Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Aug 31, 2014 8:45 PM
Jan 2014
banco said:
soo..this was 10 days ago iirc? where's episode 8?
my bad if this was previously discussed or there's something obvious i'm missing.

Apparently the 8th Episode wasn't broadcast in Japan this past Thursday so Funimation wasn't able to simulcast it in the states as a result. The normal schedule will resume this Thursday when Episode 8 comes out.
Aug 31, 2014 11:25 PM

Jun 2009
For anyone questioning the potency or impotence of U.S. government read "Legacy of Ashes the History of the CIA". It will blow your brain right out of your skull. I'm only on chapter 15 (mind blowing chapter) but it is like I found diamonds spilling out of the book.

After about 3 or four chapters you would no longer question what is going on in this anime as far as the govt is concerned because you would know!
Sep 1, 2014 9:26 AM

Jun 2013
Damn.. that was intense.

Seems like Lisa is inviting trouble now since she lost her ID card to Five
Sep 1, 2014 10:26 AM

Jun 2012
Shibazaki should have put a bullet in fives head. And fuck they shouldve just left lisa to die.
Sep 1, 2014 11:56 AM

Jul 2014
SkyJW said:
banco said:
soo..this was 10 days ago iirc? where's episode 8?
my bad if this was previously discussed or there's something obvious i'm missing.

Apparently the 8th Episode wasn't broadcast in Japan this past Thursday so Funimation wasn't able to simulcast it in the states as a result. The normal schedule will resume this Thursday when Episode 8 comes out.

thanks for the heads up!
Sep 2, 2014 1:47 AM

Nov 2011
Sep 2, 2014 2:36 AM
Oct 2012
Stark700 said:
Episode 7 PV is out:

You mean Episode 8 right? :)
Sep 2, 2014 2:47 AM
Oct 2012
Stark700 said:
Episode 7 PV is out:

All jokes aside, this looks very promising and tension paced. Did say on the official site, Lisa would be in the house alone while the two terrorists are shopping for a new home. That's when a bomb is placed int heir home.

That face on Five though, for once, she doesn't seem like a psycho bitch. She looks...human. Maybe failure wasn't in her plans and can't accept it?

I do think this might be the mood changer and bring it to at hopes an amazing three episode ender. But, we never know.
Sep 2, 2014 2:48 AM

Nov 2011
Oops yeah, I meant episode 8.
Stark700Sep 2, 2014 2:55 AM
Sep 2, 2014 11:28 AM

Jan 2012
yet again really great episode... intense, gripping! I don't even like or play chess and they made it fun to watch so kudos! xD gutted im now caught up and have to wait like everyone else could have breezed through this series in one sitting!
Sep 3, 2014 9:33 AM

Nov 2012
Stark700 said:
Episode 7 PV is out:

uh why do people say Lisa died on that PV? No God, no ;_;
Your so-called peaceful world makes me bored, so don't blame me if I destroy all of it.
- http://worldinverse.smackjeeves.com
Sep 3, 2014 5:52 PM
Oct 2012
WorldInverse said:
Stark700 said:
Episode 7 PV is out:

uh why do people say Lisa died on that PV? No God, no ;_;

The episode hasn't aired in Japan yet, so we should wait a moment. however, what is going on doesn't seem to be safe in any matter.

The reason why people are saying that is thanks to the preview handed in words by saying Sphinx left to find a new hideout location. However, a Bomb is shipped right at their house with Lisa left on her own.

i don't see this ending well in any form.
Sep 3, 2014 7:19 PM

Nov 2011
I gotta say it: I hate that "Five" character. The series was really good until she apeared, but it started going down with absurd ideas with her.
'cause a dumbass girl have the power to rule FBI and the governement of the USA that orders the japanease governement to listen to them (Wtf?) and plants bombs to kill innocent people? Where does THAT makes ANY sense?
I'm mad.
Sep 4, 2014 4:29 AM

Jul 2012
mayukachan said:
This show does what it's supposed to do well. Thriller. It's fun, fast-paced, suspenseful and serious. I could care less on how underdeveloped the characters are or how many plotholes there are (I don't really want to know pls)

it does it's job. puts you on edge throughout the whole episode.
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Sep 4, 2014 8:45 AM
Dec 2012
What's with the craze on chess nowadays, how bout the dumber ppl watching this.
Sometimes five shows the exact opposite of Lisa and that card mean NOTHING to five, five is a person with utmost authority in the whole investigation. But srsly , THIS won't heat up the drama
Sep 4, 2014 8:47 AM
Dec 2012
Outlander said:
I gotta say it: I hate that "Five" character. The series was really good until she apeared, but it started going down with absurd ideas with her.
'cause a dumbass girl have the power to rule FBI and the governement of the USA that orders the japanease governement to listen to them (Wtf?) and plants bombs to kill innocent people? Where does THAT makes ANY sense?
I'm mad.

Agrees, its not practical
Sep 6, 2014 8:29 PM

Sep 2011
A bit late, but this was a pretty BA episode. Probably my second favorite of the whole series.

However, I was wondering, how did Nine know which chess pieces Five was moving? All I saw on the monitors were the moves (B4, F6, etc), so how did he know which chess piece goes where? Did I miss something?
LightinNoirSep 6, 2014 8:34 PM
Sep 6, 2014 8:38 PM

Nov 2011
So, if we ignore that there's no good reason for 5 to not be in prison right now, and assume the Japanese government actually was backing her (which I'm not buying, but still overlooking that), I have one very important question: How do you predict the location of a checkmate in chess before you play?

Any takers? No?

It's not possible short of a supernatural prophecy, and I don't think this is that kind of show. You could have the most powerful supercomputers in the world tackle it and it wouldn't matter; you simply can't predict it, because in order to do so you'd need to know every move the other player would make before they made their first move. Even giving herself the advantage of making the first move, it simply doesn't work. Do you plan to tell me they had the bomb prepared in that plane beforehand (which is what the show implied), knowing where the checkmate would take place? No. Just no.

Also, planes don't work that way. Autopilot wouldn't do that. It's comparable to thinking cruise control will drive your car for you.

The use of chess made no sense in the first place, anyway. Five wants to play with Sphinx? Seriously? If we assume she could have placed the bomb on the fly (negating the above), she could have blew the bomb without all of that fanfare. It would have been much more clean and she wouldn't have Shibazaki on her back. Heck, she could have put it directly in the terminal rather than on the plane, and killed Lisa later. It's common sense. -.-;

The character depth wasn't touched. I honestly have no idea where they plan to take this now. The whole plot seems to have derailed.

Disappointing episode.

Edit:
BlackAngel5 said:
However, I was wondering, how did Nine know which chess pieces Five was moving? All I saw on the monitors were the moves (B4, F6, etc), so how did he know which chess piece goes where? Did I miss something?

It's a plot hole. There are situations where more than one piece can move to a given square. While she did call out her moves, which piece was moved wasn't indicated on the monitors, which is pretty important in this odd sort of situation, no?
TripleSRankSep 6, 2014 8:42 PM
Sep 7, 2014 12:51 PM
Apr 2014
Hmm I'm kinda disappointed. The anime is awesome but I really was looking forward to some kind of anti-hero-like protagonists. And while Nine and Twelve obviously still are terrorists it looks much more like the usual fight for "justice" or the likes since Five was introduced.

On top of that I liked their games with Shibasaki and the fight against the police but now we got some totally unlikable bitch as antagonist. Ahh well. At least her English isn't that bad(most times). She could be even more annoying if it wasn't for that.
NanashiSep 7, 2014 12:59 PM
Sep 10, 2014 11:52 AM

Jun 2013
Very nice episode!! I gotta say, i wasn't a big fan of the first 3 episodes, but episodes 4-7 have been fantastic! And im really enjoying the development between twelve and Lisa, its suttle but you can tell that twelve actually cares about her! :)
Sep 10, 2014 8:30 PM

May 2009
Random thought, but could VON stand for like 504?
Sep 11, 2014 2:08 AM

Jun 2013
TripleSRank said:
I have one very important question: How do you predict the location of a checkmate in chess before you play?

Any takers? No?

Where in the show does it ever say 9 and 12 (or 5) predicted the location of a checkmate before they played? The whole reason you see 9 running around for the first half of episode 7 is because 5 and 9 are playing the game. 5 projects a move on the screen and 9 makes his move by moving to a certain location in the airport. 9 eventually looks far enough ahead to predict a checkmate (which is very much possible after you've made sufficient amount of moves), and relays the position of the final piece that will lead to a checkmate to 12.

TripleSRank said:
Also, planes don't work that way. Autopilot wouldn't do that. It's comparable to thinking cruise control will drive your car for you.

Congrats you know a little more about planes than the majority of MAL, but I don't see how that's relevant to anything.

TripleSRank said:
The use of chess made no sense in the first place, anyway. Five wants to play with Sphinx? Seriously? If we assume she could have placed the bomb on the fly (negating the above), she could have blew the bomb without all of that fanfare. It would have been much more clean and she wouldn't have Shibazaki on her back. Heck, she could have put it directly in the terminal rather than on the plane, and killed Lisa later. It's common sense. -.-;

Lol can't say much here. It's not really revealed why she would use the chess method, besides the fact that 5 and 9 have an unfinished game from the past. I feel like the writers just wrote something interesting and didn't realize how stupid it was until it was aired.

"It's common sense." Wow, it's common sense to you to know how to efficiently blow up airports? You're amazing.

TripleSRank said:
The character depth wasn't touched. I honestly have no idea where they plan to take this now. The whole plot seems to have derailed.

You expect character depth to be touched in a tense situation of having to save Lisa and all of Haneda Airport from getting bombed within a certain time limit... lol such high expectations. The whole plot only seems to have derailed if you keep treating every single thing about the show as "not making sense," when you're really just confusing yourself by asking random questions like "How do you predict a checkmate before you even play?"

TripleSRank said:
It's a plot hole. There are situations where more than one piece can move to a given square. While she did call out her moves, which piece was moved wasn't indicated on the monitors, which is pretty important in this odd sort of situation, no?

You should do some research on chess if you're going to criticize the show for using it. Moves like "Nh2" means Knight to h2, unless you really thought there was a space on the chessboard that reads "Nh." And if you're wondering then how does Nine convey which move he wants to make? He needs to basically move to the location of the piece that he wants to move and move to the location of the airport that he wants to move the piece to.
Sep 11, 2014 4:13 AM

Nov 2011
pakoko said:
TripleSRank said:
I have one very important question: How do you predict the location of a checkmate in chess before you play?

Any takers? No?

Where in the show does it ever say 9 and 12 (or 5) predicted the location of a checkmate before they played? The whole reason you see 9 running around for the first half of episode 7 is because 5 and 9 are playing the game. 5 projects a move on the screen and 9 makes his move by moving to a certain location in the airport. 9 eventually looks far enough ahead to predict a checkmate (which is very much possible after you've made sufficient amount of moves), and relays the position of the final piece that will lead to a checkmate to 12.

This is assumes she can place the bomb quickly and without being noticed by airport staff. I find that to be a stretch for the FBI since they're in Japan, but if said assumption is correct, see the below.

pakoko said:
TripleSRank said:

Congrats you know a little more about planes than the majority of MAL, but I don't see how that's relevant to anything.

She couldn't have delivered the bomb that way. That's pretty relevant.

pakoko said:
TripleSRank said:

Lol can't say much here. It's not really revealed why she would use the chess method, besides the fact that 5 and 9 have an unfinished game from the past. I feel like the writers just wrote something interesting and didn't realize how stupid it was until it was aired.

"It's common sense." Wow, it's common sense to you to know how to efficiently blow up airports? You're amazing.

'Ignoring the first paragraph since you seem to agree.

Regarding common sense: I didn't say that it was common sense to know how to efficiently blow up airports. Don't misread. Five is being sold to us as a woman who was once a gifted child who received special training to make the most of her intelligence. If one has the know-how and capability to place bombs undetected quickly, as is required for Five to do what she did as per your own argument above, then yes, it is common sense to do so without drawing attention to yourself. Five could have skipped the whole chess game and blew whatever portion of the airport she wished. Shibazaki and co. wouldn't have found out it was her, and Sphinx would have taken all the blame. It's much cleaner that way.

Even if she played her chess game anyway for some currently unexplainable reason (other than being a bit delusional, I guess), Five could have waited to kill Lisa another time. By placing Lisa with the bomb, Five alerted Nine and Twelve to its location, and by proxy Shibazaki. That's a stupid decision: When you're committing a terrorist attack, especially one that you're trying to blame on someone else (and especially when that someone is trying to stop you), you don't draw attention to the threat or yourself.

Yet further, had Five placed the bomb in (for illustration's sake) a bathroom and tied Lisa up in said room, there would be no reason for someone to attempt to stop a plane in the air tower where she just so happened to be. When you combine that with the incapability of a plane to move on its own like that in the first place, the narrative becomes somewhat moronic. Shibazaki shouldn't have been able to discover that Five was behind this, beyond plot holes (the plane's "cruise control") and dumb planning on Five's part.

pakoko said:
TripleSRank said:

You expect character depth to be touched in a tense situation of having to save Lisa and all of Haneda Airport from getting bombed within a certain time limit... lol such high expectations. The whole plot only seems to have derailed if you keep treating every single thing about the show as "not making sense," when you're really just confusing yourself by asking random questions like "How do you predict a checkmate before you even play?"

Are you implying that tense situations don't provide good opportunities for character development? I'm not saying this would make good narrative sense or that it should have happened, but for example's sake, what if Nine had shot Five? That would have opened the doorway for quite a bit of character development. They didn't provide themselves with any good way to develop the characters in the airport when they could have. (Heck, they could have done something totally different than this airport scenario if they wanted to.)

Given that very little, if any character development has taken place over the course of the series, it is a negative. I don't think expecting some form of character development in the show is asking too much. Main characters shouldn't be flat as a general rule.

Also, I'm not confusing myself in the least with the chess prediction question, which I addressed under the first quote. Five would either have to predict far ahead of time or be able to place bombs quickly and without detection. Ad hominems like that will get you nowhere.

pakoko said:
TripleSRank said:

You should do some research on chess if you're going to criticize the show for using it. Moves like "Nh2" means Knight to h2, unless you really thought there was a space on the chessboard that reads "Nh." And if you're wondering then how does Nine convey which move he wants to make? He needs to basically move to the location of the piece that he wants to move and move to the location of the airport that he wants to move the piece to.

3:36 - "D4" alone is shown on the monitor.
4:43 - "D4".
5:00 - "C4".
5:58 - "...Nc3". (This isn't even shown to Nine, as far as I can tell.)
6:14 - "E3".
7:28 - "Bd3".
7:50/51 - "Nh3".
(moves not shown for awhile)
9:41 - "(Nine's) N x f4".
9:49 - "Nh2". (Lolwhat?)
10:07 - "A1 equals Q. Checkmate."

Alright, you got me here. I actually do know chess notation, but I wasn't paying close attention after the last episode butchered the chess portrayal. I only paid attention to the first few monitor showings, I guess, which only showed the locations. Those would make sense in context without specifying the piece, as there were no other pieces that could move to the specified locations.

Since I'm now looking at it in-depth, the best I can posit with what we were given is that there were many moves which weren't shown in the gap I specified. I've found a new can of worms, though. The game still doesn't make sense for the following reasons:

The red/dark pieces should be Nine's since Five is shown moving a white piece during the beginning of the episode, and in Nine's brief internal picture of the chessboard (9:56-10:04) his knight is indeed shown to be at f4. However, Nh2 isn't possible for Five because she doesn't have a knight on the board that can move there. At that, Five's queen is shown to move somewhere mid-board (which wasn't specified at all) and suddenly Nine's pawn checkmate's Five's King, when there was no possible way for his pawn to do so.

The thing is, it was portrayed as Five winning, when in fact Nine was shown to win. Even if we say the animators got the colors wrong and swapped said colors (which leads to board placement errors), Five shouldn't be checkmating Nine on her own side of the board. It's just nonsense.

The whole chess business should have just been skipped tbh. It's opened up too many problems.

As an aside, it's a bit late here, so please be forgiving of any typos/grammar issues I may have overlooked.
TripleSRankSep 11, 2014 4:20 AM
Sep 11, 2014 5:24 AM
Jul 2018
Am I the only one to think 5 has terrible english and the actress should not have been picked for the part? I know the series is very good and this should not be a factor when talking about the show but it really annoys me. All of the other characters who talk a fair bit of english have good english and good prononciation but 5??? C'mon...if you're going to pick someone who talks 50-50 in the series please be more carefull with the picks...
Sep 11, 2014 9:43 AM

Jun 2013
TripleSRank said:

This is assumes she can place the bomb quickly and without being noticed by airport staff. I find that to be a stretch for the FBI since they're in Japan, but if said assumption is correct, see the below.

Yeah I think we have to assume that. Since the bomb was in a briefcase, it was probably hard to notice anything out of the ordinary by the police. Also we have to assume that Five knew where the game would generally end, so she asked Clarence to place the bomb on a plane (and throw an "extended the invitation" to Lisa) so it's more flexible as to where she can drive the plane to. But that's extra assumptions that's not directly said by the anime, so I understand your frustration.

I think we both agree at this point that the airport chess scene is full of things that don't really make sense when thought out logically.

TripleSRank said:

Wait, I thought someone was controlling the plane's movement from the control tower. You're saying people can't control airplanes to move to a certain location after inputting coordinates? The plane wasn't on autopilot, it was being maneuvered by someone the in the control tower.

TripleSRank said:
Regarding common sense: I didn't say that it was common sense to know how to efficiently blow up airports. Don't misread.

Lol I thought you were referring to your common sense.

TripleSRank said:
Five is being sold to us as a woman who was once a gifted child who received special training to make the most of her intelligence. If one has the know-how and capability to place bombs undetected quickly, as is required for Five to do what she did as per your own argument above, then yes, it is common sense to do so without drawing attention to yourself. Five could have skipped the whole chess game and blew whatever portion of the airport she wished. Shibazaki and co. wouldn't have found out it was her, and Sphinx would have taken all the blame. It's much cleaner that way.

Even if she played her chess game anyway for some currently unexplainable reason (other than being a bit delusional, I guess), Five could have waited to kill Lisa another time. By placing Lisa with the bomb, Five alerted Nine and Twelve to its location, and by proxy Shibazaki. That's a stupid decision: When you're committing a terrorist attack, especially one that you're trying to blame on someone else (and especially when that someone is trying to stop you), you don't draw attention to the threat or yourself.

Yet further, had Five placed the bomb in (for illustration's sake) a bathroom and tied Lisa up in said room, there would be no reason for someone to attempt to stop a plane in the air tower where she just so happened to be. When you combine that with the incapability of a plane to move on its own like that in the first place, the narrative becomes somewhat moronic. Shibazaki shouldn't have been able to discover that Five was behind this, beyond plot holes (the plane's "cruise control") and dumb planning on Five's part.

Well, you're right. The airport scene really doesn't redeem itself even after I've rewatched it, so I can't necessarily say why Five would have made such a big show about things if she had the means to do it in a much more boring but safe way. I'm sure the writers for those episodes were not great. I heard there were different writers for every 3 episodes or so, so we see a huge dip around 6 and 7.

One thing I do want you to be clear on though:

Five did not take Shibasaki into account. She didn't expect Shibasaki and co. to come to the airport. She didn't even know who they were since she put all of the Japanese police force on standby. She didn't expect them to show up and ruin her plans, nor did she know that 9 had connections to someone like Shibasaki. She thought she could make a big show of things because she thought the airport would be a controlled environment in which she can do anything and no one will come to stop her. It's analogous to 5 overlooking a bunch of mice trapped in a cage, but she didn't see that one of the mice in her other cage, Shibasaki, had escaped to bite 5 in the ass by surprise. So despite the fact that Five's plan was overblown, she legitimately thought she would have succeeded in ruining 9 and 12's plans and killing Lisa at once: killing two birds with one stone. She felt the freedom to carry out her plan however she wanted, and she even put 9 and 12 in a situation in which they would be forced to make a hard decision of whether they should save Lisa or save the people at the airport. Without Shibasaki, her plan would have worked no matter how unnecessarily complex it was. The key point here is "without Shibasaki," so Five didn't know that her games were catching the attention of a third party.

TripleSRank said:
Are you implying that tense situations don't provide good opportunities for character development? I'm not saying this would make good narrative sense or that it should have happened, but for example's sake, what if Nine had shot Five? That would have opened the doorway for quite a bit of character development. They didn't provide themselves with any good way to develop the characters in the airport when they could have. (Heck, they could have done something totally different than this airport scenario if they wanted to.)

Sorry, I don't do "what ifs." I accept what the story ends up doing and go from there, I will never complain about what could have been done. Anyway, there was no way they could fit in character development with all the other stuff happening in that episode. If the writer took the route that you preferred -- 5 carrying out a much cleaner plan to capture 9 and 12 -- then yes, they could have squeezed in some character development.

Well, this show doesn't seem that it will go into any more character development than we expect, so I can only say that we should lower our expectations in terms of character development.

TripleSRank said:
The whole chess business should have just been skipped tbh. It's opened up too many problems.

Thank you for going through the trouble of finding all the problems with the actual chess game. It made me realize that it's sorta useless to try and explain the airport chess scene to anyone satisfactorily when the show itself makes so many mistakes. No argument there.
Sep 11, 2014 1:57 PM

Nov 2011
pakoko said:
TripleSRank said:

Yeah I think we have to assume that. Since the bomb was in a briefcase, it was probably hard to notice anything out of the ordinary by the police. Also we have to assume that Five knew where the game would generally end, so she asked Clarence to place the bomb on a plane (and throw an "extended the invitation" to Lisa) so it's more flexible as to where she can drive the plane to. But that's extra assumptions that's not directly said by the anime, so I understand your frustration.

I think we both agree at this point that the airport chess scene is full of things that don't really make sense when thought out logically.

Another problem: Why didn't she knock Lisa unconscious? Nine and Twelve wouldn't have found out about the plane had Five done so.

pakoko said:
TripleSRank said:

Wait, I thought someone was controlling the plane's movement from the control tower. You're saying people can't control airplanes to move to a certain location after inputting coordinates? The plane wasn't on autopilot, it was being maneuvered by someone the in the control tower.

I'm not saying it's technologically impossible. Military drone planes are proof enough that planes can be remote-controlled, even in flight. No normal civilian airliner would have that capability, though. The control tower can't move the plane independently from the pilot (or lack thereof).

This actually prevents airplanes from being hijacked via network. If the control tower can't remotely control a plane, neither can a terrorist.

pakoko said:
TripleSRank said:

Well, you're right. The airport scene really doesn't redeem itself even after I've rewatched it, so I can't necessarily say why Five would have made such a big show about things if she had the means to do it in a much more boring but safe way. I'm sure the writers for those episodes were not great. I heard there were different writers for every 3 episodes or so, so we see a huge dip around 6 and 7.

One thing I do want you to be clear on though:

Five did not take Shibasaki into account. She didn't expect Shibasaki and co. to come to the airport. She didn't even know who they were since she put all of the Japanese police force on standby. She didn't expect them to show up and ruin her plans, nor did she know that 9 had connections to someone like Shibasaki. She thought she could make a big show of things because she thought the airport would be a controlled environment in which she can do anything and no one will come to stop her. It's analogous to 5 overlooking a bunch of mice trapped in a cage, but she didn't see that one of the mice in her other cage, Shibasaki, had escaped to bite 5 in the ass by surprise. So despite the fact that Five's plan was overblown, she legitimately thought she would have succeeded in ruining 9 and 12's plans and killing Lisa at once: killing two birds with one stone. She felt the freedom to carry out her plan however she wanted, and she even put 9 and 12 in a situation in which they would be forced to make a hard decision of whether they should save Lisa or save the people at the airport. Without Shibasaki, her plan would have worked no matter how unnecessarily complex it was. The key point here is "without Shibasaki," so Five didn't know that her games were catching the attention of a third party.

"Plan for the unplanned". While I do agree that Five was unaware of Shibazaki's involvement, any good plan should account for things going wrong. Very few plans in real life actually play out perfectly. That's why her plan needed to be cleaner and more efficient. We do seem to agree that the purpose of the chess game is vague, so perhaps we can speculate that Five is arrogant and careless rather than analytical and methodical: She fancied herself so intelligent that her plan couldn't possibly fail, even if it was incredibly overblown.

I wouldn't expect such a typical villain weakness in a show that tries to push realism, but if the chess game or plane scene are any indication, this episode in particular was far off in that department.

pakoko said:
TripleSRank said:

Sorry, I don't do "what ifs." I accept what the story ends up doing and go from there, I will never complain about what could have been done. Anyway, there was no way they could fit in character development with all the other stuff happening in that episode. If the writer took the route that you preferred -- 5 carrying out a much cleaner plan to capture 9 and 12 -- then yes, they could have squeezed in some character development.

Well, this show doesn't seem that it will go into any more character development than we expect, so I can only say that we should lower our expectations in terms of character development.

Again, don't misunderstand. I'm not saying I actually wanted that to happen, or even that it should have happened. I'm not the author here. Still, it does show that you can provide situations that lead to character development, even in a scenario like this. That was all I was saying there.

Well... that sorta touches on the way I review/rate. I'm not sure if I should get into that here. To keep it short, I do keep in mind the genre, tone, and (story) style, but there are certain things that I will count as a negative no matter how long we go without them. Since this isn't a story with the intention of exploring the problems within a certain character type, having three dimensional characters with believable motivations and/or internal conflicts for the mains isn't asking much. I'll go into it a bit more on your profile, if you don't mind.

I like you. You're a pretty reasonable guy.
Sep 22, 2014 2:41 AM

Dec 2011
I needed that, to restore my interest in this series. Good episode. Or rather, good second half of the episode. The first half was as weak as the last one was.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Feb 2011
rAPPUU GFACE
Sep 23, 2014 6:43 PM

Jul 2013
Damn I knew letting that newbie, Lisa, will be their undoing. Doing something as easy like that and she acted like she just murdered a lot of people. I don't know but if I was her I can act as if nothing happened and not because I'm used to doing that but because of my fear of getting caught. Sometimes fear is the greatest motivation.

And why the fuck do the police higher ups gave the FBI the permission to handle this domestic problem? hmmmm..

I hope Lisa learns her lesson and just stay in the house, go to the kitchen, cook for them and be useful. Oh wait the bitch know nothing about cooking.. smh..

What will be the use of having Lisa's I.D. I wonder? Well aside from having her picture. Because she's not living in her past address anymore and I doubt she's still going to school.

I need a flashback of Five. Some explanation about her is necessary. I't can be that she's doing all this because it's fun. I'm tired of villains like that.
Sep 25, 2014 11:40 AM

Jan 2014
Damn.. that was intense!
Sep 26, 2014 1:58 PM

Jun 2011
Lol @ Sphinx number 1's "adieu".

Seriously, just arrest Five already, while she brings serious threat, she's a boring character. How the hell did she spot Lisa almost instantly, I know she was panicking but still..

PrimeX said:
Damn I knew letting that newbie, Lisa, will be their undoing. Doing something as easy like that and she acted like she just murdered a lot of people. I don't know but if I was her I can act as if nothing happened and not because I'm used to doing that but because of my fear of getting caught. Sometimes fear is the greatest motivation.
Take into account that she was just a normal girl until not too long ago, and a girl, not a guy.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 27, 2014 7:38 AM

Nov 2013
I really, really hate 5. I hope she gets brutally mutilated and murdered.
Oct 1, 2014 10:39 PM

Dec 2013
Decent episode i guess, but i feel that this show is taking an unrecoverable nose dive. The cause? Five. While she does make the show more dramatic, the show was already doing just fine without her imo.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Oct 4, 2014 2:54 AM

May 2014
Five is getting really annoying. She is not the badass type of antagonist.

The ending was so good ... especially when Shibazaki saw Nine as Sphinx 1 :D
Oct 6, 2014 7:50 AM

May 2014
Much better than episode 6. I really hate Five though.
IronstormOct 6, 2014 10:46 AM
Oct 13, 2014 4:52 AM

Feb 2008
Of course, he held the gun at her head and decided not to shoot because...? Oh yeah, the show needs to go on for another four episodes. Five is a really terrible character. So far she's crazy for the sake of being crazy. Oh yes, those characters are great right.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Oct 14, 2014 3:17 PM

May 2012
Good that they saved Lisa but now that 5 know's who she is this can't be good! Let's see what happens next!
Oct 15, 2014 2:38 AM
May 2012
Ha, bitch!! You just got owned by 9!!
Hey, it's kinda impossible to pinpoint Lisa just like that. Bitch doesn't even know her.
Looks like 12 now likes Lisa :3 That was a nice explosion.

pakoko said:
"You should have sacrificed your queen" -Nine to Twelve in episode 4.

These words are foreshadowing the consequences Nine and Twelve must face because they now BOTH decided to make Lisa an accomplice. Five will surely make Nine and Twelve regret letting Lisa on board, but I'm not looking forward to it :(

Just your typical cat-and-mouse chase with a "just in the nick of time" resolution. Nonetheless an intense episode.

The only thing that bothered me was the lack of attention to the chess game. For anyone who's not familiar with chess, it literally seems like they are just spouting out moves. I thought there would be a greater meaning and reason to playing chess (of all games) in an airport, besides determining the location of the bomb, but the chess and the bombing didn't go too well in my opinion.

Yup, this is what I think, too.
Oct 24, 2014 5:14 PM
Oct 2014
The terrible English voice acting by "5" ruined the entire thing from me......the American agents did a good job but it was like "5" weren't even trying....and it ended up being terribly painful to listen to.
Oct 28, 2014 10:29 AM

Dec 2008
That bitch is nice and crazy! Nine should have shot her first and then asked about her motivations later. I doubt any one of them will make it out alive anyway.

Sent with Mal Updater
Nov 8, 2014 12:23 PM

Dec 2010
This was a good resolvement, but I really hate that we'll still have to deal with Five. Can't she die already?

This is calling for S2 or it'd turn out pretty unfulfilled.
Nov 10, 2014 9:52 PM

Mar 2013
Really good, intense episode.
Nov 24, 2014 2:29 PM

Oct 2013
Awesome episode,that Five sure is smart.

Nov 28, 2014 5:24 AM
Nov 2013
Five looks serious in her game and doesn't care of anyone who gets in the way if it means killing someone
This episode was like race against time but they somehow Escape >.>
Dec 17, 2014 7:35 PM

Aug 2013
So much happenings in one episode.. AWESOME.
That women is crazy. I don't like using hostage threats.
Jan 2, 2015 5:42 PM

Jun 2013
That was an intense episode.
I knew that Shibazaki would figure out that it's not the real Sphinx who are doing it.
Jan 4, 2015 5:21 PM

Nov 2012
Can someone explain how the chess game tied into the location of the bomb?

Other than that and 5's awkward english, the episode was pretty fucking intense
Jan 10, 2015 3:53 PM
Apr 2013
Barion-Zara said:
Intense stuff. Still don't get how they're allowing Five to do all this shit <_< It's ridiculous that she has this much authority.

amén
Jan 12, 2015 12:13 AM
Nov 2013
Why do people not suspect what 5 is doing though? Assuming everyone in the control room was part of her team, and the security room as well, there are still other authorities present at the airport and also the media/press. What about the armed forces guarding the control room? Has she replaced everyone with her own team? What is her status anyway?

Doesn't it seem weird to anyone that the "head of police" is trying to drive a plane loaded with bomb into the airport?

Too many convenient excuses for my liking
Jan 19, 2015 10:13 AM
Jan 2012
I can see why others think the show started going downhill after Five's introduction. She is such an unpleasing character. The way she talks to others, her design, her voice, everything about her is annoying. Besides, how come Five's stupid plan of putting a bomb in an airplane and piloting it towards the airport was accepted? As the poster above said, it is definitely weird.

On the bright side, it was nice to see Lisa doing something useful for once. Twelve values her life and I think he is going to die or get caught because of her.

7 of 12 episodes watched and I still don't get why this show gets so much praise.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

880 by alippskuy »»
Sep 23, 10:37 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

379 by Harvestor »»
Sep 2, 11:39 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

349 by Ryshock »»
Aug 27, 1:01 PM

» Can i watch this with my dad?

sangonomiya_k - Jul 18

31 by anne146 »»
Aug 9, 7:51 AM

» Boring

egosumjkm - Aug 30, 2023

23 by Animefan13923 »»
Jul 28, 11:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.