Forum Settings
Forums

Why do anime fans seem to hate eachother so much?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 27, 2019 5:10 AM
Jul 2018
QPR said:
It's not surprising, imagine a music site, you'd have heavy metal, indy, classical, acoustic all thinking their tastes were better.

So instead those sites are split up into sections. Things would be more harmonious if we had an Ecchi, comedy, mecha etc site for each different taste.

I have the same problem with music. I like almost all kind of music, except two, three genres, and listen to typical chart pop as much as I have some metal songs on my phone. If I like it, I won't deny it, just because I want to fulfill specific requirements of a certain, obnoxious group.
I hate people even more, who like to read and have a pretentious attitude of "I only read high, classic literature, you pleb. /iamsosmart."

alshu said:
So you go around the issue redirecting me to the "Hating SAO is baaad!' topic?
Replace it with MHA or AOT than, I was just using a popular example.

It depends on the person and in which way you voice your opinion. I don't say "I hate that stuff and you're dumb for liking it" in a friend's face, when I know they will be hurt. Some others can take it, but when I know that there are a bunch of anime and characters that have a special place in someone's heart, I won't bash on it.
In the end, your hobby should be relaxing and not creating unnecessary drama or making them feel bad for nothing. That could be simple avoided by expressing an opinion in a not so hostile way, if you already know that some stuff is meaningful to them on a personal level.

Also hating on popular anime is extremely tiresome. No one else, except the type people, who constantly bash against one thing, got nerves for that childish shit.
Sep 27, 2019 5:13 AM

Apr 2017
To be honest I don't really see much hatred at all. There are some problematic individuals as in any other group, but overall I find anime fandom friendly and I have made numerous friends within it. Of course sometimes we may argue about shows, but I don't think that arguing is a sign of hatred. People can disagree and still like/be neutral to each other. If anything I would say that arguing (within reason) is a natural state of affairs.

I never hated someone after arguing about show nor did I ever felt hated by someone for it. If anything exchange of opinions, even polar opposite ones, can be very fun and at times eye opening. And even when it's not I wouldn't say it's bad.

Quite often it's also just a big meme, like friend saying to a friend that their taste or favorite show sucks without actually meaning it. I don't have much experience with other fandoms so I can't make comparisons, but besides some specific things I don't feel much hatred in anime community in general. Quite to the contrary I find it to be a very nice and friendly community. But of course one must learn how to avoid toxic individuals. If they fail at doing this then they may feel otherwise.
MrZawaSep 27, 2019 5:16 AM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Sep 27, 2019 5:18 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
There is a difference between hating something and extremely hating something. I think that's what Glenn wanted to say.

Nope, he just wanted to slap me in the face with some standard internet rhetoric like "You are denying their right of opinion." and "It's not politically correct to hate on SAO fans."...
...and I am just explaining that those guys can't talk about anything outside of their hype thus any conversation with them is very limited.
Also SAO was a random example. I can go with AOT, KNY or whatever.
Sep 27, 2019 5:24 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:
There is a difference between hating something and extremely hating something. I think that's what Glenn wanted to say.

Nope, he just wanted to slap me in the face with some standard internet rhetoric like "You are denying their right of opinion." and "It's not politically correct to hate on SAO fans."...
...and I am just explaining that those guys can't talk about anything outside of their hype thus any conversation with them is very limited.
Also SAO was a random example. I can go with AOT, KNY or whatever.
Whatever? Does it means any animu in the history?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 27, 2019 5:31 AM

Jul 2019
Well some fans attack people making anime and manga so why not other fans, right? :'(
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 27, 2019 5:31 AM

May 2018
Maneki-Mew said:

It depends on the person and in which way you voice your opinion. I don't say "I hate that stuff and you're dumb for liking it" in a friend's face, when I know they will be hurt. Some others can take it, but when I know that there are a bunch of anime and characters that have a special place in someone's heart, I won't bash on it.
In the end, your hobby should be relaxing and not creating unnecessary drama or making them feel bad for nothing. That could be simple avoided by expressing an opinion in a not so hostile way, if you already know that some stuff is meaningful to them on a personal level.

Also hating on popular anime is extremely tiresome. No one else, except the type people, who constantly bash against one thing, got nerves for that childish shit.

So you are telling me this because you are suggesting that I am doing all of the above?

Is this some personal verbal tactic of yours or I should tag it as a typical KNY behaviour?

Peeti said:

Yep.
Sep 27, 2019 5:46 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Maneki-Mew said:

So you are telling me this because you are suggesting that I am doing all of the above?

Is this some personal verbal tactic of yours or I should tag it as a typical KNY behaviour?

Peeti said:

Yep.
Hmmm.suuayyysyyayayajwjhagayahhayatayahhagagahhahay
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 27, 2019 5:56 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
Hmmm.[color=white suuayyysyyayayajwjhagayahhayatayahhagagahhahay[/color]

Yeah that too but sadly I never heard of it.
Sep 27, 2019 6:06 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:
Hmmm.[color=white suuayyysyyayayajwjhagayahhayatayahhagagahhahay[/color]

Yeah that too but sadly I never heard of it.
It wasn't meant to be seen. U break the code. If u r that eager then say how weak is olden age arc of berserk, johan Leeport from demon or whatever monster it's called or Griffith villian or Akira, Fmab last arc, second half of steins gate, Hunter x Hunter chimera aunty arc ( I mainly heard that these are highly respected things). Now u go,Debate.
Sep 27, 2019 6:15 AM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
Maneki-Mew said:

I don't know, if you do, but it's in general tiresome and toxic.
Why I should even hate on SAO fans themselves, when I can tell them: Yeah, I didn't like it, because [reasons] and I don't understand why it became so popular", and then maybe ask what they like about it or just move on.
Also that gives fans the chance to explain why they like that particular thing.
If they understand THAT as an attack tho, that's their problem then.
Sep 27, 2019 6:26 AM

Aug 2018
deg said:
tribalism "us vs them" mentality is part of human nature

so make a common goal like a common enemy to unite the anime fandom like maybe hollywood fans vs anime fans

Pretty much this. Not only humans aswell. Other primates do the exact thing. It's a typical primate thing.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Sep 27, 2019 6:28 AM

Jun 2016
Why should we stick together? Do we have a country to defend or something?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 27, 2019 6:40 AM

Sep 2019
Theo1899 said:
Why should we stick together? Do we have a country to defend or something?
Hoomanity is the reason we should stick together.
Sep 27, 2019 6:40 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
It wasn't meant to be seen.

Then why write it?

Peeti said:
U break the code.

I am internet peasant, I don't follow any code.

Peeti said:
If u r that eager then say how weak is olden age arc of berserk, johan Leeport from demon or whatever monster it's called or Griffith villian or Akira, Fmab last arc, second half of steins gate, Hunter x Hunter chimera aunty arc ( I mainly heard that these are highly respected things). Now u go,Debate.

Nothing to debate here.
I simply noted that if someone likes and talks about only one title, never beyond it...well it would be hard talking to him/her.

Peeti said:

You sound like ferengi - the more hoomans, the more profit you can make from them.

Maneki-Mew said:

I don't know, if you do

Why telling it to me than?
Like how this connects with what I said earlier?

Maneki-Mew said:
but it's in general tiresome and toxic

Which means nothing without actual context.

Maneki-Mew said:
Why I should even hate on SAO fans themselves

And I am not saying that anyone should hate anybody.
Just commenting on how some of them can't step beyond the fact that there are people who dislike their favourite show.
More of a sad observation.
Why should they care? What is stopping them from continuing with other amimes?
alshuSep 27, 2019 6:47 AM
Sep 27, 2019 6:44 AM
Nov 2014
I didn't really think about it before, I just watch anime alone at home in my room.
Maybe because I have few friends to talk to and discuss about anime or episodes or characters etc ...
Maybe that's why I don't interact much with the community.
That is why these reasons do not interest me much.
It makes no difference to me.
Sep 27, 2019 6:58 AM
Nov 2018
Cuz filthy weebs are filthy weebs that’s why
Sep 27, 2019 7:29 AM

Jun 2019
Do we? I like most people on this forum quite a lot, as long as they have humane views on life. As for their anime opinions, I really couldn't care any less. If anything, it's cool we all share a hobby.

Sep 27, 2019 7:58 AM

Nov 2016
Hate is such a strong word mate, we like to argue and shittalk which is nothing out of the ordinary, I mean try getting into sport fandoms for a sec and nowadays even those ones wouldn't be qualified as hateful either

And this entire thing of sticking for each other because we like japenese cartoons as if we were some undangered species really doesn't sound right in this day where nerd culture is literally everywhere
JoyBoy_316Sep 27, 2019 8:05 AM
Sep 27, 2019 8:21 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
Peeti said:
It wasn't meant to be seen.

Then why write it?

Peeti said:
U break the code.

I am internet peasant, I don't follow any code.

Peeti said:
If u r that eager then say how weak is olden age arc of berserk, johan Leeport from demon or whatever monster it's called or Griffith villian or Akira, Fmab last arc, second half of steins gate, Hunter x Hunter chimera aunty arc ( I mainly heard that these are highly respected things). Now u go,Debate.

Nothing to debate here.
I simply noted that if someone likes and talks about only one title, never beyond it...well it would be hard talking to him/her.

Peeti said:

You sound like ferengi - the more hoomans, the more profit you can make from them.

Maneki-Mew said:

I don't know, if you do

Why telling it to me than?
Like how this connects with what I said earlier?

Maneki-Mew said:
but it's in general tiresome and toxic

Which means nothing without actual context.

Maneki-Mew said:
Why I should even hate on SAO fans themselves

And I am not saying that anyone should hate anybody.
Just commenting on how some of them can't step beyond the fact that there are people who dislike their favourite show.
More of a sad observation.
Why should they care? What is stopping them from continuing with other amimes?
So u r calling urself an internet peasent. U r more like a internet warrior. U break codes and ask why I wrote it. Your mind is good in trolling too. So, if talking about Hoomanity according to you is bad/evil, then I think u have love with terrorists. You sound like a new gang leader.
PeetiSep 27, 2019 9:23 AM
Sep 27, 2019 8:25 AM

Feb 2017
Human nature is one of conflict. Even if there are only 2 people left in the world with each given full control and ability of equal measure, they will still come into conflict to rule the entire world. We just cant leave others alone.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Sep 27, 2019 8:32 AM
Aug 2017
I mean in general it’s just kinda because people want to feel superior or feel like they need to justify what they like, so be it shows, waifus and everything else.
To be honest though, I think there’s so much infighting because there’s so much variety. That’s not a bad thing!!

At the very least, if someone tries to insult anime as a whole, I’m sure we’ll all be quick to defend eachother.
Sep 27, 2019 8:36 AM

Sep 2009
Chromosomes difference, hence preferences difference...
Sep 27, 2019 8:54 AM

Jul 2019
Anime community is like politics, from politic view people have a different opinion on left wing or right wing. From MAL view you can take opinions on different genres for example (I take the general one, because people can have a very complex parameters and that's too much writing), when different opinions collide you have a conflict and conflict often create hate.
Sep 27, 2019 9:07 AM

Apr 2015
As usual, the utilization of the "hate" term is used so broadly that people misuse it at the end. People won't go around snapping your neck because you said something they don't agree with. (Well, unless it comes from a constant accumulation ...)

You could just say those people dislike each other and that's it.

Anyway, people opinions differ so "conflict" ensues, especially when people are stuck to their own opnion without will to nuance it if the other brings a good point to refute your idea of something.

I mean, there's clearly a phenomenon of elitism around the community but that's just something people started to notice around the anime boom of 2012-2013 in the west.

Last of all, negativity bias. The fact that this thread exists is the proof of it. I mean people are so concentrated towards the negativity around here that they forget about the positivity we're getting everyday from this passion/hobby of ours.
Honestly, it'd be better if people were to accept that others won't watch shows by the criterias of others most of the time (unless you're easily influenced by others such as Youtubers).

Aren't you there to enjoy what you watch in the first place ?
mar1217Sep 27, 2019 9:14 AM
Sep 27, 2019 9:08 AM

Sep 2019
Maneki-Mew said:
alshu said:

I don't know, if you do, but it's in general tiresome and toxic.
Why I should even hate on SAO fans themselves, when I can tell them: Yeah, I didn't like it, because [reasons] and I don't understand why it became so popular", and then maybe ask what they like about it or just move on.
Also that gives fans the chance to explain why they like that particular thing.
If they understand THAT as an attack tho, that's their problem then.
U being reasonable with Alshu. Tell me if u succeed for reasonable discussion because this guy is a superiorplex uncle.
Sep 27, 2019 9:16 AM

May 2009
alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Besides the fact that I know at least several JoJo fans who are quite capable of talking about things other than JoJo

Wow, really?
And they don't reference JoJo with absolutely no reason like every third sentence or so?
Indeed. And I'm speaking as a person who isn't into JoJo.

And one of them was even my roommate for a while. He did have a bad habit of overloading himself on anime and games, but at the very least he certainly wasn't a one-trick pony of JoJo references.

alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
the SAO hatedom being frankly kinda obnoxious

When you said "Try to reason with an SAO fan", I thought you meant "Try to tell them that SAO shouldn't be their favorite show" -- particularly in light of how we've just had two threads about SAO (albeit one of which was deleted).

But, what did you mean by it?

alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
But everyone has their stuff that they just like or don't like watching.

OK but admit that pushing their favourites in any possible conversation is kind of a killjoy.
Agreed that when it comes to questions like "what's the best soundtrack?" or "what's the most touching scene you've ever watched?", someone who hasn't watched much will have a rather boring palette of answers.

However, I can't exactly blame them for those answers per se, because they're just answering on face value, rather than answering for the sake of making more interesting social interaction.

alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I just don't see a need to pull someone away from their love of battle shounens, or whatever it may be.

As mentioned above it's the other way around - a lot of those fans see every other anime as some sort of badly conceived battle shounen which lacks levelling up, tournament arcs, long "Mamoru!" monologues, needless flashbacks + recaps and absurdly slow nonsensical battles.
As a person who had little interest in anime for many years because I myself saw it as a combination of battle shounens and slapstick comedy (neither of which I am a huge fan of), I can say, either they gradually warm up to the fact that anime is more than that, or they simply stick to their thing and run with it. If they were to pester me with stuff I might inform them that anime is more than what they think it is, but I don't see any reason to go out of my way to talk to them about anime.
GlennMagusHarveySep 27, 2019 9:22 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 27, 2019 9:25 AM

Sep 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
alshu said:

Wow, really?
And they don't reference JoJo with absolutely no reason like every third sentence or so?
Indeed. And I'm speaking as a person who isn't into JoJo.

And one of them was even my roommate for a while. He did have a bad habit of overloading himself on anime and games, but at the very least he certainly wasn't a one-trick pony of JoJo references.

alshu said:

When you said "Try to reason with an SAO fan", I thought you meant "Try to tell them that SAO shouldn't be their favorite show" -- particularly in light of how we've just had two threads about SAO (albeit one of which was deleted).

alshu said:

OK but admit that pushing their favourites in any possible conversation is kind of a killjoy.
Agreed that when it comes to questions like "what's the best soundtrack?" or "what's the most touching scene you've ever watched?", someone who hasn't watched much will have a rather boring palette of answers.

However, I can't exactly blame them for those answers per se, because they're just answering on face value, rather than answering for the sake of making more interesting social interaction.

alshu said:

As mentioned above it's the other way around - a lot of those fans see every other anime as some sort of badly conceived battle shounen which lacks levelling up, tournament arcs, long "Mamoru!" monologues, needless flashbacks + recaps and absurdly slow nonsensical battles.
As a person who had little interest in anime for many years because I myself saw it as a combination of battle shounens and slapstick comedy (neither of which I am a huge fan of), I can say, either they gradually warm up to the fact that anime is more than that, or they simply stick to their thing and run with it. If they were to pester me with stuff I might inform them that anime is more than what they think it is, but I don't see any reason to go out of my way to talk to them about anime.
He is asleep I guess. Wait for next day when u will get a red notification from him.
Sep 27, 2019 9:28 AM

Sep 2019
deg said:

so make a common goal like a common enemy to unite the anime fandom like maybe hollywood fans vs anime fans
Then slowly slowly, turn the fight from animu fans vs Hollywood fans to earth fans vs Pluto fans and then the boss fight will be: us universe fans vs etc.
And then,at the end when no one is left to fite then we will meet our happy ending. RIP.
PeetiSep 27, 2019 9:33 AM
Sep 27, 2019 9:56 AM

May 2016
Ranpyone said:
Like they form groups and such ... shouldn't we stick together instead of infighting over irrelevant stuff over which is the better show, taste, waifu, time period, etc...

Anime is already a weird enough medium that unites many unique people together... why complicate it? Seems counterproductive imo.

Or do you have a different experience?

Lol, we are FANS, not a political group.

To "stick together" just creates stagnation, which is what we least want on this forums.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Sep 27, 2019 10:02 AM

Nov 2018
because people have different opinions and worldviews, and when a "fandom" has a lot of people, then the variety of opinions is even more apparent
and the result is what you see, it's not very exclusive only among anime fans actually

❝見つめないで 悲しい方を
目を瞑って 口づけしよう
甘く溶けるメロディー❞

❝邪魔しないで
真夜中のパラダイス
息もせずに潜っていく
二人だけのダンス❞
Sep 27, 2019 10:05 AM

May 2016
deg said:

Since you've brought it up, I'll just leave this here...

Human nature =/= Naturaly good
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Sep 27, 2019 3:33 PM

May 2018
Peeti said:
So u r calling urself an internet peasent. U r more like a internet warrior.

A new RPG class: peasant-warrior.

Peeti said:
I think u have love with terrorists.

Now that was sudden and kind of rude.

Peeti said:
You sound like a new gang leader.

A gang leader wouldn't waste his time on an anime forum.
I guess you didn't get the ferengi reference tho...you loose nerd points.

Peeti said:
to earth fans vs Pluto fans

Naaah, there is a heart shape on Pluto. This celestial body is all about love and carrying.

GlennMagusHarvey said:

Not a JoJo fan than.
I guess he was only temporary into the trend.

GlennMagusHarvey said:

Generalizing?

GlennMagusHarvey said:

Well try to tell them to:
- Stop carrying about what other people think about SAO.
- Stop trying to change what other people think about SAO.

GlennMagusHarvey said:

If the topic is not about recommendations or comparing between different titles, pushing your favourites with no connection whatsoever...well at least it will be counterproductive.

GlennMagusHarvey said:

My point is that when you talk with such fan you can get some strange statements what is good and what is wrong with certain title.
Like you can judge fairly a sport anime by battle shounen criterium because they are somehow similar on a basic level but not for example a romantic shoujo.
alshuSep 27, 2019 3:38 PM
Sep 27, 2019 3:49 PM

May 2009
alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Not a JoJo fan than.
I guess he was only temporary into the trend.
Oh, it's been years since I lived with him and he's still into it. He's definitely a dedicated fan, not just "temporarily into the trend".

alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Well try to tell them to:
- Stop carrying about what other people think about SAO.
- Stop trying to change what other people think about SAO.
Fair enough. Though simply asking about opinions is still fair game.

alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

If the topic is not about recommendations or comparing between different titles, pushing your favourites with no connection whatsoever...well at least it will be counterproductive.
Well, sure, though one's favorite titles might very well have lots to do with a variety of possible topics.

alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

My point is that when you talk with such fan you can get some strange statements what is good and what is wrong with certain title.
Like you can judge fairly a sport anime by battle shounen criterium because they are somehow similar on a basic level but not for example a romantic shoujo.
And I'd consider such "strange statements" to be interesting as a different perspective on something, as long as they're communicated in a respectful way.
Sep 27, 2019 4:17 PM

May 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Oh, it's been years since I lived with him and he's still into it. He's definitely a dedicated fan, not just "temporarily into the trend".

All the JoJo fans I know can't stop talk about it and bring it even into topics about other animes they really like.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Though simply asking about opinions is still fair game.

Who asking who?
They will bring SAO into any conversation because it's unfairly treated (the only one?) so they have the moral high ground or something.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
And I'd consider such "strange statements" to be interesting as a different perspective on something, as long as they're communicated in a respectful way.

I will try to explain myself with a Mark Twain quote:

The coffee had been steadily growing more and more execrable for the space of three weeks, till at last it had ceased to be coffee altogether and had assumed the nature of mere discolored water — so this person said. He said it was so weak that it was transparent an inch in depth around the edge of the cup. As he approached the table one morning he saw the transparent edge — by means of his extraordinary vision long before he got to his seat. He went back and complained in a high-handed way to Capt. Duncan. He said the coffee was disgraceful. The Captain showed his. It seemed tolerably good. The incipient mutineer was more outraged than ever, then, at what he denounced as the partiality shown the captain’s table over the other tables in the ship. He flourished back and got his cup and set it down triumphantly, and said:

“Just try that mixture once, Captain Duncan.”

He smelt it — tasted it — smiled benignantly — then said:

“It is inferior — for coffee — but it is pretty fair tea.”

So yeah different perspective on coffee.
Sep 27, 2019 4:30 PM

May 2009
alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

All the JoJo fans I know can't stop talk about it and bring it even into topics about other animes they really like.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Though simply asking about opinions is still fair game.

Who asking who?
They will bring SAO into any conversation because it's unfairly treated (the only one?) so they have the moral high ground or something.
Either you've had some bad experiences with people, or you're overgeneralizing bad behaviors onto larger groups of people. Well, actually, you're definitely doing the latter; the former might simply explain why you're doing it.
Sep 27, 2019 4:45 PM

May 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Either you've had some bad experiences with people, or you're overgeneralizing bad behaviors onto larger groups of people. Well, actually, you're definitely doing the latter; the former might simply explain why you're doing it.

Or you are ignoring what they do constantly.
Sep 27, 2019 4:46 PM

May 2009
alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Or you are ignoring what they do constantly.
They're a little hard to ignore when I'm on the same Discord chat...or the same apartment, for that matter.

So your perceptions are overly generalized.
Sep 27, 2019 5:00 PM

May 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Like repeating that will convince me that the JoJo, SAO ect. fans are actually very kind and polite (which kind of contradicts with my personal experiences including MAL).
Maybe it's mainly neutral fans fault that there is raging hate into the anime society?
Sep 27, 2019 5:03 PM

May 2009
alshu said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Like repeating that will convince me that the JoJo, SAO ect. fans are actually very kind and polite (which kind of contradicts with my personal experiences including MAL).
No, I'm not trying to convince you that they're "actually very kind and polite".

They're a mixed bag. Just like any other fandom of substantial size.
Sep 27, 2019 5:17 PM

May 2018

Well actually I don't care about peanuts but from your perspective the peanuts in this bag doesn't matter because there are enough other nuts...

OK, I am just saying about the peanuts.

PS
But even 1/4 peanuts is too much if you dislike peanuts.
alshuSep 27, 2019 5:35 PM
Sep 27, 2019 5:20 PM

Oct 2016
Believe it or not.. Most we all Tsundere xD
Sep 27, 2019 5:42 PM

Mar 2016
I don't try to hate people for having different opinions, but I'll tell ya this. There are some hella pompous af individuals on this disjointed site who do nothing but shit on post-90s shows and fiercely defend the old-school classics. Those are the ones that are really insufferable, imho.
Sep 27, 2019 9:31 PM

Sep 2015
Anyone ever take a look at this site's clubs section? It's fascinating in a way, like stepping into a portal into a world with its own domestic and foreign entanglements. Ecchi fan? Come over H&E, we've got a stranglehold on ecchi clubs because we were smart and adapted to the post-Discord era of clubs the fastest and therefore were able to get the bulk of Discord activity for ecchi fans, which is starving Ecchi Squad and E/H out quite handily whenever so much club activity across the whole site has migrated to Discord. Slice of Life? Fuck it, Comfy Camp, they had that whole messy split with Usagi and the Slice of Life club to carve out their own niche and they took the majority of SoL's activity with them due to Usagi making the worst cessation in the history of cessations. Seasonals? Anime Guild. Moe? Anime Paradise Club. I'm less involved in keeping up with clubs more geared towards critical discourse and reviews, but I know CnC is a thing that had a decent-ish activity slate at one point in the recent past at the very least, but that's one of the few active club servers I don't have an alt in so that whole thing is largely obscured to me, only have secondhand knowledge. Heard it's dead even more recently, but iunno.

It reminds me of Morrowind. You want to play a rogue? House Hlaalu, the pro-Imperial and most progressive faction. Mage? Telvanni, conservative and isolationist and xenophobic as fuck. It's fascinating to watch everything unfold and try to understand the mechanisms of how things are working, but you're going to have a very hard time fitting in if you don't choose your group based on what type of fan you are/class you play, and the rest of that is laid out before you. Wanted to play a mage but join the progressive Hlaalu and not the xenophobic as fuck Telvanni? Good fucking luck, you can do it, but you're going to have a much, much, *much* harder time. This is how I feel this community tends to work.

But depending on what type of fan you are, there's a fucking club for it on this site somewhere, with a fucking discord server, that runs its own events, so on and so forth, and they all have their own admittance practices and ways of communicating and shit. They will have their own communities. And if you're more interested in community and less interested in discourse, then finding the right niche for you and tracking down the right club on this site - the one where people actually gather at - is the way to go. And that might not be exactly what you want it to be like sometimes, so you can easily end up feeling isolated if the Telvanni/Hlaalu metaphor I desparately tried using ends up being true.

It's legitimately fascinating how eager we are to be away from other anime fans and closer to our own niche. We tribe up. We try carving out our own little subcultures instead of ascribing to a larger anime/manga subculture. We both like anime and manga, but chances are that you and I aren't like each other. And chances are that I don't want to be like you and at best can only tolerate your perspective. Most people don't even do that and simply devolve into backwards shittalking about other types of fans on a collective in a way that's shockingly reminiscent of some other real world behavior I can't quite put my finger on for some reason, but it's truly pathetic how far some people go all the same.

This fandom is tribal as hell. I'm not for a unitary fandom, either, mind you. We're too big, and people are too invested in this medium for different reasons to ever progress beyond tolerance of each other's existences. And I dig it when people are tolerant of other types of fans and advocate that, but overall I think that's still idealistic.

But yeah, people should get into the club scene on this site more if they want to see how irreversibly fractured this fandom is. @Pullman is spot on, as sad as it sounds. AD really is probably the best place for community for people who aren't going to group up with a specific niche.

Anime community doesn't exist, it's a bazillion tiny communities. And they all suck. Except mine, of course. But overall, this is a shitty fandom to join if you want to be a part of a community.

---

As for why we hate each other so much?

Imagine, YOU LIKE ECCHI? VIRGIN NECKBEARD BASEMENT DWELLER INCEL NAZI. Imagine, CODE GEASS IS THE ONLY MECHA I LIKE LMAO EVEYRYTHING ELSE SUCKS, I'VE NEVER SEEN ANY OTHER MECHA BUT THIS IS HOW ALL MECHA SHOULD BE. Imagine, YOU ARE AN ELITIST BECAUSE OF HOW YOU WATCH ANIME AND BECAUSE YOU LIKE THIS THING, STOP LOOKING DOWN ON ME YOU PRETENTIOUS PIECE OF SHIT. Imagine, EW YOU LIKE SLICE OF LIFE WHAT ARE YOU A PEDOPHILE? YOU'RE DISGUSTING.

Mean scores, favorites, fucking everything. It's such a superficial community in this way, the stupid shit people care about.

You really like something annnnnnnnd you have to deal with a horde of non-fans acting this way. There's no way around it. But you can go to a place with people like you and not hear this from all sides~~~

It's amazing how we wonder why we hate each other so much whenever shit like this is so common. Why do people group up into niches in the first place, one might ask, but I think people who have basic observational skills could pick up as much within 5 minutes of using this very discussion board.
ManabanSep 27, 2019 10:11 PM

Sep 27, 2019 11:13 PM

Mar 2019
I've been on internet forums for a long time. Personally, I think music forums are a lot worse than MAL. One forum I was on, people got doxxed, stalked, had their real life photos posted before mods took it down. The arguments on music forums can get really severe. I saw people post three or four whole paragraphs verbally tearing each other apart. At least on MAL, people mostly keep their arguments to the topic itself.

Video game forums have less truly malicious and dangerous things happen, but people insult and are randomly rude to each other a lot more frequently than on MAL. You could post a topic and have like ten people bombard you with "you're fucking stupid and should go kys." But for the most people they're just blowing off steam and will probably not even remember who you are an hour later.

My dad was on a football forum and said some people argued so intensively and got so mad at each other they met up in real life and had a fist fight.

I think MAL is doing alright. Every forum has arguing and drama. Arguing is an expected part of internet forums. Actually it'd be pretty boring if you think about it if we didn't have arguing.

Until some truly malicious shit is going down, I'm gonna say MAL is a pretty tame forum.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2019 11:16 PM
Sep 2019
It's up to the individual. These days people are talking over meaningless things.
Sep 27, 2019 11:19 PM

Oct 2018
LoliFapp said:
Believe it or not.. Most we all Tsundere xD

Whaa.. Whaa..what?! I'm not tsundere, you're tsundere you stupid weeb!
BAKA
Sep 27, 2019 11:22 PM
May 2019
Never encountered someone whom I hate so much when it comes to anime. But I were able to witness peoples here in internet who's arguing about their anime taste lol.
Sep 27, 2019 11:39 PM
Jul 2018
Because identifying by your hobbies is dumb, and to think it creates an equal field of understanding is also kind of childish.

I don't think there is any reason the bulk of anime fans couldn't be more civil to each other, but its the internet. A pair of weebs in a ranting argument full of swears and slurs anonymously on an Anime website, could probably be found holding the door open for one another at an Anime convention if the universe played its cards right. Neither individual knowing just days before what kind of D-Bags they were being to each other on the .com. That is just the way it goes. Just make a conscious effort to not be part of the problem, and maybe it will get better. I am not without sin on this one, but we could all stand to be a little kinder.

Sep 27, 2019 11:43 PM
Jul 2018
Ryuk9428 said:
I've been on internet forums for a long time. Personally, I think music forums are a lot worse than MAL. One forum I was on, people got doxxed, stalked, had their real life photos posted before mods took it down. The arguments on music forums can get really severe. I saw people post three or four whole paragraphs verbally tearing each other apart. At least on MAL, people mostly keep their arguments to the topic itself.

Video game forums have less truly malicious and dangerous things happen, but people insult and are randomly rude to each other a lot more frequently than on MAL. You could post a topic and have like ten people bombard you with "you're fucking stupid and should go kys." But for the most people they're just blowing off steam and will probably not even remember who you are an hour later.

My dad was on a football forum and said some people argued so intensively and got so mad at each other they met up in real life and had a fist fight.

I think MAL is doing alright. Every forum has arguing and drama. Arguing is an expected part of internet forums. Actually it'd be pretty boring if you think about it if we didn't have arguing.

Until some truly malicious shit is going down, I'm gonna say MAL is a pretty tame forum.

I got a set of rockem sockem robots from back in the day, unless people are willing to throw down that way, I don't think id ever meet up for a duel.
Sep 27, 2019 11:47 PM

Dec 2018
Good question. And the blatant fact is it does not only happen in this community, concerning internet particularly. People are often either too sentimental, or narcissist, or self-deprecated, or just misanthropic, all gather to the internet, and with those who take their time to actually voice up, they come for a common sole purpose - rant and express opinions. They can't refrain themselves from fully expressing in order to feel fulfilled, but that quite often involves abhorrent insults and intolerable attitude due to difference in personal perspective, ideals and characteristics. They can't stand one another, and they felt 'ah hey, nobody's gonna know who tf i am, so imma murder you by words'. We all are quite similar, often either can't stand others' opinions (even if we think we do), or can't stand others' attitude. But most of all, we felt the true freedom of speech, the anxiety-free to really say what we think and to fire back at random people for simplistic pleasure. We all quite possibly are bunch of charlatan who have superfluous time to gleefully spare on the internet basically expressing acute emotions, often hatred. Having to be anonymous is just making things even more extreme.
PreacheeSep 27, 2019 11:51 PM
. . .
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

175 by Cielord »»
4 minutes ago

» Why doesn't most psychological anime explore the psyche of their characters?

Deathlydash - 6 hours ago

8 by Gaurxv »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Best character with finite mana

Catalano - 1 hour ago

6 by Coaghim »»
9 minutes ago

» Am I the only one who's watched Tokyo Mew Mew

Jukemania - Yesterday

23 by DesuMaiden »»
10 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows ( 1 2 )

Treatise - Sep 19

56 by Lucifrost »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.