Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2008 7:48 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Watching Yang explain the battle plan to Julian was funny. Yang just lays out the entire battle progression matter of factly while Julian stares starry eyed. No matter the situation it's like he's already got all the moves perfectly plotted out. His subordinates pot shots claiming his only useful parts are above his neck were also funny.

Greenhill being the leader of the rebellion was another surprise. At the end of episode 17 it looked like the mystery man at the meeting was former HQ Chief Sitolet. It's kind of ironic how their long list of law changes mimics the ones from the very same people they've been fighting for 150+ years. It's got to be tough for Frederica but she looks poised to stay loyal to Yang now.

The biggest revelation though is that Rubinsky seemed to imply that Truniht was his pawn all along. He mentioned that there was still work for him. I wonder if he has any moles in the empire side?

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Aug 9, 2008 11:51 AM

Sep 2007
Does anyone else find it kind of odd that the final shot of the ending theme consists of Julian staring off into space at Reinhard?

I highly doubt Yang will go for the dictator position, but it would be kind of cool if he did. He's going to have a hard time beating off Reinhard while dealing with incompetent superiors.
Apr 25, 2009 3:30 PM

Dec 2008
naikou said:
Does anyone else find it kind of odd that the final shot of the ending theme consists of Julian staring off into space at Reinhard?

Odd, perhaps, but I must wonder if it's pointing at something yet to happen. Just a couple of episodes back, Siegfried stopped to speak to Julian directly after meeting with Yang, and if you recall: "Don't be so impressed that you run off and join the Empire...!" Foreshadowing in both cases, perhaps?
Jul 29, 2009 2:03 AM

Jun 2009
antitype said:
naikou said:

Odd, perhaps, but I must wonder if it's pointing at something yet to happen. Just a couple of episodes back, Siegfried stopped to speak to Julian directly after meeting with Yang, and if you recall: "Don't be so impressed that you run off and join the Empire...!" Foreshadowing in both cases, perhaps?

Perhaps, but as of now it would be really hard to believe.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 2, 2009 7:32 AM

Apr 2009
Finally the pacing is picking up.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Aug 3, 2009 3:18 PM

Dec 2008
Greenhill as the leader of the rebellion? Didn't see that coming at all! O__o

I guess this is where the things pick up.
Aug 5, 2009 9:27 PM

Jan 2009
What a twist. Greenhill of all people? I'm sure even if he realizes that his only daughter is on Iserlohn, what he's doing is by no means the best way.

It seems Yang has this under control, but looking back on previous fights, things never seem to turn out that way.
Sep 12, 2009 9:53 PM

Aug 2008
HA! I feel foolish forgetting all about Lohengramm's coup plans after only one episode of Empire intrigue. He planted the seed flawlessly and it worked as if he were commanding them himself.

I found the subordinate's speak of a Yang salvation and dictatorship interesting, but unrealistic. I just can't see him doing that under any circumstances. But who knows. Seeing Greenhill as the leader of this massive coup on the Alliance side was probably the biggest shocker of this series so far. I look forward to many brilliant battles to come!
Nov 11, 2009 12:37 PM

Dec 2008
Julian's future is certainly fascinating, but then again, so is the future of the Alliance's government, along with numerous other plot threads. I'm quite enjoying the intrigue at the moment.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Nov 28, 2009 4:55 PM

May 2009
So now there's civil war in both the Alliance and the Empire. Ohh, this is really exciting, lol. I'm gonna jump on to the next episode right away!
Dec 22, 2009 2:15 PM

Apr 2009
woa, a coup d'etat ..
and a great twist.

this is getting exciting X)
Dec 22, 2009 4:51 PM

Dec 2009
This part has quite a number of twists, although the following part is better
Jun 16, 2010 9:30 PM

Jul 2008
Greenhill O___O WHAT

BEGINNER
Aug 29, 2010 3:21 PM

Jan 2010
antitype said:
naikou said:

yep i noticed that too...probably who knows,the FPA and the Empire will be BFF someday xD

good episode :-),I wouldn't think Yang is in his mid 30s,i thought he was like 25 :)

and Julian with sparkling eyes...lol

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 17, 2010 12:12 PM

May 2010
So Yang's sub thinks Reinhard is inferior to Yang?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 3, 2011 9:18 PM
Jul 2010
Greenhill is probably trying what Schenkopp wants Yang to do - cleaning house and ruling as a benevolent dictator. Really anticipating a strong opponent for Yang
Mar 15, 2011 10:54 AM

Aug 2009
insan3soldiern said:
antitype said:
naikou said:

Perhaps, but as of now it would be really hard to believe.

I also think it was foreshadowing. When he said that I thought that immediately. I could totally see this anime doing both of those things, since from what I have heard (and seen so far) I doubt it will shy away from dramatic character development arcs.

which is awesome! Because dramatic character development is amazing to watch when done well.
Apr 1, 2011 4:18 AM

Feb 2010
I like how civil wars break out in both nations with very different underlying motives.
Aug 1, 2011 7:43 PM

Aug 2010
So I understand why there's civil war in the empire, but why was there a coup in the Free Planets Alliance?
Aug 1, 2011 10:37 PM
Jun 2011
clannad4ever said:
...probably who knows,the FPA and the Empire will be BFF someday xD

good episode :-),I wouldn't think Yang is in his mid 30s,i thought he was like 25 :)

and Julian with sparkling eyes...lol

4/5

I'm sort of wondering if they won't fight together on whatever plan Phezzan and Earth have...they may need to join forces. About Yang though you have to remember the incident at El Facil was 9 years earlier at the beginning of the series. Reinhard was 11 and so there was no way Yang would have been 16 so he's got to be older.
Aug 26, 2011 9:59 PM
Jul 2010
Skyzong said:
So I understand why there's civil war in the empire, but why was there a coup in the Free Planets Alliance?
Reinhard send in converted POWs during a prisoner trade, as double agents to instigate a coup. The Alliance government is pretty corrupt, maybe even more than the Empire, so the discontent among military officers was already there. The veterans were especially peeved that 20,000,000 Alliance soldiers died in a campaign launched exclusively for political reasons.

I'm surprised at how far Greenhill let those demands go. Free speech, anti-war protests, even political affiliations were restricted. Police state, much
Oct 13, 2011 4:32 AM

Mar 2011
Both sides are trying to overthrow their governments...awesome!

I guess it's time for war now.
Nov 3, 2011 4:59 PM

Apr 2009
Planet "Shampool" lol
Dec 13, 2011 7:10 PM

Sep 2009
Renato said:
Planet "Shampool" lol

A shampoo planet.
Nice.
Jan 6, 2012 5:18 AM

Jul 2009
When I rewatched this ep, I remembered that actually almost the same thing happened in Poland O_o

National Salvation Military Council = Military Council of National Salvation
Evans, Greenhill = Jaruzelski.

Looks similar? :o
Nov 9, 2012 2:40 PM
Apr 2012
orzel286 said:
When I rewatched this ep, I remembered that actually almost the same thing happened in Poland O_o

National Salvation Military Council = Military Council of National Salvation
Evans, Greenhill = Jaruzelski.

Looks similar? :o

A bit late on this, but it is widely known the author of the novels, Yoshiki Tanaka, is a history buff. Moreover, one of the themes of LoGH is that of history repeating itself. It really isn't too surprising to me that he drew inspiration from what was at the time such a recent event in history
Apr 12, 2013 4:13 AM

Jun 2012
"Yang is useless below the neck" - made my day! :-)
Jul 23, 2013 8:44 PM

Jun 2013
So Yang's up against Frederica's dad, great complications.
Sep 12, 2013 3:12 PM

Nov 2009
What happened to the dude who Reinhard sent? I thought he would be at the head of the coup, although if he is their but keeping in the shadows that is definitely a lot smarter.
Sep 23, 2013 10:29 PM

Jul 2011
Ah, I didn't catch that foreshadowing for Julian. I thought it was just more of the humour. Bit of a spoiler for me there if it actually happens.

Haha, I love how the characters tease/bully Yang. "He's useless below the neck," got me laughing so hard. And dictator Yang Wenli ftw.
Dec 19, 2013 7:45 AM

Dec 2012
Yang is the ideal dictator. People who don't want to be a dictator are most likely the best suited for the job.
Apr 9, 2014 12:56 PM

Mar 2013
I was stunned to see Greenhill as the leader of the Galactic Empire 2.0 - It definitely comes out of nowhere.

The dictatorship discussion was interesting, honestly that would likely be better than the farce "democracy" the FPA has in place. Chances that Yang would agree to it are slim though, even if he agrees with it being for the best in theory.
May 9, 2014 12:44 AM

Apr 2013
"Because Yang is useless below the neck"
That seriously made me laugh. He is just walking by nonchalantly and says this and continues on his way.

Two civil wars eh. Too bad even though Yang warned them, they couldn't stop the coup.
Jun 29, 2014 1:30 AM

Apr 2012
awesome 2 simultaneous civil wars breaking out. A terrible ordeal for Frederica as she has to play a major role in putting down her own father.

Sep 25, 2014 6:25 PM

Dec 2013
That scene of Greenhill at the gravee before the ED song 0.0!!! There really is no clear black and white, good and evil in this world. I feel bad for Greenhill...he's such a great guy. Hopefully he doesn't die :(((

Great anime though. I want to see some more Frederica and Yang though XDDD
Oct 30, 2014 5:27 PM

Mar 2012
Dam, didn't expect Greenhill to actually be part of the coup :o

A civil war on both sides huh, interesting.
Feb 6, 2015 12:24 PM

May 2012
Awesome development! Looking forward to see what's next!
Feb 7, 2015 6:06 PM

Aug 2014
I think Yang Wenli is probably going to win this fight because this show goes on for 100 more episodes but it would be cool if Reinhard came behind him and attacked him in the middle of the battle.
May 13, 2015 8:02 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, hopefully they aren't attacked in the middle of a civil war. Really enjoyed the dialogue between Yang and Walter.
May 25, 2015 6:56 AM
Nov 2014
Well, didn't expect Greenhill to be the leader of the rebellion lmao. Next ep is probably gonna be as good as ep 15.
Jun 22, 2015 9:07 PM

Dec 2013
Seems now both sides have their own civil wars. tbh I forgot who Greenhilll was for a few seconds lol
Aug 12, 2015 5:27 AM

Jan 2014
LOL, Fork again. I love that guy. He's so funny hahaha xD
I can't imagine what Frederica must have felt at that moment.
I find it great that she stayed at Yang's side and even cried because he kept her.
That scene with Yang explaining his plan to Julian was funny for some reason.
And yeah, now both the FPA and the Empire have civil wars going on. Funny coincidence?
Oct 11, 2015 10:48 PM

Nov 2012
lol this Schenkopp dude is awesome. He just casually suggests Yang to take advantage of the civil war and become the dictator? Of Course he wouldn't agree to that. And he's always got this sly look on his face too..

Yeah looks like shits going to go down next episode..if you pay attention to the end of the previous episode the narrator was saying that the civil war on the empire's side would lead to tragedy. If anything things have been going a little too smoothly for him, I think Reinhard will definitely experience some tragedies himself before this series is done , for sure..
May 30, 2016 6:26 PM

Aug 2014
Mother of plot twist, I did not see that one coming :O

I'm hoping if Yang ever confronts Greenhill, it will go something like this :
Yang to Greenhill : "About your daughter Frederica....SHE CALLS ME DADDY NOW!!"
KashKetchumMay 30, 2016 6:35 PM
Sep 25, 2016 1:19 AM

Oct 2015
RediceRyan said:
Really enjoyed the dialogue between Yang and Walter.

Me too. I keep rewatching it once in a while. Makes me think that Walter is for Yang what Oberstein is for Reinhard.
Omnia munda mundis
Oct 18, 2016 5:16 PM

Aug 2014
Wow, it is a mess now at the Alliance, lets see how things will go.
I like the anime more when event are on ground, but space and its tactics are also lots of fun.
Great Episode.
Aug 25, 2017 5:07 AM

Sep 2014
I must say Im quite surprised how fast this situation arose. Both the civil wars and also how quickly Reinhard and Yang raised in rangs. With like 90 episodes to go I cant say what will happen :o

But idk the scale of the civil war in the alliance seems a bit .. high. Sure it looks like they have been plotting it for a long time, but it still feels a bit forced to me. Overall the situation in the empire just makes more sense. Im still not sure what to think of yang. I should like him, but probably his laziness is too much for me.

That yang could become the dictator is obvious. As of now he is probably the only likeable person with some sort of power to back him up. The rebel military should be hated by the commoners, the politicians where not thrustworthy to begin with. And Yang is overall viewed as the hero. Lets see when public calls for him to take actions. I really wonder if Greenhill actually supports the new order - sounds way to harsh for a democratic military.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Apr 21, 2018 7:12 AM
Sep 2016
The gallows humour in this episode reminded me of MASH, with the same sardonic wit while preparing to take fire. And suddenly Julian’s name seems significant, especially after this thread’s theories. Julian Kaiser. Hm. Sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

I also loved the exploration of Yang’s character, and the acknowledgement of his contradictions. And names? “Wen-li” is the name for Classical Chinese literary structure. We might use the word “Shakespearean” in its place in English. And Yang is, of course, the active male principle usually paired with “Yin”. I’m sure that’s going to be significant at some stage?
Aug 29, 2018 11:57 PM

Feb 2017
Amusing how Iserlohn, a hotly contested and recently captured fortress between two nations long at war, is now the safest and most peaceful location since there's so much internal strife on either side.
Nov 26, 2018 3:57 PM

Jan 2013
This episode was so great. I like that they shifted the screentime to the alliance and boy... shit escalated so quickly the instant Fork opened fire towards that Commander. LOL

Greenhill as the ringleader was definitely a plot twist.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 89 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

160 by Unkrowned »»
Yesterday, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 82 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 2, 2008

431 by Unkrowned »»
Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

140 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

134 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 4:48 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 25, 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.