Forum Settings
Forums

Horror and Escape Game 'Ao Oni' Gets Short TV Anime and Anime Movie Adaptations

New
Aug 10, 2016 4:52 AM

Nov 2007

An official anime site of noprops has launched and announced that the horror and escape game Ao Oni will get a short TV anime and an anime movie adaptation. The short anime, shown in SD form, will broadcast in Fall 2016 on TV Tokyo and BS Japan. The anime movie, which will be an original story based on the original game and novel, will premiere in 2017. The title for both the TV short and anime movie is Ao Oni The Animation, except that the title for the TV short anime is shown in hiragana while the "The Animation" part of the anime movie is shown in English. Studio Deen will animate both anime adaptations. More information regarding the movie will be revealed at a later date.

Synopsis for the TV short
A mansion away from the village, which no one lives, is rumored to have a ghost appearing. Hiroshi visits the mansion with his classmates Takurou, Takeshi, and Mika, and gets attacked by a mysterious creature named Ao Oni. Will they be able to get out of the mansion while solving various puzzles, or... will they become crazy and just live in this mansion with an Ao Oni like that?! The daring lives of the four being played by Ao Oni starts now.

Staff for the TV short
General Director: Toshirou Hamamura
Director: Chisei Maeda
Original Character Design: Kyuta Sakai (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
Character Design: kichi
Series Composition, Script: Kanekoke
Animation: maxcaffy, Kagi, Poeyama, Sena Makino
Music: Shiyu Yanagida
Sound Studio: DAX Production
Studio: Studio Deen

Ao Oni is a free role-playing PC game developed by noprops. The game has previously received a manga and a light novel written by Kenji Kuroda and illustrated by Karen Suzuragi. It was also adapted into two live-action movies that were screened on July 5, 2014 and July 4, 2015.

Official site: http://aooni-anime.com/
Official Twitter: @aooni_anime

Source: Ota☆Suke

Ao Oni The Animation & Ao Oni The Animation (Movie) on MAL
tsubasaloverAug 10, 2016 11:27 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 10, 2016 4:56 AM

Dec 2015
That actually looks pretty good lol
Aug 10, 2016 4:57 AM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
Oh my gosh, this is awesome!

Now if they only decided to do the same for the other RPG Maker Horror games everyone loves
Aug 10, 2016 4:59 AM

Jul 2015
>Studio Deen
i dont want to hurt my eyes again so no thx
Aug 10, 2016 5:03 AM

Sep 2014
Dat Oni looks like a fucked up Fetus

Aug 10, 2016 5:04 AM

Jan 2011
Been meaning to get around to the game for a while now.
Aug 10, 2016 5:09 AM
Jul 2018
This is pretty awesome! I love RPG Maker so the fact that an RPG Maker game is getting 2 anime adaptations is really neat.
Aug 10, 2016 5:13 AM
Jul 2018
>Short
>Anime adaption film

Um quite skeptical about it, but at the same time I want to see how it goes.
Aug 10, 2016 5:49 AM

May 2012
That is pretty dang cool. Now let's get an Ib and Yume Nikki anime too lol

Anyway, I'm skeptical about this as well. Hope it turns out well

Aug 10, 2016 5:50 AM

Jun 2014
Hide in the fucking closet! Don't trust anyone!

If they can do this, then I would love to see an Ib adaptation. The artstyle is the only thing that would be problematic.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 10, 2016 5:53 AM
Jan 2013
*shiverring*​​​
gone bai bai
Aug 10, 2016 6:16 AM
Jul 2018
FireEmblemIke24 said:

If they can do this, then I would love to see an Ib adaptation. The artstyle is the only thing that would be problematic.

>Ib

Omg I fucking love Ib. I would love to see one personally.

But we'll see with this one first though.
Aug 10, 2016 6:21 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Uhm... I really don't know about this lol
Aug 10, 2016 6:22 AM

Jul 2014
Hana said:

Now if they only decided to do the same for the other RPG Maker Horror games everyone loves

Like:
Ib
Mad Father
The Witch's House
Mogeko Castle
...TONS more. And loving that forum set, fam! <3
Aug 10, 2016 6:26 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
tragedydesu said:
>Studio Deen

Studio Deen has been pretty good this year tho
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 10, 2016 6:49 AM
Jul 2015
Lol I'm oddly hyped even if it sucks.
Tell me when the rpg Gokuto Jihen gets an anime lol
Aug 10, 2016 6:52 AM

Mar 2008
Well, that is surprising. I really hope this turns out to be good or at least decent, because it could open up the possibility for more RPG Maker game anime adaptations.

An anime adaptation of Ib is something I wished for ever since I first completed the game.
I love that game and always thought "Damn, an Ib anime would be awesome!". Maybe there is hope now!

So yeah, let's see how this turns out.
NemesisAug 10, 2016 7:07 AM
Aug 10, 2016 6:57 AM
Jul 2018
DatRandomDude said:
tragedydesu said:
>Studio Deen

Studio Deen has been pretty good this year tho

Studio Deen has been pretty decent this year tbh. Or at least pretty good (I'm not the biggest fan of Shouwa Genroku but you get my point though).
Aug 10, 2016 7:02 AM

Jun 2014
TheLittleRedHero said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

>Ib

Ib is the only one that I think would cater to most audiences. The others are set up to be

Misao - EDGY
The Witch's House - EDGY
Mad Father - Edginess at its finest.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 10, 2016 7:11 AM
Jul 2018
FireEmblemIke24 said:
TheLittleRedHero said:

>Ib

Ib is the only one that I think would cater to most audiences. The others are set up to be

Misao - EDGY
The Witch's House - EDGY

True. The three you mentioned just catered to a specific audience mostly (I haven't played Witch's House)... which not gonna lie as much as I like Misao and Mad Father (I personally like them) they're the pinnacle of edgy xD
Aug 10, 2016 7:18 AM
Casual Flower

Mar 2015
Devalyn said:
Hana said:

Like:
Ib
Mad Father
The Witch's House
Mogeko Castle
...TONS more. And loving that forum set, fam! <3

Thankies~
But yes. I'm in love with RPG Maker Horror games. Tbh an Ib adaptation would be very interesting considering all the good and bad endings to the game. Surely if it was animated though, it might go a different route like Corpse Party did.

Still desperately awaiting for Satsuriku no Tenshi to be translated of all games! Dx
Aug 10, 2016 7:56 AM

Mar 2014
Deen, I like you, but your video game adaptations tend to be pretty bad

Please don't let me down
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 10, 2016 7:59 AM

May 2008
Ao oni anime? that's quite unexpected..

Ib anime when
Aug 10, 2016 8:02 AM

Mar 2016
Gonna be keeping an eye on this for sure. I played the game a couple times & liked it, hope they're going to put some good work into this adaptation.
Aug 10, 2016 8:09 AM

Aug 2016
I just hope this means they will adapt other horror games like Ao Oni. They tend to have great stories imo.Overall a bit disappointed they picked Ao Oni while there are better choises:
Ib
The Boogie Man
The Sandman
Mermaid Swamp
The Crooked Man

But i'm excited to see how this will turn out.
EffulgenceAug 10, 2016 8:13 AM
Aug 10, 2016 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
ROFL . I still remember watching lets plays of this game xd

The animation looks cute
Aug 10, 2016 8:18 AM

Nov 2014
TheLittleRedHero said:
FireEmblemIke24 said:

Misao - EDGY
The Witch's House - EDGY

True. The three you mentioned just catered to a specific audience mostly (I haven't played Witch's House)... which not gonna lie as much as I like Misao and Mad Father (I personally like them) they're the pinnacle of edgy xD

Please play Witchs house, and try to avoid spoilers.It has good twists, and would give a good movie adaptation.Because the game is like a movie, the story i mean.Girl wanders into forest,gets trapped by magic wines, meets talking cat, has to explore haunted mansion trying to kill her,plus the owner of the house is a murderous witch.Play it and youll see.And The twist is Hollywood-esque.

Aug 10, 2016 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
Ghoultulhu said:
TheLittleRedHero said:

Please play Witchs house, and try to avoid spoilers.It has good twists, and would give a good movie adaptation.Because the game is like a movie, the story i mean.Girl wanders into forest,gets trapped by magic wines, meets talking cat, has to explore haunted mansion trying to kill her,plus the owner of the house is a murderous witch.Play it and youll see.And The twist is Hollywood-esque.

Will actually try to give it a shot in the near future, at the moment I'm pretty much playing/finishing a game that I started weeks ago >w<
Aug 10, 2016 9:05 AM

Jun 2015
This hit me like wild fire...was not expecting that xD
Aug 10, 2016 9:21 AM

Aug 2013
Holy shit.

Gotta say tho the short anime looks a little too cute :/ I hope it's just a random pic, but I'm afraid it will be more towards the cute side.
Either way I'm hyped, a anime movie sounds really cool. I hope these both, especially the movie, will be good :3

I seen let's plays of some RPG maker games. My absolote fave must be IB. I wish Ao Oni will gets good response, and then maybe one day we get a IB anime. Would be so cool.
Aug 10, 2016 9:26 AM

Sep 2013
Ayye, I knew hey would do an anime eventually, they are going full throttle with the franchise XD
Aug 10, 2016 10:14 AM

Jul 2010
tragedydesu said:
>Studio Deen

>still hating on Studio DEEN in 2016
Aug 10, 2016 10:26 AM

Nov 2011
This one I haven't played, so I'm gonna give it a chance.
RPG Maker games are way too much fun, would love for more anime of them.
IB PLEASE
Baby, daijobanai...
Aug 10, 2016 10:26 AM

Nov 2012
Lol wtf? I mean it's cool to see a RPG Maker game get an anime adaptation, but Ao Oni isn't something you can make an anime of because the game makes no sense with the plot and stuff. But whatever, I'm interested to see how Deen will fill in the blanks with this one.
Aug 10, 2016 11:29 AM

Apr 2013
Looool that art style in the poster makes it silly instead of scary. Thanks, based DEEN. This I gotta see.

But this is good. If this does well, we could get more RPG Maker adaptations like Ib, Witch's House, Misao, and Blank Dream. That would be amazing.
Aug 10, 2016 11:33 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
if rpgmaker game got anime...

DAMN I HOPE "IB" gets anime... loved that game. ;_;
Aug 10, 2016 11:59 AM

Nov 2014
TheLittleRedHero said:
Ghoultulhu said:

Will actually try to give it a shot in the near future, at the moment I'm pretty much playing/finishing a game that I started weeks ago >w<

So i convinced you? I feel badass now, ill pat myself in the back.lol.

Aug 10, 2016 2:38 PM

Feb 2010
I'm gonna be honest, the left picture looks way too cute for Ao Oni. It just doesn't fit with the overall tone (I hope it doesn't look like that in the actual short). Besides that nitpick, I'll check this out and the anime movie as well.

Lil-Bird said:
But this is good. If this does well, we could get more RPG Maker adaptations like Ib, Witch's House, Misao, and Blank Dream. That would be amazing.

Especially Blank Dream. While I, admittedly, haven't played the game, I saw an entire gameplay of it on Youtube, and I was pretty fascinated by the story. If there was an anime adaptation of that, I'd watch it without hesitation.
Aug 10, 2016 2:44 PM
Jun 2016
I LUV THIS GAME! Ao Oni is so ridiculous yet scary. I wish it could get 24 min. episodes, but there isn't much content to fit in.
DupeusT31Aug 10, 2016 2:51 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2016 6:21 PM

Dec 2014
A game that I actually know about getting an adaptation? Say it ain't so.

Doubt it'll be all that good, but I'll watch it on novelty value alone.
Aug 10, 2016 6:40 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Lil-Bird said:
Looool that art style in the poster makes it silly instead of scary. Thanks, based DEEN. This I gotta see.

Pretty sure the movie in 2017 might be normal tho, the first poster is for a little short anime serie with deformed chibi this Fall.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Aug 10, 2016 7:32 PM
Nov 2013
Oh man. Ao Oni is a simple idea. And it can be turned into quite the anime if handled correctly. But I wouldn't be surprised if this failed horribly.

My only hope is that this opens the door for more RPG Maker horror games to get animated. Schuld, Desert Nightmare, and of course Ib would be great things to make. But I'm still waiting for the surreal, psychological and mysterious Yume Nikki anime I've always dreamt of...get it?
Aug 10, 2016 9:49 PM

Jul 2014
I have the feeling Deen is gonna fuck this up. And what's with that kawaii picture? Isn't it supposed to scare the viewer?

Aug 10, 2016 10:42 PM

Aug 2015
DEEN SAVES ANIME.
Aug 11, 2016 1:05 AM
Jul 2018
ani147 said:
I have the feeling Deen is gonna fuck this up. And what's with that kawaii picture? Isn't it supposed to scare the viewer?

Isn't that for the short?
Aug 11, 2016 4:38 AM

Jul 2014
TheLittleRedHero said:
ani147 said:

Oh there's gonna be a short AND an anime, didn't read it right hehe. However it will most likely still be sh*t

Aug 11, 2016 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
ani147 said:
TheLittleRedHero said:

Oh there's gonna be a short AND an anime, didn't read it right hehe. However it will most likely still be sh*t

Idk but still, just had to correct ya there a bit >-<
Aug 11, 2016 5:57 AM
Jul 2015
Anybody anxious about the voice actors that will be chosen?
Aug 11, 2016 10:00 AM

Apr 2012
I beat the game a while back and really enjoyed it, but I'm a little skeptical about game to anime adaptations...
Aug 11, 2016 11:02 AM

Oct 2014
> Ao Oni anime adaptation
Yay!! :D

> Short
> SD form
Nay!! D:

read from right to left
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

3 by WatchTillTandava »»
6 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
2 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.