy-end?
I fell myself depressed too...

I'm not anticipating a happy ending, considering the author committed suicide the day after having the story published...
Apr 4, 2012 9:38 PM

Jan 2010
And things get better, only to get worse. I think it's painful how Yozo has tried as hard as he could to become more "human," but his past can't be escaped so easily. Not if he intends to live as a part of society... Which becomes problematic, when considering how important interactions with other people are to being "human."
I imagine things won't end cheerfully.
Aug 18, 2012 3:57 PM

May 2012
Nice but the story is getting weak for me, hopefully that will change soon!
Sep 4, 2012 1:37 PM

Mar 2010
viridiaelnex said:
Spot The Hitler:

lolwut
Mar 1, 2013 8:50 PM

Nov 2011
>Did you kill a woman?

That next scene after just freaked me out. Damn.
Jun 11, 2013 3:04 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Just love the atmosphere in this chapter. It's such a sad story. A guy with serious mental issues who is actually trying at some level, but it's clear that without some professional help he won't make it. I wonder if he'll kill again?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 16, 2013 12:10 PM

Jul 2013
Really good episode, not as creepy as previous one. Poor guy. Beautiful music though
Apr 25, 2014 8:25 PM

Sep 2012
I never get why people watch shows specifically built around a character with psychological problems, but then bitch and whine when that character has psychological problems.

cantius said:
Boring arc. Main characters pathetic.
Go to hell.

Also, not sure why people are expecting some sort of happy ending to this arc though.. did nobody read the synopsis?

So far, this show is great. I love the soundtrack. The only thing is the little intros are kind of weird. Smiley Jackie Chan lecturing us is pretty awkward.
May 26, 2014 1:28 AM

Jun 2011
^ Some people don't necessary read the synopsis before going into a show. At least that's not the case for me.

Anyway, society fucks him over.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 21, 2014 3:41 AM

Jan 2014
Well, I don't think he has that deep psychological problems.
I mean, killing someone never did good. Because it's this what started his downfall, I dare you do the same and get away with remorse clean and wonderful.
At the very least, the only thing he could have had before was social anxiety, then stirred with depression. Depression + social anxiety + murder= you do the sum.
He's actually dealing with everything quite fine, I dare say.

But now let's see how terribly this will end.
Jun 3, 2015 4:08 PM

May 2014
Hmm, interesting. Him being a mangaka is somehow weird but nice at the same time. When he were laying on the ground in the snow, I were sure that the woman would invite him home. LOL, up to now he have slept with 3 women. LOL. I guess that part of him is still human. :P
Jun 14, 2015 9:15 PM
Nov 2014
Atleast he is happier now...he just needs to man up and get rid of that monster now.
Sep 16, 2015 1:30 PM

Aug 2013
Wowowowow
That background track which was playing in the city (before he fallen)
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 1, 2015 1:00 PM

Jul 2013
Another great episode, yet again. I really like the story and how dark it is.
Jan 12, 2016 8:49 AM

Jan 2012
this is getting weird and weirder,all women like him lol

Mar 25, 2016 8:20 AM

Feb 2010
The reason Youzou Ooba smiles is because he is told to do this act by the photographer, and in just a snapshot, a second, he wants to create the illusion that he fits in with whoever he is standing with. His smile is an illusion. His happiness has always been defined by other people or dependent on other people.
This is pretty lengthy, but I really felt inclined to analyze the episode and show thus far.

At first, it really bothered me how he kept telling others verbatim how he is a ghost in this episode even though clearly a ghost doesn't exist to others. I thought that phrase was ridiculous because these women who are talking to him and helping him clearly see him., but then we are shown the flashback of Ooba's past when he meets that boy who saw through his clown act. From that point on he looked at his reflection and became more aware of his act. In his reflection, he could not see himself. He was nobody. When people look at him, they do not see him for who he is because Ooba feels that "real" part of him does not exist. Even he doesn't know who he is, and the thought of this makes him feel pathetic. Accepting this "truth" drives him to the point of insanity in this episode several times.

In this episode, Youzou Ooba tries to become human. For the majority of his life he has put on an act where in the first episode he describes how it's embarrassing how he tries to appear human. You see that he is trying to attain roles that will give his life meaning, direction such as becoming a Dad or becoming a mangaka. His father enforced the idea that a person who does not earn money is not human. Along with this idea, his dad enforced many restrictions on him and directed the way that he is to live his life. It seems that he definitely resents his father, opposes this mindset yet he finds himself following the words of his father. There is a very big difference between his clown act and his attempt to become human, yet there are also similarities. The difference is that when he was younger, it was his last time to try to find affection from humans since acting like a clown pleased others, and he cares about getting people to like him. He cared for this possible attachment with people. When he tries to become human in the present, some people may argue with me that he tries to do the same, however I believe he attempts to put on this act to satisfy himself and not for anyone else. What is similar, is of course, that both are acts of deception and complete lies.

The creature, the monster appears throughout this episode because no matter how hard our protagonist tries to "become human" he feels that society is opposing him. Society, a collection of individuals oppose him when he tries to live a normal life which serves as a great reminder to him of his past (and his present) where he did not see value in his life and was going to end his life. The reason I say present is that just because he has attained the sort of roles, doesn't mean he still wants to go on living. After all, he keeps on seeing the monster and keeps on being reminded that these roles are not him. It's almost like not his reality and not his life because how he really sees himself is as a pathetic, shapeless nobody. When he sees the monster, he is reminded of that chance to leave the world which was within his grasp and how he actually wanted to depart. The world, however, has a way of imposing its expectations and beliefs on others. This is society.

In a sense, we are not who we think we are. We are who we think that other people think we are. That is part of our identity, and we are influenced by the thoughts and words of others. That is exactly how he gained his disguise when he was in school. That is exactly how he was forced out of fear to act because of his father. This is why when he lies on the snow and "tells his story" for a second he repeated the words of others and tried to say it as the truth. "I did murder that woman, I pushed her". For someone who sees himself as shapeless and without form, Ooba strives to give shape to himself but learned very quickly that this is quite difficult to do just by yourself in the world we live in. This is because people, others, have a part in your identity and it is imposed on us. Additionally, there are obviously very prevalent signs of depression as he has attempted suicide once already. Unlike another group of mental illnesses, it can be said that a person with depression is more aware of their illness as opposed to someone with, say, personality disorders or schizophrenia. I personally think that whenever people mention his double suicide attempt, our main character is constantly reminded of his non-human qualities. A person with depression knows that for other people's it's natural instinct, it's only human to go on living every day. This is a fact because we see people and the way they live since they are before our very eyes. Yet for people with depression, they see the difference in the way life is lived and output on life. For a depressed person, living is suffering. Living is excruciating. So, it is my belief that at the mention of the suicide stretches him farther and farther from the ultimate goal of becoming "human".
EarlCielMar 25, 2016 10:37 PM
Apr 24, 2016 7:51 PM

Jun 2015
This was a good episode too, that friend of him is so annoying I don't know why he keeps talking to him but my main question is:
Did he break with the megane milf !!!???
Jul 25, 2016 9:30 AM

Jun 2015
EarlCiel said:
The reason Youzou Ooba smiles is because he is told to do this act by the photographer, and in just a snapshot, a second, he wants to create the illusion that he fits in with whoever he is standing with. His smile is an illusion. His happiness has always been defined by other people or dependent on other people.
This is pretty lengthy, but I really felt inclined to analyze the episode and show thus far.

At first, it really bothered me how he kept telling others verbatim how he is a ghost in this episode even though clearly a ghost doesn't exist to others. I thought that phrase was ridiculous because these women who are talking to him and helping him clearly see him., but then we are shown the flashback of Ooba's past when he meets that boy who saw through his clown act. From that point on he looked at his reflection and became more aware of his act. In his reflection, he could not see himself. He was nobody. When people look at him, they do not see him for who he is because Ooba feels that "real" part of him does not exist. Even he doesn't know who he is, and the thought of this makes him feel pathetic. Accepting this "truth" drives him to the point of insanity in this episode several times.

In this episode, Youzou Ooba tries to become human. For the majority of his life he has put on an act where in the first episode he describes how it's embarrassing how he tries to appear human. You see that he is trying to attain roles that will give his life meaning, direction such as becoming a Dad or becoming a mangaka. His father enforced the idea that a person who does not earn money is not human. Along with this idea, his dad enforced many restrictions on him and directed the way that he is to live his life. It seems that he definitely resents his father, opposes this mindset yet he finds himself following the words of his father. There is a very big difference between his clown act and his attempt to become human, yet there are also similarities. The difference is that when he was younger, it was his last time to try to find affection from humans since acting like a clown pleased others, and he cares about getting people to like him. He cared for this possible attachment with people. When he tries to become human in the present, some people may argue with me that he tries to do the same, however I believe he attempts to put on this act to satisfy himself and not for anyone else. What is similar, is of course, that both are acts of deception and complete lies.

The creature, the monster appears throughout this episode because no matter how hard our protagonist tries to "become human" he feels that society is opposing him. Society, a collection of individuals oppose him when he tries to live a normal life which serves as a great reminder to him of his past (and his present) where he did not see value in his life and was going to end his life. The reason I say present is that just because he has attained the sort of roles, doesn't mean he still wants to go on living. After all, he keeps on seeing the monster and keeps on being reminded that these roles are not him. It's almost like not his reality and not his life because how he really sees himself is as a pathetic, shapeless nobody. When he sees the monster, he is reminded of that chance to leave the world which was within his grasp and how he actually wanted to depart. The world, however, has a way of imposing its expectations and beliefs on others. This is society.

In a sense, we are not who we think we are. We are who we think that other people think we are. That is part of our identity, and we are influenced by the thoughts and words of others. That is exactly how he gained his disguise when he was in school. That is exactly how he was forced out of fear to act because of his father. This is why when he lies on the snow and "tells his story" for a second he repeated the words of others and tried to say it as the truth. "I did murder that woman, I pushed her". For someone who sees himself as shapeless and without form, Ooba strives to give shape to himself but learned very quickly that this is quite difficult to do just by yourself in the world we live in. This is because people, others, have a part in your identity and it is imposed on us. Additionally, there are obviously very prevalent signs of depression as he has attempted suicide once already. Unlike another group of mental illnesses, it can be said that a person with depression is more aware of their illness as opposed to someone with, say, personality disorders or schizophrenia. I personally think that whenever people mention his double suicide attempt, our main character is constantly reminded of his non-human qualities. A person with depression knows that for other people's it's natural instinct, it's only human to go on living every day. This is a fact because we see people and the way they live since they are before our very eyes. Yet for people with depression, they see the difference in the way life is lived and output on life. For a depressed person, living is suffering. Living is excruciating. So, it is my belief that at the mention of the suicide stretches him farther and farther from the ultimate goal of becoming "human".

So well put, totally agree with you.
Jan 18, 2018 3:24 PM
Jul 2018
ok i can understand his sociopathy and can feel how society "presses" on him, i feel sorry for him, it's hard to live like this

but really.... i just watching a simple story about manwhore with schizophrenia :/ nothing unique
removed-userJan 18, 2018 3:36 PM
May 10, 2018 2:53 PM

Aug 2017
Oh, society think that Youzou is a murderer. Because of that, he drinks and goes to prostitutes. I like how well written he is. It's just like a normal person having problems. The psychological aspect is strong here. Damn, i hate his friend, he bothers me so much! 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 21, 2018 4:51 AM

Feb 2018
What an amazing episode, the atmosphere was outstanding.

It was a very powerful moment when he is pondering the "society won't forgive you" and went to a cinema and watched a war movie and realized that society has no right to judge him at all.

A nice subtle anti-war statement.
Aug 9, 2019 11:16 PM

May 2016
He was trying to live his life as a normal person but the society that was supposed to leave him in peace just wouldn't stop bringing up his past to the point of those rumors reaching his adoptive daughter. Even though he had realized that the ones who were judging him weren't any better than him, he still ended up being the piece of shit they regarded him to be in an effort to show to them that he doesn't give a shit towards what they say. That shitty friend of his just had to blackmail him...

Thanks to that girl who's completely out of the loop and doesn't care about rumors, he might be able to get his life together again! Ignorance truly was bliss at that moment and I hope that he won't waste his second chance at life but I have a feeling that he'll screw it up somehow.

Feb 3, 2020 5:25 AM

Jul 2015
That store owner girl is the best, the only one who doesn't judge him based on his past experiences and sees him for what he is, I really hope his story comes to a good end but I feel like with all the things he has gone through and all the bad influences it will probably end on a bad end...

Oct 12, 2020 12:54 AM

Apr 2020
Oh, man! His life was going so good with the family. Such lovely people, the daughter and his wife.

That other artist friend needs to get the fuck out of his life. And that damn ghost keeps coming back. Hope that neighbour girl fixes him up. She has been really kind to him.

This is almost nearly impossible, but I wish this story has a happy ending.
--AbiSa--
Oct 16, 2020 4:27 AM

Jul 2020
So far so good. I’m wondering if the girl in umbrella can influence how Youzou perceives the society and human. She has some great perspective in life.
Oct 31, 2021 5:00 AM

Jan 2020
There's some different scene from the manga version
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ginfizz - Dec 29, 2009

187 by yveltalkyogre »»
Yesterday, 4:03 PM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Oct 31, 2009

200 by SoliXIV »»
Aug 2, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 18, 2009

104 by JeremiahOrange »»
Feb 7, 12:59 AM

Poll: » Aoi Bungaku Series Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2009

83 by hi777 »»
Jan 18, 3:25 AM

» Aoi Bungaku OST nowhere to be found.

sdziscool - Nov 28, 2013

11 by EmoDante »»
Dec 8, 2023 1:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.