Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 25, 2008 1:22 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Free Planets Alliance not quite as free as the name seems to imply. The way they regard their 'heroes' sure stinks. Jessica had a powerful point that was unfortunately lost on the masses.

Truniht's PKC thugs are pretty blatant carrying around a large banner flag and inciting violence right out in the open. Kind of sad they needed to bring out 16 guys just for one woman. Their outfits are hilarious though. They look like they came out of a cheap S&M flick.

After stressing how it was impossible taking out Iserlohn Fortress in the last episode it will be intersting to see how Yang attempts to do so with half of a regular fleet.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
May 25, 2008 1:25 PM
Jun 2007
Yea. This series looks at democracy vs. autocracy and really stays unbiased. I love it. It opened my eyes in a way.

Jun 24, 2008 12:42 AM

Jun 2008
Great episode. This is an intelligent series.

On a different note, I really enjoyed the fire hydrant scene. Awesome.
Jul 26, 2008 11:49 AM

Mar 2007
did they really need 16 men with nightsticks and hockey masks to beat on a blonde girl? A little off the top but still funny none the less...

...the freedom not to get involved FTW! >_<

and not that I'm on the Secretary of Defense's side, but he didn't get that seat just by standing idly by. Those medals that he earned on his chest aren't just there for decoration. I'm more than positive he's had his share of ugly battles during his tours. The only difference between Lap and the SoD is that the SoD survived. Just because he wasn't in THAT particular battle, doesn't mean that the man worthless. The chain of command is there for a reason. It's REALLY hard to judge his history since we know nothing of the SoD's history. The only thing we know is that he has his own personal army. And im sure we all find him an asshole by now.

What im trying to get at, is that girl is playing the hurt wife of a dead soldier. Granted that's all fine. But not everyone is going to live when your profession is war. Finding someone to scapegoat war is easy to do especially when someone close to you dies. But we also don't know if Lap enjoyed his job or not so its also a gray area on who's side to pick on that little conflict in this episode. Untill the PKC came out.

they easily could have done something else other than the PKC like tossed her in jail or something but whatever, this was made in the 80's. I just want a PKC mask for Halloween.

RanivusJul 26, 2008 12:03 PM

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Aug 7, 2008 12:23 PM

Sep 2007
Looks like the democracy has it's own batch of secret police... Kind of sad that they tried to blow up their "hero" only days after the battle. Wonder how they would have covered that one up.

Seems like the Secretary of Defense guy is ambitious. I'm betting he goes for a coup d'etat at some point... if he isn't an outright spy for the Empire in the first place.
Oct 7, 2008 12:58 PM

Sep 2008
i thought that group was the police :P
Apr 10, 2009 6:30 AM

Mar 2008
naikou said:
Kind of sad that they tried to blow up their "hero" only days after the battle. Wonder how they would have covered that one up.

If I understood the PKC role correctly, it wouldn't be hard to cover it up. Supposedly, the PKC is an extremist group that the gov. can't do anything about... at least that's the facade thrown at people... said facade could be used as reason for the big tragedy that would be the hero's death.
May 12, 2009 6:06 AM

Sep 2007
Ranivus said:
did they really need 16 men with nightsticks and hockey masks to beat on a blonde girl? A little off the top but still funny none the less...

...the freedom not to get involved FTW! >_<

and not that I'm on the Secretary of Defense's side, but he didn't get that seat just by standing idly by. Those medals that he earned on his chest aren't just there for decoration. I'm more than positive he's had his share of ugly battles during his tours. The only difference between Lap and the SoD is that the SoD survived. Just because he wasn't in THAT particular battle, doesn't mean that the man worthless. The chain of command is there for a reason. It's REALLY hard to judge his history since we know nothing of the SoD's history. The only thing we know is that he has his own personal army. And im sure we all find him an asshole by now.

What im trying to get at, is that girl is playing the hurt wife of a dead soldier. Granted that's all fine. But not everyone is going to live when your profession is war. Finding someone to scapegoat war is easy to do especially when someone close to you dies. But we also don't know if Lap enjoyed his job or not so its also a gray area on who's side to pick on that little conflict in this episode. Untill the PKC came out.

they easily could have done something else other than the PKC like tossed her in jail or something but whatever, this was made in the 80's. I just want a PKC mask for Halloween.

That's not what Jessica implied, though. If Truhnit should preach the nobleness of sacrificing oneself for the country, he ought to be more involved. His hesitance to answer Jessica's questions should tell you something, but we may only find out in the later episodes.

Very good episode, btw. I'm starting to get into the series now- the character interactions are my favorite part. Animation may be old and choppy, but everything else makes up for it and more.
Yang Wenli is also a fantastic character. Only 3 episodes in, and I'm already in love with the guy.
Jul 22, 2009 6:53 AM

Dec 2008
Great episode. Looks like Free Planets Alliance isn't very Democratic.

Wenli is my favourite character so far.

"The freedom not to get involved"
Jul 24, 2009 3:01 PM

Jun 2008

A picture taken by Mount Wilson Observatory just a few days ago

Creepy :P
Jul 25, 2009 6:34 AM

Apr 2009
No tactics, and (what do you know) it's significantly better.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Jul 26, 2009 2:34 AM

Jun 2009
Mawootad said:
No tactics, and (what do you know) it's significantly better.

I smell hater.. seriously though, if all your gonna do is talk crap about the show and not even discuss it. Then go write a blog or something about how crappy the FIRST 3 episodes of a 110 episode show is.

As for me, i'm loving the show so far. Yang is a terrific main character, it's awesome i can already tell this early in the series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 2, 2009 7:08 AM

Jan 2009
Orkel said:

A picture taken by Mount Wilson Observatory just a few days ago

Creepy :P

WHAT.

Anyway, I enjoyed the fact that Yang could hold down a group of 16 with just something that he'd use for watering the lawn. A testament to his abilities? I'd like to say so. :D
Aug 6, 2009 10:30 PM

Feb 2009
This series is shedding light on how some so called democracies can be corrupt from the core. I've lived in a country which is called a republic but the system is even worse than a dictatorship with the help of religion. I can totally relate with what they showed of the free planets system so far.

@Ranivus:

In many cases people don't get important posts in governments like that due to their excellence or because they deserve it. In fact it works vice versa most of the time. Best example of such systems are found in so called republic systems in middle east and some African countries.

Dec 17, 2009 4:07 AM

Apr 2009
loved the episode <3
now he's a rear admiral..
the next fights are going to be awesome x)
Dec 30, 2009 6:24 AM

Sep 2009
Oh my, that's a democratic republic?
Jan 17, 2010 7:18 AM

Aug 2009
This episode made me really like Yang, the water hose thing was hilarious

poor Jessica :( The use of that name in a sci-fi show definitely makes me think of the Dune series though... coincidence?

I love that they are getting into the political stuff so early in the series, and actually doing a good job of portraying it unlike some animes that I won't name...
Jun 2, 2010 5:20 PM

Jul 2008
This is the first episode I could really get behind. I think I'll like the political stuff way more than the battle scenes.

BEGINNER
Jul 16, 2010 12:55 AM

Jun 2008
The Free Planets Alliance is not a free society at all. From the outside, it appears to be freedom and wonderful, but at it's core, the government is no better than the Empire. The show is quick to criticize both forms of government. Democracy or Autocracy - It's all corrupt and immoral.
Jul 16, 2010 6:08 PM
Jun 2010
Good episode. Focuses on the Alliance only, we see the "flaws" of the "democratic" system, Jessica getting surrounded by hockey players. They could have given them laser pistols or something... They uses HE grenades but no gun? I guess Jessica's survival is important for the series.

After stressing how it was impossible taking out Iserlohn Fortress in the last episode it will be intersting to see how Yang attempts to do so with half of a regular fleet.

Yeah, more mission impossible tactics, I like it !

Aug 9, 2010 10:25 AM

May 2010
This anime is picking up really quickly. Each episode has been better than the last, and it looks like the kind of lame tactics from eps. 1&2 won't work against Iserlohn Fortress, so maybe those will be upgraded into something awesome as well.
“Money can't buy dere”
Aug 11, 2010 5:12 PM

Jan 2010
oh no i downloaded a version of the anime that doesn't include the epic op song -_-

at last an episode that made sense!
and the world really would've needed a Jessica 60 years ago to tell those deuchebag leaders that they are a bunch of cowards...hear me Hitler?

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 15, 2010 6:25 PM

May 2010
I thought Yang's father was a nuclear engineer, not a merchant.

Also, why is it that they need 18 men to suppress one unarmed woman? I don't understand this lol

The freedom to "not get involved" is perhaps the most valued freedom we have in this country
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 18, 2010 8:35 AM

Sep 2008
Confucius said:
I thought Yang's father was a nuclear engineer, not a merchant.

from what I remember of spiral labyrinth, I'm pretty sure he was a captain of a merchant ship
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 8, 2011 2:36 PM

Aug 2010
Very enjoyable episode.
Feb 19, 2011 8:15 AM

Feb 2010
I am at episode 4 and I can't help but wonder what's so bad about the first season? I love the dialogue and Yang's words, they provide insights of social behavior.
Aug 9, 2011 2:01 PM
Jul 2010
Truniht has some fail politics going on. If those radicals had actually killed or even injured Jessica, the media would have raped the Secretary of Defense into the ground. Disregarding his apparently close association with violent extremists, no political figure could get heckled and then have the person in question show up hurt the next day. Practically begging for a scandal.

Yang is very quotable. In this episode alone we got some gems:
"I do hate soldiers, don't I? In this war I've come to hate them more and more."
"You're so impertinent, just like a kid. Kids grow by exploiting adults."
"Mrs., when your child grows up I think a peaceful age will arrive. There will be no need to force him to be a soldier."
Aug 9, 2011 5:50 PM
Jun 2011
That's a cool picture Orkle.

It really only matters who's in power as to whether government is corrupt and immoral. Yang even believes an Autocracy can be great if it's for the people, but the characteristics in that leader may not be passed down to the heirs...obviously he worded it different.
Aug 10, 2011 8:17 AM

Mar 2011
That's quite the corrupt leader the 'Free' Planets Alliance has right there. I guess this is where the saying, "Politicians start wars, and the soldiers have to fight them." or something like that.
Mar 7, 2012 10:38 AM

Feb 2012
It was interesting to see glimpses of what kind of democracy the alliance is. There are always problems with representation and it seems that in this case the society has slipped more towards oligarchy. However, we do not know at this point whether the Secretary of Defense is voicing out popular opinions. It seemed that his message was accepted by the audience so it's possible that the majority believes in the war and that the loss of freedom that the common goal entails is actually liberty. But even if the people are behind the leaders, it just means that the society is ruled by the tyranny of the majority if it's acceptable to silence dissenting voices.

In other words, there's no reason to assume that the alliance is not a real democracy. Rather, the series is showing possible flaws in the democratic system.
Mar 20, 2012 8:46 PM

Aug 2010
Yang is turning out to be a great character. I see a lot of potential in this show.
Mar 30, 2012 11:01 PM
Jan 2010
Can't say I liked this episode, though I will continue watching. I'm starting to think this show is making fun of Americans. While the wife did overreact and publicly, I find it hard to believe any man would beat up a woman like that, hate these guys. I seriously hope the government isn't in control of these goons, otherwise I'm gonna lose it.

I say he should ditch the army and join the other side and bring his friends and that girl along. Let em all rot.
Apr 10, 2012 10:04 AM

Feb 2012
My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars -> Overture to a New War -> Episode 3

That's the only way I'm ever watching this series again and the only way I'll recommend it to someone else. The transition between Overture and this episode wasn't perfect (Yang's conversation with Julian about him wanting to become a soldier was awkward after a similar conversation in Overture, Yang's promotion was repeated, and it looks like Reinhard's audience with the Kaiser will be repeated next episode), and episodes 1 and 2 had a little bit of content that Overture didn't (notably, information about Iserlohn Foretress and Phezzan). But, at the same time, 1) the transition was good enough, 2) Overture was a substantially better version of the Battle of Astarte, and 3) there was a large leap in script quality between episode 2 and episode 3. I didn't dislike episodes 1 and 2, per se, but I don't think they have a place in the series at this point in time.

Luthimal said:
Yang is very quotable.

Seriously. I feel like I could wrap a pair of quotation marks around every sentence that comes from his mouth and post it to a place like Quotations Page. "The freedom to 'not get involved' is perhaps the most valued freedom we have in this country." Chilling. I also love his quip against Truniht through the TV screen:

Truniht: "Citizens, I dare to ask! Why did 1,500,000 soldiers die?!"
Yang: "Because the chief executives' planning directives were unwise."
May 22, 2012 7:24 PM

Jun 2009
"The freedom to 'not get involved' is perhaps the most valued freedom we have in this country."

Great line. Stuff like this is one of the many reasons why Yang is probably one of the greatest characters in anime. It seems like every line he speaks is significant and full of wisdom.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 24, 2012 2:54 PM

Mar 2009
Starting to see what all the hype is about!
Yang is pure win!!

Reinghardd is fantastic as well!!

A very intelligent show, and I already love the war tactics. I'm sure they just get better an better.

I'm gonna try to marathon this one, we'll see how that goes!

Urahara Out!!
Nov 3, 2012 10:00 AM

Mar 2012
I really like Yang's "Kids grow by exploiting adults line," myself.

Great episode! That women at the end saying, "Both my husband and my son achieved glorious death in battle fighting in the Alliance Forces," then asking Yang to encourage her son who wants to be a soldier was just the saddest thing. Yang's "...when that child grows up, I think a peaceful age will arrive," was perfect. So far all my favorite moments in this series have been all these little things that take place outside of battle. The Bolero battle in the movie was great, sure, but all these little world and character building moments are what really get me excited about this series. At the same time, though, I also look forward to when the battles become grander and more strategic.
Dec 15, 2012 2:35 AM

Jun 2009
@ link9us

You are clearly posting on the wrong forums. You are watching "Legend of the Legendary Heroes" right? You are posting on the Legend of the Galactic Heroes forum and spoiling events for that other show in the process.

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 4, 2013 10:27 AM

Jul 2012
I love the focus this episode had on ''The Free Planets Alliance'' and that they were quite the opposite. It reminded me of the book nineteen-eighty four by George Orwell where there were party's called; the ministry of truth, ministry of love etc. that worked against those very same things.
May 9, 2013 5:57 PM
Jul 2018
The first time I saw a pic of Yang Wenli, I knew I'm going to like him. He is a very qouteable character. My favorite character in this show for now.
May 29, 2013 3:20 PM

Nov 2011
Jessica was so bold to stand before the statists. She almost died by the hand of the side her husband died fighting for. :S

The "freedom to not get involved"...That's true in any democracy, I'm sure. :\
Sep 7, 2013 7:17 PM

Nov 2009
Was an okay episode. I just feel like their isn't to much emotion going on with the events somehow, things happen to "suddenly" ... But anyways have high hopes for this series.
Jan 25, 2014 7:06 AM
Apr 2013
It all seems a bit far-fetched, unoriginal, clichéd and pretentious.
I'm not sure this is living up to my expectations...
Jan 25, 2014 7:56 AM

Jun 2009
HiNT74 said:
It all seems a bit far-fetched, unoriginal, clichéd and pretentious.
I'm not sure this is living up to my expectations...

If you haven't watched the movies My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War, I recommend doing so. Even if you don't this show will get better. Just have faith.

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 4, 2014 1:01 PM

Sep 2008
Ah, Alliance has it's own secret police/ make-annoying-guys-disappear force. Apparently they just wanted to scare Jessica and beat her up a little as they showed up as a big group to scare her. Except they didn't manage to keep heir heads cool after Yang showed up and rescued Jessica. That firehose scene was hilarious. xD

I like Yang, he is saying great quote material nearly every time he opens his mouth.
Feb 20, 2014 4:37 AM

Jul 2009
Some recent events in the news made me think back to this episode. If want to see something of a real life equivalent to the PKC, look to the Russian Cossacks.
May 1, 2014 12:49 AM

Apr 2013
I thought this was going to turn into a hentai when all those guys in masks surrounded Jessica. Truniht and the PKC, I dislike these kind of people. I hope they get their comeuppance.
ElmmMay 1, 2014 12:54 AM
May 29, 2014 6:06 PM

Sep 2012
This show is really good so far. I love the soundtrack of it, the classical music just gives a relaxing air to some of the more tension-filled scenes. It somehow works.

I think I like Yang more than Reinhard at this point. It's too early to tell still, but Yang seems to just be more relatable and nicer and he makes me laugh sometimes, while Reinhard is cool but nothing more than that.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
May 31, 2014 10:41 PM

Sep 2011
This yang guy is so freaking likable already.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 20, 2014 8:21 PM

Jul 2012
I skipped the first two episodes because I watched it in movie form (Overture) and went directly to this.

It's amazing. So much stuff happened in just this episode alone.

JizzyHitler said:
This yang guy is so freaking likable already.

adamantine said:
This is the first episode I could really get behind. I think I'll like the political stuff way more than the battle scenes.

This.
Jul 20, 2014 8:50 PM

Jun 2009
mayukachan said:
I skipped the first two episodes because I watched it in movie form (Overture) and went directly to this.

I feel like you may have missed a scene then. There is a scene at the end, I believe, of episode 2 in a grave yard where Yang meets Jessica. Maybe that was in the movie, though. I can't remember.

- Geralt of Rivia
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 25, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.