Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 16, 2014 4:01 AM

Feb 2012
100/10.

my god this show is AMAZING. Everything flows great and the characters are fucking great despite having very minimal screen time for each character. That really says something about the execution of the show. We're not close to finishing the story but I pretty much know this show is going to be at the number 1 slot for animes of the year for me.
May 16, 2014 4:04 AM

Jan 2008
Great episode! I really like the contrast they showed between players with real talent such as Smile and Kazama and the others who play just for fun or could not make it into the greats. Those with talent just destroy everyone else, but at the same time they alienate themselves from the others which is why we could see both Smile and Kazama were really alone during Christmas, whereas the rest were surrounded by people they love. It was a really nice contrast.

I think the symbolism with Peco here is that he will get to Smile's level and save him from this loneliness he feels because he is so much better than everyone else. Excellent character development in so few episodes. Masaki Yuasa can really make the most out of the time and budget he gets.
May 16, 2014 4:17 AM
Sep 2011
Man. How is Ping Pong so stupidly good! Its just on another complete level compared to just about every other sports anime.

Amazing episode. So glad to see Peco is back in the game
May 16, 2014 5:23 AM
Nov 2009
Man, Ping Pong is great, no doubts.
Lol at the eyebrows guy staring at picture of the Dragon's girl on the ceiling and scattered napkins lying around. That or maybe i just have a nasty mind.
May 16, 2014 5:38 AM

Jan 2011
I love this so much.
May 16, 2014 6:08 AM
May 2014
Finally the rating is the same as Ping Pong Club. This may not be AoTS with Mushishi airing, but surely it is the most underrated series of the season.
May 16, 2014 6:30 AM
Sep 2011
lichtjahre said:
Finally the rating is the same as Ping Pong Club. This may not be AoTS with Mushishi airing, but surely it is the most underrated series of the season.

Both this and Sidonia have crappy ratings simply because people judge the art from the first episode, or simply rating anything with different art lowly
May 16, 2014 6:36 AM

Apr 2009
This anime is of the quality that made me fall in love with anime in the first place.
Yuasa, give me more - my body craves it.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
May 16, 2014 6:40 AM

Mar 2008
Nidhoeggr said:
This anime is of the quality that made me fall in love with anime in the first place.
I'd assume that we would have to give a fair share of the praise to Matsumoto and his manga as well.
May 16, 2014 6:48 AM

Apr 2009
Ckan said:
Nidhoeggr said:
I'd assume that we would have to give a fair share of the praise to Matsumoto and his manga as well.

Obviously, this is a match made in heaven.
And now, back to fangasm over this episode.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
May 16, 2014 7:03 AM
Apr 2012
Haha Kong really is adapting to life in Japan, karaoke was fun. Peco got his drive back after a near death experience. Looking forward to more of him getting back to his best. Smile still bossing it but looked sad on christmas. Great episode.
May 16, 2014 7:21 AM

Sep 2013
- China and his m other ♥♥♥♥
- when they prepare the wonton was an amazing part .
- and i loved the Karaoke.
- what exactly the roll of mountain guy ?
- poor Yurie .
- is sanada fall in love with Yurie.
- Obaba Loves Peco "great"
May 16, 2014 7:36 AM
Aug 2012
the song from Kong on karaoke

MIDNIGHT FLIGHT - Shogo Hamada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3xusvhtLfY

80s song
abecyoMay 16, 2014 7:55 AM
May 16, 2014 7:54 AM
May 2014
airbehindbirds said:
Did Kazuma's girl imagine her holiday company? At first we see she and Kazuma together, but later she comes home and deletes the message. I'm confused.

yeah, the first part was the girl's imagination. The fact is Dragon didn't see the message because he needed training to keep winning.
May 16, 2014 8:43 AM

Sep 2011
wenge is speaking japanese!!!! wow that seiyuu is really good im impressed :D + cute accent x3

peco peco pecoooo welcome back dude <3333
"gonna propose to me? dont do it if u dont mean it" lol i love this grandma

'attack on robot' lol
May 16, 2014 10:16 AM

Jul 2013
What an intense episode, showing just how thick and rich this show really is.

Absolute winner.
May 16, 2014 10:39 AM

Feb 2008
Absolutely brilliant episode!
This series has more character development in 1 episode, than some series during their full duration.
May 16, 2014 12:06 PM

Feb 2012
pacify said:
lichtjahre said:

Both this and Sidonia have crappy ratings simply because people judge the art from the first episode, or simply rating anything with different art lowly

I'm still a little irked by this not because I care what some middle school weeaboos think of such a great anime like this, but the fact that some may gloss over it because of a stupid MAL rating.
May 16, 2014 2:34 PM
May 2014
jimjameswhatever said:
pacify said:
lichtjahre said:

I'm still a little irked by this not because I care what some middle school weeaboos think of such a great anime like this, but the fact that some may gloss over it because of a stupid MAL rating.

Just found someone who rated 2/10 and dropped after 1 episode. Then I checked out that guy's profile. He rated High School DXD a 10/10.

I see these people's point:
art styles that you cant fap to = crap
May 16, 2014 5:12 PM
Aug 2012
-Foreshadowing that someone, particularly the "hero" is going to stop the "robot" aka Smile. Though I have a suspicion the phrase had a double meaning. Sure it's hinting towards Peco stepping up to try and dethrone Smile, but it may also hint towards Dragons demise.

-Smile has now completely started to take Ping Pong series. Though I have to wonder, how much of this is from his own will? How much of this is butterfly Joe living vicariously through smile?

- We see some of the upperclassmen transitioning into how their lives will be after they're finished with school. You have some studying to acheive their goals while others settling into a predetermined position. This has been a recurring theme: the transitional periods of young males. Actively striving for your goals vs letting things flow towards you.

-"Having a dream takes talent. Those without talent should stay out of it."

-Later in the episode we see smile sitting all alone in the dark "celebrating" Christmas. I think this is the first time Smile has truly been alone in this fashion. At least before when he was a kid he always had Peco there with him. Now he's ostracized everyone around him, all for the sake of getting better at Ping Pong.

-"I don't want to sacrifice things to play"

Great episode. Can't wait to watch next weeks episode of Attack on Robot.
May 16, 2014 6:40 PM

Apr 2012
A lot of this episode was original content and I'm so amazed that it was able to hold up, even that intro which seemed like pointless banter really does a great job at foreshadowing future outcomes. This episode just oozed atmosphere and gave a good amount of characterization to each of the characters, even the minor ones such as the captain with the weird hair. The ending sequence with Peco and Demon was perfect and really highlighted the kind of relationship they've had and how much they truly want to strive in ping pong no matter what their limitations are. The soundtrack was flawless once again and the karaoke track was definitely the highlight.

This adaptation is truly beating any and all expectations I had.
DurbikinsMay 16, 2014 6:52 PM
May 16, 2014 6:41 PM

Jul 2011
Aw, so Smile is alone, and Peco is the hero coming to take him down. ><
Dragon doesn't even notice the text, spending his Christmas training.

The sacrifice for Ping Pong.

I loved the wonton scene, funny and endearing. As well as Peco drifting off and Sakuma chasing him. That was hilarious.

jimjameswhatever said:

...not because I care what some middle school weeaboos think of such a great anime like this, but the fact that some may gloss over it because of a stupid MAL rating.

This! Especially this!l I'm glad that I'm not one of them. :P
The nice thing about airing series is that they are wild cards. Can be crap, average, or amazing. ^^v

Nidhoeggr said:

That moment when you find series like that. <3
MirorinMay 16, 2014 6:44 PM
May 16, 2014 7:45 PM
I Hate My Son

Dec 2011
This anime is so underrated.

That episode was heartwarming as fuck, when Kong and the gang made Wonton's and were just enjoying their Christmas, singing merrily.

Brought a huge smile to my face
May 16, 2014 9:41 PM

Apr 2013
jimjameswhatever said:
pacify said:
lichtjahre said:

I hope people put more stock in reviews rather than ratings.
Powerful eyebrows.
May 16, 2014 10:51 PM

Mar 2008
migohunter said:
jimjameswhatever said:
some may gloss over it because of a stupid MAL rating.
I hope people put more stock in reviews rather than ratings.

You need word of mouth, high ranking, or popularity if you want visibility on MAL. People need a passing interest before reviews come into play.
May 16, 2014 11:36 PM

Oct 2007
Kayro said:
Absolutely brilliant episode!
This series has more character development in 1 episode, than some series during their full duration.

It's pretty humbling. I wish shows like this got more attention but oh well, I think it would honestly be wasted on the majority of MAL posters anyway who just want instant gratification and something to latch onto, wank too (I should hope just verbally but sadly probably not) and hype up. Ping Pong contains nothing that would cause that to happen, there's nothing otaku related about it at all for people to latch onto for memes and "epicness" since it's about other things like character growth and coming of age and place and so it goes unnoticed.

So Peco really is the hero after all and used to own. Curious to find out what exactly happened to him and why he lost whatever edge he had and desire to play the game seriously let alone be the best. As for Smile, I'm starting to feel like he and Dragon are two sides of the same coin. Both are basically like robots who don't really do human emotions but one is fully dedicated to the sport ahead of all else and is probably going to lose his trophy girlfriend and possibly even teams support while the other just sees it as a passing fancy and way to kill time but is actually good at it and starting to get into a more competitive frame of mind which I think makes the possibility that he might be poached by Kaio more likely. Then you have Kong who is coming into his own around the same time and adjusting to life in Japan and even hanging out with those he used to disparage. The show has this almost surreal quality to it's direction and art style that makes it almost like an experience but I also have to marvel at just how much has transpired in the show with me only really noticing it on a subconscious level till now. Yeah this show is something else.
PeacingOutMay 17, 2014 12:10 AM
May 17, 2014 12:01 AM

Apr 2007
Things I loved:
the whirrr, clunk, clunk robot walking sounds when Smile was walking to the table.
Wenge's Japanese.
Wontons.

abecyo said:
the song from Kong on karaoke

MIDNIGHT FLIGHT - Shogo Hamada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3xusvhtLfY

80s song

oh god, thank you! I got as far as figuring out the artist was shogo hamada but I couldn't get the title. The entire karaoke/christmas sequence was beautiful.

basically the entire anime.
May 17, 2014 1:26 AM

Jul 2010
I can't believe I didn't want to watch the series because of the art...

Another great ep. So much character development. Sakuma is such a bro :D
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
May 17, 2014 4:23 AM

May 2012
02:50 ohhh yehhhh

17:58 LOOOL Seishun da ne

Peko's comeback.
7.5/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
May 17, 2014 7:37 AM

Aug 2013
Didn't expect it would be Sakuma to pull Peco out of his slump. Time for him to relearn his fundamentals.

I really love Kong. What an awesome character.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
May 17, 2014 8:42 AM
Oct 2012
Absolutely great development on Dragon, his father was a younger brother who abandoned the family and started a flower shop, went bankrupt, requiring Dragon to return to the main family, where every day the shame of his father's failure stares him in his face. This is what is driving him to be the best, to redeem his family's honor.

Smile, brilliant, turned robot to avenge Peco, and now is rampaging waiting for Peco, his only friend, to return. Will Peco defeat Smile? Perhaps, but only because of Smile's inability to defeat people he sympathizes with. But ultimately? My preference is that I want a fully integrated human Smile to transcend everything in the end. That Ping Pong isn't solely about technique, but about heart, and Smile, who has been so shut off from everything and everyone rises above.
May 17, 2014 9:20 AM

Apr 2013
Oh wow just keeps getting even more amazing
May 18, 2014 1:08 PM
Dec 2013
This is what we call absolute greatness.

Such a wonderful show. Teaches you many life lessons and the game 'Table-Tennis', itself is an outstanding one. You have to be patient, consistent, accurate, engaged, safe and face the fear of missing the ball. It's like living your life. This anime made me play this game and I was totally amazed that how great this game really is.
A genius author indeed!

Best anime this season!
May 18, 2014 5:23 PM

Aug 2008
I really like the script this episode, I could have noted quite a few nice quotes. :)

And Kong is a good person.
May 18, 2014 7:59 PM

Aug 2013
Man, I fucking love this anime <3

It look like Smile robot have awaken the hero he was waiting for so long :)
Now that Peko is serious, I'm sure he can respond to Smile expectation.

I was scared of what would happen to Kon, but he seem to have happiness in simple things.

I was pretty sure that Kazama wouldn't go to that date, he's a monster, even more than Smile because Kazame is a natural monster. Smile have become a monster for Peko.

All that montage of chrismas scene with that song in the background was amazing. Touched me deeply.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 19, 2014 2:52 PM

Feb 2011
Greatest episode so far. God that was good :D

Loved the song too, sounded very old school-ish.
May 19, 2014 3:21 PM

Jul 2010
This episode was utterly amazing, the best episode I've seen so far this season, no kidding. The development is superb btw.

Now I can see where they want to go with it.
May 20, 2014 12:55 AM

Jan 2011
Wenge has some nice development, his mom visit and able to mix with the rest, but he mastered the language a bit too fast...

Peco finally decided to be serious and retain his hero status while Akuma achieved enlightenment^^
May 20, 2014 6:14 AM

Nov 2011
You see, it all starts, like this............

1 - http://i.imgur.com/hRIySOs.jpg
2 - http://i.imgur.com/UgcqrE0.jpg
3 - http://i.imgur.com/pICMSav.jpg (oh my god...)
4 - http://i.imgur.com/BGSIoKe.jpg
5 - http://i.imgur.com/XpEyJPf.jpg (this scene and the lyrics...how antithetical compared to what's being shown...while the other players...)
6 - http://i.imgur.com/afi1YU2.jpg (I never really cared about him, but damn the character development...)
(next 3 images made me laugh while I was tearing up inside)
7 - http://i.imgur.com/936Hrpd.jpg
8 - http://i.imgur.com/KCkpEV1.jpg
9 - http://i.imgur.com/U9WNrE3.jpg
10 - http://i.imgur.com/2VgWxDY.jpg (beautiful...)
11 - http://i.imgur.com/F4ZFcUx.jpg (AGH THE LYRICS...)
12 - http://i.imgur.com/2WldcHr.jpg

AND THE LYRICS MAN

THE LYRICS

OH MY ACHING CHEST

It's not even fucking Christmas and it felt more like Christmas than the Christmas just last year.

This, is World Class Yuasa Masaaki directing.

The people going like "Man, Ping Pong? Who in the right mind would want to watch something as boring as that? And look at the cover, there are no cute girls and seishun otoko. Where are the boobs? Where's the moe?" seriously.....seriously............fuck.

Welp, this is a first for me guys. I am watching an ongoing classic/legend.

I wept like a sad sack when Wenge started singing. You see, this is the thing about anime like this. Realism to the max. Oh what's that? Not realistic? Surrealistic, metaphorical realism. Sheeeeeeeeit niggerrrrrrrs..............I love this. Goddamnit.
zetsu_shorenMay 20, 2014 6:45 AM
May 20, 2014 9:59 AM

Jul 2013
I really wonder what will happen to the mountain guy in the end. Will he end in a foreign country working on a wineyard and fall in love with the daughter of the winegrower?
May 20, 2014 3:56 PM

Nov 2012
Great episode. Liked the montage of getting little snips of everyones lives on Christmas and the interactions between Akuma and Peco was interesting to see. I've really grown to care for all of the characters as we've seen the struggles they've gone through and how the have grown and developed because of it. I'm really excited to see Peco becoming a passionate Ping Pong player again.

I wonder why when Jotaro smokes in JBA it is censored, but Peco smoking and eating vodka chocolates is fine in this. I feel like it isn't often in an anime where a high school character smokes and drinks from his depression and it felt really real and relate-able when Peco does.
Slaine did nothing wrong.
May 20, 2014 6:45 PM

Dec 2013
I loved Wenge's development. I wonder what will Smile do about the temptation of a better team since it looks like he's starting to get annoyed by how things are in his current one.
May 21, 2014 2:12 AM

Aug 2013
I finally get around to see this! Marathon the whole 6 episodes in a row and I demand more!
I thought I'm gonna stick to Nakamura Kenji only but Yuasa Masaaki changed the whole thing and now I'm gonna make Kaiba and Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei at highest priority (they're on-hold rn) and gonna watch all of his works.

That aside, as an animation student I LOVE the animation style, makes me wanna learn the irregular loose animation technique and apply it for my final year project. The characters, settings, plot-lines, everything are well done! Gave this 9, I would like to change it to 10 after it finishes airing.
May 21, 2014 9:51 AM

Sep 2011
china is easilly my favorite character, this series has some of the most realistic and well developed characters ive ever seen, theres more depth to these guys in just 6 episodes than full shows manage to convey.

definitely on the fast track to getting a 9 from me

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 22, 2014 5:16 AM

Feb 2010
Loving this series so far, Kong was freaking awesome in this episode.
Jun 8, 2014 2:40 AM

Sep 2013
I only recently started catching up and I need to be honest, this was deninitely the best episode of an anime this year (so far). Wenge and his buddies are so interesting, and on top of that, Peco is finally going to show the balls he lost some time ago... Pun not perhaps intended
Jun 19, 2014 6:15 PM

Nov 2012
Ah I remember making wontons like that too with my family. Definitely gives something I can relate to for someone with a Chinese background.
Jun 26, 2014 4:39 PM

Jan 2014
Ping Pong did it again. The quality is killing me.

In an episode literally filled with good things, the highlight was definitely China's development: witnessing how he managed to finally integrate his ping pong team and the bonds he created with the other players was incredibly satisfying. I could too relate to the cooking together custom as it's something we often do in family for Christmas. Man, I just love him and his mom. <3
The karaoke sequence of course was beautiful and the lyrics perfectly fitting for each and every character: they all lost in a way. But it's ultimately up to them whether or not they'll be able to recover and learn something meaningful from it.
I felt sorry for Kazama's cousin and Smile, tho: loneliness hurts.

That episode, like the others, also had some great bits of comedy, the type of comedy you'd find more often in your everyday life than in anime, and I love that.

Peco's development was another great thing about this episode : in sports and many other activities there are countless cases of very gifted peeps who just let their talent go to waste by making the wrong decisions. To that extent, Peco's case must be very relatable to a certain amount of viewers. Now we just have to wait and see if he'll be able to get his shit together and move forward, like Akuma was able to do after he realized he didn't have the talent.

tl;dr fantastic episode

PS: did I say that the comedy was great?
SapewlothJun 29, 2014 11:31 AM
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
Jun 28, 2014 8:46 PM

Nov 2012
Such an emotional episode ;__;

China and his teammates bonding while making wontons with his mom was nice.

Smile is too much of a robot,spending Christmas alone damn...

Glad Peco is returning to Ping Pong.
Jul 3, 2014 2:46 AM

Jan 2013
was dragon masterbating to her picture?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2014

396 by jas-samaaa »»
May 18, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2014

310 by minami6 »»
May 13, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Dub or Sub?

voidbreaker - Dec 7, 2015

7 by peterross »»
Mar 15, 5:01 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2014

160 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 21, 2023 2:04 AM

Poll: » Ping Pong The Animation Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2014

133 by Chfenj_ »»
Sep 20, 2023 9:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.