Forum Settings
Forums

What do people complain about that they shouldn't?

New
Sep 15, 2019 6:33 AM

Jul 2016
What do people complain about in anime that you don't? Animation quality is insignificant to me.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 15, 2019 6:35 AM

Oct 2010
They complain that it's too much ecchi in a serious show. I never complain about ecchi, in fact, there is not enough ecchi.
Sep 15, 2019 7:25 AM
Haru Choi

Mar 2012
Fandom's and the Anime's they hate. I understand some Fandom's can be A LOT, but can't people just stay away from those fandom's? Not talking about everyone, but I know some people like go out of their way to complain about it. It's like we get it, you dont like that Anime and its fandom, move on.

Sep 15, 2019 7:53 AM
Feb 2017
Animation quality should be an important factor, strange you think otherwise.

For me it would have to be art style. Examples being Mob Psycho, Code Geass, and Ping Pong (even though I haven’t seen it). Some styles are chosen for a reason, and sometimes even if it’s different by just a smidge from the same art we see in every show it’s immediately looked at strangely.
Sep 15, 2019 7:54 AM

Mar 2018
Lack of realism in a story that's not trying to be realistic all the time and made sure to convey that early on
poop
Sep 15, 2019 7:55 AM
Sep 2018
Well we all don't like certain things so I think people can complain whatever they want unless they overdo it. After that idgaf lol..
Sep 15, 2019 7:57 AM

Jul 2017
product placement
ok you dont like capitalism you rebellious teen and you love browsing reddit for your free thinking so cool
Sep 15, 2019 8:16 AM

Jan 2017
Why do they make this kind of anime? It's clearly that no one gonna watch this garbage! God I hate J.C.Staff because they ruined OPM.
Sep 15, 2019 8:41 AM

Jan 2009
they complain that mecha genre is bad
Sep 15, 2019 8:59 AM

Dec 2018
I think (almost) any complaint is valid as long as it’s presented in a subjective manor and they aren’t trying to make their opinion “objective”. And even then, some complaints can be made objectively.

It cracks me up when people complain about stuff that is to be expected from the respective genre though lol. I.E. calling an ecchi harem bad because it’s main focus was sexual comedy and fanservice, or a thriller bad because it’s dark themes offended you. The heck did you expect you were getting into?

As for OPs statement, I can definitely understand complaints about both animation and art style, especially animation. I think I’d you spend enough time watching or playing something under 10 frames per second you’ll grow to appreciate smooth animation. As for art style, an unappealing art style usually isn’t enough to dissuade me from watching something all together, but I’ll definitely take note of it. There’s one anime I absolutely refuse to watch because I find the art style to be less appealing than a kindergarteners scribbles. I can’t remember the name but it’s an anime about a revolution in France or Spain or some EU country.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Sep 15, 2019 9:48 AM
Jul 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
What do people complain about in anime that you don't? Animation quality is insignificant to me.

You should give Hanoka a try, then. Might be right up your alley.
Sep 15, 2019 10:35 AM
Jul 2019
The vitriol people have for "manservice" shows like Free! annoys/amuses me. You get multiple ecchi harem shows each season that overtly pander to the male gaze, but one or two anime a year offering fairly subtle fanservice for the female viewer and it's the end of the world.
Sep 15, 2019 10:57 AM

Oct 2017
Absolutely everything. There is nothing about which people won't find a way to complain.

Seriously though. Aside from the obvious stuff like fan service, animation quality, isekai and other tropes, I think it isn't so much about what people complain about, but how they complain.

If someone says they don't like something because it isn't to their tastes because they see it as bad in whatever way and for whatever reason, that's cool. But when people say certain things are objectively bad, and then not even bad on any reasonable level, but bad for dumb reasons based on subjective beliefs, that is something people... well, I want to say they should keep it to themselves, but you know what? I really don't mind people voicing whatever problems as long as they do it in the right way.

Like, I'm always defending certain thing against people who seem really angry and write these vitriolic hate-filled comments. But if someone said, in a calm, reasoned manner - in a way that told me they were actually interested in a conversation - exactly the reasons they didn't like whatever the thing is, then I wouldn't get tilted and would engage that person in conversation. But that's not how people tend to phrase themselves.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 15, 2019 11:27 AM

Oct 2017
IpreferEcchi said:

I'm the same with animation quality. People will often say "but anime is short for animation, that's what it's about" but it's like... it's a storytelling medium first and foremost. And, visually, art style is still way more important because who wants to see ugly art animated well (except MP100 fans, of course)?

Good animation will enhance something I enjoy by a small amount, but I need to enjoy it in the first place. I can't enjoy a show for its animation alone. Art style on the other hand can have quite a big influence.

I eneded up expanding on this quit a lot in a response further down this post.

_Ridley_ said:
The vitriol people have for "manservice" shows like Free! annoys/amuses me. You get multiple ecchi harem shows each season that overtly pander to the male gaze, but one or two anime a year offering fairly subtle fanservice for the female viewer and it's the end of the world.

I can't say I see much of those complaints. Do you get it in discussion threads for those shows? Any kind of even vaguely homophobic comments get downvoted to oblivion on Reddit so I'd recommend checking out r/anime to avoid such stuff. Not saying it's OK when it's on here and you should go away or anything. But, as I say, I don't see it very much on the AD board here myself.

Honestly, I think most ecchi fans, myself included, welcome those types of anime because it shows the fan service isn't all one direction. Even though it mostly is in anime. Manga on the other hand has a thriving scene for such content, or so I hear.

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
IpreferEcchi said:

You should give Hanoka a try, then. Might be right up your alley.

Wow, made with Flash? And that score... is it just people complaining about the animation?

Catalano said:
They complain that it's too much ecchi in a serious show. I never complain about ecchi, in fact, there is not enough ecchi.

Preach.

BlakexEkalb said:
Animation quality should be an important factor, strange you think otherwise.

For me it would have to be art style. Examples being Mob Psycho, Code Geass, and Ping Pong (even though I haven’t seen it). Some styles are chosen for a reason, and sometimes even if it’s different by just a smidge from the same art we see in every show it’s immediately looked at strangely.

It should be an important factor? What gives you the right to decide what matters to other people?

And if we're going to go the objective route, then I'll repeat what I said earlier in this comment and expand upon it. Anime is a storytelling medium first and foremost. That is where the majority of the artistry is. The next biggest artistic factor is art style, the still image, character design, environment / world design... making these things look distinctive and with an aim to create an emotional effect. A good design can add so much to a character by bringing them to life. Re-l from Ergo Proxy, the Monogatari girls, Saber from Fate, Asuka/Rei from Evangelion... these are all characters whose distincitve, memorable design has a huge impact.

But animation quality is mostly a product of time and money. It's a mechanical aspect. You can measure the quality of animation with numerical quantities. You could literally train an A.I to rank anime by animation quality. Quality of art style and story is much more of a deep, human, soulful aspect.

But all that's only if I choose to approach the subject objectively. You're free to value the technical prowess that exists in high quality, fluid animation. But other people are free to value other aspects of anime.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 15, 2019 11:33 AM
Aug 2015
heg said:
they complain that mecha genre is bad

I completely agree, Granbelm this season got massively underrated due to it being a mecha, tons gave it 1 star as soon as they saw mechas, its the hidden gem of this season
Sep 15, 2019 11:46 AM

Apr 2017
Hokage_Jason said:

It cracks me up when people complain about stuff that is to be expected from the respective genre though lol. I.E. calling an ecchi harem bad because it’s main focus was sexual comedy and fanservice, or a thriller bad because it’s dark themes offended you. The heck did you expect you were getting into?

Agree 100% I've seen way too many posts with misdirected anger towards productions that totally met their mark.
People have a right to complain but should be able to fully understand the context of what they're watching before making any bold statements based on their misunderstandings.
People shouldn't complain about how other people feel about their complaining:/

Sep 15, 2019 11:47 AM

Jul 2017
title and post are conflicting lel

but I say romance's that are "randomly thrown in" like KADO for instance. I get when a romance is too forced for the sake of plot like Suzuka, but I never really complain whenever a romance is thrown in so long as the 2 are shippable

YossaRedMage said:
_Ridley_ said:

I can't say I see much of those complaints. Do you get it in discussion threads for those shows? Any kind of even vaguely homophobic comments get downvoted to oblivion on Reddit so I'd recommend checking out r/anime to avoid such stuff. Not saying it's OK when it's on here and you should go away or anything. But, as I say, I don't see it very much on the AD board here myself.

Honestly, I think most ecchi fans, myself included, welcome those types of anime because it shows the fan service isn't all one direction. Even though it mostly is in anime. Manga on the other hand has a thriving scene for such content, or so I hear.

It's the biggest complaint the show gets though, similar case with Yuri on Ice
Sep 15, 2019 11:49 AM

Jul 2016
Short_Circut said:

They're not conflicting. Should and shouldn't are subjective to the person speaking about them.
Sep 15, 2019 11:50 AM

Sep 2014
HeadlessHorseman said:
People can complain about whatever they want, that's a part of freedom of speech. Of course, they may look rather foolish when doing so, but they also have a right to be a fool.

Best example I can think of is those who complain about mecha, yet have usually seen 3 or less (sometimes 0) entries into the genre, usually Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, and/or NGE being among them, at which point they may claim those series are somehow "exceptions," or "the best within the genre," or "that they have the best characters in mecha," etc.

yeah, fucking classic

'i hate mecha except for code geass and gurren lagann because they ahve more than just mecha!'
>checks list
>literally not a single other mecha show in there or maybe aldnoah zero at most

yeah right, they have this idea pulled straight out of their asses that the other mecha shows are nothing but robots fighting and have no characters, no plots, no drama and intrigue, nothing else but robots and robots

yeeeep, that's how you spot a retarded person
Sep 15, 2019 11:52 AM

Jun 2017
people complain too much about complaints that other people make about anime :p
Sep 15, 2019 12:02 PM

Oct 2010
I can't think of something in general. It's rather a mix of specifics concerning certain shows and wrong expectations or implausible interpretations of their content or intent. There's a lot of dumb and unjustified complaints over there, but they are so within the bounds of what a specific show or genre offers.
Sep 15, 2019 12:13 PM

Sep 2014
In general, I don't think like there's a wrong thing to complain about. People can be disappointed with, and dislike, anything about a show and that is totally fine. as long as it's about own reasons for not enjoying something - everything goes

However, when it's getting into all the bigger discussions about how good/bad something is, and not merely expressing own personal feelings, or even the stupid shit of 'overrated and underrated' and 'objective quality' (bit of a BS IMO, but still) is where I could start talking about 'should and shouldn't'. What I mean by that, is that I find it baffling when people try to measure every show in existence with the same metric. Talking about lack of development of characters where it's not necessary or even doesn't make sense. Criticizing a complete comedy anime for having 'no plot' or characters not being complex. Trashing an ecchi show for 'excessive fanservice' and all that bullshit like that.

Generally, misunderstanding a show's intents and goals, criticizng it for not doing something it never meant to do (or doing what it meant to do), trying to present own preferences and failed expectations as the show's fault (like, this is bad because X ended up with Y, or A won the fight with B). General strawman arguments (my favourite classic 'eva is bad because the christian imagery doesn't mean anything.' YEAH RIGHT IT FUCKING DOESN'T AND NO ONE EVER PRETENDED IT'S OTHERWISE, it's a stylistic choice meant to create the atmosphere/feel of the show, not to hide some deep second meaning, stupid twats)
ImaishiSep 15, 2019 12:17 PM
Sep 15, 2019 12:15 PM

Dec 2012
Everything. Name something no matter how benign and some Whiny MCComplainerson will rant about how much they hate it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 15, 2019 12:23 PM

Apr 2017
Meh they can complain about everything if u ask me.

Maybe lack of realism? We don't need that in our japanese stuff.

Catalano said:

also this.
Sep 15, 2019 12:46 PM

Nov 2015
When people complain about how bad dub/sub is when they watch the opposite. Like, seriously? You only watch one language because you don't like the other; I get that. But that doesn't correlate it to being 'bad'.

If someone is dub only, they can say that they don't like reading or don't like the sound of the Japanese VAs and that's fine. But you don't get to complain about how bad they are or about how terrible sub is in general just because you don't prefer it.

Same for people who are sub only. You can enjoy the more 'authentic' translation and absolutely love the presentation and direction and everything like that. But you cannot say that dub is inherently bad just because it's not what you like.

There might be a specific show that has a few issues - in either language - but you just can't generalize like that, man.
Sep 15, 2019 12:55 PM

Aug 2019
Complaining about a lack of realism in a fantasy show designed for teenagers.
Sep 15, 2019 1:00 PM

Apr 2015
When people complain about "too much fanservice" in ecchi shows.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Sep 15, 2019 1:03 PM

Jun 2019
Something being "too old" when it came out in like 2010. I try not to automatically look at the person saying this as either a shallow and vapid idiot, an 11 year-old, or both, but I fail every time.
Sep 15, 2019 1:05 PM

Jul 2017
IpreferEcchi said:
Short_Circut said:

They're not conflicting. Should and shouldn't are subjective to the person speaking about them.

No, your title states what do people complain about that they shouldn't whereas the actual post states what do people complain about that you don't

In other words, the former is asking for what you think people should not be complaining about, and the latter is asking what you don't care people are complaining about
Sep 15, 2019 1:22 PM

May 2018
epicyarnboy said:
Granbelm this season got massively underrated due to it being a mecha, tons gave it 1 star as soon as they saw mechas, its the hidden gem of this season

The mechs of Granbelm are quite repulsive tho.
I would totally understand when people react like "Wow, is that mecha? I would never watch this again.".

I mean Granbelm is mahou shoujo with really ugly and dysfunctional mechs in it.
People shouldn't take it for a genuine representation of mecha.
Sep 15, 2019 1:34 PM
Aug 2015
alshu said:
epicyarnboy said:
Granbelm this season got massively underrated due to it being a mecha, tons gave it 1 star as soon as they saw mechas, its the hidden gem of this season

The mechs of Granbelm are quite repulsive tho.
I would totally understand when people react like "Wow, is that mecha? I would never watch this again.".

I mean Granbelm is mahou shoujo with really ugly and dysfunctional mechs in it.
People shouldn't take it for a genuine representation of mecha.

The recent episodes have been amazing, the plot twist was one of the best I have seen in anime
Sep 15, 2019 1:56 PM

Feb 2018
Anything that's part of a stories premise. I'm not going to say a premise can't be flawed, but almost every complaint I've heard in that vain makes no sense.

For example, when people complain about how the leads in Kaguya-sama are stated to geniuses, but their plans are overly complicated and doomed to failure. Like yeah, that's the idea, the story is literally about 2 socially awkward dorks who can't admit they're in love with each other and resort to substandard mind games as a result.

Or when people complain about adolescence disease not being explained in Bunny Girl Senpai. Common dudes, if they knew that information it would completely upend the stories plot and world to the point where it wouldn't be the same story anymore.

Anyone's free to not like those elements, but that's not the same as them being poorly implemented into the story. It just makes me wish I was given a bit more than "the stories premise doesn't appeal to me," ya know?
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Sep 15, 2019 3:42 PM
Jul 2018
IpreferEcchi said:

i've ever seen someone complaining about subtitle on non non biyori
Sep 15, 2019 3:51 PM

Oct 2013
Well the vast majority of people seem to have a much bigger problem with fanservice than I and a few others do.
Sep 16, 2019 12:28 AM

May 2018
epicyarnboy said:

The recent episodes have been amazing

Maybe, I don't watch it...but still it's mainly mahou shoujo and mecha only technically speaking.
Also...ugliest mechs ever.
Sep 18, 2019 6:08 AM

Jan 2013
alshu said:
epicyarnboy said:

The recent episodes have been amazing

Maybe, I don't watch it...but still it's mainly mahou shoujo and mecha only technically speaking.
Also...ugliest mechs ever.
Ugliest mechs ever?
Come on, I know you're just exaggerating.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Sep 18, 2019 6:36 AM
Jan 2018
Esquirtit said:
Lack of realism in a story that's not trying to be realistic all the time and made sure to convey that early on

I agree with this . And I have a feeling I know which one you might being hinting at
Sep 18, 2019 6:52 AM

May 2018
Cabron said:

Come on, I know you're just exaggerating.

Maybe...a little bit...
But I have seen horrible mechs like the ones in Makyou Densetsu Acrobunch, Orguss (those in the OVA were cool tho) and more recently in Knight's & Magic.

Come one, try to outbid Granbelm!
Sep 18, 2019 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
Because they worship objectivity to the point of exaggeration in every aspect of entertainment and putting aside the enjoyment values and their actual genuine impression. Also automatically hating on an anime title because of its supposedly not so good fanbase, that's insane pal. 🔥
Sep 19, 2019 12:55 PM

Sep 2016
Catalano said:

THIS, we need more of ecchi included.
Somehow not depressed.
Sep 19, 2019 3:27 PM
Nov 2018
People shouldn't complain about the premise of a show. Unless the premise is ridiculous.

"You can't actually punch out a lion with one blow!" No, but the premise of this show is to have a very strong antagonist, who can only be defeated not by strength but by being very clever. So therefore we get to see the hero's group be very clever, which is what we want.

However, people also shouldn't say "Oh, lol you expect realism in a show that has magic?" when someone points out illogical things in a show.

That the show has magic is the premise. That's one thing. That does NOT mean that objects fall slower. Or that someone who got upset over murder just last scene suddenly doesn't get upset over it anymore. Or that someone who walks through a revolving door after someone else comes out ahead of him - and so on.

The whole point of magic, or superpowers, is that they are fantastic because the rest of the world follows the ordinary laws of nature. And logic is always logic. That magic or superpowers exist isn't an excuse for the producers to be sloppy, or just not care about logic in a scene because they can't make things work. And people shouldn't complain when someone points that out.
Sep 19, 2019 3:34 PM

Apr 2018
Second seasons. If u want to know the story just read the source
Sep 19, 2019 3:43 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Most unfounded is "there's too much ecchi," which admittedly has died down a bit since a couple of years ago but is still far too prevalent relative to the amount of content there actually is

It is like most of you see people complaining about it loudly and therefore assume it must be true

I mean, I wish it were true, as somebody who actively prioritizes this type of content, but uhhhhh, no
ManabanSep 19, 2019 3:46 PM

Sep 19, 2019 5:15 PM

May 2014
I can't say there is anything somebody "shouldn't" complain about, but I do believe complaints about art style are stupid. I also don't value the "too much ecchi" complaint for shows like Kill la Kill.
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Sep 19, 2019 6:09 PM
Jul 2018
Usually people complain about lighthearted moments (including expressions and beach/hot spring/festival episodes) in any serious anime being out of place. But I don't (unless it's something like Akame ga Kill).
Sep 19, 2019 6:25 PM

Sep 2016
Most of the time it's the wording people use when they complain. I think some people forget this is someone else's art and come across as pretentious d-bags.

Sep 23, 2019 8:52 AM

Aug 2017
It depends. If I don't like the anime, I'm going to complain a lot.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 23, 2019 5:06 PM

Sep 2019
Stereotypes is a pretty common complain. Flaws of logic, annoying characters, pacing, the adaption itself, animation also comes as a complain. Pretty much all of this depends of personal taste
Sep 23, 2019 8:18 PM

Mar 2019
Adding onto the fan-service complaining, is people who complain about cute girls in anime. You are watching a Japanese product. Japan loves kawaii cuteness, it seems silly to me for someone to claim to love a Japanese product and then complain about something that is such a big part of Japan's culture.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2019 8:41 PM

Jun 2014
When someone complained (or lowered their score) because their waifu didn't end up with the mc.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 24 minutes ago

5 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9073 by Kenny_Stryker »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

68 by RobertBobert »»
5 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

13 by epidemia78 »»
23 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

52 by LNW_R92CP »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.