Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 12, 2019 10:52 PM

Oct 2013
I'm glad I am not the only one that when he make those weird face he looks like alphonse, anyways I'm going to have to drop this series, the comedy ruin the mood imo and thus I can't take it serious, it has a nice atmosphere that I like but the comedy aspect is just a turn off, in fmab it is ok, but for this it is not at all. Also really like the art style.

but overall Wasted potential imo.
Oct 12, 2019 11:09 PM

Aug 2018
The first episode is not bad but god dam son the whole gun face is weird and crazy
Oct 13, 2019 2:26 AM

Mar 2019
That was freaking great. Initially I was like this is too fucking weird. I didn't think it would win me over, but by the end of the episode I wanted to see more.
Oct 13, 2019 2:28 AM

Mar 2016
I can't really see how this is disappointing to a new viewer or manga fan.
It's pretty far from being a cookie-cutter crime drama.
Two things make up a great show: world building and characters; integrated into one. These two elements have combined splendidly so far and quite quick might I add.
No Guns Life so far is a post war-punk-noir and I really hope it stays this way.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Oct 13, 2019 4:10 AM

May 2019
Interesting concept. I'm impressed by the visuals and the characterisation of Inui already with his hatred of being seen as a tool.

Keen for the next episode.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Oct 13, 2019 7:37 AM

Oct 2017
Thank god the CG ain’t trash and I love that madhouse can still show his feelings even though he’s a frickin gun!

Oct 13, 2019 10:13 AM

Nov 2011
Decent start, i've been worried about Madhouse for a few years now, they've been very inconsistent in their choice of adaptation, for every Sora yori tooi basho, they've made a Shoumetsu Toshi, hopefully this is in the previous group.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Oct 13, 2019 12:03 PM
Jan 2019
As always, the Madhouse studio made an amazing animation. This anime is one of the ones that caught my attention the most and that I most expected this season, and it goes without saying that the first episode did not disappoint me, the plot caught me immediately and the protagonist pleased me 😁. That futuristic robot environment where most people have become cyborg, I love it. The end of the episode left me wanting more.
I will definitely add it to the list. It will be a pleasure to follow this anime.

Ps: It reminded me of the GUNMM manga, and the movie "Battle Angel Alita" based on the manga mentioned above.
Oct 13, 2019 2:40 PM

Apr 2017
I heard the manga was good, but I didn't like this episode. The episode just didn't show much and didn't seem interesting. I'm still gonna watch at least 2 or 3 more episodes and see if it gets better for me.
Oct 13, 2019 8:10 PM

Jan 2011
needs more cyberpunk

introduction plot wasn't that strong but episode was decent enough hopefully the world building and plot whatever it may be ends up being interesting

Inui seems like a cool but lame dude lol not much of a ladies man
Oct 14, 2019 12:36 AM

Mar 2010
Am I the only one who thought t'was rushed as fuck for a First episode?
Also doesnt make any sense for such a strong guy not fighting back that weird priestess and letting her get the boy for free, but oh well lets see the next episodes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2019 1:50 AM

Nov 2018
Thought everything was nicely done except for some of the visuals. The CGI Bothered me quite a bit, but overall the animation and visuals looked pretty solid. I was hyped when I saw the voice actor for Juuzou was the same voice actor who played Abbachio in JoJo. I think this will be one of the hidden gems of the season.

Meew2 said:
I can't really see how this is disappointing to a new viewer or manga fan.
It's pretty far from being a cookie-cutter crime drama.
Two things make up a great show: world building and characters; integrated into one. These two elements have combined splendidly so far and quite quick might I add.
No Guns Life so far is a post war-punk-noir and I really hope it stays this way.

I only read the first 3 chapters of the manga before watching the first episode, but i thought it was a pretty decent adaptation. There were quite a few moments that looked exactly as they did in panels of the manga.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
FancyjasperOct 19, 2019 3:08 AM
Oct 14, 2019 7:15 AM

May 2016
Gordon Ramsey: Finally good fucking food
Oct 14, 2019 12:16 PM
Jun 2019
Interesting first episode. I am a sucker for Noir, and this checks all the right boxes.
Oct 14, 2019 3:42 PM

Oct 2008
I like how the Gunhead guy and the Oni-faced person scared of each other's faces.

Gunhead: Whoa! What the hell is that! I gotta dry myself out! Im gonna rust! Im gonna rust! Im gonna rust!

*spins the cylinder*

Oni-face: Aaahhh! Y-Your head is spinning...

Gunhead and Oni-face (as they stare at each other): Aaaaahhhh!

Lol what an reaction! I like the little gag here.
jestynOct 14, 2019 3:57 PM
Oct 14, 2019 6:43 PM
Jul 2019
This is going to be a heavy hitter this season
Oct 14, 2019 7:17 PM

Apr 2013
Super interesting, love the dark setting and designs so far. Madhouse delivers, excited to see how it will play out!
Oct 14, 2019 7:58 PM

Mar 2014
Nice first episode!
I like the idea of using Unreal Engine for the CGI backgrounds.
While oil-painted backgrounds from retro anime will always be superior to me, I think I prefer these rendered backgrounds to modern digitally painted ones, there's a certain level of detail that is lost with digitally painted backgrounds and I feel like CG rendered ones tend to bring some of that detail back.

Also, if this mixed media approach can allow animators to focus on making better looking character animation, like in this first episode, then I'm all on-board with this idea. It's a thousand times better than using CGI for any kind of character animation, that's for sure.
It also helps that the character design is so damn good in this show. Aside from the gun-head and the mechanical designs for the cybernetic characters, even the humans have a unique and interesting look to them that feels fresh and new.

As for the show itself, I absolutely love how this is bringing back that old-school cyberpunk setting. I really hope this starts a trend of more cyberpunk series being made.
The main character is cool, and I like the whole setup for his backstory. However, those silly reactions feel a little out of place with the rest of the tone the series has...
I also feel like the dialogue was a little weak in spots, but I did enjoy the story beats thus far.

4/5 episode for me. Definitely way more interesting than anything else appears to be this season.
Excited for the next episode!
vigorousjammerOct 14, 2019 8:12 PM
::End of Transmission::

Oct 14, 2019 8:45 PM

Feb 2017
Damn, this felt so fresh and cool; glad I gave it a shot.
𝘼 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙙𝙬𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙖 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮
Oct 15, 2019 12:52 AM

Apr 2015
madhouse being madlads. dat train punch tho.

the first 20-ish minutes was a boring worldbuild. I get it, they have to establish the steampunk setting somehow.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Oct 15, 2019 9:46 AM

Aug 2017
What was that Unreal Engine logo in the Ending? They're funding the anime, the CGI was made using the Engine or something like that? I'm curious now.
Oct 16, 2019 12:06 AM

Dec 2018
If these people are trying to beat Akame Ga Kill in worst timed and executed Comedy, they win!. the Squee! expressions ruined the Episode.
Oct 16, 2019 8:44 PM

Jan 2014
It was meh compared to Beastars but it will get better I guess

and it's a 2 cour so it has immense potential
You will soon learn that a heart that choose to exist, even in a life filled with pain, will one day allow us to meet again.
With the world's blessings, we will meet again and again, forever returning to the homeworld we've yet to see.
Many, many times.

Oct 16, 2019 9:47 PM
Sep 2019
As I watched the first episode , it was good and the graphics and visuals effects were great (I mean it's Madhouse after all😅) I'm excited to continue 👍

Now there's no tension yet (you know first episode) but I think things will get moving soon. The story seems to be amazing and I like how the anime went straight into the story.
HozayfaHBOct 16, 2019 9:52 PM
Oct 18, 2019 12:57 PM

Aug 2018
What a great premise for what's going to be a very good anime this season.
I really like the world that's been created, it's aesthetic and story. Then there's Juuzou, a resolver with a gun for a head.
Along with the op, there's a lot that I like. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this will turn out.
Oct 18, 2019 9:23 PM

Mar 2019
Really good pilot, series reminds me of old classics like Battle Angel Alita or a little more modern Dorohedoro, must watch of this season for me.
Oct 19, 2019 3:51 AM

Jul 2016
Romo3 said:
I haven't read the manga but what a strong start to this series. I'd definitely binge watch it today if all the episodes were out.

Was quite the opener.

Looking forward to seeing where this one goes
Oct 20, 2019 7:35 AM

Feb 2018
That evil nun imposter would've been a really good villain in Ghost in the Shell imo, with the whole objects can't have sentience and stuff. I heard the manga was a bit weird, haven't read it myself but overall I enjoyed the episode. I'd compare it to Black Lagoon or Cop Craft, but I don't want to jinx anything so nah. Also, judging from the ed there are still a ton of characters we need to meet, which I'm looking forward to (Winry-esque mechanic?). Speaking of FMA/B too, the art for the comedic shots totally reminded me of the ones with Al in those shows. I don't really expect Madhouse to drop the ball on this in terms of art and animation, but I just hope it doesn't lose steam because of the writing. 4/5
Oct 21, 2019 1:35 PM
Aug 2011
Reminiscent to early to mid 00s Madhouse fare which isn't a bad thing and I also think it looks pretty good
... but I only managed to get halfway through before I zoned out. Just don't feel like watching this type of series right now.
Oct 26, 2019 10:25 AM

Jul 2008
A noir show with a main character that has a gun for a head.

YES PLEASE!
Oct 28, 2019 10:53 PM

Feb 2015
Well, I liked the cyberpunk atmosphere, mixed with noir, despite the first episode didn’t show its potential in technology, surely, it stablished the basis. I didn’t get the scene where Juuzou got shot and fell, it looked so slow, like he was waiting for it. Then, somehow, related to the red light dispositive (I think), Juuzou knew where Tetsurou was, and what an impact. Good opening.
Nov 16, 2019 11:57 PM
Mar 2019
He punches a fuckn train?!
Nov 18, 2019 9:01 AM
Nov 2019
Muy bueno,excelente diría yo
Nov 19, 2019 8:20 AM

Feb 2019
The steampunk dystopian setting is interesting. Honestly it reminds me a lot of Cyberpunk 2077 with all its replaced body parts and technology integrated into your body.

Juuzo is pretty interesting. I initially took him for the veteran badass that, you know, doesn't smile, is jaded, etc. But I find it funny that he gets flustered so easily with girls, like when that bartender kissed his cheek and when the nun stripped.
Nov 23, 2019 5:42 AM
Jun 2013
I cant believe they made such a goofy premise (which is guy with a gun for a head) look so good. I really enjoyed this first episode and the lead is already likeable. Also boobs.
Dec 9, 2019 3:24 PM

Aug 2017
I almost fell asleep during the entire episode even in action scenes. Torture is coming.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 13, 2020 8:24 PM

Oct 2017
Art is gorgeous. I love the design of the characters and it even has non-moe girls who still look really good in a different kind of way. The nun looks amazing when the design doesn't exaggerate her breasts. Basically every shot of her after the "wow big tits" shot she looked not only more sexy but badass too.

I think making Tetsuro a boy was a weird decision. The trope of the suffering little girl is so common becuase it's damn effective. I feel if this was made 10 or more years ago there's no way that character would have been a boy. Anime of old would never have missed the opportunity for a poor suffering loli.

Usually don't complain about traditional anime tropes but the blushed face on MC with the art style shift... his whole reaction and how those moments integrated in to the story... yeah, but actually no. Just didn't work in this.

Plot setup is great. It feels like it should be a lot slower than it has been. From reading other comments it seems the manga is very slow, and it would be a shame if the anime felt the need to pick up the pace to attract more kids with ADD, but that's just how it is sometimes.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
May 21, 2020 8:52 PM
Oct 2019
Well I'm into this right off the bat.

I love stories with brooding and overpowered MCs with sordid and mysterious pasts, who are loners but have a soft side they seldom expose... Until that person one need sets the state for the entire show, and the fun begins. It gives me Gangsta. vibes, and I loved that show and its one MC, Nick.
Jul 31, 2020 5:31 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
I had my doubts at the very start of the episode but now I am intrigued. I like the fresh concept of the gun head and extensions. It sort of stretches my mind a bit over the usual anime with Big Eyes and familiar human forms. Strapped in for the entire ride.
Oct 9, 2020 3:37 PM

Apr 2012
Wow, I love Madhouse.
Dec 26, 2020 3:42 PM

Apr 2016
Jumping right in at the first episode. Main protagonist seems like a badass. I like it.
Feb 6, 2021 1:24 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty cool world and concept, especially having a main character with a Gun as a head.

Juuzo and Tetsuro could've escaped if Juuzo knew about the big guy being controlled by Tetsuro but I guess there wasn't really much time for Tetsuro to explain his situation.

Mar 29, 2022 5:36 AM

Jul 2021
I kinda like the premise but I doubt it's going fall short
Aug 23, 2022 8:16 AM

Apr 2013
Solid first episode, hope it gets better along the way though.
Oct 12, 2022 11:19 AM
Jul 2021
I am curious to know why this anime is so lowly rated. The 1st episode leaves a strong impression. Very effective dystopian world.
Jan 11, 2023 12:17 PM
May 2021
That was a nice start, this anime looks hella underrated
Mar 19, 6:21 PM
Dec 2023
episode 1 was cool, awesome designs. a lot of potential so far, can't wait to see how this story pans out!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Guns Life Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2019

35 by BiobulletM »»
Apr 12, 4:23 PM

Poll: » No Guns Life Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2019

35 by Kayarbee70 »»
Mar 23, 1:23 PM

Poll: » No Guns Life Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2019

44 by Kayarbee70 »»
Mar 21, 6:20 PM

» Can Chainsaw Man make this show resurface again?

raiderublaze - Jul 5, 2021

2 by AnimeDownUnder »»
Jan 16, 8:11 AM

» Why is this rated so low?

Sonnyman45 - Sep 7, 2021

5 by AnimeDownUnder »»
Jan 16, 8:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.