Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2023 4:01 PM

Jun 2023
Never seen an anime where they show girls having periods why is that? 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2023 4:07 PM

Dec 2015
You should watch Onimai, cause that's the first thing which comes to my mind.
Jun 28, 2023 4:07 PM
Dec 2020
Because people don't want to see it👍
Jun 28, 2023 4:12 PM

Jun 2023
Brunilde said:

But they have no problem watching men fight with semen 

Jun 28, 2023 4:14 PM

May 2014
I think that one scene in Evangelion with Asuka comes to mind. Also mentioned in Galko-chan, Nana, and Only Yesterday.

There's a good amount of things that mention periods when I think about it haha. I guess you're just watching the wrong anime if you haven't seen it at least once by now.

Jun 28, 2023 4:15 PM

Oct 2013
CosmicWhore said:
Brunilde said:

To be fair, that scene looks hilarious.
Jun 28, 2023 4:17 PM

May 2019
Post-pubescent and mature to adult Anime girls do have menstruation blood just like any normal female human being, it's just not shown for the viewers consideration, consideration and decency.

Jun 28, 2023 4:18 PM

Feb 2023
CosmicWhore said:
Brunilde said:

LOL

That's Golden Kamuy? It looks kinda like jojo!
Jun 28, 2023 4:20 PM
Dec 2020
FanofAction said:
CosmicWhore said:

To be fair, that scene looks hilarious.

Personally i'm not part of this people i'm talking about, i think this is just the public implicit bias, people don't like consistency
Jun 28, 2023 4:37 PM

Feb 2020
Yuma Suzuki has her period twice in JOSHIKOUSEI: GIRL'S HIGH, they actually make quite a big deal about it and even showed menstrual blood on her hand for an extra gross factor. Maybe it's a taboo thing to not show or talk about it in Anime often...idk
Jun 28, 2023 4:38 PM

Oct 2013
kanata44 said:
CosmicWhore said:

LOL

That's Golden Kamuy? It looks kinda like jojo!
Golden Kamuy is basically Jojo with less weird outfits and no supernatural elements.
Jun 28, 2023 4:44 PM

Apr 2018
There is an episode in Berserk where they show Casca being on her period, and it affecting her performance in battle.
Jun 28, 2023 5:05 PM

Jan 2023
CosmicWhore said:
Brunilde said:

What the hell kind of scene, fighting with semen LOL

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
Jun 28, 2023 5:31 PM

Aug 2020
Good point. Haven't actually seen periods in anime apart from Berserk.
Jun 28, 2023 5:54 PM

Mar 2021
same can be said why they for the most part dont show every single time anime characters peeing or having a shit every single time they need to or doing it. especially urinating, they dont need to show 6 times a day of them doing so.
Jun 28, 2023 5:56 PM

Aug 2018
I've seen it mentioned before but I can't site any specific examples.
Jun 28, 2023 6:14 PM
Apr 2022
The only example I can think of is Casca on her period in Berserk, why would you want to see that anyway? You might as well ask why we don’t see enough people pissing and shitting in anime, natural mundane bodily functions just aren’t interesting.
Jun 28, 2023 6:32 PM
Mar 2017
Asking the really deep, unique questions here. Why not. XD I'll take it from a serious enough angle.

Yeah can't think of a scene even in a Hentai that does (probably not come across it yet or I forget). You see blood but that's about it and using because 'oh their virigins' even if the dialogue says so, sigh.

I forget about Galko-chan and the Maidens one how far they mention things. Haven't read/watched the Galko-chan manga in a while now as close to finishing it's 'ending' chapters.

I forget the OVA that does the 'eye' related action (that or maybe there is a wax type thing on characters too for all I know), wanting to avoid it too if I ever come across it or ears (not just biting) or nose. *Shivers*, not appealing in the slightly but you know it's a thing that's possible just like the few armpit ones that happen and they just exist for someone out there seeking some weird stuff.

Then again the video post above is just hilarious never seen or thought of before the same way I guess chests can be weapons too in a way. Whatever dumb things humanity comes up with of random ideas of projectiles and ways to expel them from somewhere.

But I forget if some do say they have a safe day or not some do some don't and I forget which. So that's the closest I can think of thinking it over now that fits your answer of 'yes they do have period related scenes' whether dialogue more so than showing 'oh I am/it's that time of month' scenes or anime about it. As far as I can think of/remember the way they cover it.

No examples come to mind and forget which Hentai they were as most anime don't really mention it even the teenager ecchi ed type topical shows I don't think they do.

That or maybe even in anime hinting at it as much as some do other things. Like you get your coming of age or your ecchi education topic related ones for teenagers or your ecchi moves explanation manga but that's about it.

I mean yeah there may be stories about it but besides in anime it's graphic (so it would be Hentai instead and not hair on TV) and well most people don't want to see it (don't blame them either) if people want to see fluids or solids come out of characters it's Hentai for whatever white liquid (many examples, borderline like Kagaku no Yatsura and involved ones with as much white/sweet and such).

Yellow liquid (it happens and of course your can find live action that do it as a tag and it's just digusting and not engaging at all but people do that of course)

Or brown solids (certain ones but the eroge dev one comes to mind probably other examples but it's the one I've seen it happen in https://myanimelist.net/anime/10779/Eroge_H_mo_Game_mo_Kaihatsu_Zanmai, was one of the most WHY! scene ever but didn't stop it from being a Hentai I respect for the subject matter/handling that it's one of my favourites like https://myanimelist.net/anime/49637/Showtime_Uta_no_Oneesan_datte_Shitai?q=showtime&cat=anime is for it's couple/Uramichi-san but Hentai approach and they don't to anything to the Loli for once thankfully) it's a thing in some scenes of certain OVAs but not much.

So while they may not have the 'leftovers' of the brown solid it is a thing sometimes besides when that hole is in scenes. Besides that well the not showing hair because well it can look off and well the appeal isn't there.

Whatever shock factor or 'watching something going in and out of somebody' people think about that's on them I don't care for it at all. If it has a better purpose than dumb ones sure but many times it is dumb ones.
Suntanned_Duck2Jun 28, 2023 6:51 PM
Jun 28, 2023 6:39 PM
Dec 2017
They don't show them taking a dump either. Maybe people don't have an interest in watching normal bodily functions. 
Jun 28, 2023 6:47 PM
Mar 2017
Oldkight said:
They don't show them taking a dump either. Maybe people don't have an interest in watching normal bodily functions. 
I'd agree with that it isn't appealing but it appeals to some small audience or those that come up with it to push the bar of 'possibilities' I guess as dumb as it is. Obviously not for anime but Hentai whatever ideas they come up with in their minds those Eroge/H Manga artists.

Even for stories focused on pubity I'm not surprised because why would they. Even then virgin dialogue or virgin blood appearing scenes happen in anime/Hentai it's usually enough to convey the characters on a safe/not safe day.

It surprised me seeing this Hentai having a dump scene though. Probably others do have them but so rare I'd rather it be rare then a thing needing to be common it's just shivers disgusting.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/10779/Eroge_H_mo_Game_mo_Kaihatsu_Zanmai in a bathroom scene at a convention.
Jun 28, 2023 6:54 PM

Feb 2018
In Magical Girl Site, Aya tells her brother not to beat her so much or she won't get her period. This was the first thing that came to my mind. But I don't think it is needed to be mentioned unless it affects the plot in some way. Just like taking a dump or pissing.

Jun 28, 2023 6:56 PM

May 2015
Probably because they're drawings, you want to se them take a shit as well? Weirdo
Jun 28, 2023 7:07 PM

Nov 2011
Nobody wants to see the bleeding. Having said that, in 12-sai, there’s a mention of period, and the girl gets made fun of by the 12-year old male students.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 28, 2023 7:20 PM

Jun 2017
For the same reason they don't have in most media of all the ages. It only starts to be moderately commonly mentioned in 20th century literature; before that, the exceptions are few and far between.

Apart from other examples mentioned above, girls' period is a topic in a pool episode of Takagi-san.

Jun 28, 2023 7:33 PM

Oct 2017
It's generally not relevant to portray
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jun 28, 2023 7:44 PM

Jul 2021
I have read a hentai where that was a relevant plot point.
Jun 28, 2023 7:46 PM
Aug 2020
Pretty sure they do, it just doesn't make sense to show it on screen. Portraying something as mundane as that (generally) wouldn't supplement the story. Same reason why animes generally don't show people taking dumps.
Jun 28, 2023 7:50 PM

Jul 2021
Oldkight said:
That actually happened in the first episode of Heavenly Delusion.
Jun 28, 2023 8:02 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Whats period ? Do u think girl like werewolf or what ? If so then here u are lollll

Jun 28, 2023 8:08 PM
Aug 2015
Probably because there is literally nobody alive who likes thinking about it, and anime is entertainment.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2023 8:14 PM

Mar 2020
Anime girls do have periods it's just not something that is brought up a lot, same with normal life. Also I've seen more anime show girls on there period then I have with other forms of media - berserk, galko chan, elfen lied, etc.
Jun 28, 2023 8:17 PM

Dec 2018
The questions people ask around here I swear to god
Jun 28, 2023 8:18 PM

Feb 2016
You're 7 years too late to be asking this question. Please check old threads for answers next time.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1483788&show=0
その目だれの目?
Jun 28, 2023 8:57 PM

Dec 2019
There is in Akatsuki no Yona manga. Forgot what chapter it is
Jun 28, 2023 9:08 PM

Feb 2021
That's why Onimai is the best show of 2023
Jun 28, 2023 9:09 PM

Jan 2021
Because having periods is realistic and we can't let our perfect anime waifus be like that.

Now, seriously speaking, there are a couple of anime that does in fact show and mention girls on their periods like Asuka from Evangelion, Mahiro from Onimai and Casca from Berserk.
Jun 28, 2023 9:22 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Omoide Poroporo has a whole portion of it in the film. It's actually interesting since it was based off the mangaka experiences in the 60's and these girls are 10 years old which is fairly on the early side of getting it.

I had listened to a podcast a while back talking about Kiki's Delivery Service. The section where Kiki gets sick and how it's kind of transitioned and brought up kind of insinuates that she got her first period. It's very subtle but I think it makes sense since it is a coming of age narrative and she has all these emotional waves of hating herself and upset with her femininity.

Oldkight said:

As funny as this is in a sense. Women having their period, especially teen girls which anime tends to focus on. Getting or navigating it is an experience. I'm not saying I specifically need to see it but it is odd how series even those written by female mangaka don't have it all that often.
Jun 28, 2023 9:34 PM

Mar 2020
Well you have 17 anime watched lol 🤣 come on the reason why you haven’t seen it ever being said it’s cause you literally barely watched any anime whatsoever also it’s common decency not to talk about it to much so most shows don’t also 90% of shows are for 13 yo and mainly boys so it’s not really in their stack of interest to bring that up.
Jun 29, 2023 1:58 AM

Feb 2020
You should definitely watch Oniichan wa Oshimai!
Jun 29, 2023 2:01 AM

Mar 2020
Same reason you usually never see characters coughing unless they're dying of a deadly disease. If it isn't relevant, don't include it.
In the end, all girls are like the rose bride
Jun 29, 2023 2:04 AM

May 2018
"Why anime girls don't have periods?"

They have or don't have periods when this is convenient for the plot.
Jun 29, 2023 2:26 AM

Oct 2012
There are a lot of things anime characters don't have, since they are mostly aimed towards a younger audience that don't care for these kinds of realism. In the case of periods, it also isn't relevant to most plots (hence isn't a part of most Hollywood movies either).
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 29, 2023 3:37 AM

Nov 2018
CosmicWhore said:
Never seen an anime where they show girls having periods why is that? 

You just need to watch more anime. There certainly are examples out there.
Jun 29, 2023 3:44 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
"Why anime girls don't have periods?"

It's probably because police stole their rights to have one

Jun 29, 2023 3:48 AM
Jul 2018
Perhaps the reason might be that's obvious that they have it... as well by far I think science doesn't have a place in anime world...
Jun 29, 2023 3:49 AM

Nov 2022
One other example of why anime girls are just better than 3D ones.

Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jun 29, 2023 3:54 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Shion no Ou has a very significant scene where a girl gets their first menstrual cycle and flips out.
Jun 29, 2023 3:54 AM

Jul 2021
99% of the time periods are not relevant to the plot exception is onimai. also what's the use of showing a basic normal bodily function in anime?

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 29, 2023 4:52 PM

Jun 2023
katsucats said:
There are a lot of things anime characters don't have, since they are mostly aimed towards a younger audience that don't care for these kinds of realism. In the case of periods, it also isn't relevant to most plots (hence isn't a part of most Hollywood movies either).
What about Seinen and Josei, why is it rare even for anime made for an adult audience?
Jun 29, 2023 4:56 PM

Jun 2017
Naisho no Tsubomi is about this sort of thing.

There's also a brief scene in Only Yesterday where the main character has a flashback to school and learning about periods.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite anime spring 2024

ani2016 - Jun 10

32 by Vendicator »»
2 minutes ago

» What are some kinks anime has awoken inside you?

Thy-Veseveia - 9 hours ago

17 by Vendicator »»
5 minutes ago

» Least Favorite Characters

Jackof-allspades - 30 minutes ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime characters you like ONLY for their fanservice? (be honest)

asureiwong - 9 hours ago

11 by Vendicator »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

134 by mshfqtny »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.