Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 5, 2020 11:12 PM
May 2019
I think the myanimelist website honestly looks terrible, it would be nice to have a UI as beautiful as anilist or modern at least. I understand this site is old, but I'm sure a new website can be made with the same domain...
also while you're at it, we need mobile apps too. anilist alone has about 7... and they all look good. we need proper MAL clients ... thank you.
Mar 6, 2020 3:15 AM
Jul 2018
Thunders911 said:
I think the myanimelist website honestly looks terrible, it would be nice to have a UI as beautiful as anilist.

I think anilist looks somewhat ... and I really like MAL's design. It might be, as you said, old, but really easy to navigate.
Mar 6, 2020 2:22 PM

May 2018
MAL did have an app but the project got dropped or something, like the group making it stopped and its no longer on the app store.

Like you said, yeah, this website looks and is really old. But it would be too much effort to change it, when most people are used to the website how it is and there is too much risk of backlash if people do not like the new design; its safer to keep it how it is.

You could just use anilist instead if you prefer it to MAL, but its up to you.
Mar 6, 2020 2:50 PM
Aug 2017
Seijatachiiii said:
when most people are used to the website how it is

There could be an option to choose which version you wish to use
Mar 6, 2020 3:55 PM

Mar 2010
I actually like the simplicity of the site. Anilist's site also don't work when I use a different mobile browser that I normally use, like I can't save a anime entry so I just exit the site. (not using chrome)

Myanimelist do have multiple apps I believe.
StardewMar 7, 2020 4:50 PM
Mar 6, 2020 4:04 PM

Jan 2009
i suggested weeks ago that they make a progressive web app instead
make a progressive web app (PWA) instead of a native mobile app
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1821824

as for the modern design i like the current anime planets minimalist design rather than what anilist have, you can see it here https://www.anime-planet.com/
Mar 6, 2020 8:03 PM

Sep 2019
Thunders911 said:
I think the myanimelist website honestly looks terrible, it would be nice to have a UI as beautiful as anilist or modern at least. I understand this site is old, but I'm sure a new website can be made with the same domain...
also while you're at it, we need mobile apps too. anilist alone has about 7... and they all look good. we need proper MAL clients ... thank you.

Bruh, Use Mal. Functionality over Looks.
Mar 7, 2020 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
I'm happy with it as is. would be great if technical issues could be resolved quicker in future.
Mar 7, 2020 5:30 AM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
As someone who avidly flips between sections and pages for post material and collecting data, a messy interface like anilist's would be utterly crippling. Function over form any day.
Mar 7, 2020 5:42 PM

Aug 2015
I don't mind the layout of the site. In fact, I prefer it over the "modern" type of style sites with full width and mobile-friendly looks.

However, what I do get annoyed by is that there are so many features people have been requesting for YEARS that are currently being used on other sites, but mal developers keep ignoring these suggestions. I keep seeing answers like "we are not going to waste time making a feature we don't NEED". Oh shut up, most of these are super simple features such as allowing users to sort their lists by score as default. I could code that in 5 minutes. This leads me to believe mal devs are either a) lazy as hell or b) stupidly ignorant thinking they have a perfect site that does not need to evolve
JokucMar 7, 2020 5:54 PM
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Mar 7, 2020 6:05 PM

Apr 2016
This entire argument constructed on personal preferences alone. I don't think suggestions like this would even be noted much less looked at. The simplicity of MAL is great and taking away this design MAL users are much familiar with wouldn't fly. People would riot over it.
Mar 7, 2020 11:03 PM

Jul 2019
I think there's nothing wrong with it. It's super easy to use and the designs are simple which is nice. And I like how everything here is formatted
Mar 7, 2020 11:51 PM
Feb 2015
Jokuc said:
I don't mind the layout of the site. In fact, I prefer it over the "modern" type of style sites with full width and mobile-friendly looks.

However, what I do get annoyed by is that there are so many features people have been requesting for YEARS that are currently being used on other sites, but mal developers keep ignoring these suggestions. I keep seeing answers like "we are not going to waste time making a feature we don't NEED". Oh shut up, most of these are super simple features such as allowing users to sort their lists by score as default. I could code that in 5 minutes. This leads me to believe mal devs are either a) lazy as hell or b) stupidly ignorant thinking they have a perfect site that does not need to evolve

Completely agree
Mar 8, 2020 10:38 AM

Nov 2017
its simplicity is the reason why its my main anime database website. sites like anilist look like 2010s websites trying to look modern but it just looks pretentious imo.
Mar 9, 2020 8:20 AM

Jun 2015
Please do not ruin MAL's beautiful web design with shitty minimalism or other terrible modern trends. MAL is one of the few websites I can go to nowadays and not want to gouge my eyes out.

๐Ÿ’– ๐ผ'๐“‚ ๐’ฝ๐’ถ๐“Ž๐’น๐‘’๐“ƒโฃ ๐Ÿ’–

โ‹† หš๏ฝกโ‹†เญจเญงหš ๐Ÿ’ ๐’ฏ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐“‰๐‘’๐“‡ ๐Ÿ’ ๐’ด๐‘œ๐“Š๐’ฏ๐“Š๐’ท๐‘’ ๐Ÿ’ หšเญจเญงโ‹†๏ฝกหš โ‹†
๐Ÿ’ ๐‘€๐“Ž๐น๐’พ๐‘”๐“Š๐“‡๐‘’๐’ž๐‘œ๐“๐“๐‘’๐’ธ๐“‰๐’พ๐‘œ๐“ƒ ๐Ÿ’
Mar 9, 2020 1:24 PM

Jun 2017
AL is cool cause it's BLACK.
Their twitter-like social area is neat too.

I'll stick with MAL since updating lists on 2 different sites every time I read or watch something is a hassle.
I have an AL, but I'll just update that every half a year-ish using the import feature

MAL, give us a Dark Theme option please.
Mar 9, 2020 1:31 PM

Jul 2019
It should be like reddit where you can still view it as it's old version while having the ability to use a new UI
Swagernator said:
God damn, another gay thread upon us.
Mar 11, 2020 10:01 AM

Apr 2017
Personally the reason why I use MAL is exactly the design. It's clean and functional. I really dislike AniList's design. At least on computer it looks like someone lazily exported mobile UI for desktop and it's horrible and clunky to use. Every element is also too big and wasting too much space needlessly which leads to a lot of scrolling. Personally I love MAL the way it is. It could certainly use some UI improvements here and there, but overall I don't want its design to change. Some back end upgrade would be nice however.
Mar 11, 2020 11:43 AM

Oct 2012
Personally, I think this is an absurd suggestion. If there are minor quick fixes that can improve experience, fine. But "give us a new website"? Why would MAL spend that development cost? Even if it can make a better site, it would be the same feature-wise, and likely generate no significant change in income.

It's even worse if they build a new site and still allow users to use the old one, and have to support 2 versions of the site at the same time.

My suggestion to OP and everyone else in here is to build your own site, one that you think will have the best design. There needs to be more competition in this space anyways.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 17, 2021 1:57 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Honestly the only thing I'd hope MAL had was for the page to be dynamic, most importantly when changing the size or the page it is not good thing for a website to fo over the border of the window (or make a side scroll). I browse mal on like 1/3 screen often while doing other stuff as I don't have multiple screens ans sometimes the side scrolling gets really annoying. Most pages work dynamically nowadays and it's not even that difficult to do.
Jul 17, 2021 3:33 AM

Aug 2018
I think I'm in the minority, but I prefer mal's UI over anilist's
_______I like rocks__
Aug 2, 2021 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
Please don't give them ideas. It works just fine this way, no need to change it. We don't need anilist 2.
Aug 16, 2021 2:39 AM

Aug 2019
No if this happened I will quit myanimelist ุŒ I don't want childish design.
Aug 26, 2021 9:26 AM

Aug 2021
Hmm, I'm a little conflicted about this. On one hand, I like this design and if I ever wanted to change it, I'd just write myself a userstyle to fix the situation.

On the other hand?

Well, I have an extension on my computer that lets me know what a site is built with (it tries to detect what the backend of the site uses)...

... and as it turns out, MAL is using Vue.js now.

Interesting. Very interesting. It certainly gives those grey cells a workout.
Nolo contendere.
Jan 9, 2022 11:46 PM

Feb 2020
Why do u want mal to make a new website which look like anilist, when u can directly use anilist?
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 10, 2022 3:33 AM

Jul 2013
I just have one suggestion to the UI.

Make the font bigger so my old eyes can see better because I been using the site in 120-150 zoom and honestly is not a good experience wwwwww

The point where the darkness lies
Is the place I hide my true self
Are you prepared to open your eyes?
Cause between those line is yourself
Jan 10, 2022 7:45 AM
Jan 2015
I agree with you. MAL user experience is straight out terrible. Only reason i even us this website is because of the number of users and it got it users by being first in the race.
Being primarily an anime db website, it got really stupid tagging, look at anime-planet. They did a good job on search by tags.

MAL's advance search feature does not even have card UI. IT SUCKS big time
Jan 12, 2022 2:07 PM

Aug 2017
MAL doesn't need any drastic UI changes (since this is what "new website" implies), it's "old" (that doesn't mean bad) but functional. Databases need to be updated a lot more frequently, though.
Jan 13, 2022 1:57 AM

Feb 2011
Don't fix what's not broken. Also, from a visual standpoint MAL looks better than most modern sites.
Jan 17, 2022 7:03 AM
Jan 2022
I just joined so maybe my opinion is not very valid at this point, but I find the website pretty easy to navigate and find things. No problems so far, especially compared to a few other sites I use.
Jan 17, 2022 8:04 PM

Jul 2007
NotCat said:
really easy to navigate.

Most important thing ever.

I just got a new Android phone and it is driving me nuts trying to find things that were so simple to use in my old phone.

Don't change my guilty pleasure as well.
Jan 18, 2022 11:07 PM

Jan 2021
For me the look of the site is what makes it so unique, I use anilist too but it just feels better to use mal forums
Jan 18, 2022 11:27 PM

Jan 2019
tbh one of the main reason why I use MAL is because I like the design, very simple
Jan 21, 2022 12:21 PM

Nov 2013
It's simple and it works. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it. I very much prefer this to overly complicated anilist.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 24, 2022 3:21 AM

Feb 2021
As weird as it may sound, I actually like the simple look of MAL. Also, the forums and discussions on AL seem weird. Maybe cause I've been using MAL for a while. I do like AL's quick add feature.

Feb 1, 2022 4:36 AM
May 2019
Main reason I use MAL over pretty much any other anime and manga tracking site is because of the way it looks and functions, and I've heard others say the same. I REALLY don't like modern web design, often times it takes up too much screen realestate when it doesn't need to, plus there's the issue of lots of modern websites using way too much JavaScript that makes them feel sluggish even on my fairly recent and decently strong gaming PC.

I was briefly using MyDramaList to track the Asian dramas I watch but I literally had to stop using it because the modern design made it feel way too clunky for my tastes, made me feel like I was almost fighting it whenever I used it. That's admittedly a bit of a bad comparison though since MDL is kinda worse than the average modern website, imo

keySL said:
I just have one suggestion to the UI.

Make the font bigger so my old eyes can see better because I been using the site in 120-150 zoom and honestly is not a good experience wwwwww

I believe there's some extensions for Firefox and Chrome that let you change just the font size of websites that saves your settings per-website, though I don't know any by name unfortunately. Would be a great feature to somehow include as an option in the user settings tho
Feb 11, 2022 5:36 PM

Aug 2017
MAL isn't even old in the first place. Just look MAL in 2009 in archives.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 28, 2022 2:55 AM
May 2022
What I do get irritated through is that there are such a lot of capabilities human beings have been soliciting for for YEARS which might be currently being used on other Custom Web design Utah, however mal builders keep ignoring these hints.
tshdeu36Jun 1, 2022 5:25 AM
May 28, 2022 3:16 AM

Feb 2010
Terrible suggestion, I would probably stop being active if that ever happens. Don't change a working system. There's plenty of other options out there for people who only care about shit looking 'modern'. You don't have to pick MAL. I have nowhere else to go if MAL starts looking as shittily modern as the rest of the internet. Everything doesn't have to look the same and everything doesn't have to look 'new' just for the sake of it. Let us have a bit of variety, a few options instead of just accepting one look (modern and shiny) and wanting every single site to look exactly the same. I don't see any upside to that.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 28, 2022 6:48 AM

Dec 2021
personally, i love the old-looking MAL design.it reminds me of days when i was new to the internet. i just took look on Anilist to grasp what it looks like and i don't want MAL to look like this :(
May 28, 2022 8:33 AM

Sep 2010
imagine if there was a way for users to change the way the website looks. oh wait, there is (โ˜ž๏พŸใƒฎ๏พŸ)โ˜ž

May 28, 2022 11:11 AM
Osmanthus Mage

Apr 2020
You mean dark mode, softer colors, and rounded corners? Nah, I'd rather they keep it as it is. It already looks simple enough to navigate without getting lost, no need for unnecessary oversimplification.

MAL already provided a feature that lets us customize our list design, but having the same in our profile ain't a bad idea.

Signatures are too distracting

^ visit my webby ^

May 28, 2022 1:42 PM

Sep 2010
A native dark mode would be nice because it doesn't always work too well with addons. Other than that the design is fine. Could also just make a legacy and a modern mode but we all know that's not gonna happen anyway.
May 29, 2022 3:42 AM

Dec 2015
I actually like the clean and classic design - on the website overall and also on the lists where I am not forced to use the modern design. Loads fast on older computer. And is easy for the eyes - and easy to navigate.

Better than huge fancy colored buttons and stuff - and a lot of auto-updating stuff loading in the background.
May 16, 2023 12:21 AM
May 2023
It may sound strange but I really appreciate the minimalist design of MyAnimeList. Additionaly, I find the Anime forums to be unfamiliar and odd.

More topics from this board

» Can we have comment section for reviews like MyDramaList?

DigiCat - 12 hours ago

3 by WaffleMaster89 »»
4 hours ago

» Why Current Events should come back

GoatPieceLuffy - Today

6 by WaffleMaster89 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » "Community Rating" section should be an option to our Manga/Anime lists

USDJPY - Today

0 by USDJPY »»
Today, 3:20 AM

» A new subsection for the People page, new features as well

_cjessop19_ - Today

0 by _cjessop19_ »»
Today, 12:23 AM

» Who thought this was a good idea?

Shenhe - Yesterday

4 by Saphiran »»
Today, 12:11 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.