Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 30, 2010 7:23 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
lolwut ending....

A lot of things seems to be going on... Although some parts lack coherence, the overall enthralling setting and artwork made up for it.

9/10 simply because I like it.

Although I agree it went downhill and couldn't achieve a 10/10....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Mar 22, 2010 10:14 PM
Feb 2008
Eh yeah

Someone was watching too much Evangelion when they made this

I think the whole point of this was that Kaiba was lonely. That's why he engulfed all the memories of the world, that's why he had the hole in his chest, that's why the earlier episodes showed all those different people and the dealings of their lives and ultimately that's why he felt the way he did about his mother because he felt alone due to her "betrayal"

I don't know why she gave him poison. Nerio said because she loved him and didn't want to be a political tool...so I'm guessing it was sort of a way to fake his death and some such. She was caught and turned into Hal and still looked after him (but what about the clones?) And if Kaiba was made normally why did they have to clone him? Why not have more children?

Then the whole over throwing of memories at the giant Kaiba palnt to over load it I'm guessing is not just a means to wrap up the plot but symbolism to show Kaiba didn't need other peoples memories to make him happy he was already "complete" with Neiro and the truth of his mother hence lack of hole in his chest at the end.

So Kaiba was lonely and even with the ability to change bodies and switch out memories that doesn't change the fact that people are the sum of their experiences and with them messing or altered we might be very different people. Obviously this was exaggerated for dramatic event but there is some truth in it.

Either way the last two episodes were lolwut compared to the rest of the series. 8 out of 10.
Jul 15, 2010 10:35 AM

Oct 2008
The plot is very original and has a lot of potential but I think the staging was bored and mediocre. I didn't like the art and the animation too. It could have been a great show, but I really didn't enjoyed it.

6/10
Jul 19, 2010 9:05 AM

Nov 2009
Oh, what a crap ending. Crap crap crap. How can they mess up so bad? The first 6 or so episodes were masterpiece worthy. Did they really need this shitty confusing cliché of an ending? I guess it's my fault for setting my expectations too high. Damn, it was so good, while it lasted. I'm seriously disappointed.
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Jul 19, 2010 9:17 AM

Nov 2008
teanut said:
Oh, what a crap ending. Crap crap crap. How can they mess up so bad? The first 6 or so episodes were masterpiece worthy. Did they really need this shitty confusing cliché of an ending? I guess it's my fault for setting my expectations too high. Damn, it was so good, while it lasted. I'm seriously disappointed.
Yeah, this is the first anime I downloaded, and it STILL has one of the worst endings I have ever seen and is one of the main reasons I say that Madhouse don't have clue about finishing off anime.

The other main reason is Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo, but at least that was somewhat justified due to demographic requirements (depressing endings aren't family-friendly). Also, Akagi, just Akagi. That had a horrible, horrible cliffhanger ending.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Aug 18, 2010 9:34 PM

May 2010
Lol, this ending had to be the only cliche where people say "OMG, this was so cliché, and confusing!" Thank you evangelion, for creating this anomaly, where people can legitimately complain "this mindfuck is the same as all those other mindfucks since instrumentality project!"

Since instrumentality is my favorite cliché, I have to get some enjoyment out of it whenever it shows up, but at the same time I wish Kaiba had done something truly original with the ending. It was a marvelous ending, don't get me wrong, but once you get past all the twists and turns, it's yet another "I was lonely so I wanted to unite all of our minds" message, with the optional cure of love/friendship (this anime being one that took the optional cure).

Oh well, still mad respect. I loved this series so much.
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 6, 2010 10:29 AM

Jan 2010
to be honest i didn't understand the last episode very much hehe :),i think i have to rewatch it...

i don't know i want to give this a 10 but i'm not sure i can...it's like a 9.4 lol
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 7, 2010 1:38 AM

Aug 2009
A few questions:

Why was Warp running around with no memories in the first place?

What is the hole in his heart and why did it become bigger?

The Warp that changed a series of bodies and ran away with the sheriff. What happened? Did he die in the crash? and how did he change back to his old body?
Dec 7, 2010 1:57 AM

Dec 2007
I'm pretty sure your first question is answered in one of the prior episodes. Episode 10 if I remember right, which shows what had happened before episode 1. Warp had no memories I think because he fell from the rich higher class into the lower class and the cloud made him forget his memories (remember in the first ep that people were building the balloon to get to the top and Popo remarks that they've already been there several times? Yeah, that's the result of the memory eating cloud thing)

I can't recall enough to answer the second question.

As far as the third, if I remember right Vanilla put Warp/Chroniko in a body that he had stored away to use for either himself. Warp/Chroniko then takes that form. Can't remember how he got his old body back. I want to say it was that scientist guy, but I don't remember. I think Hyohyo/Neiro helped in some way?
Mar 2, 2011 9:36 AM

Aug 2009
I dunno why it occurred to me only after I finished the series, but I find it somewhat reminiscent of The Little Prince, which is another plus.
Concerning this particular episode, I can't say I enjoyed it as much as the rest of the anime. I guess it's because I'm simply not fond of the ending, with everyone being safe and sound, reuniting and stuff. It reminded me of Mai-Hime 'reset' ending which I didn't like, to say the least. Furthermore, the last couple of episodes were a bit rushed IMO. Notwithstanding these little blemishes, Kaiba is a great anime and I honestly enjoyed most of it. As for the score I'm vacillating between 8 and 9 which is, having in mind my reluctance towards giving high scores a superb achievement for an anime.

On a side note, I believe the theological term for what Kaiba did when he released his memories would be kenosis.
Aug 13, 2011 12:03 PM

May 2010
Phantasmagoria.

10/10
Nov 9, 2011 4:37 PM
Nov 2011
There are a few loose ends in here that I'd like to discuss.

The royal family is only mentioned in flashbacks, so we know very little about them. For some reason, none of them are still around. Did they all brutally murder each other somehow, such that nobody survived? Did they die of old age? Can they die of old age? Are they supposed to be immortal? I guess not.

What ever happened to the guy who turned Kaiba's mother into an animal? You know, that wizard lookin dude. He only appears in the show for like five seconds.

Apparently only Kaiba has an immortal body, but how did he get that? Lucky genes? And what's the significance of the Meiri (Mary?) stamp that Mantle has, with the three rings on it? I assume it's a royal seal or something. Mantle mentions that Kaiba was born with his but Fake Warp clearly drew his on and it is easily removed, so perhaps neither of them actually used this thing?

If warp has an immortal body, why does he need successors? They refer to Kaiba as the original Warp, and the only real Warp. I guess he wasn't much like his parents. Are all the clones attempts to duplicate Kaiba? Was the computer's "next successor" the only other successful Warp clone?

Both the successor and Kaiba refer to themselves as the same person, with the same mother, even though the successor was obviously cloned from him and with memories implanted. But Kaiba has the hole, so it seems likely that he was born naturally and not a clone. So that leads me to believe that this successor was the only successful successor, and that the computer had been working at this for some time. Then again, the successor opens up a hole in himself as well, so perhaps the hole isn't because of the physical affects of the poison but actually the emotional pain of being hurt by his mother, which they both share because they have the same memories. In that case there could have been previous proper warp clones, and the events with the royal family could have been many generations ago to the point where this warp has never met his parents. It is interesting when the successor pushes the hole very wide as he talks about the worries of the world stretching him thin or something like that.

Who is the computer? The computer is always taking care of the warp clones, and it seems to have even more authority than anyone. When Kaiba, ruler of the universe, brings guests into the palace, he has to hide from the scanners and go to a private room just to stop the security robots from trying to kill her. Why are the warps slaves to the palace computer? Perhaps it was set up by their predecessors and Kaiba never bothered to mess with it?

Also what the fuck was up with that purple creature that busts out of the wall to deliver the next successor? That was really weird. At first I thought the warp successor was actually the voice from the computer all along, or something. You don't really see the computer after this scene anyway. But I don't think that's right, because it did clearly mention it was working on a warp successor.

Why did warp leave his throne and float around and crash into Neiro's house? At this time there was a substitute warp on the throne, but keep in mind that this time was not the time when Fake Warp threw Kaiba and Neiro down the garbage disposal, because this is before he had even met her. However, in this episode he seems to have a very clear mind. He's attentive to everything around him, and not all weighed down by the world like he becomes when he gets back all of his memories. So what happened? Some kind of accident where he fell through the clouds? Perhaps the result of the political battles that were alluded to? Is this what happened to him after his mother tried to get rid of him? It would be really nice if the show was more clear on this aspect of the story. If they added an episode to properly play out the "political battles" it could make a lot more sense. This would have fit in at the beginning of the 10th episode, but it wasn't there.

How did Neiro's parents actually die? Kaiba tells her that her father tried to come see her even though he was sick, and his mother would write her letters. Were these memories totally erased, with brutal killings put in their place? What happened to her mother?

I'm also pretty curious about the woman in the blue cloak. I think she was Kichi's mother. I thought it was really strange when, after mantle shoots her, he exclaims that she put her organs into a doll's body. When was this character ever developed? How is this fact significant? It's kind of striking when you suddenly see what's under that cloak after wondering for so long, but this bit took me by surprise because everything else in the show seems rather well tied together, but not this. Did Kichi make this body for her? He was a pretty cool guy, so I could imagine him doing something like this for his mother.
Nov 12, 2011 10:34 AM

May 2010
Okay. I've read all of the posts and no one totally explained everything. So that would mean it's really hard to decipher this ep in words.

I'm really interested to know what are they trying to say in this ep despite how confusing it was.

Anyway, I'll read some articles later to fully understand the episode.

Overall, this show has a brilliant concept and setting that leaves off philosophical implications, an art & animation that's full of creativity and artistry , mostly strong cast of characters , beautiful soundtracks , and great execution.

The first 7 eps were simply outstanding but when it came back to its main plot, it kinda went downhill.

This gets a 9/10 for me.

Masaki Yuasa, you deserve my praise. :)
Nov 13, 2011 4:17 PM

Mar 2009
Ok, so she gave him poison to avoid a political battle? How did that work? Those endings man...
Dec 6, 2011 3:24 PM
Apr 2011
disappointing ending, but it was pretty much expected after the last few episodes, ESPECIALLY 11. oh well, that's life, right? nothing's ever perfect.
Jul 4, 2012 4:39 PM
May 2009
Kaiba was... alright. Everything was so weird and alien that I had a hard time immersing myself and sympathizing with any of the characters. Plus it wasn't really that deep or complex, the story was rather standard for this type of show.

6/10

But I liked the ending. Not everything needs a 5 minute closure
ramsetJul 8, 2012 11:00 PM
Aug 4, 2012 2:57 PM

Sep 2008
A very good ending to a great series. I have to admit that I hoped it would end in a less positive way. Even though, the show was a must-see, I give it a 9/10 because some episodes were masterpieces while others were just good.
Oct 9, 2012 12:38 PM
Sep 2009
One could split this series into two parts, "journey" and "explaining the secret".

I liked the first 7 episodes of this series very much (the "journey" part), but then the series lost much of it's depth with last episode being very hard to follow, with rather rushed ending, many strange resolutions and with them adding extra characters who are being made to be significant, like that cloaked whatever-her-name lady who has organs inside a doll and her brother?

Honestly I hoped for something better than simplistic resolution with some plant barely mentioned earlier.

Episodes 8-12 were shallow compared to first 7, getting shallower the closer they get to the end.

Nevertheless I think that ep. 3 was one of best in all anime (... I watched :P ). I also liked ep. 7 much, which also brings at least some words to the melody we hear sometimes during anime - It's called "The Tree Song", I suggest to listen/read it's lyrics since it's important to story and may shed some light on the ending (you can do it in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ammbdMsHnU for example, or just google the title and and Kaiba word).

In the end I think "Journey" part of this anime deserves a 10, and rest is rather average-ish - around 5-7 in my opinion (getting worse the closer it is to ending).
Overally 8, maybe 9; I haven't decided yet.

I'll suggest once more to hear the song from ep.7 I mentioned earlier, it's much better than rest of music from anime, enough to deserve this special paragraph. :P
IlxussOct 9, 2012 12:42 PM
Oct 31, 2012 1:32 PM

Mar 2008
Am I the only one who found the plot incredibly confusing? Like parts of the story where spread around everywhere and the constant lack of a "red thread".
Dec 5, 2012 3:13 AM

Dec 2009
Well, I just marathoned all 12 episodes. I'm very glad I stuck with it after being initially put off by the animation style. Very awesome music, amazingly creative sci fi universe that felt so alive. The last few episodes definitely seemed to skip ahead, missing some plot details and the ending was a little disappointing. But despite the plot holes, I really enjoyed this anime overall. It was so different and vibrant compared to so many of the standard animes spewed out yearly.
Feb 25, 2013 8:42 AM
Sep 2011
When began watching this, I felt that I was at wrong when I gave Tatami Galaxy a 10, because this would be Maasaki's masterpiece. However, in the end it was proved Tatami was superior because of it's exceptional , or expressed in a better way, flawless directing. This had such an ambitious start, infuenced somehow by Little Prince's creativity and originality, but it somehow ended in a less desirable way. I think that the ending was very good, but I also would prefer a more depressing ending for such a cruel world. But, in the end the catharsis will come, so I have no complaints and regrets for marathon-ing this show. Exceptional show, which sadly fullfilled a 90% of the potential it had to offer, thus giving it a 9/10 and in my top 5.
Mar 2, 2013 10:24 PM

Nov 2011
Pretty cool soundtrack for this finale imo.

Mom made poison for her huh? Damn. An insightful ending to this series as well. 7/10 overall. Just wish the animation was a little better, even for Madhouse standards.
Apr 7, 2013 4:49 PM

Dec 2011
I'm really kind of torn here... The first 9 episodes were 10/10 for me, the 10th episode was 9/9, and the last 2 episodes are maybe a 7/10 at best. So basically most of the anime was flawless and a masterpiece in my opinion it's just that the ending really didn't fit the series. I feel like they produced this wild out of control creation just exploding with imagination, from the art, to the soundtrack, to the setting, to the characters and mysterious plot it was all amazing. But... once it was time to present the finale they didn't really know where to go with it.

I think I'll still rate it 10/10 and just kind of not consider the ending because when I think of Kaiba I want to think of the first 9 absolutely flawless episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2013 9:44 PM

Jan 2013
9/10
Would have been a 10 if this anime didn't try to bring up so much towards the ending.
It gets too complicated and it's hard to take in everything.
May 31, 2013 2:40 PM

May 2012
Weird approach for this ending, it made me a bit confused and unpleased as I expected something more, but actually it was quite nice and in general this anime was quite unique and had a really interesting art style that reminded me to Astro Boy!

The story development plus the character development was actually quite great, especially towards the end with the backstory it all made more sense! So well it sure was a great watch but on some occasions it lacked some interest! 7/10
Jun 24, 2013 11:15 AM
Jan 2009
To people complaining about plot holes and the main plot coming in way too suddenly:
REWATCH IT.

Seriously, there's A LOT of foreshadowing, even in the first episode.
Jul 21, 2013 6:51 PM

Apr 2012
Consistent writing pls. Don't go for a character-centric Gainax ending if the first half revolves more thematically on the storytelling itself and not much on the characters. Ham-fisted plot twists like the mother turning to love Warp all along is just.. ugh. You had such a good beginning Kaiba. :\\\\
Nov 30, 2013 9:02 PM

Jan 2013
I agree with Nil, I also thought the anime's atmosphere pretty much disappeared in the second half, a little disappointing for me overall. Meh, I'll still give it a generous 7 for the setting, concepts, visuals, soundtrack and the first half of the anime's execution.
Romario3210Nov 30, 2013 9:12 PM
Mar 4, 2014 4:55 AM

Jul 2012
The ending was a bit...confusing and somehow not that satisfying. I guess I just expected a bit more.

But this was still a very good series and had some beautifully touching moments. I really enjoyed exploring the world of Kaiba and the ideas and mysteries it put forth.
Also, the bgm was simply amazing <3

If only this wasn't so short. i felt the series would've benefited from a couple more episodes.
Mar 16, 2014 8:40 AM

Oct 2010
I love the earlier episode compare to the latter ep....and i wish hyou hyou be with kaiba..since compare to neiro,hyou hyou has the whole memory of neiro after her memory was modified.Hyou hyou go thru more hardship together with kaiba.Neiru entry at later ep feel like a bit rushing for me..

and someone mind to share what happen in the end?

by the way,is it just me that feel that kaina's ostrich mum is cool when she is saving kaiba,those action~~
Signature Removed
Jul 4, 2014 9:06 PM

Jul 2012
Kaiba really toyed with my emotions.

It spent 7 episodes building up an interesting and nuanced world, and introducing original characters with unique, compelling storylines. In doing so, Kaiba created an awesome universe, and explored a lot of thought-provoking possibilities within it. This, to me, was the heart and soul of the show, and one that felt wholehearted and genuine in almost every aspect. At this point in Kaiba, I was in love with it.

In episodes 8-12, it started to feel far less original, and more like an ending for the sake of an ending; it was as if someone in a board meeting said "alright guys, fun's over, we've gotta wrap this up". The characters became bland, the dialogue felt less genuine, and the storyline became not only contrived, but convoluted. While I was able to tolerate episode 9, as it was necessary in making sense of the romance and admittedly charming, the other four were mediocre and unimpressive. It's like someone inserted memories from Michael Bay into the production staff after Vanilla's death.
Jul 24, 2014 7:01 PM

Dec 2013
I was not expecting a happy ending. The ostrich being Warps mother was a cool twist and explained how it was so protective of him. Good show but the ending was kinda weak.

Dont understand how people had trouble understanding the story or claim that it was 'too fast'. Its not exactly complicated once everything gets explained in the last few episodes.
sayonara_sekaiJul 24, 2014 11:00 PM
Aug 12, 2014 1:43 PM

Nov 2013
I got mixed feelings about this series. I agree with people that say the second half was more poor than the first, although I mostly feel like that about the last 3-4 episodes only.

Interesting concept surely. I actually expected more romance than plot or the human concepts that the writers tried to make us think about; which is not really what I wanted. Good show nonetheless.

The ending really bugged me though. All of it; things weren't explained clearly and some concepts made no sense. If Kaiba was immortal and Popo knew it why did he continue to try to kill him instead of using some other tactic to get rid of him. Speaking of Popo... You ever heard of backup, bro? I'd say having all of your mother's memories who you want to bring back in a little chip might make you consider to backup the data... Dumbass. This takes me to the point how inconsistent some characters' personalities are (I wouldn't call this development or at the very least a "good one" at that).

How come Neiro's copy, the one which was inside the flying small robot fell in love with the guy who only appeared in the last episode, while the original continued to pursue Kaiba? Is it because that guy told her he loved her all this time? Kinda poor attempt at romance there.

Why do people transfer their data/memories into bodies of humans, when it's obvious they could put them into anything like a stuffed doll or robot. Why not put it into something with a lot of power like a giant robot or something with wings? Or at the very least make bodies with wings, wouldn't flying make life easier to travel? Even if bodies are expensive, pretty much no one did this.

There was a lot of focus on romance throughout the show but the last episode just concentrated on some abstract concept that made little sense (unless I'm missing the bigger picture and all they wanted to do was to make Warp realise his mother loved him - pretty much annihilating the whole concept of this show being "deep").

And then unanswered questions. What happens to the world now since it seemed to collapse in on itself? What about the universe; is Kaiba still the king of it? Is there need for a king any more? What will happen to the memory transfer system? What of its rebels? What about the conclusion for the main characters (i.e. their relationship)?

Yeah, no. I definitely agree with the people who say this was rushed.
HandsomeManAug 12, 2014 3:41 PM
Oct 1, 2014 7:01 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I have many questions as well...but most of them were already asked and seemed unanswered. Although the last episode felt confusing, it was still good from what I understood happened. A lot of things happened, and the last two episodes felt really fast compared to the earlier ones. I still enjoyed it though. So much creativity and imagination in this series, it was fun and had a few touching moments (Chroniko's story comes to mind), and a really interesting concept and idea of a world where memory transfer exists.
Oct 24, 2014 7:18 AM

Jan 2014
Kind of a letdown.

The show slowly went downhill after Vanilla's death, adopting a tone and style that clashed with what I liked about it to begin with. It became increasingly hard to see a story through this dense jumble of flashbacks and characters inhabiting multiple bodies and multiple characters inhabiting identical bodies and so on and so forth. By the end I just didn't care.

It worked much better as a series of thematically linked "planet of the week" episodes. I wish the show had maintained that elegant simplicity and melancholic vibe all the way through. Ah well.

7/10
Oct 31, 2014 12:21 AM

Jul 2008
So Kaiba was fighting Warp/himself? Yeah I can't be the only one confused by the endgame here.

The first half was a ten but it seemed to fall off the rails once Vanilla died. I'll drop it to an 8 simply because the art and OST were simply outstanding.
Nov 2, 2014 3:01 AM

Dec 2013
The first 8 episodes were brilliant, then it completely deteriorated. One of the biggest letdowns I've ever seen. But there was so much greatness in those 8, I still love this series.
Dec 12, 2014 10:49 PM

Jan 2013
Gymkata said:
The first 8 episodes were brilliant, then it completely deteriorated. One of the biggest letdowns I've ever seen. But there was so much greatness in those 8, I still love this series.

Yeah the direction went to a different direction in the final episodes. Also the ending was kinda rushed, which made the impact of the love story pretty less tbh.
Still, the first half was amazing and overall its still a wonderful series.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 13, 2014 2:57 PM
Nov 2013
LOL, don't even know what do you guys are babbling about. The ending wasn't awesome, but completely deteriorated? Really, from all the endings I've seen in anime, not much but, this is not nearly close to the real letdowns. It's just a more ordinary ending than the concept of the series. But I found the idea of human unification in the end pretty good, and it was very nice to see that great political commentary of the dystopia, and the sense of closure for this awesome journey to find his inner self. The only thing I could complain about is how rushed the ending was, but the final itself was pretty much the point of the whole series, they just tied the things together.
blankflatDec 13, 2014 3:04 PM
Jan 13, 2015 12:27 PM

Jul 2012
*insert clapping gif*

I'm debating between a 7 and 8 because it was a rough ride in the beginning until they pulled out the backstory card. After that, I was just HOOKED.

The style and directing are wonderful. I love the art style, although I admit it took a while to get used to the cartoon character designs.

What should be my next Yuasa thing? Tatami or Kemono? Hmm, decisions!
Jan 14, 2015 10:50 AM

Jul 2012
norsci said:
mayukachan said:
What should be my next Yuasa thing? Tatami or Kemono? Hmm, decisions!

Have you watched Ping Pong: The Animation yet?

That's my favourite Yuasa work :D
Jan 14, 2015 10:57 AM

Aug 2014
Tatami is easier to recommend. Kemonozume has a polarizing latter half. I liked both equally, for completely different reasons. TG for something fun and possibly contemplative. KZ for best love story after Twilight.
Sieg Zeon!
Feb 6, 2015 12:27 PM
Jan 2012
Amazing
Feb 11, 2015 12:33 AM

Oct 2013
As someone who really appreciates cyberpunk and dystopian anime this was fantastic. Albeit not quite cyberpunk, it really portrays the dystopian aspect masterfully whilst also taking on a different perspective, which is why I'd consider this a cut above the rest.

True feeling and empathy, something that is generally lacking in these genres (which, I'm not saying is necessarily a flaw) and this really did a good job of taking the futuristic technology and placing it in a human context.

A very enjoyable ride of mixed emotions and a fantastic take on dystopian romance.

Was it rushed and jumps over some pretty big gaps? Yeah, probably, but I still wholeheartedly enjoyed the series.

Also really appreciated "The Tree Song" which had fantastic symbolism and really talks about what the series is about.
Feb 17, 2015 12:51 PM

Jun 2013
how the fuck did all the characters come back to life?

good last episode for a damn good series. it definitely had some unique qualities and some great scifi elements. glad i randomly came across this anime.
Mar 1, 2015 1:12 PM

Feb 2013
Rudes said:
Kind of a letdown.

The show slowly went downhill after Vanilla's death, adopting a tone and style that clashed with what I liked about it to begin with. It became increasingly hard to see a story through this dense jumble of flashbacks and characters inhabiting multiple bodies and multiple characters inhabiting identical bodies and so on and so forth. By the end I just didn't care.

It worked much better as a series of thematically linked "planet of the week" episodes. I wish the show had maintained that elegant simplicity and melancholic vibe all the way through. Ah well.

7/10

This sums up how I feel about it. The first half of the show was really good and the second half was just boring.
Apr 29, 2015 12:43 PM

Feb 2013
I'm kind of debating myself between a 7 and 8. I have a lot to say but I will try to resume.

From Masaaki works, in my opinion this is the one that starts with more established bases, and gets to transmit much more than its previous anime shows. I didn't found not even a single cliche on this.

The structure of the episodes at the beginning is a bit odd and not until the third episode it's when I realized the essence of the series. There are scenes that clearly convey feelings and are pretty thought-provoking.

As usual in Yuasa, it's very difficult to spin all the scenes as there are cuts in time and very abstract scenes that are open to interpretation. Nevertheless, I met a beautiful story of love, futuristic and innovative, with a very unusual drawing, but very worth the time. The show's classic style is also surprisingly fitting and a sign of the effort that has gone into the show's production.

There was a few flaws that I couldn't bring myself to ignore, regarding the main leads and the general layout of the narrative. That's why I'm not giving this a higher score. But this was definitely one of the most enjoyable and 'different' anime experiences I have had this year.

May 5, 2015 6:32 AM

Dec 2013
Ehh. The first half of the show was great with its episodic, short stories but then came the second, 'story-driven' half. It was generic, uninspired good vs evil. Lots of things were unexplained like why Warp was the chosen one, with that special power.
It tried to bite too much, picking up various motives but in the end it focused only on one.
+ for the characteristic OST and art. 5/10
AizixMay 5, 2015 6:41 AM
May 20, 2015 4:11 PM

Nov 2014
A lot of great ideas, but its structure, execution, and style were way too postmodern for my liking.

6/10
May 22, 2015 7:27 PM

Jan 2014
I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who didn't fully understand what was happening at the end. I think Warp defeated Dark Warp in final battle with an overthrow of a Human Instrumentality Project thrown in. Overall, a top 10 anime with some wonderful haunting moments and a great soundtrack.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 7, 2008

65 by hitoki27 »»
Jun 1, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

freedo- - Jul 4, 2008

65 by hitoki27 »»
May 30, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 8 Discussion

cyruz - Jun 22, 2008

49 by hitoki27 »»
May 30, 6:24 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 2, 2008

79 by hitoki27 »»
May 29, 11:40 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 2, 2008

115 by hitoki27 »»
May 13, 9:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.