Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 17, 2015 4:17 PM

May 2015
ED2 sucks.

Great episode, new dets on the dad.
Jul 17, 2015 4:19 PM
Apr 2013
Drake1000 said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Transition episode, am a bit surprised that they kept all the detail in (particularly the entire hotel lobby scene). This show is not rushing anywhere, which makes me think that the end will be

This also makes me think we will get the Karaage arc. I hope so, it means that everyone is expecting another 2 cours sometime relatively soon.

I think you're right.

Jul 17, 2015 4:25 PM

Jun 2014
I am only at the opening and I will edit it after the episode but...
That opening is telling me they are going to rush it... but oh god I got shonen vibes while watching it, and it kinda fits. I just hope that they won't actually go that far in the manga but the opening is showing something quite far in the manga....

EDIT: So I finished the episode and I can say the pace is still fine, but the animation took some hit. Wow there wasn't much animation this time. There were some anime original part(which is normal since they re-aranged the arc) which was quite good actually and wasn't out of place, so the episode was pretty fine.
There is some stuff though like how at the end it lacks intensity but I guess that just how anime is. Also

Thai777Jul 17, 2015 5:20 PM
Jul 17, 2015 4:36 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
I wonder when the top seats currently will be revealed.
Jul 17, 2015 4:48 PM

Jul 2014
Pretty good episode! They're doing really well with adapting the manga so I really like that! Good OP, will have to listen to it a few more times though. As for the ED though, I really loved the other one so yeah..not really liking this one so much..hopefully it gets better as I listen to it more! Overall, nice ep, can't wait for next week!
Jul 17, 2015 4:48 PM

Apr 2010
lol The girls were getting thirsty thinking of how Soma will be in the future. I really liked the new opening, but the ending...it was cute, but the song was painful.
Jul 17, 2015 5:03 PM

Aug 2014
now Gary Stu can just take 1st seat and surpass his father.
and b4 his father not getting 1st cuz he didnt bother...
Funny how soma hair is all protagonist and his fathers was all well done. Shounen to the max.
Jul 17, 2015 5:05 PM

Oct 2014
It's all subjective, but the new opening and ending theme songs are worse. Then again the first songs were really good and not easy to trump. Series is still rocking.
Jul 17, 2015 5:13 PM

Aug 2014
What a fucking snooze fest.
At least the next episode seems... promising, I guess.

THE NEW ED SUCKED

RIP IN FULA FULA
Jul 17, 2015 5:14 PM

Jul 2010
Very nice episode, we got some back story and relaxing scenes...but someone take this ED away from me please.Where's my Supaisu ;-;; ffs
Jul 17, 2015 5:16 PM

Jan 2013
Can anyone do a fanfiction of Erina x Hisako already? They're pratically begging for it.
Jul 17, 2015 5:16 PM
Jul 2015
so from new opening jc already spoiler skill from black and white hair character, so much shonen battle in opening

Mod edit: Image removed. "Do not discuss the manga beyond this episode" also includes posting scans beyond this episode.
NTADJul 17, 2015 6:25 PM
Jul 17, 2015 5:22 PM

Nov 2013
Guess they're gonna blaze through the next main story arc.. Guess it's all killer, no filler, eh? They've got, what, 9 episodes to do it, so it's not impossible, although it's a tad worrisome. Hope it's not too breakneck. They can (unless the manga decides to screw JC Staff over) skip some content, so it should still work out. Hopefully.
Jul 17, 2015 5:23 PM

Aug 2012
Eyyy Shoutouts

Jul 17, 2015 5:25 PM
Apr 2014
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
Eyyy Shoutouts

Unlimited Kitchen Works?
Jul 17, 2015 5:25 PM

Jun 2014
TheUnbiasedOne91 said:
Funny how soma hair is all protagonist and his fathers was all well done. Shounen to the max.

Weirds you are double posting and doesn't give anything new except saying weird assumption you got...are you salty or something?

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
NTADJul 17, 2015 6:26 PM
Jul 17, 2015 5:33 PM

Oct 2014
If the Kaarage Arc is being left out, how is Souma's relationship with Eizan gonna work now?

Also, 9 episodes left is not enough time for the entire Autumn Election arc. So it's either Season 1 cliffhanger + Season 2 + Karaage Arc OVA or bust.

W.A.I.F.U = Women. Are. Imaginary. For. Us.
Jul 17, 2015 5:34 PM
Oct 2012
TheUnbiasedOne91 said:

You keep plucking that chicken boy.

As for the father, no one knows why he didn't get first, but as for dropping out of school when he said "various things happened", did that look like arrogance (particularly Souma's reaction)?
Jul 17, 2015 5:47 PM

Dec 2014
Hehe, another great episode with great adherence to the manga. When the girls looked at Soma imagining what he would be like in the future, I almost died of laughter! xD

Though I liked the new OP, I am very worried that they will try and squeeze in too much of the Autumn Election into these final episodes.
Jul 17, 2015 5:48 PM

Dec 2013
Loved this episode. It was great seeing Soma's father again.

Really liked the new opening. Got mixed feelings for the new ed. I liked the old one a lot more.

Dat Arabian foodgasm doe!
Jul 17, 2015 6:02 PM

Oct 2012
So Erina knows his father, and what's more he is her idol from the past, what an interesting developement, I can't wait for her to find.

Father/son duel, eh? Can't wait to see. I wonder if his father culinary heaven left because he was born (we still know nothing about his mother too).

New OP and ED, hmmm... I liked the old ones better (really what's with the ED song, it's horrible singing)
Jul 17, 2015 6:04 PM

Jun 2014
BEST EP SO FAR. SOUMA'S DAD SO OP. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW SOUMA ENDS UP AND LEARN MORE ABOUT WHY SOUMA'S DAD DIDNT GRADUATE
Jul 17, 2015 6:14 PM

Aug 2012
Senpai_Ochinchin said:
Lucasloco91 said:
Spice is a lot better than this new shit ...
But, OP 2 > OP 1.

Lol am I the only one that actually likes this new ED?

Lol, probably. My ears were bleeding when I was listening to it.
Jul 17, 2015 6:18 PM

May 2013
The OP's sequence is epic but the ED tho, im really not a fan of the singer. Needs more improvement.

Glad to see Joichiro again and mannn that end again.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 17, 2015 6:21 PM
Sep 2013
actually i'm quite disappointed with both op and ed, it's not even on par with the first one, particularly the ed.

Well, look who's back, and that moment when Joichiro just giving Soma order to help him and Soma just by reflect follow it is quite fun moment. And poor Marui, he's tasting that terrible food lol

Next week we'll have a cooking battle between them, it's been a while since first episodes..

Drake1000 said:
CloudStrifeFFVII said:
Eyyy Shoutouts

Unlimited Kitchen Works?

damn, so true! Reality Marble at its best
hahailham1Jul 17, 2015 6:24 PM
Jul 17, 2015 6:26 PM

Apr 2015
New OP/ED are okay. Finally they added some backstory with his father and whatnot.
Jul 17, 2015 6:29 PM

Feb 2013
Thread Cleaned

OP said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Also, please do not address user infractions yourself. Report the post please.

Non-mod talk: New OP is okay. ED is meh. I'm hype for next week now, though. Will he slay the demon...or have his soul devoured?
Jul 17, 2015 6:44 PM

Jan 2013
At first, I liked the second opening most, but i heard a second time and realized that it was my hype for the next arc talking louder. The singing was really bad, but the scenes were cool.
Jul 17, 2015 6:53 PM

Jan 2013
Aww but Spice was such a good song...
Jul 17, 2015 6:53 PM

Nov 2011
You think the new OP make this look like a fighting anime? Well, the Autumn Election is a fighting anime! The competition will be so intense it become a fight.

Jul 17, 2015 6:55 PM

Aug 2014
FANTASTIC! This was a great episode! Not just because that Shura came to Kyoukusei but also that fragrance of his food was really parfait! ^.^
I could feel inside of Souma-kun how he was feeling about get know from Shura and how much he admired him... Now the next plate will be a challenge between these two greatest cookers with exceptional foods. Let's see next week!! (I can't wait for that).
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jul 17, 2015 6:58 PM

Jan 2015
Omg did they really mention my beloved Harissa ?!okay I love this show, I didn't know Harissa's popularity would reach Asia!! I loved the new op, and well the encouter of Souma and his dad was refreshing tho it made Souma feel confused, and what?? Erina has something for Souma's dad ??! But the real thing starts now I guess.. I wonder how far Souma is going for the next challenge !!
Jul 17, 2015 7:05 PM

Jul 2010
I love Souma's dad. He's such a charismatic character and badass in many ways, it's kinda obvious who's going to win but yeah, this is a nice chance for some more development for Souma.

Probably his father wants to crush Souma and show him that chef of great talent await him, and if even so Souma wants to compete against them he must prepared for being defeated or worse. That's my guess.

Senpai_Ochinchin said:
Lucasloco91 said:
Spice is a lot better than this new shit ...
But, OP 2 > OP 1.

Lol am I the only one that actually likes this new ED?

Actually I think I never heard a more horrible ED than that in my whole life lol.
I know it was intentional because they wouln't ever and ever let a off-key singer doing a ED without reasons. But still, I find it a poor and bad choice.
This reminds what occured with Samurai Flamenco and Mari's ED. But in that case it was kinda brilliant how they did it.
Jul 17, 2015 7:13 PM

Feb 2010
Eeeeh the other OP was a lot better, it reminded me of Chihayafuru =/
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Jul 17, 2015 7:30 PM

Aug 2010
I want the old ending song back!

There were already so many hints but now it's finally confirmed who Souma's dad really is. I'm curious to find out why he didn't graduate. Also I wonder when or if we'll ever see Souma's mom.
Jul 17, 2015 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
We got an abomination of ED.
Jul 17, 2015 7:39 PM

May 2010
LOl the exaggerations are incredible.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 17, 2015 7:46 PM

Apr 2015
It's annoying to have that 14.5 last week
Oh well, J.C. Staff is covering the fall classic!!!!!!

Next week is the showdown between father and son,
the winner is obvious

Is it just me or the ED sounds like a random three year
old singing

Jul 17, 2015 7:47 PM

Jan 2011
Oh man this was a great episode! Souma's dad came back to visit and the Polar Star members and Fumio found out that they're both related. We also found out that Erina seems to have met Joichiro in the past but has no idea he's Souma's dad. Dojima also finally realised that Souma is Joichiro's son. It was nice to see an explanation of how Joichiro and Dojima were very close friends/rivals and helped out the Polar Star dorm back in the day. Looking forward to the father vs son cook-off next episode. The new OP is so damn awesome, it's definitely a lot more shounen-influenced with more rock which I love. The visuals are perfect and colourful and very reminiscent to actual shounen battle series. The ED sounds nice too but I prefer Spice more.
5/5
Jul 17, 2015 7:51 PM
Mar 2014
I bet Soma's dad is the real #1... There's a lot of mystery surrounding him especially how he dropped out. Plus, Erina has seriously admires Soma's dad but doesn't do the same for Dojima so I'm pretty sure Joichiro > Dojima
Jul 17, 2015 8:18 PM

Jan 2011
So disappointed in the OP&ED mainly the ED i lost Spice to this shit oh well
Jul 17, 2015 8:23 PM

Jul 2009
lol that stalker girl from the ending theme, such a creep.

Love seeing my favourite character in the opening :) (Akira is love).

Souma's dad rocks. Never thought about it much in the manga but maybe the reason he never graduated has something to do with Souma's mom...

Isshiki's nakedness never gets old.
Jul 17, 2015 8:27 PM

Mar 2015
Great episode as usual. I don't know why this show entertains me so well. But it's just awesome.

Some points I'd like to mention:

1. Soma's father is DA MAN! I can see why all the girls are falling for him :D

2. Inui cuteness. Such a funny side character.

3. I always wondered about Soma's mother? They never mentioned her. I hope she is not dead or something.

Concerning the ships:

4. I think the new ED made the lesbian Erina ship almost canon.

5. Referring to 4. I hope the SomaxMegumi ship will sail sometime.

6. Also the yaoi factor is extremely high between the two random side character guys. And BareButt-Senpai of course.

@familyaffairs:

I don't read the manga but I somehow get this akward feeling that Erina and Soma are related. Maybe Soma's mother is/was the daughter of the director of the school (who is Erina's grandfather). The old man then got butthurt and expelled Soma's dad and made his daughter marry someone else (who is Erina's father).

But that's just a hypothesis of mine :D
HelenusJul 17, 2015 8:32 PM
Jul 17, 2015 8:43 PM

Sep 2014
The new OP is EFFIN dope. It now feels more like a shonen anime compared to the first one.

Lol at Spice's replacements. I'm hoping this won't be a character specific ED.

AND THEY ANIMATED THE RECRUITING SCENE SO WELL LOOK AT THOSE THREE FLOCKING OVER MEGUMI HAHAAHA 5/5

The Demon, huh? Did he get that name because of his food experiments? ;P

Y'all are gonna laugh next week. I found the foodgasms of their cooking battle one of the funniest in the series hahahaha
Jul 17, 2015 8:53 PM

Oct 2011
I had issues with this episode.

-Not a fan of Souma and his father being way too similar. Same dorm, same room and both are Gary Stus.
-You are telling me that not one person from the Polar Star Dorm failed? Way to convenient that they all passed.
-Why does Dojima look 10 years younger than Souma's father? Aren't they both supposed to be the same age?
-Why did the grandma keep an image of Dojima and Souma's father? Why not a picture of the entire dorm to show the Polar Star group at that time?
Jul 17, 2015 8:54 PM

Dec 2014
Op 1 = Op 2
Ed 1 > Ed 2
:)

The surprise on Erina's face if she knew who Soma's father is... :)

The lamb dish looks good.
Jul 17, 2015 8:56 PM

Jun 2013
New OP and ED
New Op is fantastic and a lot better than the first, the new ED is pretty good but nowhere near the level of spice

Regarding the episode, it was as perfect as always! Cant wait to see the battle of father and son :D
Jul 17, 2015 8:58 PM

Mar 2011
That was a superb episode, didn't watch the 14.5 since it's never reached my hands in first place...

I still prefer the old op. As for the ED it's like its predecessor, both to be skipped for me.
Jul 17, 2015 9:01 PM
Oct 2012
Helenus said:
I don't read the manga but I somehow get this akward feeling that Erina and Soma are related. Maybe Soma's mother is/was the daughter of the director of the school (who is Erina's grandfather). The old man then got butthurt and expelled Soma's dad and made his daughter marry someone else (who is Erina's father).

But that's just a hypothesis of mine :D

Since the manga hasn't touched on it at all, it is all speculation, but that is a plausible theory. The two main problems are that Souma and Erina are the same age, and that Erina met the father after that "affair" would have happened, certainly suggests that the father isn't unwelcomed by the family.

A couple of other points are:
1) The father took a new name: from Saiba to Yukihara. The question is why? Traditionally it should be the mother's name, and he married into the family (a somewhat unique Japanese thing where the daughter is "divorced" from the family, the groom is adopted, and then he marries the daughter).
2) The father is obviously still in love with the mother (he had told Souma that this is the secret to cooking, and the dorm mother confirmed it this episode (with her line that his cooking became kinder)), but he can leave to go cook around the world. For me this suggests that the mother is dead, but the father still cooks kind food in her memory.
3) The counter point is that it seems clear that the father, after leaving school, went around the world cooking (at least up until the time Souma was young enough not to remember, but old enough to know that people were still calling his father). But that he stopped his journeys before the mother disappeared from the story, to run the Yukihara restaurant. Again this makes us question why.

I do think that there is some connection between Souma and Erina (and no, Erina is not a lesbian - you are bad mouthing my two waifu's there (neither of which is Erina :-) but I haven't come up with an adequate explanation of the Yukihara name. Doesn't look like we are going to get any info anytime soon either.
Jul 17, 2015 9:09 PM
Oct 2012
Gov said:
Why did the grandma keep an image of Dojima and Souma's father? Why not a picture of the entire dorm to show the Polar Star group at that time?

They showed that picture later in the episode, so she had both. But the simple reason is that Dojima and Souma were the first and second seeds at the school, they were the ones, as she explained, that built the Polar Star "Golden Age". And when they explained Dojima earlier, he was given the keys to control all the schools resorts (i.e. where the vast majority of their money comes from). He isn't only a "former first seat", but the first seat among first seats.

Gov said:
Not a fan of Souma and his father being way too similar. Same dorm, same room and both are Gary Stus.

Souma is not a Stu. He already lost to Shinomiya (and even more clearly to Megumi).

Gov said:
You are telling me that not one person from the Polar Star Dorm failed? Way to convenient that they all passed.

Not really, the polar star is famous for its "weird" people. And being "weird" is not a detriment in cooking.

Gov said:
-Why does Dojima look 10 years younger than Souma's father? Aren't they both supposed to be the same age?

Onsen water. Dojima does it every day. Great for the skin.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

639 by Dumb »»
Sep 8, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2015

193 by PapRedpaw »»
Aug 19, 3:56 PM

Poll: » Why is the rating keep dropping each season (Anime or manga)

Hickykissy - Aug 10

15 by HorseLatitudes »»
Aug 16, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2015

425 by duragon49 »»
Jul 29, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2015

197 by duragon49 »»
Jul 29, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.