Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 7, 2008 12:16 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Now that Oberstein is in charge, it'll be interesting to see how he'll handle the situation. Even with everyone pissed off at him he still shows no signs of being phased at all.

Rubinsky will probably fall out of the picture soon. I wonder if he even has any tricks left?

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 23, 2009 8:57 AM
Jun 18, 2009 5:04 PM

Sep 2008
Im starting to like Oberstein more than I did before.
Sep 9, 2009 4:11 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
HydraA said:

The best thing is that he is such a practical and realist guy, with an unique sense of morality and judgment.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 1, 2009 10:04 PM

Jun 2009
I actually agree with Oberstein in a way, in his own way he is trying to do the right the. While I can't agree with the decision to use people as hostages, I can still see the greater good in a situation such as this. However, could this be the bargaining chip Julian was looking for?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 10, 2009 9:29 AM

Jul 2008
HydraA said:

Me too
he is somehow right in what he says
Jan 31, 2010 3:56 AM

Sep 2008
yea, he's right in a lot of ways. Like he was back when he destroyed a whole planet just so Reinhard would win against the nobles 2 months earlier then he would have normally.
And like back when he got Kircheies killed. :S
I like how he's back in action thought. For me, he's one of those characters that you just love to hate :P
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 5, 2010 2:29 PM

Apr 2009
HydraA said:

haha +1.. hi's villain character is kinda entertaining and unique XD

eyerok said:

wat? i forgot about the incident.. what had Oberstein with kirchies death ? o_O
Feb 5, 2010 4:17 PM

Nov 2007
In a certain way, he killed him. Not directly, but it's heavily implied that he has acted in order to obtain this result.

Remember, during the incident when the planet has been atomised (don't remember what was its name, it's been quite a long time...) Oberstein acted on his own and let it happened. As his superior, Reinhard had to took the all responsability which lead to an argument with Kircheis. Upsetted, Reinhard finally decided to follow Oberstein's advice and stopped to offer some privileges to Kircheis. One of them was to authorized him to hold a gun during the reunions between admirals. If Kircheis was authorized to have it as usual, it's almost sure he wouldn't have died.

Oberstein was actually the first to draw benefits from his death, plus from the very beginning of the serie he thought of Kircheis as a threat for the Empire and for Reinhard.
The end justifies the means.
KatuaFeb 5, 2010 4:27 PM
Feb 6, 2010 12:22 AM

Apr 2009
^tnx mate.
everything is clear now)
Apr 4, 2010 2:13 PM

Jan 2009
It would be a lie to say I didn't get anything out from this episode.

For once I got to see Bittenfeld do something that I approve, and that was nearly beating the hell out of Oberstein. Unfortunately, I agree with Oberstein's tactic of pursuing a prisoner trade for Iserlohn. Little to no lives lost and very anti-Goldenbaum. It's unfortunate though in the way Oberstein handled his words, and because of it he ended up on the bad sides of Bittenfeld, Muller, and Whalen.

Also, I finally got one of my questions answered: Did Annerose love Siegfried? Yes! Though I already got the feeling she did after the first season, I was hoping to see in one form or another how she felt about him. It may have taken 77 episodes for this answer, but it was worth it to say the least.
Apr 6, 2010 12:06 AM

Sep 2008
DeadBonesBrook said:

Also, I finally got one of my questions answered: Did Annerose love Siegfried? Yes! Though I already got the feeling she did after the first season, I was hoping to see in one form or another how she felt about him. It may have taken 77 episodes for this answer, but it was worth it to say the least.

I thought it was kinda obvious back when Reinhard asked Annerose if she loved kircheies, her reaction said it all
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Apr 6, 2010 8:12 PM

Jan 2009
eyerok said:

I thought it was kinda obvious back when Reinhard asked Annerose if she loved kircheies, her reaction said it all

I know, same here, but I still needed that last nail in the coffin to confirm it.
May 12, 2010 10:48 PM

Aug 2008
Oberstein seriously pisses me off. Always did. Kinda feel bad for him, but still, I think he is a morally bankrupt walking corpse, his excuses aside.
eyerok said:
yea, he's right in a lot of ways. Like he was back when he destroyed a whole planet just so Reinhard would win against the nobles 2 months earlier then he would have normally.
I like how he's back in action thought. For me, he's one of those characters that you just love to hate :P

XD So true. So true. He's such a well written character that plays on so many emotions. One second it's for the viewer to hate him, the next to feel some sympathy for his past and for adding more hate to the hate he already has.
aixelsydMay 12, 2010 10:51 PM
Jul 6, 2010 7:15 PM

Feb 2010
Well, Oberstein always acts somehow reasonable and for the good of the empire (and not for Reinhard as a person, that's what I like about him. He's the only one who does this for the sake of a "better" empire and not for Reinhard alone) but he REALLY could make more of an effort to be understood by other and to not seem totally antagonistic. I guess he just likes to be hated..

And I didn't expect to Rubinsky to go down like this. I hope he'll have a different ending. Sickness always sucks :/
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 26, 2010 6:49 AM

Apr 2008
Oberstein's manners are so far from Reuenthal or other fleet admirals sense of honor. though, everything he said is so logical, as he was thinking as a computer, and leaves no room for debate. His ideas seemed definitely more efficient in order to defeat former FPA..
Bittenefeld was quite amusing whenever he bad-mouthed of Obertein or talked about his familial tradition.
Things are really getting interesting, as this was completely unexpected.
the only thing i didn't understand was one part of the discussion between Hilda and Annerose. what did Hilda meant when she said that maybe it was the denouement that Annerose wished for, after Annerose talked about her love for Kircheis (but did she really talked about it or just dreamt?)
Dec 9, 2010 5:40 AM

Jan 2010
I thought Bittenfeld will kill Oberstein..but Oberstein was right nevertheless,that tactic is a bit lame by the fact there'll be no war,but still people will not die

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 11, 2011 11:46 PM

Apr 2009
Kick him out of the carriage, eh? X) I love Bittenfeld, he has the best lines in the series.
Jan 17, 2011 1:02 PM

May 2010
How can people hate Oberstein? This guy is hilarious! He is exactly like Lunge!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 19, 2011 9:26 AM
Nov 2010
Oberstein was so badass in this episode.

He's the only Imperial guy I like. He's the only who thinks outsides of pride Ruenthal,Reinhard...and thinks about the millions of soldier who are sacrificed.
Mar 19, 2011 9:58 PM
Jul 2010
Finally someone said it. You know things have gotten bad when fucking Oberstein is fighting for human lives.
Apr 23, 2011 4:40 PM

Feb 2010
SuperSaiyen said:

He's the only Imperial guy I like. He's the only who thinks outsides of pride Ruenthal,Reinhard...and thinks about the millions of soldier who are sacrificed.

This.
Aug 17, 2011 1:16 AM

Oct 2009
I have to take Oberstein's side with this one, even though taking hostage's maybe shameful, what he says is true...i am somewhat starting to like him now ^^
Nov 26, 2011 2:05 PM

Dec 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Well, Oberstein always acts somehow reasonable and for the good of the empire (and not for Reinhard as a person, that's what I like about him. He's the only one who does this for the sake of a "better" empire and not for Reinhard alone) but he REALLY could make more of an effort to be understood by other and to not seem totally antagonistic. I guess he just likes to be hated..

And I didn't expect to Rubinsky to go down like this. I hope he'll have a different ending. Sickness always sucks :/

Completely agree. He could do more to make himself look better instead of having others antagonize him. I like him a lot and I'm disappointed so few characters like him in the show. Reinhard praised him once for backing up the space coordinate system, was the only time I saw anyone really liking him.

He was my favorite character the first time I saw him. Sigh. haha.
Dec 22, 2011 2:28 PM
Feb 2011
Is it just me or is this the second time in the entire series that Oberstein actually showed an emotion on his face? The first time I believe was when he jumped in front of the Kaiser to defend him against that assassin before Kircheis stepped in.

also

Luthimal said:
Finally someone said it. You know things have gotten bad when fucking Oberstein is fighting for human lives.

lol. I am starting to like Oberstein a lot.
Dec 30, 2011 10:50 AM
Jan 2011
live2win said:
SuperSaiyen said:

This.

exactly

the only reason i liked Reinhard better was because i didnt know Obersteins intentions, given his character he doesnt speak about himself - i was expecting him to be back-stabbing type of person waiting for reinhard to unify universe and seize it for himself
but it turned out how i wanted after this:
- at first Reinhard showed himself kinda incompetent to completely finish what he started and became swayed by his emotions
- then Reuental dissappointed me

Reinhard is the theatrical type of guy and that good but in reality he is far inferior to Oberstein

btw i love Oberstein's habit of no caring to be hated.. even more making himself hated purposefully why is he doing such thing? i think it is for entertainment
he doesnt care what idiots think of him and they wouldnt understand him even if he explained himself he rather say it in a manipulatiing way and laughs at their inability to comprehend what he said
---> loving the guy he is my idol
Dec 31, 2011 9:59 AM

Sep 2008
God, Another Oberstein worshiper. Jeez...
:P
Feb 19, 2012 9:50 PM

Sep 2009
Machiavelli, I mean Oberstien stole the show this episode.

Like how he played Bittenfeld so well too.
Mar 17, 2012 8:14 PM

Aug 2010
HydraA said:

I've always like him. Can't believe most people think of him as the "villain"

Haha they are in for a surprise
Mar 27, 2012 4:06 PM

Jul 2009
If the Kaiser goes forward with this plan, it'll be like Westerland all over again. Not as serious, but it'll leave the same bad aftertaste. In that case, Oberstein might have been morally right too- but most people disagreed. Even Reinhard hated himself for it afterwards.
Still, with Reinhard's health deteriorating, I don't know how it'll play out! Nearly there now.
"A detoxified Akihabara would just be another electronic town!"

Apr 11, 2012 9:47 AM

Nov 2009

The whole universe hates Oberstein.

Lol! Haha, Oberstein was about to be beaten to death probably!
Poor man, he needs to find a woman xD.
But i agree with him. Pride is a good thing.
Everyone has it but don't do reckless things because of it.
May 4, 2012 12:33 PM

Mar 2011
I have to agree with Oberstein, if you can avoid such a conflict, may as well do it.
Jun 1, 2012 8:29 PM

Feb 2012
Fritz Joseph Bittenfeld said:
There's a tradition in the Bittenfeld family! When you praise someone, you do it loudly; when you denounce someone, you do it even louder!

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place. I would seriously love to see Bittenfeld's father raising him as a child.
Sep 11, 2012 1:08 AM

Oct 2008
Why does everybody suddenly like Oberstien?
I maybe in the minority on this, but Oberstien seems to me like nothing but a big hypocrite who only wants to find the easy and cowardly way out. He's the one responsible for two million deaths in Westerland just for the sake of public opinion because it was also the easy way out, now he suddenly has the nerve to use soldier's deaths in war as an excuse for his cowardly actions? He's full of shit.
HatulSep 11, 2012 1:13 AM
Sep 19, 2012 5:52 AM
Mar 2012
I'm only half in the episode and I have to say: quit with the oberstein hate already it's gotten old, at least find some reasons for hating him, don't just bash him everytime for no reason
these people are messed up
Jul 7, 2013 6:01 AM

Nov 2011
Well I did want to say many things, but have you guys did..

In the conclusion : THAT WAS EPIC !
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 18, 2013 6:48 AM

Aug 2010
Holy...Oberstein basically destroyed the three admirals and criticized the Kaiser so non-chalantly in five minutes that I was expecting Bittenfeld to just flat out murder him. More happened in one scene than in 3 episodes at other times. This was great, I don't like Oberstein or agree with him, but as a character he is a nice change of pace. 5/5.

Wonder what Rubinsky is up to, seems like he could die at any second...
Aug 8, 2013 10:49 PM

Jun 2013
The once-fat Rubinsky is now thin to bones.

LMAO Oberstein obnoxiously retorted Bittenfeld (and Muller, Wahlen) to the point Bittenfeld got mad and tackled him! Oberstein, you're so AWESOME!
Oct 5, 2013 11:00 AM

Nov 2009
Hrmmm . . . There has to be more to the plan, I mean the lives lost won't be less using his strategy, since I'm sure probably just as many will be killed in riots all across their territory over using such an underhanded tactic.
Oct 14, 2013 1:19 PM

Aug 2008
This series is so unrealistic at times, Bittenfeld can just assault a superior and not land in a jail cell? I know this is an anime but c'mon...
Oct 14, 2013 8:46 PM

Jun 2013
gswelcome said:
This series is so unrealistic at times, Bittenfeld can just assault a superior and not land in a jail cell? I know this is an anime but c'mon...

Well, Bittenfeld was placed under house arrest after all for his action, so he didn't exactly go scot free. Don't forget that Bittenfeld himself is a high-ranking personnel (just one rank lower than Oberstein) that is under the direct command of Reinhard, so they can't just simply toss him into a jail cell (unless he committed some heinous crime which is not in this case)
Oct 21, 2013 10:00 AM

Jul 2011
"Maybe I should have thrown a stone at him or something." <-- gold.

But this episode made me like Oberstein. He's saving lives here and he doesn't give a shit about what you think of him.
I'm happy that unlike the rest of the Empire, he doesn't worship Reinhard. He won't make decisions out of pride either.
Feb 19, 2014 10:58 AM

Sep 2013
Nice. I always felt that in the end Oberstein is not a bad guy, he's just awkward at interacting with humans. That amazing pride and honor of war of the imperial admirals is indeed great to look at, but just as Oberstein said, is not the correct way to LEAD A COUNTRY. Times have to change. One unifies country in war. But one doesn't lead a country after that war.

Sadly, because Oberstein opposes kaiser, he probably will be killed or something. :/

SuperSaiyen said:

This is the only reason why I like alliance more. The ideals of the Galactic empire sound great, but if you think about them, they are very cruel.
cupcApr 27, 2014 1:06 AM
Apr 26, 2014 11:38 PM

Mar 2013
Oberstein may be the most multi-faceted character in the show, in close competition with Reuenthal. He definitely is the most shady, and is borderline evil, no matter what logic and sanity his decisions and ploys have. It can't be denied that he basically killed Kircheis, and was happy with his death. No one in the show was portrayed as more loyal and just than Kircheis, so being at the least an accessory to his death is a big deal.

Very interesting scenes here. Oberstein was clearly baiting the admirals and in particular Bittenfeld. While most of his points were largely true, he clearly wanted the result he got. High Admiral Bittenfeld's punishment is actually way too extreme in my opinion, even though he is technically 1 rank below Fleet Admiral Oberstein. Those that think the punishment should have been harsher are hopeless.
May 22, 2014 8:42 AM

Sep 2008
Oberstein, you loveable bastard. You know right thing to do even if it isn't right. Too bad that might get you some problems. Reinhard might not like about the way Oberstain talked about him.
Jul 21, 2014 6:09 AM

Sep 2012
I really like Oberstein's reasoning and personality, but unfortunately he's really one-dimensional.
Aug 12, 2014 11:33 AM

Nov 2013
If Oberstein had more social skills than a garden pond he'd probably have every other character wrapped round his little finger.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 6, 2014 11:20 PM

Apr 2013
HydraA said:

This is the first time I liked Oberstein.
Dec 7, 2014 11:51 AM

Mar 2012
Oberstein is such a dick lol.
Dec 27, 2014 8:31 AM

Jul 2014
Oberstein, the man reasonable and one of the best character.

Pretty good episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 89 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

160 by Unkrowned »»
Yesterday, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 82 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 2, 2008

431 by Unkrowned »»
Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

140 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

134 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 25, 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.