Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2016 12:20 PM

Nov 2015
Very fast pacing, they adapt all the first novel in one episode!!, weird characters, those oppais are ridiculously bigs , now I'm afraid of future ";" adaptations.

The only thing that i can remember is OP and ED, I liked so much, Ito Kanako is love.

Well I'll try to follow it, but if the show still like the first episode i'm out.
Oct 8, 2016 12:20 PM

Sep 2011
Holy shit this is bad. Not to mention you get a sign (typesetting) every other fucking second. The sign's typing meshes with the dialogue and it's so hard to follow what the fuck is even going on. This show, literally, can only be handled if it was by a fansubber doing the shit properly.

Don't even get me started with the cringe worthy characters, the shitty dialogue, and going all over the place.

Fuck. 4/10 so far.
Oct 8, 2016 12:23 PM

Apr 2009
I absolutely love the over-the-top characters, ridiculous pacing, and inscrutable dialogue. It's up to one's preferences, and I'm sure a lot of people will find this episode annoying or plain preposterous, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Gotta go fast and stay hyper.
yuiyuigahama said:
i thought the pace was great honestly

Wasn't it? It was super intense, but not inconsistent. The pacing was rock steady and commendably executed. Rapid, but not all over the place, which is a huge asset in and of itself.

Oct 8, 2016 12:26 PM

Mar 2013
I thought it would be better than this. I hope all other episodes are not this fast, hard to keep up.
And many times in the episode I didn't know if I needed to read the subtitle at the top or at the bottom.
Oct 8, 2016 12:27 PM

Apr 2016
The MC girl is terrible in all respects (body, behavior, intelligence). Almost all dialogues are extremely fast... (pacing is, in my opinion, one of the most important features of an anime and i didn't like it in this show).

I am very disappointed by the creators of Steins;gate. It is hard to find something positive.
I like the ED and the secret of the fortune-teller or the "curse" (at least this is interesting / exciting).
Oct 8, 2016 12:28 PM

May 2009
the problem with fast paced anime is that over-the-top characters get even more annoying.

underwhelming episode. i don't have a problem with the pacing but i didn't really like anyone except for miyuu, aria and the café owner. lol
Oct 8, 2016 12:29 PM

Feb 2016
Woah that was something. Good animation? In an A-1 show? I'm gonna go ahead and hope that they keep the animation up like they did in Working seasons 2 and 3.
Oct 8, 2016 12:29 PM

Mar 2014
galimx said:
Why should I care if its fast paced on purpose? The episode was NOT ENGAGING at all. The obnoxious characters dont help either. I dont say this often, but this was pure garbage.

when you experience a work of fiction, whether it be literature or movie, it is important to examine the author's style. often times they will vary their delivery of information through a variety of methods including juxtaposition of several events at once (brave new world, aldous huxley) or rapid-paced exposition (in this case, occultic;nine). you can interpret this as a way of intentionally trying to distract you in order to ensure that you miss cleverly-hidden plot elements through the introduction of something like "red herrings" since it is, after all, a mystery show. the obnoxious characters are obnoxious because their line delivery was so rushed obviously. it hyperbolizes their personas and from my point of view makes them more enjoyable than a dull character. give it some more time okay? try to remain levelheaded because it is only the first episode.
Oct 8, 2016 12:31 PM

Sep 2014
I like the style and production, but holy shit I'm confused. Everything went by way too fast. If every episode is paced like this I'll be pretty disappointed.
Oct 8, 2016 12:34 PM

Apr 2015
Alright this is surely confusing for many people and the fast paced series composition doesn't exactly make it easier.

What I got from this episode is the following.

Yuta ( Yuji Kaji VA ) is a second year highschool student who makes some revenue by leading a news website that picks these news apart often from a critical standpoint. Lately the news about the supernatural have increased a lot so he opened a blog that focus on a certain Occult. He is pretty much a realist who has no belief in the supernatural. He is accompanied by Ryoka ( The busty girl ) who pretty much doesn't care about the content but rather about the money she gets from it.

We then jump into this live TV discussion. This is where Hashigami appears for the first time. He's important since he is pretty much the center of the rest of the episode. Apparently he is the only Japanese member of the SPR ( Society of Psychical Research ). We see other prominent people such as leading scientists and even a pop idol. Overall this discussion is part of a show called the "Occultic Science Lab". What I see is that Hashigami demands that the supernatural gets acknowledged by science and not ignored as it has been so far. In short he says that ghosts and other supernatural phenomena do in fact exist. Other scientists claim that the advance of technology and science has proven supernatural phenomena to not exist.

So to sum it up. What I see here is people with completely different beliefs and definitions of what can be considered real and surreal.

Next we see this guy with the glasses and umbrella named "Sarai" who is the son of the professor Hashigami and he clearly seems upset either about his father defending his standpoint like that or the other scientists being so naive about this whole matter, we don't know that yet. He strikes me more of a person who has a completely different belief than his father. I do believe that because we see that his son visited his father's lecture of "Science and Engineering" which is far from the supernatural aspect.

It also then that his father's death is foreshadowed when Ririka talks about getting eaten by a demon. She seems like someone affiliated with the supernaturalism. I can totally see her selling some "magic stones" lol.

Next we see Touko ( Girl with the glasses ) who seems to work in a research or news office which in itself works for SPR or so I assume. There we get more hints that something is up with Professor Hashigami as an unusual old woman opens the door.

After that we meet Arai who seems like a full blown occultist. She offers to get people cursed which is definitely not normal...The woman who wants to curse a man has black hair and as we see later on Hashigami's corpse was missing majority of his hair. So we can be pretty sure that this woman cursed Hashigami and it was some sort of ghost or demon who "ate" him just how Ririka said it. This suspicion becomes even stronger when Arai finds part of his scalp in the letter box with the address of the devil "666" I assume.

Next we meet Aikawa for whom Yuta and Ryoka were looking for. She seems to be some sort of fortune teller and able to communicate with the ghosts. I guess Yuta wants to get her into the boat for some news or input on what his bogus and what is actually true. So in the end it's all about more money for him.

There is a short scene where we see a character named "Shun" who appears as some sort of detective to me. He might already know what is up with Hashigami as he looked very intrigued at the arrival of Hashigami's son.

Within the dialogue between Yuta Aikawa and Ryoka they find the website of the cultist ( I assume that for now ) Arai who offers to curse people. Of course he wants to get in on that story. He ends up going to Hashigami's office for an interview but finds him dead.

There is a sequence of fast paced scenes. There are many interesting scenes. Like we see a bloody knife which raises the question if it was really something supernatural or if we really deal here with an actual murderer. Then we swap to a spiritualist who was present in the Tv discussion and see how she performs an exorcism. This might mean that Hashigami got possessed why a spirit or demon and cut his own scalp off or that someone got possessed and did this to him. This is supported or debunked by Ririka's words "There is no way demon's exists" depending on if that is meant in a literal or sarcastic way. Then we see Sarai watching one of the videos or even a livestream of how Aikawa tells someone ( probably him ) to listen to his father's stories.

And at last we see Hashigami's corpse. It's a very brief image but if you pause you can see that he wrote the word "CODE" with his own blood. Now tight can mean a lot of different things. Personally I think this might be connected to the "address of the devil" that Arai mentioned earlier.

Now what to expect from this series. Personally I think it will be very interesting. We were introduced to characters who have a variety of beliefs regarding supernaturalism and reality. Like imagine taking a scientist, a realist, a cultist, a spiritualist and a detective and putting them into a ghost movie. This could very well lead to an interesting clash of beliefs.
Oct 8, 2016 12:35 PM

Mar 2014
galimx said:

What you said doesnt matter at all, because the episode was not enjoyable for many obvious reasons. And no, I already dropped it. Wont bother with this anymore. I rather watch something that I actually enjoy.

"im stubborn and wont listen to what anyone has to say"
Oct 8, 2016 12:38 PM

Feb 2015
Struggled to keep up with the dialogue, but definitely an interesting start. They like to shove in as much information and dialogue as possible it seems. The fortune teller scene was the slowest dialogue and felt like a bit of fresh air.

My theory is that the hair in her mailbox was the professors hair as his hair was actually quite long.
Oct 8, 2016 12:40 PM
Mar 2016
yuiyuigahama said:
i dont think it occurred to people that it was fast paced on purpose? if you read the interviews of all the cast members on the official website they all commented about how you should watch intently to catch all the hidden nuances in the directing and series composition because info is shot at you at lightning speed. i thought the pace was great honestly; the speed gives you an adrenaline rush especially when that one ost from the beginning of the pv plays. excited to see more of aria and noto mamikos character.

I have to agree with you. Personally, I think it was a great first episode. It's great to get hit by all that info just to go back and follow all the hints that you've missed.
And I don't really think that the characters are annoying or bad. They're just... strange. Really looking forward to what will happen next.
Oct 8, 2016 12:40 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Did that first episode just happen?
Oct 8, 2016 12:41 PM

Oct 2014
Erohim Essaim *rofl*
Oct 8, 2016 12:42 PM

Sep 2014
That was very tiring to watch.Too much nonsense,randomness and unfunny moments that were supposed to be funny.Too many introductions and almost no consistency throughout the episode.I will give it 1 or 2 episodes,but I have doubts this will get any better.
Oct 8, 2016 12:43 PM

Sep 2013
Holy mother of fast pace, fast talking and cow tits ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oh and there's murder mystery or something.
Oct 8, 2016 12:55 PM
Apr 2014
I wish I could unsee this episode to get rid of the cancer I got from watching it.
3/10 Dropped, not gonna give it a second chance with the next ep and its A-1.
Oct 8, 2016 12:57 PM

Aug 2013
I feel like I might have to rewatch the first episode to pick up on everything that happened but then again...I just hated how it started and now I have a headache. Two more eps to try after this.
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 8, 2016 12:58 PM

May 2015
super confused but then again, that was basically the first few eps of steins;gate too. hopefully this is rlly good.

btw, what are those bewbs 0_0
Oct 8, 2016 1:04 PM

Aug 2015
Man... that just kept going didn't it?
Oct 8, 2016 1:04 PM

Sep 2016
wow that was terrible

good thing we have keijo!!!!!!!!! this season to save anime
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 8, 2016 1:24 PM
Jul 2015
Well, this was way too fast and I have no idea what the hell is going on...... But still enjoyable most of it. 4/5
Oct 8, 2016 1:32 PM

Jun 2010
I watched Steins;Gate and liked it fine, but the first episode was a big confusing question mark. It's kinda the same here, but I'm going to give it a bit of a chance and see some more.

Honestly, I don't know why they couldn't just introduce us to the characters and the premise in a non-spastic way, y'know, something for humans. Overall what matters is:
- a guy runs a blog about supernatural and occult;
- he strikes a deal with a famous high-schooler fortune-teller girl;
- he discovers a corpse of a professor famous for his occult research;
- there's a curse-girl the fortune-teller and Breasts are going to see next episode probably;

There. The rest of the episode, even if necessary, was too confusing because there wasn't time to focus on it. The professor has a son - but we learn nothing about him, so he was just another question mark in this episode. This son meets some ominous umbrella lady - another question mark. Lots of corpses found in a lake of some sort, but we don't know if that's already happened or if that was a jump to the future to grab our attention. So another question mark. A girl working in some kinda occult-related magazine is shown, nothing about her is revealed or explained. Question mark for later.

Do these people not know that not every single character has to be introduced in the first episode? Do they not know that not every little plot point requires a first-episode clumsy foreshadowing? Do things in an order that makes sense!

Also, how do they even get away with making "a retarded pair of giant breasts and nothing else" a main character? For crying out loud, Steins;Gate had a somewhat similar girl and guess what, she ended up as just a tool to motivate the main character to do things. Giving her a catchphrase doesn't equal giving her a personality.
Oct 8, 2016 1:41 PM

Jun 2010
yuiyuigahama said:
i dont think it occurred to people that it was fast paced on purpose? if you read the interviews of all the cast members on the official website they all commented about how you should watch intently to catch all the hidden nuances in the directing and series composition because info is shot at you at lightning speed.

If it was on purpose, that actually makes it worse. Being original is fine, but can never come at a cost of comprehensibility. If you want to do a lot of background hints and hidden foreshadowing, fine - but don't sacrifice the main story. We can go back to see more if we want - but we won't want to see "more" if your spastic "more" prevents you from giving us anything in the first place.
Oct 8, 2016 1:41 PM
Dec 2011
That was, well... interesting. Reminds me of Death Note in a way. Dark atmosphere, death but this anime has some humor mixed in. I like it.
Oct 8, 2016 1:42 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The art is top notch and I generally appreciate directors that take chances, but...

The rest is a total and absolute clusterfeck. This show has the most incredibly cringe-worthy dialogue. Almost all of the characters talk too fast and it's impossible to follow a story or take anyone seriously since they seem to be talking jibberish.

Pacing is a mess. There's no chance to take anything in. I can't even say what the plot was.

The characters are also utterly abhorrent. The MC is a pedantic fool. If you want to see that kind of self monologue done right go and watch The Tatami Galaxy or Arakawa Under the Bridge. And giant breasts girl is so cliché that I facepalmed every time she showed up.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 8, 2016 1:44 PM

Mar 2014
eworm said:
Honestly, I don't know why they couldn't just introduce us to the characters and the premise in a non-spastic way, y'know, something for humans. Overall what matters is:
- a guy runs a blog about supernatural and occult;
- he strikes a deal with a famous high-schooler fortune-teller girl;
- he discovers a corpse of a professor famous for his occult research;
- there's a curse-girl the fortune-teller and Breasts are going to see next episode probably;

dont forget that arias curse requires a sample of hair, and dr hashigamis corpse had hair ripped right off the scalp (much like the hair that aria received in her mailbox). hashigami also wrote "code" with his blood. the mass death of all those people in the lake occurs on tuesday march 1, and then it skips back to monday february 22, according to the cue cards that flashed for like 2 frames.
eworm said:

If it was on purpose, that actually makes it worse. Being original is fine, but can never come at a cost of comprehensibility. If you want to do a lot of background hints and hidden foreshadowing, fine - but don't sacrifice the main story. We can go back to see more if we want - but we won't want to see "more" if your spastic "more" prevents you from giving us anything in the first place.

it doesnt sacrifice the main story; all major elements were incorporated.
Oct 8, 2016 1:47 PM
Towel Attendant

Dec 2014
Trap.....check
Cow boobs.....check
Not quite cow boobs....check
Bakemonogatari style 1/2 second titles you have to pause and back up to read....check
Yep, all the things that are annoying. Along with the MC being annoying. The only good point to the episode was the art style and it was very nicely done. However, if I want to just look at nice art, I could go to a museum. That said 4/10 and I am gone.
Oct 8, 2016 1:47 PM
May 2014
Jesus, what a mess of a first episode. Stuff was constantly going on with frequent PoV changes and character introductions, but it felt like nothing really happened until the end. Aria, the interview and the final scene were pretty good, but overall the episode left a bad taste in my mouth.
Oct 8, 2016 1:53 PM
Dec 2014
Couldn't even finish the first episode... the pacing was terrible and there was so much bull and so many characters just chucked out of nowhere.
Oct 8, 2016 2:00 PM

Jul 2015
I thought the huge tits were hot actually.

Come at me.

The fast pacing and constant screaming made my head tired though, what were they thinking?
Oct 8, 2016 2:02 PM

Nov 2015

 I was keeping track of when the episode was going to end...
 I had some expectations because of this anime being a 5pb story but... Whether it didn't meet my expectations or I raised the bar too high.

Things I didn't like:
  • Yuuta is way too eccentric and talks WAY TOO FAST. I barely could keep track of what he said and managed to understand half.
  • The whole episode felt like a massive info dump, which is bad. It felt like trying to compress too much in the story just to end the 20 min episode with a "cliffhanger". I'll address this later.
  • My fear became true, Ryouka's boobs are not just bigger than her head (I can't see the shape of her belly because the massive oppai) but they are used for fanservice. Let alone that she's so dumb...
  • The art style, for me, looks dirty and unpolished. It reminds me the art style of Dimension W but a bit worse. I particularly didn't like it.
  • Random and constant change of point of view (PoV) which let me to lose track of events and their importance, let alone learn the names. To write this comment I had to open the Characters section on the MAL page of O;N
  • The cliffhanger... I couldn't have cared less. Some person got their hair ripped off with skin and all, and? am I supposed to care about this person? Because I don't know if we even met them.

Things I did like:
  • The OP and the ED and good looking and the songs are good too.

 Of course, I don't want to drop this yet but surely it didn't leave me with eager to watch the next episode.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
BlueBalls said:

The fast pacing and constant screaming made my head tired though, what were they thinking?
This guy gets me.

yuiyuigahama said:
...often times they will vary their delivery of information through a variety of methods including juxtaposition of several events at once (brave new world, aldous huxley) or rapid-paced exposition (in this case, occultic;nine). you can interpret this as a way of intentionally trying to distract you in order to ensure that you miss cleverly-hidden plot elements through the introduction of something like "red herrings" since it is, after all, a mystery show.
 I hope you are right, since I won't drop the show after just one episode.
HumbertoZeroOct 8, 2016 3:23 PM
Oct 8, 2016 2:08 PM

Jun 2014
stop talking so damn fast.
Oct 8, 2016 2:11 PM
Jul 2018
I haven't even checked the episode yet (mainly due to trying to fight on the stuff on the watching) and seeing the negative thoughts here... no surprise to be honest. Then again it is kinda disappointing in the end, since I was looking forward to it due to my interest with the concept.

I'll just wait a bit more until I can actually get the chance to watch it though.
Oct 8, 2016 2:20 PM

Nov 2014
Pandering and style over substance. My interest shut down at the words "otaku" and "blog", the quasi-gay character, and the gainaxing girl with the ray gun. The rest of the episode was a blur. It was too stupid to be psychological, and not lewd enough to be an ecchi.

2/5

Dropped.
Oct 8, 2016 2:23 PM

Jul 2015
Good thing I dont read subtitles lmfao. Either way... what the fuck is this lmfao
Oct 8, 2016 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
I actually really like the style and tone of this anime so far. And I'm sure things will become more clear in the next few episodes.
Oct 8, 2016 2:26 PM

Jul 2013
Well, I had a good laugh with this. It was so over the top ridiculous (and characters like the campy master, the elephant-boobs girl, the MC and the likes didn't helped at all) I tried my best to not laugh, but when the MC finds the dead body of the professor and that unfitting OST starts to play + Kaji's character screaming with him losing his shit, I lost it.

Guys, we could be before the best comedy of this season. After Mayoiga this Spring and Taboo Tattoo this Summer, would Occultic;Nine win the prestigious title of best comedy of this Fall? We will see it in the next episode.

The animation really surprised me, I thought I was seeing an anime from Shaft rather than A1 Pictures. I liked that detail.
The episode was very fast paced, but I believe that woman who visited the loli who curses people was the one who wished the death of the professor, since his corpse lacked his hair and the curse loli found (what I believe) is his hair in her mailbox.

I totally enjoyed this, hope next episode will deliver this good.

VanishingKira said:
Hope Kaji's character goes through alot of suffering,wanna see that annoying little shit break.
Are you mad or you want to have ear cancer? Kaji is at his worst when he voices dramatic scenes who involves his character crying and/or suffering. I had enough of his whiny acts with Guilty Crown's MC screaming like a bitch.
Oct 8, 2016 2:34 PM
Jan 2012
I was expecting more. 6/10. Would be like a 4 or 5 if it wasn't for the decent animation and gore.
Oct 8, 2016 2:38 PM

Mar 2013
Dude I was so hyped for this.. now I just don't know what to say.

3 episodes rule to drop.

The 2 main characters (Kaji Yuki and Oppai Girl) are so fucking annoying.
_junoOct 8, 2016 2:41 PM

Jun 2014
Fuck.... just.... fuck...
This was so fucking bad....

May 2015
So... I didn't like it. The animation was good but that's about it. The bimbo girl is annoying af, we learn nothing about the characters or the story, and it wasn't intriguing enough for me to think " I can't wait for ep 2!"
But I will watch 3 episodes and then decide...

Niveen_Sleem said:
I hate girls with over-sized breasts. They tend to be useless and nothing but distraction and ruiners for the story.

^ THIS! And the bouncing! It's just ridiculous!
Oct 8, 2016 2:41 PM

May 2010
Ehh that was a mess.. If the pacing doesn't get better in the next episode I think I'm dropping it
Oct 8, 2016 2:54 PM

Feb 2016
not gonna lie, i hope that over sized breast girl dies soon, is so annoying

and btw, if this show goes this fast and random, i'm afraid that this will be a Chaos;Head 2.0 (in terms of ruining a Story by rushing and adding random stuff
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 8, 2016 2:58 PM

Jan 2015
WTF Did they really adapted whole Light Novel in one fucking episode?
Oct 8, 2016 3:00 PM

Feb 2012
C? Try triple J. Unnecessary fan service is unnecessary. I did not understand half of that. Dangit usually I like paranormal anime.
Is anyone else reminded of deformed body mods from Bethesda games?
Oct 8, 2016 3:01 PM
Aug 2008
For me steins gate first six ep was super slow and boring af.
I droped it six times... the seventh try was full, and i give it 10/10.

My point is, i follow this till ep 6 no mater what.

Looks original anyway, and im not "so" critical :P
8/10 now.

Why fast? for me it was slow.
We have science vs occult stuff, have a ghost, mentalybroken girl with scalp, plus some extra character.
TOTALY loved the start with dead bodies!!! :3
(sorry for bad english ~~)

(someone asked where we saw it, i use animetake.tv - online site love it) - i hope this not against rules.
Oct 8, 2016 3:05 PM
Jul 2013
I am a fan of the art style. It was fast paced but I was still able to follow it. I think the settings is interesting and hope that it will prove interesting.
Oct 8, 2016 3:18 PM

Oct 2014
Welp, back to the Chaos;Head VN I go.

Reflect on this the next time you complain about the first half of Steins;Gate.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

172 by Selltar »»
Jun 10, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

217 by Archean-Return »»
May 21, 8:46 AM

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

95 by Archean-Return »»
May 20, 2:36 PM

» For the people who seen it

mathbg - Sep 8, 2023

3 by mathbg »»
Sep 9, 2023 8:11 AM

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2016

97 by Abyhape »»
Jan 24, 2023 9:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.