Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 3, 2014 3:14 AM

Jun 2013
Gaahhhh dammit this was a good manga. I wish he would've gone pro with Izawa, and even though it was great that ending was left really open I like my endings nicely wrapped up.
Feb 6, 2014 9:23 PM
Jun 2013
Amazing manga, but fuck the ending
Feb 16, 2014 12:06 AM

Aug 2012
He should've been a pro. But damn, this is still a satisfying series.
Mar 11, 2014 3:12 PM
Jul 2013
I dont think he is dead if you go to th chapter 181 page 20 you can she that he stood up and walk .And for those who say he is a ghost beucase if he wasn't he would go pro , think about it again he got stabbed by a guy that was same a he was, would that make he want to help guys like him ? And another proof that he is alive , is that at chapter 182 page 13 and 14 you can clearly see Mai waiting for someone and she was smilling.That's my theory and damn man, why didnt Mori Kouji explain about Yuu and if he did please send me the link so i can see
Mar 11, 2014 3:16 PM
Jul 2013
Murc said:
konpachi said:
Nah he wasnt a ghost, this is a realistic manga. For a bit I wasnt sure either, but what ghosts have stitches? I think he just wanted to disappear off the street and help others like himself. The way they talked was a bit odd, but it can be taken as he couldnt be there with them physically. Plus, his girlfriend looks like shes waiting for someone (as already said).

As much as I want to believe that he survived, I really don't think he did. Start by looking at the end of chapter 181, after he was stabbed. His life on the streets flashes through his mind, then we see his bloody footprints leading toward the light. He speaks of what his Holyland really is, like upon death, he reached a moral epiphany. If he truly believed that his Holyland was his friends, then at the end, wouldn't he be with them?

When you spoke of page 14, I think his girlfriend was really just listening to the gossip about her brother. Also, this guy that has done all the reading about Yuu's legend, needed Yuu to be there at that time in order for him to also find his Holyland.

When Masaki is getting ready to fight, they speak of how they wish Yuu was there, then when Masaki is going out into the ring, he says that he knows Yuu will be watching him. The way they are all acting, it seems like they know that he died. And, if he did survive, wouldn't Masaki know that he's stills dating his sister?

It seems like the Author just wanted to show that his spirit lived on, by showing him fight those guys at the end. It's kind of like the way that at the end of the Dragonball series, when Goku Jr and Vegeta Jr are fighting at the world martial arts tournament, Pan looks across the arena and sees Goku enjoying the fight. Both Yuu's spirit, and Goku's spirit were seen doing the things that they enjoyed.

Of course this is all my theory. Like I said, I would have rather seen a happy ending where Yuu actually survived and became a vigilante. But, as you said, this is a realistic manga. After the fight, when he told the kid that he wants to meet him again on the streets, he disappears. Where did he go? And how did he just vanish?
well there were a lot people there so yeah
Apr 29, 2014 6:18 PM

Dec 2008
Yuu definitely survived and I think the author tried to make it vague in that people could look at it both ways but if you take what the mangaka was trying to say about being optimistic and look at it from his view you can see that he definitely survived. Also the stitches are undeniable proof. This manga was epic. I guess we all have our own holyland mine must be the internet like so many others.
May 21, 2014 2:57 PM
Jul 2013
greyfox said:
He is definitely alive, you guys all missed it, chapter 182, page 14 in the 2nd box you see him walking to his girlfriend across the street from the boy he rescues.
OMG , how could i miss that.Thank you man really now , you have no idea how much i have been thinking about yuu being alive or dead.
(sorry for my english)
May 27, 2014 2:19 AM
Sep 2009
alcurad said:
Yuu is very much alive, here's the breakdown:

-The guy who stabbed his was a wimp, he couldn't have done much damage and Yuu was able to kick the knife out of his hand immediately after plus he got up and walked all the way to the open street.

- Masaki's match already ended when Yuu appears as you can see two girls talking about it in page 14 and one of them tells the other she taped it.

- Still on page 14 you can see Mai standing and looking at her watch, she looks like she's waiting for someone but more importantly notice the direction she's facing, then look at the panel right underneath where Yuu is walking towards Mai from the opposite direction.

- Yuu is 'white' because he no longer wears black clothing which he used as camouflage before, he's already graduated from the streets and instead of beating those thugs up he just scared them away, he doesn't need to wear black for an advantage as he's that good + it signifies how he went from the dark and low place he was in to a brighter one with so many friends by his side.

- You can clearly see his scar with stitch marks in page 20, what's a ghost doing beating thugs with stitch marks on his side? The manga doesn't really lean to supernatural.

In fact it has always had him come back after a defeat, the tone overall is a very optimistic one. This chapter especially was all good news as all the bad guys are defeated, Midorikawa gets released, Masaki is champion etc the author was being creative and wanted to end it by making people worry, but my conclusion based on all the previous evidence & the overall tone of the manga leads me to believe that Yuu was very much alive in this last chapter.

- Finally, Yuu couldn't possibly have kept doing his old routine for those 3 years anymore, he was going to meet Mai and chanced on the thugs, quickly dealt with it then went to her.

Perhaps he isn't with his friends in the ring being pro because he's doing what Masaki used to? i.e. waiting for someone to take his place? That's weakened by the fact that people were talking about his legend and mixing him with other people etc but still..

I like happy endings so that's what happened either way but come on guys, there is too much evidence that he is alive, how could you conclude he died instead:?

anyway you interpret this ending, I think it was a rush job or at least not properly executed, tbh that stabbing felt like an attempt to make things more interesting as the fights were getting stale towards the end, I mean Yuu was already a beast and his fight with Masaki wasn't as exciting as the others.

This in addition to another gripe I've had from the moment Mai showed up; the story could've been improved a lot by having a solid romance going on even as a side show, but she appears then disappears for months and it's like she never left, they get closer then kind of forget about each other etc, this is difficult to put to words but the romance bits left me unsatisfied.

But despite all that, those are just minor points, this manga is really awesome in the end, I couldn't stop grinning whenever Yuu improvised like when he kicked Taka or when Midorikawa went all ""dark arts" on his opponent, it's a good read and I'd recommend it to anyone.

THIS

and at page 14, Mai looks at the right, and on the other panel when the kid looks back, he looks for yuu, that was going to meet Mai, you can see that by the direction she's staring at while smiling and the direction the kid is going opposite to yuu. that plus the girls talking that they taped the fight make me conclude that he is alive.
Although is weird how their friends talk about him, it could be that he couldn't be there by their side watching the fight, but the fact thet the fight was already over when he was going to meet with mai means that they could've whatched it. And when he beat up those thugs at the end, he used izawa's combo. But this last part, that yuu watched the fight and did the same as him to the opponent, is only my toughts.

Anyway, it isn't sure that he will never become a professional, he seemed to have improved and is much younger than izawa. He still have time, maybe when he got stabbet he noticed that he couldn't leave the streets as it was. Maybe he should protect it like izawa did just until someone can take his place.

And, i think some chapters before, he asked for a job for other thug, even tought it had no dialogue, you could see that he was working there.
Jun 30, 2014 9:16 PM

Apr 2011
If he did actually die, then it would have been the worst ending ever. He conquered the street to simply end up getting stabbed by a random dude ? let's be real here...
Aug 15, 2014 1:46 PM

Feb 2014
The question is, how did he survive?

Regardless or whether Yuu survived or not, this is one hell of a great manga. It got kinda boring midway, but overall, I like it. Author did a great job. 10/10
Sep 15, 2014 11:20 AM

Mar 2013
it is one of the best mangas ever !
Sep 23, 2014 7:34 AM

Mar 2014
Wow, that was a great read. This series was fucking addicting like "True". 10/10
Sep 23, 2014 7:39 AM

Oct 2008
CrimsonMoon56 said:

Not even close.
Sep 24, 2014 4:33 PM

Oct 2012
amateur said:
CrimsonMoon56 said:

Not even close.

I agree that it's a bit far off being the best manga overall, but it's 100% sure my favourite martial arts manga at the moment of the post.
A manga where stamina of a person is actually considered, martial arts are pretty accurately describen and shown, MC is not some plot armor'd freak destined to win every single fight, romance is actually based much more logically than all those fan service crap nowadays..

If I had something to compare it with - it most likely would be vagabond, but vagabond is mostly pure kendo, so I wouldn't count it as martial arts manga.
As someone interested in martial arts - holyland is surely something that I would suggest reading even to someone, who isn't into manga but is into martial arts. Most of facts are close to truth and actually are helpful tips.
Sep 24, 2014 10:58 PM

Jul 2013
Hentaicheg said:
amateur said:

Not even close.

I agree that it's a bit far off being the best manga overall, but it's 100% sure my favourite martial arts manga at the moment of the post.
A manga where stamina of a person is actually considered, martial arts are pretty accurately describen and shown, MC is not some plot armor'd freak destined to win every single fight, romance is actually based much more logically than all those fan service crap nowadays..

If I had something to compare it with - it most likely would be vagabond, but vagabond is mostly pure kendo, so I wouldn't count it as martial arts manga.
As someone interested in martial arts - holyland is surely something that I would suggest reading even to someone, who isn't into manga but is into martial arts. Most of facts are close to truth and actually are helpful tips.

Truth! This may not be the best ever manga, but its has to be one of my personal favourites! The mangaka clearly understands his martial arts.

Yuu's development is definitely something to behold as well.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 5, 2014 7:05 AM

Jan 2014
This shit was amazing.
Nov 7, 2014 8:57 AM

Jan 2013
Good manga with a decent ending.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Nov 14, 2014 3:21 AM
Jul 2010
Hm. Just finished this and definitely found it enjoyable. Yea, he definitely isn't a ghost. They showed his stitches for a reason. Also, what we shouldn't forget is that while a knife may be sharp, it's also extremely hard to actually stab someone. To top that off, Yuu was absolute ripped. I seriously doubt that the knife even managed to go very far let alone hit an organ, especially considering the weakling who stabbed him.

Still, nice to see that Yuu and Mai were still together. And as others have pointed out, if you look at the "rumors" going around in the last chapter , it's clear that Yuu isn't really a big player in the streets anymore. He's taken a step back (like Mai's brother did), and is helping people from the sidelines. He's become a "legend", implying that his presence is fading, but his memory remains. This is prob the reason Mai's still with him, since it doesn't seem like she would be happy if he kept just fighting random people. But I can see her not being upset at him saving people.

That aside, was somewhat disappointed that the "epilogue" was only one chapter long. Definitely would have liked to see some more about what was going on in their lives after investing myself into almost 200 chapters. As far as Yuu not watching the title match, I think he would have liked to. But I don't think he could just sit back and watch the fight on tv when he could be helping people from getting the living tar beaten out of them. I do think it's a bit sad that Yuu and Masaki won't get their rematch, as there's no way a pro fighter (as Masaki has become) would risk their health in a non ring fight for fun, but that's life I guess.

Honestly, I think the author did a good job trying to make the end ambiguous. There *is* a decent argument that he's dead, and you can take it as you will. However, Mai IS smiling on page 14, and is looking in the direction Yuu is coming from . To top it off , it shows him in a crowd of people on page 27. And while saying "he was there" can indeed be past tense, in English it can also be present tense if it's made in observation. Combined with the fact he's walking down the street, I'm going to argue he's alive.

Still, definitely a fantastic read, sad there won't be a short story follow up or something.
kyuuri117Nov 14, 2014 3:41 AM
Nov 24, 2014 1:11 PM
Jan 2010
The epilogue pointlessly compromised not just the finale but the decision Yuu had made after building to it through the entire course of the manga. If there had been some kind of pay off for this about face it would have been more acceptable, but theres nothing. A pointlessly weak ending.
Feb 4, 2015 1:09 AM

Dec 2013
This was incredible. Glad to see Yuu is alive and well.

One of the most memorable manga I have ever read.

A well deserved 10/10
Jun 7, 2015 6:44 PM
Oct 2012
Oh damn, from chapter 181 I thought he would be dead.. Thank god, I've read too many manga with sad endings :c
Jun 26, 2015 8:40 AM

Feb 2014
Great manga one of the best I have ever read.
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jun 27, 2015 7:43 AM

Jan 2013
Anyone that thinks he is dead is either an idiot or they really want this series to have a sad ending.
Like people have said before Yuu had stiches and clearly he was fighting with those thugs.(Lol you gonna say those thugs were fighting a ghost? Gtfo.)

Anyway great manga, more series need to take note on how to write a well-paced action series.
Major123Jun 27, 2015 7:50 AM
Jul 2, 2015 5:01 PM

Jul 2012
That was pretty amazing. I really liked how fleshed out all the characters became and how it wasn't just a pure fighting "who's the strongest kid in this world?"
Jul 3, 2015 3:36 PM

Jul 2011
Pretty solid, although a bit repetitive and the score with Shougo was never really settled. However, I like that Kamishiro settled the match with Izawa and everyone's graduated from the streets...

I enjoyed it. The knife stab by the nobody was pretty cliche though. Monster and Banana Fish did the same thing. Though in this case looks like Kamishiro survived, and I'm sticking with that despite the way everyone talks as if he's dead. I think Kamishiro just never joined a sport, but left street fighting. He's just not a fighter anymore.
Aug 5, 2015 11:08 AM

Dec 2009
this manga spoke to my heart in so many ways
Aug 15, 2015 9:13 PM
Jul 2018
wow that was a fun ride although I can't lie, I thought the manga was a drag in the middle of it but in the end it really brought me back in to the story.

8 / 10
removed-userAug 15, 2015 9:25 PM
Aug 20, 2015 3:39 AM

Aug 2012
Great manga ... it is how you see kamishiro grow up on the whole series is definitely amazing itself.
Sep 12, 2015 8:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Very entertaining manga. I would have preferred it had ended with the fight with him and Aizawa and the message they had for the others. That was the core of this manga.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 8, 2015 2:08 PM
Apr 2014
deon89 said:
kiimsz said:

you sure he wasnt a ghost?

tho Mai seemed like she was waiting for someone

I agree too, and also one more thing, from the beggining the text of holyland (what I mean that text that begins "Between the adult world...") is in past tense, especialy "He was, without a doubt, there", I mean "He was", that is past tense. It is sad, very sad for everyone, especialy Mai.

Lololol no. Just finished the manga, and he's in no way dead. He's quite alive and well. A ghost did not kick the crap out of three guys while speaking to them, then have a conversation with the bullied kid before leaving. Not even sure why people seem to think he's dead. Because he's not wearing black anymore?

I doubt he's even a "Protector of the streets". I think he was just going to meet up with his girlfriend, saw a kid getting bullied, and stopped them. Simple as that.
Oct 13, 2015 12:51 PM
Oct 2014
-Yuu is alive
-Yuu is still together with Mai
-Yuu is probably training at a gym because he only knows street fighting, not competing. Plus they mentioned he was going to look at gyms in chapter 181.

No idea why Yuu couldn't go to Masaki's match though?
Oct 13, 2015 1:05 PM

Aug 2015
This is a great manga. Kind of wish Yuu made it to the pros, but whatever.
Oct 14, 2015 3:33 PM

Oct 2013
He's definitely not dead. Yuu had scar with stitches, he looked older, his clothes were new ones and those thugs couldn't get beat up and change their mind by themselves... It was the real Yuu. Since Yuu got attacked by that guy on chapter 181, he maybe want to avoid such 'failures' who drown in their darkness and can't escape from the harsh reality and that's why he saved this guy and told him that he can change. I share the same opinion with the other people, who mentioned him as the "guard" of the streets that he controls. He's the new charisma of the streets and he wants to keep the holyland as a place for people to escape there.

Nov 27, 2015 6:30 PM

Nov 2011
Pretty good series overall. The romance part felt lacking imo between Yuu and Mai but I really like the focus of character growth throughout the entire story. The fights were also nice too that made a lot of sense with the mechanics.

8/10.
I read this after someone's recommendation awhile ago so finally decided to finish it today.
Jan 5, 2016 11:53 AM
Jan 2016
Does Holyland play in Tokyo??
Jan 16, 2016 11:12 AM
Aug 2008
..... I don't get it, why he didn't go pro. And don't tell me how he is over-watching streets like Masaki did. Masaki didn't. He didn't care about wimps in the first place...

And Yuu was going to go pro, well first go to random gyms, try out things see what he likes and meet people, to become more sociable. He said so himself, before the fight with Masaki. And it seemed clear he will go pro after the fight with Masaki too.

This is a simply rushed work, that's it. The whole ending is weakly mediocre compared to the rest of the manga. Author wanted something eccentric, but fucked it all up completely.
May 19, 2016 8:49 PM

Mar 2016
There could be the possibility that Yuu was the one who fought masaki in the finals.
It showed him fighting while it described the fight, and also said he 'had' been on the streets -> he went pro

Furthermore the guard said that shoujo had a friend fighting, but him and masaki were not really portrayed as friends
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 21, 2016 5:31 PM
Aug 2016
If yuu was ded the Mai would be at masakis title fight and not chilling at a train station,yuu is alive and together with Mai,tho I bet he beat the crap out of the dude who stabbed him
Oct 31, 2016 1:56 PM

Jul 2015
Amazing manga overall, one of the best fighting/martial art story i've ever witnessed, read this in two sitting !

Now if you'll excuse me i feel like going in the street to beat tug...
Nov 28, 2016 10:39 AM
Mar 2015
I wanted to start a new discussion thread but I found this one so I assume bringing this back from the dead is better than starting a new thread.

I just finished reading the manga and I have to say it instantly become one of my favorites, was I the only one who was glad that Shougo beat the drug addiction and saved the day?
May 23, 2017 10:04 AM

Jan 2015
Very good manga, with awesome fighting sequences. Was frustrating to read at times, but that just shows how true to life it is. I'm satisfied with the ending, Yuu is alive, if the author wanted to leave it open, he would've ended at chapter 181 (which I feel is a fitting ending point), or wouldn't have showed Yuu at all in chapter 182.

I would've liked it if the author had touched a bit more on the family/societal aspect of being a delinquent more. Yuu's family is introduced briefly, but they never surface again, even though he still lives with them and you gotta expect them to realize he's coming home bruised and battered all the time. Same with the cops really, the only time they're relevant is to play the deus ex machina when Yuu's fights are over and he needs an out. The streets are treated a bit too much as an enclosed area, where nothing gets out and everything is dealt with from the inside. I understand it translates the mentality of a lot of thugs, but still.

Overall a good and poignant read. 8.5/10
Jul 12, 2017 8:15 AM
Dec 2016
Awesome Manga but last 2 chapters raise so many doubts x_x
"You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. " -Brihdaranyak Upanishad
Sep 5, 2017 2:15 AM

Mar 2016
Wow. what an amazing manga. Loved all the main characters, and I'm SUPER glad Yuu didn't die.
Oct 24, 2017 2:39 PM

Aug 2016
I just finished binge-reading this...and oh boy! It was definitely worth it! This manga is really great!❤️

I'm just hella confused about the ending though and I've read other peoples opinion about the ending aswell..

So I think that he is Alive..I think.

* Alive *
- Yuu is alive because I can't accept that after all he's been through, all the fights and even befriending most Thugs, that he will just die just because of a bullied wimp that he helped before in his school.
- Mai was shown in the last chapter waiting for someone (most likely Yuu)
- The random kid who was narrating at the last chapter came from Mai's direction and he saw someone who looks familiar to him going to Mai's direction
- Yuu saved him from Thugs
- Yuu's scar was shown (I don't think Ghost can have a scar?)

* Dead *
- He didn't become a pro
- How Shin said that he can't believe Yuu isn't with them
- How Masaki said that eveytime he goes to the ring, he can feel Yuu is watching him
- Yuu became a legend
- He was drawn a bit pale, it's like he was a faded character.

Ok so, it's possible that he appears to be bright or pale (drawn) because he isn't wearing dark clothes anymore and he seems more accepting of his life and himself, implying he left the thug hunter persona already..

God. I just don't know 😂 anyone?
Nov 5, 2017 5:54 AM
May 2012
kinda bummed with this ending, really. still, a good manga that i enjoyed reading.
i've always wanted to do martial arts, but never really had the chance and time....maybe someday. i also need to find my holyland.
Nov 26, 2017 11:04 AM
Sep 2016
Simply a masterpiece for me. Gritty, dark, sort of dystopian with well developed characters. I wish MC went into rage mode v the last villain, the blonde kenpo fighter. Really nice we had a romantic subplot aswell with Mai, and good friends and an older brother figure in Izawa aka the charisma of the streets. This manga is one ill never forget, like how the anime 'Monster ' is something I'll also never forget. They have you immersed in the story and have very real lessons
Apr 29, 2018 2:54 AM
Jul 2018
Alright read I guess. Pretty repetitive or formulaic in its structure, doesn't help that the opponents are not really memorable in any manner(which is quite a huge contrast to something like Ashita no joe). The tactics or explanations are the only things that keep it from being too tedious and somewhat interesting. The main cast is pretty well developed I would say, with the exception of Mai who is pretty much a character just there as a plot device or underwhelming romance. Overall, 7/10, entertaining read.
I think the ending is intentionally ambiguous although I refuse to believe that it's his ghost since it doesn't fit the nature of this series.
May 7, 2018 7:10 PM

Aug 2016
In the end, Yuu belongs to the streets, and the streets belongs to him. It´s his holyland.
This story is somehow the "anti-Ashita no joe". Impressive end. Last volume went from "wow, really good story" to "Am I realy caring about a ficitonal character integrity"?

MichaelJacksonMay 7, 2018 7:24 PM
:v
Aug 13, 2018 5:21 AM

Oct 2009
RIP bro. gonna luv & miss ya =)
Mar 24, 2019 2:58 PM

Aug 2018
I think it is pretty obvious that Yuu is alive and kicking.

Even if he was dead, this manga was AMAZING. A huge inspiration for someone, as Yuu pursued his holyland and, when he found it, he fought for it. Every character is great, and Yuu's evolution and personality are beautiful to see. A true favourite.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is there any possibility for Holyland to get an anime adaptation?

PentagramShogoki - Mar 21, 2019

16 by MackynCheese »»
Feb 16, 4:49 AM

Poll: » Holyland Chapter 31 Discussion

zq - Jul 25, 2008

3 by A_Perfect_Hunter »»
Nov 28, 2023 3:18 PM

Poll: » Holyland Chapter 138 Discussion

Komlan_6 - Jul 6, 2021

1 by Briquet »»
Oct 7, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Holyland Chapter 143 Discussion

Komlan_6 - Jul 6, 2021

1 by -DxP- »»
May 23, 2023 1:42 PM

Poll: » Holyland Chapter 136 Discussion

Komlan_6 - Jul 6, 2021

1 by -DxP- »»
May 23, 2023 1:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.