Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 8, 2015 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
The best episode of this season so far. Easily this series can become AOTS.

Also - ending>opening.
Oct 8, 2015 1:33 PM

Nov 2012
Awesome series...
I think this might the best anime of this season...
Oct 8, 2015 1:40 PM

Apr 2014
A slow start but interesting nonetheless unlike Sakurako-san.

Honestly surprised A-1 is behind this show because the visuals look great.
Oct 8, 2015 1:40 PM

Jun 2015
ummmmm, strange
Oct 8, 2015 1:42 PM

Aug 2014
Br4nd0nHeat said:
A-1 production mystery anime?? Yeah...no...
So I decided to read the discussion...What's with so many good reviews? Is it that good?

A1 doesn't have any sort of indentity. It's a nonitamina show but even that is pretty loose.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 8, 2015 1:46 PM

Aug 2014
I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be amazing. People who think this series is strange obviously have no knowledge of mystery novels.

Oct 8, 2015 1:51 PM

Jun 2011
black1blade said:
I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be amazing. People who think this series is strange obviously have no knowledge of mystery novels.

Or the source either which was adapted to a PS Visual Novel, Manga and a Live Action Drama. With that many adaptations, it has to be somewhat gripping.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Oct 8, 2015 1:51 PM

Mar 2014
Slow start and ugly CG cars but it was still way better than I expected it to be

Also A+ character designs. Asano is GOAT
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Oct 8, 2015 1:53 PM

Dec 2012
The OP and ED are so good holy shit
Oct 8, 2015 1:55 PM

Jul 2012
Not bad so far, that's about all I gotta say about the episode though. Looking forward to what this has to offer.
Oct 8, 2015 1:56 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I just won 10 point of IQ after watching this !

Seriously tho, i have a really good feeling about this one.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 8, 2015 1:59 PM

Jan 2014
That was amazing. Characters, especially Sohoi, are very interesting and unique. This just smells like mystery. And the scenes and the music. Oh my, so beautiful. Art style catches my eyes since OP and only let them go after ED.

One huge minus in plot: a killer doll. WHY? Why they had to completely ruin the atmosphere of real life mystery with a random horror movie scenario?

Kudos as petrolhead - Alfa-Romeo 4C had it's engine sound! (3D model was good, maybe it was a little too big or Moe is tiny) Would love to see more of Moe's car.
Oct 8, 2015 2:04 PM

Aug 2014
Dotty_Et_Cetera said:

One huge minus in plot: a killer doll. WHY? Why they had to completely ruin the atmosphere of real life mystery with a random horror movie scenario?

Most likely a metaphor for something.

Oct 8, 2015 2:04 PM

Nov 2013
This is my kind of show right here. There is a lot of dialogue but it's all fairly natural (albeit philosophical), and even more is conveyed through the characters' body language. The dull colors contribute to the somewhat gloomy atmosphere. And the character designs and classical music are a lovely bonus. I enjoyed this episode much more than Sakurako's premiere, elements of which I found overdone.
TienOct 8, 2015 2:07 PM
Oct 8, 2015 2:05 PM

Jan 2014
black1blade said:
Dotty_Et_Cetera said:

Most likely a metaphor for something.

I hope so too. But if that is the truth... lower rating ofc.
Oct 8, 2015 2:08 PM

Apr 2013
Good, interesting start. Was a bit slow, but I really like the overall tone of the series so far. Have high expectations for this.
Oct 8, 2015 2:14 PM

Apr 2010
Finally an anime that isn't about high schoolers.

Not sure what the think of the episode tho, there where some hints of where this is going but for now i can't say that i am interested.
Tho i will keep watching to see where this is going.

Jan 2013
im pretty sure the plot or the mystery will start when they get there(that island where the dr is) and someone gets murdered or they discover a body or something

Feb 2014
Pretty good OP and really interesting overall. I like this.
Oct 8, 2015 2:19 PM

Aug 2015
Not much happened, but I really found it interesting.
Oct 8, 2015 2:20 PM

Sep 2015
3deep5me.
Overall it was good, though. Characters and dialogues felt natural. That's nice.

You just lost the game
Oct 8, 2015 2:20 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I really enjoyed the overall quiet/mundane atmosphere without bgm, and just talking. The neutral color palette adds to that feeling too. Considering the source material that's been adapted into several other mediums prior to the anime announcement, I will give it the benefit of the doubt and hope for this series to be a good one. Magata is a really mysterious character, I wonder what her role is here, aside from the genius that everyone wants to meet. The relationship between Nishinosono and Saikawa is also interesting. I also liked the conversations in this episode, they felt natural, as Cishet said. None of the characters feel quirky (yet?). So far so good. The only thing I'm worried as of now is the 11 episode limitation of noitaminA.
Oct 8, 2015 2:22 PM

Aug 2014
Tien said:
This is my kind of show right here. There is a lot of dialogue but it's all fairly natural (albeit philosophical), and even more is conveyed through the characters' body language. The dull colors contribute to the somewhat gloomy atmosphere. And the character designs and classical music are a lovely bonus. I enjoyed this episode much more than Sakurako's premiere, elements of which I found overdone.

I would say sakurako's first ep was a 6 or 7 while this one was an 8 or 9. I think they'll be able to work within the 11 episode limitation. Mystery stories don't have to be super long epics with multiple arcs, just a focused story.

Oct 8, 2015 2:29 PM

Aug 2014
This looked interesting. But why would she ask her what was the motive of killing her parents when she stated that a doll did it?

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Oct 8, 2015 2:37 PM
Sep 2013
Interesting so far!

The show seems aware that sensei is just spouting 2deep4you nonsense.
Di-DorvalOct 8, 2015 2:56 PM
Oct 8, 2015 2:56 PM

May 2014
FINALLY AN ANIME WITH GOOD DIRECTING gdhoshkdkjcnaslkcjsn,c.d////
Oct 8, 2015 2:57 PM
Nov 2013
Loved it, a slow start but I can already tell this is going to be very interesting. The animation and character designs are very unique, thanks to Inio-sensei <3
Oct 8, 2015 3:04 PM

Jan 2008
I'm really digging the tone of this anime, and the mellow voice of a mature protagonist. I was honestly getting tired of all the new anime coming out with a teen suddenly being OP. This might be one of the better murder mysteries of the season, but we'll just have to see if they continue with this pace.
Oct 8, 2015 3:11 PM

Apr 2009
Kind of realized where we were going when it started with heavy monologuing + Bach. It might have actually been an enjoyable episode if the teacher wasn't one of the worst characters (if you can call him that) I've seen in a while. Moe was alright though, since she seemed as fed up with his shit as I was. I get that we're not supposed to agree with Saikawa, or find him particularly profound, but his bad philosophising made the episode really tedious all the same.

All in all, this episode made me appreciate the rather average Sakurako-san a bit more, since things actually happened in that show, so not a great start. At least it had better visual direction.
AmarrezOct 8, 2015 3:16 PM
Oct 8, 2015 3:16 PM

Jun 2015
Amarrez said:
Kind of realized where we were going when it started with heavy monologuing + Bach. It might have actually been an enjoyable episode if the teacher wasn't one of the worst characters (if you can call him that) I've seen in a while. Moe was alright though, since she seemed as fed up with his shit as I was.

All in all, this episode made me appreciate the rather average Sakurako-san a bit more, so not a great start.

Fed up with his shit? She's in love with him XD
Oct 8, 2015 3:20 PM

Apr 2009
Equitum said:
Amarrez said:
Kind of realized where we were going when it started with heavy monologuing + Bach. It might have actually been an enjoyable episode if the teacher wasn't one of the worst characters (if you can call him that) I've seen in a while. Moe was alright though, since she seemed as fed up with his shit as I was.

All in all, this episode made me appreciate the rather average Sakurako-san a bit more, so not a great start.

Fed up with his shit? She's in love with him XD

You can love someone despite their stoner philosophy related flaws
Oct 8, 2015 3:20 PM

Sep 2010
Stark700 said:
Well that was interesting.

I especially liked the style of the OP theme song. The OST also gives off a bit of mystery-like feel too. As for the main characters, I find Souhei to be an interesting character actually especially with his personality. Magata Shiki is also a strange character but the episode establishes a story already in terms of content with her background and intellect.

Not sure what I think of Moe yet though...
Overall, interesting episode. There's a lot of ways this show could go about with this and Magata's character has a fascination side to it. ED theme song is also catchy imo.

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Oct 8, 2015 3:22 PM

Nov 2013
Magata and Souhei seem like the most interesting characters so far but Moe is kind of annoying and it's only the 1st episode.lol
Oct 8, 2015 3:24 PM

Aug 2010
Moe's voice is so cute <3
Oct 8, 2015 3:32 PM

May 2013
I think I liked this one more so the sakurako-san so far. It had a smoother, although slower and more ponderous pace. Despite seemingly slow paced, this show flushed out interesting characters better than most other shows this season, so at the very least they accomplished something. It also had engaging dialogue and thankfully none of the characters were dreadful (looking at you Shoutarou from Sakurako-san).

Overall the art was almost as good, and more effectively used, in this show when compared with Sakurako (although not quite the same quality, still very close). The writing animation was beautiful to: giving Death note a run for its money on that one. Very solid; in my opinion it is one of the strongest starts for a new tv anime series this season (i.e. not including sequels).

It's right up there with Sakurako-san, One Punch Man, Young Black Jack, and Osomatsu-san for my top 5 first episodes this season. Hopefully it doesn't TANK!
Oct 8, 2015 3:40 PM

Apr 2015
Hard to tell what this show is really about.

Characters are really good though. I'll stick with it.
Oct 8, 2015 3:47 PM

Feb 2013
Kinda slow but sooo cool! The animation is so great, Magata Shiki totally creeped me out with that look.
Oct 8, 2015 4:06 PM

May 2013
I loved the first ep,so much hyouka nostalgia with the music.Adult MC check.Adult side characters check.Great animation and music check.Expecting much from the show and I hope it gets better with each episode
Lead me out of the dark,bishounen space Jesus.
Oct 8, 2015 4:22 PM

Mar 2010
Almost nothing happened in this episode, but.... I'll stick with it to see where it goes.

The visuals are great, tho. As a fan of Inio Asano's Works, really liked the character design.
Oct 8, 2015 4:23 PM

Mar 2011
Confirmed awesome. I'm so glad i actually tried some first episodes this season. Looks like a gem.
Oct 8, 2015 4:37 PM

Nov 2014
very interesting looks like steins gate and that is one of the best anime stated by MAL ratings.
Gonna keep watching it mystery anime is awsome and is very rare seing a well done
anime in this genre , i hope A1 doesnt fucked up this one.
Stop the meaningless talk
Oct 8, 2015 4:41 PM

Nov 2014
Nice art, sedate pacing, believable characterization, and intelligent conversation.

The plot seems simple, but not in a bad way. I prefer clarity and simplicity over confusing complexity.

5/5
Oct 8, 2015 4:42 PM

Mar 2008
Don't tell me Magata Shiki is just a piece of software. Or did she manage to move her consciousness to a software app? There were a number of hints in the episode about it.
Oct 8, 2015 4:45 PM

Jun 2014
The majority of this episode was 2-3 scenes that contained a ton of dialogue. But it wasnt overwhelming. Yet it was still able to be intellectual without being boring or insignificant. This balance impressed me.
Oct 8, 2015 4:45 PM

Jun 2015
soulelle said:
Don't tell me Magata Shiki is just a piece of software. Or did she manage to move her consciousness to a software app? There were a number of hints in the episode about it.

I don't think so, but it's not impossible. She got her doctorate at the age of eleven, after all.
Oct 8, 2015 4:54 PM

Mar 2008
Equitum said:
soulelle said:

I don't think so, but it's not impossible. She got her doctorate at the age of eleven, after all.

why do you not think so?
Oct 8, 2015 5:16 PM

Jun 2014
Pretty good start, but definitely seems like one of those shows that take awhile before they get to the truly breathtaking parts.

Possibility of being one of the best of this year.
Oct 8, 2015 5:20 PM

Jun 2015
soulelle said:
Equitum said:

why do you not think so?

I just don't think there's currently enough reasons to come to that conclusion, though I could see it happening. Also, pretty sure we see her in person in one of the previews (not sure though).
Oct 8, 2015 5:27 PM

Dec 2014
This is one anime that you don't really care what the plot or the general story is in the first episode, not to say it doesn't provide such, just the directing and the acting alone is enough to keep you invested. Every first episode is a huge exposition, and this anime managed to flesh out its characters and their relationship with each other and the general idea of what the tone and goal is very effortlessly. Very impressive.

A bit too snobbish and pretentious when it comes to the themes, I hope it's not another title like Death Parade that tries to be smart but ended up embarrassing itself. My most anticipated anime of this season. A-1 pictures can make something good just like P.A. Works can also make shit.
Oct 8, 2015 5:29 PM

Jun 2015
I feel like this series is going to take its sweet time moving forward.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2015

229 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 18, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2015

176 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 18, 10:34 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2015

81 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 18, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2015

141 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 18, 9:13 AM

Poll: » Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2015

125 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 18, 8:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.