Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 4, 2018 7:27 PM

Sep 2012
Megumi did nothing wrong
Mar 13, 2018 9:32 AM

Apr 2015
I had my suspicions about Megumi when she suggested that Mari needed to somehow "resolve" the rumors before she went to Antarctica, but the bitch has actually been trying to sabotage her the whole time!

"Breakup rejected." Why exactly do you still want to be friends with this thot?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 29, 2018 5:18 PM

Sep 2011
GangsterCat said:
megane character always the worst, surprise

OMG, yes! Literally the same feeling I get from her... >.>

Sorvarin said:
That's some "friend" Mari got. Knew something was coming but this is just too much. To say "it's understandable why she did that" is like to say "he was poor so he robbed a bank", a crime is a crime. I would try to forgive such a miserable back-stabber but I would NEVER allow them back in my life. Mari is an angel.

Agreed. I can understand jealousy, that's perfectly okay in a situation like this. But being a a backstabber like that means that you never ever actually considered the other one a friend of yours, no sane person would do that to their friend, even out of jealousy... I wouldn't be able to forgive her, much less stop myself from telling her off. She could have easily just tell Mari about her feelings. Does she think Mari would just laugh at her? Did she even know what Mari is like?
Also, don't come to me with the "she is young" argument. She is like 16 or so, isn't she? You have to be really childish to have this kind of mentality at that age.
Mar 30, 2018 5:35 AM

Feb 2014
Megumi is like Nodoka from K-On, if she was a narcissistic sociopathic bitch, instead of an actual "onee-san" like childhood friend. If I was Mari, I would gladly accept her "breakup" and tell her to go fuck herself.
Mar 30, 2018 9:26 AM

Nov 2012
Vhailor said:
Megumi is like Nodoka from K-On, if she was a narcissistic sociopathic bitch, instead of an actual "onee-san" like childhood friend. If I was Mari, I would gladly accept her "breakup" and tell her to go fuck herself.

I thought she was the most 'human' character after Shirase, her jealousy reminded me of my passive aggressive childhood neighbor, a sore loser in the same regard too, and when he gets full of himself at times I would tell him to fuck off. But after all this time he never forgets to chat me sometimes to ask how I've been even though he migrated to another country years ago. But that's just my perspective, and it's very understandable to not associate with such a volatile character personality-wise.
SeaJaegerMar 30, 2018 9:35 AM

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Mar 30, 2018 10:18 AM

Feb 2014
Jaeger07 said:
Vhailor said:

I thought she was the most 'human' character after Shirase, her jealousy reminded me of my passive aggressive childhood neighbor, a sore loser in the same regard too, and when he gets full of himself at times I would tell him to fuck off. But after all this time he never forgets to chat me sometimes to ask how I've been even though he migrated to another country years ago. But that's just my perspective, and it's very understandable to not associate with such a volatile character personality-wise.

I wouldn't have cared much if all she did was be jealous and passive aggressive towards Mari, to her face. But going behind her back and plotting against her by spreading rumors that she has been shoplifting and earning money through compensated dating/prostitution (which is what Kabukicho, the place she mentions, is known for), is going way over the line. Who does that to a friend? I doubt your friend ever went that far.
Mar 30, 2018 10:50 AM

Nov 2012
Vhailor said:
Jaeger07 said:

I wouldn't have cared much if all she did was be jealous and passive aggressive towards Mari, to her face. But going behind her back and plotting against her by spreading rumors that she has been shoplifting and earning money through compensated dating/prostitution (which is what Kabukicho, the place she mentions, is known for), is going way over the line. Who does that to a friend? I doubt your friend ever went that far.

Ah, that shoplifting/prostitution rumor was one she made up and she made it clear that she didn't spread it (ep 5), but she told those bullies about the money anyway. Still not cool. One of the minor gripes I have with this anime is that Megumi hasn't been given enough screentime to reveal her train of thoughts and how she reflected on it. Here's hoping an OVA will be made with half the time about her. Also funny how you mentioned Nodoka since she has approximately the same amount of screentime as Megumi.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Apr 1, 2018 2:19 AM
Oct 2015
I was expecting some sort of confession to happen but I didn't expect it to be this powerful and emotional, this OST that went along with it was stunning and from this episode onwards I have really high hopes and have something to look forward to.
Heckle was here...
Apr 5, 2018 7:35 AM

Apr 2011
Those are some bitch moves her childhood friend did to her. Instead of supporting he as a real friend, you try to bring her down.

But Mari kinda forgave her. So all is well.

Time to take the first big step.
Apr 12, 2018 11:32 PM

Nov 2011
I also can relate myself with Megumi.. It's amazing how this anime can touch that subject that I believe not just me, but many people can also relate with it ...
But we always grow up ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Apr 17, 2018 11:01 AM

Apr 2014
This was so badly executed.
Apr 18, 2018 7:06 AM
Jun 2016
And theyre on their adventure. Tamaki's friend was jealous, i wouldn't blame her though. Breakup Rejected xD. Safe trip.
Apr 20, 2018 6:42 PM

Jan 2013
You'd think there'd be more guidance on what do bring. Like they even have the right clothes and really thought out everything for 3 months.
May 5, 2018 10:49 PM

Jan 2018
What the hell is up with that Statue of Liberty? LOL

Love this symbolism right here. It looks like Megumi is trapped in a box and is afraid to leave her comfort zone like Mari. Her speech about not showing off makes it super obvious too.

Saying goodbye to all of her objects. Hahaha

Somewhere out there, there's gonna be a yuri doujinshi about Mari and Megumi.
BofthreeMay 5, 2018 10:53 PM

Aug 9, 2018 9:11 PM

May 2012
Damn that ending, shame really but did fit her acting ways against her couple times when she got screen time, interesting character development though!

Really nice development in general if you ask me that Breakup Rejected was just too wonderful though!

Looking forwards to see what's next!
Sep 15, 2018 12:06 PM

Aug 2017
JLaxius said:
Realistic af regarding the progress to Antarctica? Check
Actual character development and interaction? Check
Feels? Check
Stunning animation/colours? Check
OST full of feels and sense of accomplishment? Check
Non rushed pacing because the creators wisely thought it would be boring to see ice and water for 12 episodes and instead they focused on developing all the characters beforehand? Check

Why is this anime not at least 8.5/10 yet?!! This is easily a 9/10 for me so far and I can't imagine what will prevent me from giving it a 10! I mean..high school girls, going to A N T A R C T I C A! And done right!

Took the words right outta my mouth!

D1tchd1gger said:

BTW If someone tries to diss this show...

Also this XD
Dec 18, 2018 5:43 AM
Nov 2018
This was a great episode, that goodbye scene was welldone and everything felt emotional.
Dec 18, 2018 5:43 AM
Nov 2018
This was a great episode, that goodbye scene was welldone and everything felt emotional.
Dec 20, 2018 5:42 AM

Oct 2009
Terrible friend. she needs a slap in the teeth
Jan 1, 2019 3:49 PM
Apr 2018
Now I have mixed feelings about Megumi. What she said about she being the one supposed to be travelling and not Mari doesn't let me sympathise with her but I was like her at some point in my life though...

Bofthree said:

Love this symbolism right here. It looks like Megumi is trapped in a box and is afraid to leave her comfort zone like Mari. Her speech about not showing off makes it super obvious too.

Ohh, good catch there! I almost never got those references/symbolism.
Jan 8, 2019 2:44 PM
Nov 2018
Heehe Tamaki is so kawaii.
And planned to bring all those dictionaries for her trip.
Like those gaming little girls :D
What Megumi did was actually natural.
It was understandable and also she was good in the end.
And break up rejected. :')

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Jan 8, 2019 5:11 PM

Jun 2015
break up rejected, interesting character for the childhood friend role.
Jan 24, 2019 9:05 PM
Aug 2017
SHIEEEEEEEEE * FUCKING CRIES*
Mar 24, 2019 10:32 PM

Oct 2012
So realistic. It was a great episode
May 5, 2019 9:09 AM

Feb 2013
I always wondered why didn't she invite Megu-chan to join them, she was her best friend lol, that's so weird.
Sep 22, 2019 3:16 AM

Mar 2015
Wow so much for being a so-called best friend :\
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 8, 2019 5:28 PM

Jul 2019
I really liked the symbolism in this episode
Like in the flashback part, Mari made an opening and released the water from Megu's sand barrier. showing that she managed to ''break free'' from Megu.
And in the video game part, when Megu confessed what she did, she said she felt better than Mari at everything, so she unplugged the video game on purpose because it was the only thing Mari did ''better'' than her
Oct 27, 2019 8:07 AM

Feb 2017
ITT: People using the "melodrama" buzzword as a pejorative when there isn't any melodrama here at all. It was a very natural scene between two friends whose lives are going in different directions...
Dec 2, 2019 9:49 PM

Oct 2012
I get the feeling Megu is jealous of Kimari or just doesn't want her to go away

The father lol, best dad ever (the mom too) xD

Well at least Megu is being honest
I just remembered Luffy "I reject your rejection" xD
"Signature removed"
Jan 17, 2020 1:09 AM

Jun 2009
Feb 13, 2020 10:52 AM

Apr 2013
Damn, what a shitty friend. I already knew something was up, but then the thing with the gaming console happened. Finally their trip starts, let's see how entertaining it will be.
Mar 2, 2020 11:30 AM

Oct 2015
An interesting twist. Could've been handled better by having Megu be more plot-relevant prior. But her feelings of bitterness due to not having accomplished anything were valid nonetheless. She felt the same way Mari did but at least took solace in her dependability and looking out for her. She had valued herself entirely upon contingencies and once her friend grown out of them, it's shaken up her self-worth. Definitely needed more inspection by the show but it's alright.
Jul 13, 2020 4:43 AM

Feb 2019
And off they go. It's awesome to see the recognition they're getting at school. Shirase's face of determination as she announced she was going to the entire school was awesome. Where are those people who said she was crazy and delusional now?

What Megu did was horrible, but at the same time I felt that it was very real. It wasn't just jealousy and envy I think, but also the fact that all this time in a way she saw herself as existing to be needed by Kimari. But Kimari doesn't need her anymore, and now she's nothing. As horrible and bad what she did was, it felt really real, something I've seen and maybe I've even done myself (probably not to her extent, but with the same intent). Something like giving discouraging but disguised-as-caring comments and the 'accidentally' pulling the cord.

But it was great that they didn't cut ties in the end. "Breakup rejected" indeed. Even knowing that she did all those things, Kimari rejects their cutting of ties and wants to stay friends. It was so heartwarming.

The entire episode was great. Liked too how Yuzuki deleted those two girls that she tried to befriend. She doesn't need them anymore because she has Shirase, Hinata, and Kimari!

Singapore? Wasn't expecting that. A transit? I guess we'll see!
Jul 28, 2020 3:19 AM
Apr 2019
good thing that Megu just didn't sit around and do nothing .
though a bit underwhelming for antarctica part,but whatever.
I'm starting to get what Shirase truly holds .Surprised her friends got to understand her in a few weeks .
Aug 19, 2020 9:33 PM

Feb 2019
This episode was so dramatic and i loved this
It feels like megu chan don't want to apart from mari
Aug 29, 2020 12:23 PM

Feb 2020
the scene with megumi and mari made me so sad ):
megumi liked being relied and having mari and having her be there but she realised she was only clinging to her. i never usually cry in animes but i don't why i cried at this scene..

yayayay, they're finally going to australia! something about this show just connects with me ah. maybe because i'm around their age and going in my last year of high school in less than a week?
umjisAug 29, 2020 12:28 PM
Sep 23, 2020 3:27 PM
Jul 2020
The worst megane girl , STFU you Bitch!!!just say if you feel jealous of them
Sep 24, 2020 9:57 PM
Mar 2020
_Nukki said:

We all been in both shoes, either we have a friend that tries to bring us down. Or we become that friend who silently bring other down. But we never admit it like in this episode. It such a strong emotion and drama in just one episode.
Sep 26, 2020 10:28 AM
Jul 2020
mavericko said:
_Nukki said:

We all been in both shoes, either we have a friend that tries to bring us down. Or we become that friend who silently bring other down. But we never admit it like in this episode. It such a strong emotion and drama in just one episode.

Yeah, I know there is a bit of drama in this episode

But why did her betray her own childhood friend, just to get her attention? And why did her say to stop being her friend?
What is the reason?

Why? please tell me
Sep 27, 2020 5:41 AM
Mar 2020
_Nukki said:
mavericko said:

But why did her betray her own childhood friend, just to get her attention? And why did her say to stop being her friend?
What is the reason?

Why? please tell me

You probably never had or never yet had that kind of situation. Megu chan has been like a big sister, and she dont want her little sister to not depend on her anymore or she will be nothing. I suggest you rewatch and read the subtitle carefully again coz its kinda hard to explain.
Sep 27, 2020 4:29 PM
Jul 2020
mavericko said:
_Nukki said:

What is the reason?

Why? please tell me

You probably never had or never yet had that kind of situation. Megu chan has been like a big sister, and she dont want her little sister to not depend on her anymore or she will be nothing. I suggest you rewatch and read the subtitle carefully again coz its kinda hard to explain.

Yes , i know if it's hard to explain

However, i was only disappointed when Megu's part said that she wanted to end her friendship.

C'mon,they can still be friend and don't need to end their friendship just because of that.

luckily Mari chan is a good person and she refused Megu's words that wanted to end her friendship.
Nov 10, 2020 12:44 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
While I’m not the biggest fan of the character designs, everything else animated in this world is some top notch work. Well done once again, madhouse.

I’m actually pleasantly surprised that this is a much more grounded in reality that I initially thought it was going to be. I thought that they’d all hop in a boat by the second episode by sneaking onboard or some dumb reason. But no, they spent 5 episodes of preparation that would actually be needed to go on an expedition of this scale. Not what I was expecting, but it works for me!

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 7, 2020 5:16 PM

Apr 2009
Too real dawg. Liking this series a lot so far.
Dec 18, 2020 3:54 PM

May 2016
I'm glad they cleared the issue before going in such melodramatic way 5/5
Tamaki is such a pure girl, normally you would have noticed those things
but even after learning the truth she accepted her and rejected her break up.
Dec 28, 2020 2:56 PM

Aug 2018
By the way.. I hope Shirase isn't planning some suicide mission or something - to go on her own to save mother, or something like that.. But if she's not planning something like that.. What are the chances she's going to help expedition to somehow find her mother?.. And will it be one of goals at all?.. Hm..
Eh?.. Objects to take aren't written?.. Press X for doubt.. I mean, how is this possible?.. Surely, it'd be written on the instructions.. Even at university trip we had objects list to take, and this is no 3 days trip, but 3 months, and to Antarctica..
Well.. I mean.. I guess, it's a good thing, if in the end Megumi wants to go in the different direction.. Than where she was.. And 3 months are a long period.. To maybe find something new she wants to do in life.. Or to maybe think about it.. Or something.. At the end of the day, it's not like Mari is left without any friends or anything - on the contrary, she just started to get something herself in life, what she really wants.. As well as relationship with Megumi can be rebuild, or something - but she'll do that later.. And Megumi.. For her it feels she was only having this relationship on keeping herself up by bringing Mari down.. But.. No more of this for her,.. she says..
A great episode, truly.. Maybe my favorite so far.. I like, how Mari's and Megumi's relationship is changing.. As well as we really went deeper into Mari's character as well.. As well as her saying at the end her own opinion, and rejecting Megumi's breakup, thus not following her, but standing on her own in this?.. Just so many things in this episode, really.. A great one, liked it a lot.. ;P
May 7, 2021 2:00 PM

Mar 2016
i hated that bitch megumi from the beginning.

i am glad the girls are off <3

Jun 28, 2021 5:18 AM
Mar 2019
Rewatching this series and I remembered how much of a bitch Megumi was
Jun 29, 2021 7:50 AM

Feb 2019
The girl with glasses was petty, she is clingy.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Sep 3, 2021 3:59 AM

Mar 2021
wow what a great best 'friend'
Sep 28, 2021 3:42 AM

Mar 2018
Uppwind said:
Very subtle hints of potential internal conflict with Megumi as her friend slowly fades away from her.

I called it lol. A lot of manipulation and deception from her that would make anyone drop her as a friend right there and then but I can respect the maturity Mari is able to show in this situation.

I had a feeling this show would make me emotional looking at reviews but this made me cry a decent amount, really good stuff so far.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.