Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 8, 2016 5:53 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well this was refreshing, more so than the previous arc.

It feels different because it explores some of the other parts from the show in more details. We got a new OP song as well featuring characters like Mavis in it. The artwork is still pretty much the same although I think the music got a bit more funky? Hmm, well the character designs does show some of them as kids because of the timeline.

But yeah, it's nice to know more about Mavis and her past including parts with Zera.
Fairy Tail Zero is actually fairly important considering it covers the foundation of the series. Looking forward to more.
Stark700Jan 8, 2016 6:28 PM
Jan 8, 2016 6:51 PM
Sep 2012
Wow we go back in time to Fairy Tail Zero.

I was wondering how they were going to make the transition from the main manga series to Zero, and they had 7 minutes of Natsu and Happy hi jinx, I hope when this is over they adapt chapter 417, and I do wonder in this adaption, we will cut back to Natsu and Happy at times to pad out the episodes, Zero is only 13 of 20 page chapters, and this is going be 12 episodes, there will be need for a lot of filler and padding. And great to see them bump into the same species of Mavis pet.

I do like the opening, it looks like they are going to keep the Mavis / Zera bath scene, they have it in the opening, and I was worried they were going to spoil things about Zera, luckily it is very vague and not that obvious, I will leave it that or else I will spoil things.

So Mavis was Cinderella, a terrible life treated like crap, enough that most people would go insane or think of suicide, but Mavis keeps a positive up beat attitude, yup she is Cinderella, only without the happy ending.

Red Lizard is a guild that the old Twilight Orge or Phantom Lord would be proud of. I wish we got more of a backstory on what kind of relationship the Red Lizard master had with Mavis parents. On one hand did he hate them so much that he wants to make Mavis life measurable, but on the other hand he is being kind by not throwing her out on the streets.

We get a filler story on Mavis bring Zera her lunch, in the manga Zera didn't get much screen time in the 1st chapter, all we saw her off before the Blue Skull attack, and we never saw her interact with Mavis until that attack, so that adds the scene of them running away and her saying how mean she has always been to Mavis more weight, and we see an example instead of being told. And we get more of an idea of her character before that tragic night.

And the scene when Zera collapse, that was so dark, one moment it looks like Mavis might finally a friend, the next moment she is drowning in tears and when she said she might never meet fairies now, I lost it there, that was so sad.

Time skip 7 years later, because of course it is 7 years, why wouldn't it be? And we meet the other 3 founders of Fairy Tail, Percht, Warrod, and Yury and things end on a more upbeat note.

I love the ending song, it is so catchy, I have to see it again.

Next week, we begin the founding of Fairy Tail, as our 4 founders meet.

All and all, I enjoyed this episode, the anime really captured the heart of Fairy Tail Zero, so off to a great start, can't wait till next week.
Jan 8, 2016 6:59 PM

Dec 2013
A lot of filler and padding in this episode but I quite liked it. Being Mavis was painful. Too bad she never got to go to school.

New opening is cool.

RIP Zera? Although judging from the opening she's fine.
Jan 8, 2016 7:03 PM

Sep 2011
First episode I could watch through in a very long time. Mavis's arc is just so good. The ED song was so nice<3
Jan 8, 2016 7:16 PM

Jun 2014
Eh, I don't really care for the new opening.

I guess it'll be kind of nice to learn more about Mavis, as well as Fairy Tail's roots.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 8, 2016 7:29 PM
Dec 2015
Wow, the intro for this one was very nice, definitely a nice rock tune.

but this episode was so good! It really got my emotions going just like when I read it in the manga, such a great time, filled with cries, laughs, and anger.

I have not had an experience like that since igneel died.

:^)
Jan 8, 2016 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
Love the new ED. Also there was some filler, but it's the good kind. Mavis is adorable.
Jan 8, 2016 7:40 PM

Nov 2014
Rather small detail, and i'm assuming most of you caught on, but did you notice the recurring theme of the number '7' which Fairy Tail loves so much, in '7 years later'. Cute little detail.
Jan 8, 2016 8:16 PM

Apr 2014
Pretty chill episode, looking forward to see how they adapt the rest of Zero.

And even though the part with Natsu and Happy was filler you feel as if that was exactly how it went down before they actually started training, wandering aimlessly doing completely nothing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2016 8:19 PM

Oct 2015
I love the new OP and ED~~~

It was sad episode though, I felt bad for Mavis because they were treating her that way...........

But it was nice seeing some of her past, I can't wait for more!
Jan 8, 2016 8:22 PM
Feb 2013
I was wondering how they would put this altogether despite that it hasn't finished yet, but it's looking pretty great so far! can't wait for the rest! XD
Jan 8, 2016 8:39 PM

May 2015
Fairy tail ZERO is here. <3
I like the new OP. It's refreshing
Mavis.. You made me cry so hard. She's such a sweetheart and very kawaii.
Jan 8, 2016 9:32 PM

Nov 2008
So I guess Fairy Tail is pulling a Bleach Back to the Pendulum and One Piece Luffy ,Sabo and Ace arc, interesting more better then filler hell in Naruto.
Jan 8, 2016 9:33 PM

Dec 2014
an entire library handed to someone for "7 years"...no doubt she became The Strategist

Jan 8, 2016 9:49 PM

Apr 2015
The OP was good, but the ED stood out the most.

I like the story so far. I'm looking forward to the next episode to see how the it progresses.
Jan 8, 2016 10:31 PM

Oct 2011
That girl is Zera in the OP. Bud didn't she die???
Jan 8, 2016 10:48 PM

Jul 2015
AnimeFan500 said:

I thought that too at first then I figured she passed out from exhaustion and her injuries
Jan 8, 2016 10:59 PM

Oct 2011
terminador_2397 said:
AnimeFan500 said:

I thought that too at first then I figured she passed out from exhaustion and her injuries

I see then. Thanks
Jan 8, 2016 11:03 PM

Apr 2013
I was hoping that Zero would get animated I'm glad, this part in the story of anime was one of only two spots I thought they could put it. I love the opening, from the looks of it the next episode will be chapters 2 and 3.
Jan 8, 2016 11:09 PM
Aug 2011
AnimeFan500 said:

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ShockedJan 9, 2016 12:08 AM
Jan 8, 2016 11:45 PM

Jun 2013
Nice new opening and ending, little Mavis was so cute and positive.

Mod Edit: Removed quote referencing edited post.
ShockedJan 9, 2016 12:08 AM
Jan 9, 2016 2:25 AM

Nov 2013
at last they start FT zero. i'll watch fairy tail again, just for this arc. my fav arc :3

the seiyuu did a very good job. noto mamiko has a very soft voice. and it's rare for me to hear hanakana like that.
Jan 9, 2016 3:23 AM

Aug 2014
Sugoi! We will know the Makarov's dad, remember of Warren and the second master too!
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jan 9, 2016 3:27 AM

Oct 2014
Awesome first episode to the new arc. Can't w8 to find out more about the foundation of FT.

I also loved the OP, much more than the previous.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 9, 2016 3:50 AM

Dec 2009
Amazing start to adapting FT Zero. Loved how they connected it to the present day plot by having Natsu and Happy travel back to Tenroujima. The new opening and ending themes are soooo good. Mavis is one of the best characters in the show, extremely adorable.
Jan 9, 2016 4:32 AM

May 2010
Great start to one of the best arcs. Zera's death was sad, right after they became friends..
Jan 9, 2016 5:26 AM

Aug 2010
Nice. I loved FT zero's manga a lot so glad they'll be adapting it.

Mavis's cuteness overload was too much <3 How the hell can anyone have the heart to abuse such an adorable girl. They all deserved to die. Assholes!

Zera's voiced by HanaKana? Noto Mamiko and HanaKana being together? Is that a first? Cuteness overload incoming.

ED was great
Jan 9, 2016 5:26 AM

Dec 2014
I don't think Zera is dead but we will know afterwards whether she is or not still love how mavis backgroung does not affect her
Jan 9, 2016 6:26 AM

May 2010
ibraheem234 said:
I don't think Zera is dead but we will know afterwards whether she is or not still love how mavis backgroung does not affect her

If you didn't read manga, you will be surprised towards the end of arc.
Jan 9, 2016 6:35 AM

Apr 2015
guys please stop the spoilers >.>

oh i love this

Jan 9, 2016 6:44 AM

May 2012
Mavis looks pretty cute :3 But since I read the manga, I knew that she would be mistreated :( Still, I guess they pulled the same trope as most other main FT guild members - one or both parents died. Still, I like how Mavis is still positive even on the verge of crying...and poor Zera :'( Kana did a pretty good voice on Zera, it suits her a lot. And the best parts from Natsu and Happy's wandering about in Tenroujima island are their shocked reaction from knowing that they never trained themselves yet, and...Natsu's stung face from the bees xD
New intro and ending songs are pretty nice.

Jan 9, 2016 6:47 AM

Jul 2013
I loved the episode. The filler with Natsu and Happy was nice and funny and appropiate to tell the events of the arc.

About Zero in general, I love it, Mavis is a cutie now, and also in her childhood, God, I love her so muh <3 And Zera is voiced by Kana Hanazawa? That was surprising, HanaKana in FT... is like a dream come true. Her death was sad, she was a jerk with Mavis at the beginning, but when she died, her dead was pitiful :(

Nice opening and endings. I'm hyped to see Zeref's moments of Zero animated.

Barion-Zara said:
Zera's voiced by HanaKana? Noto Mamiko and HanaKana being together? Is that a first? Cuteness overload incoming.
Actually, it's not the first time that Mamiko Noto and HanaKana are featured in the same anime. They also played roles in Akame ga Kill, but that thing didn't ended well...
Jan 9, 2016 7:05 AM

Jul 2014
I love to OP and ED anf this arc seems like it's going to be pretty good :'3
Jan 9, 2016 7:56 AM

Oct 2010
I don't read FT manga, but I happened to have read Fariy Tail Zero thinking it wouldn't get adapted...

Knowing the story already, I couldn't keep myself from bawling my eyes out this episode TT.TT
If only I didn't read it... I wouldn't have even flinched..
Jan 9, 2016 8:21 AM

Jun 2013
the OP is kinda cool god dammit man why are they mean to her fo no reason that's just messed up she's only six years old and damn this is gonna be awesome
Jan 9, 2016 8:57 AM

Jul 2007
Axelucard_ said:
the OP is kinda cool god dammit man why are they mean to her fo no reason that's just messed up she's only six years old and damn this is gonna be awesome

You gotta remember that in the times this is set, there's no "magic council" or any sort of coherent structure for guilds. Its a chaotic world where those with magic take what they want. Those who form magic guilds don't do it for "fun" or for "peace". They do it because they can consolidate power. So its not surprising that people like that would be the kind of people to treat a kid like that.

To add to that, Mavis is there because of her dead parents debt. She IS pretty much nothing else but a useless slave.
Jan 9, 2016 9:10 AM

Sep 2014
Natsu and Happy travelling to Tenroujima was a nice addition.
How can you treat something so cute like that ;A;
Little Mavis is pure diabetes <3
Poor Mavis crying ;-;
Loved the new ED. OP was pretty decent too.
Adaptation looking good so far, can't wait for the next episode!
nerfxJan 9, 2016 9:25 AM
Jan 9, 2016 10:26 AM

Feb 2015
i'm looking foward to this. becasue this story is the one that i'm looking foward into, from all of the arc. Mavis, Zeref, what even happened in the past, i really want to know more of that.

and tbh, i really like the op, but i don't know about the ed. just okay i guess.
and this episode somewhat felt so sad, tbh i almost cried. seeing mavis's past to be like that.
Jan 9, 2016 10:34 AM

Feb 2015
So much sadness and cuteness in a single episode. :'(
Jan 9, 2016 12:37 PM

Jan 2015
I'm at like episode 30 of fairy tail but i watched and read this part so i skipped the other episodes for later. I remember how Mavis was bullied but what hurts the most is what'll happen later :'( Sniff sniff
Jan 9, 2016 1:04 PM
Mar 2013
ayy the new OP and ED are fantastic. The proportions for Mavis and Zera's heads looked incorrect to me. Some filler but oh well. I think this arc will be quite sentimental, having read the manga. For some reason this episode made me feel quite nostalgic too, reminded me of the old FT.
Jan 9, 2016 1:20 PM

May 2012
The OP is pretty decent.
Jan 9, 2016 1:54 PM

Jul 2014
Fairy Tail Zero, finally. The part featuring Natsu and Happy at the beginning was a great introduction
[center][/center]
Jan 9, 2016 2:25 PM

Oct 2014
My Brother told me this is gonna be gud. HE was right :D
Jan 9, 2016 3:26 PM

Oct 2015
It's weird not seeing Lucy in the OP at all. Typically OP's last for 11-13 episodes so I wonder if we will be getting a new OP after Fairy Tail Zero or if they're going to extend the episodes out.

That aside, they did a wonderful job adapting from the manga and I think that the filler scenes were pretty funny. I'm really excited for this.
Jan 9, 2016 3:28 PM
Sep 2008
i dont get why they didnt make it as fairy tail zero... cuz its a side story and not part of the main plot.
even the one shot of fairy tail zero is not inside the main manga, it has its own manga.

i really hate the animation T_T
Jan 9, 2016 7:34 PM

Jul 2012
I was really excited for this and so far with this first episode I can say I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see the next episode. The first part with Natsu and Happy felt kind of like a filler but other than that, I loved the OP and ED and omg Young Mavis is sooooooooo cute! It was really interesting to see how her life was before Fairy Tail and can't wait to see what happens now that the founding members of Fairy Tail are all there!

Here is my full review on the episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ihZuPqy94&feature=youtu.be
Jan 9, 2016 7:59 PM

Mar 2014
The OP was better than the Tartarus arc.
Jan 9, 2016 10:41 PM

Aug 2012
Great start to Fairy Tail Zero. Fairy Tail's openings are always so good.
Jan 9, 2016 10:59 PM

Dec 2014
Mavis was so cute <3 . I'm really looking forward to Zero, It's a nice change from the original.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» animation

0megaH - Feb 28, 2022

12 by Cristiano456 »»
Apr 4, 7:19 PM

» Why the hate ( 1 2 )

StrayDogYato - May 13, 2021

50 by filthyfrank8142 »»
Mar 26, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 2, 2014

107 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2014

136 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 9:57 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2014

121 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 9:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.