Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
May 8, 2013 5:52 AM

Aug 2008
It was a bit of a slow burner for me.

Absolutely love the art work on it and the soundtrack. Some times Chihiro's voice kinda grated on me after a while. But her and Renji were cute as.

I wasn't too bothered about Hirano/Miyako. Kei was a better choice for me. But yannow.

Rated 6/10 purely for the art/character drawings.

Didn't really feel very substantial to me. Idk.
Jun 14, 2013 11:16 AM

May 2013
the only arc i loved was about Chihiro and Renji it's pure sample that love can overcome all obstacles on the way and even make miracles (even in my own life it did).
10/10 masterpiece no questions asked.
Fiat justitia ruat caelum.
Hi there 👋, my name is Oskars, I am a Full Stack Engineer, with experience of over 15 years.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.
.fsociety
.rA9
Aug 26, 2013 8:40 PM

Jan 2013
I'm happy with the ending. At first, I thought I'd be disappointed since it looked like Renji would use those collected pages to make Chihrio remember. Thank goodness she remembered on her own otherwise it would have been a total cop out ending. This way, Chihiro's feelings are even further solidified and they both realize that they need each other.

The HironoxMiyako arc was weaker only because it was just a regular love triangle where one of the girls won and the other moves on. Don't get me wrong, I'm a complete sucker for that kind of drama and I really like Miyako so I enjoyed it very much. It just wasn't as powerful as the RenjixChihiro one. I will say though that the 2 phone scenes were very well done though.

In regards to this last episode, they wrapped things up with the character's realizations on the status of their dreams. This was touching but nothing incredible. I enjoyed this anime very much even though it's not as deep as I thought it'd be. I guess good romance/drama is always enjoyable for me :P

After melodies I plan to read the VN once I have time.
phantom19Aug 26, 2013 8:48 PM
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Aug 29, 2013 9:44 AM

Jul 2013
Very interesting episode.
In general - anime is awesome ))
Sep 3, 2013 5:09 AM

Nov 2012
Love :3
God this episode.. is the best one.. I really love it! XD
damn.. that ending bro!
that ending when chihiro still remember everything! YES!!!! XD almost best drama ever I watch after clannad :3 not bad :3 it is masterpiece I think (10/10)
Sep 9, 2013 8:43 PM
Jul 2018
Great ending!!
Oct 9, 2013 8:00 PM

Jun 2012
BronzeAge said:
13 hours is truly a long time...

Epic

Really great series, and what a great way to end it. 8 out of 10 from me.
Oct 12, 2013 8:50 PM

Jul 2013
The ending was so beautiful! I burst out with tears of joy when Chihiro recognized Reiji! Then Reiji went all of his way to find the missing pages! AWW, it was so beautiful!!!
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Oct 22, 2013 5:37 PM

Jan 2011
One interesting thing: Chihiro was never shown (besides when they were children, 4+ years ago) in the same scene, heck, not even in the same place (not even remotely, Kei playing basketball and Chihiro in the library) with Kei or Hirono. They didn't even talk over phone or anything, neither relayed a message to the other one through any of the other, and Kei and Chihiro rarely exchanged SMS.

Still, Kei and Chihiro appeared to be talking to each other off screen regularly, as they knew about some stuff that happened, like, Kei's accident.

Wonder if that was a deliberate choice.
Oct 28, 2013 12:08 PM

Sep 2011
So... Chihiro managed to remember everything about Renji is truly a miracle? I don't quite get that part.

Anyway, 8/10.

Too bad only Kei didn't get the "D".

Nov 6, 2013 9:23 PM

Mar 2012
The story was good overall with only a few things here and there that bothered me. Also liked the OP.

8/10.
Nov 9, 2013 11:09 AM

Jan 2012
wow, talk about a show just rising in expectations, started of rather slow if im honest but just before the half way point it just sky rocketed into something so much more! comedy, drama, love, anger, frustration, sadness, and what made it better is that this was relatable i could relate to this, which made some scenes really sad, a great anime, so glad i picked it up!

favourites? yeaaaaaaah!
Nov 20, 2013 11:07 AM

Sep 2011
I so knew she was gonna break the "curse" with the power of love... >_> So there ARE miracles after all.
Anyway, good ending. I'm glad it showed how the others are doing and even had a little part to connect it with Melodies.
I really can't believe that Kei just accepted everything so easily though...

All in all the anime was good, but as I said at the previous episodes, I really didn't like how they put two stories in one anime (I mean parallel to each other while having almost no connection other than Kei being the sister of Chihiro and the kind of the cause of her mental problem).
They really should have seperated them to the first and second half of the anime instead, following each other or something. I couldn't enjoy the seperate stories to the fullest because of having to watch the other half and wait till it's over to see the rest of the 1st story.
And since I was way more interested in the Miyako x Hiro story, I always kept losing my patience and getting bored while watching the Chihiro x Renji story. I mean that story was also good (though I think it was dragged out for way too long), but for me it wasn't as interesting as Miyako's part.
The animation and the OST was without a problem of course (the OP also grew onto me). All the visual effects during the different scenes were great.

Since I have to rate the two stories as one, I'm gonna give the show the average of the two seperate scores (which is a shame, I should not have to do this...)
8/10 for MiyakoxHiro, which could have also been way better if it was actually a whole 12 episodes with more build up and not just the half of it.
6/10 for ChihiroxRenji. It was good, but too dragged out and not a little boring because of that (especially because of having to run parallel to a better story).
So the anime gets a 7/10 from me. I will still watch Melodies, even though I'm sure that one is gonna be the same way (two stories together). I hope the two new stories will be even better than the story of Miyako and Hiro.
RazielZeroNov 25, 2013 1:27 PM
Dec 4, 2013 5:51 PM

Jan 2008
I ended up liking this anime more then i thought i was going to I was actually surprised n i really mean that i was truly surprised how this series came together now i just have to watch the next season but i am going to wait alittle bit on that one though.
Dec 6, 2013 6:55 AM

Sep 2013
I love how each girl's theme music subtly transitioned into the next in the coda. And the cinematography in Ef was unique to say the least.

RazielZero said:
I so knew she was gonna break the "curse" with the power of love... >_> So there ARE miracles after all.

But doesn't Chihiro still have a memory that lasts 13 hours? So she hasn't really broken the curse? I wonder if she can remember everything about Renji in that short space of time.
Dec 8, 2013 7:10 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Simply a master piece, to watch. I was not a Kei, kind of disliked her at first, but in the end she got my support. Understanding the characters and why they do certain things is always a must for me. Miyaka's story was very sad because I can relate to her. The ending was simply magnificent, every heroine got their beautiful ending, and this is what we all wanted to see. Story wise it was amazing, especially because it was focusing on two different relationships so that makes it even harder to do.

Dec 16, 2013 3:11 PM

Jun 2012
All in all, I loved the ending, but I didn't like how many inconsistencies there were.

Renji sees a paper airplane flying very high in the air. He chases after it like his life depends on it, even though there is no way he could have known what was written on the paper, or even if the paper was blank.

That paper airplane somehow ended up being one of the pages that Chihiro tore out of her diary the previous night. It had been a day since it was thrown into the air, and it still hadn't fallen to the ground yet.

After catching the paper airplane, Renji looks around and somehow all of the pages are lying around nearby. Apparently nobody in the town bothered to pick up the papers and throw them away, the wind did not take them away, and the water did not dissolve the paper in the fountain.

Later, when Renji returns to the station, Chihiro suddenly remembers who he is. She says that she couldn't stop thinking about him for the past thirteen hours, yet earlier that same day she asked "have we met before?", implying she doesn't know who he is and doesn't remember him.

None of that made any sense.
LarasoDec 16, 2013 3:16 PM
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Dec 19, 2013 10:00 AM

Aug 2013
YES... THAT ENDING.
My heart.. although broken, teared, ripped apart through it all.. finally rest in peace.
Jan 19, 2014 3:49 PM
Nov 2013
Laraso said:
All in all, I loved the ending, but I didn't like how many inconsistencies there were.

Renji sees a paper airplane flying very high in the air. He chases after it like his life depends on it, even though there is no way he could have known what was written on the paper, or even if the paper was blank.

Which is why he bothered to open it when he caught it, to see if it was what he wished it was ^_^

Laraso said:
That paper airplane somehow ended up being one of the pages that Chihiro tore out of her diary the previous night. It had been a day since it was thrown into the air, and it still hadn't fallen to the ground yet.

They deliberately showed a high wind blowing right before it appeared - if it was caught in a high place, it could easily be blown off and take flight again.

Laraso said:
After catching the paper airplane, Renji looks around and somehow all of the pages are lying around nearby. Apparently nobody in the town bothered to pick up the papers and throw them away, the wind did not take them away, and the water did not dissolve the paper in the fountain.

Not entirely believable, I agree xD BUT... not nearly as unbelievable as I've come to expect from dramatic anime. What was more unbelievable, actually, was how all the paper managed to scatter so far, instead of just landing all over the roof. Loose paper is not very aerodynamic.

Laraso said:
Later, when Renji returns to the station, Chihiro suddenly remembers who he is. She says that she couldn't stop thinking about him for the past thirteen hours, yet earlier that same day she asked "have we met before?", implying she doesn't know who he is and doesn't remember him.

NOOOOOOOOO you missed the point!!!!!!!!! D:
She's perfectly capable of faking unfamiliarity when she's purposefully trying to forget him for 13 hours ;)

I'm very surprised at how many people just completely missed how the ending was not deus ex machina. Come on, people. You just missed the whole payoff T_T

Edit: "Thirteen hours is a long time." Thus, if Renji-kun is on her mind all the time, she won't be able to forget about him.
chardsixteenJan 19, 2014 3:55 PM
Feb 17, 2014 7:52 AM
Mar 2013
cyruz said:
Jes said:
1. eve
2. upon a time
3. paradox
4. honestly
5. outline
6. rain
7. I...
8. clear colour
9. forget me not
10.I'm here
11.ever forever
12.love
dream (coda)

first letters from episode titles = euphoric field. win.

Very nice catch!
I agree good catch.

So the series is over and it looks like all's well that ends well. . Glad to see Hiro and Miya together, not to fond of Kei and Kyousuke. They're not my favorite couple anyway. I still wish Chihiro's memory defect could be cured but I'm glad she and Renji could stay together.
Feb 17, 2014 10:04 AM

Aug 2013
Awwwwn, it was such a beautiful anime, with a beautiful ending.

I didn't thought about it, the fact that Chihiro, even if her memory last 13 hours, if she can't stop thinking about someone, she'll not be able to forget him... That was so cute :'3

When he was running to find those pages and that they were disappearing. Or when she was writing that last page, her final farewell. That's how you do an interresting amnesia plot! :P

At the end, we get everyone resolution and a little peak of their new life. It was quite a satisfying end with a mysterious after-credit that look promising for the sequel. It will surely explain why the church guy is so cynical and of course who's that mysterious girl that keep appearing and disappearing in crucial time. She almost look like a guardian angel.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 17, 2014 1:40 PM
Jan 2011
The visual metaphors and motifs combined with some of the best animation and music I've seen easily bring the story to life and bring ef (memories and melodies) to my #1 spot. Bravo, Shaft.
o3o
Feb 18, 2014 9:50 AM

Aug 2012
Aha, I thought I was just imagining things, but I recognized Shaft's signature limited animation anime. No other studio could get away with having mostly still images and text while showing us a story that is worth our time.

It would have been great if they didn't show us two stories simultaneously. If they really wanted it to keep it like that, though, they could have connected both of them at the end by having the characters of each of them interact. Instead, as one of the characters themselves pointed out, they tried to cover both simultaneously but ended up half-assing both of them. Hiro Hirono is a projection of the staff of this series. At least the music was good.

6/10
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
May 4, 2014 1:41 PM

Oct 2013
People saying Chihiro remembering Renji is a miracle didn't quite understand what happened. She can't forget anything unless she goes 13 hours without thinking about it. She may not have remembered anything about what happened with Renji, but she couldn't forget that she loved Renji, because it was impossible to go 13 hours without thinking about the fact that she loves him and couldn't let him go. Nothing miraculous about that.

Honestly, this was a flawless ending for this anime. I mean, it was literally perfect. It could not have ended in any possible better way. I don't think I've watched another anime with such a cathartic ending, seriously. It wasn't too cheesy, too happy, but everything worked out for the best.

I was considering a 6, but the ending is enough to tell me it's worth a 7. Really enjoyed it.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jun 3, 2014 4:12 AM

Apr 2014
Ending was great, I really enjoyed it even though alot of things were kinda predictable.

Also Kei didn't get the D.. which was a good thing.
I'm done chasing my dreams because I know I'll only wake up to reality. That reality will soon become my dreams.
Jun 12, 2014 10:23 AM

Oct 2013
what an amazing whirlwind of emotions
this anime was a masterpiece
between the art the story just everything about it
ended on sucha good note I'm scarred to watch season 2 since season one ended so well O_O
[/quote]
Jun 25, 2014 8:58 PM

Jun 2013
Huge Shaft fan and this one's among their best works! Absolutely powerful, loved every second of it!!!

10/10! Keep your hopes and dreams alive and never give up! :)
Jul 19, 2014 2:54 PM

Aug 2013
What a nice ending to a first season! I am really happy that all 3 couples are where they should be!
Chihiro and Renji made me cry so much omfg.
Anyways, looking forward for what season two Ef: A tale of Melodies, has in store for me with Yuu and Yuko!
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Aug 17, 2014 1:32 PM

Jan 2014
The highest demonstration that with a masterpiecely written script you can go any fucking where.
I don't have words to explain this show, but it's unnecessary, the show speaked enough for itself.
Hats off people.
Aug 18, 2014 1:25 PM

Jan 2014
well first few episodes were boring as hell, but I'm glad it got better.
Recommend me an anime
Aug 23, 2014 12:14 PM

Dec 2013
So when the chains broke, Chihiro's disease stopped ?
Some KeixKyousuke implications or it's just me.
Great, happy ending. What powerful series.. gotta take a break before a Tale of Mellody.
8/10

radiantfire said:
I do think people will have mix feelings though.

What. I can't imagine a better ending.
Oct 5, 2014 10:45 PM

Aug 2014
Oct 27, 2014 1:44 AM

Oct 2013
frsh gotta love dat
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 5, 2014 3:14 PM

Jul 2012
The music, the graphics were all great. The beginning didn't really get me into this anime but from about the middle it was way better. Good ending afterall.

7/10
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Dec 6, 2014 2:15 PM

Dec 2012
God dam this has some Good music and its the right tune at the right time. gives it more feels.

The anime started pretty slow and but i chugged along.

I was going to give this a 7 because i did not like the whole Hiro &Miyako stuff. It didn't hit home for me. I'll just leave it at that.

What saved it for me was the episodes with Renji, and Chihiro very touching and very much a tear jerker.
9/10

Jan 1, 2015 10:24 AM

Jul 2010
A masterpiece, honestly didn't think I would give this a 10/10 after finishing it, loved all of it.
Feb 2, 2015 6:00 PM
Feb 2012
Nicely done Shaft. 10/10
May 3, 2015 4:48 AM

Sep 2014
The stories were quite nice overall.
I would have preferred more episodes like episode 7 (the phone calls) as that was easily my favourite episode of the series.
Mirai, zura~!
May 15, 2015 1:30 PM

Feb 2015
One of the best drama/romance anime i ever saw. The fact that it has a happy ending after so much pain and suffering the MC had to endure , makes me like it even more.
May 23, 2015 9:08 PM

Apr 2014
Oh, man..
That was great
My eyes are still red
May 26, 2015 3:51 AM

Aug 2009
all is good between our main cast of this series now...

dat ending

guess time to move onto Melodies to find out about Yuuko and others

too much cheese for me but overall good

7/10
Jun 10, 2015 9:17 PM

Jun 2012
I was trying to think of some redeeming features but the more I thought about it the more I realized how terrible this is. Story is lame and corny. Low budgeted with really crappy animation. It was still decently done tho thanks to the Shaft factor. The music was good too but I really disliked all the characters, the voice actors did a poor job too.

I came here with high expectations. Disappointed.
Jul 14, 2015 2:34 PM
Apr 2015
Does anyone know where I can find the ost/music with the guitar in this anime? For example when Renji stormed out of his house in this episode (like 6 minutes in) a guitar starts playing ("couldn't tomorrow possibly be a better day than today?"). I've searched like forever but can't seem to find it anywhere.
Sep 1, 2015 11:45 PM

Nov 2009
Glad I finally finished this, kept putting it off and I have no idea why since its a great show, 8/10
Sep 29, 2015 7:07 AM

Jan 2014
This was really beautiful and cute and touching, one of the best endings I've ever seen.
I really liked it and my eyes were so close to getting teary during Chihiro's monologue.
Oct 23, 2015 6:55 PM

Apr 2011
4/10 for the love triangle

7/10 for the memory loss part

overall 6/10

I wonder who that mysterious lady is... maybe we'll know in the sequel ?
Oct 24, 2015 6:15 AM

Jul 2009
I am glad Renji didn't give up! It was so nice to see him chasing all the pages around the city to give it back to Chihiro, their love was the most beautiful in the whole thing. 8/10
Oct 31, 2015 6:51 AM

May 2015
This show was a fine piece of art, really beautiful. The emotional ride was real. 10/10. Gotta pick up the VN for this one when I have the time.

Nov 2, 2015 6:50 PM

Nov 2011
In the end this didn't end up being quite as ambitious as I initially thought, but the character contrasts added more to the series. Also, the drama itself was handled well, which is to say it did venture into "melodrama" territory at times, but it always made sense story-wise. In fact, the characterization within some of the drama was absolutely fantastic. (Miyako's phone scene may well enter my favorite anime scenes.) Even the visual direction was impressive.

The theme that "love prevails" carries strong in the end, and suits the sense of romantic idealism that the series evokes. In short, it's a great fairy tale.

Superb series. I definitely plan on watching Melodies sometime.

...That sequel tease at the end is almost too much. C'mon. xD
TripleSRankNov 2, 2015 8:00 PM
Nov 12, 2015 11:10 AM

May 2015
I'm very unclear with the ending. So I'm assuming that Chihiro didn't get the four years back, or her time with Renji, but that she remembered the day before and now she won't forget any future events that have yet to come?

That violin music when Renji was running, though. That was sooooo beautiful. I was kind of upset when it stopped playing.

Liked the cute little scene between Kyosuke and Kei, and how he blushed when she told him to stay near her.

Great series, 9/10.
SuranaNov 12, 2015 11:16 AM
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Nov 21, 2007

280 by Miryy »»
May 20, 6:02 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Nov 12, 2007

97 by Miryy »»
May 20, 5:11 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Nov 5, 2007

74 by Miryy »»
May 20, 5:15 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of memories Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Oct 16, 2007

93 by Miryy »»
May 19, 12:25 PM

» Popularity of this show?? For people who watched when it came out

kcvthewrld - Sep 8, 2023

6 by flomu »»
Nov 27, 2023 12:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.