Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2019 9:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kagura is here! Lol, she made a cameo in episode 3 but is in full force this time. Can't keep her hands or eyes off of Kyo!

She's so direct about her feelings that I find it pretty funny tbh. Poor Kyo. His life got even more hectic. That uppercut LOL. Thought this episode is more amusing than some of the others. Thanks Kagura. Also glad to see Kyo and Tohru get some alone time together this episode.

Stark700Apr 26, 2019 11:33 AM
Apr 26, 2019 11:38 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Holy crap, Kagura is a riot! Love her antics.

Once again, Tohru getting to Kyou-kun on the rooftop was just really amazing, her enthusiasm is infectious and makes me smile.
Apr 26, 2019 11:41 AM

Jun 2016
It was a really nice episode! But i just wanted them too keep the scene were kagura rip kyo's shirt, it was hilarious in the original but i guess the manga didnt have it then.
Anyway, seeing Tohru helping everyone around her really warms up my heart, she's such an angel :)
And that scene with Yuki and the mail man ahah
Apr 26, 2019 11:47 AM

Mar 2017
Im watching gintama at the same time and hearing kaguras voice here is nice
Apr 26, 2019 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
A nice episode. Kagura is an interesting peroson.
Poor Kyo, getting all those punches from Kagura.

Apr 26, 2019 12:25 PM

Aug 2006
Kagura is probably my least favorite of all the Soumas. I've just never cared for her character at all. *sigh* I guess I'm going to be in the minority.
Apr 26, 2019 12:39 PM

Apr 2008
I am watching this is out of curiosity. To see what I will like and dislike after so many years.

This episode it was so obvious that this is based on old manga with things other than that they don't have smartphones with comments like:

"Marriage is woman's greatest dream" - Eh? Really?
Kyo thinking that martial arts must be an uninteresting topic to a woman. - Rather sexist by today's standards.
Come to think there are clear traditional gender roles in this story. Woman are doing cooking and cleaning and Kagura even learnt to cook for a guy.

I have never thought about it in the past, but I think I now know why I have never liked Kagura. She just follows a guy who is clearly uninterested in her. I have never liked characters, men or women, who are obviously in love and after some other character who shows zero interest in them. I don't remember finding it romantic ever. It rather looked to me like the characters in love lack sense to do something with their lives and move on.

Lain666Apr 26, 2019 12:51 PM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Oct 2018
AyumiVk said:
It was a really nice episode! But i just wanted them too keep the scene were kagura rip kyo's shirt, it was hilarious in the original but i guess the manga didnt have it then.
Anyway, seeing Tohru helping everyone around her really warms up my heart, she's such an angel :)

Actually, the anime does not exactly follow the manga. For example, Momiji's appearance in episode 3 happens after Kagura leaves in the manga. And if I remember correctly, she burns down the kitchen in the manga, doesn't break the 1st floor's floor. And her friendship with Tohru starts when Tohru helps her repairing the doors during the night by bringing onigiri and making various animal-shaped papers. The first anime is actually closer to the manga on this part.
But still, lovely episode, I really like how this is going. ^^

Apr 2011
Chelle said:
Kagura is probably my least favorite of all the Soumas. I've just never cared for her character at all. *sigh* I guess I'm going to be in the minority.

Same here, she's just sooo clingy and annoying to me, whatever the reason she has...
Apr 26, 2019 12:47 PM

Sep 2017
Chelle said:

I'm anime only, but I'm willing to bet I'll feel the same after meeting them all. That character archetype gets old real fast. I only end up feeling bad for Kyou and hating Kagura. Thank god she's gone. And I serious question Tooru's character for saying she want's to be like Kagura.

Also "it's every girls dream to get married" or whatever Tooru said. Please. I can at least accept that as the type of person she is, but it doesn't stop me from rolling my eyes upon reading it.
Apr 26, 2019 12:55 PM

Feb 2018
Lain666 said:
I have never thought about it in the past, but I think I now know why I have never liked Kagura. She just follows a guy who is clearly uninterested in her. I have never liked characters, men or women, who are obviously in love and after some other character who shows zero interest in them. I don't remember finding it romantic ever. It rather looked to me like the characters in love lack sense to do something with their lives and move on.

But you have Nodame Cantabile in your favorites?
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Apr 26, 2019 1:01 PM

Nov 2016
I actually like Kagura and you gotta love Kugimiya Rie, but I wouldn't want to mess with her xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 26, 2019 1:19 PM
Aug 2018
Sakuya_Sasaki_33 said:
AyumiVk said:

Actually, the anime does not exactly follow the manga. For example, Momiji's appearance in episode 3 happens after Kagura leaves in the manga. And if I remember correctly, she burns down the kitchen in the manga, doesn't break the 1st floor's floor. And her friendship with Tohru starts when Tohru helps her repairing the doors during the night by bringing onigiri and making various animal-shaped papers. The first anime is actually closer to the manga on this part.
But still, lovely episode, I really like how this is going. ^^

oh the scenes you mention is in the first anime right? Its not included as well on the manga... both version added some scenes 😊 but I like the added scenes on both versions though I might say its a little bit sexist.. in the first anime... both girls doing a laundry, and this one is cooking for the boys.. well anyway typical old Japanese culture I might say.
Apr 26, 2019 1:22 PM
Sep 2018
Idk why but that counter slow mo attacked looked rip off attack of Xiayou from tekken 7 which is her rage art
Apr 26, 2019 1:25 PM
Apr 2016
Oh god Kyo is such a stubborn child, he's so annoying...
Apr 26, 2019 1:40 PM

Apr 2008
axel360 said:
Lain666 said:

Chiaki cared about Nodame in his own way form what I remember even at the beginning.

Or maybe it was more palatable because in the case of Nodame Cantabile there was more to the lives of the main characters than their relationship with one another. I would have re-watch it. Never mind this is not a topic for Nodame Cantabile.

I wonder how popular Fruits Basket will be with the newer and younger fans of shoujo. It seems to lack the appeal of the newer shoujo series where fans are cheering when the heroine does something badass like in Akatsuki no Yona or resourcefulness of characters like Shirayuki, who can get out of troubles on her own.

I wonder to what degree they find Tooru relateable if at all?
Lain666Apr 26, 2019 1:44 PM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Apr 26, 2019 1:49 PM
Feb 2019
Will there be relation ship between the main girl (forgot her name) with the other characters? I know it wouldn't really work due to the zodiac thing and the main girl (forgot her name) may have to move back in with her grandpa, atleast I think that what the end was about.

(I haven't read manga or watched the original verson)
Apr 26, 2019 1:52 PM

Feb 2018
Lain666 said:
axel360 said:

Chiaki cared about Nodame in his own way form what I remember even at the beginning.

Or maybe it was more palatable because in the case of Nodame Cantabile there was more to the lives of the main characters than their relationship with one another. I would have re-watch it. Never mind this is not a topic for Nodame Cantabile.

I wonder how popular Fruits Basket will be with the newer and younger fans of shoujo. It seems to lack the appeal of the newer shoujo series where fans are cheering when the heroine does something badass like in Akatsuki no Yona or resourcefulness of characters like Shirayuki, who can get out of troubles on her own.

I wonder to what degree they find Tooru relateable if at all?

I like Nodame Cantabile, but if anything Chiaki showed even less interest than Kyou. Makes me wonder if Kagura was the MC of this series (and the character the audience was supposed to be "self-inserting" as), would she get this much backlash? Idk.

As far as Tohru, she's very sweet, but tbh I find her character a tad generic. Part of the reason Risa from LoveCom is my favorite shoujo protagonist (and one of my favorite characters period), is because how different I felt she was from most MCs.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Apr 26, 2019 1:53 PM

Apr 2008
Naewanz said:
Will there be relation ship between the main girl (forgot her name) with the other characters?

Yes, there will be. It is a shoujo romance manga. There is already foreshadowing with whom Tooru will end up.
Apr 26, 2019 1:56 PM

Aug 2016
Isn't it a blessing to have some care about you?

When they're an obsessive violent sociopath..........gonna go with no.

Poor Souma.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Apr 26, 2019 2:03 PM

Apr 2008
axel360 said:
I like Nodame Cantabile, but if anything Chiaki showed even less interest than Kyou. Makes me wonder if Kagura was the MC of this series (and the character the audience was supposed to be "self-inserting" as), would she get this much backlash? Idk.

Form what I remember Chiaki was doing cleaning, etc for Nodame in the beginning of the story. Kyo on the other hand is hiding from Kagura and tries to stay away from her.

As for Kagura, this episode didn't really show much about her other than that she is clingy about Kyo and that she learnt to cook for him.

axel360 said:

As far as Tohru, she's very sweet, but tbh I find her character a tad generic. Part of the reason Risa from LoveCom is my favorite shoujo protagonist (and one of my favorite characters period), is because how different I felt she was from most MCs.

About Tohru, I guess she may not be so popular now. Not that I care. Personally, I have never liked her. She was too bland and annoying for me even years ago.
Lain666Apr 26, 2019 2:08 PM
Apr 26, 2019 2:32 PM

Feb 2014
Poor Kyo. Dealing with her love for him must be 100 times for punishing than losing to Yuki in a fight. XD

Kagura's not going to be the most popular character here, mainly down to her constant beatdowns on Kyo, but her love for him is still honest and pure. Still, I did had a fun time seeing just how she would hurt Kyo next. Her move on him when he blocked her attack felt reminiscent of the Tekken franchise, which was nice. RIP T.V., though. D=

My favourite scene was with Kyo and Tohru on the rooftop. This was the first time that Tohru got to see Kyo talking so passionately about his master and he was always smiling when he was talking about his training. All in all, this was a great scene, both in the manga and here as well. ^_^
Apr 26, 2019 2:43 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
eh, i'm personally not a big fan of Kagura.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 26, 2019 2:54 PM

Jun 2014
Huh, a whole episode dedicated to Kagura, with extra scenes not in the manga? :O Wasn't expecting that. I thought since ep 3 was chapters 4 & 8, ep 4 would be chapters 5 & 9 and then hoped for chapters 6 & 7, before getting to 10+. I don't understand why they would make ep 4 follow only 1 chapter of the manga, do they plan to make 70 episodes (maybe 3 seasons of 25)? They better not start skipping any chapters later. <_< Maybe the mangaka wanted to make some bonding time between Tooru and Kagura and there wasn't enough time left for chapter 9. Well, at least we get chapter 6 in the next episode. And I hope they don't skip chapter 7.

Once again, the Kagura episode was much funnier in the old anime, even though the voice actors are doing a good job here too, the soundtrack plays a really big role. This reboot has a weak soundtrack so far IMO. Makes the enjoyment level much lover for me. The comedy is kinda really weak in this reboot. I liked it how in the old anime comedy and drama were both really good, it was a nice balance. Also, Tooru not having any eyelashes when her eyes are open is really annoying (since everyone else seems to have them).
SailorVekiApr 26, 2019 3:14 PM
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Apr 26, 2019 3:08 PM

Apr 2017
oh now i'm loving this anime. i'm slowly falling more and more in love with kyo - i'm a sucker for boys who are all tough on the outside but can only really be themselves around a certain person. lil baby kyo!!!!!! im!!!!!! AHHH i'm loving this more than i thought i would

also, i know i say this every single time, but i love that ending so damn much.
Apr 26, 2019 3:34 PM
Nov 2015
This Kagura is soooooo anoying. She made the episode hard to watch.
Apr 26, 2019 3:38 PM
Jul 2018
Lain666 said:
Naewanz said:
Will there be relation ship between the main girl (forgot her name) with the other characters?

Yes, there will be. It is a shoujo romance manga. There is already foreshadowing with whom Tooru will end up.
Not spoiling it, but I hate the couple pairings so I dropped the anime.
Apr 26, 2019 4:01 PM

Dec 2016
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Kugiyama as Kagura.
Mitsuishi Kotono gave her a really sweet childish voice in the 2001 adaptation and it made the contrast with her Tsun persona way funnier but also endearing. Kugiyama just feels like an obvious pick for her long life voicing Tsunderes.

I did like the Tohru & Kagura bonding scene after the convini scene. But the old version had better timming with them bonding while repairing Shigure's slides and eating Onigiri with umeboshi (wich is a great follow up from the previous episode about the umeboshi) Also as someone already mentioned, the music isn't there to hit me in the feels with the moments like the 2001 did.
Apr 26, 2019 4:08 PM

Aug 2009
YESS!!! Next episode is gonna be so good!!! Im so excited for the feels!!!
Apr 26, 2019 4:09 PM

Jun 2008
I honestly don't remember Kyo's having those abs, lol. and well the animation's quality dropped very much :/
I liked the old version best, it was way funnier than this. Also unlike the majority of people, I like Kagura a lot. At the very end I came to understand her. (I do not like her violence with Kyo and that is unforgivable but it's clearly done to be a comedy relief and when the "past" revelations are done, her relationship with Kyo will become significantly deeper and hence my opinion of her.) I cannot wait to see it animated, really.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Apr 26, 2019 4:10 PM

Mar 2010
That scene with Yuki and the mail man, it all happened so fast and it was hilarious hahahahahahaha
Apr 26, 2019 4:34 PM

Apr 2018
Oh noooooo, Tohru is gonna get separated from them! ;_;
Apr 26, 2019 4:45 PM

Aug 2018
Kyo really went through a lot of "Fatalities" (Mortal Kombat reference for those who missed it) this episode lol

I did not have a single clue about Kagura's sign, thank god they revealed it before the end ! Talking about ending, I'm also glad they did not leave us on a cliffhanger behind the call Tohru received... looks like she will stay in the Soma's residence a bit longer than expected.
Apr 26, 2019 4:46 PM

Nov 2011
Chelle said:
You're not. I dont hate her but yeah I just don't really care for her =/
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Apr 26, 2019 4:47 PM

Oct 2011
really liked this episode.... it's good to see they taking some time to introduce Kagura... after the last episodes, I though they would keep adapting two chapters in one....

anyway, Kagura have some funny new moves, XD (when Kyo blocked her attack, and she just throw some kung fu at him, lol )

the scene of Tohru and Kyo in the roof was great too ^^
Apr 26, 2019 4:49 PM

Dec 2014
Kagura is a cutie but a violent one at that. More Kugimiya Rie is always good though. xD

I kinda feel bad for Kyo-kun for being her punch bag but he's also lucky to be the target of her affectionate. Things sure are complicated for you, aren't they Kyo?

Loved the little talk Tohru had with Kyo on the roof. :)

Next episode seems to be complicating things?
Apr 26, 2019 5:04 PM

Dec 2016
Otorez said:
Kyo really went through a lot of "Fatalities" (Mortal Kombat reference for those who missed it) this episode lol

shakes head and sighs
Apr 26, 2019 5:16 PM

Oct 2007
I wish they'd kept more of the repairing the screens with the little juunishi animals, that was sweet, but oh well. And it might have shown more of Kagura's responsible side to show her cleaning everything she broke all by herself, like she insisted before. It might have helped her win over more viewers this time around.

Thinking about it, Fruits Basket really needs characters like Kagura who are over the top, to balance out the quietness of Tohru and the slight melancholy that the show dips into.

I really like the way they animated Kagura's boar form in this version, it's so much cuter looking!

This was never my favorite episode or character, but I'm looking forward to the next episode, which is a heart string-pulling favorite for sure.
Apr 26, 2019 5:30 PM

Sep 2011
I'm not a fan of Kagura's "tough love" to be honest, but her feelings seem to be genuine and it's nice to get to know another one of the twelve signs, and a girl to boot! Tooru, being all excited at the prospect of trying to guess which was Kagura's year, was adorable! Just like when she happily told Shigure that Kagura was the boar as if she deduced it herself after Kagura transformed in the end. xD And I love how Tooru's kindness was able to get to her even though she was on her guard with her.

Kyou and Tooru's shared moment in the roof was precious too. Honestly I don't remember anything about his master, but now I want to get to know him. Kyou was so happy while talking about those days that he has to be a nice guy! Oh and the way Yuki stole all the attention of the newspaper guy with his dazzling smile and warm greeting to safeguard their secret was gold. xD But because of that phone call the episode ended in a grim note, but I'm sure things will work out somehow. Oh, I'm also curious about Kyou's "true form".
Apr 26, 2019 6:03 PM
Apr 2012
Lain666 said:
This episode it was so obvious that this is based on old manga with things other than that they don't have smartphones with comments like:

"Marriage is woman's greatest dream" - Eh? Really?
Kyo thinking that martial arts must be an uninteresting topic to a woman. - Rather sexist by today's standards.
Come to think there are clear traditional gender roles in this story. Woman are doing cooking and cleaning and Kagura even learnt to cook for a guy.

To be fair, from what I've seen the japanese aren't as afraid of stereotyping as westerners are. In general, more boys than girls like martial, just as more girls dream about marrying than boys..
And Tohru is also very traditional and "girly"(from a japanese perspective at least) so her saying "Marriage is woman's greatest dream" is not that odd and with the personality she has she'd probably say the same in a more modern setting.

But maybe seeing someone call a manga that ran from 1998 to 2006 old makes me feel really old myself so that's probably why I'm defending it.
Apr 26, 2019 6:07 PM

Dec 2011
The eng dub this time had lines I preferred, like hurricane Kagura, haha. The bit about 'every girl's dream is to get married' was changed to 'everyone dreams there's someone out there for them,' now that's more relatable, esp since she's talking to Kyo. I miss the riceball scene from the original but this was cute too :)

Next episode should be really emotional with her grandpa/relatives, I'm anticipating a lot!
Apr 26, 2019 6:18 PM

Mar 2019
Omega-Zero said:
That scene with Yuki and the mail man, it all happened so fast and it was hilarious hahahahahahaha

That was my favourite scene, the guy just gliding away after a quick casual chat and palm to the face xD
Apr 26, 2019 6:49 PM

Sep 2008
Looks like this was mostly the same as episode 4 from the 2001 anime in that chapter 5's adapted, while adding in additional anime-only material to pad out the runtime of the episode.

-When Kagura attacks Kyo after he silences her from revealing anything further about his "true form", Kagura placed him in an armbar in the manga instead of uppercutting him.
-Pretty much, all scenes involving cooking and shopping focused around Kagura's jealousy of Tohru is anime-only.
-Due to the additional anime-only material, there is a removed manga scene showing Shigure telling Kagura to stay in a bedroom for the night to keep her from wrecking any more of his house. Some dialogue from the scene with Kagura remarking that Shigure doesn't understand a girl's feelings and Shigure acknowledging that he understands the feeling of being jealous is carried over into one of the anime-only scenes with Kagura fleeing Shigure's house after one of her outbursts against Kyo led her to wreck the dinner table she prepared.
-The flashback coming from Kagura explaining how she met Kyo as a child is actually from chapter 68 of the manga.
-When Tohru climbed up to the roof of Shigure's house to see Kyo, she was in pajamas in the manga instead of her normal clothes.
-Before leaving Shigure's house, there is an added anime scene with Kyo blocking one of Kagura's punches during another of her outbursts before Kagura follow-ups with an elbow to the gut.
-The anime shows up Kagura's skirt slightly as she waves good bye to Tohru and the Sohma boys, which isn't shown in the manga.
-This episode marks the anime debut of Tohru, Kyo, and Yuki's homeroom teacher, Mayuko Shiraki, who has a somewhat more active role in later manga chapters. She appears in place of a male teacher (from the manga) to inform Tohru of the phone call from her grandfather.
Apr 26, 2019 6:53 PM
Mar 2015
Sooeee pig Torhu did an excellent job of handling Kagura
Apr 26, 2019 6:55 PM

Oct 2012
Shigure needs to have the doors in his house made of Tungsten so they dont break every time someone get slamed through them
Apr 26, 2019 7:13 PM

Oct 2015
Kagura is an interesting character, I wish she didn't have to leave so that she keep on loving Kyo hard.

I guess the grandpa is alright now or maybe dead???
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 26, 2019 7:13 PM

Sep 2015
I really loved this episode. I enjoy Kagura, especially as time goes on, but I do feel especially bad for Kyo in this episode. I did enjoy her being more capable at cooking than in the original, and she still works hard to fix the things she messes up.

This new version has been so refreshing, and I’m super excited for next week, I’m curious if it’ll adapt chapters 6&7 together. I think they would fit well in one episode, but it really comes down to how much anime only they add.
Apr 26, 2019 7:22 PM

Nov 2018
God Kagura is annoying as hell, same character trait as Juvia. I hate this trait. Tohru managed to make even this episode wholesome but man, Kag can stay away from the house, tyvm (unless she grows up from that.)
OrangeCloudsApr 26, 2019 7:33 PM
Apr 26, 2019 7:35 PM

Jun 2017
Kagura is so entertaining! LOL
and Kyo Shirtless? MMM yes please... now I wanna see Shigure! LOLOL
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

130 by razornamidablood »»
Apr 22, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2019

123 by Jordanrane02 »»
Mar 16, 9:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.