Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jun 17, 2019 3:39 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting episode and a very interestin backstory of Grisha. Comes to no surprise that he has suffered quite a bit as well.

Some of these Titans that were created in this episode's flashback looked so familiar, as Eren pointed out, Dina actually became the Titan that ate Eren's mum. Ironic if you think about it, Wife #1 eats Wife #2...

Also, that's some serious bed hair Girl!!
Jun 17, 2019 6:21 PM

Sep 2012
p_g_adi said:

Now here is what I am finding strange and makes me not know what to believe with the knowledge that I have so far: my opinion is that Grisha made a huge mistake when he stole the Founding Titan because he basically made the strongest weapon the Walls had into nothing. Frieda could have simply controlled the titans and save the walls.

Also... why would Marley attack when the Founding Titan was there to defend the Walls? What victory chances did they actually think they have? From what we've seen, it seems that Grisha killed Frieda after the Shiganshina attack happened.

I do understand why he had to kill Frieda and the let's talk it out option was not possible because she could have erased his memories, but why weaken the Walls so much? Was he thinking that he would go search for Dina and let her eat him so that a royal blood would get the power of the Founding Titan?

Another question would be why Rod was to able to get away with the barons from using the Founding Titan and retake wall Maria during those years.

The Fritz family are a bunch of losers that refused to take part in anything. Rod talked about how his father felt because he had the Foundin Titan's memories and then the same happened to his brother. They'd just let Marley have their way.

The barons didn't know Rod had the Foundin Titan.
Jun 17, 2019 6:30 PM

Jan 2009
Oh_yeah_yeah said:
Is Dina the titan who kills Erens mother??

yes its ironic right
Jun 17, 2019 7:08 PM

Aug 2014
The song that plays during the Owl is awesome. It's been stuck in my since last night. Can't wait for the OST to finally come out.
Jun 17, 2019 7:38 PM

Jul 2017
Grisha went through hell... That backstory was hard to watch, but it was so well done, and i think they gave us the essential information for us to understand what happened back then. I guess there will always be pathetic people in the world who just get pleasure in seeing others suffer, in this case, because of their circumstances of the past (discrimiation of the Elidians). And fucking Gross got what he deserved lmao, that was satisfying 200%. Can't wait to see what happened next!

And omg, Dina killed Eren's mother... WTF. ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED.
Jun 17, 2019 7:39 PM
May 2016
What a fucking masterpiece this anime is. That was so, so fucking good I'm still feeling the adrenaline hot off of finishing the ep. This is truly where SnK becomes an all-time classic. All the reveals, all the answers, fuck, everything was done so perfectly. They've absolutely nailed Marley in the anime, everything from the god-tier OST to that part right at the beginning with the logo, it felt like the show had truly exited the prologue. Bravo WIT, what a legendary season.

There is no greater joy than sticking with this show from the start, enduring the years of wait it took to get this far and enduring the amount of times people've called this series overrated just to get to these past 2 episodes. I'm so happy to see how many people are now able to appreciate what a fantastic job this series has done with its world-building and solid writing. There really isn't any other series out there like this.
ModernoirJun 17, 2019 8:18 PM
Jun 17, 2019 8:26 PM

Jan 2009
i just re-read the next chapters that will be animated next episode and damn its gonna be a great info dump again

Jun 17, 2019 8:32 PM
Feb 2016
SethBigBoss said:
Amazing episode. Fuck Gross

This.^ <3

People are saying the episode felt rushed, but I liked the animation & it explained A LOT of things for me. All starting to make sense now.
Jun 17, 2019 8:36 PM
May 2016

One thing I particularly liked about the ep was this speech. Like, it's a lot more clear in the anime but it being directed at the viewers made it feel a lot more violating with how truthful he is to some extent. First thing that popped into my head were the people that were cheering/happy to see Bertholdt getting eaten by Armin. Call-outs like that now that we have so much more information to go by just goes to show how much more complex and interesting this series has become over the past few eps, the morality is never skewed entirely to one side and I really like that more mature approach to a story like this.
Jun 17, 2019 9:03 PM

Sep 2014
It's crazy having so much information given to us and how significantly it explains so much of the story. It does an absolute ton to setup what the future of the series will be about too and what we are likely going to see happen (Not a manga reader). Just such an engaging time right now and can't wait to see where this all leads.
Jun 17, 2019 9:33 PM

Feb 2015
Grisha and Faye went (illegally) to see the dirigible and encountered with two soldiers, one of them hit Grisha and the other took Faye with him, Faye was found dead the next day. Grisha’s father told him that in the past, their ancestor, Ymir, received a power and she divided it into nine powers (titans), supposedly Eldia bloodily dominated the world, but the nation Marley stole seven titan powers and freed themselves. Grisha never really believed Ymir’s story (he thought that Ymir wasn’t a dictator) and eventually, he joined to a secret rebellion against Marley, an spy (Owl) sent them a woman (Dina) with royal blood that could be the only hope, they explained that Eldia’s king wasn’t interested in war and escaped to Paradise Island and built three walls, so the only hope is to find the founder titan there. Time passed and Grisha had a child with Dina, Zeke; they tried to put Zeke in the army, so he could become a titan, but he betrayed them all. The rebellion was brought to Paradise, where the soldiers showed how they inject a liquid and the humans become titans, before dying, one soldier saved Grisha, revealed himself as Owl and transformed into a titan.

The episode was very revealing, it talked about 90% of the things that we were looking for through the entire show. It’s amazing to finally know the truth, despite we cannot trust about Ymir’s origin, we saw what happened to eldians and how cruel life was. It all became a race for getting Eren’s titan, that’s why he’s so wanted. Now, Zeke’s intention are unknown, he could be in either side, he really betrayed his family or is it all part of a master plan. Zeke and Eren are half-brothers hahahaha.
Atlas77Jun 17, 2019 9:36 PM
Jun 17, 2019 9:53 PM

Jan 2011
Now that was a lot of new info to take in. Really puts it all into a new perspective.

As an anime only it's pretty obvious that Zeke is the Beast Titan.
Jun 17, 2019 10:48 PM

Aug 2015
Danpmss said:

The thing

Well, I was doing a satiric reference to those "SnK is modern Nazi propaganda" messages and threads that came out when these chapters were released in the manga. I am not a manga reader myself (I can't stand the art) but I pretty much know a lot about what's coming.
However I was not expecting to read the whole spoiler lol, I hope people don't care about our conversation.

Also, I am kinda curious about how sensitive people are about spoilers on this specific thread. Usually this is not handled so strictly on other parts of the forum.
Jun 17, 2019 11:10 PM
Jun 2019
Here's the great summaries by HK on reddit about this Episode

-The rest of the world is not overrun with Titans, and instead is a setting reminiscient of the early 1900's - roughly 1920's.

-Grisha grew up in a ghetto in a nation called Marley. Grisha and his family belong to an ethnicity called the “Eldians”.

-About 1850 years ago, an Eldian by the name of “Ymir Fritz” allegedly made a “Deal with the Devil of the Earth” and gained the power of the Titans, becoming able to turn into a Titan. (Note: We don’t know what exactly the deal was or what the devil was, the story is described as a religious myth, so we don’t know what is true and what is exaggeration yet.)

-When Ymir Fritz died, her “soul” was split into 9 Eldians, each of whom became a Shifter. One of the 9 Shifters was the Founding Titan, the master Shifter, who had the power to control Titans, and thus controlled all of the rest of the Shifters. This was the Fritz Family. Using the power of the Titans, the Eldian people created a massive empire and conquered many people, including the Marleyans.

-For many years, the Eldians ruled a large continent, passing the 9 Shifting powers down from generation to generation. The Eldian rebels claim they were good rulers who built infrastructure and improved farming, but the Marleyans claim the Eldians were genocidal and committed atrocities (we don’t know who is telling the truth, it is possible they are both correct or both incorrect).

-There would sometimes be periods of civil war as the noble Eldian families feuded with each other, but King Fritz, the mast Shifter with the Founding Titan, would always use the Coordinate to end the fighting.

-However, when the 145th King inherited the Founding Titan power, he decided not to intervene, and at the same time the Marleyans decided to launch a Rebellion against the Eldian Empire. The Marleyans somehow “stole” 7 of the 9 Shifter powers.

-Instead of crushing the rebellion and ending the War, the 145th King Fritz decided to take some of the Eldian people and sailed away to Paradis Island, where he created the 3 massive Walls out of hundreds of thousands of Mindless Titans using the power of the Founding Titan. He wiped the memories of these Eldians and prohibited the advancement of technology, for unknown reasons. Thus, he became the First King of the Walls 107 years ago.

-He makes a threat to the Marleyans: if they attack the Walls, he will unleash the army of Wall Titans and they will crush the entire world. Mutually assured destruction, essentially. The First King only wants to be left alone in peace.

-Meanwhile, back on the mainland, the Marleyans eventually won the war and became the dominant force on the continent. The Marleyans hated the Eldians for oppressing them for so many years, so they locked the Eldians up into ghettos.

-Some time after this, an Industrial Revolution happened in the outside world, creating new technology such as photography, airplanes, advanced cannons, and blimps.

-A few decades after all this, the events of this episode happened. Grisha Jaeger was born. One day, he snuck outside with his sister Faye to show her a blimp. They were caught by Marleyan soldiers, Sgt. Gross and Kruger. Grisha was beaten, while his sister was taken away and her body was found in the river. Grisha is furious, and as a child doesn’t understand why the Marleyans hate them. His parents are nearly brainwashed by Marleyan propaganda into believing that the Eldians are evil and deserve to be treated badly.

-When Grisha turns 18, an Eldian resistance movement recruits him. The Eldian rebels have a spy within the Mare government, known as “The Owl”. The Owl gives them secret documents about Eldian history, and sends them Dina Fritz, the last surviving member of a branch of the Fritz Family that chose to stay behind on the mainland instead of sail to Paradis Island.

-Grisha and Dina fall in love and are married, and have a son, who they name Zeke (the person who will later become the Ape Titan). This means Eren and Zeke are half-brothers. They and the Eldian rebels plan to one day overthrow the Marleyans, and believe Zeke will be their saviour.

-When Zeke turns 5 years old, the Mare government reveals they have plans to conquer Paradis Island to secure the vast reserves of fossil fuels and natural gas on the island, since they need fuel to power their inventions and wish to maintain their power.

-The Marleyans are recruiting Eldian children, who will become child soldiers and use the captured Titan powers to destroy the Walls. The reason they need Eldian children is because only Eldians can turn into Titans (which is one of the reasons why they hate the Eldians so much – they believe the Eldians are all monsters who are only pretending to be humans).

-Grisha and Dina decide to use Zeke as a sleeper agent to infiltrate the program and become a Shifter. However, after 2 years of training, Zeke sides with the Marleyans and betrays his parents and the other rebels. The Marleyans capture them all, but cannot find the Owl.

-The rebels are taken to a port on the southern coast of Paradis Island, where it is revealed Eldian criminals are punished by being turned into Mindless Titans forever, a fate worse than death. This is where all the Mindless Titans outside the Walls come from.

-All the rebels are turned into Mindless Titans and set loose via an injection of Titan Serum, which is revealed to be spinal fluid taken from the spine of a Titan. Several of these rebels are actually the some of the Titans that were present in the Battle of Trost. Dina is revealed to be the Smiling Titan that ate Eren’s mother.

-However, at the last moment, before Grisha is transformed, the soldier Kruger reveals that he was the Owl all along. He pushes Sgt. Gross off the wall of the port. Kruger reveals that he has one of the Titan powers, transforms, destroys the boat the Marleyans used, and begins killing the Marleyan soldiers.

SOURCE : https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/c1h8qr/shingeki_no_kyojin_season_3_episode_57_discussion/erd8gy8/
Jun 18, 2019 12:58 AM
Jan 2018
Pakumen- said:
Danpmss said:

The thing

Well, I was doing a satiric reference to those "SnK is modern Nazi propaganda" messages and threads that came out when these chapters were released in the manga. I am not a manga reader myself (I can't stand the art) but I pretty much know a lot about what's coming.
However I was not expecting to read the whole spoiler lol, I hope people don't care about our conversation.

Also, I am kinda curious about how sensitive people are about spoilers on this specific thread. Usually this is not handled so strictly on other parts of the forum.

when people accuse it of propaganda they are usually people that see a picture and instantly bash and accuse it without finding any context like twitter did a few months ago or was it last year cant remember its come up quite a lot. or look it at face value and instantly forum and opinion and act like its fact/true

some people took there time to write up this below ,

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShingekiNoKyojin/comments/c1s3gg/new_episode_spoilers_the_attack_on_titan/

(Dont worry theirs no spoilers its was written for the this episode alone )
Jun 18, 2019 1:13 AM

Aug 2017
Oh, we learn more about the outside world. So, Eldians are discriminated by Marleyans. Finally, Grisha's life is complete.

So, Grisha's first wife ate his second wife lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 18, 2019 1:15 AM
Jan 2018
Nim0174 said:
@madarchod
dude spoilers
not cool

did the anime say
Jun 18, 2019 1:43 AM
Jan 2019
Mattinator95 said:
Nim0174 said:
@madarchod
dude spoilers
not cool

did the anime say

Who the hell doesnt know that
Meh
Its pretty obvious and too stupid to not understand it
Jun 18, 2019 1:47 AM
Jan 2018
Akahiro said:
Mattinator95 said:

did the anime say

Who the hell doesnt know that
Meh
Its pretty obvious and too stupid to not understand it

quite a lot of people .
Jun 18, 2019 1:52 AM

May 2017
I was on the edge of my seat the entire ep. Loved it!
Unfortunately, I had to keep pausing and asking my partner wtf was going and trying to figure out who the Eldians/Marleys were, and I kept mixing them up lol maybe it was just me being slow, but the dump of names was mildly confusing.

I was extremely surprised to first see that Zeke is Grisha's son, Eren's half brother, and then that once Grisha and Dina indoctrinated him into their mission, he fucking betrayed them! Jesus christ, that was good. I just didn't expect it at all!

Excited to see what ends up happening to Grisha, and how the Owl helps him make it to safety.
Jun 18, 2019 2:56 AM

Jul 2016
Rushed episode. Not surprised by the twist. But sad for Faye. Grisha is stupid, Kruger is the MVP that episode. Zeke is disgusting all the way his childhood. Ironically last episode is better. To next episode.

Jun 18, 2019 4:04 AM

Jul 2012
Pakumen- said:
Danpmss said:

The thing

It's too bad you had to enter in contact with people making these claims.
I highly recommend you reading this post.

The further the series goes, the more it's established how much those claims are wrong too. Not really a spoiler, just to make sure people don't get that impression (as the reaction for the reveal was even more positive than I was expecting, I didn't feel the need to write a post like this one I just linked in here, and instead explain it directly to a couple of people that would claim or imply such things in the discussion and all that).

Edit:
Just saw that people already linked it to you above, oh well.
Jun 18, 2019 4:09 AM

Jan 2018
dammmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. what a backstory, very detailed
Jun 18, 2019 4:57 AM
Jun 2017
Ohh this is it guys, the HISTORY OF TITANS AND ON HOW IT HAS BEEN PRECEIVED ON OLDER TIMES...

Now im getting why those manga readers are saying be ready for more revelations and surprises.

And now you will be ask whether your on Eldrian side (Ymir- the origin of titans) or those on humanity side. Love this one...
Jun 18, 2019 5:18 AM

Sep 2011
I got confused on what happened to Eren and the others.

Jun 18, 2019 5:36 AM

Aug 2015
Danpmss said:

Edit:

"Satiric reference"

Maybe it is not your type of humor, but I just found those claims very funny. There are references of course, but that's just to extend the cruelty and oppression of the situation to the viewer and relate it to something real (make things "relatable@ I would say).

In any case, I am really looking forward for S4, so we can see Marley.
Jun 18, 2019 6:18 AM

Sep 2012
Damn, too much information was thrown in this episode. Luckily, I read the manga before watching this so I understand everything and followed up to what's happening. Felt a bit rushed but WIT studio still did a great job in this one

Tennouji said:

they were held captive because they put up their blades against Levi which is a violation to the law.
Jun 18, 2019 6:36 AM

Jul 2012
Pakumen- said:
Danpmss said:

Edit:

"Satiric reference"

Maybe it is not your type of humor, but I just found those claims very funny. There are references of course, but that's just to extend the cruelty and oppression of the situation to the viewer and relate it to something real (make things "relatable@ I would say).

In any case, I am really looking forward for S4, so we can see Marley.

I'm not too good with sudden jokes, and given that the subject was frequently used as flame bait for a while, I'm sorry if I didn't interpretate the way you intended haha

Anyway, with Marley in the picture, the story really gets more and more amazing, look forward to it!
Jun 18, 2019 7:40 AM

Oct 2015
I'll give the ones who planned the composition of this episode (the script) credit for it being a really hard to compose and twisted episode - but it was kinda bad imo. I don't know why, I just know I tried my very best to understand yet I was constantly pausing confused.

There were lots of things that weren't given a good base to stand on so you don't know what to think of them. Grisha just yelling that this is the truth of what their ancestor Ymir did with no substance to aid that becase that could have also just been lies - them trusting the Owl even though he could have been a liar or a fool - them trusting the royal girl with no evidence - I was so confused and didn't know if they were legit finding truth and the episode was just rushing and not showing the substance to why is that the truth or were they being foolish. I know it makes sense for people who are weakened to grasp tight into anything that tells them they're strong, that's what happened in the birth of Nazi Germany, but the episode didn't depict that at all, so that's necessary if you want people who don't know that already to understand, and also for people like me to know that's what you meant. Also the ones controlling them comitting ethnic hirarcy because of what the weak people's ancestors did which was to commit ethnic hirarcy (which is still kinda ok) but then have it like, the ones controlling them are lying to them about their ancestors committing the crime of ethnic hirarcy in order to commit the crime of ethnic hirarcy on them. wtf.

Also the line of detail telling like that 9 titans were formed, why even? And then that they have 7 of them, so you wonder where are the other 2 and why don't they do anything about that, which gets answered only later when they say the king has warned them. Things that did get answered in the episode but while watching you were like wat even

Basically, I don't dislike this yet because maybe I've yet to understand, but so far my gut feeling that this episode won't be really fun to watch has proven itself to be justified, and the excecution of this episode doesn't seem good to me. It's confusing because it briefs through it so fast that you don't know who to believe, since you don't actually see the characters enough, you just see the events. If that's what they choose to do, then fine, that's not necessarily bad, but it needs to be organized some way so that you get that they're just gonna tell you who was right and who was wrong and you're not supposed to try to tell, you're just supposed to get the events.

Tbh either way just showing events is pretty boring so that would have to be done in some special way I guess.

Bummer but not too much.
Eyal_OgedJun 18, 2019 7:47 AM
Jun 18, 2019 8:06 AM
May 2015
Eyal_Oged said:

There were lots of things that weren't given a good base to stand on so you don't know what to think of them. Grisha just yelling that this is the truth of what their ancestor Ymir did with no substance to aid that becase that could have also just been lies - them trusting the Owl even though he could have been a liar or a fool - them trusting the royal girl with no evidence - I was so confused and didn't know if they were legit finding truth and the episode was just rushing and not showing the substance to why is that the truth or were they being foolish. I know it makes sense for people who are weakened to grasp tight into anything that tells them they're strong, that's what happened in the birth of Nazi Germany, but the episode didn't depict that at all, so that's necessary if you want people who don't know that already to understand, and also for people like me to know that's what you meant.

Not trying to hate here - do you REALLY need to be told that? Is your own judgement not enough? I think it would be weak storytelling if the author went out of his way to say: "they're buying into a propaganda, it's not really true". Like, Grisha is "reading" the book (he even admits himself that he can't decipher most of it) and then there is a voice of the narrator in the background "but it was all lies". That would be horrible storytelling.

I think it's already obvious from what was portrayed, how much more clear can you get.
羽根を焦がす無数の鳥が
灰を散らし安らぎ笑う
誰か散らせ
僕がここに居たという証も
骨はどうせ砂と化して消えるのに
Jun 18, 2019 8:23 AM

Oct 2015
p_g_adi said:
I am a bit confused, but I also don't want to read anything on the Internet just to make sure I won't get spoilered...

Marley has 7 out of 9 titans, which probably leaves Paradise with 2: would it be the Founding Titan and Coordinate Titan? Or are they the same and Kruger was the second one?

We know that Marley came after the Coordinate for sure and now Eren has it. As of what I know now, Frieda most likely had the Coordinate because Rod said that she had the strongest titan and I can't think of something stronger... the World memories + the ability to control everything.

Now here is what I am finding strange and makes me not know what to believe with the knowledge that I have so far: my opinion is that Grisha made a huge mistake when he stole the Founding Titan because he basically made the strongest weapon the Walls had into nothing. Frieda could have simply controlled the titans and save the walls.

Also... why would Marley attack when the Founding Titan was there to defend the Walls? What victory chances did they actually think they have? From what we've seen, it seems that Grisha killed Frieda after the Shiganshina attack happened.

I do understand why he had to kill Frieda and the let's talk it out option was not possible because she could have erased his memories, but why weaken the Walls so much? Was he thinking that he would go search for Dina and let her eat him so that a royal blood would get the power of the Founding Titan?

Another question would be why Rod was to able to get away with the barons from using the Founding Titan and retake wall Maria during those years.

I'll tell you waht I thought of personally.
The king's ideology whatever that was was not to try to fight and break free but to achieve peace within the walls that would be paradise. Paradise with no sea or desert that is, but paradise, peace. That succeeded for 100 years. To take down this ideology, the king had to be killed, as in transferred to someone not from the royal family, who would get the power of the founding titan but not the belief of the king, which is what Grisha did.

Now we see that the king indeed decided to although he has the power to stomp everybody with his power, make a far away peaceful paradise inside walls instead. Who was it that said in attack on titan that wars will not stop until 1 or less people are left on earth? I don't remember, but it was said in AOT. That's probably what the king thought. And he decided to end the fighting, as they said, he decided not to fight. So why did he cage them? Maybe there is nothing to do with the titans that look to eat people, but then he could make them kill each other and all. So I suppose he meant to make humanity an enemy. As long as we have a common enemy, we have a common reason to unite and support each other.

Why did Grisha do that even though the chance to survive is slim? I don't know. Maybe he thought Eren could reach his basement more easily and that went wrong.

Why did Marley go there even though of his warning is the only thing I can't answer, but we weren't told Marley's plan yet so when we hear it we may understand. Obviously they weren't going specifically for the person who has the founding titan's power cause what they did was breach the wall and go away, but from things Reiner said: "Eren... from all the people, you're the last person I'd want to have that power" it sounds like they didn't know where the founding titan was. I always guessed they breached the walls for the founding titan to step up and then they could find it. So maybe they have some kind of protection against it, and maybe they had someone tell them that the power was stolen and they could suppose that someone wouldn't know how to use it yet.
Jun 18, 2019 8:26 AM

Oct 2016
I think one of the problems with discussing this series when it comes to manga spoilers is the fact that some of the reveals that we are given aren't neccessarily explicit and aren't clarified until later.

One example would be that my takeaway from this episode is that only people of Eldian lineage can become Titans. However some people didn't pick up on that and think that it's a manga spoiler to discuss this as a certainty.

Assuming I am correct and only people of Eldian lineage can become Titans that means the 7 Titans who were "stolen" by Marley were actually Eldians who betrayed their own people.

Based on what we know so far it seems like only the 9 Titans are capable of shifting back to human form. Which basically means the vast majority of Eldians don't have any special power. In fact being turned into a "pure" Titan is the last thing most of them would want.

If the Titans were oppressing Marley it's possible a lot of Eldians were unhappy with their rule as well. Seeing as only an elite few ever get to possess the power and the rest are just subjects who can also be controlled and have their memories altered by the Co-ordinate Titan.

Here is a question that I have. The Fritz family are apparently direct descendants of the first Titan Ymir Fritz. OK, but what does direct descendant mean in this context? Either someone is your biological ancestor or they are not.

My working theory is that the Eldians are descendants of the first group of 9 Titans who received their power from Ymir Fritz and that not all of those 9 Titans were children of Ymir. I wouldn't be surprised if only the first Co-ordinate Titan was a child of Ymir and the rest were not related to her - at least by descent, they might have been brothers or sisters.

Here is another question. How do the people of Marley know who is an Eldian and who isn't? As far as I can tell you only need one Eldian parent to inherit the "Titan Genome". Couldn't that mean that there are a bunch of Marley citizens who are Eldian and don't even realise it? They might have had a great-great-grandmother who had an affair with an Eldian and hid the lineage of their child. Over time there could be hundreds, even thousands of unaware Eldians living in Marley.

Maybe the "Titan Genome" can be diluted over multiple generations if only one parent has it. Otherwise I don't know how the hell there wouldn't be hidden Eldians all over the place over time.
Go Beyond, Plus Ultra!
Jun 18, 2019 8:27 AM

Oct 2015
animaniacy said:
Eyal_Oged said:

There were lots of things that weren't given a good base to stand on so you don't know what to think of them. Grisha just yelling that this is the truth of what their ancestor Ymir did with no substance to aid that becase that could have also just been lies - them trusting the Owl even though he could have been a liar or a fool - them trusting the royal girl with no evidence - I was so confused and didn't know if they were legit finding truth and the episode was just rushing and not showing the substance to why is that the truth or were they being foolish. I know it makes sense for people who are weakened to grasp tight into anything that tells them they're strong, that's what happened in the birth of Nazi Germany, but the episode didn't depict that at all, so that's necessary if you want people who don't know that already to understand, and also for people like me to know that's what you meant.

Not trying to hate here - do you REALLY need to be told that? Is your own judgement not enough? I think it would be weak storytelling if the author went out of his way to say: "they're buying into a propaganda, it's not really true". Like, Grisha is "reading" the book (he even admits himself that he can't decipher most of it) and then there is a voice of the narrator in the background "but it was all lies". That would be horrible storytelling.

I think it's already obvious from what was portrayed, how much more clear can you get.

I think that became obvious when he said he couldn't read but the rest of all of that was just snippits of them finding details with no substance. Like, if you want to say they clinged to them with nobody ever saying "wait but how do we know that's true" beause of how weak they felt then you need to depict that they felt weak and possibly depict how that makes one not doubt details as long as they're in his favor, that's all I'm saying

I didn't want a clarification that these were lies, I just mean the episode seemed so crammed and we only saw snppits of events that I didn't know what *was* the base they were given and if there was no base at all that that is even the case. It felt like they possibly just left that out to cram the story telling in and I couldn't tell what was I seeing. I see I didn't clear up that I mean I want to see that they had no base and not that I want to see these were lies, so I get why you misunderstood.
Eyal_OgedJun 18, 2019 8:40 AM
Jun 18, 2019 8:40 AM

Jul 2015
One thing is sure,Kruger looks really badass in the anime like he was in the manga.

His voice fits well.His VA did a good job.

Jun 18, 2019 9:04 AM

Oct 2015
Esquirtit said:
Hmm so what about Ymir, I wonder what her role in the story will be. I don't remember her backstory that well. She wasn't a patriot but victim of some weird ass cult, her punishment was the same though. Funny how she ate one of the warriors by accident

If I remember right she was suddenly praised by a cult and made their queen and she had no idea what that was about but went along. They were caught and thrown into the walls as titans. I suppose she was wrongly assumed to be carrying the soul of Ymir of then or something like that. Maybe she actually has some sort of power like that but maybe she's just a mere girl
Jun 18, 2019 9:10 AM

Oct 2015
Tennouji said:
That was a bait to scare us into thinking something happened to them. They are still in the Survey Corps all well. They're just serving days in prison for going against Levi, their commander, as they did, which is called disobedience.
Jun 18, 2019 9:20 AM

Mar 2018
Eyal_Oged said:
Esquirtit said:
Hmm so what about Ymir, I wonder what her role in the story will be. I don't remember her backstory that well. She wasn't a patriot but victim of some weird ass cult, her punishment was the same though. Funny how she ate one of the warriors by accident

If I remember right she was suddenly praised by a cult and made their queen and she had no idea what that was about but went along. They were caught and thrown into the walls as titans. I suppose she was wrongly assumed to be carrying the soul of Ymir of then or something like that. Maybe she actually has some sort of power like that but maybe she's just a mere girl
Oh now it makes sense she's just a mere girl but the head of some cult named her Ymir to fool his followers, or just to give the Eldians who live in Marley some hope in their sad lives
poop
Jun 18, 2019 9:43 AM

Oct 2015
Ohhh now we know what Annie's dad meant! He said do it for your dad, their families were promised to be treated as Marley people. Maybe that's not all, but what he told her was that nobody will be there for her but her dad so to do it for him (in a very panicked manner, maybe he was in debts or something of the like). That also explains why her way was not to socialize with anyone. To be honest he is quite right that it's likely nobody will actually be there for her when she needs someone. His ways weren't right and she knows being a warrior isn't a right thing but she does choose to go with her dad because he is the only one that will be there for her. She could also rebel in him and have nobody, but that's not what she chose to do. So I don't blame her for it. Poor girl, now I feel really bad for her. Think of going there like that for your dad but being caught by those people and about to be killed. Seeing Levi's squad and everybody dying and caring only about herself makes me feel like she must be a bit psychopathic though lol.

Oh also think of how if there were no volunteers such as Reiner cause everybody were moral the Eldians would probably be punished hard for not cooperating with the Marley's request, so the Eldians preferred to cooperate. On the other hand they were given the info that the walls have the founding titan, they could have joined the walls' side and went against the Marleys. That would sacrifice their families probably, as the scouts would attack before they could secure the warriors' families, but, well, that may be better than being there to destroy a part of your own tribe for the continuation of the control over you, that you do not deserve since it was your grand grandparents who have sinned. I think the warriors did say these people (of the walls) do not deserve to live so I suppose they may have been deeply brainwashed like Grisha's father, and may also believe they deserve the treatment they're recieving. I just wonder how did they come to really believe that that much and hope we will see, cause I don't feel like that's very natural, but who knows. And maybe it is natural.
Jun 18, 2019 9:54 AM

Nov 2014
Very interesting episode. So much info.
The whole scene on the wall was masterpiece. Dina, speech, music and strong finale. Perfection.
Jun 18, 2019 9:54 AM
Aug 2018
_Spectacled_ said:
So, the final episode will only adapt chapter 90? It’s been a while since I read that chapter in the manga but wasn’t it a little too short? I wonder if it’s possible to adapt some parts of chapter 91, like ending the anime with

I suspect next episode will be chapter 89, which is quite dialogue heavy. And will probably include parts of 90. No idea what will be in episode 10 though.
Jun 18, 2019 10:00 AM

May 2018
Akahiro said:
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Could somebody enlighten me about this part, cu'z it was confusing me????

Ask questions buddy

I'm already asking
Jun 18, 2019 10:15 AM

Apr 2019
AbeDaBabe21 said:
_Spectacled_ said:
So, the final episode will only adapt chapter 90? It’s been a while since I read that chapter in the manga but wasn’t it a little too short? I wonder if it’s possible to adapt some parts of chapter 91, like ending the anime with

I suspect next episode will be chapter 89, which is quite dialogue heavy. And will probably include parts of 90. No idea what will be in episode 10 though.

you are forgetting chapter 88
that still needs to adapted in the next episode
Nim0174Jun 18, 2019 10:19 AM
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 18, 2019 12:09 PM

Mar 2015
So this is all just a dream and they didn't even go to the basement.
I love nepgear!! *^*
Jun 18, 2019 12:11 PM
Feb 2019
This episode is definitely my favorite episode of the whole season and the entire SnK SO FAR.

Everything was amazing, the pacing was really good, yes it felt rushed but this is how it was supposed to be, like we're on episode 57 lol we gotta know at least something important.
I don't read the manga, but I think that they did a great job in making all this info into one episode, and it's not like this is too much and they should have just adapt at least a half, because the story is so rich, as I'm sure there's a lot more to it.
We only got a one puzzle.

The voice acting was very very significant! It was PERFECT!!! definitely my best voice acting episode!

The music.... It was magnificent tbh so so so good, all the OSTS played throughout the entire episode was AMAZING! especially in the last scene.

My favorite scene was the last scene, it was hard but everything about it was mesmerizing, for example that disgusting Gross had a good speech imo... I don't know I just liked it lol.
And the whole scene from the writing to the music to Grisha's and his wife and friends words to what Kruger did... All of that was EPIC!!!
I repeated the scene too many times, and I can't get over it.

Absolutely 10000/10, even though the animation was a bit off but the story is the most important thing here.

It's just feels so strange realizing that those Titans in S1 were all Grisha's friends and they wanted to restore Eldia, and ended up eating their own people, the Eldians.. that's insane.
As, we know now for sure that the Titans aren't the enemy! this sounds so different from the previous seasons.

I'm still not sure which history is correct, because of course each side would try to make their history looks as the good one. The question is, why Ymir Fritz did that, if it's true? This is really a big question.

If S4 is all gonna be like this then I'm so ready for it, the story gets a lot lot lot better, I absolutely loving it. Thanks Isayama.
Jun 18, 2019 12:15 PM

Aug 2010
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Akahiro said:

Ask questions buddy

I'm already asking

You aren't. Ask specific questions. Rewatch the episode first tho if you literally didn't understand anything. After that, if there's points you still can't grasp you should be more specific.

EdgySadLoner said:
So this is all just a dream and they didn't even go to the basement.

No.
Jun 18, 2019 12:19 PM
Feb 2019
Modernoir said:
What a fucking masterpiece this anime is. That was so, so fucking good I'm still feeling the adrenaline hot off of finishing the ep. This is truly where SnK becomes an all-time classic. All the reveals, all the answers, fuck, everything was done so perfectly. They've absolutely nailed Marley in the anime, everything from the god-tier OST to that part right at the beginning with the logo, it felt like the show had truly exited the prologue. Bravo WIT, what a legendary season.

There is no greater joy than sticking with this show from the start, enduring the years of wait it took to get this far and enduring the amount of times people've called this series overrated just to get to these past 2 episodes. I'm so happy to see how many people are now able to appreciate what a fantastic job this series has done with its world-building and solid writing. There really isn't any other series out there like this.

I agree completely, I can't really find a show with such a solid and well-written story like this.
Despite all the foreshadowing, the story still blows my mind in an absolutely incredible way.
It has so so many layers, like how you able to write a story like this unless you're a genius?
Jun 18, 2019 2:07 PM
Jun 2019
It was a great episode. Nevertheless, I couldn't understand the part where they turn the Criminals into titans. By doing this, aren't they just empowering them??
Jun 18, 2019 2:08 PM

Aug 2013
This is too good for my filthy eyes
Jun 18, 2019 2:12 PM

Apr 2008
Even though they packed all the backstory into just one ep, I think it was alright.
You non manga reads understood it I guess.
It felt like it could've been two episodes while I read it in the manga though.

The dogs eating the sister scene was more horric in the manga.
That scene was one of the parts that was teased in the preview thing after the creidts of the last episode of part |.

Jun 18, 2019 2:21 PM

Aug 2012
haunted said:
Now I’m remembering one of the few, jarring times SNK has made a concrete reference to our world: Sawney and Bean.

These people have no history or memory of anything outside of the walls or predating their seclusion, and they don’t live in our world(/on our planet?) anyway, so how did she hear the legend of a cannibalistic serial killer from 16th century Scotland??

Has this been addressed or explained at some point in the manga (I don’t want to know the answer, just if there is one)? Isayama could have thrown those in for fun, yeah, but at this point I’d be surprised if any detail didn’t mean something.

its an easter egg.
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by ABUCCHIA »»
Jun 1, 8:26 AM

» Question for the attack on titan fans

Mooogle - May 11

25 by Angel_crush1 »»
May 14, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

736 by wibugar »»
May 9, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by GengarGrinn »»
Apr 26, 6:15 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

801 by jebras »»
Apr 23, 10:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.